What to do with a lot of extra Cheerios?

axlq

Jul 25, 2016, 4:58:58 PM7/25/16

In the confusion from misplacing things in our home due to a
reorganization of belongings, a nearly-full Costco-sized open box
of Cheerios was hidden under something else. Thinking it had been
consumed, we opened a SECOND huge box when my kid announced he
wanted Cheerios for breakfast this morning. Then we discovered the
already-open box.

Both are fresh, but there's no way we'd consume all of those Cheerios
before they go stale, so I'm wondering if there's something creative I
can do. These are plain Cheerios, not honey-nut or other flavor.

So I look online for recipes, and find that the Cheerios website
actually has a page devoted to this: http://www.cheerios.com/recipes

Not much there looks appetizing although some look interesting. Some
seem as if they'd taste like sawdust, like the recipe about grinding
Cheerios into flour to make pancakes (that's just weird, they start
out as flour, and then you grind them back down? why not just
buy some oat flour?). The lemon squares might be good. The pork
meatballs are interesting but not practical if the Cheerios get
disgustingly soggy -- anything I'd make would need to have a short
shelf-life to consume as leftovers.

Has anyone done anything interesting or tasty with Cheerios?

ljla...@acd.net

Jul 25, 2016, 5:15:14 PM7/25/16
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 20:58:55 +0000 (UTC), ax...@spamcop.net (axlq)
wrote:
NUTS & BOLTS SNACK MIX
2 c. Corn Chex
2 c. Rice Chex
2 c. Cheerios
2 c. croutons
2 c. thin pretzels
1 c. cashews
1 c. pecans
1 c. peanuts
2/3 c. butter
4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Garlic powder & hot pepper sauce to taste
Place all cereals and nuts in a large roasting pan. Melt butter over
low heat; stir in salt, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and hot
pepper sauce. Pour over cereals and nuts. Mix evenly. Heat oven to 250
degrees. Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and spread on paper towels
to cool.

tert in seattle

Jul 25, 2016, 5:30:03 PM7/25/16
axlq wrote:

> Has anyone done anything interesting or tasty with Cheerios?

interesting, yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xlQsY-s1U

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 5:53:56 PM7/25/16

"axlq" <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
I don't happen to like them myself but I did make a recipe as a kid that was
like Rice Crispy treats that used those instead. When my daughter was in
scouts, they made what they called friendship mix. Each kid brought
something and it was mixed together then portioned out and shared. Very bad
idea as nobody would eat the end result. But you could do something like a
trail mix using only what you like.

dsi1

Jul 25, 2016, 6:06:48 PM7/25/16
Use it for packing material when mailing small items. If you put it in baggies, the person receiving the package can eat it. The important part is that you're sending it far, far, away.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 25, 2016, 7:18:00 PM7/25/16
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 3:58:58 PM UTC-5, axlq wrote:

> a nearly-full Costco-sized open box
> of Cheerios was hidden under something else. Thinking it had been
> consumed, we opened a SECOND huge box. Then we discovered the
> already-open box.
>
> Both are fresh, but there's no way we'd consume all of those Cheerios
> before they go stale.

Just put them in a large Ziploc bag, try to squeeze as much air
out as possible and close.

col...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2016, 8:24:29 PM7/25/16
I prefer honey nut cheerios.

Doris Night

Jul 25, 2016, 8:38:19 PM7/25/16
Of course you don't.

Doris

Brooklyn1

Jul 25, 2016, 8:46:25 PM7/25/16
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 16:10:54 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 20:58:55 +0000 (UTC), axlq wrote:
>
>> Has anyone done anything interesting or tasty with Cheerios?
>
>Make necklaces to hang around the necks of scarecrows.

Crows ain't stupid, they'll eat the cheerios and the crops too...
crows laugh at those silly things supposed to scare them. Crows are
very smart, they never just dive down and begin eating... they are
extremely wary so can check out the area for a full fifteen minutes,
meanwhile calling (CAW CAW CAW) for all their buddies to come check
the area too. Every morning they come to steal the bird seed I toss
out for the song birds, but I expect it so I don't mind, they gotta
eat too. In winter with a six foot cover of snow food is scarce so I
feed the crows cheap tube steak, half a tubesteak right from the
freezer sustains them... of course I put out all scraps too, much
appreciated by all the critters... nothing edible ever goes in my
trash can.

sf

Jul 25, 2016, 8:56:14 PM7/25/16
wrote:

> Has anyone done anything interesting or tasty with Cheerios?

No, but today I saw a suggestion about putting them in soup instead of
crackers. Didn't appeal to me, but when you have that much Cheerios -
sometimes you do what you have to do.

--

sf

Dave Smith

Jul 25, 2016, 9:24:12 PM7/25/16
On 2016-07-25 8:46 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 16:10:54 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:
>

> Crows ain't stupid, they'll eat the cheerios and the crops too...
> crows laugh at those silly things supposed to scare them. Crows are
> very smart,

When I was a kid my neighbour had a pet crow. The crow and I were
better friends that me and the neighbour. It used to come over every
morning and sit on my bedroom window sill and caw at me. He started
following me around the neighbourhood when I was delivering newspapers,
and after a couple weeks he would fly ahead and wait for me on the roof
on the next house on my route.

