Maybe seven famous Yunnan tea mountains

Space Cowboy

Feb 6, 2006, 9:59:13 AM2/6/06
Earlier NeoCathay identified the six famous tea mountains of Yunnan
from a map which I provided which was subsequently researched by Danny
as a map from the 6FTM factory itself:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.drink.tea/msg/e6c8ff186dcb8c84

This list has held up in subsequent Chinese links. Yesterday there was
a DaDuGang presentation box on TaoBao with a biscuit for each of the
six mountains plus one more making a total of seven which they called
南糯山 NanNuoShan (South Glutinous Mountain). You will occasionally
see NanNuo from other factories including the Menghai factory. So is
the Dadugang factory trying to one up the 6FTM factory or should we
really be talking about seven famous tea mountains in Yunnan?

Thanks,
Jim

samarkand

Feb 6, 2006, 10:36:40 AM2/6/06
That is the problem.

Many people focus so much on the famous six mountains that produce pu'er
they have forgotten that there are many other areas that produced this tea.

The Lan Cang river runs through Xishuangbanna; the tea producing region
north of the river are the famous six mountains that we know, and often
considered as 'traditional' pu'er producing regions.

However, south of the river has also 6 famous tea mountains, and these are
mostly where the oldest and possibly the cradle of tea plants are.

They are:

1. Nan Nuo
2. Meng Hai
3. Ba Da
4. Jing Mai
5. Nan Qiao
6. Meng Song

These are the famous tea mountains of the south, but there are others, such
as Ai Lao Shan, Wu Liang Shan, Da Xue Shan, etc etc etc, the list goes on.

Danny

"Space Cowboy" <nets...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

bam...@localnet.com

Feb 6, 2006, 11:28:59 AM2/6/06
I was looking around on TaoBao and of course am limited by language.
What kind of prices were you seeing for the set?

Space Cowboy

Feb 6, 2006, 11:46:27 AM2/6/06
Thanks, Danny. My characters for Lan Cang river are 澜沧江.
Doesn't this turn into Mekong in Vietnam? I have some JingMai ancient
tree cooked puerh from the LanCang factory. It is one of my favorites.
It comes in 100g 饼干 (biscuit).

Jim

> ÄÏŴɽ NanNuoShan (South Glutinous Mountain). You will occasionally

samarkand

Feb 6, 2006, 11:56:36 AM2/6/06
Indeed it is!

Lan Cang river passes through several provinces in China on the western
side, and into Burma, Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand. When it flows
into South East Asia, it is called the Mekong river.

Thanks, Danny. My characters for Lan Cang river are ???.

Doesn't this turn into Mekong in Vietnam? I have some JingMai ancient
tree cooked puerh from the LanCang factory. It is one of my favorites.

It comes in 100g ?? (biscuit).

Jim

> 南糯山 NanNuoShan (South Glutinous Mountain). You will occasionally

Space Cowboy

Feb 6, 2006, 12:39:21 PM2/6/06
If you're talking to me all I can do on TaoBao is look around and
drool. The auction rolled off. It is the first time I saw this one.
I usually check the site for the next 24 hour auctions, make notes,
save pictures. Don't hold me too it but I remember 200y for the
auction of 7 which is dirt cheap per cake ~$4. It's embarassing
because I make a note of the auction prices but I didn't in this case.
What I learned was the placement of the pinyin mountain names on the
cake themselves. Other factories do the same and I wasn't putting two
and two together. It is just another way of extracting meaningful
information for us language impaired.

Jim

Space Cowboy

Feb 6, 2006, 12:51:09 PM2/6/06
Hey Danny,

How about the Chinese characters for the six mountains you listed? I
know some but not all. I can work backwards from any gooblygook Simple
or Traditional language pairs generated by your newsreader and will be
happy to repost the Unicode equivalent.

