New Mexican Food Outside New Mexico

David R. Strip

Aug 28, 1990, 2:39:49 PM8/28/90
I have a visitor here who wants to know if there is
any place outside New Mexico where you can get
*REAL* (TM) New Mexican Food. That means that
the waiter won't be baffled if you ask for
a choice of "red or green", or ask for
Sopapillas. Blue corn would be nice, too, but
not essential. It goes without saying that
bland food does not qualify.

Mikey thanks you.
strip

Randy Fromm

Aug 29, 1990, 7:07:32 PM8/29/90
I know of only one place that knew the difference between "red" and "green"
and that was Carlos O'Kelley's in Cedar Rapids, Iowa... and it was a few
years ago; they could have forgotten by now.

As for sopapillas... the last time I had *REAL* ones was at a little
restaurant in Albequerque (the spelling doesn't look right) when I was
a small child of 8 or 9. All I remember is an adobe building on the
west end of town.

Otherwise... my "New Mexican" cuisine is made at home.

-ra...@oswego.oswego.edu

William Watson

Aug 30, 1990, 9:51:01 AM8/30/90

Some of my favorite "mexican" restaurants in Austin serve New Mex-Mex
food. All of the locations of Chuy's have blue corn tortillas, and
I believe that they serve sopapillas as well.
Manuel's in downtown Austin also serves New Mex-Mex cuisine.
I suspect that New Mex-Mex is also served elsewhere in the country.

William
(Apologies for any errors in this post. This system doesn't seem to understand
this terminal.
William J. Watson
(cs.utexas.edu!halley!watson, wat...@halley.uucp, watson_...@tandem.com)
(Keep trying if halley bounces mail. It's flakey)

Frank MALONEY

Aug 30, 1990, 11:54:01 AM8/30/90
In article <36...@intvax.UUCP> drs...@intvax.UUCP (David R. Strip) writes:
>I have a visitor here who wants to know if there is
>any place outside New Mexico where you can get
>*REAL* (TM) New Mexican Food. That means that

The Santa Fe Cafe, Seattle, WA.

--
Frank Richard Aloysius Jude Maloney
Disclaimer: Microsoft doesn't even know I have 3 middle names.

Earl Boebert

Aug 30, 1990, 12:32:20 PM8/30/90
The Santa Fe, in Ridgecrest CA (where you stay when sailing China
Lake) is superb.

Chuck Weinstock

Aug 30, 1990, 2:18:40 PM8/30/90
Blue Mesa, in Chicago, has great New Mexican food. Wonderful
sopapillas, served before the meal as God intended. I wish we had
something as good in Pittsburgh.

Chuck Weinstock

Eric Bowman

Sep 1, 1990, 6:51:40 PM9/1/90
In article <15...@reed.UUCP> I wrote:
>The only place *I've* found (though I must admit this hasn't been my life's
>task) is The Santa Fe Restaurant on NE 65th in Seattle. Great (authentic)
>food at reasonable prices, complete with nice atmosphere.

That's Santa Fe *Cafe*, not restaurant.

>bobo
>bowman@reed.{bitnet,UUCP,edu}
>...!tektronix!reed!bowman

Eric Bowman

Sep 1, 1990, 6:39:49 PM9/1/90
In article <36...@intvax.UUCP> drs...@intvax.UUCP (David R. Strip) writes:

The only place *I've* found (though I must admit this hasn't been my life's

task) is The Santa Fe Restaurant on NE 65th in Seattle. Great (authentic)
food at reasonable prices, complete with nice atmosphere.

Conveniently located near the only decent bagelry on the west coast, The Bagel
Oasis.

Check 'em out.

later,
bobo
bowman@reed.{bitnet,UUCP,edu}
...!tektronix!reed!bowman

Jeremy J. Epstein

Sep 4, 1990, 9:39:46 AM9/4/90
Try the "Old Town Cafe" in San Diego CA (long lines any evening).
Their tortillas are about the best I've had anywhere. Many of
their dishes rival the best I've had in New Mexico, although
certainly the heat doesn't come close.

Having grown up in Albuquerque, I find Mexican food east of
the Mississippi to be rather disappointing. For those of us who
long for green chili in the Washington DC area, the best I've
found is Enriquetta's in Georgetown (used to be in Adams Morgan
also)...their mole sauce is wonderful (although not typically
New Mexican).

At the risk of being flamed, I'll comment that Anita's in
Vienna Virginia can *occasionally* be good, although the quality
has declined rapidly with the increasing number of outlets.

--Jeremy
--
Jeremy Epstein
TRW Systems Division

Andy Wolf

Sep 4, 1990, 10:27:23 AM9/4/90
>any place outside New Mexico where you can get
>*REAL* (TM) New Mexican Food. That means that
>a choice of "red or green", or ask for
>Sopapillas. Blue corn would be nice, too, but

Yes. There is a small chain of restaurants in Northern Virginia called
Anita's. They have everything you're asking for. The food is great.
The Anita's in Fairfax (IMHO) is better than any of the other ones.

