OT Horrendously OT and geeky USB drive question

Opinicus

Apr 23, 2015, 2:26:01 PM4/23/15
Horrendously OT and geeky USB drive question:

I have a couple of portable 1 TB USB drives that I use for long-term
data storage that are beginning to fill up. (They've passed the
half-way mark.) I've got my eye on some 5 TB alternatives to replace
them. However while the 1 TB units draw their current off the USB
port, all the 5 TB units I'm looking at require an external power
supply. Devices that require external power supplies are by definition
non-portable. Is the problem that a 5 TB USB drive that draws its
current off the USB port is technically impossible or is it just that
no one's got round to making one yet and therefore I should wait a
while?

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com

Malcom Mal Reynolds

Apr 23, 2015, 2:46:09 PM4/23/15
In article <usdija9t8lpm2fa4e...@4ax.com>,
why is something that requires an external power supply defined as
non-portable?

in any event, I'd assume that if you are going to get such a unit, fire
wire or thunderbolt would be a better choice. OTOH, why not just get a
bunch of 1TB drives, seems like they'd be more secure

sf

Apr 23, 2015, 2:50:41 PM4/23/15
Why aren't you considering an external hard drive with the same
capacity? They're bulky, but perfectly portable.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J0O5R2I?sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1

--

sf
Message has been deleted

Moe DeLoughan

Apr 23, 2015, 3:02:45 PM4/23/15
The 5TB drives are still fairly new, so the portable versions haven't
hit the market yet. Here's a portable 4TB drive:

Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0
STDA4000100
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-STDA4000100/dp/B00HXAV0X6/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1429815638&sr=1-14&keywords=portable+hard+drive

Michel Boucher

Apr 23, 2015, 3:12:46 PM4/23/15
The Other Guy <Knews...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Since you mention 5TB, and I'm pretty sure there is no
> such thing in the Flash line, I'm guessing you're talking
> about external HDs.
>
> So yes, larger units will require higher power than most
> current USB ports can provide, but if you get a USB hub,
> the better ones have power to the hub that can drive more
> power hungry devices.

I just bought a USB hub the other day to extend my three connection
unit. The hub has five connections, four for data and one for
recharging. It requires a connection to a power bar or outlet to
allow all those connections to work efficiently.

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --

John Kuthe

Apr 23, 2015, 3:13:41 PM4/23/15
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:25:55 +0300, Opinicus
<gez...@kanyak.com.which.is.not.invalid> wrote:

The confusion is over the difference betweeen a "drive" and a "memory
stick". A drive has a spinning magnetic disc inside on which the data
is stored magnetically. A memory stick is a solid state (no motor no
magnetic disc) flash memory, which is a solid state transistor type
device, designed to write one/read many times. Basically.

It's hell being a computer engineer and having to explain this stuff
all the time to an ignorant puiblic! But it's OK, that's what I am
here for!

John Kuthe...

---

Paul M. Cook

Apr 23, 2015, 3:17:35 PM4/23/15

"Malcom Mal Reynolds" <atlas-...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
Sounds to me like somebody needs their own cloud server.

Michel Boucher

Apr 23, 2015, 3:20:55 PM4/23/15
Moe DeLoughan <m...@notmine.null> wrote in

> The 5TB drives are still fairly new, so the portable versions
> haven't hit the market yet.

Funny thing. Some years ago, I purchased a Seagate 1TB external
and it has been connected to my computer for quite a few years. I
just recently noticed that it is in fact a 2TB hard drive. The box
said it was a 1TB hard drive so I saw no need to check it.

Michel Boucher

Apr 23, 2015, 3:22:55 PM4/23/15
John Kuthe <John...@gmail.com> wrote in

> It's hell being a computer engineer and having to explain this
> stuff all the time to an ignorant puiblic! But it's OK, that's
> what I am here for!

It drove me crazy at work when my colleagues would talk about
"memory" when they meant "disk space".

W. Lohman

Apr 23, 2015, 4:32:25 PM4/23/15
On 4/23/2015 12:52 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:25:55 +0300, Opinicus
> <gez...@kanyak.com.which.is.not.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Horrendously OT and geeky USB drive question:
>>
>> I have a couple of portable 1 TB USB drives that I use for long-term
>> data storage that are beginning to fill up. (They've passed the
>> half-way mark.)
>
> Since you mention 5TB, and I'm pretty sure there is no
> such thing in the Flash line, I'm guessing you're talking
> about external HDs.
>

> So yes, larger units will require higher power than most
> current USB ports can provide, but if you get a USB hub,
> the better ones have power to the hub that can drive more
> power hungry devices.

The answer generally is a double USB cord, one that has two connectors
that is.

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 4:33:44 PM4/23/15
If you're the tech guy, an important part of the job is translating what is being said into what is meant. Some people are very good at that and some people just suck at it.

Michel Boucher

Apr 23, 2015, 4:40:39 PM4/23/15
dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> If you're the tech guy, an important part of the job is
> translating what is being said into what is meant. Some people
> are very good at that and some people just suck at it.

