Re: McDonald's French fries

Message has been deleted

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 4:12:17 AM2/23/15
On 23/02/2015 7:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
> - Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in the US:
> Potatoes
> Canola oil
> Soybean oil
> Hydrogenated soybean oil
> Natural beef flavor
> Hydrolyzed wheat
> Hydrolized milk
> Citric acid
> Dimethylpolysiloxane
> Dextrose
> Sodium acid pyrophosphate
> Salt
> Corn oil
> TBHQ
>
> - Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in Australia:
> Potatoes
> Canola oil
> Dextrose
> Mineral salt
>
> Why would they poison Americans, but not Australians?

Because they can??

I'm wondering what all those nasty looking chemicals are?

The hydrogenated soybean oil definitely looks sus!
It's all about trans fats!

The hydrolyzed wheat is MSG by another name.

The nasty one is Dimethylpolysiloxane
It is apparently a silicone! It's used as an antifoaming agent.

Dextrose is sugar by another name.

Sodium acid pyrophosphate is a leavening agent but it's used in hash
browns and fries to prevent darkening of the potato.

The corn oil is just for frying and is used because it has a high smoke
point and it's cheap.

TBHQ, tertiary butylhydroquinone is a food preservative and its E number
is E319

> <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2920731/Don-t-try-home-14-ingredients-contained-McDonald-s-FRIES-including-petrol-based-chemical-form-silicone-Silly-Putty.html>
> <http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/food-news/mcdonalds-french-fries-ingredients-revealed-20150127-12yxb3.html>

Have you ever thought that the Aussie varieties might be just the same
but our disclosure laws are different?

--

Xeno.

Jeßus

Feb 23, 2015, 5:06:02 AM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:28:23 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

>- Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in the US:
>Potatoes
>Canola oil
>Soybean oil
>Hydrogenated soybean oil
>Natural beef flavor
>Hydrolyzed wheat
>Hydrolized milk
>Citric acid
>Dimethylpolysiloxane
>Dextrose
>Sodium acid pyrophosphate
>Salt
>Corn oil
>TBHQ
>
>- Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in Australia:
>Potatoes
>Canola oil
>Dextrose
>Mineral salt
>
>Why would they poison Americans, but not Australians?

U.S lobbyists: When only the most $$$ buys the truth.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 5:21:40 AM2/23/15
On 23/02/2015 9:19 PM, Bruce wrote:
> It's also up to the customers. If I was American, I'd never buy those
> fries again after seeing that list. It looks worse than any food item
> from China.

Nah, they don't have to list that the items were washed in the sewer
water that comes from what the Chinese laughingly call rivers. Otherwise
they would have Hepatitis A on the ingredients list!

--

Xeno.
Message has been deleted

Ophelia

Feb 23, 2015, 5:44:23 AM2/23/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:05:55 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.org> wrote:
>
> It's also up to the customers. If I was American, I'd never buy those
> fries again after seeing that list. It looks worse than any food item
> from China.

I never buy that stuff anyway. I make my own from scratch, cut from real
potatoes and fried in real oil <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 6:05:45 AM2/23/15
On 23/02/2015 9:39 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 02:36:51 -0800, The Other Guy
> <Knews...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:19:09 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> It's also up to the customers. If I was American, I'd never buy those
>>> fries again after seeing that list. It looks worse than any food item
>> >from China.
>>

>> WHY would you intentionally expose your EXTREME stupidity
>> on an issue you CLEARLY know little or nothing about??
>
> Inform me then.

I'd like to be "informed" too.

One thing I do know, trans fats are nasty!

They have well and truly fallen out of favour in Australia these days.

--

Xeno.
Message has been deleted

Ophelia

Feb 23, 2015, 6:19:28 AM2/23/15

> That's the best way for sure. But if I'd get anything at McD, it would
> be coffee or fries. That always seemed relatively safe, apart from the
> time the coffee tasted like warmed up engine oil.

I bow to your superior knowledge <g> I have been to a McD's once. Never
again!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 6:25:18 AM2/23/15
On 23/02/2015 10:10 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:44:06 -0000, "Ophelia"
> <Oph...@elsinore.invalid> wrote:
>

> That's the best way for sure. But if I'd get anything at McD, it would
> be coffee or fries. That always seemed relatively safe, apart from the
> time the coffee tasted like warmed up engine oil.

When does the coffee at McD taste like anything OTHER THAN warmed up
engine oil?

Not that I've been deliberately drinking engine oil mind you.

