Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - Release Date??

Wes Neuenschwander

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
Anyone have any idea when Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale will be
released? Or more specifically, when it's likely to become available
in the western Washington area?

Seems to me it was released last year around Halloween; also seems
that it's released earlier each year (as are most of the other
so-called Xmas beers). Personally, I wish they would distribute it
year around. Get's my vote for the best IPA in the world and IPA is
in season anytime, IMO.

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander
Seattle, WA, US

Joel Plutchak

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00
Wes Neuenschwander <we...@eskimo.com> wrote:
>Anyone have any idea when Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale will be
>released? Or more specifically, when it's likely to become available
>in the western Washington area?

In the past, hasn't it been closer to (US) Thanksgiving?

>...seems that it's released earlier each year (as are most of the other
>so-called Xmas beers).

I consider it more of a winter season beer, so a release in
November is not inappropriate.

>Personally, I wish they would distribute it year around.

I'm with you there, even though a small part of me suspects
it may loose just a bit of cachet if we didn't have to anticipate
it.
--
Joel Plutchak

"What two ideas are more inseparable than beer and Britannia?" - Sydney Smith

Dr H

Oct 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/23/00

}

}Seems to me it was released last year around Halloween; also seems

}that it's released earlier each year (as are most of the other

}so-called Xmas beers). Personally, I wish they would distribute it
}year around. Get's my vote for the best IPA in the world and IPA is
}in season anytime, IMO.

Hell, if they don't get it out by Wednesday they might be the last
brewery to release their "Xmas" seasonal this year.

Dr H

mr...@my-deja.com

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
Last year I made a list of all of the seasonal beers as they became
available. I wrote down when each one became available, where I bought
it, what it cost and some comments about the taste, food it went good
with, etc. I bought the SNCA last year on 11/01 for $32.00 a case. I
live in New York, so I'm sure the Western part of the nation had it
sometime in October last year.

Steve Henderson

In article <0fk8vs82g623gr707...@4ax.com>,

Wes Neuenschwander <we...@eskimo.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any idea when Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale will be
> released? Or more specifically, when it's likely to become available
> in the western Washington area?
>
> Seems to me it was released last year around Halloween; also seems
> that it's released earlier each year (as are most of the other
> so-called Xmas beers). Personally, I wish they would distribute it
> year around. Get's my vote for the best IPA in the world and IPA is
> in season anytime, IMO.
>

> -Wes
>
> Wes Neuenschwander
> Seattle, WA, US

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Ken Papai

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00

"Wes Neuenschwander" <we...@eskimo.com> wrote ...

> Anyone have any idea when Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale will be
> released? Or more specifically, when it's likely to become available
> in the western Washington area?

It's nearly always released in late October - very early November.
Anchor's OSA is always realesed during Thaksgiving week.
SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.

jfr...@my-deja.com

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
In article <8t3vqi$vh6$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

mr...@my-deja.com wrote:
> I bought the SNCA last year on 11/01 for $32.00 a case. I
> live in New York, so I'm sure the Western part of the nation had it
> sometime in October last year.

Weirdly enough, this isn't necessarily true. Celebration Ale has
appeared earlier back east than in the PNW. It's possible that the beer
was in the *warehouse* earlier up here (although I wouldn't bet on it),
yet some idiocy ^h^h^h^h^h^h policy prevents its timely released.

At any rate, ought to be along fairly soon.

--Jeff Frane

Steve Jackson

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
"Ken Papai" <k...@kenpapai.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.

Unless, of course, you're Nick, in which case it's one of the world's best
top 3 IAIPABEEDBMs (It's An IPA By Everyone Else's Definition But Mine).

-Steve

Joel Plutchak

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
> mr...@my-deja.com wrote:
>> I bought the SNCA last year on 11/01 for $32.00 a case. I
>> live in New York, so I'm sure the Western part of the nation had it
>> sometime in October last year.

Just checked email archives, and last year I first noticed it
here November 3. In my earlier message where I (mis)remembered a
more Thanksgivingish date, I was probably getting it confused with
Anchor OSA, which IIRC is supposed to be held back until around that
time (but invariably gets released early in a few places).

Lew Bryson

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00

Ken Papai <k...@kenpapai.com> wrote in message news:NdgJ5.352115>

> It's nearly always released in late October - very early November.

> Anchor's OSA is always realesed during Thaksgiving week.

> SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.

Absolutely, because it tastes so much like HopDevil.

[Ducks large objects descending on sub-orbital ballistic arcs from Bay
Area...]

--
Lew Bryson
It's a fragmented world these days; You might as well pick up the

jfr...@my-deja.com

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
In article <%whJ5.15386$1S5.1...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

"Steve Jackson" <stvja...@earthlink.net.no.spam> wrote:
> "Ken Papai" <k...@kenpapai.com> wrote in message
>
> <snip>

> > SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.
>
> Unless, of course, you're Nick, in which case it's one of the world's
best
> top 3 IAIPABEEDBMs (It's An IPA By Everyone Else's Definition But
Mine).

I think that's actually IAAIPABEEDBM (It's an American IPA By Everyone
Else's Definition But Mine). Thank God, though, he never says
it's "English-y"! We're safe as long as they keep dumping those
Cascades in there.

NOID999999

Oct 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/24/00
>Anyone have any idea when Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale will be
>released?

The distributor Select Wines in Northern Virginia got it last Thursday...I have
a keg in my walkin right now!

Randy

Bill Goodman

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00

Then Lew Bryson wrote:

> Absolutely, because it tastes so much like HopDevil.

Does it? Last year's SNCA seemed sweeter, almost syrupy, while the
HopDevil tends toward a more German-style malt flavor.

Anyway...if Ken P says, "SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3
IPAs", and Lew B puts HopDevil in the same ballpark, which beer would be
the 3rd of that bunch? I'd go with Tupper's Hop Pocket...though Great
Lakes Burning River is very good too.

Lew Bryson

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00

Bill Goodman <William...@noaa.gov> wrote in message

> Ken Papai <k...@kenpapai.com> wrote in message news:NdgJ5.352115>
> > SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.
> Then Lew Bryson wrote:
> > Absolutely, because it tastes so much like HopDevil.
>
> Does it? Last year's SNCA seemed sweeter, almost syrupy, while the
> HopDevil tends toward a more German-style malt flavor.

I haven't done a side-by-side for three years, and that time they were
damn near identical, main difference being that SNCA's hop aroma lasted
longer. Guess it's time for more self-sacrifice and research...