Thanks,
Jim

samarkand wrote:
> That is the problem.
>
> Many people focus so much on the famous six mountains that produce pu'er
> they have forgotten that there are many other areas that produced this tea.
>
> The Lan Cang river runs through Xishuangbanna; the tea producing region
> north of the river are the famous six mountains that we know, and often
> considered as 'traditional' pu'er producing regions.
>
> However, south of the river has also 6 famous tea mountains, and these are
> mostly where the oldest and possibly the cradle of tea plants are.
>
> They are:
>
> 1. Nan Nuo
> 2. Meng Hai
> 3. Ba Da
> 4. Jing Mai
> 5. Nan Qiao
> 6. Meng Song
>
> These are the famous tea mountains of the south, but there are others, such
> as Ai Lao Shan, Wu Liang Shan, Da Xue Shan, etc etc etc, the list goes on.
>
> Danny
>

> "Space Cowboy" <nets...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

...I delete me...

Jason F in Los Angeles

Feb 6, 2006, 1:16:23 PM2/6/06
Word up wuliangshan! woo-woo!

Space Cowboy

Feb 7, 2006, 10:15:03 AM2/7/06
Hey Danny,

When you get the chance check my Chinese characters against your
Pinyin. I'd not sure of the Ba:

1. Nan Nuo 南糯
2. Meng Hai 勐海
3. Ba Da 八大
4. Jing Mai 景迈
5. Nan Qiao 南涧
6. Meng Song 孟松

Thanks,
Jim

samarkand wrote:
> That is the problem.
>
> Many people focus so much on the famous six mountains that produce pu'er
> they have forgotten that there are many other areas that produced this tea.
>
> The Lan Cang river runs through Xishuangbanna; the tea producing region
> north of the river are the famous six mountains that we know, and often
> considered as 'traditional' pu'er producing regions.
>
> However, south of the river has also 6 famous tea mountains, and these are
> mostly where the oldest and possibly the cradle of tea plants are.
>
> They are:
>
> 1. Nan Nuo
> 2. Meng Hai
> 3. Ba Da
> 4. Jing Mai
> 5. Nan Qiao
> 6. Meng Song
>
> These are the famous tea mountains of the south, but there are others, such
> as Ai Lao Shan, Wu Liang Shan, Da Xue Shan, etc etc etc, the list goes on.
>
> Danny
>

> "Space Cowboy" <nets...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

...I delete me...

Danny

Feb 7, 2006, 12:27:20 PM2/7/06
Jim,

didn't you receive my email 2 nites ago on the chinese characcters?

"Space Cowboy" <nets...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Space Cowboy

Feb 7, 2006, 1:22:13 PM2/7/06
And I thought you were ignoring me. I can be a pest when it comes to
getting the Chinese correct. The email address in this post is
incorrect. I use my old Google account to currently post when that
email address was once correct. I also do it for sake on consistency
because it is the email address I always use in this group and others
unfortunately. I just sent an email with the new address in the body
of the email from Google Groups. If there is a problem my address has
morphed from 'netstuff' to 'thenetstuff' and from 'ix.netcom.com' to
'msn.com'. Hopefully the email filters can't figure this out. It has
been a pleasure not getting much junk mail with the new address.

Jim

samarkand

Feb 7, 2006, 1:23:54 PM2/7/06
Ah no wonder

The mail should be in your mailbox now

Danny

"Space Cowboy" <nets...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Space Cowboy

Feb 7, 2006, 2:14:39 PM2/7/06
Thanks for letting me know. MSN promptly put you in the Junk folder
which I never check.

Jim

samarkand wrote:
> Ah no wonder
>
> The mail should be in your mailbox now
>
> Danny
>
> "Space Cowboy" <nets...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

...I delete me...

Space Cowboy

Feb 8, 2006, 10:55:12 AM2/8/06
With permission from Danny here is the correct Chinese characters he
sent me in email.

1. Nan Nuo 南糯
2. Meng Hai 勐海

3. Ba Da 巴达
4. Jing Mai 景迈
5. Nan Qiao 南峤
6. Meng Song 勐宋

Notice my list of guesses was 50% correct which is better than 50%
wrong.

Jim

PS: For the woo-woo guy I throw in 无量山 Wu Liang Shan for free.