--

Xeno.
Message has been deleted

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 6:38:55 AM2/23/15
On 23/02/2015 10:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 03:18:39 -0800, The Other Guy
> <Knews...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:39:55 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

>>> Inform me then.
>>
>> 'Google' those items. MOST are natural products,
>> and the few that sound 'unusual' are COMMON food
>> additives.
>>
>>> Potatoes
>>> Canola oil
>>> Soybean oil
>>> Hydrogenated soybean oil
>>> Natural beef flavor
>>> Hydrolyzed wheat
>>> Hydrolized milk
>>> Citric acid
>>
>> All Simple.
>>
>>> Dimethylpolysiloxane
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydimethylsiloxane
>> (INERT and non-toxic, anti-foaming agent)
>>
>>> Dextrose
>>
>> a type of sugar, the kind often used in medical applications
>>
>>> Sodium acid pyrophosphate
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_pyrophosphate
>> (inorganic buffering and chelating food additive)
>>
>>> Salt
>>> Corn oil
>>> TBHQ
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tert-Butylhydroquinone
>> (Antioxidant, and preservative for vegetable oils)
>>

>> And YES, additive laws in other places like Australia
>> ARE different, and things that are added there ARE NOT
>> necessarily disclosed, because of the MINISCULE AMOUNTS
>> used.
>
> If they have to add this many weird things to something as simple as
> fries, I don't want it. Besides, some things are only considered safe
> until they find out they're not.

Anything that is "hydrolyzed" can be considered unsafe. Hydrolyzing is a
nasty chemical process that does the food product no good. That's 3
items down.

Then you would need to ask why you have a "natural beef flavour" added
to fries. Funny, I always thought fries were meant to taste like potato.
After all, isn't that the primary ingredient?

Then you have the added sugar (dextrose). Why on earth do you need to
add sugar to fries?

Then there's the corn oil. Harmless? Hmm, I am not so sure about that.
It is cheap however, due to huge subsidies in the US, so it's use is
guaranteed. http://tinyurl.com/p4hmhlc

--

Xeno.

Julie Bove

Feb 23, 2015, 6:44:27 AM2/23/15

> Is that really so?

I doubt it but the ingredients are different. Different for Canada too.

Julie Bove

Feb 23, 2015, 6:46:11 AM2/23/15

"Xeno" <xeno...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
They are going that way here too. Banned in some areas. Like NY.

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 6:46:42 AM2/23/15
On 23/02/2015 10:34 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:18:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
> I could enjoy a cheeseburger with fries occasionally if I didn't know
> what I was eating :)

Now that you "know", when will you have your next cheeseburger? Who
knows what they put into something as seemingly complex as a
cheeseburger if this is what they add to something as innocuous as the
humble fries!

Potatoes
Canola oil
Soybean oil
Hydrogenated soybean oil
Natural beef flavor
Hydrolyzed wheat
Hydrolized milk
Citric acid
Dimethylpolysiloxane
Dextrose
Sodium acid pyrophosphate
Salt
Corn oil
TBHQ

Here I was thinking that the fries were the closest thing in McDs to
real food! You know, you cut and peel the potatoes, then cut into fries
and, well, deep fry them! How hard is that? Man, was I ever wrong!

--

Xeno.

Julie Bove

Feb 23, 2015, 6:47:46 AM2/23/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:44:06 -0000, "Ophelia"
> <Oph...@elsinore.invalid> wrote:
>

> That's the best way for sure. But if I'd get anything at McD, it would
> be coffee or fries. That always seemed relatively safe, apart from the
> time the coffee tasted like warmed up engine oil.

If I were to get something there, it would be a burger patty and apple
slices.

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 6:50:30 AM2/23/15
I'm assuming you mean a beef burger patty. I avoid them like the plague.
Not much beef in them there patties.

--

Xeno.

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 6:53:47 AM2/23/15
I don't think they have gone that far here just yet but trans fats need
to be listed in the ingredients and, as such, the people seem to be
looking at those lists a lot more in recent times. The trans fats levels
have dropped greatly.

--

Xeno.
Message has been deleted

Ophelia

Feb 23, 2015, 7:18:53 AM2/23/15

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 03:18:39 -0800, The Other Guy
> <Knews...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:39:55 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

>>>Inform me then.
>>
>>'Google' those items. MOST are natural products,
>>and the few that sound 'unusual' are COMMON food
>>additives.
>>
>>> Potatoes
>>> Canola oil
>>> Soybean oil
>>> Hydrogenated soybean oil
>>> Natural beef flavor
>>> Hydrolyzed wheat
>>> Hydrolized milk
>>> Citric acid
>>
>>All Simple.
>>
>>> Dimethylpolysiloxane
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydimethylsiloxane
>>(INERT and non-toxic, anti-foaming agent)
>>
>>> Dextrose
>>
>>a type of sugar, the kind often used in medical applications
>>
>>> Sodium acid pyrophosphate
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_pyrophosphate
>>(inorganic buffering and chelating food additive)
>>
>>> Salt
>>> Corn oil
>>> TBHQ
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tert-Butylhydroquinone
>>(Antioxidant, and preservative for vegetable oils)
>>

>>And YES, additive laws in other places like Australia
>>ARE different, and things that are added there ARE NOT
>>necessarily disclosed, because of the MINISCULE AMOUNTS
>>used.
>
> If they have to add this many weird things to something as simple as
> fries, I don't want it. Besides, some things are only considered safe
> until they find out they're not.

