Convection cooking

Rick Daly

Nov 25, 2015, 1:16:02 PM11/25/15
I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan for
convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time directions
in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
using the fan? Thanks.

Hidalgo

Nov 25, 2015, 1:55:33 PM11/25/15
It's not a bad idea to go about 10-20 degrees under what is suggested,
and watch the time too.

notbob

Nov 25, 2015, 2:00:54 PM11/25/15
On 2015-11-25, Rick Daly <rfd...@optonline.net> wrote:

> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
> with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
> using the fan? Thanks.

Yes.

A fan in a convection oven does two things. It circulates the oven
temps more evenly so there are no hot-spots and it increases the temp
over what it would be if the fan were not turned on. The commercial
convection ovens we used in our little cooking school would increase
the real-life oven temperature by 50 deg F. So, an un-fanned temp of
300 deg F would increase to 350 deg F when the fan was switched on. I
cannot tell you what yer convection temp should be in yer particular
device, but it should be higher than when the fan is not on.

nb

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 25, 2015, 2:12:35 PM11/25/15
On 11/25/2015 1:15 PM, Rick Daly wrote:
> I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan for
> convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time directions
> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first experience
> with convection cooking. Am I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
> using the fan? Thanks.

The old rule I've seen is the 25-25. Lower the temperature 25 degrees
and cut the time by 25%.

The advantages of convection cooking is more even coking and faster
times. I prefer to cut the time and not the temperature, but YMMV with
different items.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 25, 2015, 2:31:12 PM11/25/15
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 13:15:55 -0500, Rick Daly <rfd...@optonline.net>
wrote:
Did you read the handbook ? You can use a lower temp and fan or fan,
high temp and far shorter time. Usually the book will give you
suggested times/temps

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:16:10 PM11/25/15
"My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me."

Casa Boner, Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:37:53 -0600
--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:16:47 PM11/25/15
On 11/25/2015 11:55 AM, Hidalgo wrote:
> Rick Daly wrote:
>> I bought a new toaster ove a while back. It's a Breville and has a fan
>> for
>> convection cooking. A few things I've baked in it using the temp/time
>> directions
>> in the recipe seemed to come out slightly overdone. This is my first
>> experience
>> with convection cooking. Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps
>> when
>> using the fan? Thanks.

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:18:33 PM11/25/15

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:20:07 PM11/25/15

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:21:13 PM11/25/15

Dave Smith

Nov 25, 2015, 5:20:06 PM11/25/15
RTFM ;-)

pltrgyst

Nov 25, 2015, 9:41:52 PM11/25/15
Most modern convection ovens automatically reduce the temperature by 25
degrees F when using induction. Check your manual...

-- Larry

sf

Nov 26, 2015, 12:51:10 AM11/26/15
What on earth are you two nattering about now? This is the perfect
example of why groups should be moderated.

Nunya Bidnits

Nov 26, 2015, 6:12:27 PM11/26/15

"Rick Daly" wrote in message

> Amd I supposed to be adjusting times or temps when
using the fan? Thanks.

Yes.
http://www.had2know.com/culinary/conventional-oven-convection-conversion-calculator.php

Groupkilla

Nov 26, 2015, 6:18:32 PM11/26/15
Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Yes.

"I received numerous emails from Marty Bodine. I ignored them all
because they don't make sense." -The late Alexander Bartolich (founder
of Albasani.net)