Actually, that's a fairly common trait of good communicators,
not just tech guys.

meda...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2015, 4:46:18 PM4/23/15
Now I've tried to be nice to you since you have a debilitating mental illness, but if you're going to be an ass about things...You shouldn't make fun of people when your knowledge is so out of date. Yes, WORM drives/memory are still around. But most Thumb Drives are WMRM. Also, in the era of Virtual Machines, Solid State Drives and Storage Area Networks, the distinction among Memory/"Disk" Storage/Aux Storage is largely determined by use - not the technology implemented. My current computer has "Drives", but they're all solid state. They are memory that is used as drives by the OS. They are not USB, and are assumed to always be available. Memory or "drives" attached by USB are considered transient, but not necessarily WORM. The servers I work on are all VM and have no real drives. They are connected to a SAN that has a combination of solid state, fast disk and slow disk. The SAN determines where the data goes. You are no more a Computer Engineer than I am a High School Senior. Was once - a long time ago. Besides, you just worked a Help Desk. Poorly. Has your RN License lapsed yet? If so, you're not a nurse either. If not, how DID you manage that and will I be able to look it up? Your work history is so spotty and I can't imagine you're keeping up with your Cont. Ed. requirement.

Be a lot less snotty on here.

Jeßus

Apr 23, 2015, 5:09:58 PM4/23/15
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:25:55 +0300, Opinicus
<gez...@kanyak.com.which.is.not.invalid> wrote:

I'm assuming you're talking about the smaller laptop type of 2.5" USB
hard drives? They can be powered via USB but standard 3.5" HDDs cannot
be and require their own power supply.

I *think* the largest 2.5" HDD available at the moment is only 3TB...
so these 5TB drives you're looking at are 3.5" drives... I guess
you'll just have to choose between convenience and size...

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 5:12:43 PM4/23/15
On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 10:40:39 AM UTC-10, Michel Boucher wrote:
> dsi1
That's a good point. :-)

Dave Smith

Apr 23, 2015, 5:22:10 PM4/23/15
On 2015-04-23 4:40 PM, Michel Boucher wrote:
> dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> If you're the tech guy, an important part of the job is
>> translating what is being said into what is meant. Some people
>> are very good at that and some people just suck at it.
>
> Actually, that's a fairly common trait of good communicators,
> not just tech guys.

??? It is common for good communicators to have explain things?

Atticus Finch

Apr 23, 2015, 5:32:03 PM4/23/15
Barbie the Bobblehead strikes again!

That *is* a USB drive. Most external drives are USB (and/or
Firewire).

-sw
Message has been deleted

W. Lohman

Apr 23, 2015, 5:41:36 PM4/23/15
Ever consider teachers?

W. Lohman

Apr 23, 2015, 5:47:23 PM4/23/15
The little dumpling is off his oats again...

> That *is* a USB drive.

WITH a power brick, dolt.

The USB cable is just for data transfer, not power.

> Most external drives are USB (and/or
> Firewire).
>
> -sw

Well no duh!

W. Lohman

Apr 23, 2015, 5:48:02 PM4/23/15
On 4/23/2015 3:38 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'd pit you against dsi1 any
> day!
>
> -sw

I'd like to see you and Marty have a go at each other again.

sf

Apr 23, 2015, 8:29:16 PM4/23/15
His mommy needs to wipe the drool from his second chin.

--

sf

John Kuthe

Apr 23, 2015, 9:07:29 PM4/23/15
Um, no, I've worked in computers as a help desk analyst/problem socver
(level I and II), email administrator, and on a "small server" team
(Windows PC type servers) adminstrating for a 13,000 seat military
contractor corporation performing such tasks as securtity rep. for my
team, software engineer and author, developing automated admin tools
and a whole host of other computer admin tasks for my team. I went to
engineering school and acheved two bachelor's degrees (CS and EE)
which at the time my school called "computer engineering". I learned
how computers work, inside. All the parts and circuitry. Inside a
computer, and most importantly inside YOUR computer.

Then most recently I achieved a Bachelor's degree in nursing, and then
passed the NCLEX-RN exam in Missouri, making me a BSN-RN which I am
now. I've worked on a neurosurgery floor in the biggest hospital here
in STL, "big Barnes" as they call it, then did private in-home nursing
for both geriatric and pediatric clients.

Yes, you can look up my nursing license right here:

www.nursys.com

JRStern

Apr 23, 2015, 9:41:25 PM4/23/15
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:25:55 +0300, Opinicus
<gez...@kanyak.com.which.is.not.invalid> wrote:

These are USB3, I assume?

Treat yourself, get a bunch of 64gb or larger flash drives and use
those instead of the rotating 5gb drives. They'll back up about 10x
faster. And over the next year or so should get even bigger and
faster. Very portable.

J.

John Kuthe

Apr 23, 2015, 10:24:30 PM4/23/15
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:33:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
I know, I was kind of being facetious. I'm actually quite good and
educating non-computer people about computers and simplifying them so
anyone can understand them. Without all the technical jargon, which
makes computer people feel special and elitest! I actually hate THAT!!

I understand all that so the average joe doen't have to!

John Kuthe

Apr 23, 2015, 10:25:15 PM4/23/15
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:40:36 -0500, Michel Boucher
<alsa...@g.mail.com> wrote:

>dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> If you're the tech guy, an important part of the job is
>> translating what is being said into what is meant. Some people
>> are very good at that and some people just suck at it.
>
>Actually, that's a fairly common trait of good communicators,
>not just tech guys.

Yep, I can do it with medical stuff now too!

dsi1

Apr 23, 2015, 10:27:27 PM4/23/15
A good teacher makes difficult material, simple. A bad teacher makes the
simple, incomprehensible. :-)

John Kuthe

Apr 23, 2015, 10:28:19 PM4/23/15
Exactly. A part of my joib now as a nurse is as an educator.

I'm a multidegreed multitalented motherfucker, when you think about
it!! And I make pretty good candy too! And the world's best Chocolate
Covered Cherries! :-)

I can roll a kayak too! Damn I'm good! :-)

John Kuthe

Apr 23, 2015, 10:40:59 PM4/23/15
Precisely, and I'm a good teacher!
Message has been deleted

John Kuthe

Apr 23, 2015, 10:53:41 PM4/23/15
They can be used for some power, not a lot.
Message has been deleted

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 12:14:14 AM4/24/15
And powder those adorable little puffed cheeks.

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 12:24:41 AM4/24/15
Elegantly stated, I suspect we've both had each in our lives.

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 12:26:22 AM4/24/15
On 4/23/2015 8:28 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:41:21 -0600, "W. Lohman" <wl...@yaho.om> wrote:

>>> ??? It is common for good communicators to have explain things?
>>
>> Ever consider teachers?
>
> Exactly. A part of my joib now as a nurse is as an educator.

Fair enough.

> I'm a multidegreed multitalented motherfucker, when you think about
> it!! And I make pretty good candy too! And the world's best Chocolate
> Covered Cherries! :-)
>
> I can roll a kayak too! Damn I'm good! :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Embarrassed to admit I could never master the Eskimo roll. Being
inverted confuses me.

%-)

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 12:28:52 AM4/24/15
On 4/23/2015 8:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:29:09 -0700, sf wrote:

>>> The little dumpling is off his oats again...

>>> WITH a power brick, dolt.
>
> Yeah - exactly what the OP is trying to avoid. Dolt.

Let it all out Shu Mai, feel the burn!

> It's kinda sick watching you play Barbara like this. But she seems to
> enjoy somebody to talk to so all the more power to you. You, OTOH,
> should be ashamed of taking advantage of her.

A for effort, fail for incite though.

>>> The USB cable is just for data transfer, not power.

>>> Well no duh!
>>
>> His mommy needs to wipe the drool from his second chin.
>
> <yawn>
>
> -sw

Drool on, little dumpling.

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 12:29:48 AM4/24/15
I think on the larger drives that's not the case.

A smaller one yes, hence the dual connector USB cables.

Malcom Mal Reynolds

Apr 24, 2015, 1:07:19 AM4/24/15
In article <mhbgef$42q$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote:

> "Malcom Mal Reynolds" <atlas-...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > In article <usdija9t8lpm2fa4e...@4ax.com>,
> > Opinicus <gez...@kanyak.com.which.is.not.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> Horrendously OT and geeky USB drive question:
> >>
> >> I have a couple of portable 1 TB USB drives that I use for long-term
> >> data storage that are beginning to fill up. (They've passed the
> >> half-way mark.) I've got my eye on some 5 TB alternatives to replace
> >> them. However while the 1 TB units draw their current off the USB
> >> port, all the 5 TB units I'm looking at require an external power
> >> supply. Devices that require external power supplies are by definition
> >> non-portable. Is the problem that a 5 TB USB drive that draws its
> >> current off the USB port is technically impossible or is it just that
> >> no one's got round to making one yet and therefore I should wait a
> >> while?
> >
> > why is something that requires an external power supply defined as
> > non-portable?
> >
> > in any event, I'd assume that if you are going to get such a unit, fire
> > wire or thunderbolt would be a better choice. OTOH, why not just get a
> > bunch of 1TB drives, seems like they'd be more secure
>
> Sounds to me like somebody needs their own cloud server.
>

> ---

yeh, like the one that just went out of business and took all the files

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 1:13:08 AM4/24/15
On 4/23/2015 11:07 PM, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:
>> Sounds to me like somebody needs their own cloud server.
>> >

>> >---
> yeh, like the one that just went out of business and took all the files

Hillary.mail is being remotely hosted by GE.com.

sf

Apr 24, 2015, 2:58:09 AM4/24/15
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 22:28:38 -0600, "W. Lohman" <wl...@yaho.om> wrote:

> > It's kinda sick watching you play Barbara like this. But she seems to
> > enjoy somebody to talk to so all the more power to you. You, OTOH,
> > should be ashamed of taking advantage of her.
>
> A for effort, fail for incite though.

My goodness! Will he stamp his feet and threaten to hold his breath
until he turns blue next?

--

sf

John Kuthe

Apr 24, 2015, 8:27:05 AM4/24/15
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 22:26:07 -0600, "W. Lohman" <wl...@yaho.om> wrote:

>On 4/23/2015 8:28 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:41:21 -0600, "W. Lohman" <wl...@yaho.om> wrote:
>> I can roll a kayak too! Damn I'm good! :-)
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>
>Embarrassed to admit I could never master the Eskimo roll. Being
>inverted confuses me.
>
>%-)

I've let my certificatiion lapse, but back in 1997 I think I became a
ACA certified whitewater kayaking instructor, and I've taught a LOT of
beginners to roll. One secret to a succcessful roll I've found is very
simple: Head Down, Boat Up. yes, being upside down in a kayak is very
disorienting and confusing. I understool this when I first took
l my first kayaking class in a nice warm indoor pool in 1994. And the
very first lesson I got was to do the Wet Exit, or how to get out of
your kayak upsaide down. As my instructor worked with me in the pool
and I was about to do my first wet exit, I told my instructor that I
was going to flip, but I was not going to come out oif my boat right
away, so I flipped and I calmly held my breath, opened my eyes
underwater and looked around, familiarizing myself with this new
strange environment I'm sure I was gonna end up in a lot in my
kayaking career!! And then I wet exited when *I* was ready! :-)

But back to the roll, Yes, Head down/Boat Up. Head Up/Boat Down works
too, but that's how we ended up upside down in the first place, and
that's not what we want! You gotta keep your head down to get the boat
back UP! Heck, if you have a good enough Head Down/Boat Up you don't
even need the paddle!! (It's called a Hands Roll!)

John Kuthe

Apr 24, 2015, 8:30:53 AM4/24/15
On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:27:00 -0500, John Kuthe <John...@gmail.com>
And don't feel embarassed. The roll is a damn tricky thing to master!!

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 10:50:53 AM4/24/15
It's all in play now, if he lived closer your home would have been TPd
already.

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 10:55:37 AM4/24/15
I've seen pros do that.

I had difficulty placing the paddle on the right side and coordinating
the flip, every damned time.

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 10:56:27 AM4/24/15
I don't.

Just frustrated.

But my answer was simple - just stay upright.

John Kuthe

Apr 24, 2015, 11:15:51 AM4/24/15
That's the best! Severely limits your play-ability thought!

Paul M. Cook

Apr 24, 2015, 1:46:59 PM4/24/15

> In article <mhbgef$42q$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom Mal Reynolds" <atlas-...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>> > why is something that requires an external power supply defined as
>> > non-portable?
>> >
>> > in any event, I'd assume that if you are going to get such a unit, fire
>> > wire or thunderbolt would be a better choice. OTOH, why not just get a
>> > bunch of 1TB drives, seems like they'd be more secure
>>
>> Sounds to me like somebody needs their own cloud server.

I wrote "their own." You can set a 5TB one up for under 600.00.

JRStern

Apr 24, 2015, 1:58:04 PM4/24/15
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:55:51 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 18:41:31 -0700, JRStern wrote:
>
>> These are USB3, I assume?
>>
>> Treat yourself, get a bunch of 64gb or larger flash drives and use
>> those instead of the rotating 5gb drives. They'll back up about 10x
>> faster. And over the next year or so should get even bigger and
>> faster. Very portable.
>
>They haven't invented any USB thumb drives that are faster than
>current mechanical hard disk drives - especially not on writes. And
>even more especially not by a factor of 10X.

Say what?

Unless the thumb drives are 1000x slower than the SSDs, they are so at
least 10x faster. Maybe maximized, optimized disk writes can come
close for short bursts, but that's it. Also, you have to realize
these external rotating drives are usually the slowest stuff around.

Now, you can put big RAM buffers on a rotating drive or controller and
try to win that way, but hey, that's cheating, and again not what you
usually find on the $300 6tb drives at Staples.

J.

ps - correction, meant "rotating 5tb drives" of course.

dsi1

Apr 24, 2015, 2:17:02 PM4/24/15
On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 6:24:41 PM UTC-10, W. Lohman wrote:
> On 4/23/2015 8:27 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On 4/23/2015 4:24 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> >> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:33:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
He, hee - those bad teachers are responsible for stealing a great part of my childhood. I had some pretty good teachers too, but not enough. These days, I won't let anybody steal my time nor will I covet or steal the time of others. ⌚⏰⌛⏳

Michel Boucher

Apr 24, 2015, 2:19:21 PM4/24/15
JRStern <JRS...@foobar.invalid> wrote in

> Unless the thumb drives are 1000x slower than the SSDs, they
> are so at least 10x faster. Maybe maximized, optimized disk
> writes can come close for short bursts, but that's it. Also,
> you have to realize these external rotating drives are usually
> the slowest stuff around.

If they are connected using eSATA, the speeds are comparable to USB
3.0.