-Andy
--

Andy Wolf Phone (703) 243-1611
Advanced Decision Systems Internet: aw...@potomac.ads.com

John M Ashley

Sep 4, 1990, 11:23:39 AM9/4/90
In article <15...@reed.UUCP> bow...@reed.UUCP (Eric Bowman) writes:
>In article <36...@intvax.UUCP> drs...@intvax.UUCP (David R. Strip) writes:
>>I have a visitor here who wants to know if there is
>>any place outside New Mexico where you can get
>>*REAL* (TM) New Mexican Food. That means that
>>the waiter won't be baffled if you ask for
>>a choice of "red or green", or ask for
>>Sopapillas. Blue corn would be nice, too, but
>>not essential. It goes without saying that
>>bland food does not qualify.
If you are ever in Lansing or East Lansing, Michigan:
El Azteco offers most dishes red or green.
Many of the diners come with a desert sopapilla.
Although they are not my favorite, the blue corn enchiladas
come highly recommended.
All the New Mexico people I know( disclaimer: this means about 7)
have said that this is just like back home.

Hope this helps,
John Ashley

Dan R Brown;685-2780;60-850;632-7701;squid

Sep 4, 1990, 11:46:55 AM9/4/90
I too am interested in any suggestions along these lines. New Mexican
food is a wonderfully
unique style. As of this posting, I have come across only two places
outside of New Mexico.

1) The Adobe Rose Cafe [Very Good, but not perfect, also it is small and
can fill up]
1634 Bybee Bv
Portland, OR (503)235-9114

2) Santa Fe East [I think this is the right name, a somewhat less
general menu here]
Just off the main East-West street in old Alexandria, Va if memory
serves me, soory I can
not be more specific, I just found it by accident while there on business.

I have yet to come across a real authentic New Mexican place since
neither of the above offer
stuffed soapapillas :-)

Please let me know if you receive any suggestions via E-Mail. Thanks

Dan Brown
d...@orca.WV.TEK.COM

Clark Quinn

Sep 4, 1990, 12:16:07 PM9/4/90
In article <1990Sep04.1...@virtech.uucp> j...@virtech.uucp (Jeremy J. Epstein) writes:
>Try the "Old Town Cafe" in San Diego CA (long lines any evening).
>Their tortillas are about the best I've had anywhere. Many of
>their dishes rival the best I've had in New Mexico, although
>certainly the heat doesn't come close.

I believe Jeremy is talking about the Old Town Mexican Cafe in (not
surprisingly) the Old Town section of San Diego. They now also have a
branch in Encinitas, an upscale beach town north of San Diego.

I don't really think the Old Town (Mexican) Cafe is anymore than just a
Mexican place. I wouldn't classify it as New Mexican. And as a mexican
place, it has real good Carnitas, but otherwise merely average (well,
for San Diego, here in Pittsburgh I'd be ecstatic to find such average
Mexican food). Following is a list of places for good Mexican food in San
Diego (Condensed from a list of things to do, etc in San Diego, my home for
twelve years).

-- Clark

Clark N. Quinn (412) 624-9581
Learning Research and Development Center qu...@unix.cis.pitt.edu
University of Pittsburgh qu...@pittunix.bitnet
Pittsburgh, PA 15260

San Diego Mexican Restaurants

Mexican - El Tecolote. This has authentic food like Lengua a la
Veracruzana. Best in SD, I think. Have the flan for dessert. There's
an authentic place in the South, like in Chula Vista or somewhere, I
don't remember the name, it's OK. I was located in North County or La
Jolla the whole time, so I didn't get that far south much.

You can find americanized food in places in Old Town, like Casa Bandini (very
scenic, sit in a patio, drinking margaritas) or the Old Town Mexican Cafe
(this place *does* have GREAT carnitas). Eden Gardens in Solana Beach
is another area that has good americanized Mexican Food. Not as scenic
as Old town, but more character. Most people prefer Fidel's, but I
often prefer The Blue Bird Cafe (try a dish that comes with the cabbage
salad). For real "atmosphere" (tongue firmly in cheek), try the Market Cafe.

Robertos - for great Mexican fast food, try this. No, no, not like Taco
Bell or any such other abomination, this place serves Carne Asada
Burritos for about $2 that are killer. Many locations. Tell them to
send me their recipe for the Carne Asada. I'm going through
withdrawals.

Rubio's Deli-Mex - the best place to find fish tacos (other than
Ensenada :-). Yum. Real Baja-style taco de pescado. Again, fast food
environment, good food. Both of the above are great lunch spots.
Several locations. Same about the recipe but for the fish batter and
the sauce. It's a mission of mercy.

Speaking of great lunch spots, the El Indio shop on India Street is great.
They close by six, and they're a deli. There are seats across the
street (now even with extra sauce & things) and all the food is take
out. Eat across the street or take away.

Bill Cerny

Sep 4, 1990, 11:20:46 PM9/4/90
In article <1990Sep04.1...@virtech.uucp> j...@virtech.uucp (Jeremy J. Epstein) writes:
>Try the "Old Town Cafe" in San Diego CA (long lines any evening).

Sorry to fan the flame, but the "Old Town Cafe" is definitely off our
list of Mexican (even Cal-Mex) restaurants. I'd recommend the
"Guadalajara Grill" (Taylor & Juan) for authentic SoCal Mexican. As
for New Mexican Mexican, speaking as an Albuquerque emigre, you should
look on North Fourth Street in Albuquerque. Nobody outside N.M.
comprehends the subtle connotations of "Hatch Chiles."
--
Bill Cerny
bi...@toto.info.com | attmail: !denwa!bill

Gerard K. Newman

Sep 5, 1990, 12:32:49 PM9/5/90
In article <1...@toto.info.com> bi...@toto.info.com (Bill Cerny) writes:
>... Nobody outside N.M.

>comprehends the subtle connotations of "Hatch Chiles."

Ahh, Hatch chiles. Try:

Hatch Chile Express
622 Franklin
PO Box 350