Vietnamese Food..... redux

Dave Smith

Feb 4, 2016, 2:03:04โ€ฏAM2/4/16
About a year ago I was out with my son for the day and we stopped for a
late lunch at a Vietnamese place. I had never had Vietnamese food before
and had some expectation that if would be similar to Chinese and/or
Thai, being in the same general area. I was really disappointed. It was
not horrible, but it wasn't very good.

M wife is away for the week so he called up and asked if I would like to
go out for supper with him and he suggested I give Vietnamese another
try because there was a good one near his place. He said they had
similar dishes, but that this place is much better. He was right. It
was quite good. It is not only tasty, but it is downright cheap. Their
entrees were about the same price most places charge for an appetizer.

My big mistake was having a Vietnamese coffee. The waitress explained
that they do it the old fashioned way, using a drip filter gizmo that
drained into a glass that had about half a can of sweetened condensed
milk. It was good, but way too sweet for me. As I sit here three hours
after my regular bed time I realize how potent that coffee was. He told
me after I ordered it that it would probably keep me up all night, but
he has issues with caffeine issues and never drinks coffee in the evening.

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Feb 4, 2016, 10:35:27โ€ฏAM2/4/16
When I wuz in Nam, them gooks ate any kinda shit that moved. Fuskin'
spiders and shit like that.
Gooks!

Checkmate, DoW #1

Feb 4, 2016, 12:10:54โ€ฏPM2/4/16
In article <zcKsy.242925$qz7.1...@fx01.iad>, burke...@t-girls.com
says...
They were probably serving rat tartar sandwiches, known as a "Cannibal
sandwich".

--
Checkmate, AUK DoW #1
Destroyer of the AUK Ko0k Vote (Post-Burnore)

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Feb 4, 2016, 12:13:20โ€ฏPM2/4/16
Those be forest rats. They aren't like the filthy sewer rats over here.
They taste like chicken.

Checkmate, DoW #1

Feb 4, 2016, 12:26:27โ€ฏPM2/4/16
In article <NELsy.243055$qz7.1...@fx01.iad>, burke...@t-girls.com
says...
They're still filthy creatures that shit on themselves.

"Fakey's" dogwhistle holder living at 5907 Stanton Ave., Pittsburgh, PA (aka Teh Mop Jockey), socked up as 5907 Stanton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15206-2117

Feb 4, 2016, 12:57:21โ€ฏPM2/4/16
and a side of the e. coli fries.

--

i know a guy on the internet who will draw a triangular sine wave in ASCII
art if you ask nicely.

"all I really want your pathetic pwned ass to do is write me a classic
rock song as tribute to your Usenet Lord and Master..."
<f4f9193fa7d28b76...@dizum.com>

http://i.imgur.com/2tH6zVB.jpg

http://cafepress.com/kooktown

http://i.imgur.com/pnWqhSG.jpg

If my poasts are offensive to you, you can always block all From: headers
containing "ro...@127.0.0.1", unless you are an idiot who would like to
yammer about "morphing" and maybe try to lodge some frivolous complaints
to my news provider, then please be sure to ignore this helpful
information and have fun making an ass of yourself in public. :)

if that route of silencing those horrid opinions of mine that you
downloaded to your computer under duress doesn't work you can always try:
http://i.imgur.com/jlsN9JX.png?2

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop
The Gish Gallop is often used as an indirect argument from authority โ€” as
it appears to paint the galloper as an expert in a broad range of subjects
or with an extensive knowledge of an individual one. Simultaneously it
presents opponents (in spoken debates) or refuters (in written,
Internet-based ones) as incompetent bumblers who didn't do their homework
before the debate. Such emphasis on style over substance is the reason
many scientists disdain public debates as a forum for disseminating
opinions. - Page #1 from the Gospel of SnickerTurd

Coming soon! To a newsgroup near you!:

$ perl fakeyBot.pl
FakeyBot> I'm FakeyBot. What's your name so I can Google-stalk you,
look you up on Radaris, and hurl invective and probably-illegal harrassing
bile from behind an anonymous dizum account? <snicker>
You> Robert Michael Wolfe
FakeyBot> Oh look, you're back again to polish my size 16 steel-toed
boot with your colon and listen to me talk about bestiality and cocks,
Robert. <snicker>
Robert> you talk about cocks a lot.
FakeyBot> Oh, I talk about sex a lot?
Robert> gay sex, mostly...
FakeyBot> Fag!

(just as useful as the original!)

snickers the wonderturd describes how he alerted lots of his kiddie pr0n
friends to the ensuing FBI sting in message
<b5e7da79a455d0c9...@dizum.com>:
"That's easy enough to do... how do you think my crew uncovered the
largest CP ring using Tor and I2P, which we promptly turned over to
the FBI? I discovered a way to uncover the IP addresses the I2P users were
using, and a way of tracking Eepsites back to their IP addresses, then we
figured out that we could DDOS a Tor IP address and modify Tor headers
while checking whether a Tor hidden service was still up, then using
process of elimination to pinpoint the IP address hosting that hidden
service. It's not rocket science.

_The I2P community got all up in arms when I discussed on their forum how
I was doing it, and that it'd be a good way of cleaning up I2P so it can
get on with being a platform to research anonymous communication... my
distinct impression was that the "anonymity
research platform" story was just a cover story to allow pervs to
trade CP._ (NOTE: admits to participating in what he "suspected" was a
kiddie pr0n network.)

That Silk Road 2.0 was taken offline in the ensuing FBI Operation
Onymous was just icing on the cake."

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Feb 4, 2016, 1:14:12โ€ฏPM2/4/16
No, they don't. If you were there you wood know.

col...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2016, 5:24:33โ€ฏPM2/4/16
I have put egale brand condensed milk in french press coffee before.