--

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice,
you have chosen the side of the oppressor " --
Desmond Tutu

meda...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2015, 2:55:56 PM4/24/15
On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 9:07:29 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:46:15 -0700 (PDT), meda...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Now I've tried to be nice to you since you have a debilitating mental illness, but if you're going to be an ass about things...You shouldn't make fun of people when your knowledge is so out of date. Yes, WORM drives/memory are still around. But most Thumb Drives are WMRM. Also, in the era of Virtual Machines, Solid State Drives and Storage Area Networks, the distinction among Memory/"Disk" Storage/Aux Storage is largely determined by use - not the technology implemented. My current computer has "Drives", but they're all solid state. They are memory that is used as drives by the OS. They are not USB, and are assumed to always be available. Memory or "drives" attached by USB are considered transient, but not necessarily WORM. The servers I work on are all VM and have no real drives. They are connected to a SAN that has a combination of solid state, fast disk and slow disk. The SAN determines where the data goes. You are no more a Computer Engineer than I am a High School Senior. Was
> >once - a long time ago. Besides, you just worked a Help Desk. Poorly. Has your RN License lapsed yet? If so, you're not a nurse either. If not, how DID you manage that and will I be able to look it up? Your work history is so spotty and I can't imagine you're keeping up with your Cont. Ed. requirement.
> >
> >Be a lot less snotty on here.
>
> Um, no, I've worked in computers as a help desk analyst/problem socver
> (level I and II), email administrator, and on a "small server" team
> (Windows PC type servers) adminstrating for a 13,000 seat military
> contractor corporation performing such tasks as securtity rep. for my
> team, software engineer and author, developing automated admin tools
> and a whole host of other computer admin tasks for my team. I went to
> engineering school and acheved two bachelor's degrees (CS and EE)
> which at the time my school called "computer engineering". I learned
> how computers work, inside. All the parts and circuitry. Inside a
> computer, and most importantly inside YOUR computer.
>
> Then most recently I achieved a Bachelor's degree in nursing, and then
> passed the NCLEX-RN exam in Missouri, making me a BSN-RN which I am
> now. I've worked on a neurosurgery floor in the biggest hospital here
> in STL, "big Barnes" as they call it, then did private in-home nursing
> for both geriatric and pediatric clients.
>
> Yes, you can look up my nursing license right here:
>
> www.nursys.com
>
> John Kuthe...
>
> ---

You do a good job of explaining why you SHOULD know what you're talking about. Why, then, do you not know what you're talking about (as I pointed out)?

And I did check your license. To my surprise, you're in good standing. So I dug a little further and found the following. This is the kind of RN Licensure I'm used to:

Kentucky Board of Nursing

Web site: http://www.kbn.ky.gov

Phone: 502-429-3300

Renewal requirements:One of the following within the past 2 years (waived for the first renewal after licensure):

* 14 contact hours

* national, practice-related certification or recertification

* completion of nursing research project as director, principal investigator, or co-investigator

* publication of nursing-related article

* professional nursing education presentation

* 120 hours as preceptor

* 7 contact hours plus satisfactory employment evaluation for CE.

You must also complete 3 contact hours of domestic violence education within the first 3 years after licensure (one time only), and 2 contact hours of HIV/AIDS education between 11/1/2002 and 10/31/2012.

Here's what yours is:

Missouri State Board of Nursing

Web site: http://pr.mo.gov/nursing.asp

Phone: 573-751-0681

E-mail: nur...@mail.state.mo.gov

Renewal requirements: None. Renewal period is 2 years.

So congrats on being able to renew a license that requires nothing. Jesus! Remind me to never get sick in MO.

John Kuthe

Apr 24, 2015, 2:59:11 PM4/24/15
That's the website that's in my nursing kicense card in my wallet. It
says to check that website, not use the card as proof of my licesure.

Thanks for checking it for me! :-)
Message has been deleted

meda...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2015, 4:56:20 PM4/24/15
You should keep the card. The paper it's on is probably worth more than an RN License that requires nothing more than paying to have it renewed. Is there a strong nursing union in MO? I can't imagine any other explanation. Basically, you can sit on your ass for twenty years and still be licensed. Boggles the mind. And not generally true in the US.

John Kuthe

Apr 24, 2015, 5:16:53 PM4/24/15
On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:24:28 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:58:09 -0700, JRStern wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:55:51 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>> wrote:

>>>They haven't invented any USB thumb drives that are faster than
>>>current mechanical hard disk drives - especially not on writes. And
>>>even more especially not by a factor of 10X.
>>
>> Say what?
>>
>> Unless the thumb drives are 1000x slower than the SSDs,
>
>I'm not going to figure it out or look it up, but that's probably not
>too far off.
>
>> they are so at
>> least 10x faster. Maybe maximized, optimized disk writes can come
>> close for short bursts, but that's it. Also, you have to realize
>> these external rotating drives are usually the slowest stuff around.
>
>Nobody said anything about SSD's. They use a different type of flash
>memory than found in USB thumb/flash drives. We're comparing
>thumb/flash drives to mechanical disk drives. The current mechanical
>disk drives will always be faster than any current thumb/flash drives.
>The transfer rate of mechanical hard drives is exponentially higher
>than any flash drive. They may take a few milliseconds to find their
>spot, but once they do, the speed of the read/write process will blow
>any currently available flash memory out of the water.
>
>Under extremely rare and far-fetched circumstances you might be able
>to squeak by a faster performance out of a thumb drive with thousands
>of tiny files against an extremely fragmented hard drive but you would
>have to go to great lengths to set that up and it surely would not be
>any sort of typical real-world situation.
>
>I probably write about 2TB of data to USB3 32 and 64GB flash drives a
>week, so I know how painfully slow they are.
>
>-sw

