REQUEST: Vegan Chili

sp...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 18, 1990, 2:42:29 PM10/18/90
Any good recipes for vegan chili out there? I just had a wonderful
bowl at a local restaurant but they won't give out the recipe.

Thanks in advance,
Lorri

Stephen R. Higgins

Oct 19, 1990, 2:29:40 PM10/19/90

try substituting roasted cashews for the meat in any chili recipe.

--
Stephen R. Higgins * Basically, the problem is this: You find yourself
hig...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu * shot with an arrow. Do you try to find how the arrow

Wayne Mesard

Oct 30, 1990, 5:00:51 PM10/30/90
sp...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Any good recipes for vegan chili out there? I just had a wonderful
>bowl at a local restaurant but they won't give out the recipe.

Recipes in rec.food.veg?! Well, I'll probably get flamed for it, but
here'gos...

Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
---------------------------

[[I find this recipe too...well...too black beany. I usually add more
tomatoes and include a can of kidney beans. Also, in my experience,
black beans always have to be cooked MUCH longer than the recipe calls
for. If you're using dried beans, soak them overnight. Before you
start--even if you're using canned beans--boil the beans for at least
an hour first.
As described, it's not very spicy; try increasing the chili powder,
or use the jalapeno seeds if you like it hot. Finally: this goes
great served over rice. -wsm]]

1/3 cup oil
2 onions, chopped
1.5 Tb cumin seed
1.5 Tb oregano
3 tsp sweet paprika
.75 tsp cayenne
3 Tb unseasoned chili powder
3 cups canned tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
3 cups dried black beans
2 bay leaves
.25 cup chopped fresh coriander
2 cups Monterey Jack or Cheddar style cheese substitute (soy milk
variety, tofu variety, etc.) (optional)
some sour cream (omit for vegan)

Heat oil in large pot. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add
cumin seed, oregano, paprika, cayenne and chili powder; saute 5 minutes
more.

Add the tomatoes, garlic and jalapeno pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the black beans, bay leaves and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil,
then lower heat and simmer for 2 to 2.5 hours until beans are tender.
Add more water if necessary to keep beans covered.

When ready to serve, remove the bay leaves, stir in the coriander.
Divide grated "cheese" among the serving bowls. Ladle the chili over
cheese; top with the sour cream.

Vegetarian Chili
----------------
[[This is the recipe my mom uses. I don't know where she got it. (But
knowing her she cut the spices in half; it's fairly mild, increase red
pepper content to taste.) Do not double this recipe. Use a 12 quart
pot. Remember to rinse the beans after draining them in order to
minimize a particular effect that this magical fruit has on one's
gastro-intestinal system. -wsm]]

---
.33 cup oil
3 coarsely chopped onions
2 green peppers, cut into pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
---
3 cups coarsely chopped carrots (1.25 to 1.5 lbs)
1 large zucchini, quarted lengthwise, then cut across
1 cup sliced celery (2 large stalks)
3 one pound cans tomatoes (or two 28oz cans)
2 4 oz. cans green chilies, drained, minced
salt to taste
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
---
2 one pound cans red kidney beans, drained (two 20oz cans are okay)
1 one pound can pinto beans, drained
---
some hot cooked rice (brown is better)
some grated cheddar style cheese alternative
---

In 12 quart pot, heat oil over medium flame. Add onion, green pepper
and garlic. Stirring occasionally, cook 5 min or until tender.

Stir in 2nd group of ingredients, stirring occasionally and breaking up
tomatoes with the edge of a spatula. Cook over medium heat, 30 min.

Add beans. Cook 30 min longer. Stir occasionally.

Serve over rice. Sprinkle with "cheese". Makes 12 servings.

sp...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 31, 1990, 10:14:45 AM10/31/90
My thanks to all who responded to my request for vegan chile. While
all the recipes looked good, it was my intention to reproduce the chile
that I had had early. With the aid of the recipes posted I was able
to come pretty close to what I had in mind.

