Dutch Boyd's Crew

BillMM

Jul 31, 2003, 9:54:50 PM7/31/03
http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/result8115.htm

Anybody heard of this before?

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com

The Beet Man

Jul 31, 2003, 11:23:54 PM7/31/03
"BillMM" <anon...@yahoo.com> wrote:

"Look out, here comes "The Crew." A few months ago, six young poker
players, five men and a woman aged 21-25, bursting with energy and
enthusiasm,"

and a stolen bankroll, or is Russ Boyd the only thief in that crowd?

--
This post brought to you courtesy of the Beet Man.

dave keiser

Aug 1, 2003, 12:58:14 AM8/1/03
He holds on to the bankroll,after all he's a lawyer and can be trusted
with money,as been proven in the past.

On Jul 31 2003 5:01PM, The Beet Man wrote:

> and a stolen bankroll, or is Russ Boyd the only thief in that crowd?
>
> --
> This post brought to you courtesy of the Beet Man.

wamplerr

Aug 1, 2003, 1:55:23 AM8/1/03
Sounds like a crock of shit. Did anyone witness this final table?

Posted using RGP ACCESS at http://www.LiveActionPoker.com

MVentolo

Aug 1, 2003, 2:18:59 AM8/1/03
From: The Beet Man bee...@splot.org

>"Look out, here comes "The Crew." A few months ago, six young poker
>players, five men and a woman aged 21-25, bursting with energy and
>enthusiasm,"

I thought it was funny that they put over the shared bankroll stuff... I mean,
doesn't that make them sound a tad shady, considering who their leader is?
Wouldn't want anyone to think collusion is possible...

What a bunch of marks for themselves... I don't think I could root harder for a
group of people to fail...

Then again, if it's a shared bankroll and Russ Boyd's the boss, maybe the
"crew" should expect to run into a "crew" of angry Pokerspot players sooner or
later... then, not only would they fail, they'd probably get beaten
senseless... that's probably better.

goin2vegas03

Aug 1, 2003, 5:38:11 AM8/1/03
I think it's commendable, congratulations to The Crew and their
indefatigable leader, Russ Boyd.

Russ Boyd is an poker icon and a pioneer in online gaming. He deserves a
place in the Poker Hall of Fame, put his picture up there alongside the
mugshot/artist's depiction of "Red" Hodges and "Noted Cardsharp" Al
Bernstein.

It would be greatly appreciated if an RGPer could post a link to a picture
of Russ Boyd so his legions of fans may seek him out at future events and
pay their respects to the Grand Young Man of poker. I'd be happy to
PhotoShop a photo and pass out flyers at the next big tournament. Maybe
we could do a 'theme' poster, you know like one of those old west 'Wanted
Dead Or Alive' posters, with Russ wearing a cowboy hat and holding Aces
and Eights, just like fellow poker legend Wild Bill Hicock!

To make it more realistic, let's say "Reward:$100,000", or a sum not
unadjacent to the amount owed to PokerSpot players (I'm just pulling a
number out of thin air here). Wouldn't that be neat?

Godspeed to you and your pack Mr. Boyd! And remember, the only bad
publicity is an obituary.

Yosh N. is 106 years old.

*Once I was playing 6-12 HE duing graveyard at Excalibur. I was playing 4
handed with 3 young guys, 2 of whom were friends. One of the guys was
named Russ, a slim babyfaced young man in his early 20s with clear blue
eyes and a brushcut, and was known to the staff. I remember thinking
'hey, maybe this is that Russ Boyd guy I've read about in RGP. But he
looks too young, and I hear he is keeping a low profile, so maybe it's not
him'. Of course, Boyd is not the only cheat in America named Russ. My
Spidey Senses tingled early and I watched their play for cheating. Too
often their play coincided with what one would expect from colluders.
Then this hand came up:

"Russ" limps, I bring King-whatever in for a raise, "Russ"' friend calls
in BB.
Flop is low, checked to me, I bet, both call.
Turn is a rag, I bet, both call. I have no pair and have given up buying
the pot by this point but I have been playing the hand aggressively thus
far. I will check and fold the river unless a king hits.
I forget the river card but it made a 3 flush and the final board is Q
high. Now here's where it gets interesting:

I am one of those players who watches players eyes rather than the
flop/turn/river card. In fact, I didn't even look at the river card until
it was 2 bets to me. I watched "Russ"' eyes the whole time and when the
river card came, his clear blue eyes were looking right into his parnters
eyes with a really auspicious look unlike anything I've ever seen. BB
bets out, Russ raises. Two raises into the preflop/flop/turn aggressor.

I fling my cards into the muck in disgust and holler "Seat Open!" to the
floorman sitting 3 feet from me. BB is sitting in the seat on my left; I
am glaring at him and it's pretty obvious I'm going to go postal if he
mucks his hand to his friend's bet, so he calls and sheepishly turns over
Ace high. No pair, nothing. Russ shows his flush.

Aug 1, 2003, 9:32:14 AM8/1/03

"The Beet Man" <bee...@splot.org> wrote in message

Stop crossposting 'Beet Man' or I'll report your sorry arse!

NWBurbsCouple

Aug 1, 2003, 9:36:55 AM8/1/03
These guys are out to "revolutionize" poker and, after several months, all
they've entered is a $100 buy-in tourney? This was the funniest Max Shapiro
column ever.

recoilmag.com

Aug 1, 2003, 10:55:32 AM8/1/03
I played $4-$8 Hold'em with this kid Joe at Binion's a couple of months
ago. He talked a lot about his Crew because he was trying to impress
another player's girlfriend. He said something like, "There're a bunch of
us that all play poker pretty well and we live together in California and
just play for a living. A friend of ours, Dutch Boyd, won a bunch of money
here at the World Series and he kind of got us started." He seemed pretty
good; he really got under the skin of one older guy at the table whom he
kept beating. The guy kept muttering, 'Cocky little prick, thinks he's so
good.' I really hated that guy so I guess I liked Joe.