Ooooh! The Computrer Geeks are geeking out one-upmanship on who has or
can name the fastedt storage media!! ROFL!!!

Glad I'm outta THAT game!

John Kuthe

Apr 24, 2015, 5:21:18 PM4/24/15
I don't fucking care. I'l a tree-hugging dirt-worshiping Hippie whose
about to (and may have already) retire!! Buy the house I'm living in
now, have a good returementr income from the rental property,
possibl;y expans that safely in my future, and I'm grooming a possible
future female gorgeous goddess like creature up in the PNW to be my
possible future life mate!!

My life is looking golden! I don't care anymore!! :-)

Nunya Bidnits

Apr 24, 2015, 5:28:32 PM4/24/15
wrote in message
Living in MO and having once been married to a nurse at one time
I can tell you your proclamations of doom are wildly
exaggerated. If a nurse hasn't been working for a long time,
good luck getting hired anywhere. If they have been working in
hospitals, they constantly get opportunities at various
certifications and those are almost always tied to more
specialized higher paying jobs. So it seems the system takes
care of itself pretty well... a nurse who never goes beyond
basic floor duty will still get training on new equipment as
needed and otherwise follows the hospitals' protocols. Where it
might get dicey is with the nurses working in doctors' offices
where the standards may be lower with less reward for additional
training.

MartyB

Message has been deleted

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 5:41:09 PM4/24/15
Nice!

Yeah a couple of bad ones can sure leave an impression.

But a single good one can arc a life.

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 5:52:08 PM4/24/15
On 4/24/2015 2:24 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I probably write about 2TB of data to USB3 32 and 64GB flash drives a
> week, so I know how painfully slow they are.
>
> -sw

Wow, that's a boatload of kiddie pron!

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 6:01:51 PM4/24/15
On 4/24/2015 3:28 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Living in MO and having once been married to a nurse at one time I can
> tell you your proclamations of doom are wildly exaggerated.

Good grief, you actually traumatized a nurse into divorcing your sorry
ass?!!?

Damn, that takes some real interpersonal 'talent'...

John Kuthe

Apr 24, 2015, 6:19:05 PM4/24/15
A MO nurse divorcerd me! Silly bitch! She married a nephrologist MD
from where she worked and moved MY son half way across the country so
she could be with HER new husband!! For his career. Yes I could have
fought it. but that would have taken "billions of dollars and cost
many innocent lives"! ;-)

dsi1

Apr 24, 2015, 6:32:20 PM4/24/15
I like your thinking! My favorite teachers were kind of strange. They
had an arrogant, aloft, way of teaching and interacting with the
students. They must have learned teaching from the John Houseman School
of Education. I have no idea how they pulled it off but we students
loved them because we learned a lot from them and we even got to see the
world through their eyes. So great was the connection.

I also had a guitar teacher that would just sit during the lesson and
listen while I played. He'd be chain-smoking Marlboros with an amused
look on his face. I don't recall him saying much of anything during my
entire time with him. Hee, hee, that was strange. :-)

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 6:45:52 PM4/24/15
On 4/24/2015 4:19 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 16:01:33 -0600, "W. Lohman" <wl...@yaho.om> wrote:
>
>> On 4/24/2015 3:28 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>> Living in MO and having once been married to a nurse at one time I can
>>> tell you your proclamations of doom are wildly exaggerated.
>>
>> Good grief, you actually traumatized a nurse into divorcing your sorry
>> ass?!!?
>>
>> Damn, that takes some real interpersonal 'talent'...
>
> A MO nurse divorcerd me! Silly bitch! She married a nephrologist MD
> from where she worked and moved MY son half way across the country so
> she could be with HER new husband!! For his career. Yes I could have
> fought it. but that would have taken "billions of dollars and cost
> many innocent lives"! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Are you telling me you're as toxic as Marty, or just didn't have an MD's
money?

W. Lohman

Apr 24, 2015, 6:47:26 PM4/24/15
"Mr. Hart, please illumine us with your insights..."

Loved that show.

> I also had a guitar teacher that would just sit during the lesson and
> listen while I played. He'd be chain-smoking Marlboros with an amused
> look on his face. I don't recall him saying much of anything during my
> entire time with him. Hee, hee, that was strange. :-)

Did you get pretty good at it?

dsi1

Apr 24, 2015, 7:01:12 PM4/24/15
Not very. I love the guitar but don't practice very much. I used to play
a lot about a decade ago because I was under a lot of stress and had a
strange heat from my belly. The Chinese woman said my chi was out of
balance so I just played and played. These days I'm pretty relaxed so my
playing sucks. That's the breaks. The important thing is the fire is gone.

