Wednesday Supper, September 27, 2023??

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 27, 2023, 6:34:00 PM9/27/23

Are you cooking at home tonight or heading to a favorite restaurant?

Here it is going to be macaroni, beef, and tomatoes for a quick supper.
Cornbread would have been nice but I'm almost through cooking and
it's too late to be thinking about cornbread now!

Macaroni needs to go on Friday's shopping list.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 27, 2023, 7:40:31 PM9/27/23
A beefaroni knockoff. "The Chef" would be proud.

--Bryan

jmcquown

Sep 27, 2023, 8:29:01 PM9/27/23
Heck, I posted mine before seeing your post. A couple of slices of pan
fried polenta topped with some of the tomato sauce I made last weekend.
From frozen leaf spinach as the vegetable side.

Next time I do this again I'll make zucchini pancakes as the vegetable
side. I know you dislike zucchini but when shredded and made into
pancakes in much the same manner as shredded potato pancakes, yum!

Jilll

Michael Trew

Sep 27, 2023, 9:12:07 PM9/27/23
Home made trumps whatever junk you buy in a box, be it Beefaroni,
Hamburger Helper, or whatever. Hamburger Helper makes me sick to my
stomach just at the smell. It could be because I was forced to eat it
(or pick at it and stare at it for hours sitting at the table) as a
child, so I developed an aversion to it. My daughter's mother loved
that slop, and I cared for her enough that I'd cook it for her at her
request, while trying to not get sick standing over it.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 27, 2023, 9:29:02 PM9/27/23
I have no proof, but I would imagine macaroni, beef, and tomato probably originated
in the 30's during the Depression or even during the 40's during WWII while rationing
was the norm. It was a good way to stretch a pound of hamburger while providing a
filling meal with the addition chopped onions and macaroni and tomatoes. Chef
Boyardee may have canned this dish, but he certainly didn't create it.

Thomas

Sep 27, 2023, 9:30:30 PM9/27/23
Love it. Simple.
Baked some stuff.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 28, 2023, 4:44:10 AM9/28/23
On 2023-09-27, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

> Are you cooking at home tonight or heading to a favorite restaurant?
>
> Here it is going to be macaroni, beef, and tomatoes for a quick supper.
> Cornbread would have been nice but I'm almost through cooking and
> it's too late to be thinking about cornbread now!

Cornbread would have been double starch. How about a vegetable?

> Macaroni needs to go on Friday's shopping list.

Lunch was grilled fish (salmon for me; swordfish for him). Dinner
was a salad.

--
Cindy Hamilton

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 28, 2023, 5:36:49 PM9/28/23
On Thursday, September 28, 2023 at 3:44:10 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2023-09-27, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >
> > Are you cooking at home tonight or heading to a favorite restaurant?
> >
> > Here it is going to be macaroni, beef, and tomatoes for a quick supper.
> > Cornbread would have been nice but I'm almost through cooking and
> > it's too late to be thinking about cornbread now!
> >
> Cornbread would have been double starch. How about a vegetable?
> >
> Cindy Hamilton

Yes, true the cornbread would have been too many starches. I forgot I had a bowl
of Greek salad my neighbor made in the refrigerator. It would have been perfect
with my meal so I had it for breakfast!

songbird

Sep 29, 2023, 12:10:58 AM9/29/23
Michael Trew wrote:
> Home made trumps whatever junk you buy in a box, be it Beefaroni,
> Hamburger Helper, or whatever. Hamburger Helper makes me sick to my
> stomach just at the smell. It could be because I was forced to eat it
> (or pick at it and stare at it for hours sitting at the table) as a
> child, so I developed an aversion to it. My daughter's mother loved
> that slop, and I cared for her enough that I'd cook it for her at her
> request, while trying to not get sick standing over it.

oh, now you're bringing back memories when i'd get that
stuff and make it. i haven't done that in over 30 years
though. it's easy enough to make your own goulash or ...
beans will stretch it even further. i actually like both
green beans and cooked dry beans in there.

the trouble with many of the packaged stuff like Hamburger
Helper was all the added salt and other strange stuff.

songbird