Can you smell when pasta is done?

Julie Bove

Aug 19, 2020, 6:27:57 AM8/19/20
For as long as I can remember, I could tell when cookies were done by the
smell. As the years went by, I could tell this with other foods such as
potatoes and other baked goods.

I just boiled some whole wheat spaghetti but failed to set the timer. I
normally set it for one minute less than is called for on the package (the
lower number) because I like it quite al dente.

I stuck close to the stove. Tested it once. Not done.

Turned my back to do something at the sink and smelled it. It was done! I
immediately shut off the heat, tasted it and...perfect!

This is a first. But I'm very happy that I've acquired this skill.

Mike Duffy

Aug 19, 2020, 8:46:26 AM8/19/20
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 03:27:38 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> I'm very happy that I've acquired this skill.

My aunt throws a piece against the wall. If it sticks, it is done.

Of course, followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster treat this as a
desecrating sacrilege, because spaghetti can fly on its own volition.

Halenoodlia.

Gary

Aug 19, 2020, 9:00:45 AM8/19/20
You lucked out, Julie. You had already tasted it and
knew it was almost done. Time your pasta.
And make your own mayo.

dsi1

Aug 19, 2020, 12:43:13 PM8/19/20
If you're Japanese or Korean, you just cook noodles by the time that's printed on the package. My guess is that they'll test the noodles for al dente if they're cooking spaghetti or Italian pasta but not if it's ramen or udon.

Here's some music by Shiina Ringo about the things one might contemplate when cooking ramen. Conveniently, this tune can be used as a timer to cook the perfect bowl of ramen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28uWiQ_Q5LY

Sheldon Martin

Aug 19, 2020, 1:46:47 PM8/19/20
On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 03:27:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
I bet you can sniff when your gardner's noodle is at it's ripest al
dente before buzzing him in. LOL

Hank Rogers

Aug 19, 2020, 2:44:05 PM8/19/20
Yoose horny again Popeye?

Julie Bove

Aug 19, 2020, 6:36:56 PM8/19/20

"Mike Duffy" <bo...@nosuch.com> wrote in message
I tried that years ago. Not very reliable and it doesn't always stick.

Julie Bove

Aug 19, 2020, 6:39:09 PM8/19/20

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5F3D2239...@att.net...
I can't make my own mayo. I only use a little bit at a time. As I said
prior, vegan mayo requires odd ingredients not readily available and it
doesn't keep.

Julie Bove

Aug 19, 2020, 6:41:23 PM8/19/20

"dsi1" <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote in message
My gardener listens to that stuff. Not really my thing.

dsi1

Aug 19, 2020, 11:54:09 PM8/19/20
You don't really have to listen to it. Mostly, it's useful for cooking a package of ramen perfectly.

Julie Bove

Aug 20, 2020, 1:42:15 AM8/20/20

"dsi1" <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote in message
He does cook pasta. Just not Ramen.

bruce bowser

Aug 20, 2020, 7:46:38 AM8/20/20
Ramen is good with most any kind of cheese. Also with steamed hamburger patties.

Pamela

Aug 20, 2020, 8:51:52 AM8/20/20
I thought your gardener had left.

Gary

Aug 20, 2020, 10:50:23 AM8/20/20
I time my noodles then
I test my spaghetti noodles by tasting them. Tossing one against
a wall to see if it sticks sounds really stupid to me and
probably a myth that some people actually believe.

Note: an overcooked noodle will stick to the wall too.

jmcquown

Aug 20, 2020, 11:37:51 AM8/20/20
There are many other brands of vegan mayo you could try. You're just
insist you won't like them.

As for "smelling the pasta", I doubt it. It's not a "skill".

Jill

Ophelia

Aug 20, 2020, 3:15:37 PM8/20/20

"dsi1" wrote in message
> [...]
===

LOL

Sheldon Martin

Aug 20, 2020, 3:27:18 PM8/20/20
I'l bet Julie loves her gardeners freshly made creamy dreamy mayo.

Julie Bove

Aug 20, 2020, 6:35:12 PM8/20/20

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
I *have* trird them.There are not *many* in this area. As I said before,
they break downand become watery. They might be okay to use on a sandwich to
be eaten immediatly. But wait 20 minutes and you have soggy bread. In a cold
salad such as tuna or potato, they leave a watery mess at the bottom of the
bowl and there is nothing to hold the salad together.

> As for "smelling the pasta", I doubt it. It's not a "skill".

I think it is and it woke me up today. my gardener was cooking pasta and
walked off. I shut the heat off for him.

Julie Bove

Aug 20, 2020, 6:35:57 PM8/20/20

"bruce bowser" <bruce2...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ramen is good with most any kind of cheese. Also with steamed hamburger
> patties.

I highly doubt that.

Julie Bove

Aug 20, 2020, 6:36:27 PM8/20/20

"Pamela" <pamela...@gmail.com> wrote in message
He did. And now he's back.

dsi1

Aug 20, 2020, 7:15:41 PM8/20/20
On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 1:46:38 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> Ramen is good with most any kind of cheese. Also with steamed hamburger patties.

I predict that in the future, cheese ramen is going to be hot! I eating some right now. Well, I would be if I could...

jmcquown

Aug 20, 2020, 7:24:00 PM8/20/20
On 8/20/2020 6:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On 8/19/2020 6:38 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message

>> As for "smelling the pasta", I doubt it.  It's not a "skill".
>
> I think it is and it woke me up today. my gardener was cooking pasta and
> walked off. I shut the heat off for him.

