Columbus, OH

1 view

Mary R. Jensen

Aug 3, 1993, 2:51:13 PM8/3/93
Well, we're off to beautiful, exciting, romantic Columbus, Ohio for a
long weekend. Actually, we're going to the Ohio State Fair, the
Columbus Zoo and the Museum of Science and Industry. Does anyone have
any tight-budget suggestions as to places to eat or things to do besides
what we have planned? Oh, yes, we will also spend a little time in the
German area and have already taken the AB brewery tour.

Thanks,

Mary Jensen

JW#0

Aug 4, 1993, 4:05:41 PM8/4/93
>.
>.
There's a good and fairly inexpensive (as I recall) Thai restaurant
on North High St. (rte. 23) just about at the Worthington/Columbus
line. Sorry I don't remember its name, but it's across from Selby
Blvd. -- about a half block south of St. Michael's Church but on
the opposite side (west side) of High Street. We've eaten there
two or three times and always been pleased with the food and service.

Darwyn O Banks

Aug 6, 1993, 10:19:03 AM8/6/93

>Thanks,

>Mary Jensen

Try "figlio" in Grandview Hts (on Grandview Ave). Moderately priced, wonderful restaurant a la California. Their specialty is wood-fired
pizza (Wolfgang Puck is their hero). As a native who spent four years in the SF Bay Area, I can attest to the Calif atmosphere.

Personally, I'd recommend the Kung Pao Shrimp Pizza (Sounds weird, I know, but I found it phenomenal). Tequila Chicken and Mushroom Pizza
are also good. Desserts are okay, but overpriced. Same for the wine selection (California wines, of course).

Let's see. You've done the German Village (Did you check out The Book Loft? Awesome bookstore!) and Brewery Districts. Locals are real
proud of City Center Mall; try The Boulevard Grille there. Not sure of prices, though.

For tight-budgeting: there are numerous collegiate-type eateries of varying quality on High St (OSU campus Central) which is of course,
very close to the Fairgrounds. Also, there's a good African-American restaurant, Blue Star Cafe, on Cleveland at 25th [Building is pink,
don't ask me why] which is also quite near the fairgrounds.

Enjoy the Fair (and the traffic), but bring your own IC Lite. We don't carry the stuff here. :)

Christine G. Wechter

Aug 10, 1993, 12:45:02 PM8/10/93
In article <dbanks.7...@afit.af.mil> dba...@afit.af.mil (Darwyn O Banks) writes:
>"Mary R. Jensen" <mj...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>>Well, we're off to beautiful, exciting, romantic Columbus, Ohio for a
>>long weekend. Actually, we're going to the Ohio State Fair, the
>>Columbus Zoo and the Museum of Science and Industry. Does anyone have
>>any tight-budget suggestions as to places to eat or things to do besides
>>what we have planned? Oh, yes, we will also spend a little time in the
>>German area and have already taken the AB brewery tour.

What's the name of the bar that has sing-alongs? I hear that's fun.
I had a great time just running around in Meijer (the supermarket).

Tom Fisher

Aug 10, 1993, 5:19:53 PM8/10/93
>>>Well, we're off to beautiful, exciting, romantic Columbus, Ohio for a
>>>long weekend. Actually, we're going to the Ohio State Fair, the
>>>Columbus Zoo and the Museum of Science and Industry. Does anyone have
>>>any tight-budget suggestions as to places to eat or things to do besides
>>>what we have planned? Oh, yes, we will also spend a little time in the
>>>German area and have already taken the AB brewery tour.

I hope you made hotel reservations (and elicited the exact whereabouts)
in advance. If you wait til you get there, as you go around the southern
half of I-270, you'll see a grand total of one (count it -1-) hotel sign
from the interstate (a Days Inn as I recall). Most inhospitable hotel
situation I've ever seen around a major city.

