green tea with mint

1 view

Respect

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Does anyone know a great green tea with mint? Looking for a great brand

Richard Chappell

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
In article <Bl1I2.1756$Em5....@news.flash.net>,

Respect <sta...@hotmail.net> wrote:
>Does anyone know a great green tea with mint? Looking for a great brand

Hello. The traditional and, in my experience, the best green tea to
use with mint is gunpowder. It is strong and isn't overpowered by the
mint. It also keeps a long time. I haven't seen them sold together -
you buy the tea and buy the mint. Arab stores are where I would first
look. If you have none near you, try health food stores (the
traditional supermarket McCormick, etc. tiny bottles of spices are
horribly overpriced and also stale).

If you're into it, mint is one of the easiest plants to grow in most
climates. Just be careful about it taking over your garden.

Oh yeah, a friend of mine adds a bit of orange-blossom water to the tea after
brewing. It adds a great aroma.

Best,

Rick.

Candace Van Auken

Mar 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/18/99
Both Harney & Sons and the Republic of Tea sell a mixture of green Gunpowder
tea with Peppermint.

Upton Tea Imports sells a more traditionally Moroccan mix of _spearmint_ and
gunpowder tea.

Tealuxe sells a green Pearl tea with mint of some kind. Stash also sells a
"Moroccan mint" that uses some kind of green tea and some kind of mint.

Gunpowder does seem to be the green tea most often paired with mint.

Hope this information is helpful,
--Candace

Bill or Ellen Estevens

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
to Richard Chappell
Richard Chappell wrote:

> In article <Bl1I2.1756$Em5....@news.flash.net>,
> Respect <sta...@hotmail.net> wrote:
> >Does anyone know a great green tea with mint? Looking for a great brand
>
> Hello. The traditional and, in my experience, the best green tea to
> use with mint is gunpowder. It is strong and isn't overpowered by the
> mint. It also keeps a long time. I haven't seen them sold together -
> you buy the tea and buy the mint. Arab stores are where I would first
> look. If you have none near you, try health food stores (the
> traditional supermarket McCormick, etc. tiny bottles of spices are
> horribly overpriced and also stale).
>
> If you're into it, mint is one of the easiest plants to grow in most
> climates. Just be careful about it taking over your garden.
>
> Oh yeah, a friend of mine adds a bit of orange-blossom water to the tea after
> brewing. It adds a great aroma.
>
> Best,
>
> Rick.

Just a thought: for some odd, wonderful reason Baton Rouge (where I
live) is blessed with a great many very good Lebanese restaurants. The
beverage of choice is "Lebanese Iced Tea" which is made with black tea,
rose water and lemon, with pine nuts floating in it. Great stuff, and
very refreshing in our heat here in Louisiana. And if you want a mixed
drink before the meal, you drink a Ramos Gin Fizz, provided the
restaurant has a decent bar. If it doesn't have a decent bar, forget it.
The Ramos Gin Fizz, while it is the ultimate summertime mixed drink, is
ghastly if poorly made.

Bill Estevens