Brooklyn1

Feb 4, 2016, 5:53:25โ€ฏPM2/4/16
On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 12:55:58 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 02:03:07 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> About a year ago I was out with my son for the day and we stopped for a
>> late lunch at a Vietnamese place. I had never had Vietnamese food before
>> and had some expectation that if would be similar to Chinese and/or
>> Thai, being in the same general area. I was really disappointed. It was
>> not horrible, but it wasn't very good.
>>
>> M wife is away for the week so he called up and asked if I would like to
>> go out for supper with him and he suggested I give Vietnamese another
>> try because there was a good one near his place. He said they had
>> similar dishes, but that this place is much better. He was right. It
>> was quite good. It is not only tasty, but it is downright cheap. Their
>> entrees were about the same price most places charge for an appetizer.
>
>Heaven forbid you should actually mention what you ate, this time nor
>last time you made this useless announcement.
>
>-sw

By now you must realize that Smith never mentions any details, which
makes him difficult to believe about anything he claims. Honest
people would have mentioned the name of the dishes, and given at least
a brief description and listed the major ingredients. Most likely it
was the Nam shit eating river catfish burger at a fast food joint with
a packet of long-time-nooky-GI gloppy gook hooker sauce of his dreams.
If Smith possessed even an ounce of resourcefulness he would have
posted the URL to the Canuck Gook Crystal Palace menu.
Tonight I have medium rare eye round with buttered green beans and
baked red skin spuds... second half of last night's dinner. Eye round
is all thinly sliced, made a half cup of creamy horseradish sauce to
go with. Just added a few more frozen green beans to the dish and
gave em a zap in the nucker. Red skinned spuds are very good baked...
last week the market in town had Green Giant 5 lb bags BOGO, separated
the biguns from the small ones... biguns are better baked.

Checkmate, DoW #1

Feb 5, 2016, 12:41:38โ€ฏAM2/5/16
In article <JxMsy.272526$8P4....@fx30.iad>, burke...@t-girls.com
I was there, and we didn't eat rats.

col...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2016, 6:17:30โ€ฏAM2/5/16
At Jamestown that 1 winter they ate dogs, cats, rats and each other.

ยกGreedy

Feb 5, 2016, 8:08:23โ€ฏAM2/5/16
no, we didn't eat them directly, but the bastards were everywhere.
Vietnamese ate whatever they could find and I've seen rats on a
contraption like you'd cook a whole package of hotdogs on. fur and
all. my pal says they were nutrias and I say mousemeat. Viets ate dog
before mousemeat...and the dogs knew it and treated the locals
accordingly. I took a bit once so I knew I COULD eat it if I HAD to
but I didn't so I DIDN'T. balut maybe...1000yr old eggs...I'd die
first. I'd use fish eyes to catch a whole fish...but I do understand
you eat what is available or you don't eat. I had a messhall and they
didn't. who was better off? who knows. time for breakfast...here
kitty kitty.

--
this post was 'cat-scanned' by Turd Blossom the Wonder Cat. if there's
a mistake he musta been off in the litter box.

The Milk of Human Kindness

Feb 5, 2016, 8:17:21โ€ฏAM2/5/16
On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 09:10:34 -0800, in alt.war.vietnam "Checkmate, DoW
#1" <Lunatic...@The.Edge> wrote:

>They were probably serving rat tartar sandwiches, known as a "Cannibal
>sandwich".

*Nobody* eats rats unless in the last stages of starvation. What you
probably saw were nutria; the first time I saw one, I thought it was a
rat.

Is the singular of "nutria" a "nutrium"?

Jones

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Feb 5, 2016, 8:55:08โ€ฏAM2/5/16
IDIOT!

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Feb 5, 2016, 8:55:44โ€ฏAM2/5/16
I didn't say you did.
Stay on focus.

Checkmate, DoW #1

Feb 5, 2016, 10:06:27โ€ฏAM2/5/16
In article <n926mn$rv$1...@dont-email.me>, awrli...@hotmail.com says...
Balut is an egg with an almost fully grown embryo in it... usually duck
eggs. Filipinos love them. They also like anchovy sauce, which is made
from totally rotten fish, and smells absolutely horrid. I don't know
how they can eat it without dying of food poisoning. Then there's the
dried rotten fish. When they cook that shit, it'll stink up the entire
house for a week.

Checkmate, DoW #1

Feb 5, 2016, 10:08:56โ€ฏAM2/5/16
In article <6e69bbp784sm605df...@4ax.com>, ยก
Jo...@fubahor.com says...
Nutrias look like rats, only they're giant-sized rats. I don't know how
they got the name "nutria," because they don't look like they should
have anything to do with nutrition, unless you're a python.

mariposas rand mair fheal

Feb 5, 2016, 10:09:43โ€ฏAM2/5/16
The Milk of Human Kindness <?Jo...@fubahor.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 09:10:34 -0800, in alt.war.vietnam "Checkmate, DoW
> #1" <Lunatic...@The.Edge> wrote:
>
> >They were probably serving rat tartar sandwiches, known as a "Cannibal
> >sandwich".
>
> *Nobody* eats rats unless in the last stages of starvation. What you
> probably saw were nutria; the first time I saw one, I thought it was a
> rat.

nutria
foiled again

(must be foil
plastic is not an oxygen barrier)

arf meow arf - everything thing i know i learned
from the collective unconscience of odd bodkins
sacramento - political pigsty of the western world
or a babys arm holding an apple

ยกGreedy

Feb 5, 2016, 10:12:40โ€ฏAM2/5/16
there were no grocery stores open in Kontum during the Easter
Offensive..most of the Vietnamese there were from the north unless SVN
soldiers. there were massive efforts to keep the rice flowing but the
locals were on their own for anything else. dogs were scarce...fooking
SVN ate our camp dogs. while nutria may have been in yer area the viets
and 'yards had the mouses. mebbe itty bitty nutria but these were less
than a pound and the adult nutria can be over 10lbs. mouse (polite for
RAT) I say <G>

ยกjonesy were you on the local economy in Vung Tao in 72? I missed my
R&R but wound up in Thailand. damn my sorry luck. <G>

Brooklyn1

Feb 5, 2016, 1:04:37โ€ฏPM2/5/16
ฤ„Greedy <awrli...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>this post was 'cat-scanned' by Turd Blossom the Wonder Cat. if there's
>a mistake he musta been off in the litter box.

You have a male cat named Turd Blossom... gotta be a faggot feline
that's into anal... no wondering about it! LOL-LOL

Brooklyn1

Feb 5, 2016, 1:14:48โ€ฏPM2/5/16
Breast Milk of Human Kindness On Tap wrote:
>Checkmate wrote:
>
>>They were probably serving rat tartar sandwiches, known as a "Cannibal
>>sandwich".
>
>*Nobody* eats rats unless in the last stages of starvation. What you
>probably saw were nutria; the first time I saw one, I thought it was a
>rat.

Nutrias are rodents, ie. rats... they have a face only a rat fink
mommy can love:
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/nutria/

jmcquown

Feb 5, 2016, 1:18:10โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On 2/5/2016 1:04 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> ยกGreedy <awrli...@hotmail.com> wrote:

(cross-posting snipped)

Why are you feeding the Trolls?!

Jill

col...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2016, 1:42:44โ€ฏPM2/5/16
I've eatten squirrels and if they didn't have furry tails they'd look like giant rats.

ยกGreedy

Feb 5, 2016, 1:50:37โ€ฏPM2/5/16
bought duck eggs for my 'date' one lovely evening in Saigon....when she
started on em I started quacking like a duck and for a moment thought
she'd choked. amazing how they can judge the age of the embryo. the
Thais had a fish sauce as well but it was manageable I suppose it was
all like the kim-chee in Korea. ya's got to do something to give rice
some kinda taste. pee-yew

ยกGreedy

Feb 5, 2016, 1:54:38โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On 2/5/2016 12:04 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
I got him about the time someone disclosed GWB's nickname for his buddy
Karl Rove. looking at Rove he does kinda resemble someone's sphincter.
TB ain't into anything but cat food as he got 'fixed' before he
'broke' anything.

dsi1

Feb 5, 2016, 1:55:32โ€ฏPM2/5/16
My son took me to a Vietnamese restaurant. The food was pretty good. You know it's real Vietnamese when there's chickens walking through the kitchen. :)

Lets face it. Vietnamese coffee probably isn't for Americans or old geezers. It's not for Americans because it takes too ding-dang long to brew a cup. It's not for old geezers because it's a wee bit too potent - but you already found that out.

Gong Hee Fat Choy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IGxH_cfl10

Bruce

Feb 5, 2016, 1:58:14โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 10:42:37 -0800 (PST), col...@gmail.com wrote:

>I've eatten squirrels and if they didn't have furry tails they'd look like giant rats.

Some humans do too.

--
Bruce

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 5, 2016, 3:11:19โ€ฏPM2/5/16

wrote in message

>I've eatten squirrels and if they didn't have furry tails
>they'd look like giant rats.

They are in fact Tree Rats.

gtr

Feb 5, 2016, 3:49:37โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On 2016-02-04 07:03:07 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> My big mistake was having a Vietnamese coffee. The waitress explained
> that they do it the old fashioned way, using a drip filter gizmo that
> drained into a glass that had about half a can of sweetened condensed
> milk. It was good, but way too sweet for me.

Precisely my view. Don't keep trying it, now that you know it sucks,
because it gets habit-forming really quickly.

sf

Feb 5, 2016, 5:33:47โ€ฏPM2/5/16
I have a Vietnamese coffee drip on my Amazon wish list and might even
buy it one of these days. Not sure why a French press wouldn't work
just as well, but they're under $10 - so it's not a huge investment.
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/vietnamese-iced-coffee

--

sf

gtr

Feb 5, 2016, 5:37:34โ€ฏPM2/5/16
After the repulsion phase, then the addiction phase, we got a couple of
them. Little Saigon is a couple of miles down the street from here so
they were quickly encountered in a kitchen supply store. We picked up
a can of condensed milk and it was great. That was about 15 years ago...

At least it didn't have a AC line, take up a square foot of counter
space and cost $200.

Dave Smith

Feb 5, 2016, 6:10:50โ€ฏPM2/5/16
I was under the impression that it was condensed milk. I didn't know it
was sweetened condensed milk. I drink my coffee black. I don't mind a
bit of cream in it, or foamed milk in a latte, but I really prefer
coffee not to be sweetened. If I have it again I will be sure to do it
much earlier in the day. It is probably a good way to start the day.

Dave Smith

Feb 5, 2016, 6:14:21โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On 2016-02-05 5:33 PM, sf wrote:

> I have a Vietnamese coffee drip on my Amazon wish list and might even
> buy it one of these days. Not sure why a French press wouldn't work
> just as well, but they're under $10 - so it's not a huge investment.
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/vietnamese-iced-coffee

This looks like the gizmo I had mine served with.
http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com/about-vietnamese-coffee-filter.php

sf

Feb 5, 2016, 6:23:13โ€ฏPM2/5/16
Yes, that's what it is.

--

sf

sf

Feb 5, 2016, 6:25:39โ€ฏPM2/5/16
You're confusing evaporated milk with condensed milk. They use
condensed milk, not evaporated. If it's not made with condensed milk,
then it's not Vietnamese coffee, it's just coffee.

--

sf

dsi1

Feb 5, 2016, 6:26:54โ€ฏPM2/5/16
"Sweetened condensed milk" is as redundant as "non-sweetened evaporated
milk." Condensed milk always contains enough sugar to make it a thick,
viscous, fluid. Evaporated milk has no sugar added. The US and Canada
does not have much of a history with condensed milk, probably because of
the relative ease of getting fresh milk and access to refrigeration.
OTOH, condensed milk would be pretty good survival food because it's
packed with calories.

Dave Smith

Feb 5, 2016, 7:20:45โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On 2016-02-05 6:25 PM, sf wrote:

>> I was under the impression that it was condensed milk. I didn't know it
>> was sweetened condensed milk. I drink my coffee black. I don't mind a
>> bit of cream in it, or foamed milk in a latte, but I really prefer
>> coffee not to be sweetened. If I have it again I will be sure to do it
>> much earlier in the day. It is probably a good way to start the day.
>>

> You're confusing evaporated milk with condensed milk. They use
> condensed milk, not evaporated. If it's not made with condensed milk,
> then it's not Vietnamese coffee, it's just coffee.

Sorry, but I am used to labels that say Sweetened Condensed milk.

Dave Smith

Feb 5, 2016, 7:25:46โ€ฏPM2/5/16
But who'd have thought that there would be such a high ratio of SCM to
coffee? I was sort of surprised when the waitress brought the glass with
the drop gizmo on top and there was so much SCM in it. It looked like
close to half a can.

> OTOH, condensed milk would be pretty good survival food because it's
> packed with calories.

Most times when I see an open can of SCM I think of a childhood
neighbour who had spend close to 4 years in a Japanese POW camp and
telling about getting Red Cross packages and how he savored the SCM,
pantomiming scraping the can with his finger to get every last little
bit of it.

The Milk of Human Kindness

Feb 5, 2016, 7:59:47โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On Fri, 05 Feb 2016 13:14:36 -0500, in alt.war.vietnam Brooklyn1
<grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Nutrias are rodents, ie. rats... they have a face only a rat fink
>mommy can love:

Well, rats are rodents; however, I don't think that all rodents are
rats.

I wouldn't care to eat one, anyway.

dsi1

Feb 5, 2016, 8:12:35โ€ฏPM2/5/16
I agree, they do put a lot of that stuff in their coffee. I don't know
how those lactose intolerant Asians can stomach it. I certainly can't.
OTOH, I've made toast with peanut butter and condensed milk on top. Damn
that's tasty!

>> OTOH, condensed milk would be pretty good survival food because it's
>> packed with calories.
>
> Most times when I see an open can of SCM I think of a childhood
> neighbour who had spend close to 4 years in a Japanese POW camp and
> telling about getting Red Cross packages and how he savored the SCM,
> pantomiming scraping the can with his finger to get every last little
> bit of it.

I can see how that would be highly prized.

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 5, 2016, 8:21:34โ€ฏPM2/5/16

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

>Sorry, but I am used to labels that say Sweetened Condensed
>milk.

It is sweetened. However when you take the water out of milk
(condensed) the natural sugars are concentrated, so it's sweet
already. Then it's enhanced with extra sugar. That's why dulce
de leche is so wonderful, it's full of caramelized sugars
resulting from cooking down SCM, or making it scratch from milk
(disclaimer, I've never bothered, I jut boil a can of SCM to get
dulce).

sf

Feb 5, 2016, 8:24:28โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 13:26:50 -1000, dsi1 <ds...@fishing.net> wrote:

> "Sweetened condensed milk" is as redundant as "non-sweetened evaporated
> milk."

Agree.

> Condensed milk always contains enough sugar to make it a thick,
> viscous, fluid. Evaporated milk has no sugar added. The US and Canada
> does not have much of a history with condensed milk, probably because of
> the relative ease of getting fresh milk and access to refrigeration.
> OTOH, condensed milk would be pretty good survival food because it's
> packed with calories.

I make an excellent tres leches flan that contains no sugar other than
the condensed milk.

--

sf

sf

Feb 5, 2016, 8:26:28โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 19:25:45 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2016-02-05 6:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> >>

> > "Sweetened condensed milk" is as redundant as "non-sweetened evaporated
> > milk." Condensed milk always contains enough sugar to make it a thick,
> > viscous, fluid. Evaporated milk has no sugar added. The US and Canada
> > does not have much of a history with condensed milk, probably because of
> > the relative ease of getting fresh milk and access to refrigeration.
>
> But who'd have thought that there would be such a high ratio of SCM to
> coffee? I was sort of surprised when the waitress brought the glass with
> the drop gizmo on top and there was so much SCM in it. It looked like
> close to half a can.

If you looked at the recipe, it wasn't... especially if you're still
thinking of the size of an evaporated milk can.

--

sf

Dave Smith

Feb 5, 2016, 9:01:51โ€ฏPM2/5/16
On 2016-02-05 8:26 PM, sf wrote:

>> But who'd have thought that there would be such a high ratio of SCM to
>> coffee? I was sort of surprised when the waitress brought the glass with
>> the drop gizmo on top and there was so much SCM in it. It looked like
>> close to half a can.
>>
> If you looked at the recipe, it wasn't... especially if you're still
> thinking of the size of an evaporated milk can.

I did not look at the recipe before I went there. I was estimating the
amount of condensed milk in the glass.

dsi1

Feb 6, 2016, 4:35:39โ€ฏAM2/6/16
That's great stuff alright. I wish I could have a slice of that. It just might kill me but what a way to die. :)

I made some waffles the other day and put on some jam and whipped cream in a can that my daughter bought. It was great but the whipped cream just murdered my guts. I was out of commision all day. Next time it's fake whipped cream for me!

dsi1

Feb 6, 2016, 4:40:09โ€ฏAM2/6/16
They would use about a couple of tablespoons - approximately 1/10 of a 14oz can.

dsi1

Feb 6, 2016, 5:07:47โ€ฏAM2/6/16
That coffee filter is symbolic of why the Vietnamese were able to prevail against the French, Japanese, and Americans. It's frustratingly slow in operation and any country that has the patience to use something like that will always win in the long run.

I have a phin but I use my 4 cup drip machine to brew Trung Nguyen Gourmet Blend coffee. It's great stuff that's as smooth as Kona but my wife thinks it tastes weird. That's the breaks.

Xeno

Feb 6, 2016, 6:29:53โ€ฏAM2/6/16
Severe lactose intolerance?

--

Xeno

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 6, 2016, 6:50:17โ€ฏAM2/6/16
True, it's redundant, but it makes it very clear what you're talking
about. And, as Dave points out, the label says "sweetened" right on it:

<https://www.google.com/search?q=sweetened+condensed+milk+images&biw=1920&bih=911&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT-5D9iOPKAhWG6SYKHf24A3gQsAQIGw>

I've seen some old recipes that simply call for Eagle Brand milk. Perhaps
Borden's published them, or perhaps the copyist just assumed that everybody
would recognize it by that name. I recall my grandmother calling it that.
Frankly, if I wanted to buy sweetened condensed milk, I doubt I'd buy
anything but Eagle Brand.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Feb 6, 2016, 10:46:37โ€ฏAM2/6/16
On 2016-02-06 4:40 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> They would use about a couple of tablespoons - approximately 1/10 of a 14oz can.

It is sold in smaller cans here.... 300 ml, about 10 oz.

col...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2016, 11:08:12โ€ฏAM2/6/16
Eagle condensed milk is perhaps the oldest canned food there is, they had it in the Civil war.

sf

Feb 6, 2016, 11:10:52โ€ฏAM2/6/16
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 01:35:33 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 3:24:28 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:.
> >
> > I make an excellent tres leches flan that contains no sugar other than
> > the condensed milk.
> >

> That's great stuff alright. I wish I could have a slice of that. It just might kill me but what a way to die. :)
>
> I made some waffles the other day and put on some jam and whipped cream in a can that my daughter bought. It was great but the whipped cream just murdered my guts. I was out of commision all day. Next time it's fake whipped cream for me!

Have you ever tried whipping coconut milk? I haven't because I'm okay
with cow's milk, but I love coconut so I bet it would take great on a
lot of things - waffles with fresh fruit being only one of them. You
should also give goats milk products a try. Goat's milk brie is tasty
and the white cheddar is surprisingly excellent. Both are pricey.

--

sf

dsi1

Feb 6, 2016, 12:10:33โ€ฏPM2/6/16
Most Asians and Black folks can't digest lactose but I wouldn't call it severe. I can handle small amounts of lactose. My guess is that I could obtain and maintain the proper gut flora necessary for lactose digestion by eating certain milk products but then I'm have to eat the stuff on a regular basis.

dsi1

Feb 6, 2016, 12:14:34โ€ฏPM2/6/16
People find comfort in calling it that the same way they call canned tuna "tuna fish." :)

gtr

Feb 6, 2016, 12:30:14โ€ฏPM2/6/16
It's not that much, but it significantly changes what would otherwise
be a cup of coffee. It's also usually very strong coffee.

dsi1

Feb 6, 2016, 12:32:01โ€ฏPM2/6/16
The ones I've seen are typically labeled 14oz - about 390g. The serving size however is around 30ml and around 10 servings per can which means the labeling, at least in the US, are mixing up oz weight and oz volume. That's just plain goofy!

dsi1

Feb 6, 2016, 12:38:43โ€ฏPM2/6/16
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 6:10:52 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 01:35:33 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
I've never tried to whip coconut milk nor have I seen it done. It sounds like a pretty good idea though - I'd eat it! OTOH, I like to have coconut syrup on waffles and pancakes every chance I get. I'm not too fond of maple syrup these days.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/20/f6/fa/20f6fa7e489bc91968d7a7dc4aac0a57.jpg

sf

Feb 6, 2016, 1:03:42โ€ฏPM2/6/16
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 09:38:39 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I've never tried to whip coconut milk nor have I seen it done. It sounds like a pretty good idea though - I'd eat it! OTOH, I like to have coconut syrup on waffles and pancakes every chance I get. I'm not too fond of maple syrup these days.

I still like maple syrup, but I buy the real thing and don't use it
very often. A smallish bottle can last for years at my house.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-whipped-cream-from-152490

--

sf

sf

Feb 6, 2016, 1:14:00โ€ฏPM2/6/16
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 09:31:57 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Just checked mine out. Weight varies by brand, but yes - call
condensed milk 14 oz and that's the shorter can. A serving is 2T and
it says there are 10 to the container. The taller can is evaporated
milk and it weighs 12 oz. Canned milk comes in many different sizes.
I have a 5oz can of evaporated milk. Don't ask me where I found it,
but I know I bought it because I don't see that size everyday.

--

sf

dsi1

Feb 6, 2016, 1:37:27โ€ฏPM2/6/16
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 8:03:42 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 09:38:39 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> > I've never tried to whip coconut milk nor have I seen it done. It sounds like a pretty good idea though - I'd eat it! OTOH, I like to have coconut syrup on waffles and pancakes every chance I get. I'm not too fond of maple syrup these days.
> >
> I still like maple syrup, but I buy the real thing and don't use it
> very often. A smallish bottle can last for years at my house.
>
> http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-whipped-cream-from-152490
>
> --
>
> sf

Thanks for the link. The thing about canned coconut milk is that the fat content varies wildly. I want the brand with the highest amount of fat. Since the serving size also varies on the label, the simplest way to determine fat content is to multiply the calories by the number of servings per can to determine the total calories in a can. The one with the highest calorie count is you huckleberry. Well, in my book anyway.

My guess is that as canned coconut milk gets more popular, the serving size will be standardized and the quality will go down as people try to squeeze more profit from their product.

Gary

Feb 6, 2016, 3:00:43โ€ฏPM2/6/16
col...@gmail.com wrote:

> Eagle condensed milk is perhaps the oldest canned food there is, they had it in the Civil war.

I never saw it in a store back then.

Helpful person

Feb 8, 2016, 2:50:07โ€ฏPM2/8/16
On Saturday, February 6, 2016 at 12:10:33 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> Most Asians and Black folks can't digest lactose but I wouldn't call it severe. I can handle small amounts of lactose. My guess is that I could obtain and maintain the proper gut flora necessary for lactose digestion by eating certain milk products but then I'm have to eat the stuff on a regular basis.

Not so. Many Chinese yes, but not most.

http://www.richardfisher.comk

dsi1

Feb 8, 2016, 4:20:37โ€ฏPM2/8/16
I hardly know what you mean.

Dave Smith

Feb 8, 2016, 4:35:30โ€ฏPM2/8/16
It varies among the different regions of China. In one region the rate
of lactose intolerance among adults is 76% and in another it is 92%,
and in another is ins 88%. Since the the lowest rate is over 75% and
the average is closer to 90% I would say "most" is an accurate assessment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6235167

Dave Smith

Feb 8, 2016, 4:38:49โ€ฏPM2/8/16
It is his little semi factoid. Maybe he thinks the incidence of lactose
intolerance has to be over 98% to be able to say that most Chinese are.
Given that the average incidence of lactose intolerance
among Chinese adults is over 85%, I would agree with you that most of
them are.

dsi1

Feb 8, 2016, 5:37:25โ€ฏPM2/8/16
The Asians have to ferment their milk products to make it acceptable for
their gentle stomachs. Here's my favorite Japanese milk drink. Damn,
it's refreshing!

http://www.calpico.com/

cshenk

Feb 8, 2016, 6:42:07โ€ฏPM2/8/16
Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Actually it is area dependent. Southern easter Asians tend to be
lactose intolerant by about age 8. Northern Western ones mush less so
and by Mongolia, they run close to European levels of lactose tolerance.