> Anyway...if Ken P says, "SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3
> IPAs", and Lew B puts HopDevil in the same ballpark, which beer would
be
> the 3rd of that bunch? I'd go with Tupper's Hop Pocket...though Great
> Lakes Burning River is very good too.

I'd refuse to be limited to three unless I got to taste all of them
first and then someone put a gun to my head. And while Tupper's is good,
the Tupper's Pils is so damned much better I tend not to take the Ale as
seriously.

Ullrich

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Bill Goodman wrote:
> Anyway...if Ken P says, "SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3
> IPAs", and Lew B puts HopDevil in the same ballpark, which beer would be
> the 3rd of that bunch? I'd go with Tupper's Hop Pocket...though Great
> Lakes Burning River is very good too.

Hop Ottin'

Phil

Nyarlathotep

Oct 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/25/00
In article
<Pine.A41.4.21a.00102...@red.weeg.uiowa.edu>,

I haven't had the good fortune to try Hop Pocket, but I agree that
SNCA & Hop Ottin' are of the same caliber. I'm eagerly awaiting this
year's CA.

David E. Lundberg

Oct 26, 2000, 11:38:45 PM10/26/00
SNCA is available now in PA.

My rep brought in a couple bottles this afternoon, so, for the common
good, I felt the need to drink a few. I also did a side by side with a
Hop Devil draft, with my rep. He seemed shocked at the similarities
beteen the two. The SNCA bottles were 52 degrees F (my personal
preference for such ales), the draft 44 degrees F.

The SNCA seemed a little more balanced this year than last, the malt a
bit more assertive than I remembered, but not sweet. As mentioned
elsewhere, the hops profile and finish seemed identical to the Hop
Devil. Due to the temperature difference, I hesitate to compare the
malt profiles beteen the two. Overall, an excellent beer, so I ordered
my first kegs for next week.

The Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome, Sam Adam's Winter Lager and a few
other winter beers are also now available, and the Stoudt's Holiday
Reserve should be out next week.

Dave Lundberg

Wes Neuenschwander wrote:

> Anyone have any idea when Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale will be

> released? Or more specifically, when it's likely to become available
> in the western Washington area?
>

> Seems to me it was released last year around Halloween; also seems
> that it's released earlier each year (as are most of the other
> so-called Xmas beers). Personally, I wish they would distribute it
> year around. Get's my vote for the best IPA in the world and IPA is
> in season anytime, IMO.

David Witzel

Oct 27, 2000, 12:45:44 AM10/27/00
In article <39F6A598...@noaa.gov>, Bill Goodman <William...@noaa.gov> wrote:
>Ken Papai <k...@kenpapai.com> wrote in message news:NdgJ5.352115>
>
>> SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.
>

>Then Lew Bryson wrote:
>
>> Absolutely, because it tastes so much like HopDevil.
>
>Does it? Last year's SNCA seemed sweeter, almost syrupy, while the
>HopDevil tends toward a more German-style malt flavor.
>

>Anyway...if Ken P says, "SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3
>IPAs", and Lew B puts HopDevil in the same ballpark, which beer would be
>the 3rd of that bunch? I'd go with Tupper's Hop Pocket...though Great
>Lakes Burning River is very good too.

I *finally* got hold of Great Lakes beer while in Akron this past
weekend. Breaking out the Burning River Pale Ale (which understandably,
unlike the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, doesn't explain the etymology of
the name). I don't know about you, but top three? Way off-balance -- not
a significant malt backup to my taste buds -- and besides, they don't
even bother to call it an IPA, American or otherwise.

Now the Bell's Two-Hearted, there's a powerful IPA. No room in the
fridge yet for the Alpha King, though I'd bet from the discussions here
that it may rate near the top. The West Point Market didn't have Goose
Island IPA, so I went with Honker, though that sits unrefrigerated as
well right now.

I was going to save all this for a "I hate the Midwest 'cause they get
some great beers I can't find in New York" thread, but oh well.

DJW

David Witzel \ djwi...@onepine.com / http://www.onepine.com/~djwitzel

DonS

Oct 27, 2000, 1:12:09 AM10/27/00
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 04:45:44 GMT, djwi...@onepine.twopine.com (David
Witzel) wrote:

>[...]

>I *finally* got hold of Great Lakes beer while in Akron this past
>weekend. Breaking out the Burning River Pale Ale (which understandably,
>unlike the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, doesn't explain the etymology of

>the name). [...]

The etymology has to do with the fact that some river in Ohio - the
Cuyahoga? Something like that - actually caught fire because it was
so filthy with pullatants, including petrochemicals. The river has
sinced been significantly cleaned up, but that bad reputation was
something to live down for years afterwards.
--
dgsSPAMS...@teleportSHOVEYOURSPAM.com
http://nwbrewpage.com

Ullrich

Oct 27, 2000, 8:33:29 AM10/27/00
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, David Witzel wrote:
> Now the Bell's Two-Hearted, there's a powerful IPA. No room in the
> fridge yet for the Alpha King, though I'd bet from the discussions here
> that it may rate near the top.

Bell's, yeah. TFAK, don't think so, not in bottles anyway. It's brewed
by Schell.

Phil

Daniel McConnell

Oct 27, 2000, 10:12:53 AM10/27/00

Surprised I haven't seen mention of Weyerbacher's Hops Infusion.
Its one of my favorites, at least.

Joel Plutchak

Oct 27, 2000, 10:17:49 AM10/27/00
DonS <dgs1300S...@teleportLOUSYSPAM.com> wrote:

[...on Great Lakes' Burning River Pale Ale...]

>The etymology has to do with the fact that some river in Ohio - the
>Cuyahoga? Something like that - actually caught fire because it was
>so filthy with pullatants, including petrochemicals. The river has
>sinced been significantly cleaned up, but that bad reputation was
>something to live down for years afterwards.

...and a good portion of the locals don't like hearing it brought
up, hence the lack of explanation on the label. One of the owners
told me they still catch some sh*t for the name.

Joel Plutchak

Oct 27, 2000, 10:20:08 AM10/27/00
Ullrich <pull...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote:
>> Now the Bell's Two-Hearted, there's a powerful IPA. No room in the
>> fridge yet for the Alpha King, though I'd bet from the discussions here
>> that it may rate near the top.

>Bell's, yeah. TFAK, don't think so, not in bottles anyway. It's brewed
>by Schell.

Yeah, I just can't get myself to buy the Alpha King in bottles
(OK, I buy it, but my wife drinks it) when I can still get it from
the tap locally. Just not the same beer-- in bottles it has a sort
of burnt caramelly character to the malt and not as fresh a hoppiness.
On tap it's hop-heaven in a glass with a cleanly FMB.