+1

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Feb 23, 2015, 7:18:53 AM2/23/15

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:18:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
> I could enjoy a cheeseburger with fries occasionally if I didn't know
> what I was eating :)

You are most welcome to my share!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Brooklyn1

Feb 23, 2015, 8:32:21 AM2/23/15
"Ophelia" wrote:
>"Bruce" wrote
>>Jeßus wrote:

>>>U.S lobbyists: When only the most $$$ buys the truth.
>>
>> It's also up to the customers. If I was American, I'd never buy those
>> fries again after seeing that list. It looks worse than any food item
>> from China.
>
>I never buy that stuff anyway. I make my own from scratch, cut from real
>potatoes and fried in real oil <g>

The first and last time I ate a fast food fry has to be 1963, blech.
As a kid I'd buy fries from the neighborhood kosher deli, was just
freshly peeled spuds, sliced, and deep fried right in front of you...
handed over in a small brown paper bag... add your own salt/ketchup.
There were two sizes; 5˘ & 10˘ I don't know what kind of oil but
would obviously be kosher oil. Since then I occasionly do fries at
home, only they are oven roasted; potato wedges coated with EVOO and
roasted to high brown:
http://i59.tinypic.com/30089br.jpg

Brooklyn1

Feb 23, 2015, 8:34:21 AM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:34:27 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:18:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
>I could enjoy a cheeseburger with fries occasionally if I didn't know
>what I was eating :)

You're eating 100% Pure Mystery Meat.

Brooklyn1

Feb 23, 2015, 8:43:13 AM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 08:09:41 -0400, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:19:09 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

>>>U.S lobbyists: When only the most $$$ buys the truth.
>>
>>It's also up to the customers. If I was American, I'd never buy those
>>fries again after seeing that list. It looks worse than any food item
>>from China.
>
>Might be why I am still alive, haven't been inside McDonalds for over
>20 years. I would think the fries contain all those ingredients
>because the spuds are mashed to a pulp, then all that stuff put in,
>then extruded through machines to look like fries. That's the only
>way I can think of that would render them identical to each other, I
>don't know of any spuds which come in uniforma shapes like that.

'Zactly... unless you make your own from scratch most fries nowadays
are frozen extrusions... it's rare to find a restaurant that serves
real fries... ALL those in the market freezer are frozen extrusions
too.

Brooklyn1

Feb 23, 2015, 8:47:03 AM2/23/15
Bruce wrote:

>- Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in Australia:
>Potatoes
>Emu oil
>Dextrose
>Mineral salt

WTF is "Mineral salt"... do you mean asbestos salt?

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 23, 2015, 9:06:13 AM2/23/15
On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 6:38:55 AM UTC-5, Xeno wrote:

> Then you would need to ask why you have a "natural beef flavour" added
> to fries. Funny, I always thought fries were meant to taste like potato.
> After all, isn't that the primary ingredient?

Back in the good old days, McDonald's fried in beef tallow. They
switched to vegetable oils in (IIRC) the late 1980s, and haven't
tasted as good since. This is probably an effort to make them
taste like they used to.

> Then you have the added sugar (dextrose). Why on earth do you need to
> add sugar to fries?

Probably to promote browning. They'll look better after a shorter
cooking time.

Cindy Hamilton

Janet B

Feb 23, 2015, 10:19:45 AM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:46:05 +1100, Xeno <xeno...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

The citric acid is there to prevent the cut potatoes from turning
color. Cut potatoes do turn from a nice white unless immersed in
water or treated with citric acid. Many home canners will use citric
acid or a vitamin C tablet to prevent apples and other fruit from
turning brown. When making a fruit salad it is wise to include an
acid fruit to keep the other fruit from browning.
Janet US

The Cook

Feb 23, 2015, 10:49:45 AM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:28:23 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

>- Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in the US:
>Potatoes
>Canola oil
>Soybean oil
>Hydrogenated soybean oil
>Natural beef flavor
>Hydrolyzed wheat
>Hydrolized milk
>Citric acid
>Dimethylpolysiloxane
>Dextrose
>Sodium acid pyrophosphate
>Salt
>Corn oil
>TBHQ
>
>- Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in Australia:
>Potatoes
>Canola oil
>Dextrose
>Mineral salt
>
>Why would they poison Americans, but not Australians?
>
><http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2920731/Don-t-try-home-14-ingredients-contained-McDonald-s-FRIES-including-petrol-based-chemical-form-silicone-Silly-Putty.html>
><http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/food-news/mcdonalds-french-fries-ingredients-revealed-20150127-12yxb3.html>

There doesn't seem to be anything in them that will kill you or even
make you sick if you only eat the fries once or twice a year. If you
are planning to eat them every day you will have more problems than
the ingredients in the cooking oil.