Jeßus

Jul 26, 2016, 12:46:39 AM7/26/16
On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 20:38:15 -0400, Doris Night
<goodnig...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:53:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
><juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>"axlq" <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone done anything interesting or tasty with Cheerios?
>>
>>I don't happen to like them myself
>
>Of course you don't.

But this time she doesnt hate them ;)

axlq

Jul 26, 2016, 3:53:32 AM7/26/16
In article <s90dpb541rrg6hb6j...@4ax.com>,
<ljla...@acd.net> wrote:
>>Has anyone done anything interesting or tasty with Cheerios?
>
>NUTS & BOLTS SNACK MIX
[snip]

That looks pretty good... but I'd have to buy even more boxes of cereal
to get rid of the excess Cheerios.

-A

axlq

Jul 26, 2016, 3:57:33 AM7/26/16
In article <nn64lj$mdn$1...@dont-email.me>, l not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone done anything interesting or tasty with Cheerios?
>
>Crisp rice treats, only with cheerios instead of crisp rice cereal. Adding
>a few chopped nuts and/or raisins is a good option. But, if it were me,
>I'd just dump the contents of one box into a freezer bag squeeze/suck out as
>much air as possible, put the freezer bag in the Cheerios box and the box in
>the freezer until needed. They will not stale or go rancid in the freezer
>for quite a long time.

Not a bad idea... although our freezer is perpetually full. That
happens when one shops at Costco for a small household. They sell
stuff only in large-size packages, and the freezer fills up quickly.

-A

Nancy Young

Jul 26, 2016, 9:00:12 AM7/26/16
That is the problem for leftover recipes, not that I'm knocking
them or complaining about them. But What to do with leftover
turkey will generally give you a Lot more food to get rid of.

nancy

sf

Jul 26, 2016, 11:43:32 AM7/26/16
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 07:53:29 +0000 (UTC), ax...@spamcop.net (axlq)
wrote:
You're incapable of altering a recipe to use the seasoning on a single
type of cereal?

--

sf

Gary

Jul 26, 2016, 12:10:51 PM7/26/16
An extra box of Cherrios? What a frivilous problem. Just freeze the
extras or toss them.
The OP is now giving excuses why he can't do this or that. Just like
Julie too....can't freeze them as freezer is full. splat! If that's the
plan, just toss them in the trash, just like Julie would. Good grief.
We're debating about $2 worth of worthless Cherrios. Throw them in the
trash and move one. Get a life. Screw a box of Cherrios...good grief!
:-D Or just buy some extra milk and eat them up for a couple of meals.
Stupid question in the first place.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 4:14:19 PM7/26/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Wouldn't be as good like that though. I gather that the appeal of such
snacks is the many differing items in there.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 4:15:50 PM7/26/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:57978BDF...@att.net...
I don't know if this is true or not. But someone once told me if I was mad
at someone, to put Cheerios on their lawn right before a rain. Said that
they'd bloat up with water and the only way to remove them was by hand. Just
a thought...

col...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 6:08:31 PM7/26/16
I think birds or animals would eat them after they got wet.

sf

Jul 26, 2016, 6:16:34 PM7/26/16
When you're stuck with that amount of Cheerios, you learn to love it
or throw it out.

--

sf

jmcquown

Jul 26, 2016, 8:16:17 PM7/26/16
On 7/26/2016 6:16 PM, sf wrote:
> When you're stuck with that amount of Cheerios, you learn to love it
> or throw it out.

Or toss the contents of the older box out to feed the birds. I assure
you birds aren't going to be pecking at the windows complaining the
Cheerios are too old. :)

Jill

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 2:18:17 AM7/27/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
If I had extra of something like that, I might put a few out to see if the
birds or squirrels would eat them. If they wouldn't, I'd probably just get
rid of them. Cereal is usually cheap.

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 4:46:18 AM7/27/16
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 10:58:58 AM UTC-10, axlq wrote:
My wife wanted something to feed the chickens that run wild around here because little kids find that wildly amusing. She took out a baggie of Corn Chex cereal. She later said the chickens weren't much interested. That's rather hard to believe. Anyway, perhaps you'd have more luck with Cheerios.

Jeßus

Jul 27, 2016, 4:50:48 AM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 01:46:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>My wife wanted something to feed the chickens that run wild around here because little kids find that wildly amusing. She took out a baggie of Corn Chex cereal. She later said the chickens >weren't much interested. That's rather hard to believe.

Why? It isn't food, so why would they be interested.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 6:08:56 AM7/27/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Might depend on the bird. I have seen both ducks and other wild birds eat
popcorn. But when I put some out for the ducks that live at Olive Garden,
they wouldn't touch it. Neither would the birds or squirrels in my yard.

sf

Jul 27, 2016, 1:11:20 PM7/27/16
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 23:18:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
Throw it wherever you want. Mine would go into the garbage because I
don't want to attract rats, raccoons, possums etc.

--

sf

jinx the minx

Jul 27, 2016, 1:26:03 PM7/27/16
axlq <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> In the confusion from misplacing things in our home due to a
> reorganization of belongings, a nearly-full Costco-sized open box
> of Cheerios was hidden under something else. Thinking it had been
> consumed, we opened a SECOND huge box when my kid announced he
> wanted Cheerios for breakfast this morning. Then we discovered the
> already-open box.
>
> Both are fresh, but there's no way we'd consume all of those Cheerios
> before they go stale, so I'm wondering if there's something creative I
> can do. These are plain Cheerios, not honey-nut or other flavor.
>
> So I look online for recipes, and find that the Cheerios website
> actually has a page devoted to this: http://www.cheerios.com/recipes
>
> Not much there looks appetizing although some look interesting. Some
> seem as if they'd taste like sawdust, like the recipe about grinding
> Cheerios into flour to make pancakes (that's just weird, they start
> out as flour, and then you grind them back down? why not just
> buy some oat flour?). The lemon squares might be good. The pork
> meatballs are interesting but not practical if the Cheerios get
> disgustingly soggy -- anything I'd make would need to have a short
> shelf-life to consume as leftovers.
>
> Has anyone done anything interesting or tasty with Cheerios?

Depending on how young your kid is, give them to him for rainy day art
projects. Else I'd just go buy a bag of marshmallows and make Rice Krispie
treats with them.

--
jinx the minx

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 1:55:35 PM7/27/16
sf wrote:

> Throw it wherever you want. Mine would go into the garbage because I
> don't want to attract rats, raccoons, possums etc.

Come on...all of those animals are cute and friendly if you feed them.
Rats are supposedly friendly but my daughter's rat bit me...bastard
Raccoon are cool too except in Bothell.
Possums are super meek and friendly.
etc. animals have their good sides too. :)

Nancy Young

Jul 27, 2016, 2:31:55 PM7/27/16
On 7/27/2016 1:56 PM, Gary wrote:

> Possums are super meek and friendly.

I'm guessing you never caught one in a Havaheart trap.

Think pointy teeth and hissing fury. Scared the hell out
of me.

nancy

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 2:31:55 PM7/27/16
On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 10:50:48 PM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 01:46:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >My wife wanted something to feed the chickens that run wild around here because little kids find that wildly amusing. She took out a baggie of Corn Chex cereal. She later said the chickens >weren't much interested. That's rather hard to believe.
>
> Why? It isn't food, so why would they be interested.

And Vegemite is???

Cheri

Jul 27, 2016, 2:31:59 PM7/27/16

> Throw it wherever you want. Mine would go into the garbage because I
> don't want to attract rats, raccoons, possums etc.
>
> --
>
> sf

You have good sense in a city for sure.

Cheri

Cheri

Jul 27, 2016, 2:32:59 PM7/27/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5798F5EA...@att.net...
Baloney, raccoons, possum etc. can be very destructive.

Cheri

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 2:33:23 PM7/27/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 12:08:56 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsiyahoo.com> wrote in message
Animals iz the craziest people!

Cheri

Jul 27, 2016, 2:36:00 PM7/27/16

"Nancy Young" <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Yes, you are so right. I have used my Havaheart trap for possum, but haven't
had to in the past few years, thankfully.

Cheri

Cheri

Jul 27, 2016, 2:36:00 PM7/27/16

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 10:50:48 PM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 01:46:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >My wife wanted something to feed the chickens that run wild around here
> >because little kids find that wildly amusing. She took out a baggie of
> >Corn Chex cereal. She later said the chickens >weren't much interested.
> >That's rather hard to believe.
>
> Why? It isn't food, so why would they be interested.

And Vegemite is???

======

LOL

The Greatest!

Jul 27, 2016, 2:54:18 PM7/27/16
Yeah, possums are mean and ugly, they are the devil's spawn...!!!

--
Best
Greg

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 3:00:17 PM7/27/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 8:36:00 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1ahoo.com> wrote in message
Too early to play the Vegemite card? Perhaps. No matter, it's always a good move. :)

Cheri

Jul 27, 2016, 3:19:00 PM7/27/16

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 8:36:00 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1ahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 10:50:48 PM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 01:46:14 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >My wife wanted something to feed the chickens that run wild around here
> > >because little kids find that wildly amusing. She took out a baggie of
> > >Corn Chex cereal. She later said the chickens >weren't much interested.
> > >That's rather hard to believe.
> >
> > Why? It isn't food, so why would they be interested.
>
> And Vegemite is???
>
> ======
>
> LOL

Too early to play the Vegemite card? Perhaps. No matter, it's always a good
move. :)

======

Yes, never too early. :)

Cheri

sf

Jul 27, 2016, 3:59:46 PM7/27/16
I'll send my excess cheerios to you and you can scatter them all over
your balcony. :)

--

sf

Bruce

Jul 27, 2016, 5:01:28 PM7/27/16
In article <02f4384f-fcbc-4163...@googlegroups.com>,
dsi...@yahoo.com says...
It's like salt. A little bit's good, but any more is inedible.