Carol

sf

Feb 8, 2016, 9:06:14โ€ฏPM2/8/16
On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 12:37:22 -1000, dsi1 <ds...@fishing.net> wrote:

> The Asians have to ferment their milk products to make it acceptable for
> their gentle stomachs. Here's my favorite Japanese milk drink. Damn,
> it's refreshing!
>
> http://www.calpico.com/

A non-carbonated, milk based beverage? ... weird.

--

sf

dsi1

Feb 8, 2016, 9:18:10โ€ฏPM2/8/16
It is weird. It tastes like a sweet orangeade with a light floral
fragrance and a slight astringency. It's a very good drink!

Xeno

Feb 9, 2016, 3:42:35โ€ฏAM2/9/16
What you are saying is that their lactose intolerance is more a result
of minimal exposure than it is a natural intolerance. In the case of my
wife, when we first married 35 years ago, she couldn't handle any dairy
products at all. Now you would think she is totally lactose tolerant.
Cheese, milk, butter, yoghurt, nothing phases her. 35 years of gradually
building exposure to dairy products has removed any trace of lactose
intolerance she might ever have had.

--

Xeno

notbob

Feb 9, 2016, 12:14:02โ€ฏPM2/9/16
On 2016-02-09, dsi1 <ds...@fishing.net> wrote:

> On 2/8/2016 4:06 PM, sf wrote:

>> A non-carbonated, milk based beverage? ... weird.

WTF do you think Starbucks is selling?

> It is weird. It tastes like a sweet orangeade with a light floral
> fragrance and a slight astringency. It's a very good drink!

Jes what I wanted. Powdered milk that tastes like orangeade. BTW,
the name of the product is Calpis and Calpis Soda IS carbonated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calpis

nb

dsi1

Feb 9, 2016, 3:50:08โ€ฏPM2/9/16
Evaluating a food based on a description is a time honored tradition on
RFC. Calpis hasn't been called that in America for decades. These days
it's called Calpico - unless you're in Japan.

I did have some trepidation about drinking a fermented milk soft drink
but the truth is that the milk in the drink ain't that much and you'd
probably never guess it contained any milk at all. It pretty much had me
at "hello."

Dave Smith

Feb 9, 2016, 6:40:03โ€ฏPM2/9/16
On 2016-02-09 3:49 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I did have some trepidation about drinking a fermented milk soft drink
> but the truth is that the milk in the drink ain't that much and you'd
> probably never guess it contained any milk at all. It pretty much had me
> at "hello."

Kefir is a fermented milk product. I have never had the plain stuff but
the fruit flavoured ones are pretty tasty. They are like a tonic for me.

dsi1

Feb 9, 2016, 8:35:15โ€ฏPM2/9/16
My Filipino friend highly recommended kefir. My guess he learned to
drink that stuff when he was stationed in Turkey. I thought it sounded
kind of goofy but maybe one day, I'll give it a go. I have it in my mind
to try new foods because, if I don't do it now, I'll probably never do it.

Dave Smith

Feb 9, 2016, 9:08:00โ€ฏPM2/9/16
On 2016-02-09 8:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> Kefir is a fermented milk product. I have never had the plain stuff but
>> the fruit flavoured ones are pretty tasty. They are like a tonic for me.
>>

> My Filipino friend highly recommended kefir. My guess he learned to
> drink that stuff when he was stationed in Turkey. I thought it sounded
> kind of goofy but maybe one day, I'll give it a go. I have it in my mind
> to try new foods because, if I don't do it now, I'll probably never do it.

It is only sold in a few places around here, but there are two types,
though rarely both in the same store. There in the non effervescent
stuff sold in plastic jugs. They have strawberry, raspberry, blueberry,
mango and plain. The fruit ones are sort of like a milkshake. The other
comes in a container more like a yoghurt tub but with a foil top. The
tops is domed.... result of the gases produced in the fermentation process.

Having a lactose problem, I find kefir to be like a tonic. Not only is
it a lactose free dairy product, it helps to produce in intestinal
flora to help digest milk and cheese.

sf

Feb 9, 2016, 9:10:42โ€ฏPM2/9/16
On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 18:40:00 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Kefir is a fermented milk product. I have never had the plain stuff but
> the fruit flavoured ones are pretty tasty. They are like a tonic for me.

I like the plain version... and it's versatile, because I can use it
in place of buttermilk.

--

sf

dsi1

Feb 9, 2016, 9:26:17โ€ฏPM2/9/16
Yogurt and acidophilus milk work the same way. These are the original
pro-bionics. The dirty little secret is that acidophilus milk was
intended for lactose intolerant people - the dairy industry could never
come out and state that fact.

Nunya Bidnits

Feb 9, 2016, 10:25:14โ€ฏPM2/9/16

"dsi1" wrote in message news:n9e6un$r31$1...@dont-email.me...

>Yogurt and acidophilus milk work the same way. These are the
>original pro-bionics. The dirty little secret is that
>acidophilus milk was intended for lactose intolerant people -
>the dairy industry could never come out and state that fact.

No, that's not true. Acidophilus milk has long been marketed for
that exact purpose, to people with lactose intolerance.

koko

Feb 10, 2016, 12:21:27โ€ฏAM2/10/16
If you can get some milk kefir grains you can make your own. I make
water kefir, they are both high in probiotics.

koko

James Beard

jmcquown

Feb 10, 2016, 12:30:54โ€ฏAM2/10/16
On 2/9/2016 10:25 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message news:n9e6un$r31$1...@dont-email.me...
>
>> The dirty little secret is that acidophilus milk was
>> intended for lactose intolerant people - the dairy industry could
>> never come out and state that fact.
>
> No, that's not true. Acidophilus milk has long been marketed for that
> exact purpose, to people with lactose intolerance.

There was no "dirty little secret". Acidophilus milk was not heavily
marketed but it was recommended for lactose issues.

I have cooked with plain yogurt and it's fine as a sour cream substutite
in *some* recipes. It's about as tangy as sour cream. I have used it
in a stroganoff sauce, for example. Granted, that was several years ago.

Lately, yogurt advertisting is all the rage. I'm getting sick and tired
of hearing about yogurt.

Jill

Dave Smith

Feb 10, 2016, 10:06:26โ€ฏAM2/10/16
On 2016-02-10 12:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I have cooked with plain yogurt and it's fine as a sour cream substutite
> in *some* recipes. It's about as tangy as sour cream. I have used it
> in a stroganoff sauce, for example. Granted, that was several years ago.
>
> Lately, yogurt advertisting is all the rage. I'm getting sick and tired
> of hearing about yogurt.

I must be immune to most of the yogurt advertising. I can think of only
two that I see, one for IOGO and the other is for Kronos Greek yogurt.
There is no doubt that it is a lot more popular here now that it was
when I was a kid. I remember when I was a kid and watching the Three
Stooges and they would order (flavoured) yogurt from the milkman, and I
wondered what the heck yogurt was.

I first saw it in the cafeteria as university in the early 70s. It was
always the fruity kind. I ate it occasionally. It is only in the last 5
years that I have been eating it regularly. It was the first meal I had
after heart surgery. I loved it. They came me some low fat yogurt with
fruit in it.It was cook, refreshing and so easy to eat. Since then I
have been eating it regularly.

Despite my body having a hard time with oatmeal, my standard breakfast
routine changed a couple months ago. I have a little bit of granola with
yogurt and fresh fruit. I won't bore you with details, but I will say
that it makes things run much more smoothly.

I have tried using yogurt in soups instead of sour cream. I can say it
works in an emergency, but I really prefer sour cream.

A friend of mine travelled a lot on South America years ago and came
back with a great brunch idea...... yogurt and fruit crepes. Put a
dollop of yogurt on a crepe, add some fresh fruit salad, roll it up and
drizzle it with honey.

notbob

Feb 10, 2016, 10:59:09โ€ฏAM2/10/16
On 2016-02-10, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Lately, yogurt advertisting is all the rage. I'm getting sick and tired
> of hearing about yogurt.

Toss yer TV. ;)

nb

jmcquown

Feb 10, 2016, 11:23:08โ€ฏAM2/10/16
On 2/10/2016 10:06 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-02-10 12:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I have cooked with plain yogurt and it's fine as a sour cream substutite
>> in *some* recipes. It's about as tangy as sour cream. I have used it
>> in a stroganoff sauce, for example. Granted, that was several years ago.
>>
>> Lately, yogurt advertisting is all the rage. I'm getting sick and tired
>> of hearing about yogurt.
>
> I must be immune to most of the yogurt advertising. I can think of only
> two that I see, one for IOGO and the other is for Kronos Greek yogurt.

What, no ads for Dannon, Yoplait, Oikos or Chobani? I do my best to
tune out commercials but ads for yogurt are all over the place.

> I have tried using yogurt in soups instead of sour cream. I can say it
> works in an emergency, but I really prefer sour cream.
>
> A friend of mine travelled a lot on South America years ago and came
> back with a great brunch idea...... yogurt and fruit crepes. Put a
> dollop of yogurt on a crepe, add some fresh fruit salad, roll it up and
> drizzle it with honey.

Whatever floats your boat. :) I prefer savoury crepes. When I want
fruit I just eat fruit.

Jill

dsi1

Feb 10, 2016, 1:56:14โ€ฏPM2/10/16
I don't just throw statements around like most of the mugs on the newsgroup. I've been tracking this Acidophilus milk thing since the 70's. They never said a word about what a help it could be for lactose intolerant people. That's an unforgivable sin of omission of the dairy industry.

"Probiotics" has been the rage for the last few years. The commercials continue the "don't ask, don't tell" policy of keeping the dirty secret that most Asians and Black folk have a problem with milk products. Mostly, they talk in vague, general, terms about colon health. The reality is that most people don't have a clue about what "colon health" means.

sf

Feb 10, 2016, 3:31:11โ€ฏPM2/10/16
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:06:22 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2016-02-10 12:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > I have cooked with plain yogurt and it's fine as a sour cream substutite
> > in *some* recipes. It's about as tangy as sour cream. I have used it
> > in a stroganoff sauce, for example. Granted, that was several years ago.
> >
> > Lately, yogurt advertisting is all the rage. I'm getting sick and tired
> > of hearing about yogurt.
>
> I must be immune to most of the yogurt advertising. I can think of only
> two that I see, one for IOGO and the other is for Kronos Greek yogurt.

It could also be that the demographic in her viewing area tends to be
retired or at least people who are the age to be retired and their
digestive systems needs a kick start from time to time.

--

sf

sf

Feb 10, 2016, 3:38:00โ€ฏPM2/10/16
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:56:10 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Mostly, they talk in vague, general, terms about colon health. The reality is that most people don't have a clue about what "colon health" means.

I translate it to mean "not constipated".

--

sf

Dave Smith

Feb 10, 2016, 3:46:22โ€ฏPM2/10/16
On 2016-02-10 11:22 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Lately, yogurt advertisting is all the rage. I'm getting sick and tired
>>> of hearing about yogurt.
>>
>> I must be immune to most of the yogurt advertising. I can think of only
>> two that I see, one for IOGO and the other is for Kronos Greek yogurt.
>
> What, no ads for Dannon, Yoplait, Oikos or Chobani? I do my best to
> tune out commercials but ads for yogurt are all over the place.

No ads where? Radio? Television? Magazines? Other than the two I
mentioned, I can't think of any of those others that I have seen lately.
I am certainly not overwhelmed by yogurt advertizing. I don't listen
to a lot of commercial radio and I tend to channel surf during TV
commercials.... damn then for synchronizing ad times.