Cliff
recoilmag.com

Raymond Wright

Aug 1, 2003, 11:31:23 AM8/1/03
Typo I guess?

"there were 10 players to a table and 11 tables with 19."

Wouldn't the proper format be 30-10 and 1-9 ? Actually I guess it doesn't
matter. My format would require a lot more dealers initially.

Regards,
Ray W

"BillMM" <anon...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

AlwaysAware

Aug 1, 2003, 11:43:47 AM8/1/03
This is the entire sentence:

A door-busting crowd of 352 players showed up for this $25,000 guaranteed
event, and to accommodate them, there were 10 players to a table and 11 tables
with 19.

To me that suggests they didn't have enough tables to do a "proper format"

Joan

AlwaysAware

Aug 1, 2003, 11:49:56 AM8/1/03
>(NWBurbsCouple)

>These guys are out to "revolutionize" poker and, after several months, all
>they've entered is a $100 buy-in tourney? This was the funniest Max Shapiro
column ever.

I don't find it funny.. This is a quote from the article: "Tonight three of
them entered their first live tournament as "Crew" members"

I read this to mean it is the first tournament they played together. Did they
play as individuals or did they play as a team?

Joan

NWBurbsCouple

Aug 1, 2003, 11:50:06 AM8/1/03

>This is the entire sentence:
>
>A door-busting crowd of 352 players showed up for this $25,000 guaranteed
>event, and to accommodate them, there were 10 players to a table and 11
>tables
>with 19.

Perhaps he meant "and 19 tables with 11." That Max Shapiro is such a card! The
Joker!!!!

NWBurbsCouple

Aug 1, 2003, 12:00:21 PM8/1/03
>Did they
>play as individuals or did they play as a team?

Oh, I'm sure there was no soft play or collusion of any kind. After all,
anything associated with Dutch Boyd (or "Dutch Boy", as Shaprio wrote it) must
be on the up and up. Shaprio was positively gushing about them, and indeed
what a great new idea for poker: team play. Gee, think it could be done
online? naaaaahhh.

AlwaysAware

Aug 1, 2003, 12:13:36 PM8/1/03
>nwburb...@aol.comnojunk

> Shaprio was positively gushing about them, and indeed
>what a great new idea for poker: team play. Gee, think it could be done
>online? naaaaahhh.

I don't know that he was gushing... it's perhaps easy to think that he was
being "positive" about this "crew".. but perhaps it was his way of getting the
word out.

I, for one, appreciate knowing about it.

Joan

Raymond Wright

Aug 1, 2003, 12:30:33 PM8/1/03

Well I did say typo?

Regards,
Ray W

"NWBurbsCouple" <nwburb...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

NWBurbsCouple

Aug 1, 2003, 12:49:33 PM8/1/03
>I, for one, appreciate knowing about it.

I do, too. But it's appalling that a "journalist" like Shapiro would be so
positive about group play. Here's betting a real journalist like Andy Glazer
would have discussed the ethical aspects.

OrangeSFO

Aug 1, 2003, 3:09:15 PM8/1/03
"goin2vegas03" <anon...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3f2a3503$0$63800$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>...

> It would be greatly appreciated if an RGPer could post a link to a picture
> of Russ Boyd so his legions of fans may seek him out at future events and
> pay their respects to the Grand Young Man of poker.

Just look for the guy doing the fancy and "intimidating" chip tricks.

"Dutch" Boyd can shuffle chips, roll chips, bounce chips, flip chips,
and make a whole company and all it's customers' deposits disappear!

Magic!

Peg Smith

Aug 1, 2003, 3:45:04 PM8/1/03
In article <20030801114956...@mb-m13.aol.com>, alway...@aol.com
(AlwaysAware) writes:

>...I read this to mean it is the first tournament they played together. Did

>they
>play as individuals or did they play as a team?

It's my understanding that this kind of shit goes on all the time and there's
no way to prevent it. The Crew aren't trying to hide what they're doing (so, of
course, are bringing a lot of negative attention to themselves), but if we all
scream to high heaven about it they'll just do it secretly -- as other teams do
-- and it still won't be stopped.

I agree with you that sharing bankrolls and taking significant pieces of each
other isn't a good thing; but I don't have any ideas about how to stop it. Does
anyone?

Peg

Gary Carson

Aug 1, 2003, 5:52:33 PM8/1/03
On 01 Aug 2003 16:49:33 GMT, nwburb...@aol.comnojunk
(NWBurbsCouple) wrote:

Real journalists don't inject their personal moral agenda into a
story, the just organize and present the facts and let the reader make
their own judgment.

Positively 5th Street is 7th on the list this week
Bestseller list
http://garycarson.rediffblogs.com/

AlwaysAware

Aug 1, 2003, 6:27:04 PM8/1/03
How blatant or subtle he is may also depend on who is paying for the article to
be written.

>(NWBurbsCouple) wrote:

>>I do, too. But it's appalling that a "journalist" like Shapiro would
>be so
>>positive about group play. Here's betting a real journalist like
>Andy Glazer
>>would have discussed the ethical aspects.

> (Gary Carson)

AlwaysAware

Aug 1, 2003, 6:38:28 PM8/1/03
I wasn't screaming.. I agree it is better it is out in the open and I don't
know that it can be stopped.. it was a "suggestive question" only. A lot of
newbies read this group, it would be a shame if they felt it was OK for poker
to be a "team" sport.