Bruce

Jul 27, 2016, 5:02:40 PM7/27/16
In article <s67mz.1067059$jB.7...@fx34.am4>,
rjynlyo...@verizon.net says...
What would you do?

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 5:30:26 PM7/27/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 11:01:28 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> In article <02f4384f-fcbc-4163...@googlegroups.com>,
> dsi1yahoo.com says...
Those poor yeast cells. Barbaric, simply barbaric!

Bruce

Jul 27, 2016, 5:37:01 PM7/27/16
In article <8421893e-16c6-44c1...@googlegroups.com>,
dsi...@yahoo.com says...
It's full of umami. The Asian in you should like that!

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 5:50:55 PM7/27/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 11:37:01 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> In article <8421893e-16c6-44c1...@googlegroups.com>,
> dsi1yahoo.com says...
You got me there. :)

Jeßus

Jul 27, 2016, 6:15:19 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:31:50 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Is at least healthier than empty carbs and artificial flavours.
Personally I don't like Vegemite. Trust an intellectual giant such as
yourself to try to make it about nations when cereals are a worldwide
scourge.

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 6:25:09 PM7/27/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 12:15:19 PM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:31:50 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
Corn Chex: Worldwide Scourge? Evidently. :)

Brooklyn1

Jul 27, 2016, 6:34:37 PM7/27/16
Possums are very agressive, don't try to chase them when they're
eating cat food, they'll turn and chase you. They are definitely not
ascared of a broom. Skunks are worse, they'll stink up your deck so
bad you won't be able to go out for over a week, their stench will go
through your walls. It's best to let them eat until they leave.

Jeßus

Jul 27, 2016, 6:42:32 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:25:05 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Remind us of your health problems and diet :)

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 7:02:50 PM7/27/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 12:42:32 PM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:25:05 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi10yahoo.com>
That's none of your business you big goof! Who the hell do you think you are? :)

Jeßus

Jul 27, 2016, 7:49:56 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 16:02:43 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
Pretty much as I expected.

nancy young

Jul 27, 2016, 8:55:52 PM7/27/16
On 7/27/2016 5:02 PM, Bruce wrote:

> rjynlyo...@verizon.net says...
>>
>> On 7/27/2016 1:56 PM, Gary wrote:
>>
>>> Possums are super meek and friendly.
>>
>> I'm guessing you never caught one in a Havaheart trap.
>>
>> Think pointy teeth and hissing fury. Scared the hell out
>> of me.
>
> What would you do?

Well, I've startled opossums before, they just stood there
stock still for ages.

I would have liked that, so I'd have the nerve to get up to
the cage and open it.

nancy

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 10:15:08 PM7/27/16
Yes they can be destructive. A raccoon dragged Julies cat out of a
screened window and ate it.

All said though, those destructive animals can also be cool. No need to
just kill them if they show up. We humans are way too quick to move into
animal territory and then just kill them if they get in our way. They
were here first, ya know.

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 10:16:54 PM7/27/16
Definitely pointy teeth and hissing. I caught one in my screen porch
years ago. It scared me but it was only scared itself. I let it stay in
my screened porch and fed it for a few days. It mellowed and was
actually quite friendly. lol . I love animals. :)

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 10:21:37 PM7/27/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 1:49:56 PM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 16:02:43 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
Sorry I was not able to fulfill your creepy request. Better luck next time - but don't hold your breath. :)

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 10:23:19 PM7/27/16
I've seen the Youtube videos. Raccoons and possums are scary.

Jeßus

Jul 27, 2016, 11:28:33 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 19:21:33 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
Why is it creepy? Anyway, you've posted about it here previously.

>Better luck next time - but don't hold your breath. :)

The guy who says 'hee hee' all the time talks about being creepy.

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 11:57:58 PM7/27/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 5:28:33 PM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 19:21:33 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsiyahoo.com>
Creepy is a nosey busy-body that asks personal information of a stranger. I also have to wonder what kind of guy considers a breakfast cereal to be a worldwide scourge. A drama queen perhaps?

Hee hee.

Jeßus

Jul 28, 2016, 1:16:08 AM7/28/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 20:57:54 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
Now who would be a drama queen here, when somebody is getting
hysterical about somebody questioning their crap diet.

>Hee hee.

What, no smiley this time? We're nearly done then, this is the point
where you get all upset. Hee hee :)

Julie Bove

Jul 28, 2016, 1:41:46 AM7/28/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 23:18:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>

>> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

>> > When you're stuck with that amount of Cheerios, you learn to love it
>> > or throw it out.
>>
>> If I had extra of something like that, I might put a few out to see if
>> the
>> birds or squirrels would eat them. If they wouldn't, I'd probably just
>> get
>> rid of them. Cereal is usually cheap.
>
> Throw it wherever you want. Mine would go into the garbage because I
> don't want to attract rats, raccoons, possums etc.

I only put stuff out when I see an animal there.

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 2:31:51 AM7/28/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:57991512...@att.net...
I love animals too, in their own environment, not mine. I see a lot of dead
possums on the city streets around here at times, my other dog made short
work of the small ones, which was pretty sickening really. Yuck.