Lew Bryson

Oct 27, 2000, 10:35:11 AM10/27/00

Daniel McConnell <dsmc...@linc.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in message

> Surprised I haven't seen mention of Weyerbacher's Hops Infusion.
> Its one of my favorites, at least.

Weyerbacher just doesn't get outside of the Lehigh Valley and Philly:
too bad for the rest of the world, but screw 'em.

Lew Bryson

Oct 27, 2000, 10:38:08 AM10/27/00

David E. Lundberg <Da...@DavidLundberg.com> wrote in message

> SNCA is available now in PA.
> My rep brought in a couple bottles this afternoon, so, for the common
> good, I felt the need to drink a few. I also did a side by side with
> Hop Devil draft, with my rep. He seemed shocked at the similarities
> beteen the two. The SNCA bottles were 52 degrees F (my personal
> preference for such ales), the draft 44 degrees F.
>
> The SNCA seemed a little more balanced this year than last, the malt a
> bit more assertive than I remembered, but not sweet. As mentioned
> elsewhere, the hops profile and finish seemed identical to the Hop
> Devil. Due to the temperature difference, I hesitate to compare the
> malt profiles beteen the two.

A sit-down, blind tasting of the two beers in identical condition is
quite an eye-opener. Ron Barchet has told me that HopDevil owes more
than a little to SNCA in inspiration. What better inspiration,
gentlemen?

DonS

Oct 27, 2000, 11:15:42 AM10/27/00
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:35:11 -0400, "Lew Bryson" <bee...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>Daniel McConnell <dsmc...@linc.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> Surprised I haven't seen mention of Weyerbacher's Hops Infusion.
>> Its one of my favorites, at least.
>
>Weyerbacher just doesn't get outside of the Lehigh Valley and Philly:
>too bad for the rest of the world, but screw 'em.

The same can be said for Diamond Knot's almost literally breath-
taking IPA: don't look for it very far outside of King and Snohomish
Counties in Washington. For the rest of the world: "Screw you guys.
I'm going home." Snoqualmie Falls and Maritime have also cranked out
some tasty IPA's of late.

Still, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be delighted at the chance to
sip more "back-easters" like Weyerbacher's HI, along with other
good brews I've had from the likes of DeGroen's or Victory. I
also missed out on a chance to try an Allagash beer last August;
that was part of the bunch that didn't make it to the GBBF in time.

Wes Neuenschwander

Oct 27, 2000, 12:12:26 PM10/27/00
According to the local distributor (Western Washington Beverage)
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is due to arrive in the Seattle area in
both bottles and kegs Nov. 1. Should start seeing it on shelfs and
taps within a day or two.

-Wes

Dr H

Oct 27, 2000, 2:40:36 PM10/27/00

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Ken Papai wrote:

}It's nearly always released in late October - very early November.
}Anchor's OSA is always realesed during Thaksgiving week.

}SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.

Hmm. To me AIPA and BIPA are very different animals and I have a
hard time lumping them all together. I'll go with SNCA as one of
the top three AIPAs, though.

Dr H

Garry Simmons

Oct 27, 2000, 5:44:12 PM10/27/00
> I *finally* got hold of Great Lakes beer while in Akron this past
> weekend. Breaking out the Burning River Pale Ale (which understandably,
> unlike the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, doesn't explain the etymology of
> the name).

The Cuyahoga (sp?) River that flows thru/near Cleveland had a reputation for
catching on fire due to pollution.

> I don't know about you, but top three? Way off-balance -- not
> a significant malt backup to my taste buds -- and besides, they don't
> even bother to call it an IPA, American or otherwise.

They call it a pale ale I think, but it's got a lot of hop aroma and flavor.
I think of it as an IPA. They make a Commodore Perry IPA that's nice.

> Now the Bell's Two-Hearted, there's a powerful IPA. No room in the
> fridge yet for the Alpha King, though I'd bet from the discussions here
> that it may rate near the top.

I was disappointed in the bottles of Alpha King I've had. Nice enough beer,
but I'd rather have a Burning River. When I mentioned that here earlier this
summer, I was told the bottled version is a different beast than the
highly-regarded stuff on tap.

Garry
Garry Simmons <ga...@simmonsinteractive.com>
Simmons Interactive <www.simmonsinteractive.com>

Garry Simmons

Oct 27, 2000, 5:45:54 PM10/27/00
> Surprised I haven't seen mention of Weyerbacher's Hops Infusion.
> Its one of my favorites, at least.

We can get it here in Pittsburgh. I don't care for it. Always tastes "off"
to me. Bottle, keg, whatever. Always funky/nasty. Maybe that's what they're
shooting for.

Marc Y Rehfuss

Oct 27, 2000, 7:46:49 PM10/27/00

"Ullrich" <pull...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote in message
At the GABF our brewpub (Little Apple Brewing Co., Manhattan, KS.
Did anyone try our fabulous scotch ale?) was situated right next to Bell's.
Needless to say, I had many tastes of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale and their
Expedition Stout. Two-Hearted Ale is tremendously hoppy and citrusy.
It just screams centennials and that's the only hop used-- bittering,
flavoring, aroma and dry-hop. The almost exagerrated hop profile makes
it taste like grapefruit juice, but it does seem a tad one dimensional.
Loved it
anyway. Fabulous right out the keg, but I don't know what the bottled
version
is like. Expedition Stout is a tremendously powerful (11.5%), roasty and
bittersweet imperial stout. Simply among the very best I've tasted. Back
IPAs--There were many great AIPA's there! I probably consumed
enough hops to kill my intenstinal flora. Believe it or not, Hop Ottin' IPA
seemed tame in hops compared to many of them, and was just a face in the
crowd. God, what a paradise.

........................Marc

Bill Goodman

Oct 28, 2000, 11:00:35 AM10/28/00
David Witzel wrote:

> I *finally* got hold of Great Lakes beer while in Akron this past
> weekend. Breaking out the Burning River Pale Ale (which
> understandably, unlike the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, doesn't explain
> the etymology of the name). I don't know about you, but top three? Way
> off-balance -- not a significant malt backup to my taste buds -- and
> besides, they don't even bother to call it an IPA, American or
> otherwise.

Really? When I tried it a year or so back, I thought it similar to
HopDevil except slightly less hoped--enough to still make it an IPA?