>> I have tried using yogurt in soups instead of sour cream. I can say it
>> works in an emergency, but I really prefer sour cream.
>>
>> A friend of mine travelled a lot on South America years ago and came
>> back with a great brunch idea...... yogurt and fruit crepes. Put a
>> dollop of yogurt on a crepe, add some fresh fruit salad, roll it up and
>> drizzle it with honey.
>>
> Whatever floats your boat. :) I prefer savoury crepes. When I want
> fruit I just eat fruit.

Well, it does float my boat. It makes for a quick and easy breakfast,
brunch or even a dessert.

sf

Feb 10, 2016, 4:14:39โ€ฏPM2/10/16
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:46:19 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Well, it does float my boat. It makes for a quick and easy breakfast,
> brunch or even a dessert.

Here's a dessert I'll try it later in the season, when strawberries
are a bit sweeter. I'll use champagne and make it a portion for two.
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/03/sabayon-zabaglione-recipe/

--

sf

jmcquown

Feb 10, 2016, 6:09:52โ€ฏPM2/10/16
That's an odd thought. Not everyone who lives in my [geographical] area
is old. The people in the yogurt ads are all 20-somethings. How does
that work?

I remember my mother asking me, "what are pro-biotics?" They're just
trying to get you to buy yogurt.

Jill

Dave Smith

Feb 10, 2016, 6:12:06โ€ฏPM2/10/16
And.... you could serve it in a crepe instead of in a glass or bowl.

gtr

Feb 10, 2016, 6:22:50โ€ฏPM2/10/16
My wife drinks a fruit-juice glass of it every afternoon.

sf

Feb 10, 2016, 6:42:14โ€ฏPM2/10/16
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:12:04 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 2016-02-10 4:14 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:46:19 -0500, Dave Smith
> > <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> Well, it does float my boat. It makes for a quick and easy breakfast,
> >> brunch or even a dessert.
> >
> > Here's a dessert I'll try it later in the season, when strawberries
> > are a bit sweeter. I'll use champagne and make it a portion for two.
> > http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2012/03/sabayon-zabaglione-recipe/
> >

> And.... you could serve it in a crepe instead of in a glass or bowl.

I probably won't because I like the idea of a pretty glass better. I
have some Fostoria water glasses that size, but my martini glasses
will be a more reasonable portion.

--

sf

sf

Feb 10, 2016, 6:47:03โ€ฏPM2/10/16
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:09:45 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I get prebiotics and probiotics mixed up because I don't care. They
settle stomachs when they are upset, get digestive tracks going when
they're plugged up and help rebuild gut flora after antibiotics.

--

sf

dsi1

Feb 10, 2016, 9:56:03โ€ฏPM2/10/16
On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 10:38:00 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:56:10 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> > Mostly, they talk in vague, general, terms about colon health. The reality is that most people don't have a clue about what "colon health" means.
>
> I translate it to mean "not constipated".
>
> --
>
> sf

To the lactose intolerant, it means the exact opposite. To the makers of probiotic products it means not having diarrhea when you eat their yogurt or drink their milk. "Colon health" is certainly a more socially acceptable way of phrasing it. :)

Gary

Feb 11, 2016, 6:53:10โ€ฏAM2/11/16
Sqwertz wrote:

> Yogurt gives me a physical gag reflex. Not because of the taste, but
> because of the texture. I can't eat foods like pudding, bananas,
> durian, Jell-O and such. Even though I like some of them flavorwise.

Not a gag reflex here but I find puddings and yogurt boring due to
lack of something solid.

I'll put a chocolate pudding (not instant) in a pie shell.
Vanilla yogurt, I'll mix in some Honey Nut Clusters cereal.
Jello is totally boring but a scoop of vanilla ice cream helps.
I like banana plain but just as they ripen. Still firm and no spots.
Never tried durian. Do you like the taste? From what I've heard
it's an acquired taste.
But then, you like limburger cheese. I've never tried it but I did
smell a package once. arrghh! How do you know if it's even still
good? lol!

Dave Smith

Feb 11, 2016, 9:39:01โ€ฏAM2/11/16
On 2016-02-11 6:51 AM, Gary wrote:

> But then, you like limburger cheese. I've never tried it but I did
> smell a package once. arrghh! How do you know if it's even still
> good? lol!

I tried it once. A friend had been given a fruit and cheese basket at
Christmas and we were nibbling at it. He handed me a piece of cheese and
told me to try it. I popped it into my mouth. It tasted pretty good...
at first and I was about to say something when I noticed a strange look
on his face. I asked what was wrong, and when I spoke I was overwhelmed
by the smell of it on my breath. I was what I imagined dog shit would
taste like. Even straight whiskey would not get rid of that taste and
smell. Yet, some people like it.

Brooklyn1

Feb 11, 2016, 10:40:19โ€ฏAM2/11/16
You learned a little about TIAD. hehe

notbob

Feb 11, 2016, 11:20:46โ€ฏAM2/11/16
On 2016-02-11, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> .....some people like it.

I like stinky cheeses. Such a love affair can be peril ridden. The
first time I purchased raclette was cuz I thought it was a stinky
semi-soft cheese. Turns out it was really "turned" raclette and was
not really that stinky, at all. Jes bad! ;)

nb

Janet B

Feb 11, 2016, 11:37:04โ€ฏAM2/11/16
Sheldon, I'm surprised. I would have thought that you would like
limburger. I haven't had any decent limburger in years. I miss it.
Janet US

Brooklyn1

Feb 11, 2016, 4:31:25โ€ฏPM2/11/16
On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 09:36:59 -0700, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
Meant as humor... I like limburger and other schtinky cheeses. I just
don't partake often, not very condusive to having a social life. I
enjoy raw onion too, but I'm only permited when I'm going to be home
alone for a few days. Just today I bought two 2 lb bags of onion
BOGO, as I'll be spending all next week alone with the cats and they
don't mind. I even have some of my home ground burgers in the freezer
so I'll be preparing a boat load of caramelized onions to go with, may
need to go into town for another batch of onions... I bought yellow
but they have the same deal with white and red too... ends up costing
25ยข/lb, I thought a good price. This is the time of year they need to
unload storage onions in the north east before they start going off so
they drop the price significantly.
It is loading more messages.