Cheri

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 2:34:57 AM7/28/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5799165C...@att.net...
I don't kill them and there is a whole lot of wild territory for them to
inhabit without coming to my small place. I do catch them in a Haveaheart
trap when necessary, but they haven't been around for several years now. I
blame one of my neighbors for feeding them though which caused them to stay
at the time.

Cheri

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 2:37:02 AM7/28/16

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Which would only encourage more to come.

Cheri

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 3:59:18 AM7/28/16
"Cheri" wrote in message news:nnc8q...@news3.newsguy.com...
-------------

Kinder to shoot them I suppose.

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 28, 2016, 6:50:27 AM7/28/16
I know Gary wouldn't do this, but my husband would stick the
Havahart trap with the possum still in it into a big container
of water. He'd rather shoot it with his .22 (which would be quicker
and thus more humane, but doesn't want to risk skipping a round off
into the neighborhood behind us.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 7:14:34 AM7/28/16
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
------------------

We have laws about shooting in built up areas. Do you have that or was it
his preference?

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

nancy young

Jul 28, 2016, 8:54:02 AM7/28/16
On 7/27/2016 2:35 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Nancy Young" <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On 7/27/2016 1:56 PM, Gary wrote:
>>
>>> Possums are super meek and friendly.
>>
>> I'm guessing you never caught one in a Havaheart trap.
>>
>> Think pointy teeth and hissing fury. Scared the hell out
>> of me.

> Yes, you are so right. I have used my Havaheart trap for possum, but
> haven't had to in the past few years, thankfully.

Our goal was to catch a groundhog. I don't want one of those in
my yard, they can do a number on your pool.

Did not expect to find a possum. I was afraid to open the
thing to let it out, would it attack me? I have a horror of
having to get rabies shots. Then it was in a sunny spot and it
was hot so I wanted to cover it.

It was a mess. And I learned that they aren't always shy.

nancy

nancy young

Jul 28, 2016, 8:56:45 AM7/28/16
On 7/27/2016 4:09 PM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> On 7/27/2016 1:56 PM, Gary wrote:
>>
>>> Possums are super meek and friendly.
>>
>> I'm guessing you never caught one in a Havaheart trap.
>>
>> Think pointy teeth and hissing fury. Scared the hell out
>> of me.
>
> Definitely pointy teeth and hissing. I caught one in my screen porch
> years ago. It scared me but it was only scared itself.

100% I know it was just scared. And scared animals (or people)
can be very dangerous. But I wasn't thinking I hate possums or
anything, I was just afraid of how aggressive it was.

> I let it stay in
> my screened porch and fed it for a few days. It mellowed and was
> actually quite friendly. lol . I love animals. :)

That I know.

nancy

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 9:00:27 AM7/28/16
"nancy young" wrote in message news:Gfnmz.29243$7L2....@fx19.iad...
---------------

Oh dear:( At least we don't have all those to put up with.

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

nancy young

Jul 28, 2016, 9:04:44 AM7/28/16
On 7/28/2016 6:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I know Gary wouldn't do this, but my husband would stick the
> Havahart trap with the possum still in it into a big container
> of water. He'd rather shoot it with his .22 (which would be quicker
> and thus more humane, but doesn't want to risk skipping a round off
> into the neighborhood behind us.

I haven't noticed that possums do anything that would
make me want to kill them. I know they're out there but I
don't see them.

I had a rabid skunk years ago. The cop that came was debating
whether to shoot it or not, but was afraid of the bullet hitting
the neighbor's house. The poor thing was so thin, I don't think
its body would have stopped a bullet.

He was finally able to roust the animal control guy from wherever
he was hiding and they used my cat carrying case to take it away.
They said I could pick up the case if I wanted it back. I said thanks,
it's all yours.

nancy

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 28, 2016, 9:15:39 AM7/28/16
Both, actually. He probably could get off a single shot without
anybody really noticing, but he knows it's just a bad idea.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 9:24:06 AM7/28/16
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
-----------

Ok:)
---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Dave Smith

Jul 28, 2016, 9:34:41 AM7/28/16
I am reminded of my wife's long time friend who told me about finding a
dead opossum in their patio and waiting for her husband to get home
from work to dispose of the carcass, but when he got home the deceased
had departed. She thought a neighbourhood dog had run off with it. She
didn't believe me when I suggested that it was "playing opossum", that
it had not really been dead.

The Greatest!

Jul 28, 2016, 9:35:00 AM7/28/16
Are we discussing some of our more "contentious" posters here, Ms. O...???

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Dave Smith

Jul 28, 2016, 9:41:03 AM7/28/16
Opossums were all but unheard of around here until about 40 years ago.
One scared the bejeepers out of me when I opened up the barn after it
had been closed up all winter. I slid the door open and say the biggest
damned rat ever and if it had been a rat and was still alive it could
have jumped up and bit my head off. As it turned out. It was a dead
opossum.