JRStern

Apr 24, 2015, 7:09:51 PM4/24/15
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 10:58:09 -0700, JRStern wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:55:51 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>> wrote:

>>>They haven't invented any USB thumb drives that are faster than
>>>current mechanical hard disk drives - especially not on writes. And
>>>even more especially not by a factor of 10X.
>>
>> Say what?
>>
>> Unless the thumb drives are 1000x slower than the SSDs,
>
>I'm not going to figure it out or look it up, but that's probably not
>too far off.
>
>> they are so at
>> least 10x faster. Maybe maximized, optimized disk writes can come
>> close for short bursts, but that's it. Also, you have to realize
>> these external rotating drives are usually the slowest stuff around.
>
>Nobody said anything about SSD's. They use a different type of flash
>memory than found in USB thumb/flash drives. We're comparing
>thumb/flash drives to mechanical disk drives. The current mechanical
>disk drives will always be faster than any current thumb/flash drives.
>The transfer rate of mechanical hard drives is exponentially higher
>than any flash drive. They may take a few milliseconds to find their
>spot, but once they do, the speed of the read/write process will blow
>any currently available flash memory out of the water.
>
>Under extremely rare and far-fetched circumstances you might be able
>to squeak by a faster performance out of a thumb drive with thousands
>of tiny files against an extremely fragmented hard drive but you would
>have to go to great lengths to set that up and it surely would not be
>any sort of typical real-world situation.
>
>I probably write about 2TB of data to USB3 32 and 64GB flash drives a
>week, so I know how painfully slow they are.
>
>-sw

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-thumb-drive-review,3477-2.html

I haven't done that much, moved over a 30gb image of my old
workstation to the new workstation, took an hour or two (or ten? I
forget already) to write on a USB2 port, took five *seconds* to read
on a USB3 port (and write to an SSD). Haven't tried to write anything
that large on USB3. Yet.

J.

Message has been deleted

MaryL

Apr 24, 2015, 11:14:13 PM4/24/15
On 4/23/2015 1:25 PM, Opinicus wrote:
> Horrendously OT and geeky USB drive question:
>
> I have a couple of portable 1 TB USB drives that I use for long-term
> data storage that are beginning to fill up. (They've passed the
> half-way mark.) I've got my eye on some 5 TB alternatives to replace
> them. However while the 1 TB units draw their current off the USB
> port, all the 5 TB units I'm looking at require an external power
> supply. Devices that require external power supplies are by definition
> non-portable. Is the problem that a 5 TB USB drive that draws its
> current off the USB port is technically impossible or is it just that
> no one's got round to making one yet and therefore I should wait a
> while?

I also wanted large-capacity portable USB drives, and I ran into the
same problem because I did not want the annoyance of using an external
power supply. I settled for a Western Digital "My Passport" 3 TB
alternative from amazon.com.

MaryL

W. Lohman

Apr 25, 2015, 12:07:05 AM4/25/15
This is very interesting, you played the chi right out of your belly!

Music as a healing release.

I wonder if many rock stars aren't just super-imbalanced and must
literally rock to balance and live?

sf

Apr 25, 2015, 4:42:18 AM4/25/15
On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 08:50:36 -0600, "W. Lohman" <wl...@yaho.om> wrote:

> >> A for effort, fail for incite though.
> >
> > My goodness! Will he stamp his feet and threaten to hold his breath
> > until he turns blue next?
> >

> It's all in play now, if he lived closer your home would have been TPd
> already.

He's the tantrum type, that's for sure.

--

sf

Gary

Apr 25, 2015, 5:19:29 AM4/25/15
Sqwertz wrote:

> I probably write about 2TB of data to USB3 32 and 64GB flash drives a
> week, so I know how painfully slow they are.

That's a lot of data, Steve. Is that work related or for personal use?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

W. Lohman

Apr 25, 2015, 11:15:29 AM4/25/15
Must have been a handful to raise, no?

W. Lohman

Apr 25, 2015, 11:22:29 AM4/25/15
On 4/25/2015 7:22 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I guess you'd say it's work related. Personally I only write 1.5GB
> files maybe 15 times a week. And with those I have to sit there and
> twirl my thumbs for maybe 30 or so seconds at a time.

All of this for NAMBLA?

dsi1

Apr 25, 2015, 12:48:57 PM4/25/15
It was a warm feeling right under the diaphragm. It wasn't painful - just strange. My cure was to play and practice like I did when I was a kid. This time around I had more of a handle on what I wanted to learn. Eventually the fire in the belly went away. It took almost a year to extinguish it.

> Music as a healing release.
>
> I wonder if many rock stars aren't just super-imbalanced and must
> literally rock to balance and live?