David Witzel

Oct 28, 2000, 12:59:48 PM10/28/00
In article <8tc2qd$r...@brew.ncsa.uiuc.edu>, plut...@SncsaP.uiucA.eduM (Joel Plutchak) wrote:
>DonS <dgs1300S...@teleportLOUSYSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>[...on Great Lakes' Burning River Pale Ale...]
>
>>The etymology has to do with the fact that some river in Ohio - the
>>Cuyahoga? Something like that - actually caught fire because it was
>>so filthy with pullatants, including petrochemicals. The river has
>>sinced been significantly cleaned up, but that bad reputation was
>>something to live down for years afterwards.
>
> ...and a good portion of the locals don't like hearing it brought
>up, hence the lack of explanation on the label. One of the owners
>told me they still catch some sh*t for the name.

That was what I was inferring. One would think that Cleveland would like
as little to be mentioned of the day the Cuyahoga caught fire (late
June, 1969 I gather) as possible:

http://www.post-gazette.com/forum/19990630edriver2.asp

David Witzel

Oct 28, 2000, 1:05:19 PM10/28/00

I think it was certainly hopped to a level where calling it an IPA is
warranted, but they *don't* call it an IPA. As for being similar to
HopDevil, I personally beleive (YMMV) the HopDevil is more in-balance,
based on previous, plentiful draft/bottle samplings, compared to a
two-bottle verdict on GLBRPA. If all you want is hops, it's a fine
choice.

Collin Powers

Oct 28, 2000, 11:21:30 PM10/28/00
If you ever get caught in Manhattan, Kansas this is the place to go. I have
had some high quality ales there of a number of different styles. Heidi the
bartender was responsible for much of the early direction for this place,
and I thought a guy named Lou was the current brewmaster. They know what
they're doing and the clientele is also pretty educated on the finer side of
beer.

Chuck Cook

Oct 29, 2000, 3:47:19 PM10/29/00
Lew Bryson wrote:

> Weyerbacher just doesn't get outside of the Lehigh Valley and Philly:
> too bad for the rest of the world, but screw 'em.

I've heard rumors the occasional 6 pack of the Hops Infusion and Yards IPA
slip out of the Valley for a vacation down in Carolina-and that they are
never heard from again....Chuck C.

Joel Plutchak

Oct 30, 2000, 9:27:34 AM10/30/00
Marc Y Rehfuss <myr...@ksu.edu> wrote:
>I probably consumed enough hops to kill my intenstinal flora.

That one's going in my .sig quote file.

Ken Papai

Oct 30, 2000, 11:20:20 AM10/30/00
In <8t4fii$7756$1...@newssvr05-en0.news.prodigy.com> "Lew Bryson" <bee...@prodigy.net> writes:

>Ken Papai <k...@kenpapai.com> wrote in message news:NdgJ5.352115>

>> It's nearly always released in late October - very early November.

>> Anchor's OSA is always realesed during Thaksgiving week.
>> SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.

>Absolutely, because it tastes so much like HopDevil.

Hmm... Hasn't SNCA, doesn't SNCA pre-date Hop Devil by
a few years? SNCA is pre-1991, how pre though??

Kenneth J. Papai

--
Ken Papai Marin County, California
k...@kenpapai.com http://www.rahul.net/kpapai

Ken Papai

Oct 30, 2000, 11:52:42 AM10/30/00
In <8tb19o$3ac...@news.onepine.com> djwi...@onepine.twopine.com (David Witzel) writes:

>In article <39F6A598...@noaa.gov>, Bill Goodman <William...@noaa.gov> wrote:
>>Ken Papai <k...@kenpapai.com> wrote in message news:NdgJ5.352115>
>>
>>> SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.
>>
>>Then Lew Bryson wrote:
>>> Absolutely, because it tastes so much like HopDevil.
>>
>>Does it? Last year's SNCA seemed sweeter, almost syrupy, while the
>>HopDevil tends toward a more German-style malt flavor.
>>

>>Anyway...if Ken P says, "SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3
>>IPAs", and Lew B puts HopDevil in the same ballpark, which beer would be
>>the 3rd of that bunch? I'd go with Tupper's Hop Pocket...though Great
>>Lakes Burning River is very good too.

Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:

- SNCA
- AV Hop Ottin
- Full Sail IPA
- Goose Island IPA
- perhaps Anchor Liberty Ale
- Tupper Hop Pocket
- Victory Hop Devil

(note these are considered because they are in the standard format
12 oz. brown bottles and available in at least a few States_

Should Deschutes belong in the Best list?

>I *finally* got hold of Great Lakes beer while in Akron this past
>weekend. Breaking out the Burning River Pale Ale (which understandably,
>unlike the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, doesn't explain the etymology of
>the name). I don't know about you, but top three? Way off-balance -- not
>a significant malt backup to my taste buds -- and besides, they don't
>even bother to call it an IPA, American or otherwise.

>Now the Bell's Two-Hearted, there's a powerful IPA. No room in the
>fridge yet for the Alpha King, though I'd bet from the discussions here
>that it may rate near the top. The West Point Market didn't have Goose
>Island IPA, so I went with Honker, though that sits unrefrigerated as
>well right now.

>I was going to save all this for a "I hate the Midwest 'cause they get
>some great beers I can't find in New York" thread, but oh well.

Guillaume le Mechant

Oct 30, 2000, 11:51:33 AM10/30/00
:
: Then Lew Bryson wrote:
:
: > Absolutely, because it tastes so much like HopDevil.
:
: Does it? Last year's SNCA seemed sweeter, almost syrupy, while the
: HopDevil tends toward a more German-style malt flavor.
:
:
: Anyway...if Ken P says, "SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3
: IPAs", and Lew B puts HopDevil in the same ballpark, which beer would be
: the 3rd of that bunch? I'd go with Tupper's Hop Pocket...though Great
: Lakes Burning River is very good too.

I'd prob'ly go with Bear Republic's Racer 5.

S'Will

Ullrich

Oct 30, 2000, 4:37:24 PM10/30/00
On 30 Oct 2000, Ken Papai wrote:
> Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:
> - SNCA
> - AV Hop Ottin
> - Full Sail IPA
> - Goose Island IPA
> - perhaps Anchor Liberty Ale
> - Tupper Hop Pocket
> - Victory Hop Devil
>
> Should Deschutes belong in the Best list?

