Beer Desserts // Dessert Beers

BeerFly

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

My last event at QVC's Book & The Cook here in Philly was Desserts and
Dessert Beers at Bridgid's, with Anne Cebula and the lovely Jim
Anderson, local beergod.

We got two rounds of beer desserts and dessert beers. First round:
Cherry Pie with Boon Kriek (sweet and sour, rich and piercing, NOT for
the kids!), Scaldis Flan (this was, for me, the most decadent of the
desserts: quiveringly rich flan with the whole wide malt and ester
palate of Scaldis--WOOF!), and Irish fruitcake with Great Divide's St.
Brigid's Porter (dense, gingery, delicious). The three beers were DRAFT
De Troch Banana Lambic (which was NOT anywhere NEAR as disgusting as it
may sound!), Dixie White Moose (which is, I'm sorry), and EKU 28
(KULMINATOR RULES!).

Round Two, served after pints of ice water: Hand-made Old Foghorn ice
cream with a Maple/Salvator sauce, served in a pastry cup (I was not
nuts about this, the cold made the bitterness overpowering), 'Beeramisu'
made with Chimay Grande Reserve (this was grand: moist, rich, complex
tiramisu knockoff, liked this better!), and Chocolate Mousse made with
Stille Nacht (good mousse, but I didn't get a lot of Stille Nacht in
it). The beers: Liefmans Gluhkriek (the heated, spiced, cherry
ale--really good!), Rogue Hazelnut Nectar (love it or hate it--I don't
really love it...), and Grolsch Wintervorst (unavailable in the U.S.
(don't ask), a very nice, malty lager).

What a wonderfully relaxed event. Bridgid's is such a cool place, you
can easily make an afternoon disappear there, and Anne and Jim are such
friendly people. (Yards ESA on the Downdraft system, BTW.) Good time,
but lord, I was bulging!

--
Lew Bryson
sms...@prodigy.com