Joan

NWBurbsCouple

Aug 1, 2003, 8:49:37 PM8/1/03
>Real journalists don't inject their personal moral agenda into a
>story, the just organize and present the facts and let the reader make
>their own judgment.

By that definition, Roger Ebert isn't a journalist, and neither was Bob Greene
(insert joke here), and neither was Red Smith and numerous other Pulitzer
winners.

All journalism isn't objective, nor does it need to be.

Gary Carson

Aug 1, 2003, 9:44:24 PM8/1/03
On 02 Aug 2003 00:49:37 GMT, nwburb...@aol.comnojunk
(NWBurbsCouple) wrote:

I didn't say journalism didn't contain opinion.

Newgca

Aug 1, 2003, 9:48:14 PM8/1/03
>Did they
>play as individuals or did they play as a team?
>
>Joan

It's the new generation.

Newgca

Aug 1, 2003, 9:52:36 PM8/1/03
>but I don't have any ideas about how to stop it. Does
>anyone?
>
>Peg

If a person starts shooting at me, I shoot back. Some just like being shot.

Russ Georgiev

Newgca

Aug 1, 2003, 9:54:22 PM8/1/03
>. A lot of
>newbies read this group, it would be a shame if they felt it was OK for poker
>to be a "team" sport.
>
>Joan

It is a team sport, so why should they be told different? Next they learn to
pass the chips.

Newgca

Aug 1, 2003, 10:01:01 PM8/1/03
>"Dutch" Boyd can shuffle chips, roll chips, bounce chips, flip chips,
>and make a whole company and all it's customers' deposits disappear!
>
>Magic!

Kind of like the Costa Rican WPT? Luis disappears with $160,000,000. I wonder
who steered most of the people to this scam? 1600 people lost $100,000 or
16,000 people lost $10,000. And you talk about a penny ante thief?

The ones that lost the big money are ashamed to even discuss it, that;s what
makes things easier for the big money, people are ashamed to admit they can be
so stupid.

Russ Georgiev

Peg Smith

Aug 1, 2003, 10:11:54 PM8/1/03
In article <20030801204937...@mb-m26.aol.com>,
nwburb...@aol.comnojunk (NWBurbsCouple) writes:

Journalism is objective. If it isn't objective, it's just entertainment. Using
your argument, Card Player magazine is journalism. Riiiiiight.

Peg

Newgca

Aug 2, 2003, 1:38:16 AM8/2/03
>Well I did say typo?
>
>Regards,
>Ray W

Type O?

Mister Poker

Aug 6, 2003, 2:42:49 AM8/6/03
Here's some ideas about team play:

(1) First off, there isn't a theoretical difference between sharing a
bankroll and trading pieces of each other... if three players swap 33%,
they are essentially playing on the same bankroll.

(2) Swapping happens all the time.

(3) Anytime you have an interest in how someone else does, it can often
be a positive ev play to change the way you would play. Sometimes this is
implicit, such as when you bluff out a strong player to make sure the weak
player at the table gets a big pot. Sometimes it's not so implicit, such
as when you have 50% of a buddy, and he has very few chips left... then
you're in a spot where if you make a certain call against another short
stack and win, he'll be knocked out.

(4) Some ideas for protecting players :

Mister Poker

Aug 6, 2003, 2:56:01 AM8/6/03
Some ideas on "team" play :

(1) Swapping percentages of a player is theoretically no different than
playing off the same bankroll. The end is that one person has a direct
financial interest in how another does in the tournament.

(2) Many situations can come up where the right play changes based on
where certain players are... a great example is when you bluff a strong
player out of a pot to ensure a weaker player advances knowing it will be
easier to beat him out in the future. Another example, which I heard
happened in the tournament, is let's say you're in the BB with a big
stack. You have fifty percent of a player who's got 2 chips left and is
under the gun. Now the SB raises all-in and you look down and see 23o.
Makes plenty of sense to call.

(3) I don't really see how "team play" can be avoided without prohibiting
players from swapping any pieces. If that happens, players will still
swap pieces and it will just be a nice fiction that everyone is playing
for themselves. Variance is too high in the tournament world to keep
percentage deals from happening.

(4) Here are some things that can be done to protect players as much as
possible:

- Tournaments should require players to disclose any percentage deals
that they make with any other players, and make those deals public anytime
those players are seated at a table;

- Whenever possible, players with interests in each other should be
kept at separate tables;

- Whenever any two players with interests in each other are in a hand
together, they are required to show their hand;

- Whenever the tournament is down to deal time, there should be a set
deal which non-"team" participants can opt to take regardless of how the
interested parties feel.

Basically, the idea here is that collusion should only be a problem if it
involves private information. Obviously, you can't share holecards with
teammates. But you also shouldn't be able to keep deal details away from
each other. As long as players at a table are upfront that they have a
deal worked out with each other, I don't see much wrong with it. And
regardless of what anyone says, if you and your best friend (or even
better, family member) make the final table at the WSOP with the exact
same chip cound and are having drinks the night before, you can't tell me
that a deal isn't going to happen and the next day you're going to stay
out of each other's way.

I don't envy the job of coming up with the rules of what exactly qualifies
as collusion.

Dutch

Mister Poker

Aug 6, 2003, 2:57:39 AM8/6/03
Regarding the following story, I'd appreciate a confirmation now that
you've probably seen what I look like that I wasn't the same Russ at your
table. I've never played at the Excalibur.

