REC: Hot German Potato Salad

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 10, 2020, 11:21:19 PM8/10/20

HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
Origin: Dorothy Glaeser

8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
the pan and drain
Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
2 Tablespoons white flour
1 teaspoon table salt
Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
1 ½ cups water
Stir over medium heat until smooth.
Use red skinned potatoes, about 3 pounds. Boil them whole until a
paring knife just pierces the potato. Peel and slice the potatoes. I
slice each potato into the sauce separately so that the potatoes don't
stick together.
Stir in the bacon.
Keep warm until service

Janet US

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 11, 2020, 6:05:17 AM8/11/20
If that seems like too much sugar, one could cut back on it. I
have a recipe that uses none (but less vinegar, IIRC). I posted
it on RFC a couple of weeks ago.

Cindy Hamilton

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 11, 2020, 12:51:53 PM8/11/20
This is a mild sweet/sour sauce. The vinegar and sugar are equal.
(4Tbsp. equals 1/4 cup) The potatoes absorb the flavors, that's why
it is good to leave the pot on the heat at low simmer for awhile to
allow the flavors to marry.
Janet US

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 11, 2020, 1:05:13 PM8/11/20
To my taste buds, it's gack-worthy sweet. I hate sweet-and-sour. I
was pointing out that if that seems like too much sugar, it can be
reduced according to taste.

I might use 1 tablespoon of sugar or none and substitute something
else for some of the vinegar.

Cindy Hamilton

GM

Aug 11, 2020, 1:07:42 PM8/11/20
Thank you, will use when it cools down this autumn...

--
Best
Greg

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 11, 2020, 1:50:04 PM8/11/20
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:05:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
I was just explaining the dish to others. No gack necessary.
Janet US

bruce2...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2020, 3:09:04 PM8/11/20
Also Janet at the end, please say 'serving' instead of 'service', next time.

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 11, 2020, 3:42:06 PM8/11/20
or On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:09:01 -0700 (PDT), bruce2...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Also Janet at the end, please say 'serving' instead of 'service', next time.

I was thinking in terms of preparing and offering the food to diners.
(Like the food is ready and setting on the table for family dining.)
Are you thinking of the amount given to each individual or the
physical act of dishing out food, or how many portions in the entire
recipe?
I believe that I have seen my way used but would appreciate
clarification from someone.

Janet US

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 11, 2020, 4:04:48 PM8/11/20
It's a trifle British (or 19th Century), but a perfectly understandable idiom.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Aug 11, 2020, 4:20:12 PM8/11/20
I'd have thought/guessed that 'serving' refers more to a home context
and 'service' more to a professional/hospitality context.

Taxed and Spent

Aug 11, 2020, 5:12:45 PM8/11/20
On 8/11/2020 12:09 PM, bruce2...@gmail.com wrote:
> Also Janet at the end, please say 'serving' instead of 'service', next time.

Janet, please do what you wish.

Sqwertz

Aug 11, 2020, 9:56:42 PM8/11/20
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 21:21:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
>
> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
> the pan and drain
> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
> 2 Tablespoons white flour
> 1 teaspoon table salt
> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
> 1 ½ cups water

Why do you say 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar?

This is a pet peeve on mine in recipes.

-sw

Sqwertz

Aug 11, 2020, 9:58:42 PM8/11/20
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:51:44 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> This is a mild sweet/sour sauce. The vinegar and sugar are equal.
> (4Tbsp. equals 1/4 cup)

See? I knew you knew that :-)

-sw

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 11, 2020, 10:13:51 PM8/11/20
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:56:37 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
the recipe author wrote it that way and she probably got it from
someone else.
Janet US

tert in seattle

Aug 12, 2020, 12:00:06 AM8/12/20
J...@nospam.com writes:
>On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:56:37 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 21:21:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
>>> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
>>>
>>> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
>>> the pan and drain
>>> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
>>> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
>>> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
>>> 2 Tablespoons white flour
>>> 1 teaspoon table salt
>>> Add: 1/4 cup white vinegar
>>> 1 1/2 cups water
>>
>>Why do you say 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar?
>>
>>This is a pet peeve on mine in recipes.
>>
>>-sw
>
>the recipe author wrote it that way and she probably got it from
>someone else.
>Janet US

also, no one wants to measure out four tablespoons of vinegar

Bruce

Aug 12, 2020, 12:02:20 AM8/12/20
If you do the sugar first and then the vinegar, you can use the same
spoon!

songbird

Aug 12, 2020, 5:42:14 AM8/12/20
i'm not sure what the comment is about, but "a serving",
"serving size" and "serving suggestions" used to be common
things printed on packages here. i don't really see or
read too many packages these days to know if that is still
the case.

the ideas of serving dinner, serving someone at the table,
taking a single serving of some item, these are all common
concepts to me even if i don't think of them in those words
when i'm doing them (i just do things i don't necessarily
have to put words to things as i do them).

