Is Beer the most unmixable beverage?

MacKenzie Strickland

Feb 24, 1995, 10:35:38 PM2/24/95

It seems to me of all the beverages consumed by humankind, beer is the
most unmixable one.

Or does someone know something I don't...what would I mix it with that
would actually be enjoyable ? (I only drink the de-alchoholized beer, if
that makes any differance).

Please e-mail me direct.

*************S*i*c**t*r*a*n*s*i*t**g*l*o*r*i*a**m*u*n*d*i*********
* G. MacKenzie Strickland | Theology, ethics, Joy, *
* Halifax, New Scotland (N.S.) | the singing of Psalms, *
* AB...@CFN.cs.Dal.CA | bagpipes, Tom Wham games, *
* b. 1966 | fine men's haberdashery. *
******************N*o*v*a**S*c*o*t*i*a*,**C*a*n*a*d*a*************
--
Is there any connection between the recent revival of
Scottish culture and the economic recession?

Greg Owen {gowen}

Feb 25, 1995, 11:55:02 AM2/25/95

ab...@cfn.cs.dal.ca (MacKenzie Strickland) writes:
> It seems to me of all the beverages consumed by humankind, beer is the
> most unmixable one.

Guinness has been successfully mixed with cider, and with
champagne, or so I am told. A friend once marveled over, in detail,
the wonderful taste of a drink called "Strip and Go Naked", which
involved lemonade and beer. And there's the never-ending debate over
just what constitutes a "shandy", but for sure there's beer in it.

Beer is not often mixed, but is certainly mixable.

Greg Owen { go...@cs.tufts.edu,@xis.xerox.com } http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~gowen/
1.01 GCS/GO d++ p+ c++ l++ u++ e+ -m+ s++/- n- h !(f)? g+ -w+ t+ r-- y?
"Gentile or Jew/O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,/
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you." -- T.S. Eliot

Brian Trosko

Feb 25, 1995, 5:31:09 PM2/25/95
MacKenzie Strickland (ab...@cfn.cs.dal.ca) wrote:
: Or does someone know something I don't...what would I mix it with that
: would actually be enjoyable ? (I only drink the de-alchoholized beer, if
: that makes any differance).

Try mixing it with alcohol. Or, to save the trouble, buy actual beer
instead.

Thomas Aaron Insel

Feb 25, 1995, 7:04:28 PM2/25/95
wal...@netcom.com (Fred Waltman) writes:

> Beer is already natures perfect beverage, so there is no need adulterate
> it as with mere mortal drink.

True enough, but beer does mix perfectly well with beer
(black and tan, or a porter from a few hundred years ago),
as well as whiskey.

Tom
--
Thomas Insel (tin...@uiuc.edu)
"If you think the United States has stood still, who built the largest

ccronan

Feb 25, 1995, 11:01:01 PM2/25/95
Lager and Lime was quite popular in England. Maybe still is!

--

Chuck Cronan from Milwaukee
ccr...@mixcom.com

Ariel A Fox

Feb 27, 1995, 8:29:17 AM2/27/95
Hard cider and beer can be tasty. Also, lager and lime juice and beer
and lemonade (shandy) are nice drinks. I think when English bars say
lemonade they mean Sprite.

(responding to something else)
: True enough, but beer does mix perfectly well with beer
. . .
: as well as whiskey.

Before I go out and try this, do you mean actually mixed, or drunk together?

James A. Shamas

Feb 27, 1995, 12:42:18 PM2/27/95
Best beer mixed drink :Flaming Dr. Pepper.

1/2 shot 151
1 shot amarreto

Pour a beer. Pour the liquor into a double shot glass. Hold over beer.
Ignite liquor and drop into beer. Chug. It's a Dr. Pepper. (Or Mr. Pibb if
you prefer)

Jamie

Thomas Aaron Insel

Feb 27, 1995, 6:10:27 PM2/27/95
ari...@minerva.cis.yale.edu (Ariel A Fox) writes:
> (responding to something else)
> : True enough, but beer does mix perfectly well with beer
> . . .
> : as well as whiskey.

> Before I go out and try this, do you mean actually mixed, or drunk together?

Your choice. A shot of whiskey (probably cheap bourbon around here),
poured the lager of your choice, would be called a boilermaker.
Doesn't really do that much for me, I think the objective is simply to
sneak more alcohol in.
--
Thomas Insel (tin...@uiuc.edu)
"Acceptance without proof is the fundamental characteristic of Western

George Jefferson

Feb 27, 1995, 6:52:51 PM2/27/95
:I only drink the de-alchoholized beer, if
:that makes any differance).