On Aug 1 2003 2:38AM, goin2vegas03 wrote:

> *Once I was playing 6-12 HE duing graveyard at Excalibur. I was playing 4
> handed with 3 young guys, 2 of whom were friends. One of the guys was
> named Russ, a slim babyfaced young man in his early 20s with clear blue
> eyes and a brushcut, and was known to the staff. I remember thinking
> 'hey, maybe this is that Russ Boyd guy I've read about in RGP. But he
> looks too young, and I hear he is keeping a low profile, so maybe it's not
> him'. Of course, Boyd is not the only cheat in America named Russ. My
> Spidey Senses tingled early and I watched their play for cheating. Too
> often their play coincided with what one would expect from colluders.
> Then this hand came up:
>
> "Russ" limps, I bring King-whatever in for a raise, "Russ"' friend calls
> in BB.
> Flop is low, checked to me, I bet, both call.
> Turn is a rag, I bet, both call. I have no pair and have given up buying
> the pot by this point but I have been playing the hand aggressively thus
> far. I will check and fold the river unless a king hits.
> I forget the river card but it made a 3 flush and the final board is Q
> high. Now here's where it gets interesting:
>
> I am one of those players who watches players eyes rather than the
> flop/turn/river card. In fact, I didn't even look at the river card until
> it was 2 bets to me. I watched "Russ"' eyes the whole time and when the
> river card came, his clear blue eyes were looking right into his parnters
> eyes with a really auspicious look unlike anything I've ever seen. BB
> bets out, Russ raises. Two raises into the preflop/flop/turn aggressor.
>
> I fling my cards into the muck in disgust and holler "Seat Open!" to the
> floorman sitting 3 feet from me. BB is sitting in the seat on my left; I
> am glaring at him and it's pretty obvious I'm going to go postal if he
> mucks his hand to his friend's bet, so he calls and sheepishly turns over
> Ace high. No pair, nothing. Russ shows his flush.

AlwaysAware

Aug 6, 2003, 8:29:03 AM8/6/03
OK, I'll bite, please take this thought further:

>From: "Mister Poker"

>Sometimes it's not so implicit, such
>as when you have 50% of a buddy, and he has very few chips left... then
>you're in a spot where if you make a certain call against another short
>stack and win, he'll be knocked out.

What is the crew's philosophy on playing each other in general? How did two
team members end up chopping the Hustler event? Was there any soft play, was
there at any point plays made or not made based on the other team member(s)?
What about when it became short handed and then down to three? Did the third
guy get "squeezed" at all? Or, was there an understanding that poker isn't a
team sport unlike what auto racing has become.. and everyone played their
hardest even against members of the crew?

You claim to want to revolutionize poker, I am curious exactly what that means.

Joan

Peg Smith

Aug 6, 2003, 1:59:41 PM8/6/03
In article <3f30a680$0$15197$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>, "Mister Poker"
<anon...@yahoo.com> writes:

>...Tournaments should require players to disclose any percentage deals

>that they make with any other players, and make those deals public anytime

>those players are seated at a table...

Those who don't want to disclose their deals with each other won't. I see no
point in implementing a rule that's unenforceable.

Peg

wamplerr

Aug 6, 2003, 2:19:32 PM8/6/03
"And regardless of what anyone says, if you and your best friend (or
even better, family member) make the final table at the WSOP with the
exact
same chip cound and are having drinks the night before, you can't tell
me that a deal isn't going to happen and the next day you're going to
stay
out of each other's way."

I can tell you this. There are players who would avoid this
specifically because it will harm the integrity of the event. If the
piece was large enough that I would feel bad or cost myself a lot of
money by busting the other person, I would not do this, and I think many
feel the same way. It's one thing to take a piece of each other before
the start of a tournament, where you probably wont run into each other
(as long as it's not more than say 20%?), but making this deal once you
reach the final table is bullshit. I advise you to avoid making blanket
statements about people's ethics until you develop your own sense of
ethics.

Posted using RGP ACCESS at http://www.LiveActionPoker.com

NWBurbsCouple

Aug 6, 2003, 6:02:14 PM8/6/03
>Another example, which I heard
>happened in the tournament, is let's say you're in the BB with a big
>stack. You have fifty percent of a player who's got 2 chips left and is
>under the gun. Now the SB raises all-in and you look down and see 23o.
>Makes plenty of sense to call.

Ah, ethics.

Three Bet Brett

Aug 8, 2003, 2:12:44 PM8/8/03
Joan,
My name is Brett, and I was one of the two "crew" members who
chopped at the end of the Hustler Tourney. These thoughts bring up
some very Interesting questions, ones that we have discussed in
considerable more detail since that Tourney. First Off, I want to
point out that in tournaments "crew" members have a majority stake in
themselves, so it is in their best interest, from a strictly finacial
standpoint, to play "hard" against all players, including other crew
members. You asked, if when it got down to three did the third guy
get "squeezed". He didn't, and I'm sure if you asked him he would
agree. Its wild that we finished 1-2 in that tourney, it probably
will never happen again, but let me assure you that making it to the
final table out of 352 isn't a fluke. We are fair and ethical, and
our situation is comprable to (Best friend vs Best Friend), Brother vs
Sister (Howard Lederer/Annie Duke), Father vs Son, etc.
And as far as Revolutionizing poker, mostly were talking about getting
in a position to secure corporate sponsership, by giving corporations
a "crew" to sponser. I hope I've answered some of your questions,
good luck at the tables.
Three Bet Brett