I assume that you check all of the ingredients in everything and make
sure that you never touch anything that may not be good for you. That
means that you cook all of your meals and all of them are from "real "
ingredients. If so, good for you. How about telling us about all of
the "real" meals you make and the ingredients you use. That would be
more helpful than a rant about McDonald's.

I have eaten McDonald's hamburgers and fries since 1960 and am still
alive. I do not eat out on a regular basis but every so often a Big
Mac, Fries and a chocolate shake taste good. I have never been sick
from a meal from any of the fast food restaurants. They may be
cleaner than the local mom and pop place.

--
Susan N.

graham

Feb 23, 2015, 11:01:08 AM2/23/15
On 23/02/2015 5:09 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:19:09 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

>>> U.S lobbyists: When only the most $$$ buys the truth.
>>
>> It's also up to the customers. If I was American, I'd never buy those
>> fries again after seeing that list. It looks worse than any food item
>>from China.
>
> Might be why I am still alive, haven't been inside McDonalds for over
> 20 years. I would think the fries contain all those ingredients
> because the spuds are mashed to a pulp, then all that stuff put in,
> then extruded through machines to look like fries. That's the only
> way I can think of that would render them identical to each other, I
> don't know of any spuds which come in uniforma shapes like that.

Last week, the Food Factory program showed taters being turned into real
chips for McDo. There was a sorting system that kept them fairly uniform.
Graham

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 23, 2015, 11:04:10 AM2/23/15
"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

>'Zactly... unless you make your own from scratch most fries nowadays
>are frozen extrusions... it's rare to find a restaurant that serves
>real fries... ALL those in the market freezer are frozen extrusions
>too.

That's just plain false. Some supermarket fries are extruded, some are not.
Employing a small selection of one's grey matter cells for the purpose of
inspecting the package will readily reveal which it is.

MartyB

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 11:57:04 AM2/23/15
<Knews...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And YES, additive laws in other places like Australia
> ARE different, and things that are added there ARE NOT
> necessarily disclosed, because of the MINISCULE AMOUNTS
> used.

Now that animal fat is out of the doghouse, McDonalds should go back
to frying french fries in beef fat and stop trying to replicate the
flavor.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 11:59:32 AM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:28:42 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

> If they have to add this many weird things to something as simple as
> fries, I don't want it. Besides, some things are only considered safe
> until they find out they're not.

Fess up. You don't really eat at McDonald's, do you? The usual drill
is those with the loudest mouths haven't eaten whatever is in question
in decades (or ever), so it's just noise.

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 12:07:16 PM2/23/15

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm372915.htm

> Then you would need to ask why you have a "natural beef flavour" added
> to fries. Funny, I always thought fries were meant to taste like potato.
> After all, isn't that the primary ingredient?

You don't know much about the history of McDonald's fries do you?
Maybe you should find out before making statements like that.

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 12:08:33 PM2/23/15
Some things need to be spelled out.

Travis McGee

Feb 23, 2015, 12:12:11 PM2/23/15
I think they had a problem a number of years ago with a vegetarian group
that sued them because the use of beef fat was not adequately disclosed.

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 12:16:43 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:10:08 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

> That's the best way for sure. But if I'd get anything at McD, it would
> be coffee or fries. That always seemed relatively safe, apart from the
> time the coffee tasted like warmed up engine oil.

McDonald's serves terrific coffee around here. It rivals 3rd wave
coffee houses.

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 12:27:19 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:34:27 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

> I could enjoy a cheeseburger with fries occasionally if I didn't know
> what I was eating :)

I was hooked on their $1 Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger for a while (buy
two, throw out half of each bun and put them together for a real
burger) - now their jalapeno cheddar. Love the crunch of those
deep-fried crispy jalapeños. It has just enough zing to make it
unlike any of their other burgers and very enjoyable to eat. Their
fries may be loaded with unpronounceable cr*p, but they blow In N Out
and Five Guys fries completely out of the water.