Not IMO. My list is in no order:

Diamondknot
Hop Ottin' draft
Bells' Two-Heart
Bigtime's IPAs
Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
Wolf Tongue, Nederland, CO

Phil

Nyarlathotep

Oct 30, 2000, 5:00:44 PM10/30/00
In article <8tk90q$283$1...@samba.rahul.net>,
Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote:

> Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:
>
> - SNCA
> - AV Hop Ottin
> - Full Sail IPA
> - Goose Island IPA
> - perhaps Anchor Liberty Ale
> - Tupper Hop Pocket
> - Victory Hop Devil

This is a good list. I'd take out the Goose Island brew and add
Bell's Two-Hearted Ale & maybe Bear Republic's IPA.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Nyarlathotep

Oct 30, 2000, 5:02:31 PM10/30/00
In article <8tk744$1ub$1...@samba.rahul.net>,

Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote:
> In <8t4fii$7756$1...@newssvr05-en0.news.prodigy.com> "Lew Bryson"
<bee...@prodigy.net> writes:

> >Ken Papai <k...@kenpapai.com> wrote in message news:NdgJ5.352115>
>
> >> It's nearly always released in late October - very early November.
> >> Anchor's OSA is always realesed during Thaksgiving week.
> >> SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.
>
> >Absolutely, because it tastes so much like HopDevil.
>
> Hmm... Hasn't SNCA, doesn't SNCA pre-date Hop Devil by
> a few years? SNCA is pre-1991, how pre though??

I had my first SNCA in '87 or '88 (& what a memorable beer it
was!). It's first appearance could be much earlier than that.

Ken Papai

Oct 30, 2000, 5:41:25 PM10/30/00
Nyarlathotep <nyarla...@my-deja.com> writes:
> Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote:
>> Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:
>> - SNCA
>> - AV Hop Ottin
>> - Full Sail IPA
>> - Goose Island IPA
>> - perhaps Anchor Liberty Ale
>> - Tupper Hop Pocket
>> - Victory Hop Devil

> This is a good list. I'd take out the Goose Island brew and add
>Bell's Two-Hearted Ale & maybe Bear Republic's IPA.

I would also add Ross Valley Brewing Co.'s IPA (Fairfax, CA.) but
it is on-draft only and available ONLY at the brewpub. So it's not
a fair one to list.

I've never seen Bell's nor Bear Republic available in 12 oz. bottles.
Bear Rep. Racer 5 (an IPA) is available around here in 22 oz.

Nyarlathotep

Oct 30, 2000, 6:14:12 PM10/30/00
In article <8tktel$616$1...@samba.rahul.net>,

Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote:
> Nyarlathotep <nyarla...@my-deja.com> writes:
> > Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote:
> >> Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:
> >> - SNCA
> >> - AV Hop Ottin
> >> - Full Sail IPA
> >> - Goose Island IPA
> >> - perhaps Anchor Liberty Ale
> >> - Tupper Hop Pocket
> >> - Victory Hop Devil
>
> > This is a good list. I'd take out the Goose Island brew and add
> >Bell's Two-Hearted Ale & maybe Bear Republic's IPA.
>
> I would also add Ross Valley Brewing Co.'s IPA (Fairfax, CA.) but
> it is on-draft only and available ONLY at the brewpub. So it's not
> a fair one to list.

I'll keep my eye out for this. How about Pike IPA, would you
include that on the list?

> I've never seen Bell's nor Bear Republic available in 12 oz. bottles.
> Bear Rep. Racer 5 (an IPA) is available around here in 22 oz.

When I tasted Bell's fine Two-Hearted Ale, it was from 12 oz.
bottles.

Marc Y Rehfuss

Oct 30, 2000, 6:20:09 PM10/30/00
Yes- please stop by if you're in the area. The atmosphere, quality of the
beers
and quality of the service really make it the best place to go here.
There's still
some of our Stockyard Scotch ale left on tap as well as Bison Brown Ale,
Prairie Pale Ale, Riley's Red Ale, XX Black Angus Stout, Wildcat Wheat,
Roasted Red Wheat and probably something I"m forgetting. I'm not directly
affliated w/ the brewpub-- Just a homebrewer, a regular and friend of the
brewmaster Lou. It was a blast pouring tastes for people at GABF and
representing this fine brewpub. Come by on Mondays and all pints are $1.50.
16 oz. of 10% ABV Scotch Ale at $1.50 will catch up to you...

.........later, Marc

"Collin Powers" <cpo...@cavtel.net> wrote in message

Nick Bruels

Oct 30, 2000, 6:31:36 PM10/30/00
Nyarlathotep <nyarla...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8tk90q$283$1...@samba.rahul.net>,
> Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote:

> > Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:
> >
> > - SNCA
> > - AV Hop Ottin

"It's a vairable beer man."

> > - Full Sail IPA

BZZZT! No American/citric/resinous hops, much too (...wait for
it...) English-y. We're talking about ABECHNBTIIPA's (American-
brewed explosively citric hopped non-British-traditional
innovative IPA), not just happens-to-be-brewed-in-the-USA-and-is-
labeled-"IPA."

But FS is the best English-y American-brewed IPA, no doubt.

> > - Goose Island IPA
> > - perhaps Anchor Liberty Ale

Bingo; fresh stuff defines the "style".

> > - Tupper Hop Pocket
> > - Victory Hop Devil

Too damned malty.

> This is a good list. I'd take out the Goose Island brew and add

Aye.

> Bell's Two-Hearted Ale

Eh...too sweet for IPA. Beautifully resinous/Centennial
hop flavor/aroma, but not really bitter & a bit too malty
for IPA.

> & maybe Bear Republic's IPA.

How's about Stone? Racer 5? Pelican? Mia & Pia's of Klamath
Falls? Deschutes' O.B.F.I.P.A., brewed specially for the 1994
Oregon Brewers Fest? (No, Quail Springs does not belong on
this list.) Steve's former De-Rail at the High Street in
Eugene (or whatever it is at his new gig at Eugene City)?

--
Time to play "Spot the Giggy":
http://www.beercapital.com/faces/spot_the_giggy.html

"Do you think Bush is entitled--am I entitled to any votes? We have to
earn them. If Gore cannot beat the bumbling Texas governor with that
horrific record, what good is he? What good is he? Good heavens. I mean,
this should be a slam dunk [for Gore]. -- Ralph Nader, 2000.10.29
http://abcnews.go.com/onair/thisweek/transcripts/tw001029_nader_trans.html
(If only certain OTHER presidential candidates had the balls to address
questions so directly!)