Mike O'Malley

Aug 8, 2003, 2:24:30 PM8/8/03

"Three Bet Brett" <bre...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Joan,
> My name is Brett, and I was one of the two "crew" members who
> chopped at the end of the Hustler Tourney. These thoughts bring up
> some very Interesting questions, ones that we have discussed in
> considerable more detail since that Tourney. First Off, I want to
> point out that in tournaments "crew" members have a majority stake in
> themselves, so it is in their best interest, from a strictly finacial
> standpoint, to play "hard" against all players, including other crew
> members. You asked, if when it got down to three did the third guy
> get "squeezed". He didn't, and I'm sure if you asked him he would
> agree. Its wild that we finished 1-2 in that tourney, it probably
> will never happen again, but let me assure you that making it to the
> final table out of 352 isn't a fluke. We are fair and ethical, and
> our situation is comprable to (Best friend vs Best Friend), Brother vs
> Sister (Howard Lederer/Annie Duke), Father vs Son, etc.
> And as far as Revolutionizing poker, mostly were talking about getting
> in a position to secure corporate sponsership, by giving corporations
> a "crew" to sponser. I hope I've answered some of your questions,
> good luck at the tables.
> Three Bet Brett

My momma once told me something about "the company you keep". I dont
remember what it was or what it meant, but if the company you keep is any
indication of yourself, then you sir, are a scum bag.

wamplerr

Aug 8, 2003, 2:25:48 PM8/8/03
"First Off, I want to point out that in tournaments "crew" members have
a majority stake in themselves, so it is in their best interest, from a
strictly finacial standpoint, to play "hard" against all players,
including other crew members."

We appreciate you posting, but this is still kind of vague. In
tournaments, you have a majority stake in yourself...but what are the
exact numbers? And what kind of arrangement is there outside of
tournaments? Do you play on the same bankroll, sharing all wins and
losses, but never play at the same table? Again, thanks for posting, as
nobody wants to hear "Dutch" talk about it.

RMITCHCOLL

Aug 8, 2003, 2:30:08 PM8/8/03
>My momma once told me something about "the company you keep". I dont
>remember what it was or what it meant, but if the company you keep is any
>indication of yourself, then you sir, are a scum bag.

wow....this hurts me to say...but I agree with Mike completely. how many RGPers
were totally screwed by pokerspot? how much of his wsop win did Russ use to pay
back the people who trusted him? how much of his "crew" cut did he send
minus200 or mssunshine?

dont bother answering...we already know

Randy Collack

Perry Friedman

Aug 8, 2003, 2:40:57 PM8/8/03
Good luck getting and keeping any sponsors. Once they find out the truth
about Russ, I doubt anyone will want to put their name behind him.

Please see my thread "The Truth About Russ Boyd".

Perry

In article <a33d1853.03080...@posting.google.com>,

SYeates485

Aug 8, 2003, 4:40:29 PM8/8/03
Dutch and his crew played the Legends last night $300 no limit. The guy that
won the Hustler event finished 12th.

Gary Carson

Aug 8, 2003, 5:07:29 PM8/8/03
On 8 Aug 2003 11:12:44 -0700, bre...@hotmail.com (Three Bet Brett)

>final table out of 352 isn't a fluke. We are fair and ethical, and

No, you aren't.

You're in business with a scammer. His previous poker venture is a
scam, there is every reason to think is current poker venture is a
scam, there is no reason to think his current partners aren't
scammers.

Fair and ethical people view you with disdain.

Gary Carson

Perry Friedman

Aug 8, 2003, 5:15:40 PM8/8/03

I originally alluded to this a couple of months ago, but now that Russ
is getting all this attention, I felt obligated to come forward with
more details. My original post can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/jfus

Below you will find one of my chats with Russ Boyd. I had contacted
him to talk about Pokerspot and had some reasonable and normal conversations
with him prior to this chat. At one point, he had asked me to become
his mentor, and I said I was not interested. At one point, he
had askedme to become his mentor, and I said I was not interest. After several
"normal" chats, he eventually started becoming very irrational and delusional
and made some bizarre posts to RGP and sent me some strange emails during
this time period as well. During the chat below, he started driving up my
"warning" level on AIM chat for no apparent reason.

I have included one of his chats below, but I have removed his phone number
and social security number for his protection. I have also changed his
AIM ID, since he was not using his "pokerspot" ID. I was hesitant to post
these chats, mostly for Russ' own protection, but I think that given recent
events, it is worth posting. In order to post it with a clear conscience,
I made the changes above because I will not sink to his level.

I also have some saved email from the good old days from Pokerspot where
they were weaseling about cashouts and claiming technical issues.

Like I said in my old post referenced above, I can forgive the chat he had
with me, and dismiss some other things as youthful indiscretion, but he
has been unrepentant about his dealings with the Pokerspot clients
and it was clear some of his actions were intentionally deceitful and
fraudulent. This I cannot forgive.

Regardless of what state of mind he was in when we had these chats, they
should lend some insight into his true character.