Tom Fisher

Charles E Thorne

Aug 11, 1993, 2:49:26 PM8/11/93

Columbus (as in many major cities) has its traditionally rich parts of town
and those that are less well endowed. If you can in through the South, you're
coming in to the poorer part of the city (in fact the whole area south of
Columbus is a poorer part of the State). On the other hand, if you come in
from the North, you see something entirely different.

The more noticeable problem (compared to many major cities) is that the
downtown hotels are a small percentage of the total. So if you come by air,
you definitely want reservations in advance.

Charlie

Ernie Englehart

Aug 12, 1993, 11:10:58 AM8/12/93
From article <1993Aug10....@CERIS.Purdue.EDU>, by tfi...@CERIS.Purdue.EDU (Tom Fisher):

The reason for that is simple. Hardly anybody lives on the south side
of Columbus. The majority live North. There's no need for hotels
around I-270 south because nobody would want to stay in that area.

If you mosey over to the Grove City area you will find quite a few
hotels. Take I-71 one exit south of I-270 - Stringtown Rd. You'll
find 'em there.

Because of the Ohio State Fair, hotels in the Columbus area are almost full.
I strongly recommend calling ahead of you travel to Columbus during the fair.

| Ernie Englehart AT&T Network Systems Columbus, Ohio |
| e...@cbnscs.att.com Room 3R-109A (614) 860-5244 |

Tom Fisher

Aug 12, 1993, 12:41:26 PM8/12/93
>> I hope you made hotel reservations (and elicited the exact whereabouts)
>> in advance. If you wait til you get there, as you go around the southern
>> half of I-270, you'll see a grand total of one (count it -1-) hotel sign
>> from the interstate (a Days Inn as I recall). Most inhospitable hotel
>> situation I've ever seen around a major city.
>>

> The reason for that is simple. Hardly anybody lives on the south side
> of Columbus. The majority live North. There's no need for hotels
> around I-270 south because nobody would want to stay in that area.

Then someone needs to tell that to the officials who plan major
attractions such as the Amera Flora Exposition of 1992. The "official"
route that was designated for visitors inbound from the west was I-270
around the southern loop. That suggested to me that the planners (for
reasons known only to them) didn't want visitors going thru the center of
town on I-70.

Tom Fisher

Ernie Englehart

Aug 12, 1993, 3:54:03 PM8/12/93
From article <1993Aug12....@CERIS.Purdue.EDU>, by tfi...@CERIS.Purdue.EDU (Tom Fisher):

That wasn't the reason. They had many logistical (is that a word?) problems
with Ameriflora '92. One was parking. There was no parking at the site.
Out-of-towners, and locals also, were told to park at a remote lot built
at Post Columbus Airport, and shuttle buses were used to bring people
to/from the exposition. And the best way to get to the airport is from
I-270. From I-70 you would have to drive thru town on local roads,
which is not desirable for out-of-towners, who could get lost. Once our
I-670 is completed, there will be a straight shot from the west side to
the airport.

I don't think that the officials thought about hotels when they planned
this thing. I'll bet they assumed that most people would have called
ahead, or picked up a motel guide, or have done some advance planning
regarding hotel information.

I hope that this one incident does not tarnish your impression of Columbus.

linda.b.dunlap

Aug 13, 1993, 10:43:52 AM8/13/93

(Tom Fisher didn't say anything about nobody living on the south side. I
don't know what happened to the attributions.)

First of all it is unfortunate that the poster who said no one lives on the
south side chose those words. The south side is the least priviledged area
of town, but lots of people live south. (I was born and raised there.) As
for no one wanting to stay in that area, our trash burning power plant and
a meat packing plant has a lot to do with the lack of hotels on the south
side.

Anyway, the reason no one is encouraged to use I-70 or I-71 through Columbus
is the over-abundance of orange barrels that tend to spring up on those
routes during the summer. Just try to travel through Columbus on I-70 or I-71
during the summer and you are asking for long delays. Unfortunately those
same orange barrels are also proliferating on I-270 which brings to mind the
old "you can't get there from here." Right now you can't go northbound on
I-270 from I-70 on the east side of the loop. The ramps are closed.