Modified Vegan Chile

1/2 lb dried kidney beans (soaked over-night)
1/4 cup oil (I used peanut oil)
1 medium onion diced
1/3 cup celery sliced
1/2 green pepper diced
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1 large carrot diced
1/4 cup black olives sliced
1 small zuccini diced
2 tablespoons instant barley
1 jalapino pepper diced
3 cloves garlic miced
1 bay leave
1 can (about 8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (about 10 ounces) peeled tomatos diced, with juice
1 tablespoon chile powder (to taste)
a bit of sugar if needed
salt and pepper

Cook the beans with the bay leave until just tender..about 1 hour
Drain. Take one cup of the beans and mash them (to add thickness)
In the oil cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat the following:
onion, celery, green pepper, mushrooms, garlic
To this add about 3 cups water, the beans, carrots, zuccini, instant
barley, tomato sauce, tomatoes, jalapino pepper, spices.
Cook for 15 minutes semi-high heat until the carrots are cooked
and the chile is the right consistancy. add the black olives

Serves four to six.

Patrick Thompson

Nov 2, 1990, 6:03:07 PM11/2/90
From article <1990Oct30....@oracle.com>, by wme...@oracle.com (Wayne Mesard):

> sp...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>Any good recipes for vegan chili out there? I just had a wonderful
>>bowl at a local restaurant but they won't give out the recipe.
>
> Recipes in rec.food.veg?! Well, I'll probably get flamed for it, but
> here'gos...

Are you kidding? rec.food.veg is the *best* place to post vegetarian
recipes. rec.food.recipes doesn't even know what vegan means.

-Pat

Patrick Thompson UUCP: {amdahl,hplabs,ames}!ntmtv!scoter
Los Gatos, California ARPA: ntmtv!sco...@ames.arc.nasa.gov
PHONE: (415) 940-2597

Galen Rosencrantz

Nov 9, 1990, 1:33:44 PM11/9/90

I don't recall seeing a recipe posted, so here is one of my
favorites. It is from "The Macrobiotic Community Cookbook" by
Andrea Bliss Lerman (Avery publishing, NY)

If you don't want to go to the trouble of making seitan, it is
available in some natural foods stores. Or, you could use some
crumbled, sauteed, tempeh (a fermented soybean product, a source of
vitamin B12, by the way) instead. I suppose crumbled tofu would
work, if you added some tamari for flavor. This makes a rich bodied,
satisfying chili that could even fool carnivores.

Kidney Bean-Seitan Chili

Basic Beans:
1 1/2 cups uncooked kidney beans
4 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 piece kombu (seaweed) 3" long

Seitan:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup water

Seitan Broth:
2 cups water
1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
1 piece of kombu about 1" long

Vegetables and Seasonings:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon seasalt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon corn oil

Pressure cook kidney beans, water, bay leaf, and kombu for 1
hour or until beans are soft (or boil, about 2 hours, adding
water, if needed).

While beans are cooking, prepare seitan. Mix the flour and
water in a large bowl until it makes a smooth ball. Cover
it with water and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Knead
the dough a bit, in the water, then pour off
the water (the starchy water can be used to thicken soups
or gravies). Once again cover the dough with water, knead,
and drain. You can alternate warm and cold water, but be
sure to start and finish with cold. Continue kneading and
rinsing the dough until you are left with a fairly tough
stringy ball. This is wheat gluten, raw seitan.

Cook the seitan by combining the broth ingredients in a medium
sauce pan, and dropping small pieces of the raw seitan into it.
Simmer it for 30 minutes. Avoid letting it boil, as this makes
the seitan become spongy.

Saute garlic, onion, green pepper, cumin, sea salt, and cayenne
pepper in the corn oil for 5 minutes, or until green pepper is
tender. Set aside.

Remove the seitan from broth with slotted spoon and transfer it
to cooked kidney beans. Stir sauteed vegetables into kidney bean
mixture. Stir over low heat for a few minutes to allow flavors
to blend. Add some seitan broth to the chili if it appears to be
too thick. If not, reserve the seitan broth to be used as soup
stock.

Serve hot, garnished with chopped scallions, if desired.

Enjoy!

Galen