RUSSBOYD: You ready yet to take on a protege, Perry?
RUSSBOYD: Can you hear me now? Good.
friedm5: I am here.... not looking at a protege
RUSSBOYD: fuck
RUSSBOYD: Maybe I should change my name to Perry Freed man
RUSSBOYD: you listening?
friedm5: Yes
friedm5: How do I know you are even Russ Boyd?
friedm5: Somehow, I get the feeling you are not
RUSSBOYD: I can give you my number.
RUSSBOYD: you and I can have a little chat about what I've been up to last year.
RUSSBOYD: I hacked poker.
RUSSBOYD: Find out what I did two years ago.
RUSSBOYD: Be my mentor.
RUSSBOYD: Pretty please?
friedm5: You seem a little too juvenile for me
RUSSBOYD: hehe
friedm5: I particularly like all the warnings
RUSSBOYD: Russ Boyd
RUSSBOYD: XXX.XX.XXXX
RUSSBOYD: YYY.YYY.YYYY
RUSSBOYD: I'm a reasonable man...
RUSSBOYD: get off my case.
friedm5: You gonna keep driving up my warning level?
RUSSBOYD: yeah.
friedm5: Cool
friedm5: I may have to block you, then
RUSSBOYD: don't do it yet.
RUSSBOYD: Fuck you
RUSSBOYD: FUCK PERRY FREED MAN
RUSSBOYD: you believe me yet?
RUSSBOYD: You want to win at poker? Win at life first...
RUSSBOYD: if you can't win at life, ask yourself a question:
RUSSBOYD: What's youre Social Security Number?
RUSSBOYD: Mine is XXX.XX.XXXX
friedm5: Well, you seem a bit too juvenile to be Russ Boyd
RUSSBOYD: Exactly
RUSSBOYD: thanks, man.
RUSSBOYD: What's your Social Security Number anyway?
friedm5: Why should I tell you that?
RUSSBOYD: give me a call when you are ready to talk
RUSSBOYD: then maybe we can switch lives for a year?
RUSSBOYD: I want to win at poker
RUSSBOYD: so maybe we make it so nobody loses?
RUSSBOYD: good idea
RUSSBOYD: let's see if it works.
RUSSBOYD: it's all about the buddy system... and I don't like any JEWS.
RUSSBOYD: I'm an Elvis Impersenator and I can tell you why.
friedm5: Well, how would calling you confirm that you are really Russ Boyd?
RUSSBOYD: ELVIS LIVES jews don't
RUSSBOYD: JUDAISM LIVES you don't
friedm5: I may have to report you to AOL for violating their terms of service
RUSSBOYD: FUCK YOU = "How can I help you?"
RUSSBOYD: do it again
RUSSBOYD: I DARE you to fucking do that again
friedm5: No need to... I am just going to report you to AOL for abuse and violating their terms of service
RUSSBOYD: uh oh
RUSSBOYD: I'm getting offline.
RUSSBOYD: You should call Russ Boyd if you think you can keep up.
RUSSBOYD: You know I don't play poker anymore, right?
RUSSBOYD: What if the devil asked you for three more wishes, and called it the contract.
RUSSBOYD: Sounds like a movie, right?
RUSSBOYD: Hopefully it comes out sometime next year.
RUSSBOYD: Just dont' kill yourself over a bad beat at poker.
RUSSBOYD: = Let Perry live the life for awhile until he gets back to me.
RUSSBOYD: just fucking warn me dude.

Perry
PS The above chat would be humorous if it weren't so sad and disturbing.
I felt like I was running Meta-X psychoanalyze-pinhead in Emacs
(which is basically "Zippy the Pinhead" spewing quotes into an
Eliza-like psychoanalysis program).

NWBurbsCouple

Aug 8, 2003, 6:41:51 PM8/8/03
OK, guys and gals, put on your humor caps to answer this simple question: who
would make the best--and most appropriate--sponsor for Dutch Boyd's Crew?

RMITCHCOLL

Aug 8, 2003, 6:51:53 PM8/8/03
>OK, guys and gals, put on your humor caps to answer this simple question:
>who
>would make the best--and most appropriate--sponsor for Dutch Boyd's Crew?

Enron?
Brylcream?

Randy

Ace

Aug 8, 2003, 7:57:57 PM8/8/03
"Real journalists" as you call them are extinct.

"Gary Carson" <garyc...@alumni.northwestern.edu> wrote in message
> On 01 Aug 2003 16:49:33 GMT, nwburb...@aol.comnojunk
> (NWBurbsCouple) wrote:
>
> >>I, for one, appreciate knowing about it.
> >
> >I do, too. But it's appalling that a "journalist" like Shapiro would
> be so
> >positive about group play. Here's betting a real journalist like
> Andy Glazer
> >would have discussed the ethical aspects.

> Real journalists don't inject their personal moral agenda into a
> story, the just organize and present the facts and let the reader make
> their own judgment.

John Harkness

Aug 8, 2003, 8:35:51 PM8/8/03
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:57:57 -0400, "Ace" <ace...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Real journalists" as you call them are extinct.
>
>"Gary Carson" <garyc...@alumni.northwestern.edu> wrote in message

>> >I do, too. But it's appalling that a "journalist" like Shapiro would
>> be so
>> >positive about group play. Here's betting a real journalist like
>> Andy Glazer
>> >would have discussed the ethical aspects.
>>
>> Real journalists don't inject their personal moral agenda into a
>> story, the just organize and present the facts and let the reader make
>> their own judgment.

Define "real journalists"

John Harkness

lvdlrs

Aug 8, 2003, 9:05:48 PM8/8/03

NWBurbsCouple wrote:
> OK, guys and gals, put on your humor caps to answer this simple question: who
> would make the best--and most appropriate--sponsor for Dutch Boyd's Crew?

Dutch Boy Paints. Not only the name but the product as well. Russ,
you see, wasn't very good at covering up the writing on the wall.

Gary (...)

3 Bet Brett

Aug 9, 2003, 12:09:18 AM8/9/03
bre...@hotmail.com (Three Bet Brett) wrote in message news:<a33d1853.03080...@posting.google.com>...

> good luck at the tables.
> Three Bet Brett

WTF???!!!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone associated with russ
boyd would rip off my nickname. I hereby order you to cease and
desist, before I send the real russ after you.

brett

Irish Buckwheat

Aug 9, 2003, 1:04:39 AM8/9/03
In article <3f34107a....@news.mindspring.com>,
garyc...@alumni.northwestern.edu (Gary Carson) wrote:

Hey Gary......is your attack on Mike Caro based on fairness and
highlighting your ability to act in an ethical fashion?

Are you a pot?

Are you black?