:what would I mix it with that

:would actually be enjoyable ?

um. alchohol?
--
george
geo...@mech.seas.upenn.edu

Cheryl Jaremba

Feb 28, 1995, 11:06:49 AM2/28/95
In article <jas6v.101...@virginia.edu>, ja...@virginia.edu (James A.
I just thought I'd help out with the directions a little here. As a
bartender and waitress I've seen bad things come out of this. A single
shot glass is all that's necessary. Fill three-quarters full with
amaretto, then top with 151. Ignite while sitting on the shot is sitting
on tne bar to avoid burns. Pick up the shot glass and drop the shot, glass
and all into a collins glass mostly full with beer. Slam it. Have a towel
handy. It will foam and fizz a lot. It's a great drink if you like Dr.
Pepper.

Cheryl

The Green Lab

Mar 1, 1995, 6:49:51 PM3/1/95
In article <waltmanD...@netcom.com>, wal...@netcom.com (Fred Waltman) says:

>In article <D4JDz...@cs.dal.ca>,

>MacKenzie Strickland <ab...@cfn.cs.dal.ca> wrote:
>>
>>It seems to me of all the beverages consumed by humankind, beer is the
>>most unmixable one.
>>
>>Or does someone know something I don't...what would I mix it with that
>>would actually be enjoyable ? (I only drink the de-alchoholized beer, if
>>that makes any differance).

Here are a couple of mixed drink recipes using beer. I have been told that
these are considered pretty normal drinks in parts of Kansas. I can't
promise they will be any good, since I haven't tried them. (I never will
try them either, but that's besides the point).
Red Beer: Add tomato juice to beer (1 can tomato juice (4-6 oz???) per
bottle of beer).
Red Eye: Same as Red Beer, but add a raw egg.
I don't think that you will spoil either one of these drinks by using
de-alcoholized beer. To those courageous (or stupid?) enough to try this:
Best of luck

Ambro van Hoof.

Mossel TAK

Mar 2, 1995, 7:59:05 AM3/2/95
A couple of years ago, a drink called a "Snow White" was quite popular
around these parts. It consisted of (Heineken/Amstel) beer mixed with
7-up, in a 1:1 ratio.

Krijn
--
/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Krijn Mossel <tamo...@cs.vu.nl> | Department of Computer Science |

Russell McGuire

Feb 27, 1995, 10:09:21 PM2/27/95
In article <GOWEN.95F...@terminator.xis.xerox.com> go...@terminator.xis.xerox.com (Greg Owen {gowen}) writes:
>Subject: Re: Is Beer the most unmixable beverage?
>From: go...@terminator.xis.xerox.com (Greg Owen {gowen})
>Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1995 16:55:02 GMT

Skip and Go naked is good. The recipe told to me by my father was:
1 liter vodka (or any other clear liquer)
1 6-pack of beer (preferably cheap, it really doesn't matter)
3 frozen concentrates of lemonade
1 frozen concentrate of pink lemonade

It tastes bery good.
try my beer page at this URL: http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~god/beer/beer.html
my e-mail address is: g...@falcon.cc.ukans.edu

thanks. Russell McGuire

Scott Brickner

Feb 28, 1995, 6:42:08 PM2/28/95
When I lived in Bavaria (ten years ago), a somewhat popular drink
with beer was called a Geist Mass. It was served in a standard
1/2 liter beer glass, 1/2 beer, 1/2 cola, and a shot of cognac.
--
---------
Scott Brickner

Mimosa Stevenson

Mar 1, 1995, 12:48:08 AM3/1/95
In article <3iob3d$c...@news.primenet.com>, btr...@primenet.com (Brian

I really don't like beer myself. I also wonder if it is mixable. That is an
interesting question. I really don't have any answer. Sorry.

Ariel A Fox

Mar 3, 1995, 3:56:00 PM3/3/95
Adam Cox (adam...@tucson.princeton.edu) wrote:
: In article <3isk3d$j...@news.ycc.yale.edu>,
: Ariel A Fox <ari...@minerva.cis.yale.edu> wrote:

(lost attribution)
: >: True enough, but beer does mix perfectly well with beer

: >. . .
: >: as well as whiskey.

: >
(me)
: >Before I go out and try this, do you mean actually mixed, or drunk together?

(Adam)
: i enjoy a good lager with some Jack Dainels (mmm...suddenly this dr.
: pepper that i am drinking isn't quite as satisfying). i have never tried
: it with an ale though. anyone else?

