Foodservice Update (VRG)

Brad Scott

Jan 12, 1994, 6:52:27 PM1/12/94
This is the text form of the premiere issue of "Vegetarian Journal's
Foodservice Update," a newsletter for institutional foodservice providers.

If your foodservice provider would like a paper copy, please send a stamped
($.52), addressed envelope and a note requesting VJ's Foodservice Update to:

The Vegetarian Resource Group
Vegetarian Journal's Foodservice Update
P.O. Box 1463, Dept. IN
Baltimore, MD 21203

For questions or comments on this posting, please contact Brad
Scott at br...@clark.net. This posting may be reproduced
intact or with credit given to The Vegetarian Resource Group.

VEGETARIAN JOURNAL'S FOODSERVICE UPDATE
Healthy Tips and Recipes for Institutions

Volume I, Number 1
Fall 1993

From the editor...

Welcome to the premiere issue of Vegetarian Journal's Foodservice Update.
When I first became a vegetarian over a decade ago, eating out meant
ordering salad. A stay in the hospital meant peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches. Today, vegetarianism is as mainstream as baseball and apple
pie, and vegetarian options are commonplace in schools, camps, hospitals,
restaurants, and even correctional facilities. It only makes sense to
have a publication devoted to providing up-to-date information on serving
meatless meals in institutions. That means that whether you're strictly a
meat-and-potatoes operation that's just looking to add a few healthy
items, or a facility that caters largely to vegetarians, this newsletter
is for you. We'll give information, offer advice, share quantity recipes,
and spotlight leaders in the industry who are providing the healthy
options millions of consumers desire. I'm looking forward to hearing from
you. Call, write, or fax me:

Mary Clifford, RD OR The Vegetarian Resource Group
6451 Cotton Hill Road P.O. Box 1463
Roanoke, VA 24018 Baltimore, MD 21203
Phone: (703) 772-3316 Phone/fax: (410) 366-VEGE

Thanks to Worthington Foods, Inc. for being a Corporate Contributor.

Editor: Mary Clifford, RD

____________________

TEST YOUR NUTRITION KNOWLEDGE
Take this quick quiz to test your nutrition IQ.

1. True False Vegetarians don't get enough protein.

2. True False Avocados, coconut, and palm oil are high in cholesterol.

3. True False If you want to lose weight, skip potatoes, rice, and pasta.

4. True False Tofu is high in fat.

5. True False Honey has more vitamins and minerals than sugar.

Answers

1. False. Vegetarians easily meet their protein needs by eating a varied
diet, as long as they eat enough calories to maintain their weight. It's
not necessary to plan combinations of foods. A mixture of proteins
throughout the day will provide enough essential amino acids. (For more
information, see Position of the American Dietetic Association:
Vegetarian Diets, J Amer Diet Assn, March 1988, and A Vegetarian
Sourcebook by Keith Akers, GP Putnam's Sons, 1983.

2. False. These foods are high in fat, but they don't have any
cholesterol. Cholesterol is only found in animal products, but fat is
found in many foods. Use these and other high-fat foods sparingly, since
research shows that a high-fat diet can lead to heart disease, cancer,
obesity, and high blood cholesterol, among other diseases.

3. False. Most starchy foods, like rice, potatoes, pasta, beans, and
bread, are low in fat or fat-free. They're also a good source of energy.
(That's why many athletes eat plenty of starchy foods before an important
competition.) In order to keep these healthy foods low in fat, avoid
adding extra oil, margarine, or other fatty foods when cooking or serving.

4. False. Tofu has only about 4 grams of fat for a 3-ounce serving.
Compare that to about 20 grams of fat in 3 ounces of beef. Also, Mori-Nu
has just come out with Mori-Nu Lite, the first low-fat tofu, with only 1
gram of fat per 3-ounce serving. For more information, contact Mori-Nu at
Morinaga Nutritional Foods, Inc., 2050 W 190th Street, Suite 110,
Torrance, CA 90504, or call (800) NOW-TOFU.

5. False. Honey, like sugar, maple syrup, and other sweeteners, has very
few nutrients other than calories. Honey does contain trace amounts of
some minerals, but you would have to eat so much of it to get any
significant amounts that you would offset any nutritional benefits.