songbird

Sheldon Martin

Aug 12, 2020, 9:35:57 AM8/12/20
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:56:37 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
really don't want someone dressing my salad, or sprinkling grated
cheese and hot pepper flakes on my pasta, same as I don't want anyone
creaming/sugaring my coffee.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 12, 2020, 9:49:29 AM8/12/20
On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:35:57 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 20:56:37 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 21:21:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> >> HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD
> >> Origin: Dorothy Glaeser
> >>
> >> 8 Slices of bacon, diced. Fry until done but not crispy. Remove from
> >> the pan and drain
> >> Keep 4 Tablespoons bacon fat in the pan.
> >> Saute (in the bacon fat) until golden, one large onion, diced.
> >> Add: 4 Tablespoons white sugar
> >> 2 Tablespoons white flour
> >> 1 teaspoon table salt
> >> Add: ¼ cup white vinegar
> >> 1 ½ cups water
> >
> >Why do you say 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 cup of vinegar?
> >
> >This is a pet peeve on mine in recipes.
> >
> >-sw
>
> Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
> taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
> dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
> really don't want someone dressing my salad,

I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
to just having the dressing plopped on top.

> or sprinkling grated
> cheese and hot pepper flakes on my pasta,

I presume you eat pasta only with red sauce. It would be impossible to
prepare a proper Alfredo without adding the cheese in the kitchen.

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

Aug 12, 2020, 12:24:49 PM8/12/20
Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
school lunchrooms.

>> or sprinkling grated
>> cheese and hot pepper flakes on my pasta,
>
>I presume you eat pasta only with red sauce. It would be impossible to
>prepare a proper Alfredo without adding the cheese in the kitchen.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

We only eat pasta prepared at home, we are not about to pay those
outrageous prices for a pasta dish that costs about two dollars to
prepare at home. In fact last night's dinner was rotelle with
homemade red sauce and saw-seege and there's more than enough for
tonight. A one pound box of pasta costs a dollar or less, same price
for a large can of crushed tomatoes. To prepare pasta one only needs
to know how to boil water... only utter imbeciles pay those outrageous
prices to eat pasta out. Alfredo is nothing special only we don't
need all those useless calories. We had a nice salad too, from the
first head of savoy cabbage. The market in town has a sale on celery,
a big bunch 88¢ BOGO. Now what to do with all that celery, thinking
something Chinese, but no rush, celery can keep a while in the fridge.
Just picked 5 yellow crookneck squash and eggplant is coming in, got 6
long skinny Korean and one short fat Italian... stir fry with celery,
garlic, cabbage, bok choy, and young green beans.

Ophelia

Aug 12, 2020, 12:51:37 PM8/12/20
"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
======

Thank you:)

https://www.avg.com

Bruce

Aug 12, 2020, 2:13:26 PM8/12/20
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:49:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
><angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:35:57 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
>>> taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
>>> dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
>>> really don't want someone dressing my salad,
>>
>>I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
>>and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
>>to just having the dressing plopped on top.
>
>Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
>even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>school lunchrooms.

I thought quality restaurants didn't exist and all restaurants feed
you shlopp and piss.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 12, 2020, 2:32:46 PM8/12/20
He'd be amazed if he ever ate at a *real* quality restaurant. Can
you imagine a chef letting a salad out of his kitchen that wasn't
properly dressed? And none of this "Do you want Ranch, Eyetalian,
Blue Cheese, or Thousand Island?" You get the dressing that matches
the salad.

Cindy Hamilton

Hank Rogers

Aug 12, 2020, 2:34:19 PM8/12/20
No, there's the gold coin. All other restaurants are tiad.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 12, 2020, 2:44:24 PM8/12/20
On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:24:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:49:25 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
> >> taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
> >> dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
> >> really don't want someone dressing my salad,
> >
> >I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
> >and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
> >to just having the dressing plopped on top.

I'm in agreement with Cindy. It doesn't have to be drowning and possibly
a small bowl of extra dressing could available on the table if it weren't
quite enough to your taste.

> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> school lunchrooms.

Well, I've been in many 'quality' restaurants and the salad comes with the
dressing on top of the salad fixings. Once again, it's not swimming in
the dressing but it's not served with it on the side either.

Bruce

Aug 12, 2020, 2:50:31 PM8/12/20
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 11:32:43 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
I believe he only goes to this -probably watered down- "Chinese"
place.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 12, 2020, 3:05:12 PM8/12/20
I'm talking five star restaurants and those that aspire to be.

Even the quite nice place where I get a $10 meal-sized Greek salad tosses
the lettuce with the dressing. (Yes, I know _real_ Greek salads don't
have lettuce, but this is America.) Same thing with our Turkish restaurant,
although I don't often get the salad since their soups are extraordinary.

At ordinary restaurants, I don't mind dressing on the side, especially if
the alternative is to have the salad inundated with dressing.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Aug 12, 2020, 3:06:50 PM8/12/20
On 8/12/2020 2:44 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:24:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

So how do you prepare potato salad? Just plain boiled potatoes?