Wow, talk about non-responsive.
I ask again, do you mean actually mixed, or drunk together (out of
separate glasses, but at approximately the same time)?

Adam Cox

Adam Cox

Mar 4, 1995, 3:39:48 PM3/4/95
In article <3j7vp0$s...@news.ycc.yale.edu>,

opps, sorry about that.
yes, i mean that i pour about 2 oz. of Jack Daniels (i guess you could
use another whiskey - maybe even scotch - but i love JD) into a tall beer
glass and then fill with beer. like i said before, i have only had it
with lager, but the more i think about it the more i think that it might
be very good with an ale.

adam

Michael McPhail

Mar 6, 1995, 1:06:29 AM3/6/95
Greg Owen {gowen} (go...@terminator.xis.xerox.com) wrote:

: ab...@cfn.cs.dal.ca (MacKenzie Strickland) writes:
: > It seems to me of all the beverages consumed by humankind, beer is the
: > most unmixable one.

I seem to remember mixing 50-50 beer with tomato juice. I drank an awful
lot of it and woke up without a hangover. Although, I was never tempted
again.

[ | ]
[ Mike McPhail | Look For NEW "Signature 95" ]
[ mcp...@mail.msen.com | Coming This Summer! ]
[ aa...@detroit.freenet.org | (or fall, whenever it's ready) ]
[ | ]

Ariel A Fox

Mar 4, 1995, 7:33:55 PM3/4/95
On Sat, 4 Mar 1995, Warren D Lo wrote:

> I don't consume them, but boilermakers are a shot of whiskey *in* the beer;
> in some parts of Chicago.

How do you keep the shot glass from smashing into your teeth when you
drink?

Sean MacLennan

Mar 6, 1995, 9:16:13 PM3/6/95
In a previous posting, Michael McPhail (mcp...@garnet.msen.com) writes:
> Greg Owen {gowen} (go...@terminator.xis.xerox.com) wrote:
>
> : ab...@cfn.cs.dal.ca (MacKenzie Strickland) writes:
> : > It seems to me of all the beverages consumed by humankind, beer is the
> : > most unmixable one.
>
> I seem to remember mixing 50-50 beer with tomato juice. I drank an awful
> lot of it and woke up without a hangover. Although, I was never tempted
> again.

> [ | ]
> [ Mike McPhail | Look For NEW "Signature 95" ]
> [ mcp...@mail.msen.com | Coming This Summer! ]
> [ aa...@detroit.freenet.org | (or fall, whenever it's ready) ]
> [ | ]

I worked with a guy who always drank his beer this way. He started to avoid
hangovers and said he just got so used to it his beer didn't taste right
without it. You should have seen the looks he got at bars asking for tomato
juice to add to his beer!
Sean MacLennan | s...@toolsmiths.on.ca
Software Engineer | bn...@freenet.carleton.ca
Toolsmiths, Canada |

David Bridgman ACIC

Mar 7, 1995, 6:01:39 PM3/7/95

>In a previous posting, Michael McPhail (mcp...@garnet.msen.com) writes:
>> Greg Owen {gowen} (go...@terminator.xis.xerox.com) wrote:
>>
>> : ab...@cfn.cs.dal.ca (MacKenzie Strickland) writes:
>> : > It seems to me of all the beverages consumed by humankind, beer is the
>> : > most unmixable one.
>>
>> I seem to remember mixing 50-50 beer with tomato juice. I drank an awful
>> lot of it and woke up without a hangover. Although, I was never tempted
>> again.
>>

>I worked with a guy who always drank his beer this way. He started to avoid

>hangovers and said he just got so used to it his beer didn't taste right
>without it. You should have seen the looks he got at bars asking for tomato
>juice to add to his beer!

I can imagine. I tried this once, and it tasted bloody awful, but the
additional water and free-radical scavenging vitamins in the tomatoe juice
would probably go a long way to countering the dilatory effects of the
ethanol (and it's metabolic byproduct, aldehyde).

David Bridgman, ACIC
Chemical Engineering
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
888-4567 x3649

Monopoly anyone?

John M. Lukacs

Mar 9, 1995, 12:04:24 PM3/9/95
I'm sorry, I know it's a typo, but I have to do this...

bu...@falcon.cc.ukans.edu (Cheryl Jaremba) writes:

>I just thought I'd help out with the directions a little here. As a
>bartender and waitress I've seen bad things come out of this. A single
>shot glass is all that's necessary. Fill three-quarters full with
>amaretto, then top with 151. Ignite while sitting on the shot is sitting

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeeeeeouch!