_________________________

RAMADA CHEF CATERS TO VEGGIE CROWD

Luray Caverns in southwest Virginia was the site of The Vegetarian
Resource Group's 1993 Retreat. The Ramada Inn's restaurant, The
President's Gallery, and it's chef, Bob Smith, provided vegan breakfasts,
lunches, and dinners over a long weekend for 100 people. It proved an
interesting challenge for the chef and his staff. We spoke with Chef
Smith after the conference to talk about the dishes he created.

Foodservice Update: How familiar were you with vegetarian food before
this conference?
Bob Smith: I'd done a lot of vegetarian, but not as strict as this group.
That is, no meat, but I'd used dairy products and eggs.

FU: So was this a real challenge for you?
BS: Yeah it threw a monkey wrench into what had been typical--vegetable
lasagna, macaroni and cheese, that kind of thing. And it's usually a
one-night-shot. You don't have to worry about different selections. This
was a whole weekend. That, and I'm new here and still settling in. When I
started talking to you folks about the menu, I had only been here a week.

FU: Was it difficult?
BS: No. Just right here I don't have the experienced help. There's a
whole lot more labor involved in this than, say, a prime rib dinner.
Those, I just season them, stick them in the oven, and in a couple hours
I'm ready to serve dinner. But everyone was back there chopping vegetables.

FU: What ways could it have been easier?
BS: Frozen vegetables, I guess. But I like to use fresh, and they've got
to be cut. You could use frozen, but I prefer to serve fresh when I can.
If I had more experienced cooks, it wouldn't have been a problem. VRG
sent me some good recipes, and that helped. I learned a lot. I have
watched some vegetarian cooking shows on television.

FU: Did anything stand out about cooking vegetarian food for a crowd?
BS: I don't like a stir-fry for a large crowd. The vegetables don't hold.
Stir-fry needs to be done in a flash. There's no wok back there, and
there's no wok large enough anyway. I've got a braiser, but you throw 20
pounds of cold vegetables in and that kills the heat, and it's steaming
instead of stir-frying. Stir-frys also don't hold real well. Something
like pasta with a marinara sauce, that holds very well. In fact, it's
better if you hold it. And it's ready whenever you want to eat. The
quality of it doesn't go down.

FU: What do you recommend to other chefs trying vegetarian dishes for the
first time?
BS: I think communication, and practice. Like the lentil soup recipe. I
made that twice before I served it to your group. I thought `what the
heck, I have the lentils in, I'll try it.' I put it on our buffet salad
bar and people loved it.

Bob Smith is a self-trained chef. He previously worked at Bryce Resort
Silver Lake Country Club in Florida.

______________________

REMINDER!
Send in your tips, hints, product news, story ideas, and quantity
vegetarian recipes. We'll share as many as we can in upcoming issues!

Call or write me:

Mary Clifford, RD
6451 Cotton Hill Road
Roanoke, VA 24018
(703) 772-3316

____________________

VEGETARIAN QUANTITY RECIPES

EGGLESS, LOW-FAT ZUCCHINI BREAD
Because this loaf doesn't contain any eggs, milk, or butter, it's perfect
for people with allergies or who are on restricted diets. Thanks to Jeff
Shupe, CWC, of Community Hospital of Roanoke Valley, who created this
moist, spicy loaf especially for us. Jeff is a graduate of the Culinary
Institute of America, where he honed his famous baking and pastry skills.

YIELD: About 50 1-inch slices/4 14-inch loaves
PER SERVING: 245 calories, 2 grams fat

INGREDIENTS AMOUNT
Zucchini 5 lbs, seeded and grated
Maple syrup 4 lbs 8 oz
Baking powder 1 1/4 oz
Ground cinnamon 1 oz
Baking soda 3/4 oz
Salt 3/4 oz
Ground cloves 1/8 oz
Ground nutmeg 1/8 oz
Unsweetened applesauce 2 lbs
All-purpose flour 3 lbs 8 oz
Pecans, finely chopped 4 oz

PROCEDURE
Combine all ingredients with whip or other mixer for 5 minutes. Bake in
greased, floured loaf pans at 350 degrees F about one hour or until knife
inserted in center of loaf comes out clean. Let cool overnight before
slicing.