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 12:30:24 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:24:43 +1100, Xeno <xeno...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> When does the coffee at McD taste like anything OTHER THAN warmed up
> engine oil?
>
> Not that I've been deliberately drinking engine oil mind you.

You need to have a chat with the head of your McDonald's Australian
division. It's obvious that Australians in general like that kind of
coffee or else they wouldn't be selling it.

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 12:31:16 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:36:56 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

> In my experience it was 2 times good, 1 time meh and 1 time horrible.

And you can generalize so well from only twice... 10 years ago.

col...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2015, 12:31:33 PM2/23/15
On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 3:28:29 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> - Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in the US:
> Potatoes
> Canola oil
> Soybean oil
> Hydrogenated soybean oil
> Natural beef flavor
> Hydrolyzed wheat
> Hydrolized milk
> Citric acid
> Dimethylpolysiloxane
> Dextrose
> Sodium acid pyrophosphate
> Salt
> Corn oil
> TBHQ
>
> - Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in Australia:
> Potatoes
> Canola oil
> Dextrose
> Mineral salt
>
> Why would they poison Americans, but not Australians?
>
> <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2920731/Don-t-try-home-14-ingredients-contained-McDonald-s-FRIES-including-petrol-based-chemical-form-silicone-Silly-Putty.html>
> <http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/food-news/mcdonalds-french-fries-ingredients-revealed-20150127-12yxb3.html>
>
> --
> Bruce

I once read McDoanlds fries have more acrylamide than any food tested.

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 12:37:41 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:49:53 +1100, Xeno <xeno...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> Not much beef in them there patties.

What part of 100% ground beef are you talking about?
They aren't British bangers.

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 12:46:23 PM2/23/15
It's comical how ignorant even old folks with a certain amount of life
experience can be.

> Last week, the Food Factory program showed taters being turned into real
> chips for McDo. There was a sorting system that kept them fairly uniform.
> Graham

It's amazing what machines can do, isn't it? McDonald's also
revolutionized the potato growing industry back in the day.
Message has been deleted

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 1:25:30 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:12:08 -0500, Travis McGee <nob...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Not in my part of the world, which is vegetarian lawyer central.

The Cook

Feb 23, 2015, 1:27:05 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 09:01:06 -0700, graham <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote:

If you can buy a French fry cutter for $10 at Bed Bath & Beyond that
cuts a potato into a fixed size, you can bet that the people who
process potatoes for McDonald's have machines that can cut thousands
of potatoes a minute. They aren't doing it by hand.

I imagine that the potatoes are processed where the potatoes are
grown. It would be much cheaper to process them "at the farm", freeze
and ship them than shipping whole potatoes and having the equipment
to process them in each store.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Janet B

Feb 23, 2015, 2:22:46 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 08:09:41 -0400, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

snip
I would think the fries contain all those ingredients
>because the spuds are mashed to a pulp, then all that stuff put in,
>then extruded through machines to look like fries. That's the only
>way I can think of that would render them identical to each other, I
>don't know of any spuds which come in uniforma shapes like that.

About once a year I have a McD's fish sandwich and fries. My fries
are not uniform in shape. I really hate it when I get a bunch of
fries that were cut toward the end of the potato and the pieces are
curved, small and thin. A lot of those fries are cut right here in
this state.
There is a machine that cuts the fries by passing the potatoes through
a mesh of knives.
Janet US
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Janet B

Feb 23, 2015, 2:43:32 PM2/23/15
Take it easy on the "old folks." Some people are just born with an
old and conspiracy theory mentality. Otherwise known as "Chicken
Little Syndrome". They enjoy (figuratively) sitting on the porch in
their rockers and competing with like-minded individuals to come up
with the worst case scenarios.
Janet US

Paul M. Cook

Feb 23, 2015, 2:44:54 PM2/23/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:44:06 -0000, "Ophelia"
> <Oph...@elsinore.invalid> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message

>>> It's also up to the customers. If I was American, I'd never buy those
>>> fries again after seeing that list. It looks worse than any food item
>>> from China.
>>
>>I never buy that stuff anyway. I make my own from scratch, cut from real
>>potatoes and fried in real oil <g>
>
> That's the best way for sure. But if I'd get anything at McD, it would
> be coffee or fries. That always seemed relatively safe, apart from the
> time the coffee tasted like warmed up engine oil.

As far as I know they haven't bastardized the egg McMuffin. I still enjoy
one or two of them every now and then.

---

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 3:04:48 PM2/23/15
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 06:30:45 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
> Their fries and their coffee, sometimes. But regardless of how often I
> eat there, I still wonder why they poison Americans but not
> Australians.