Oh, here comes the gardener again. Now *he* was cooking the pasta and
he walked off. Sounds like a terribly irresponsible person. I sure as
hell wouldn't let him anywhere near my kitchen.

What you likely smelled was the water boiling out of the pot. You're
lucky you woke up before it boiled away and destroyed the pot and the
burner on your new stove. Use a TIMER! It's not difficult. Set it and
beep beep beep, okay, time to drain the pasta.

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 20, 2020, 7:43:23 PM8/20/20
Well there goes dsi1 again trying to turn a whole wheat spaghetti thread
into a Ramen noodle thread with a stupid Youtube link.

Hey, dsi1/David! I grew up listening to music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fri9uvKrVAE

My father gave me that record when I was 5 years old. I know all the
lyrics. Surprising, neh?

Jill

Bruce

Aug 20, 2020, 7:50:42 PM8/20/20
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 19:43:16 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
The first thing I hear is the pain of a woman with tied off feet.

dsi1

Aug 20, 2020, 7:55:46 PM8/20/20
Here's a couple of gals from my high school. They went to Japan and became recording artists. Surprising, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlWM_J8LE4M

dsi1

Aug 20, 2020, 7:56:43 PM8/20/20
That's the nuttiest thing I ever heard.

Bruce

Aug 20, 2020, 7:59:14 PM8/20/20
That's terrible :) They make the Carpenters sound like a hard rock
band.

dsi1

Aug 20, 2020, 8:55:36 PM8/20/20
Who cares what they sound like - they're 60's babes. As we all know, 60's babes are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udvUM7iQz-g

Hank Rogers

Aug 20, 2020, 11:08:53 PM8/20/20
Reminds yoose of them pineapples Popeye?

Hank Rogers

Aug 20, 2020, 11:12:57 PM8/20/20
<*SNIFF*>

Hank Rogers

Aug 20, 2020, 11:44:07 PM8/20/20
Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

Julie Bove

Aug 21, 2020, 4:20:24 AM8/21/20

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Based on things you've said, I doubt that you'd let anyone near your
kitchen! I have new pots and pans for my use only. If he burns the crap out
of my old ones? Oh well. He can do without or buy his own.

> What you likely smelled was the water boiling out of the pot. You're
> lucky you woke up before it boiled away and destroyed the pot and the
> burner on your new stove. Use a TIMER! It's not difficult. Set it and
> beep beep beep, okay, time to drain the pasta.

No. I didn't smell the water boiling out. A timer would do no good if he's
going to walk off. And yes, I have told him not to walk off.

Gary

Aug 21, 2020, 7:22:53 AM8/21/20
jmcquown wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> > I think it is and it woke me up today. my gardener was cooking pasta and
> > walked off. I shut the heat off for him.
>
> Oh, here comes the gardener again. Now *he* was cooking the pasta and
> he walked off. Sounds like a terribly irresponsible person. I sure as
> hell wouldn't let him anywhere near my kitchen.
>
> What you likely smelled was the water boiling out of the pot. You're
> lucky you woke up before it boiled away and destroyed the pot and the
> burner on your new stove. Use a TIMER! It's not difficult. Set it and
> beep beep beep, okay, time to drain the pasta.

Don't forget to throw a strand against the wall first.

Gary

Aug 21, 2020, 7:27:16 AM8/21/20
Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote:
> > Oh, here comes the gardener again. Now *he* was cooking the pasta and he
> > walked off. Sounds like a terribly irresponsible person. I sure as hell
> > wouldn't let him anywhere near my kitchen.
>
> Based on things you've said, I doubt that you'd let anyone near your
> kitchen!

Buffy isn't allowed in Jill's kitchen. She's told us that.

> I have new pots and pans for my use only. If he burns the crap out
> of my old ones? Oh well. He can do without or buy his own.
> >
> > What you likely smelled was the water boiling out of the pot. You're
> > lucky you woke up before it boiled away and destroyed the pot and the
> > burner on your new stove. Use a TIMER! It's not difficult. Set it and
> > beep beep beep, okay, time to drain the pasta.
>
> No. I didn't smell the water boiling out. A timer would do no good if he's
> going to walk off. And yes, I have told him not to walk off.

Time to lose the gardener, Jules. Nothing but trouble with goats.

And still another Princess vs Princess post.
Kinda reminds me of the old Mad magazine cartoons... Spy vs Spy
heheh

songbird

Aug 21, 2020, 8:54:10 AM8/21/20
Julie Bove wrote:
> No. I didn't smell the water boiling out. A timer would do no good if he's
> going to walk off. And yes, I have told him not to walk off.

why in the world would you let him back in your
house at all?

songbird

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 21, 2020, 12:27:23 PM8/21/20
That does not work. I grilled hamburgers and threw them against the
wall and none stuck even when well done. Tonight I'll try it with pork
chops.