____________________

EGG REPLACERS

Use any one of the following to substitute for one egg in baked goods:
1 mashed, ripe banana
2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
Ener-G Egg Replacer or similar product (available in health food stores
or by mail from Ener-G Foods, Inc., P.O. Box 84487, Seattle, WA 98124
(800) 331-9788.
1/4 cup tofu (blend tofu with liquid ingredients before adding to dry
ingredients)

DAIRY SUBSTITUTES
Soy, nut, or rice milks
Fruit juice (for baked goods)
Soy margarine
Soy yogurt

MEAT SUBSTITUTES
Tempeh (cultured soybeans with a chewy texture)
Tofu (freezing and then thawing gives tofu a `meaty' texture. The tofu
will turn slightly yellow or off-white in color when frozen, but will
return to its natural color when thawed.
Wheat gluten or seitan (made from wheat and has the texture of meat).

Reprinted from Vegetarianism in a Nutshell. For sources of the above
foods, see Vegetarian Quantity Recipes, by The Vegetarian Resource Group.

____________________

VEGETARIAN QUANTITY RECIPES

ASPARAGUS BROWN RICE ORIENTAL MEDLEY
Several years ago I had the privilege of visiting Michigan and learning
about asparagus cultivation and harvesting. I even tasted an asparagus
dessert (as delicious as it sounds). But I do recommend this
eye-appealing main dish, courtesy of the Michigan Asparagus Advisory Board.

YIELD: 16 servings/1 cup per serving
PER SERVING: 210 calories, 4 grams fat

INGREDIENTS AMOUNT
Vegetable oil 3 Tbsp
Asparagus, cut, fresh or frozen 2 lb 8 oz (2 quarts)
thawed, drained
Onions, diced 11 oz (1 pint)
Celery, 1/4 diagonally cut 8 oz (1 pint)
Mushrooms, fresh, sliced 7 1/2 oz (3/4 quart)
Brown rice, cooked 3 lb 10 oz (2 quarts)
Lite soy sauce 5 ounces (1/2 cup)

PROCEDURE
Place oil in steam-jacketed kettle or large non-stick frypan and heat on
med- ium-high heat until oil ripples. Add asparagus, onion, celery, and
mush- rooms. Stir-fry 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir-fry 3
minutes longer or until mixture is hot. Serve immediately.

CHICKPEA SALAD SANDWICH
Reproduced from The Vegetarian Resource Group's Vegetarian Quantity
Recipes. The texture is similar to a tuna- or chicken-salad sandwich. Try
adding garlic for a flavor change of pace, and serve with plenty of
lettuce, tomatoes, and chopped vegetables for color and crunch.

YIELD: 25 sandwiches/4 oz filling per sandwich
PER SERVING: 250 calories, 5 grams fat

INGREDIENT AMOUNT
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans, 4 lbs 12 oz (8 cups or 1-1/2
cooked or canned, drained, and 52-oz cans)
mashed
Celery, finely chopped 10 oz (8 stalks or 2-1/2 cups)
Onions, minced 14 oz (4 medium or 2 cups)
Soy or regular mayonnaise 1 cup
Salt and pepper To taste
Whole wheat bread 50 slices

PROCEDURE
Combine all filling ingredients. Use a rounded #8 dipper or approx. 1/2
cup filling per sandwich.

____________________

RECIPES WANTED!

Send your quantity vegetarian recipes to us for possible reprint in
future issues of Vegetarian Journal's Foodservice Update. We prefer to
share healthy, low-fat recipes that include a minimum of sweeteners. Use
molasses or fruit wherever sweeteners are called for. Maple syrup could
also be used instead of honey.

____________________

THEME DAYS TO CELEBRATE

January 7, 1789 first US presidential election. Serve anything red,
white, & blue!
February 14 Valentine's Day. Go heart-healthy!
March 17 St. Patrick's Day. Offer veggie stews and other meatless dishes
instead of corned beef, because traditionally this was a meatless holiday.
March 20 Great American Meat-Out.
April 21 Earth Day: veggie burgers are planet-friendly.
May 30 Memorial Day: Try barbecuing marinated tofu and vegetable chunks.
June 19, 1885 The Statue of Liberty arrived from France. Serve veggie
heros on french bread.
July 4 Independence Day calls for tofu weiners.
August 5 National Mustard Day. Also, spotlight corn, peaches, and
watermelon, the signature foods of summer.
September All-American Breakfast month. Serve pancakes, scrambled tofu,
french toast, and muffins for a dinnertime change of pace.
October 1 World Vegetarian Day..
November Thansksgiving is perfect for hearty fall dishes.
December Christmas, Kwanzaa, and Chanukah are perfect times to serve
ethnic vegetarian dishes.

____________________

CORNUCOPIA

BACK SHELF -- Noteworthy events and product news you may have missed.

NATURAL FOODS EXPO
September 10-12, Baltimore

Casbah, Sahara Natural Foods, Inc. 14855 Wicks Boulevard, San Leandro, CA
94577 (510) 352-5111 [fax: (510) 352-3227] Dry, bulk mixes of falafel,
hummus, tahini sauce, gyros, and other vegetarian delicacies. An easy way
to add variety, because these mixes are simple to prepare and taste great!

Van's International Foods:, 20318 Gramercy Place, Torrance, CA 90501
(310) 320-8611 [fax: (310) 320-8805] Eggless, dairyless, gluten-free,
wheat-free, yeast-free, sugar-free waffles. Sounds like they should be
flavor-free, too, but they are absolutely delicious; you can't tell them
from the real thing.. Clients with allergies will love you for serving
these.

Idle Wild Farm, 40 Washington Street, Wellesley, MA 02181 (617) 237-8600
[Fax (617) 431-2604). Their Grande Cuisine line is available in 1/2 steam
pans. Choose from Tabouli, Lentil Pilaf, Tofu Ravioli Provencal, Millet
and Vegetables, Brown Rice and Fruit, and 9 other vegetarian delights.

USA Rice Council, P.O. Box 740121, Houston, TX 77274. Write for their
illustrated pamphlet of exciting vegetarian recipes. These are not
quantity recipes, but your chef can easily alter them. The 4-color photos
can also inspire your staff with some creative plating ideas. Includes
Santa Fe Salad, Rice Nut Loaf, Vegetarian Sloppy Joes, Spicy Thai Pizza,
and 6 more recipes. Send a SASE.

Tounatur Foods, Inc. P.O. Box 194, St. Isidore, Quebec, Canada, JOL 2A0,
(514) 454-5123, [fax (514) 454-5221). El Perro is what they call their
tofu hot dogs. The color, flavor, and texture are terrific, and there's
only 4 grams of fat per dog!

Today's Tamales, 2560 Dominic Drive, #1, Chico, CA 95928 (916) 893-2646
[fax (916) 893-9344]. Wonderful vegetarian tamales, including Spicy Tofu
and Del Sol (artichoke, black olive, and sun-dried tomato). Free of
preservatives and colorings.

____________________

Send bulk product news, quantity recipes, and story ideas to Mary
Clifford, 6451 Cotton Hill Rd, Roanoke, VA 24108, or call (703) 772-3316.

____________________

CATALOG
-------

BOOKS ON FOOD

SIMPLY VEGAN($12) by D. Wasserman and R. Mangels, Ph.D., R.D. 224 pages
containing an excellent nutrition section covering iron, protein, Vitamin
B12, calcium, and other nutrients your customers may have questions
about. Also contains over 160 quick and easy vegan recipes, menus, and
meal plans.

THE NEW LAUREL'S KITCHEN ($24) by Robertson, Flinders, & Ruppenthal. The
bible of vegetarian cooking. Keep this cookbook on your shelf next to
your other reference books. Over 500 recipes and an in-depth vegetarian
nutrition section. 512 pp

VEGETARIAN QUANTITY RECIPES($15; $5 for students) Packet includes 28
vegan recipes (entrees, side dishes, soups, etc.) with serving sizes of
25 and 50. Nutritional analyses for every recipe. Also includes a list of
suppliers of vegetarian foods available in bulk sizes, as well as
information on how these foods meet the requirements of school lunch
programs.

TIPS FOR INTRODUCING VEGETARIAN FOOD INTO INSTITUTIONS
($3 purchased separately, free with purchase of Vegetarian Quantity
Recipes (see description, above). How to modify existing menus and
recipes, how to reduce fat content, time and labor saving tips. Also
breakfast, lunch, dinner, salad bar ideas.

GUIDE TO NATURAL FOODS RESTAURANTS ($13) Lists over 1500 restaurants.
Talk to others in your area who are already serving vegetarian customers.
Covers the US and Canada.

TOFU COOKERY($17) Revised edition by Louise Hagler. 160 pages, full-color
photographs. Over 200 recipes. The perfect book to introduce yourself and
your staff to tofu. Learn how to alter the texture, and turn it into
everything from main dishes, to desserts

EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES
for staff, students, teachers, theme days

THE VEGETARIAN GAME ($20) IBM-compatible computer game offers 750
questions on health, nutrition, vegetarian foods, and other categories.
Specify 3.5 or 5.25 disk.

