Cameroon, West African Dishes

Ulrich Forster

Feb 18, 1994, 7:18:15 AM2/18/94
> Does anyone have a recipe from Cameroon or West Africa in general?
> My son needs it for a school project. Will trade for Austrian recipes.
> Thanks.

Hi I'm posting this recipe for a friend from Zaire who just read
your article but don't have an internet access. We add the botanical
names for all users who don't know what sorgo or gombo is! ;)

Uli
This is one of the mostly cooked west african dishes!

TO and GOMBOSAUCE
-----------------

Ingredients: 1000g millet- or sorgoflour (Pennisetum americanum
or Sorghum bicolor; Poaceae)
("sorgo" is also known as "DURRA" or "MOHRENHIRSE" anyway
its a kind of millet)
500 g gombo (=okra)(Hibiscus esculentes; Malvaceae)
1 onion
1 chili (hot!)
oil (kariteoil if possible)
salt
water
500 g beef

TO: Boil 1 liter of water. Put 100 g of sorgoflour into cold water
stir it. Mix it with the boiling water. Stir it immediately with a wooden
spoon and keep on stirring. Reduce heat. Add every 2 minutes 100 g
of flour into the boiling mush until "To" is getting sticky and solid.
Keep it hot.
GOMBOSAUCE: Cut the meat in slices and boil it with 300 ml water, season
it with salt. Boil it until the water is gone. Add oil (ca. 10-15 cl)
and fry the meat. Add chopped onion, sliced gombo and chili and
stir until its done. Add a cup of water. Boil it with reduced
heat and stir every 3 minutes, until its very sticky and gelatinized.
Serve TO and GOMBOSAUCE on two different plates. Take a piece of TO
and mix it with Gombosauce. Enjoy!

Mandingo

Ulrich Forster | F.R.Germany | scientific progress goes
Ostendstr. 3 | u...@duppy.RoBIN.de | boink! :-)
60314 Frankfurt | Phone: +49-69-436158| (Calvin)