Dead Spread

Dave Smith

Oct 25, 2014, 6:36:51 PM10/25/14
I had to go to a funeral today ;-( Our neighbour's daughter died
after a 9 month battle with cancer. She had been our paper girl and
baby sitter. When our niece came to visit we hooked them up and they
became good friends and had kept in touch all these years.

The funeral service was for family and close friends only but was
followed by a memorial service. The family is Dutch and the service was
at a Christian Reformed church. Let me tell you.... I got holy rollered
today. I had expected the memorial service to last 20-30 minutes, not
an hour and a half. I had not expected preaching from her friends in
their testimonials. Then there was "the blessing" , holy cow... a fire
and brimstone sermon.

Finally, it was over. It was too late to attend the other function that
I had had to cancel when this funeral suddenly came up. The food was
simple. There were sandwiches made from fresh rolls, white or whole
wheat, and there was cheese or ham. I am not sure what kind of cheese it
was, but it was delicious. The ham was incredible. Everything was
simple but delicious. They also had platters of cookies and squares.

I don't spend enough time hanging out with Dutch people. At 6 feet, I am
not used to being below average height in a crowd.

Tara

Oct 25, 2014, 6:45:50 PM10/25/14
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Tara

sf

Oct 25, 2014, 8:53:40 PM10/25/14
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:36:46 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I had to go to a funeral today ;-( Our neighbour's daughter died
> after a 9 month battle with cancer. She had been our paper girl and
> baby sitter. When our niece came to visit we hooked them up and they
> became good friends and had kept in touch all these years.

How sad when someone so young dies.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Dave Smith

Oct 25, 2014, 9:00:29 PM10/25/14
On 2014-10-25 20:53, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:36:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> I had to go to a funeral today ;-( Our neighbour's daughter died
>> after a 9 month battle with cancer. She had been our paper girl and
>> baby sitter. When our niece came to visit we hooked them up and they
>> became good friends and had kept in touch all these years.
>
> How sad when someone so young dies.

Seems young, but she was 48. She was just a kid when we moved here. She
was always a very nice kid, and a nice woman, and really good looking.
She had pretty well been sent home to die 6 weeks ago and her parents
moved into her house to look after her.

Janet Wilder

Oct 25, 2014, 10:28:46 PM10/25/14
It's still too young to die.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Message has been deleted

Dave Smith

Oct 26, 2014, 8:34:38 AM10/26/14
On 2014-10-26 7:48 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>> How sad when someone so young dies.
>>>

>> Seems young, but she was 48. She was just a kid when we moved here. She
>> was always a very nice kid, and a nice woman, and really good looking.
>> She had pretty well been sent home to die 6 weeks ago and her parents
>> moved into her house to look after her.
>
> 48 is still way too young, I reckon some of ones best years are the
> 50s.

True. When I think back thee was a time when I though 48 was old.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 26, 2014, 9:52:41 AM10/26/14
On 10/26/2014 8:34 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> 48 is still way too young, I reckon some of ones best years are the
>> 50s.
>>

> True. When I think back thee was a time when I though 48 was old.

Around the 50's or 60's, the mortgage is paid, the kids are gone, your
health hopefully is still good. Yes, life is good. As I get closer to
70, I'm hoping it continues for a long time.

Gary

Oct 26, 2014, 10:17:24 AM10/26/14
Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2014-10-26 7:48 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> > 48 is still way too young, I reckon some of ones best years are the
> > 50s.

My best years were age 35-45 or so. My ex-witch divorced, caring for
my young daughter, got very healthy (running about 55 miles a week),
and actually getting more sex than I did when I was married. My golden
years. ;-D

> True. When I think back thee was a time when I though 48 was old.

I remember when I was 17 and I could not imagine living past age 25.
It just seemed so far away and foreign.

G.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 26, 2014, 11:32:58 AM10/26/14
On 10/26/2014 10:25 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> That's the trewth. When 17 I had a bad accident in Switzerland and
> after the ops on both knees were over I can see him now, the Swiss
> surgeon standing by the bed, shaking his finger and saying "You will
> be very, very sorry when you get to 40, these knees will really bother
> you" I lay thinking 40 ? 40? god I would rather be dead than that
> old! 40 came, it didn't feel that old but the knees did :) It's all
> a matter of perspective.

Well, 40 is old. I remember my parents were 40 and they were really
old. Not only were they old, they had no clue what the real world was
like All they had t worry about was a house and job, not things like a
math test on Friday.

Dave Smith

Oct 26, 2014, 2:21:31 PM10/26/14
On 2014-10-26 11:32 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Well, 40 is old. I remember my parents were 40 and they were really
> old. Not only were they old, they had no clue what the real world was
> like All they had t worry about was a house and job, not things like a
> math test on Friday.

I remember thinking that my father was pretty old when he turned 40. He
water skied for the first time. I thought that was a pretty good trick
for an old guy of 40. I took up downhill skiing when I was 43, and
equestrian jumping at 51.

Mark Thorson

Oct 27, 2014, 11:52:05 PM10/27/14
Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:36:46 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > I had to go to a funeral today ;-( Our neighbour's daughter died
> > after a 9 month battle with cancer. She had been our paper girl and
> > baby sitter. When our niece came to visit we hooked them up and they
> > became good friends and had kept in touch all these years.
> >
> > The funeral service was for family and close friends only but was
> > followed by a memorial service. The family is Dutch and the service was
> > at a Christian Reformed church. Let me tell you.... I got holy rollered
> > today. I had expected the memorial service to last 20-30 minutes, not
> > an hour and a half. I had not expected preaching from her friends in
> > their testimonials. Then there was "the blessing" , holy cow... a fire
> > and brimstone sermon.
> >
> > Finally, it was over. It was too late to attend the other function that
> > I had had to cancel when this funeral suddenly came up.
>
> Wow, Dave. I'm sorry that you to go through all that.
>
> You selfish asshole.

I can't imagine what prompted you to say that.

Actually, I can imagine, but none of the scenarios
are anything I would post.

Especially with regard to a recent death and funeral.
Message has been deleted

spamtr...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2014, 1:14:24 AM10/28/14
On Monday, October 27, 2014 8:59:21 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 20:51:09 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> Wow, Dave. I'm sorry that you to go through all that.
> >>
> >> You selfish asshole.
> >
> > I can't imagine what prompted you to say that.
>
> Listen to him bitch about how much he was put off and inconvenienced
> by this memorial service.
>
> Read it again, Mark. The guy is a complete asshole. This was just a
> platform for him to get all indignant again - disguised as a ham and
> cheese sandwich post. Oh, wait, there were cookies, too.

While I might be insensitive to tone over the internet, to me he
was simply recapping an experience that was unusual for him. The
service lasted much longer than he had expected, but he could not
leave in good conscience. These are just facts, as matter of
fact as the delicious sandwiches he was served.

The Dutch Reformed are Calvinists, who among other things believe in
reserving Sunday to religious and leisure pursuits.

sf

Oct 28, 2014, 2:21:11 AM10/28/14
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:14:20 -0700 (PDT), spamtr...@gmail.com
wrote:

> While I might be insensitive to tone over the internet, to me he
> was simply recapping an experience that was unusual for him. The
> service lasted much longer than he had expected, but he could not
> leave in good conscience. These are just facts, as matter of
> fact as the delicious sandwiches he was served.

Agree.

> The Dutch Reformed are Calvinists, who among other things believe in
> reserving Sunday to religious and leisure pursuits.

That too.