I have only seen two live opossums here. It was rooting around under the
bird feeder and it put on a pretty good show when I approached it. The
second one was crossing the road while I was on my way home late one
night. The road was covered with fresh snow. I braked to let him cross.
He made it to the other lane. Unfortunately, when I hit the brakes the
back end of my pickup swung to the left. I missed him with the front
tires, but the back tire got him. I do see a lot of opossum road kill.

Dave Smith

Jul 28, 2016, 9:49:52 AM7/28/16
On 2016-07-28 9:04 AM, nancy young wrote:
> On 7/28/2016 6:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I haven't noticed that possums do anything that would
> make me want to kill them. I know they're out there but I
> don't see them.

You don't have a chicken coop.

> I had a rabid skunk years ago. The cop that came was debating
> whether to shoot it or not, but was afraid of the bullet hitting
> the neighbor's house. The poor thing was so thin, I don't think
> its body would have stopped a bullet.

It is a small target, and after they kill it they have to dispose of the
carcass.
We had a bit of a horror story over a rabid animal last winter. Somebody
had called about a rabid coyote. The cop car came along and saw the
coyote and hit it with his cruiser. Then he got out and shot the
disabled animal. I can see two sides to it. Yes, it sounds like a cruel
and heartless way to put down a dangerous animal. OTOH, there was the
risk of a reportedly rabid coyote escaping into the neighbourhood. I
find it difficult to fault the cop for making a quick decision to remove
a thread to the community. Unfortunately, it turned out that the animal
that was struck and then shot was not a coyote. It was a very old, blind
dog that looked like a coyote and who had wandered away from the owner's
property.

nancy young

Jul 28, 2016, 10:12:57 AM7/28/16
On 7/28/2016 9:42 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-07-28 8:53 AM, nancy young wrote:

>> Did not expect to find a possum. I was afraid to open the
>> thing to let it out, would it attack me? I have a horror of
>> having to get rabies shots. Then it was in a sunny spot and it
>> was hot so I wanted to cover it.
>>
>> It was a mess. And I learned that they aren't always shy.

> Opossums were all but unheard of around here until about 40 years ago.
> One scared the bejeepers out of me when I opened up the barn after it
> had been closed up all winter. I slid the door open and say the biggest
> damned rat ever and if it had been a rat and was still alive it could
> have jumped up and bit my head off. As it turned out. It was a dead
> opossum.

Are you sure? (laugh) Was it there the next day?

I have a funny memory that is kind of a visual, but picture it.
My dog was barking after I'd let her out at night. I don't let my
dog just bark so I went to see what's up. On the fence was a
possum, frozen still with two legs in the air. I guess we startled
it when I let the dog out. It was so funny. I brought the dog in
and kept checking back. Their muscles must freeze, it stayed in that
position for a long time. Like it was walking along the top of the
fence and was hit by a freeze ray.

> I have only seen two live opossums here. It was rooting around under the
> bird feeder and it put on a pretty good show when I approached it. The
> second one was crossing the road while I was on my way home late one
> night. The road was covered with fresh snow. I braked to let him cross.
> He made it to the other lane. Unfortunately, when I hit the brakes the
> back end of my pickup swung to the left. I missed him with the front
> tires, but the back tire got him. I do see a lot of opossum road kill.

I rarely see them run over. It's raccoons here, and lots of deer.
Oposums are so slow, don't cross the road!

nancy

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 10:36:05 AM7/28/16
"The Greatest!" wrote in message
--------------------

LOL I must say it is tempting sometimes:))

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Dave Smith

Jul 28, 2016, 11:01:06 AM7/28/16
On 2016-07-28 10:12 AM, nancy young wrote:
> On 7/28/2016 9:42 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2016-07-28 8:53 AM, nancy young wrote:
>
>>> Did not expect to find a possum. I was afraid to open the
>>> thing to let it out, would it attack me? I have a horror of
>>> having to get rabies shots. Then it was in a sunny spot and it
>>> was hot so I wanted to cover it.
>>>
>>> It was a mess. And I learned that they aren't always shy.
>
>> Opossums were all but unheard of around here until about 40 years ago.
>> One scared the bejeepers out of me when I opened up the barn after it
>> had been closed up all winter. I slid the door open and say the biggest
>> damned rat ever and if it had been a rat and was still alive it could
>> have jumped up and bit my head off. As it turned out. It was a dead
>> opossum.
>
> Are you sure? (laugh) Was it there the next day?

Oh yes I am sure. I disposed of the frozen corpse.

> I have a funny memory that is kind of a visual, but picture it.
> My dog was barking after I'd let her out at night. I don't let my
> dog just bark so I went to see what's up. On the fence was a
> possum, frozen still with two legs in the air. I guess we startled
> it when I let the dog out. It was so funny. I brought the dog in
> and kept checking back. Their muscles must freeze, it stayed in that
> position for a long time. Like it was walking along the top of the
> fence and was hit by a freeze ray.

I tried to explain the concept to my wife's friend but I don't think she
believed me.

>> I have only seen two live opossums here. It was rooting around under the
>> bird feeder and it put on a pretty good show when I approached it. The
>> second one was crossing the road while I was on my way home late one
>> night. The road was covered with fresh snow. I braked to let him cross.
>> He made it to the other lane. Unfortunately, when I hit the brakes the
>> back end of my pickup swung to the left. I missed him with the front
>> tires, but the back tire got him. I do see a lot of opossum road kill.
>
> I rarely see them run over. It's raccoons here, and lots of deer.
> Oposums are so slow, don't cross the road!

There is lots of racoon road kill here. The speed limit on our road
used to be higher and there used to be quite a few deer hit. There are
still lots of them hit along the highway. One problem is that deer tend
to travel in groups and drivers may see one crossing and think it is
safe to proceed and then they hit the next one crossing. They can really
do a number on a car. I know several people who totalled their cars
hitting deer. One guy did it twice.

Brooklyn1

Jul 28, 2016, 11:12:00 AM7/28/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 23:36:18 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
With properly covered trash cans critters can't get in.

>> I only put stuff out when I see an animal there.

Critters are always there, they just don't want to be seen.

>Which would only encourage more to come.
>
>Cheri

Critters call to all their buddies, even tell them the menu.
Birds have excellent telescopic vision, they constantly scan for
food... you won't see them up in the tree tops but they will see you.
As soon as I toss out birdseed dozens of birds arrive instantly, and
ground critters watch and listen for the birds chattering and arrive
seconds later. There are dozens of crows in the tree tops a 1/4 mile
away, all I need do is open the sliders to my deck and they are there
on the ground looking at me... I have them well trained... they have
me well trained too. The crows get all the dried canned cat food
leavings, I soak the bowls to loosen the food and toss it out for the
crows, not a speck gets wasted. Crows eat everything, especially
carrion, they're first on the scene to clean up roadkill.

Gary

Jul 28, 2016, 11:14:46 AM7/28/16
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I know Gary wouldn't do this, but my husband would stick the
> Havahart trap with the possum still in it into a big container
> of water. He'd rather shoot it with his .22 (which would be quicker
> and thus more humane, but doesn't want to risk skipping a round off
> into the neighborhood behind us.

Oh dear lord. Are you kidding me? You catch it in an animal friendly
trap but then drown it? How unfriendly is that? I suppose that saves him
some gasoline money though. Use that for the lawnmower.

Imagine if that was a mother possum out to find food for her babies.
I've seen them in my yards in the past. I just leave them alone. Why
kill them?

At the very least why not do a catch and release? That *IS* the purpose
of those traps. You certainly must have some forest areas somewhere near
you where he could do that.

Death from drowning is fairly quick but google it and see what a victim
goes through. It's actually one of worst kinds of death from what I've
read. Google about opossums too and read how they are so mild and meek.
One in your yard might be an annoyance but certainly no threat. Let it
share your land.

Both of you be thankful that YOU aren't possums. geez.
You were just baiting me, weren't you. Ok...you won. I gave you the
emotional response. ;)

http://i64.tinypic.com/zl2kjl.jpg

Gary

Jul 28, 2016, 11:38:01 AM7/28/16
Ophelia wrote:

> I know Gary wouldn't do this, but my husband would stick the
> Havahart trap with the possum still in it into a big container
> of water. He'd rather shoot it with his .22 (which would be quicker
> and thus more humane, but doesn't want to risk skipping a round off
> into the neighborhood behind us.
>
> ------------------
>
> We have laws about shooting in built up areas. Do you have that or was it
> his preference?

That's your only concern with this story? ;o
In many usain states, call the game wardens when you catch a wild animal
in a Havahart trap. They will come pick it up, drive it out somewhere
and release it and even return your trap.

Top of the food chain animals kill for food and survival. Humans are
also top of the food chain animals in many cases but only WE kill for
sport or just because some other animal annoys us. How dare we? We
really aren't "all that." Hunt for food but let the other animals live.

Taxed and Spent

Jul 28, 2016, 11:42:14 AM7/28/16
it is not true that there are no animals other than humans that kill for
sport.

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 28, 2016, 11:49:04 AM7/28/16

"Nancy Young" wrote in message news:s67mz.1067059$jB.7...@fx34.am4...

On 7/27/2016 1:56 PM, Gary wrote:

>> Possums are super meek and friendly.

lol yeah right

>I'm guessing you never caught one in a Havaheart trap.

>Think pointy teeth and hissing fury. Scared the hell out
>of me.

>nancy

You're suppposed to throw a blanket over the trap ASAP to calm the animal
down.

However possums do hate a hissing sound, and when they used to get on my
porch at the old place scavenging the cat food, they would ignore me if I
went out on the porch, or just scoot under something. However I discovered
that if I made a nasty hissing sound, they would beat feet out of there in a
hurry.

MartyB

Gary

Jul 28, 2016, 12:00:38 PM7/28/16
nancy young wrote:

> Our goal was to catch a groundhog. I don't want one of those in
> my yard, they can do a number on your pool.

I'll send you a ferret, Nancy. :)

Speaking about groundhogs. The only wild ferrets are the Black footed
ferrets and they are endangered. Their main food source is groundhogs.
Well groundhogs are getting disease from fleas. It's killing them but
it's also killing the ferrets that eat them. US govt is spreading m&ms
with peanut butter and vaccine in the wild using drones. Groundhogs eat
them, stay healthy, then ferrets won't die by eating them. This is a
cool ferret win story, imo. :-D (you KNOW I like this one)

According to this one story (below) there are very few wild ferrets left
(300?) I don't think it's quite that bad but then maybe it is.

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/07/drones_to_shoot_mms_to_save_en.html

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 12:00:50 PM7/28/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:579A272E...@att.net...
Or drive it out yourself, since where I am they say you can't relocate the
animal and they won't either. You live in an apartment Gary, so I doubt that
squirrels in your attic doing damage, or raccoons and possum under the house
doing damage isn't a huge worry to you since you wouldn't be paying for the
pest damage or control. BTW, Ophelia didn't write the first post above,
Cheryl did.

Cheri

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 12:01:49 PM7/28/16

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
Sorry Cheryl, it was Cindy. :)

Cheri

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 12:01:50 PM7/28/16

"nancy young" <rjynlyn...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On 7/28/2016 6:50 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I know Gary wouldn't do this, but my husband would stick the
>> Havahart trap with the possum still in it into a big container
>> of water. He'd rather shoot it with his .22 (which would be quicker
>> and thus more humane, but doesn't want to risk skipping a round off
>> into the neighborhood behind us.
>>

> I haven't noticed that possums do anything that would
> make me want to kill them. I know they're out there but I
> don't see them.

Lucky you.

Cheri

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 12:02:21 PM7/28/16
"Gary" wrote in message news:579A272E...@att.net...

We shoot rabbits for pest control on a farm. They wreck the crops.

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 12:02:21 PM7/28/16
"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news:nnd94i$o83$1...@dont-email.me...
------------------------------

Agreed. For a start cats will kill just for sport.

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 12:05:51 PM7/28/16

"nancy young" <rjynlyn...@verizon.net> wrote in message
I don't hate them at all, just don't want them in my yard or under my house
having babies.

Cheri

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 12:10:53 PM7/28/16

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Critters call to all their buddies, even tell them the menu.
> Birds have excellent telescopic vision, they constantly scan for
> food... you won't see them up in the tree tops but they will see you.
> As soon as I toss out birdseed dozens of birds arrive instantly, and
> ground critters watch and listen for the birds chattering and arrive
> seconds later. There are dozens of crows in the tree tops a 1/4 mile
> away, all I need do is open the sliders to my deck and they are there
> on the ground looking at me... I have them well trained... they have
> me well trained too. The crows get all the dried canned cat food
> leavings, I soak the bowls to loosen the food and toss it out for the
> crows, not a speck gets wasted. Crows eat everything, especially
> carrion, they're first on the scene to clean up roadkill.

I used to have a pet bluejay that would always come to the patio table and
take peanuts from our hand. We have a pic of him sitting there with a tall
neck Budweiser next to him. My friends didn't care for the fact that he
would swoop in and startle them, but I loved that bird. I always give the
jays peanuts, but now that I don't smoke anymore, not on the patio much,
have never taken the time to tame one like "Blueboy" was. I hate crows and
don't encourage them.

Cheri

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 12:12:03 PM7/28/16
"Cheri" wrote in message news:nnda5...@news4.newsguy.com...
-------------

Oh thank you. I didn't see it. I have responded though

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Gary

Jul 28, 2016, 12:12:30 PM7/28/16
nancy young wrote:

> Did not expect to find a possum. I was afraid to open the
> thing to let it out, would it attack me? I have a horror of
> having to get rabies shots. Then it was in a sunny spot and it
> was hot so I wanted to cover it.
>
> It was a mess. And I learned that they aren't always shy.

As I said to Cindy. You caught the possum in a trap, You could have
called your city animal contacts and they would have sent someone out
for free to take it away. Yeah...caught in a trap, I'm sure it was mean
and mad and very scared.

Anyway about the rabies thing...saw on the news just this morning that
someone caught (?) a raccoon with rabies (?) only about 12 blocks from
my house. Never heard about that anywhere near me in 40-years until now.
scary.

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 12:13:58 PM7/28/16

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Yes, and on the National Geograpic Channel it showed whales killing seals
for sport.

Cheri

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 12:15:45 PM7/28/16
"Cheri" wrote in message news:nndau...@news4.newsguy.com...
------------

So it seems we are not alone!

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 12:17:00 PM7/28/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:579A2F43...@att.net...
If you see a raccoon acting really strange try to make friends with it Gary,
won't you at least try? After all it's not the raccoons fault it has rabies.
LOL

Cheri

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 12:17:15 PM7/28/16
"Ophelia" wrote in message news:dvupde...@mid.individual.net...
------------------------------------

I would like to clarify though. We don't kill for sport. Either for pest
control or for the table. I have no interest in killing just for the sake
of killing.

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 12:18:02 PM7/28/16

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Also, dogs kill cats for sport, not for food.

Cheri

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 12:18:52 PM7/28/16

> I would like to clarify though. We don't kill for sport. Either for pest
> control or for the table. I have no interest in killing just for the sake
> of killing.

Me either.

Cheri

It is loading more messages.