Maybe your disclosure laws aren't as wonderful as you think.
Message has been deleted

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 3:07:27 PM2/23/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:43:33 -0700, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
wrote:

> Take it easy on the "old folks." Some people are just born with an
> old and conspiracy theory mentality. Otherwise known as "Chicken
> Little Syndrome". They enjoy (figuratively) sitting on the porch in
> their rockers and competing with like-minded individuals to come up
> with the worst case scenarios.
> Janet US

I'm still amazed at the stupidity of someone claiming that they're
"poisoning" Americans, but not Australians.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

sf

Feb 23, 2015, 3:18:59 PM2/23/15
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 07:05:30 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:56:46 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:28:23 +1100, Bruce wrote:
> >
> >> - Ingredients of McDonald's French fries in the US:
> >>
> >> Why would they poison Americans, but not Australians?
> >
> >These kinds of posts are to be expected from people who don't have the
> >first clue about food science or chemistry.
>
> But you also don't explain why Australians get 4 ingredients and
> Americans 14. If you can do it with 4 basic ones, why use 14?
>
> >Here's another food item that McDonalds sells a couple-few hundreds of
> >thousands of each day. And even if you're morally superior and above
> >eating at McDonalds (hrmpf!),
>
> lol avoiding McD's food is "morally superior"?
>
> >you're most likely eating this food at
> >least once a week - quite possibly nearly every day, even:
>
> >INGREDIENTS: WATER, PHENYLACETALDEHYDE, DODECA-2- ENAL, HEPTA-2-ENAL,
> >HEXADECANAL, OCTADECANAL, PENTAN-2-ONE, BUTAN-2-ONE, ACETALDEHYDE,
> >FORMALDEHYDE, BENZENE & BENZENE DERIVATIVES, ESTERS, FURANS,
> >SULFUR-CONTAINING COMPOUNDS AND TERPENES, GLUTAMIC ACID, ASPARTIC
> >ACID, VALINE, ARGININE, LEUCINE, LYSINE, SERINE, PHENYLALANINE,
> >ALANINE, ISOLEUCINE, PROLINE, TYROSINE, THREONINE, GLYCINE, HISTIDINE,
> >METHIONINE, CYSTINE, TRYPTOPHAN, OCTADECENOIC ACID, HEXADECANOIC ACID,
> >OCTADECANOIC ACID, EICOSATETRAENOIC ACID, EICOSANOIC ACID, DOCOSANOIC
> >ACID, TETRACOSANOIC ACID, OCTANOIC ID, DECANOIC ACID, DODECANOIC ACID,
> >TETRADECANOIC ACID, PENTADECANOIC ACID, HEPTADECANOIC ACID,
> >TETRADECENOIC ACID, HEXADECENOIC ACID, EICOSENOIC ACID, DOCOSENOIC
> >ACID, OCTADECADIENOIC ACID , OCTADECATRIENOIC ACID, EICOSAPENTAENOIC
> >ACID, DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID, GLUCOSE, SUCROSE, FRUCTOSE, LACTOSE,
> >MALTOSE, GALACTOSE, COLOUR (E160c, E160a), E306, E101.
> >
> >That's totally disgusting!!!! Who in their right mind would eat
> >that?!?!?
> >
> >Guess what it is.
>
> American drinking water?

Or this one

INGREDIENTS: WATER (75.8%), AMINO ACIDS (12.6%) (GLUTAMIC ACID
(14%), ASPARTIC ACID (11%), VALINE (9%), ARGININE (8%), LEUCINE
(8%), LYSINE (7%), SERINE (7%), PHENYLALANINE (6%), ALANINE (5%),
ISOLEUCINE (5%), PROLINE (4%), TYROSINE (3%), THREONINE (3%),
GLYCINE (3%), HISTIDINE (2%), METHIONINE (3%), CYSTINE (2%),
TRYPTOPHAN (1%)); FATTY ACIDS (9.9%) (OCTADECENOIC ACID (45%),
HEXADECANOIC ACID (32%), OCTADECANOIC ACID (12%),
EICOSATETRAENOIC ACID (3%), EICOSANOIC ACID (2%), DOCOSANOIC
ACID (1%), TETRACOSANOIC ACID (1%), OCTANOIC ACID (<1%),
DECANOIC ACID (<1%), DODECANOIC ACID (<1%), TETRADECANOIC
ACID (<1%), PENTADECANOIC ACID (<1%), HEPTADECANOIC ACID (<1%),
TETRADECENOIC ACID (<1%), HEXADECENOIC ACID (<1%),
EICOSENOIC ACID (<1%), DOCOSENOIC ACID (<1%), OMEGA-6 FATTY
ACID: OCTADECADIENOIC ACID (12%), OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID:
OCTADECATRIENOIC ACID (<1%), EICOSAPENTAENOIC ACID (EPA)
(<1%), OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID: DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID (DHA) (<1%));
SUGARS (0.8%) (GLUCOSE (30%), SUCROSE (15%), FRUCTOSE (15%),
LACTOSE (15%), MALTOSE (15%), GALACTOSE (15%)); COLOR (E160c,
E160a), E306, E101; FLAVOURS (PHENYLACETALDEHYDE, DODECA-2-
ENAL, HEPTA-2-ENAL, HEXADECANAL, OCTADECANAL, PENTAN-2-ONE,
BUTAN-2-ONE, ACETALDEHYDE, FORMALDEHYDE, ACETONE); SHELL
(E170), ALSO CONTAINS BENZENE & BENZENE DERIVATIVES, ESTERS,
FURANS, SULFUR-CONTAINING COMPOUNDS AND TERPENES
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Paul M. Cook