You can't play both sides of the street Gary.......can't be a dick in
one post, and then the pillar of respect in another.

minus200

Aug 9, 2003, 3:38:51 PM8/9/03
Big Hearted Eddie's Used Cars

Three Bet Brett

Aug 12, 2003, 12:59:40 PM8/12/03
I remember this particular hand very well, because I realized the same
thing during the hand, having a "teammate" at the table with two chips
left, and obviously I realized that it was in his best interest for me
to call, since he could move up a spot in the money if I knocked him
out. However, my call wasn't based on Joe being down to 2 chips, but
based on the pot odds I was getting about 3 to 1, and since I was
holding K4, and I felt I could be up against Ax, I felt like it was in
MY best interest to call. I lost the hand, btw. Three Bet Brett

Three Bet Brett

Aug 12, 2003, 1:17:32 PM8/12/03
Well Mister Poker, you have pretty much to the exact wording wrote in
your post, what we came up as a team. That 1-2 finish Joe and I had
really made us think of any forseeable circumstances that could come
up. Hands being shown when two "crew" members are involved is a way
to ensure integrity. Also, we have no problem with disclosing our
information, as you can see by our openness to talk about it, I assure
everyone that we will be walking a straight line, and everyone will be
watching to make sure. Also, we realize that should two of the crew
make it down to the last 3 in a tourney again, a fair deal should be
made that made all parties happy. Last thing, players for "the crew",
who enter tournaments are given $110 per tourney they enter, less in
smaller tourneys, since the team percentage is not to exceed 40%.
That money is then divided by the buyin for the tourney, and that is
the "crew" percentage of that player for that tourney. Basically,
this is set up so that it is more affordable for our "crew" members to
enter tourneys. Thanks for your feedback Mister Poker, any more
insight is welcome. Good luck, Three Bet Brett

Mike O'Malley

Aug 12, 2003, 1:23:40 PM8/12/03

"Three Bet Brett" <bre...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Well Mister Poker, you have pretty much to the exact wording wrote in
> your post, what we came up as a team.

Maybe I missed something important here (wouldnt be the first time). But
isnt this one scum bag responding to his scum bag friend leader of the crew?

susan

Aug 12, 2003, 2:27:06 PM8/12/03
Brett - Misterpoker IS Russ Boyd. Are you aware of what he did with
pokerspot? Are you aware of how many players he stole $$ from? Are you
partnering with him with you eyes open?

Susan

Perry Friedman

Aug 12, 2003, 2:22:45 PM8/12/03
I find it interesting that Russ has recently responded to various posts
on RGP, but has chosen not to comment on this one.

Perry

In article <bh13ts$sdv$1...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU>,

Chris Leishear

Aug 12, 2003, 6:41:06 PM8/12/03
"Mike O'Malley" <rzi...@adelphia.net.PARTYPOKER.com> wrote in message

> Maybe I missed something important here (wouldnt be the first time). But
> isnt this one scum bag responding to his scum bag friend leader of the
crew?

Believe it or not, RGP has two "Three Bet Bretts" now. I just forget which
one is which, except the newer one is part of Dutch's Crew, and the older
one is pissed his nick got stolen.

-Chris

Mister Poker

Aug 12, 2003, 10:21:22 PM8/12/03
> I find it interesting that Russ has recently responded to various posts
> on RGP, but has chosen not to comment on this one.
>
> Perry

Not sure what's so interesting about it, Perry. What am I supposed to
say? I'm not going to deny the conversation happened, because it almost
certainly did. But I honestly don't remember it. Giving out my social
security number and calling myself an Elvis impersonator isn't something I
normally do unless I'm at the tailend of a two week bender, drunk off my
ass and two shots of whiskey away from alcohol poisoning... and I have
definitely had my share of those since Pokerspot went down.

I'm glad that you can keep a clear conscience by omitting my social
security number before posting a private chat on rgp. I'm also a little
surprised you didn't mention anything about this little chat to me
directly when we saw each other in Vegas at the WSOP, but decided to just
post it on a public forum (as if RGP needs anymore evidence about what a
fuck-up I can be). Not quite sure what your motivations are except just
to throw more mud. If you wanted an apology, you should have just
asked... I AM sorry I said all those crazy things in our chat.

Dutch

On Aug 12 2003 11:22AM, Perry Friedman wrote:

> In article <bh13ts$sdv$1...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU>,
> Perry Friedman <frie...@Xenon.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> >I have included one of his chats below, but I have removed his phone number
> >and social security number for his protection. I have also changed his
> >AIM ID, since he was not using his "pokerspot" ID. I was hesitant to post
> >these chats, mostly for Russ' own protection, but I think that given recent
> >events, it is worth posting. In order to post it with a clear conscience,
> >I made the changes above because I will not sink to his level.

Perry Friedman

Aug 13, 2003, 12:45:09 AM8/13/03
In article <3f39a0a2$0$63778$9a6e...@news.newshosting.com>,

Mister Poker <anon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I find it interesting that Russ has recently responded to various posts
>> on RGP, but has chosen not to comment on this one.
>>
>> Perry
>
>Not sure what's so interesting about it, Perry. What am I supposed to
>say? I'm not going to deny the conversation happened, because it almost
>certainly did. But I honestly don't remember it. Giving out my social
>security number and calling myself an Elvis impersonator isn't something I
>normally do unless I'm at the tailend of a two week bender, drunk off my
>ass and two shots of whiskey away from alcohol poisoning... and I have
>definitely had my share of those since Pokerspot went down.

Well, you had more than one chat like that with me, and several emails as well.
And this was not all in one night, but over several days. Must have been
a hell of a bender. OK, I guess a two week bender could be possible...