Ophelia

Aug 21, 2020, 12:41:26 PM8/21/20

"dsi1" wrote in message
=====

Beautiful!! I would love to see some more of them again :)))

Ophelia

Aug 21, 2020, 12:44:49 PM8/21/20

"Bruce" wrote in message news:1h3ujf5d146344hc7...@4ax.com...
=====

They are beautiful are not they:)

Ophelia

Aug 21, 2020, 12:48:13 PM8/21/20

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:rho044$oj$1...@dont-email.me...
===

lol

jmcquown

Aug 21, 2020, 1:17:22 PM8/21/20
Let me know how that works, Ed. I'm thinking of making pork chops
tomorrow. :)

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 21, 2020, 1:45:34 PM8/21/20
I believe she thinks she's being magnanimous.

Jill

Julie Bove

Aug 21, 2020, 7:09:36 PM8/21/20

"songbird" <song...@anthive.com> wrote in message
I had no choice and I'm not getting into that here. Let's just say this
state is very left leaning and leave it at that.

Mike Duffy

Aug 21, 2020, 7:34:24 PM8/21/20
On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 13:17:14 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> Let me know how that works, Ed. I'm thinking of making pork chops
> tomorrow. :)

It should be easier than catching them on your spiked helmet whilst
riding a unicycle:

https://www.wheresidewalksend.com/ka-tron-flying-chicken-bangkok

jmcquown

Aug 21, 2020, 7:46:57 PM8/21/20
On 8/21/2020 7:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "songbird" <song...@anthive.com> wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> No. I didn't smell the water boiling out. A timer would do no good if
>>> he's
>>> going to walk off. And yes, I have told him not to walk off.
>>
>>  why in the world would you let him back in your
>> house at all?
>
> I had no choice

Really? No choice in letting someone who broke your oven door,
allegedly stole toilet paper from your garage, brought in a girlfriend
who you didn't like who didn't like you into your house. No choice?
You do *own* that house, don't you? That gives you plenty of rights.

> and I'm not getting into that here. Let's just say this
> state is very left leaning and leave it at that.

The "left leaning state" has no right to tell you he has to stay there.
Ever heard of a "quit claim"? It's a notice of eviction.

I've never heard a thing about him contributing anything towards your
household. It's so much more dramatic to let him stay there. You even
wrote you don't mind if he ruins your old pots and pans and he won't
listen if you tell him to set a timer.

I think you're terrified to live alone.

Jill

Daniel

Aug 22, 2020, 2:00:14 AM8/22/20
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> writes:

> For as long as I can remember, I could tell when cookies were done by
> the smell. As the years went by, I could tell this with other foods
> such as potatoes and other baked goods.
>
> I just boiled some whole wheat spaghetti but failed to set the
> timer. I normally set it for one minute less than is called for on the
> package (the lower number) because I like it quite al dente.
>
> I stuck close to the stove. Tested it once. Not done.
>
> Turned my back to do something at the sink and smelled it. It was
> done! I immediately shut off the heat, tasted it and...perfect!
>
> This is a first. But I'm very happy that I've acquired this skill.

It never crossed my mind to 'smell' for done-ness with pasta. I usually
gauge it by the way it looks and floats in the water. The taste test
works. My ex would throw it against the back splash and if it stuck it
was ready.

I prefer to taste it.

But then, I make my own pasta most the time so it's usually pretty
quick. Now that I think about it, I do smell my pasta but it was
unconscience until now. When it's homemade you can still smell the flour
if it's not cooked. So yeah...

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Gary

Aug 22, 2020, 7:02:28 AM8/22/20
Is it the current Covid thing? Landlords are not allowed to
evict tenants for now due to not paying rent and maybe not
for any reason.

Julie Bove

Aug 22, 2020, 7:29:13 PM8/22/20

> On 8/21/2020 7:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "songbird" <song...@anthive.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> why in the world would you let him back in your
>>> house at all?
>>
>> I had no choice
>
> Really? No choice in letting someone who broke your oven door, allegedly
> stole toilet paper from your garage, brought in a girlfriend who you
> didn't like who didn't like you into your house. No choice? You do *own*
> that house, don't you? That gives you plenty of rights.
>
>> and I'm not getting into that here. Let's just say this state is very
>> left leaning and leave it at that.
>
> The "left leaning state" has no right to tell you he has to stay there.
> Ever heard of a "quit claim"? It's a notice of eviction.

No it's not. My ex quit claimed my house to me. He was an owner.

Evicitons are not allowed right now. They keep changing the date as to when
they will be. The courts are not open for things like that so we can't even
file. We are all to stay where we are.

ve never heard a thing about him contributing anything towards your
> household. It's so much more dramatic to let him stay there. You even
> wrote you don't mind if he ruins your old pots and pans and he won't
> listen if you tell him to set a timer.
>
> I think you're terrified to live alone.

Bullshit. I lived alone for many years and also when he wasn't here. He
doesn't live in this house and most of the time now he's not even on this
property.

If he were to set a time, I'd have to listen to the beeping. I can't explain
some of the things he does that make no sense. And I have better things to
do than to try to figure them out.

Julie Bove

Aug 22, 2020, 7:33:24 PM8/22/20

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5F40FB49...@att.net...
Yes. Courts are closed and evictions are not allowed. We're already overrun
with homeless and they are trying to make sure we don't get any more. Things
are very bad here with so many people unable to work due to restrictions.
Many businesses have just had to close because they can't wait around to see
when or if they'll be allowed to reopen. Many people are starving and the
regulations are leading to stupidity. Crops can't be picked or transported
so the food is rotting while people are starving. There will be a revolt
here. People are fed up!