ATHLETES AND VEGETARIANISM. ($3). Handout covers sound nutrition for
athletes.

THE VEGAN DIET DURING PREGNANCY, LACTATION, AND CHILDHOOD ($3) Handout by
Reed Mangels, Ph.D, RD.

I LOVE ANIMALS AND BROCCOLI ACTIVITY BOOK ($5) Education activities on
vegetarianism. For middle grades or younger children with adult help (48
pp).

VEGETARIAN VIDEOS for loan. Food Without Fear and Diet for a New America
cover health, ethics, and environmental issues (both 30 minutes long). $5
per video you would like to borrow.

THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS ARE FREE OF CHARGE.
FOR SINGLE COPIES, PLEASE SEND A SASE.

VEGETARIAN NUTRITION FOR TEENS Brochure by Reed Mangels, Ph.D, RD. Ten
cents each for quantity orders.

ESSAY CONTEST for students 19 and under/vegetarian lesson plan.

FOOD EXPERIENCE PROJECTS for young children. Great for camps, daycare.

I LOVE ANIMALS AND BROCCOLI COLORING BOOK. (1 copy, SASE with 2
first-class stamps; quantity orders, 15c each) This 8 1/2-by-11 8-page
booklet for 3 to 7 year olds encourages healthy eating.

TIPS ON SPEAKING ABOUT VEGETARIANISM TO CLASSES (SASE with 2 first-class
stamps).

VEGETARIANISM IN A NUTSHELL handout. Basic information about
vegetarianism plus quick recipes. To receive a quantity, send a donation
for postage.

Make checks payable to Vegetarians, and mail to The Vegetarian Resource
Group, Box 1463, Dept. IN, Baltimore, MD 21203.

Non-USA orders should be paid with a US $ postal order or by
MasterCard/Visa. Add 20% to book orders.

Printed on recycled paper.

____________________

WHAT IS THE VEGETARIAN RESOURCE GROUP?

Our health professionals, activists, and educators work with businesses
and individuals to bring about healthy changes in your school, workplace,
and community. Registered dietitians and physicians aid in the
development of nutrition-related publications and answer member and media
questions about vegetarian diets. The Vegetarian Resource Group is a
non-profit organization. Financial support comes primarily from
memberships, contributions, and book sales.

VEGETARIAN JOURNAL: Vegetarian Journal is one of the benefits members
enjoy. Readers receive practical tips for vegetarian meal planning,
articles relevant to vegetarian nutrition, recipes, natural food product
reviews, and an opportunity to share ideas with others. The Journal
discusses the various aspects of a vegetarian diet, including health,
environmental, ethical, and economic considerations. All nutrition
articles are reviewed by a registered dietitian or medical doctor. The
36-page bimonthly Journal does not accept advertising.

Foodservice Update Order Form

Name ______________________
Title ______________________
Organization ______________________
Address ______________________
City, State, Zip______________________
Telephone ______________________

Enclosed (check)
___1-year subscription to Foodservice Update
and the bimonthly Vegetarian Journal: $25

___1-year subscription to Foodservice Update
only: $20

Sponsorship
Corporate Contributor $ 100
Corporate Supporter $ 500
Corporate Benefactor $1000

Return to:

The Vegetarian Resource Group
P.O. Box 1463
Baltimore, MD 21203

(410) 366-VEGE

____________________

WHAT IS A VEGETARIAN?

Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, and poultry. Vegans are vegetarians
who abstain from eating or using all animal products, including milk,
cheese, other dairy items, eggs, wool, silk, or leather. Among the many
reasons for being a vegetarian are health, ecological, and religious
concerns, dislike of meat, compassion for animals, belief in
non-violence, and economics. The American Dietetic Association has
affirmed that a vegetarian diet can meet all known nutrient needs. The
key to a healthy vegetarian diet, as with any other diet, is to eat a
wide variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, plenty of leafy
greens, whole grain products, nuts, seeds, and legumes. Limit your intake
of sweets and fatty foods.

Brad Scott
The Vegetarian Resource Group / Vegetarian Journal
P.O. Box 1463, Baltimore, MD 21203 (410) 366-VEGE
br...@clark.net