All the stress and exhaustion do take it's toll. After a while you just hate being forced to play. Well, that's what I figure anyway. I won't put myself in a position to play when I don't feel like it.

sf

Apr 25, 2015, 1:20:22 PM4/25/15
He comes across as having been a spoiled child who got older, but
never grew up.

--

sf

W. Lohman

Apr 25, 2015, 1:35:29 PM4/25/15
A good long time but you were insightful to approach it as a child.

>> Music as a healing release.
>>
>> I wonder if many rock stars aren't just super-imbalanced and must
>> literally rock to balance and live?
>
> All the stress and exhaustion do take it's toll. After a while you just hate being forced to play. Well, that's what I figure anyway.

Yeah, me too.

> I won't put myself in a position to play when I don't feel like it.

It's got to come from pure joy or it's worthless, imo.

W. Lohman

Apr 25, 2015, 1:40:17 PM4/25/15
A measure of Peter Pan syndrome cross-bred with some toxic solipsism is
my take. Not apealling at all.

dsi1

Apr 25, 2015, 4:03:23 PM4/25/15
You have to get something out of it. I never enjoyed playing with other
people and I only want to play what I want to play. Yeah, I gotta be me!
Hee hee.

W. Lohman

Apr 25, 2015, 6:28:11 PM4/25/15
Awesome, you are self-actualized.

Many never manage to.

dsi1

Apr 25, 2015, 6:52:16 PM4/25/15
I can't say that I formed myself. Among other things, my mom taught me
patience and kindness, my dad taught me self-reliance and loyalty. They
both taught me how men and women should treat each other. Essentially, I
lucked out.

W. Lohman

Apr 25, 2015, 7:07:09 PM4/25/15
I would not diminish how you integrated both schools of being. The
resultant balance is very much your intention, has to be really.

Omelet

Apr 26, 2015, 1:42:49 AM4/26/15
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:29:09 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:47:03 -0600, "W. Lohman" <wl...@yaho.om> wrote:

>> > Barbie the Bobblehead strikes again!
>>
>> The little dumpling is off his oats again...
>>
>> > That *is* a USB drive.
>>
>> WITH a power brick, dolt.
>>
>> The USB cable is just for data transfer, not power.
>>
>> > Most external drives are USB (and/or
>> > Firewire).
>> >
>> > -sw
>>
>> Well no duh!
>
>His mommy needs to wipe the drool from his second chin.
can you even count high enough to count your chins?

when you nod in agreement people are hypnotized by the rolling waves
of fat under your chin

Ophelia

Apr 26, 2015, 6:03:06 AM4/26/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

> I can't say that I formed myself. Among other things, my mom taught me
> patience and kindness, my dad taught me self-reliance and loyalty. They
> both taught me how men and women should treat each other. Essentially, I
> lucked out.

You certainly did and especially your wife :)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Apr 26, 2015, 6:03:07 AM4/26/15

"Omelet" <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>His mommy needs to wipe the drool from his second chin.
> can you even count high enough to count your chins?
>
> when you nod in agreement people are hypnotized by the rolling waves
> of fat under your chin

Om!!! how lovely to see you posting here, regardless of the reason. I do
hope you stay:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

sf

Apr 26, 2015, 10:22:11 AM4/26/15
That's not Omelet. I communicate with her on Facebook.

--

sf

sf

Apr 26, 2015, 10:51:15 AM4/26/15
He regresses daily.

--

sf

Ophelia

Apr 26, 2015, 11:00:06 AM4/26/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Ahh that is a shame!

Thanks:(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Message has been deleted

W. Lohman

Apr 26, 2015, 2:21:05 PM4/26/15
He'd need to master exponents.

> when you nod in agreement people are hypnotized by the rolling waves
> of fat under your chin

LOL!

W. Lohman

Apr 26, 2015, 2:28:26 PM4/26/15
Advisory: AOIE generally = fraud.

W. Lohman

Apr 26, 2015, 2:37:39 PM4/26/15
AIOE = fraud, almost every time.

W. Lohman

Apr 26, 2015, 2:40:09 PM4/26/15
So very true.

W. Lohman

Apr 26, 2015, 2:58:48 PM4/26/15
On 4/26/2015 10:47 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 12:52:14 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> And now the puppeteer strokes Barbie's only ally with a load of
> ingenuous banter.

Gawd, but you're jealous!

> So transparent.

Indeed you are.

> ObFood: Still thinking. Didn't eat dinner last night so

No one cares!

Ophelia

Apr 26, 2015, 3:03:24 PM4/26/15

"W. Lohman" <wl...@yaho.om> wrote in message
Which is a shame. I would love to see her posting here again:(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

W. Lohman

Apr 26, 2015, 3:05:06 PM4/26/15
I'll double ditto that, she was a breath of fresh air!

Perhaps sf can lobby her to consider popping back in, if only for a
short visit.

Otoh, if she's done with this forum no one could ever blame her.

sf

Apr 26, 2015, 3:34:26 PM4/26/15
Can you look around and come up with a valid reason *why* she'd want
to return?

--

sf
It is loading more messages.