Hank Rogers

Aug 22, 2020, 7:35:45 PM8/22/20
Have you tried pointing a shotgun at him and politely asking him to
leave? I bet he would leave.

Bruce

Aug 22, 2020, 7:37:27 PM8/22/20
I'd rather be fed up than lay in a hospital bed gasping for air.

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 22, 2020, 8:27:17 PM8/22/20
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 16:33:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

I believe the no eviction rule in place at the current time
nationally. The time ran out on that and the republicans (right wing)
won't go forward with new rules.
How come you are explaining your situation as though you don't live in
the US with the rest of us. We all are experiencing the same thing --
even most of the world is.
Janet US

songbird

Aug 22, 2020, 9:07:26 PM8/22/20
Julie Bove wrote:
> when or if they'll be allowed to reopen. Many people are starving and the
> regulations are leading to stupidity. Crops can't be picked or transported
> so the food is rotting while people are starving. There will be a revolt
> here. People are fed up!

i don't see anything in the news about anyone starving.

around here they are saying they're going to harvest 22.5 million
bushels of apples this year. pretty much the same as last year.

the previous trips to the store i didn't see many more skinny
people either. the usual chubby folks walking around buying junk
food.

songbird

Bruce

Aug 22, 2020, 9:09:15 PM8/22/20
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 20:47:08 -0400, songbird <song...@anthive.com>
wrote:
Ah yes, the fast food hippos!

Hank Rogers

Aug 22, 2020, 10:29:09 PM8/22/20
And to top all this woe off, many can't even buy vegan mayo!

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2020, 12:47:00 AM8/23/20

"Hank Rogers" <Nos...@invalid.com> wrote in message
I don't have a shotgun, nor can I get one. Fingerprints are required for gun
permits and due to Covid, fingerprints are deemed dangerous.

My dad had a BB gun. I was banned from using after shooting little holes all
around the target he put up on the closet door. The target had a lot of
cardboard behind it. The places I hit did not. And yes, I was aiming at the
danged bulls eye. I can't play darts either.

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2020, 12:51:25 AM8/23/20

"Bruce" <br...@null.null> wrote in message
They're fed up because they're starving. The food banks don't have enough
food. One of my friends made up boxes of food and was handing them out to
anyone who showed up. I donate to the food bank when I can. But given all
the rules that they have now, certain things like bulk beans and rice can
not be given out. And the locations that used to allow people to shop, can
no longer do that. Everyone is given a box, but that box my or may not
contain food suitable for their family. Some places just resumed meal
delivery such as meals on wheels, but only some.

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2020, 12:55:24 AM8/23/20

"U.S. Janet B." <J...@nospam.com> wrote in message
I have friends in other areas and the rules are not the same. My friend in
Chicago said everything is open again. Business as usual.

I don't know of a national eviction rule. I don't watch TV or the news. I
hear the local news and the press releases from our local authorities and
our Governor is the one enforcing things here. We have to wear a mask at all
times, even outdoors. I know other areas are not required to do that.

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2020, 1:07:38 AM8/23/20

"songbird" <song...@anthive.com> wrote in message
I don't know where you live. Many businesses here are still shut down,
people are still out of work and due to the 35 million dollars that was
given to Nigerian scammers, many people that should have been given
unemployment, didn't get a dime. The government lied and said all were paid.
Bull. Yes, there is an investigation.

Most of our cherry crop never made it to market.

Most people here have put on weight because they're eating crap now instead
of healthy food. Our diet has changed. Because I'm only supposed to shop
once every two weeks, I'm buying much less fresh produce. Good, fresh meat
is often not available. There were slim pickin's on the lunch meat at the
Walmart Neighborhood Market. We've been eating less meat. Most of the meat I
have been buying is precooked, Hormel or Del Real. Why? It's available.
Justin is eating mostly cold cereal, pasta with Parmesan and canned
vegetables. No, not all mixed together. We don't normally eat cereal. I've
been trying to eat some but I don't like it very much, nor is it good for a
diabetic. Cheese is now our main source of protein. I can always find that
but it might not be the kind I want.

My shopping now in no way shape or form is like it used to be. I order what
I can online, and when in the store, I grab what I can find.

We have lost weight. I've been working out a lot. He's just getting a lot of
physical labor type work.

I don't bring much home in the way of junk food. If I don't buy it, we can't
eat it.

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2020, 1:10:30 AM8/23/20

"Bruce" <br...@null.null> wrote in message
I heard on the radio that people are treating this as a vacation and on a
vacation, all rules fly out the window.

This concept makes no sense to me. I hate eating crap food. it makes me feel
lousy, so I just don't eat it. I do get tacos from time to time. No, not
Taco Bell with their beef enhanced with oats. Yick.

Bruce

Aug 23, 2020, 1:21:53 AM8/23/20
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 22:10:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Bruce" <br...@null.null> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 20:47:08 -0400, songbird <song...@anthive.com>
>> wrote:

>>> i don't see anything in the news about anyone starving.
>>>
>>> around here they are saying they're going to harvest 22.5 million
>>>bushels of apples this year. pretty much the same as last year.
>>>
>>> the previous trips to the store i didn't see many more skinny
>>>people either. the usual chubby folks walking around buying junk
>>>food.
>>
>> Ah yes, the fast food hippos!
>
>I heard on the radio that people are treating this as a vacation and on a
>vacation, all rules fly out the window.

Yes, corona fatties. People also eat out of boredom, I guess. I'd love
it if I had an office job and could now work from home. Anyway, I was
already working from home and nothing has changed.

Roy

Aug 23, 2020, 5:56:17 AM8/23/20
On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 4:27:57 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> For as long as I can remember, I could tell when cookies were done by the
> smell. As the years went by, I could tell this with other foods such as
> potatoes and other baked goods.
>
> I just boiled some whole wheat spaghetti but failed to set the timer. I
> normally set it for one minute less than is called for on the package (the
> lower number) because I like it quite al dente.
>
> I stuck close to the stove. Tested it once. Not done.
>
> Turned my back to do something at the sink and smelled it. It was done! I
> immediately shut off the heat, tasted it and...perfect!
>
> This is a first. But I'm very happy that I've acquired this skill.

And it only took fifty years to acquire this "so-called" skill...way to go Julie.
====

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 23, 2020, 6:53:13 AM8/23/20
On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 12:47:00 AM UTC-4, juli...@frontier.com wrote:
> "Hank Rogers" <Nos...@invalid.com> wrote in message

> > Have you tried pointing a shotgun at him and politely asking him to leave?
> > I bet he would leave.
> I don't have a shotgun, nor can I get one. Fingerprints are required for gun
> permits and due to Covid, fingerprints are deemed dangerous.

There are no state licensing requirements for the possession of rifles, shotguns or handguns.
<https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/washington/>

And of course we all know you don't need a federal permit for a shotgun, unless it's
a short-barrel.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 23, 2020, 6:55:47 AM8/23/20
On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 12:55:24 AM UTC-4, juli...@frontier.com wrote:

> I don't know of a national eviction rule. I don't watch TV or the news. I
> hear the local news and the press releases from our local authorities and
> our Governor is the one enforcing things here. We have to wear a mask at all
> times, even outdoors. I know other areas are not required to do that.

An order from the secretary of health requires Washingtonians to wear face coverings in public spaces and shared spaces, both indoors and outdoors. Examples include hotel or apartment hallways, outdoors where many people are gathered such as parks, playgrounds or popular walking paths, and in a restaurant when not seated and eating. People are individually responsible to comply with this order.
<https://coronavirus.wa.gov/information-for/you-and-your-family/face-masks-or-cloth-face-covering>

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 23, 2020, 7:01:32 AM8/23/20
On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 1:07:38 AM UTC-4, juli...@frontier.com wrote:
> Because I'm only supposed to shop
> once every two weeks,

Nothing about "every two weeks":

Continued vigilance, including limiting trips outside the home, social distancing, regular hand washing and wearing face coverings in public is crucial to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and allow us to resume normal economic activity.
<https://www.kingcounty.gov/elected/executive/constantine/covid-response/safe-start.aspx>

Cindy Hamilton

Bryan Simmons

Aug 23, 2020, 7:33:10 AM8/23/20
I was absent from here for quite a while, and didn't know about your divorce. You could leave BotHell far behind and move to beautiful Bel Nor, where you could live in a house with a brand new clay tile roof and gleaming copper guttering. The only caveat is, um, I don't know how experienced you are with anal intercourse, and I don't want to know, but I think that allowing an occasional penile foray into the rectum would go a long ways toward ensuring domestic harmony.

Heck, I bet he'd be gentle. I mean he's not some macho army dude, but rather effeminate. If you were close to the same size, you might even share dresses. Before you dismiss the idea entirely, however uncomfortable anal intercourse might seem, you really would get used to it, especially if you were willing to employ that wonder of 20th century technology, the butt plug. Hey, it's like the old poem:

You be the hen
and I be the rooster
Anything you do
You gots to get used ter

--Bryan

P.S. The grocery stores here are rather well stocked.

Julie Bove

Aug 23, 2020, 7:46:55 AM8/23/20

"Roy" <wil...@outlook.com> wrote in message
Huh? I'm not 50.

Gary

Aug 23, 2020, 7:49:30 AM8/23/20
Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't have a shotgun, nor can I get one. Fingerprints are required for gun
> permits and due to Covid, fingerprints are deemed dangerous.

Get arrested. The cops have no problem with fingerprinting
you.

There is absolutely nothing dangerous about fingerprints.
They press your fingers onto an ink pad then roll fingers
out on a piece of paper. It's just ink on paper.

Gary

Aug 23, 2020, 7:55:45 AM8/23/20
Julie Bove wrote:

> Some places just resumed meal
> delivery such as meals on wheels, but only some.

Doctor put my mom on Meals on Wheels six months ago
and it's never ended. Hey...you can't just stop those
and let the old people suffer.

She's very old and doesn't cook much anymore. My sister
lives with her but doesn't cook either. >:-|
Mom evidently had been living on frozen dinners and fast
food take out. Doctor "prescribed" Meal on Wheels for
her to get better nutrition.

Meals on Wheels is free but since Mom isn't poor, she
pays them each month. They do ask that if you can pay,
just send us...I think she said it's only about $20 per month.

They come every weekday but on Friday, they deliver extra.
Enough for the weekend too. Whatever they bring, it's always
a balanced meal plus fresh fruit, juice, milk, etc.

With the Covid virus, they bring the meal to the door,
knock on it or ring the bell, then they stand back for
her to open the door. They wait until someone opens
the door and they ask, "are you doing ok?"

If no one answers the door, they will her or 911
to check on her. It's not just daily meals, it's also
daily talking to you to make sure all is fine.

Gary

Aug 23, 2020, 8:23:23 AM8/23/20
Julie Bove wrote:

> Most people here have put on weight because they're eating crap now instead
> of healthy food. Our diet has changed.

Good excuse but not true. Eating crap food might not give you
good nutrition but gaining weight is due to eating too much food
each day, healthy food or not. You need to exercise too as you
get older to compensate for the normal slower metabolism.

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 23, 2020, 8:26:14 AM8/23/20
They were not fingerprinting here either. No touching. Covid is the
danger.

Gary

Aug 23, 2020, 8:36:11 AM8/23/20
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> And of course we all know you don't need a federal permit for a shotgun, unless it's
> a short-barrel.

I thought all short-barrel shotguns were illegal for citizens.
Made that way, known as a combat shotgun. But a sawed off
long barrel is for criminals only? None of them care about
permits.

Gary

Aug 23, 2020, 8:36:46 AM8/23/20
Yeah but washing hands is a simple solution. The cops probably
do that after fingerprinting.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 23, 2020, 9:09:00 AM8/23/20
Every state is different, in NY a background check is required for
buying a shotgun. The dealer has a phone number to call, gives the
info, and takes about an hour to hear the results of the check. Felons
won't be approved but then they would buy off grid.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 23, 2020, 9:28:31 AM8/23/20
I purchased a new shotgun about a year ago, no fingerprints required.
The dealer phoned to do a background check, just had to supply info
off my drivers licence, took less than an hour to be approved. I went
home with my new Winchester 12 ga.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 23, 2020, 10:07:00 AM8/23/20
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 Gary wrote:
>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm sure the cops do wash after fingerprinting however there are no
fingerprints required to purchase a shotgun. You can buy a shotgun on
line from many sporting goods stores... just need approved ID (drivers
licence), no fingerprints... order on line and it'll be shipped to a
store near you for pickup.
An automobile is considered a deadly weapon, no finger prints are
required to obtain a drivers licence and to purchase an automobile.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=715838534&catalogId=3074457345616676768&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=16&searchTerm=Winchester+shotgun#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/online-firearm-purchase-guidelines

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 23, 2020, 10:14:03 AM8/23/20
You can find the regs if you google for federal shotgun permit

Cindy Hamilton

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 23, 2020, 11:50:35 AM8/23/20
On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 22:07:26 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

snip
Our diet has changed. Because I'm only supposed to shop
>once every two weeks,
snip

We covered your "I'm only supposed to shop
once every two weeks" here, in rfc, many months ago. You may shop
whenever you want to, no one is checking on you. I know that you are
going out of your home for other reasons more than once every two
weeks. You don't get it -- it is advised that you limit your travel
from one place to another unless necessary. It has nothing to do with
food shopping.
Julie, you have the same shopping opportunities that others in the
Pacific Northwest do. There is no food shortage now. You can find
all varieties of raw, fresh meat and all goods now just as you could
before Covid-19.
You are sounding silly
Janet US

Gary

Aug 23, 2020, 11:52:07 AM8/23/20
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > >
> > > And of course we all know you don't need a federal permit for a shotgun, unless it's
> > > a short-barrel.
> > I thought all short-barrel shotguns were illegal for citizens.
> > Made that way, known as a combat shotgun. But a sawed off
> > long barrel is for criminals only? None of them care about
> > permits.
>
> You can find the regs if you google for federal shotgun permit

I'm not looking for one so I won't bother. I just thought you
already knew. Evidently not. Was your comment just a guess?

Gary

Aug 23, 2020, 11:56:02 AM8/23/20
Sheldon Martin wrote:

> I purchased a new shotgun about a year ago, no fingerprints required.
> The dealer phoned to do a background check, just had to supply info
> off my drivers licence, took less than an hour to be approved. I went
> home with my new Winchester 12 ga.

I remember when you bought that shotgun. More like 3 years ago
lol but I do know how time passes quickly as we get older.
Or did you buy another one last year?

Anyway, I know to buy any gun here requires a background check
but don't know about finger prints.

My only gun (shotgun) was a christmas present when I was
13. I ended up selling it when I was 16. Hunting
seemed fun early but wasn't so fun once I killed an animal.

As Julie would say, "Not my thing" heheh

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 23, 2020, 12:06:26 PM8/23/20
No, it was not a guess. I wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong, so I performed
the google that I recommended to you. Since I don't want a permit for a
sawed-off, I moved on as soon as I found I was right that a normal shotgun
does not require a federal permit.

Cindy Hamilton

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 23, 2020, 1:26:21 PM8/23/20
On Saturday, August 22, 2020 at 11:47:00 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't have a shotgun, nor can I get one. Fingerprints are required for gun
> permits and due to Covid, fingerprints are deemed dangerous.

Even yet MORE bullshit lies from our resident attention whore. Her stupidity
never takes a vacation. Ju-Ju, have you thought of hooking up with our other
resident narcissistic?

> My dad had a BB gun. I was banned from using after shooting little holes all
> around the target he put up on the closet door. The target had a lot of
> cardboard behind it. The places I hit did not. And yes, I was aiming at the
> danged bulls eye. I can't play darts either.