>I'm glad that you can keep a clear conscience by omitting my social
>security number before posting a private chat on rgp. I'm also a little
>surprised you didn't mention anything about this little chat to me
>directly when we saw each other in Vegas at the WSOP, but decided to just
>post it on a public forum (as if RGP needs anymore evidence about what a
>fuck-up I can be). Not quite sure what your motivations are except just
>to throw more mud. If you wanted an apology, you should have just
>asked... I AM sorry I said all those crazy things in our chat.
>
>Dutch

Traditionally, one doesn't need to "ask" for apologies. And as far as
remembering the chats, you seemed to remember them to some extent when we
met, because you said something along the lines of "I think I was stoned
every time I chatted with you." Not that you APOLOGIZED, but you just said
you thought you were stoned. I don't think I need to solicit an apology
from you. If you HAD actually made a sincere apology, I certainly would
not have posted any of this. As for why I didn't mention anything about
the chats when I met you, well, first, you made the comment about being
stoned. Second, once I found out who you were (as you were introduced to
me via a third party simply as "Dutch" and I didn't realize who you were
right away), I did not have any desire to speak to you at all. Perhaps you
need to work on your people-reading skills because I am generally one of
the chattiest people in the world, and I don't believe I said a word to you
after finding out who you actually were. Perhaps that should have
indicated something to you about my feelings.

As I have said on more than one occasion, I can forgive the chat below.
Of course, regardless of your state of mind at the time, one doesn't make
comments like "I don't like any JEWS" unless there is something in one's
psyche.

But, what I don't forgive is how you handled (and continue to handle) the
situation with PokerSpot and how you admittedly lied to players about the
cashout situation and continued to accept more funds knowing full well you
couldn't honor cashouts. And then saying you would only make good to all
the PokerSpot customers if you won $2.M but not if you won anything less,
well, that speaks volumes as well.

BTW, do the PokerSpots customers need to ASK for your apology as well?

Perry
PS As to my motivation for posting, I think it is important given your
recent high profile appearances and the comments here about your "crew"
that people should be made aware of your character and history.

Jeb Cline

Aug 13, 2003, 12:54:24 AM8/13/03
On 13 Aug 2003 02:21:22 GMT, "Mister Poker" <anon...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Not sure what's so interesting about it, Perry. What am I supposed to
>say? I'm not going to deny the conversation happened, because it almost
>certainly did. But I honestly don't remember it. Giving out my social
>security number and calling myself an Elvis impersonator isn't something I
>normally do unless I'm at the tailend of a two week bender, drunk off my
>ass and two shots of whiskey away from alcohol poisoning... and I have
>definitely had my share of those since Pokerspot went down.
>
>I'm glad that you can keep a clear conscience by omitting my social
>security number before posting a private chat on rgp. I'm also a little
>surprised you didn't mention anything about this little chat to me
>directly when we saw each other in Vegas at the WSOP, but decided to just
>post it on a public forum (as if RGP needs anymore evidence about what a
>fuck-up I can be). Not quite sure what your motivations are except just
>to throw more mud. If you wanted an apology, you should have just
>asked... I AM sorry I said all those crazy things in our chat.

Why is it that all of the young, brilliant, rich kids feel a need to
fuck everybody over in order to be a success?

wamplerr

Aug 13, 2003, 1:43:15 AM8/13/03
"PS As to my motivation for posting, I think it is important given your
recent high profile appearances and the comments here about your "crew"
that people should be made aware of your character and history."

And to one of the 3 bet brett's, or both of them, or whoever else is in
this crew...Do you think you will gain any legit corporate sponsorship
with this guy as your leader? Gatorade, or Bicycle playing cards, or
Tampax, or whoever the hell you are trying to get as a sponsor does not
want to get involved with people like this. MsSunshine will make 100
phone calls a day until they get through to the corporate HQ and inform
them of his past.

If you want to revolutionize the poker world, start by separating
yourself from Boyd.

OrangeSFO

Aug 13, 2003, 1:45:14 AM8/13/03
Russ Boyd...you are a creepy cat.

Every word of yours I've read, and every second of footage of you in
the WSOP has given me the full-on heebie-jeebies.

Something ain't right about you.

OrangeSFO

Aug 13, 2003, 12:54:06 PM8/13/03
turg...@aol.com (OrangeSFO) wrote in message news:<a9255354.03081...@posting.google.com>...

Oh and...

What was your exclaimation upon being busted in the WSOP...?

"We're going to take over the poker world...!"

or

"We're going to fuck over the poker world...!"

Could you clear that up?

Mister Poker

Aug 13, 2003, 9:19:17 PM8/13/03
To clarify, the quote was "we're going to TAKE over the poker world."

Dutch

On Aug 13 2003 3:01AM, OrangeSFO wrote:

> turg...@aol.com (OrangeSFO) wrote in message

> Oh and...
>
> What was your exclaimation upon being busted in the WSOP...?
>
> "We're going to take over the poker world...!"
>
> or
>
> "We're going to fuck over the poker world...!"
>
> Could you clear that up?

Lou Krieger

Aug 14, 2003, 10:54:22 AM8/14/03

To clarify, the quote was "we're going to TAKE over the poker world." <<

Sounds like something I heard before. Musta been while I was watching
"Pinky and the Brain."

The Beet Man

Aug 16, 2003, 8:38:04 AM8/16/03
On 08 Aug 2003 22:41:51 GMT, nwburb...@aol.comnojunk
(NWBurbsCouple) wrote:

>OK, guys and gals, put on your humor caps to answer this simple question: who
>would make the best--and most appropriate--sponsor for Dutch Boyd's Crew?

Michael Milken

The Beet Man

Aug 16, 2003, 8:39:35 AM8/16/03

The older one is fourf...@aol.com, and I'm pretty sure he came
through for RGP by revealing the names of one or two other people
associated with pokerspot.com, so presumably the "other" Three Bet
Brett is using that nickname to defame "the real" Three Bet Brett.