Feb 23, 2015, 3:38:05 PM2/23/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:10:08 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
>
>> That's the best way for sure. But if I'd get anything at McD, it would
>> be coffee or fries. That always seemed relatively safe, apart from the
>> time the coffee tasted like warmed up engine oil.
>
> McDonald's serves terrific coffee around here. It rivals 3rd wave
> coffee houses.

I've yet to have ti when it didn;t look like squid ink and taste like
asphalt.

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 4:13:37 PM2/23/15
On 24/02/2015 4:08 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 06:06:04 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, February 23, 2015 at 6:38:55 AM UTC-5, Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> Then you would need to ask why you have a "natural beef flavour" added
>>> to fries. Funny, I always thought fries were meant to taste like potato.
>>> After all, isn't that the primary ingredient?
>>
>> Back in the good old days, McDonald's fried in beef tallow. They
>> switched to vegetable oils in (IIRC) the late 1980s, and haven't
>> tasted as good since. This is probably an effort to make them
>> taste like they used to.
>>
>>> Then you have the added sugar (dextrose). Why on earth do you need to
>>> add sugar to fries?
>>
>> Probably to promote browning. They'll look better after a shorter
>> cooking time.
>>
> Some things need to be spelled out.

But one of the additives is to prevent or reduce browning... ??

--

Xeno.

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 4:14:30 PM2/23/15
On 24/02/2015 4:16 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:10:08 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
>
>> That's the best way for sure. But if I'd get anything at McD, it would
>> be coffee or fries. That always seemed relatively safe, apart from the
>> time the coffee tasted like warmed up engine oil.
>
> McDonald's serves terrific coffee around here. It rivals 3rd wave
> coffee houses.

If it's a McCafe, that could be true. Their ordinary brewed stuff is
dreadful.

--

Xeno.
Message has been deleted

Nancy2

Feb 23, 2015, 4:56:24 PM2/23/15
Beef flavor, Bruce, probably to pacify those discriminating diners (term used sarcastically) who are still
pissed because McD's stopped using animal fat for frying.

N.

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 4:57:55 PM2/23/15
That was what I was thinking... ;-)

--

Xeno.

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 5:02:47 PM2/23/15
On 24/02/2015 4:30 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:24:43 +1100, Xeno <xeno...@optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> When does the coffee at McD taste like anything OTHER THAN warmed up
>> engine oil?
>>
>> Not that I've been deliberately drinking engine oil mind you.
>
> You need to have a chat with the head of your McDonald's Australian
> division. It's obvious that Australians in general like that kind of
> coffee or else they wouldn't be selling it.

Well, most McD places are getting a "McCafe" now where you can get a
variety of different coffees. Not so bad now but the brewed stuff is
still dreadful. For my coffee I tend to use a nice little Italian owned
cafe. They make excellent coffee.
Anyway, the fact that McD is setting up the McCafe in most places is
indicative of their catering to our tastes in coffee.

--

Xeno.

Dave Smith

Feb 23, 2015, 5:04:26 PM2/23/15
On 2015-02-23 15:08, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>> And you can generalize so well from only twice... 10 years ago.
>

> Well it's twenty odd for me and I can still close my eyes and taste
> the bloody awful stuff. I took my two eldest grandchildren to
> Disneyworld (big plastic mistake right there) and gave in to brekkie
> at McDogs figuring all I wanted was coffee anyway. It was
> undrinkable - urgggh pukey pukey. Occasionally I go past a McDogs to
> get to the drugstore and if it's summer and my window is open, puke
> again, just the smell reminds me of the taste.

Over the past few years a number of people told me that McD's coffee is
pretty good now. I tried it one day last fall. It was better than it
used to be. It was not great.

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 5:04:50 PM2/23/15
On 24/02/2015 4:37 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:49:53 +1100, Xeno <xeno...@optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Not much beef in them there patties.
>
> What part of 100% ground beef are you talking about?
> They aren't British bangers.