Sooooooo, you ARE as stupid as your dad. It's true, the apple doesn't fall
far from the tree. Nobody but a dumbass would put a target up in the house
on a closet door, no matter how much cardboard was used as a backer and buffer.
Nobody but a fucktard would shoot a BB in the house. And how stupid can he
be to continually let you shoot when you can't hit the side of a barn with
a BB gun??

Let's see; your mom can't boil water without burning it and your dad is as
dumb as a box of rocks. No wonder you're such an idiot.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 23, 2020, 1:35:36 PM8/23/20
On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 8:09:00 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Every state is different, in NY a background check is required for
> buying a shotgun. The dealer has a phone number to call, gives the
> info, and takes about an hour to hear the results of the check. Felons
> won't be approved but then they would buy off grid.

I would have thought New York would be more advanced than that. Here,
your information is entered online and the information is received back
to the gun dealer in a matter of 10 minutes or less. If you already
have a gun permit and you're 'clean' the results take less than 5 minutes.
For a replacement pistol, it took no time for my background check to come
back clean.

Bruce

Aug 23, 2020, 1:36:06 PM8/23/20
Crap (fast) food will make you gain weight more than a bowl of quinoa
with chia seeds and cranberries.

Bruce

Aug 23, 2020, 1:39:54 PM8/23/20
But did they check RFC?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 23, 2020, 1:42:17 PM8/23/20
On Sunday, August 23, 2020 at 10:50:35 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Julie, you have the same shopping opportunities that others in the
> Pacific Northwest do. There is no food shortage now. You can find
> all varieties of raw, fresh meat and all goods now just as you could
> before Covid-19.
> You are sounding silly
> Janet US

Yes, she is as silly as a goose. But you usually can't find well-stocked
shelves if you stay up all night and sleep all day as she does. When she
finally drags out of the bed and drags her ass to the grocery after
everything has been picked over then she comes here and lies and says
there is a shortage of everything in Bothell Hell. If you believe her
whopper lies you'd think everyone in Washington state is starving and
will become cannibals due to the lack of food.

Hank Rogers

Aug 23, 2020, 3:32:23 PM8/23/20
Popeye probably has some sex crime arrests on his record.

Hank Rogers

Aug 23, 2020, 3:34:11 PM8/23/20
A bowl of quinoa with chia seeds and cranberries will make you gain
weight more than eating nothing.

.

jmcquown

Aug 23, 2020, 5:47:10 PM8/23/20
She seems to think we can't look this stuff up.

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 23, 2020, 6:42:03 PM8/23/20
On 8/23/2020 11:50 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
I don't think she understands anything about what's going on. There may
be some supply issues (Just Mayo, anyone?) but that's a store problem,
not a government mandate. As far as I can tell, there is no law saying
anyone in the state of Washington (and specifically Snonomish County)
that people are only allowed to shop once every two weeks.

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 23, 2020, 6:57:47 PM8/23/20
On 8/23/2020 1:10 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bruce" <br...@null.null> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 20:47:08 -0400, songbird <song...@anthive.com>
>> wrote:

>>>  i don't see anything in the news about anyone starving.
>>>
>>>  around here they are saying they're going to harvest 22.5 million
>>> bushels of apples this year.  pretty much the same as last year.
>>>
>>>  the previous trips to the store i didn't see many more skinny
>>> people either.  the usual chubby folks walking around buying junk
>>> food.
>>
>> Ah yes, the fast food hippos!
>
> I heard on the radio that people are treating this as a vacation and on
> a vacation, all rules fly out the window.

What radio? If you're talking about people not being able to go to work,
perhaps people are making the best of things working from home. They
aren't starving. They aren't treating a pandemic like a vacation.

> This concept makes no sense to me. I hate eating crap food. it makes me
> feel lousy, so I just don't eat it. I do get tacos from time to time.
> No, not Taco Bell with their beef enhanced with oats. Yick.

No one is being forced to eat crappy food. Buy into Bruce's idea of a
bunch of fat people eating crappy food and mention Taco Bell in the same
breath, what does that say? I recall you mentioning buying nachos with
cheese sauce when shopping at some place (Target? Walmart?) years ago.
That's not healthy food yet you bought and ate it from whatever the
place was waaaay before Covid-19 showed up.

No wonder you didn't feel good if that's the kind of thing you ate every
time you went shopping with Angela. You say you're exercising more now
and losing weight. Good for you! Better for your diabetes and GERD and
your overall health. :)

Jill

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 23, 2020, 8:47:45 PM8/23/20
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 18:57:40 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
she listens to and buys into all the Right-Wing propaganda.
Janet US

Bryan Simmons

Aug 23, 2020, 9:18:33 PM8/23/20
Women who are married to hardass, sexist men often adopt their politics and social views, and hang onto them even after they realize that the husbands were assholes, and get them out of their lives. My late sister, my much loved late sister, who was in every other way a great person, bought into that right-wing crap. All three of her offspring are progressives. The youngest, the only child of the right-wing asshole husband, is militant progressive to the point that he and I even have differences. He's a smart person, and a successful small business owner, but he's gung-ho anti Democratic Party establishment.

> Janet US

--Bryan

cshenk

Aug 23, 2020, 10:40:11 PM8/23/20
You flip flop too much to follow here. Democrats are right wing.
Democrats are into 'how much free stuff can I get'. Most business
owners tend to republican leanings since they are more about the
economy and making a little bit of profit possible instead of free
handouts.

