Caponata

1 view

eesn...@uiuc.edu

Sep 16, 1994, 5:06:35 PM9/16/94

Been reading rfr and rfc for a while. Great stuff. My interest is in
vegetarian Italian cooking. By way of introduction, I thought I'd share one
of the Caponata recipes I have.

Caponatina di melanzane in agrodolce (Medley of Sweet and Sour Eggplant)

1/3 cup golden raisins
2 medium sized eggplants
salt
the best olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 inner, white celery ribs, diced
3 cups drained, canned Italian plum tomatoes
1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1/4 cup capers
1/4 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
2 T sugar
2 T red wine vinegar
freshly milled black pepper

1) Soak the raisins in warm water for 30 mins. Drain and pat dry.
2) Wash the eggplants and cut into 1" cubes. Put the cubes in a colander,
sprinkle with salt, and let stand for 1 hour to drain. Rinse quickly and pat
dry.
3) Pour 1/2" olive oil in a skillet. When it's hot, add the eggplant cubes
without crowding them. Fry to a nice golden brown. Remove with a slotted
spoon and continue untill all the eggplant is done.
4) Discard all but a slight bit of the oil. Add the onion and celery and saute
over medium heat until the onion is a pale yellow.
5) Press the tomatoes through a food mill or strainer to remove the seeds. Add
the tomatoes, eggplant, olives, capers, pine nuts, raisins, vinegar, suger,
and liberal amounts of milled black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat,
cook uncovered for 15 mins.
6) Let caponatina cool to room temperature before serving. Serve with
bruschetta as an appetizer.

Hope you enjoy!

Edward

eesn...@uiuc.edu