DonS

Oct 30, 2000, 10:03:35 PM10/30/00
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:37:24 -0600, Ullrich
<pull...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote:

>On 30 Oct 2000, Ken Papai wrote:
>> Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:
>> - SNCA
>> - AV Hop Ottin
>> - Full Sail IPA
>> - Goose Island IPA
>> - perhaps Anchor Liberty Ale
>> - Tupper Hop Pocket
>> - Victory Hop Devil
>>
>> Should Deschutes belong in the Best list?

Hey! You snipped an important little bit of Ken's post, Phil:

>>(note these are considered because they are in the standard format
>>12 oz. brown bottles and available in at least a few States_

>Not IMO. My list is in no order:

>Diamondknot
>Hop Ottin' draft
>Bells' Two-Heart
>Bigtime's IPAs
>Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery
>Wolf Tongue, Nederland, CO

Right, but there's that "bottled and available" thing too.
Otherwise, I'd have been recommending DK's IPA along with ya.
It's going to be a *long* time before these guys get to the
bottling phase, though.

DonS

Oct 30, 2000, 10:07:22 PM10/30/00
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:31:36 GMT, Nick Bruels
<see_h...@figure.it.out.com> wrote:

>Nyarlathotep <nyarla...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> In article <8tk90q$283$1...@samba.rahul.net>,
>> Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote:
>
>> > Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:
>> >
>> > - SNCA

Gee Nick, you allow this one in...
>[...]

>> > - Victory Hop Devil
>
>Too damned malty.

But you don't cut VHD the same slack.

You've done the side-by-side with SNCA then? Opportunity's
a-knockin'.

Lew Bryson

Oct 30, 2000, 10:13:54 PM10/30/00

Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote in message

> In <8t4fii$7756$1...@newssvr05-en0.news.prodigy.com> "Lew Bryson"
<bee...@prodigy.net> writes:
> >Ken Papai <k...@kenpapai.com> wrote in message news:NdgJ5.352115>
> >> SNCA is definitely in the World's Best top 3 IPAs.
> >Absolutely, because it tastes so much like HopDevil.
>
> Hmm... Hasn't SNCA, doesn't SNCA pre-date Hop Devil by
> a few years? SNCA is pre-1991, how pre though??

Just yanking your chain, Ken. My first SNCA was in 1987, still have the
empty bottle. And I don't generally keep bottles, I may have 30 empties
at most. But landmarks I keep.

Joel Plutchak

Oct 31, 2000, 9:21:27 AM10/31/00
In article <8tktel$616$1...@samba.rahul.net>, Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote:
>I've never seen Bell's nor Bear Republic available in 12 oz. bottles.
>Bear Rep. Racer 5 (an IPA) is available around here in 22 oz.

Bell's (nit: at least in the earlier incarnation, it wasn't
called "Bell's," just "Two hearted Ale" from Kalamazoo Brewing)
is commonly available in bottles, at least in the region. They
don't age very well, but Two Hearted fresh from bottles is as
fine as what you get from a keg.
Hmmm, I saw it on tap in Chicago so it's definitely in season,
but bottles haven't made it to this town. Gotta get on the local
retailer.

Jeff Frane

Oct 31, 2000, 12:29:11 PM10/31/00
<see_h...@figure.it.out.com> wrote:

>> > - Full Sail IPA
>
>BZZZT! No American/citric/resinous hops, much too (...wait for
>it...) English-y. We're talking about ABECHNBTIIPA's (American-
>brewed explosively citric hopped non-British-traditional
>innovative IPA), not just happens-to-be-brewed-in-the-USA-and-is-
>labeled-"IPA."

We are? Gosh, I must have missed that one. To me, an American IPA is
one brewed in the US, an English IPA is one brewed in England. "Best"
is defined as "really good." Seems like you're making a ton of
assumptions, Nick.

>> > - Victory Hop Devil
>
>Too damned malty.

I see Don busted you on this one. Not only is it absurd to include
SNCA and not HD, the notion that malt disqualifies a beer from being
considered an IPA is ridickolus. As ridickolus as the notion that an
American IPA *must* be loaded up with American citrus/resiny hops. Who
sez?

Does this mean that all American pilsners *must* be brewed with
Clusters? wtf?

>> Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
>

>Eh...too sweet for IPA. Beautifully resinous/Centennial
>hop flavor/aroma, but not really bitter & a bit too malty
>for IPA.

Again with the "too malty" bullshit. Nertz to you, Nick.

--Jeff Frane

Joel Plutchak

Oct 31, 2000, 2:55:39 PM10/31/00
Jeff Frane <fran...@pcez.com> wrote:
>I see Don busted you on this one. Not only is it absurd to include
>SNCA and not HD, the notion that malt disqualifies a beer from being
>considered an IPA is ridickolus.

Same goes for Two Hearted Ale. It's got the gravity, it's
got the bitterness (KBC claims it's the bitterest beer they make,
which is saying a lot for a Larry Bell beer), and...

>As ridickolus as the notion that an American IPA *must* be loaded up
>with American citrus/resiny hops. Who sez?

...it's got a ton of American/citrus hops.

As for definition of terms, yeah, I think an American[-style]
IPA should have American[-style] hops. Just like an APA should
have America hops, if one is being style-conscious.

jeff...@my-deja.com

Oct 31, 2000, 3:57:22 PM10/31/00
In article <8tn83r$g...@brew.ncsa.uiuc.edu>,
plut...@SncsaP.uiucA.eduM (Joel Plutchak) wrote:
> Jeff Frane <fran...@pcez.com> wrote:

> >As ridickolus as the notion that an American IPA *must* be loaded up
> >with American citrus/resiny hops. Who sez?
>
> ...it's got a ton of American/citrus hops.
>
> As for definition of terms, yeah, I think an American[-style]
> IPA should have American[-style] hops. Just like an APA should
> have America hops, if one is being style-conscious.

My point is that we're not running a homebrew competition here. Fitting
some mythical model of what an American IPA is supposed to be like is
probably even silly in that regard. Given that the style has only been
in existence for maybe 15 years (unless we credit Ballantine IPA, which
is a possibility), and is still in flux, it's presumptuous to announce
that an American IPA *must* contain a specific hop variety. What if we
use American-grown Fuggles (or Willamettes). Shake the finger at that
one?

If Ballantine *is* the model, we can't even use Cascades. We'll
probably have to limit it to Clusters and Brewers Gold hops. This is
taking the Stylisto approach to absurdity.

--Jeff Frane

Joel Plutchak

Oct 31, 2000, 4:55:31 PM10/31/00
In article <8tnbne$d4a$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <jeff...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> plut...@SncsaP.uiucA.eduM (Joel Plutchak) wrote:
>> As for definition of terms, yeah, I think an American[-style]
>> IPA should have American[-style] hops. Just like an APA should
>> have America hops, if one is being style-conscious.

>My point is that we're not running a homebrew competition here.

No, but as in anything, it's useful to define terms for purposes
of discussion. Otherwise we get people who, for example, say goofy
things like "all (recorded) music is industrial because it comes
out of the music industry." It doesn't add anything to the discussion.

>If Ballantine *is* the model, we can't even use Cascades. We'll
>probably have to limit it to Clusters and Brewers Gold hops. This is
>taking the Stylisto approach to absurdity.

Yes, but even *I* wouldn't go that far. That would be, um, absurd.

Will you at least admit that one can define a beerspace in
which one can draw a couple points, define them as "American-style
IPA" and "British-style IPA", then use that as a starting point for
discussing all IPAs as they reate to those points?

jeff...@my-deja.com

Oct 31, 2000, 6:30:49 PM10/31/00
In article <8tnf4j$h...@brew.ncsa.uiuc.edu>,
plut...@SncsaP.uiucA.eduM (Joel Plutchak) wrote:

> Will you at least admit that one can define a beerspace in
> which one can draw a couple points, define them as "American-style
> IPA" and "British-style IPA", then use that as a starting point for
> discussing all IPAs as they reate to those points?

Like a sliding scale? I can relate to the concept of a *spectrum*, on
which BIPA extremis is at one end and some Broolz-defined AIPA is on
the other. What I can't accept is the notion that a beer falls off this
spectrum because it's too malty (!) or because it uses inappropriate
hops. We could probably define a [fairly broad] color range and a
[fairly broad] range for %abv.

Lew Bryson

Oct 31, 2000, 10:19:21 PM10/31/00

Jeff Frane <fran...@pcez.com> wrote in message

> Nick Bruels <see_h...@figure.it.out.com> wrote:
> > We're talking about ABECHNBTIIPA's (American-
> >brewed explosively citric hopped non-British-traditional
> >innovative IPA), not just happens-to-be-brewed-in-the-USA-and-is-
> >labeled-"IPA."
> We are? Gosh, I must have missed that one. To me, an American IPA is
> one brewed in the US, an English IPA is one brewed in England. "Best"
> is defined as "really good." Seems like you're making a ton of
> assumptions, Nick.

> >Too damned malty.
> I see Don busted you on this one. Not only is it absurd to include
> SNCA and not HD, the notion that malt disqualifies a beer from being
> considered an IPA is ridickolus. As ridickolus as the notion that an
> American IPA *must* be loaded up with American citrus/resiny hops. Who
> sez?
>
> Does this mean that all American pilsners *must* be brewed with
> Clusters? wtf?

> >> Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
> >Eh...too sweet for IPA. Beautifully resinous/Centennial
> >hop flavor/aroma, but not really bitter & a bit too malty
> >for IPA.
> Again with the "too malty" bullshit. Nertz to you, Nick.

Go Frane, Go Frane, Go Frane, Go Frane....

IPA is too precious to reserve to ONE STINKING KIND OF BEER WITH ONE
STINKING KIND OF HOPS. The people will speak, and when they do, your
white ass is gonna be up against the hopkiln WALL, Bruels!

Lew Bryson

Oct 31, 2000, 10:25:01 PM10/31/00

<jeff...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> plut...@SncsaP.uiucA.eduM (Joel Plutchak) wrote:
> > Will you at least admit that one can define a beerspace in
> > which one can draw a couple points, define them as "American-style
> > IPA" and "British-style IPA", then use that as a starting point for
> > discussing all IPAs as they reate to those points?
>
> Like a sliding scale? I can relate to the concept of a *spectrum*, on
> which BIPA extremis is at one end and some Broolz-defined AIPA is on
> the other. What I can't accept is the notion that a beer falls off
this
> spectrum because it's too malty (!) or because it uses inappropriate
> hops. We could probably define a [fairly broad] color range and a
> [fairly broad] range for %abv.

I do not necessarily agree anymore. Used to, but now I'm not so sure. If
the only real difference between "BIPA" and "AIPA" is the type of hops,
and everything else is the same... Bullshit, that's not a different
style, that's different hops.

Convince me. If it's a beefed-up pale ale that's got a fuckload of hops,
it's an IPA. Anything wrong with that? How finely do we really have to
slice this to be relevant?

mikron

Oct 31, 2000, 11:48:50 PM10/31/00
In article <0fk8vs82g623gr707...@4ax.com>, Wes
Neuenschwander <we...@eskimo.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any idea when Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale will be
> released? Or more specifically, when it's likely to become available in
> the western Washington area?
>
> Seems to me it was released last year around Halloween; also seems that
> it's released earlier each year (as are most of the other so-called Xmas
> beers). Personally, I wish they would distribute it year around. Get's
> my vote for the best IPA in the world and IPA is in season anytime, IMO.
>
> -Wes

> Wes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA, US

well, it is out in oakland. just bought some tonight.

hoppy halloween.
--
later,

mikron

please remove NOSPAM in email address to reply

Joel Plutchak

Nov 1, 2000, 9:32:28 AM11/1/00
In article <8tnkna$l6m$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <jeff...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Like a sliding scale? I can relate to the concept of a *spectrum*, on
>which BIPA extremis is at one end and some Broolz-defined AIPA is on
>the other.

>What I can't accept is the notion that a beer falls off this
>spectrum because it's too malty (!) or because it uses inappropriate
>hops. We could probably define a [fairly broad] color range and a
>[fairly broad] range for %abv.

Yeah, that's in line with what I meant.

Speaking of homebrew competitions and IPA, to the best of my
knowledge there's still only a single IPA category, which allows
for a fairly broad range in gravity, IBUs, and hop variety.
The thing is, in my experience it's nearly impossible to have
something like a modern BIPA judged fairly against the AIPA
hop-monsters homebrew judges (in this region and apparently
in your neck o' the woods) seem to expect. I've personally
stopped sending IPA to homebrew competitions, since I like
mine fairly dry (read: no Firm Malt Backbone) and even with
a Brockingtonian 160+ IBU bittering rate the GD beer judges
don't think they're bitter enough. Feck 'em, I'll drink it
all.

Nyarlathotep

Nov 1, 2000, 2:27:43 PM11/1/00
In article <svv828q...@corp.supernews.com>,

"mikron" <mik...@NOSPAM.slip.net> wrote:
> well, it is out in oakland. just bought some tonight.

It appeared on the shelves (along with the winter beers of Full
Sail & Anderson Valley) in Berkeley last night, as well. It's a fine
edition of CA.

Ken Papai

Nov 1, 2000, 4:54:44 PM11/1/00
Nyarlathotep <nyarla...@my-deja.com> writes:
> "mikron" <mik...@NOSPAM.slip.net> wrote:
>> well, it is out in oakland. just bought some tonight.

> It appeared on the shelves (along with the winter beers of Full
>Sail & Anderson Valley) in Berkeley last night, as well. It's a fine
>edition of CA.

It is here in San Francisco: Potrero Hill Safeway at
a mere $7.49 / six !!!

Y2K SNCA!!!!

I can hardly wait to get home tonight.

.B.

Nov 1, 2000, 5:30:49 PM11/1/00
In article <8tq3f4$75c$1...@samba.rahul.net>, Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> writes:

>Nyarlathotep <nyarla...@my-deja.com> writes:
>> "mikron" <mik...@NOSPAM.slip.net> wrote:
>>> well, it is out in oakland. just bought some tonight.
>
>> It appeared on the shelves (along with the winter beers of Full
>>Sail & Anderson Valley) in Berkeley last night, as well. It's a fine
>>edition of CA.
>
>It is here in San Francisco: Potrero Hill Safeway at
>a mere $7.49 / six !!!
>
>Y2K SNCA!!!!
>
>I can hardly wait to get home tonight.

Well I didn't see it here in Sacramento over the weekend. Hopefully it is in
stock now.

.B.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"As human beings, we are endowed with freedom of choice, and we cannot shuffle
off our responsibility upon the shoulders of God or nature. We must shoulder it
ourselves. It is our responsibility." - Arnold Toynbee

Nyarlathotep

Nov 1, 2000, 5:39:26 PM11/1/00
In article <8tq3f4$75c$1...@samba.rahul.net>,

Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net> wrote:
> Nyarlathotep <nyarla...@my-deja.com> writes:
> > "mikron" <mik...@NOSPAM.slip.net> wrote:
> >> well, it is out in oakland. just bought some tonight.
>
> > It appeared on the shelves (along with the winter beers of Full
> >Sail & Anderson Valley) in Berkeley last night, as well. It's a fine
> >edition of CA.
>
> It is here in San Francisco: Potrero Hill Safeway at
> a mere $7.49 / six !!!
>
> Y2K SNCA!!!!

I'll look forward to your tasting notes. BTW, unless I'm mistaken,
the Berkeley Bowl is offering CA at under seven bucks per six.

Jeff Frane

Nov 2, 2000, 11:44:46 AM11/2/00
On Wed, 01 Nov 2000 22:39:26 GMT, Nyarlathotep
<nyarla...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> I'll look forward to your tasting notes. BTW, unless I'm mistaken,
>the Berkeley Bowl is offering CA at under seven bucks per six.

"Berkeley Bowl". Boy, does that bring back memories. Best produce
store I have *ever* been in, and the one in which I cornered the owner
of the Siam Cuisine and tried to weasel recipes out of him. Portland
has a lot of great stuff, but nothing to compare to the BB.

--Jeff Frane

Nyarlathotep

Nov 2, 2000, 2:02:12 PM11/2/00
In article <3a0199b3....@news3.pcez.com>,

Yeah, and it's a great place for beer-shopping. They've got
Celebration Ale at a mere $6.49 per sixpack.

Jonathan Lundell

Nov 3, 2000, 12:26:11 AM11/3/00
wrote:

> Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:
>
> - SNCA

> - AV Hop Ottin
> - Full Sail IPA
> - Goose Island IPA
> - perhaps Anchor Liberty Ale
> - Tupper Hop Pocket
> - Victory Hop Devil
>

> (note these are considered because they are in the standard format
> 12 oz. brown bottles and available in at least a few States_

I'll amen the SNCA, AVBC Hop Ottin, & Victory HD. Goose Island & Tupper
I don't know. Anchor Liberty in a pinch.

Summit IPA (Twin Cities) is nice.

My current top pick is Speakeasy's Big Daddy. Unfortunately, they
haven't really figured out how to bottle it yet; their Prohibition Ale
is better in bottles. But on tap (try Coronado, San Francisco) it's the
best.

If Hop Devil is going to show up out here (SF Bay Area) too...what a
Christmas!

--
/Jonathan Lundell.
jlun...@resilience.com

Joel Plutchak

Nov 3, 2000, 9:40:14 AM11/3/00
Jonathan Lundell <jlun...@resilience.com> wrote:
>In article <8tk90q$283$1...@samba.rahul.net>, Ken Papai <kpa...@rahul.net>

>> Worthy contenders for best AIPAs are:

>> - SNCA
>> - AV Hop Ottin
>> - Full Sail IPA
>> - Goose Island IPA
>> - perhaps Anchor Liberty Ale
>> - Tupper Hop Pocket
>> - Victory Hop Devil

>I'll amen the SNCA, AVBC Hop Ottin, & Victory HD. Goose Island & Tupper

>I don't know. Anchor Liberty in a pinch.

Anchor, if fresh, does it. Goose IPA, while I like it (had one
last night), doesn't do it for me like Hop Devil, SNCA, etc.

>Summit IPA (Twin Cities) is nice.

Ditto that one. A nice enough beer, but not in my first tier.

Anyone for "Oregon" IPA? <ducks> <-- really bad double entendre

Wes Neuenschwander

Nov 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/5/00
On the shelf of the Seattle area stores as of 11/3.

slev...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2014, 9:31:53 AM10/22/14
On Monday, October 23, 2000 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Wes Neuenschwander wrote:
> Anyone have any idea when Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale will be released? Or more specifically, when it's likely to become available in the western Washington area?Seems to me it was released last year around Halloween; also seems that it's released earlier each year (as are most of the other so-called Xmas beers). Personally, I wish they would distribute it year around. Get's my vote for the best IPA in the world and IPA is in season anytime, IMO.-WesWes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA, US

Study your Almanac.... Since this is a Fresh Hop Ale, Sierra Nevada creates this masterpiece upon the harvest of the hops. They don't use dry pre-packaged hops for this one. They brew this with fresh harvested hops! So find out when the hops are ready, factor in the brew time and bottling processing and you will be close to arrival time. By the way, if you really like the Celebration Ale, its likely due to the fresh hops they use and maybe you should try their Harvest Ale. It is brewed with hops picked the same day, coined Wet Hop Ale! OUTSTANDING!! and somewhat hard to find or get on the East Coast...

Love Thy Beer!