Bruce

Aug 23, 2020, 11:22:49 PM8/23/20
cshenkie, you have to donate your brain to science.

dsi1

Aug 23, 2020, 11:28:19 PM8/23/20

Hank Rogers

Aug 23, 2020, 11:47:02 PM8/23/20
Maybe you'll donate your nose too. <Sniff>

Julie Bove

Aug 24, 2020, 12:20:46 AM8/24/20

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5F4257CA...@att.net...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I don't have a shotgun, nor can I get one. Fingerprints are required for
>> gun
>> permits and due to Covid, fingerprints are deemed dangerous.
>
> Get arrested. The cops have no problem with fingerprinting
> you.

Ha! They're not arresting people here as a general rule. They don't want
people in jail. Come here and shoplift all you want. You'll get away with
it. You can also speed, vandalize homes... It's all good now. :(

> There is absolutely nothing dangerous about fingerprints.
> They press your fingers onto an ink pad then roll fingers
> out on a piece of paper. It's just ink on paper.

I don't make the rules. They say you can't social distance and do it.

Julie Bove

Aug 24, 2020, 12:22:23 AM8/24/20

"Sheldon Martin" <penm...@aol.com> wrote in message
I know you have to have a gun permit here. Does that apply to a shotgun? I
don't know.

Julie Bove

Aug 24, 2020, 12:40:25 AM8/24/20

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5F42593E...@att.net...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Some places just resumed meal
>> delivery such as meals on wheels, but only some.
>
> Doctor put my mom on Meals on Wheels six months ago
> and it's never ended. Hey...you can't just stop those
> and let the old people suffer.

That's where you live. Things certainly were stopped here, at least for a
time. We couldn't go to the Dr. or hospital either, unless it was Covid
related. I had to do without my insulin for week bercause deliveries were
not allowed.

> She's very old and doesn't cook much anymore. My sister
> lives with her but doesn't cook either. >:-|
> Mom evidently had been living on frozen dinners and fast
> food take out. Doctor "prescribed" Meal on Wheels for
> her to get better nutrition.
>
> Meals on Wheels is free but since Mom isn't poor, she
> pays them each month. They do ask that if you can pay,
> just send us...I think she said it's only about $20 per month.

We have it here but I don't know the particulars. I think for a time, you
had to send someone to get them for you. They gave you 30 days worth and
they were frozen meals. Not the normal food.

We do have places that give free lunch to seniors, but you have to go there
to eat it. Those were stopped. They also had to stop feeding the homeless.

There was a story on the radio of a senior woman in this area. The trash
collectors noticed that she had not put her cans out for three week in a row
so they decided to check on her. She said said she had been unable to get
out to buy food. They cut back on the public transporation here and stopped
the bus for seniors. She was very thin and had run out of food.

The trash guys sent her a pizza and said they'd be bsck later with more
food. They did come back and have been coming back each week since.

I don't use public transportation because there isn't any close enough for
me to get to. ASnd what there is, mainly goes to downtown Seattle from here.
Downtown Seattle is mostly shut down now, hence the lack of bus service at
the moment. Most of the restaurants downtown have closed for good as there
are no customers.

> They come every weekday but on Friday, they deliver extra.
> Enough for the weekend too. Whatever they bring, it's always
> a balanced meal plus fresh fruit, juice, milk, etc.

That's good. It's not like that here. My friend's mom got one meal per day
but she was on a special diet for medical reasons and they couldn't
accomodate her so she threw the meals out. My MIL got the meals in PA. One a
day for her two. Frozen meals. No drinks. The food portions were tiny and
most could not be eaten by her as she could only eat soft food.

> With the Covid virus, they bring the meal to the door,
> knock on it or ring the bell, then they stand back for
> her to open the door. They wait until someone opens
> the door and they ask, "are you doing ok?"

Can't do that here. All deliveries must be contactless. They could call her
to see if she was okay. Food has to be placed on the doorstep or place of
choice. I just ordered pizza. Justin made a table in front of the garage
door. The pizza was put there. Much easier for me oto get than from the
doorstep asnd much better because of all the rats around here.

> If no one answers the door, they will her or 911
> to check on her. It's not just daily meals, it's also
> daily talking to you to make sure all is fine.

That's good!

Julie Bove

Aug 24, 2020, 12:47:51 AM8/24/20

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5F425FB8...@att.net...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Most people here have put on weight because they're eating crap now
>> instead
>> of healthy food. Our diet has changed.
>
> Good excuse but not true. Eating crap food might not give you
> good nutrition but gaining weight is due to eating too much food
> each day, healthy food or not. You need to exercise too as you
> get older to compensate for the normal slower metabolism.

No. It's taking in too many calories. I can make a pasta meal at home and
cater it to my needs/wants. Or I can send out for a pasta meal. guarantee
you that a cup of my pasta will have less calories than theirs.

I exercise at home. Tried a gym once. Too much hassle. Gyms are not open
here. Malls only recently opened. I can't even walk up and down every aisle
in the grocery store like I used to do. They want us to do a quick in and
out a the store.

People are also working from home. So they are not taking their bike or
walking to work.

My mom was stuck in her apartment for about 5 months. It's 600 sq. ft. She
was not allowed out for any reason. She slept a lot more than usual.

She was finally allowed to resume her outdoor walks a few weeks ago. They
are supervised now and shorter than usual. She couldn't complete them. She
lost that much muscle.

It is loading more messages.