Phillip Luebke

Mar 12, 1995, 6:28:29 PM3/12/95
Unfotunately I missed the original posting of this thread, but I will say
that when I lived in South Dakota, all bars stocked tomato juice and
olives, both commonly put in beer there.

Also- When I was in Germany, I tried a "cola weizen," Coke mixed with
weizenbier -- pretty good, actually -- but I'm not sure in what
proportions.
-
PHILLIP LUEBKE FPM...@prodigy.com

John Dunlevy

Mar 12, 1995, 10:48:40 PM3/12/95
In article <3k002t$m...@usenetw1.news.prodigy.com>,

Phillip Luebke <FPM...@prodigy.com> wrote:
>Unfotunately I missed the original posting of this thread, but I will say
>that when I lived in South Dakota, all bars stocked tomato juice and
>olives, both commonly put in beer there.
>
>Also- When I was in Germany, I tried a "cola weizen," Coke mixed with
>weizenbier -- pretty good, actually -- but I'm not sure in what
>proportions.

Sounds kinda like a "Radler," a half and half mix of lager and some kinda
soft drink (possibly an Almdudler-like "Kraeuterlimonade": an "herbal"
soft drink?) Not bad on a hot day.

Another mix: isn't there a drink which combines Guiness and Champagne?

And, less apetizing, I once met a guy from Estonia who put vodka in his
beer. He was crazy, though (and that isn't typical of people from Estonia).

--
John Dunlevy
du...@midway.uchicago.edu

Ariel A Fox

Mar 13, 1995, 12:57:24 PM3/13/95
John Dunlevy (du...@ellis.uchicago.edu) wrote:
. . .

: And, less apetizing, I once met a guy from Estonia who put vodka in his

: beer. He was crazy, though (and that isn't typical of people from
Estonia).

I once knew a guy who did this, but purely to increase the alcohol
content of beer. He was crazy too.

Nobody ever answered my question: When drinking a boilermaker, how do
you keep the shot glass from smashing into your teeth?

Joseph Nicholas

Mar 13, 1995, 7:37:49 PM3/13/95
A popular drink in Mexico is "michelada", which is beer with lime juice,
tobasco, and worchestershire sauce, served over ice with salt around
the rim. Since many beers served in Mexico can have nasty off flavors,
it isn't as bad as you might think.

-----
Joe

Tim Brehm

Mar 13, 1995, 11:44:36 PM3/13/95
I went to Guam and was introduced to a drink called tuba, by itself it
wasn't very good but when they told me to mix it with my favorite beer
50/50 it was great. Tuba is made by fermenting the sap from a young
coconut tree. If ya can ever get your hands on it give it a try...:)
SSgt Tim Homebrew USAF

Jim Starks

Mar 14, 1995, 1:23:27 PM3/14/95
When I lived in Colombia, a number of men, particularly in the Magdalena
Valley Region and along the Atlantic coast (Cartagena to Santa Marta)
enjoyed a drink called Rafajo (SP?). It was a mixture of orange juice
(orange soda in some places) mixed with beer. It tastes much better than
it sounds (I mix it half and half). Additionally, it's good warm (esp.
with the soda -- maybe why they drank it there, they didn't use ice that
often). It's also the best use of the leftover case of Bud from last
night's party. <G>.

Geoffrey L. Wright

Mar 14, 1995, 10:54:27 PM3/14/95
In article <3k2124$l...@news.ycc.yale.edu>, ari...@minerva.cis.yale.edu
(Ariel A Fox) wrote:

> Nobody ever answered my question: When drinking a boilermaker, how do
> you keep the shot glass from smashing into your teeth?

You don't. It's part of the experience.

glw

Geoffrey L. Wright

Mar 14, 1995, 11:09:21 PM3/14/95
Hey!

Nobody's mentioned the famous and wonderful "Blow Yer Skull Off".

The recipe, you ask? Here 'tis:

some dry stout
some rum (a little less rum than beer, and I prefer Mount Gay)
a squirt 'o lime juice
some opium (optional and illegal)
crushed cayenne pepper 'round the rim of the mug

Try a sweet stout instead of a dry one if you're feeling meek.
I use Guiness for my dry and Dragon for my sweet. Actually, although not
traditional, I find the sweet stout balances the lime juice quite nicely.

This is a real drink. They serve it at The Brickskeller in D.C. It's
reputably (at least according the Brickskeller menu) an old Austalian coal
miner's drink. Try it if you dare. It's only killed three people that I
know of, and they were all fairly weak to begin with.

glw