Not the ones we get here. They run to the minimum of, from memory, 30%
beef. They were caught out a few years back putting less than that in
their patties.

--

Xeno.

Xeno

Feb 23, 2015, 5:05:58 PM2/23/15
On 24/02/2015 6:44 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:44:06 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> <Oph...@elsinore.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>> "Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I never buy that stuff anyway. I make my own from scratch, cut from real
>>> potatoes and fried in real oil <g>
>>
>> That's the best way for sure. But if I'd get anything at McD, it would
>> be coffee or fries. That always seemed relatively safe, apart from the
>> time the coffee tasted like warmed up engine oil.
>

> As far as I know they haven't bastardized the egg McMuffin. I still enjoy
> one or two of them every now and then.

The egg McMuffins aren't all that bad.

--

Xeno.
Message has been deleted

Jeßus

Feb 23, 2015, 5:12:45 PM2/23/15
It is. But the average person is too lazy to check and generally
doesn't care anyway since they assume if they can buy it then it must
be okay, as Govco would never allow anything unhealthy.

>If I was American, I'd never buy those
>fries again after seeing that list. It looks worse than any food item
>from China.

It's a wonder they haven't managed to get some sort of corn byproduct
in the fries...

Jeßus

Feb 23, 2015, 5:17:53 PM2/23/15
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 07:18:59 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
>Maybe there's the explanation. You look at that ingredient list and
>you think "yummie". I look at it and I think "I wouldn't feed that to
>my cats". That's why you get 14 ingredients and I get 4.

You're criticising Mcd's... ergo - you're criticising america (her
logic). That's the problem she has with you right now.

Jeßus

Feb 23, 2015, 5:21:23 PM2/23/15
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 08:40:05 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 15:30:37 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>wrote:
>>What additive is that? More likely it's too prevent the potato starch
>>from oxidizing and turning grey/black - as happens with fresh cut
>>potatoes. French fries should be brown and crispy. Pale French fries
>>are not very appealing. Which is why they're glazed with a small
>>amount of sugar.
>
>lol

Wow. I never realised how apparently awful the chips are that I get
when buying fish and chips all these years (nothing more than spuds
peeled, cut and fried in vegetable oil). I better start going to McD's
I guess.

Janet B

Feb 23, 2015, 5:24:52 PM2/23/15
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 08:13:22 +1100, Xeno wrote:

snip

>> But one of the additives is to prevent or reduce browning... ??
>
>What additive is that? More likely it's too prevent the potato starch
>from oxidizing and turning grey/black - as happens with fresh cut
>potatoes. French fries should be brown and crispy. Pale French fries
>are not very appealing. Which is why they're glazed with a small
>amount of sugar.
>
>-sw
Citric acid is added to keep the raw potatoes from turning gray/purple
before cooking. You can achieve the same thing at home when making
potato pancakes or hash browns by crushing a vitamin C tablet in water
and placing potatoes in the water.
Janet US

Janet B

Feb 23, 2015, 5:29:54 PM2/23/15
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:04:34 +1100, Xeno <xeno...@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:
30% sounds more like a fat to lean ratio. A 70% burger is quite
common and considered (here) that it gives the best flavor.
Janet US

Jeßus

Feb 23, 2015, 5:30:25 PM2/23/15
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 07:22:21 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:14:13 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 07:05:30 +1100, Bruce wrote:

>>> American drinking water?
>>
>>Oh, so this is just another one of those America-bashing troll
>>threads. Now I remember why I had you killfiled.
>
>Showing off your killfile again? Do you know how pathetic that is?
>
>And I was not bashing Americans, although some of you absolutely
>insist on interpreting it that way. Us vs them syndrome, right SF?

Always been that way. It's weird.

Janet B

Feb 23, 2015, 5:34:48 PM2/23/15
On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 09:17:44 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 07:18:59 +1100, Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 12:07:23 -0800, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

snip

>>>I'm still amazed at the stupidity of someone claiming that they're
>>>"poisoning" Americans, but not Australians.
>>
>>Maybe there's the explanation. You look at that ingredient list and
>>you think "yummie". I look at it and I think "I wouldn't feed that to
>>my cats". That's why you get 14 ingredients and I get 4.
>
>You're criticising Mcd's... ergo - you're criticising america (her
>logic). That's the problem she has with you right now.

No, I think what she is saying is that it is naive to believe that
McD's and fast food in general in Australia is any different than the
US. It is quite possible that Australian disclosure laws are more lax
about percentages of ingredients and therefore the extras noted in the
US burger do not show up in Australia.
Janet US
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted