Daube d'Aubergine

Jodie Kain

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

>For: Som <dow...@nevada.edu>
>I'm looking for vegetarian recipes (or meat recipes which can be
>converted into a vegetable dish) which have wine as an ingredient.

This is a slight variation on Claudia Roden's Daube d'Aubergine
(wine-stewed eggplant). From 'Mediterranean Cookery'. I think this tastes
best warm, not hot, served with mushy plain polenta. I've doubled the
original recipe to use an entire bottle of wine - we just eat it all week.
Enjoy.

My Absolute Favorite Eggplant Stew
(serves 12, or 2 for several days ;-)

3 lb eggplant - peel, halve lengthwise, slice thickly.
Sprinkle with coarse salt, put on baking sheet lined with
several thicknesses of paper toweling, cover & weight for 30
mins.

Put in pot:
salt (err on the high side)
3 lb chopped tomatoes
1 bottle red wine (dry chianti-type is best - can be cheap)
black pepper
4-6 tsp sugar (I use 5 drops liquid Stevia)
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves (or a big pinch powdered bay)
Simmer for 20 minutes

Dry eggplant, lightly coat with olive oil & grill on both sides until
browned. Put in pot with sauce and simmer very gently, covered, adding a
little water if it gets too dry, for 30 mins. Add 2 small bunches (6 oz?)
of flat-leaf parsley, minced, at the end of cooking.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays.