Supper 13 Oct 2023

Mike Duffy

Oct 13, 2023, 8:14:04 PM10/13/23
(All convection roasted or air-fried.)

topinambur, rutabaga, butternut squash, button mushrooms, Spam

Really nothing exceptional. I felt that it was time I
updated my web-site before I forget how:

http://mduffy.x10host.com/photogallery.htm#quickIDX4

Topinambur is how they label them here.
It is also known as 'Jerusalem Artichoke',
despite that it is not a type of artichoke
and did not originate in Jerusalem.

It is actually a type of sunflower from North America:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

GM

Oct 13, 2023, 9:01:49 PM10/13/23
Mike Duffy wrote:

> (All convection roasted or air-fried.)
>
> topinambur, rutabaga, butternut squash, button mushrooms, Spam
>
> Really nothing exceptional. I felt that it was time I
> updated my web-site before I forget how:
>
> http://mduffy.x10host.com/photogallery.htm#quickIDX4

"Visiting an untrustworthy website has been prevented

One or more of this website's certificates are invalid, so we can't guarantee its authenticity.

This happens when the website's owner hasn't updated the certificate in time, or if it's a
fake site created by scammers.

Visiting a website like this makes you more vulnerable to attack.

You were protected from visiting this website by Kaspersky security.

You can close this window with no risk..."

💀

--
GM

Bryan Simmons

Oct 13, 2023, 9:27:51 PM10/13/23
Sunchokes contain a lot of inulin. They are very fart
inducing if you eat a lot of them, but many probiotic
bacteria love inulin. I used to grow them.

--Bryan

GM

Oct 13, 2023, 9:32:46 PM10/13/23
How do we know that this is the ***real*** MIke Duffy, and not a
Intergalactic Disinformation Agent...???

--
GM

Thomas

Oct 13, 2023, 9:39:38 PM10/13/23
Licence is the giveaway.

Mike Duffy

Oct 13, 2023, 10:03:49 PM10/13/23
> Licence is the giveaway.

Please explain. What licence do you refer to.

GM

Oct 13, 2023, 10:18:00 PM10/13/23
"Take - away", no doubt...

--
GM

Michael Trew

Oct 13, 2023, 11:44:49 PM10/13/23
On 10/13/2023 9:01 PM, GM wrote:
> Mike Duffy wrote:
>>
>> I felt that it was time I
>> updated my web-site before I forget how:
>>
>> http://mduffy.x10host.com/photogallery.htm#quickIDX4
>
> "Visiting an untrustworthy website has been prevented
>
> One or more of this website's certificates are invalid, so we can't guarantee its authenticity.

Odd, I didn't see any error message.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 14, 2023, 12:21:58 AM10/14/23
Me, neither.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 14, 2023, 12:24:50 AM10/14/23
On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 7:14:04 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:

It was a very late lunch here of a Whopper and fries, thus no dinner. But I
did eat several large green olives a while ago and some egg nog ice cream.

Bruce

Oct 14, 2023, 12:26:36 AM10/14/23
I've grown them. They're a bit hard for the body to process -just like
salsify- because they contain inulin.

Mike Duffy

Oct 14, 2023, 12:30:27 AM10/14/23
On 2023-10-14, Michael Trew wrote:

> Odd, I didn't see any error message.

It likely has to do with my use of the older
HTTP vs. the newer HTTPS protocol. With the 'secure'
version, cryptographic certificates need to kept
up to date.

But since HTTP does use them at all, apparently
Kaspersky flags their lack as a security issue.

You probably don't notice because you're using
an older browser, or maybe no anti-virus?

GM

Oct 14, 2023, 2:10:54 AM10/14/23
On my tablet I am seeing:

"Sudbury is a One-Arch Town"

B-)

--
GM

GM

Oct 14, 2023, 2:18:58 AM10/14/23
On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 11:30:27 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
On my laptops I use Kaspersky...

But on my tablets I can see that you are the "real" Mike Duffy...

So you aren't the shape - shifting alien entity I initially thought you were...

--
GM

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 14, 2023, 4:38:03 AM10/14/23
On 2023-10-14, Mike Duffy <mxd...@bell.net> wrote:
> (All convection roasted or air-fried.)
>
> topinambur, rutabaga, butternut squash, button mushrooms, Spam
>
> Really nothing exceptional. I felt that it was time I
> updated my web-site before I forget how:
>
> http://mduffy.x10host.com/photogallery.htm#quickIDX4
>

> Topinambur is how they label them here.

You made me look it up. Looks like that's peculiar to Canada,
maybe as specific as Quebec.

> It is also known as 'Jerusalem Artichoke',
> despite that it is not a type of artichoke
> and did not originate in Jerusalem.
>
> It is actually a type of sunflower from North America:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

I think they've been calling them sunchokes lately. Marketing.

I've never been fond of them cooked. I'm pretty sure my first set
of in-laws added them to their Euell Gibbons' Crock. Since they
put it up in the late summer, they also added purslane.

https://treeandtwigheirlooms.blogspot.com/2010/09/brine-cured-dill-crock.html

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 14, 2023, 4:38:27 AM10/14/23
On 2023-10-14, Mike Duffy <mxd...@bell.net> wrote:
The spelling of "licence" rather than "license".

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 14, 2023, 4:40:57 AM10/14/23
On 2023-10-14, Mike Duffy <mxd...@bell.net> wrote:
Older browser, in Michael's case. He doesn't like new stuff, no matter
how risky the old stuff is.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 14, 2023, 4:42:06 AM10/14/23
I had a large lunch: a meatball sub (lamb and beef) at a local pub.
Dinner was just a salad; no protein on it.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Thomas

Oct 14, 2023, 6:13:19 AM10/14/23
Thank you.

Bruce

Oct 14, 2023, 6:27:53 AM10/14/23
On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 08:37:56 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2023-10-14, Mike Duffy <mxd...@bell.net> wrote:
>> (All convection roasted or air-fried.)
>>
>> topinambur, rutabaga, butternut squash, button mushrooms, Spam
>>
>> Really nothing exceptional. I felt that it was time I
>> updated my web-site before I forget how:
>>
>> http://mduffy.x10host.com/photogallery.htm#quickIDX4
>>

>> Topinambur is how they label them here.
>
>You made me look it up. Looks like that's peculiar to Canada,
>maybe as specific as Quebec.

I call them Jerusalem artichoke, but I knew the term topinambur.

Graham

Oct 14, 2023, 8:40:12 AM10/14/23
But was it for a noun or a verb?

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 14, 2023, 9:01:53 AM10/14/23
In the U.S., it doesn't matter.

--
Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Oct 14, 2023, 9:23:34 AM10/14/23
I didn't, either. The image was clear as day.

Jill

GM

Oct 14, 2023, 9:32:01 AM10/14/23
And Jill wonders why it's so easy to spoof her, lol...

--
GM

jmcquown

Oct 14, 2023, 9:41:29 AM10/14/23
Actually, Michael uses Duck Duck Go which is a fairly new browser add-on.

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 14, 2023, 9:49:03 AM10/14/23
On 10/14/2023 4:41 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-10-14, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 7:14:04 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
>>>
>>> (All convection roasted or air-fried.)
>>>
>>> topinambur, rutabaga, butternut squash, button mushrooms, Spam
>>>
>>> Really nothing exceptional. I felt that it was time I
>>> updated my web-site before I forget how:
>>>
>>> http://mduffy.x10host.com/photogallery.htm#quickIDX4
>>>
>> It was a very late lunch here of a Whopper and fries, thus no dinner. But I
>> did eat several large green olives a while ago and some egg nog ice cream.
>
> I had a large lunch: a meatball sub (lamb and beef) at a local pub.
> Dinner was just a salad; no protein on it.

For dinner I cooked a 1/4 lb. ground chuck burger in a small cast iron
skillet to med-rare, served on a lightly toasted then buttered
wholewheat burger bun. Had some waffle-cut fries to go with it. No
vegetables.

Jill

Mike Duffy

Oct 14, 2023, 10:14:37 AM10/14/23
The photo gallery is a series of unrelated photo groupings.

The new one at the end is less than one page high
as it is only one photo reduced to 1/8 pixel count.

The entry you mentioned is a series of larger photos.

The latest is titled:

"Supper Fri 13 oct 2023".

GM

Oct 14, 2023, 10:28:22 AM10/14/23
Wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious if Jill were to have a crippling stroke...???

Lol...!!!

O:-)

--
GM

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 14, 2023, 11:00:10 AM10/14/23
Duck Duck Go can be used standalone without installing an add-on.

https://duckduckgo.com/

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Oct 14, 2023, 11:03:46 AM10/14/23
That's true. In the English language the noun is spelt with a "c", but
in Murken it is "s" in nouns and verbs.

Michael Trew

Oct 14, 2023, 11:26:24 AM10/14/23
On 10/14/2023 4:40 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
It's actually a relatively recent version of Firefox on my computer.

For fun, I also have a Windows 98 laptop that sits beside my couch on a
small wooden table. An ancient browser is hacked to work with TLS
1.2/HTTPS on the web, but it's primary purpose is to play solitaire.

Janet

Oct 14, 2023, 11:27:37 AM10/14/23
In article <ugd59k$3m9ui$1...@dont-email.me>,
Br...@invalid.invalid says...
Which explains their common name here; fartichoke.

Janet UK

Mike Duffy

Oct 14, 2023, 11:53:19 AM10/14/23
On 2023-10-14, GM wrote:

> Wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious if Jill
> were to have a crippling stroke...???

Careful, Greg. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Tempt Fate at your own risk. That nursing job John
keeps harping about might be wiping your sorry ass.

GM

Gregory Morrow

Oct 14, 2023, 2:27:36 PM10/14/23
GM wrote:
> And Jill wonders why it's so easy for me to spoof her, lol...

DOH!
--
GM

Gregory Morrow

Oct 14, 2023, 2:28:43 PM10/14/23
jmcquown wrote:
> Actually, Michael uses Duck Duck Go which is a fairly new browser add-on.
>
> Jill

You certainly are a busy body.
--
GM

Bruce

Oct 14, 2023, 2:37:56 PM10/14/23
Unfortunately, Google search is a lot better.

Bruce

Oct 14, 2023, 2:38:50 PM10/14/23
Yes.

Leonard Blaisdell

Oct 15, 2023, 7:06:42 PM10/15/23
On 2023-10-14, Mike Duffy <mxd...@bell.net> wrote:
> On 2023-10-14, Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> Odd, I didn't see any error message.
>
> It likely has to do with my use of the older
> HTTP vs. the newer HTTPS protocol. With the 'secure'
> version, cryptographic certificates need to kept
> up to date.
>
> But since HTTP does use them at all, apparently
> Kaspersky flags their lack as a security issue.
>
> You probably don't notice because you're using
> an older browser, or maybe no anti-virus?

I ran a personal website from around 1998 to 2010. The only people who
knew it was there were family. It was HTTP and if still up would throw
the error messages that some people are seeing now.
I was leoblaisdell.com which is a dead link now.

Bruce

Oct 15, 2023, 7:21:01 PM10/15/23
On 15 Oct 2023 23:06:34 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<https://web.archive.org/web/20100514020508/http://www.leoblaisdell.com/>

bruce bowser

Oct 16, 2023, 6:11:39 AM10/16/23
A Google search machine gives you so much more, though.

Michael Trew

Oct 17, 2023, 10:30:30 AM10/17/23
On 10/15/2023 7:20 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2023 23:06:34 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>> I ran a personal website from around 1998 to 2010. The only people who
>> knew it was there were family. It was HTTP and if still up would throw
>> the error messages that some people are seeing now.
>> I was leoblaisdell.com which is a dead link now.
>
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20100514020508/http://www.leoblaisdell.com/>

Looks like your host kept it up until 2016 or so.

cshenk

Oct 17, 2023, 3:45:06 PM10/17/23
I'm still up and running under BinkP and telnet. Telnet using port 24
to shenks.dyndns.org or shenks.synchro.net. That will take you to the
BBS. The server machine is beside it and is 1 of 5 systems worldwide
that handle BBS messsages and file traffic in a peering setup.

bruce bowser

Oct 17, 2023, 4:44:16 PM10/17/23
But, whole wheat is close enough to being a vegetable.

Michael Trew

Oct 17, 2023, 9:46:22 PM10/17/23
"So sayeth the Bowser"

Grain, vegetable, what's the difference?? ;)

Bruce

Oct 17, 2023, 9:49:14 PM10/17/23
There's nobody home upstairs with Bowser.

Leonard Blaisdell

Oct 18, 2023, 5:03:31 PM10/18/23
On 2023-10-15, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

><https://web.archive.org/web/20100514020508/http://www.leoblaisdell.com/>

Well I'll be damned. Thanks, Bruce! :)
At some point, I had this as my title photo.

<https://postimg.cc/FfX4CPSg>

I drew it myself! Ah, the olden times.

Thanks again! I still have all the markup, CSS, Perl scripts, etc.
somewhere on my computer, but I have forgotten how to do everything.
I used to be quite the denizen of alt.html.

jmcquown

Oct 18, 2023, 5:29:12 PM10/18/23
LOL, Michael!

Jill

songbird

Oct 18, 2023, 7:28:35 PM10/18/23
Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> I drew it myself! Ah, the olden times.
>
> Thanks again! I still have all the markup, CSS, Perl scripts, etc.
> somewhere on my computer, but I have forgotten how to do everything.
> I used to be quite the denizen of alt.html.

oh, wow, i got away from doing hand coding of html as
soon as i could find a reasonable static website
generator. now they're even more spiffy and all sorts
of them including various themes.

songbird

Bruce

Oct 18, 2023, 7:58:53 PM10/18/23
On Wed, 18 Oct 2023 17:28:43 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Jill, it's about time again for a "LOL, Ed!" You're neglecting him
lately.

Michael Trew

Oct 19, 2023, 8:08:39 AM10/19/23
On 10/18/2023 5:03 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2023-10-15, Bruce<Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> <https://web.archive.org/web/20100514020508/http://www.leoblaisdell.com/>

Your eldest granddaughter graduated the same year that I did. Sorry, haha

> Thanks again! I still have all the markup, CSS, Perl scripts, etc.
> somewhere on my computer, but I have forgotten how to do everything.
> I used to be quite the denizen of alt.html.

I used to manage a couple of personal websites, but I don't even
remember what the domains were.