>>> I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
>>> and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
>>> to just having the dressing plopped on top.
>>
> I'm in agreement with Cindy. It doesn't have to be drowning and possibly
> a small bowl of extra dressing could available on the table if it weren't
> quite enough to your taste.
>>
>> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
>> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>> school lunchrooms.
>>
> Well, I've been in many 'quality' restaurants and the salad comes with the
> dressing on top of the salad fixings. Once again, it's not swimming in
> the dressing but it's not served with it on the side either.

I thought the post was about hot German *potato* salad. Sounds like
he's talking about of oil & vinegar cruets and a green leafy salad on a
table in Brooklyn. ;)

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 12, 2020, 3:24:23 PM8/12/20
We digressed a bit. I was amazed. I've never seen that happen on RFC. ;)

Cindy Hamilton

Hank Rogers

Aug 12, 2020, 3:34:25 PM8/12/20
Yes, the famous gold coin. Else he confines his meals to kosher
jewish delis.

Dave Smith

Aug 12, 2020, 4:15:35 PM8/12/20
On 2020-08-12 2:44 p.m., itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 11:24:49 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>

>>> I disagree with you there. If the preparer knows what they're doing
>>> and doesn't drown the salad in dressing, I'd prefer it properly tossed
>>> to just having the dressing plopped on top.
>>
> I'm in agreement with Cindy. It doesn't have to be drowning and possibly
> a small bowl of extra dressing could available on the table if it weren't
> quite enough to your taste.

Different strokes for different folks. I am not a big fan of lettuce
salads and prefer most dressing to be served with minimal dressing. My
wife usually serves salad in a bowl and we add our own. Sometimes I can
get away with adding some dressing and tossing it and then I take my
share. She then adds at least as much dressing as I had used on the rest
of it, so she ends up with 3-4 times as much dressing as I use.

>> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
>> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
>> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
>> school lunchrooms.
>>
> Well, I've been in many 'quality' restaurants and the salad comes with the
> dressing on top of the salad fixings. Once again, it's not swimming in
> the dressing but it's not served with it on the side either.

I used to work with a guy who always wanted his dressing on the side.
My preferred dressing is blue cheese and I like a glob of it on top of
the salad and then I dip forkfuls of salad into the dressing as I eat it.

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 12, 2020, 4:27:50 PM8/12/20
wrote:

>>On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:35:57 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> Me too... should say sugar and vinegar to taste... same as s n' p to
>>> taste. When I prepare food for others I skimp on the
>>> dressings/seasonings and then let people adjust to their taste. I
>>> really don't want someone dressing my salad,

snip
This isn't a dish of potatoes with sauce poured over the cooked
potatoes no more than scalloped potatoes is a dish with sauce poured
over the cooked potatoes. The 'sauce' becomes part of the dish.
Janet US.

Jeßus

Aug 12, 2020, 5:44:59 PM8/12/20
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 21:21:10 -0600, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>HOT GERMAN POTATO SALAD

I'm almost certain I saw this title on Pornhub.

Sqwertz

Aug 12, 2020, 10:17:10 PM8/12/20
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,

Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.

> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> school lunchrooms.

Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.

-sw

Sqwertz

Aug 12, 2020, 10:27:50 PM8/12/20
And here I thought you were just pulling out legs. But sure enough!

"Jamie Oliver Teaches 3 Ways to make a Perfect Potato Salad"

https://www.pornhub.com/view_video.php?viewkey=ph59f2f743dbf0e

(No, It's not porn)

-sw
Message has been deleted

Sheldon Martin

Aug 13, 2020, 11:48:45 AM8/13/20
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.

Dave Smith

Aug 13, 2020, 12:16:00 PM8/13/20
I don't recall ever seeing packets in restaurants, but I imagine they
might become a lot more common post pandemic when people will be
eschewing anything that might have been touched by other grubby fingers.
I used to resent packaged creamers and sugar in nice restaurants. I was
used to pitchers and sugar bowls or cubes. I was surprised when out for
dinner with my cousin that he preferred them and talked about all the
nasty things that people might do to them.

I would imagine that individual packets of jams and jellies would be
more expensive than jar. Amazon sells cases of 200 for $34.23 CDN. or
200 jam, 200 peanut butter and 200 honey for $101.13. You can get 6kg
(13lb) of PB for the same price. The savings would be in the reduce
waste, though it should be noted that people often pocket some of the
extras for use later. I don't often have peanut butter in the house,
so I appropriate packages of PB to use for mouse trap bait.

Years ago when I worked in the Fort Erie area we often went for coffee
at a small diner. We would get coffee and toast. They would bring out a
bowl with a selection of jams and jellies. Toast with jam was 25 cents
(1978). I like cinnamon toast, for for some reason they charged 40
cents for that. I refused to pay the extra for cinnamon when you could
have unlimited jam packets for less.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 13, 2020, 12:50:35 PM8/13/20
What do you consider a high-end restaurant? Denny's?

High-end restaurants make their own salad dressings.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Aug 13, 2020, 1:36:35 PM8/13/20
On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 11:48:45 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:24:42 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> >
> >> Quality restaurants bring dressing for the diners to apply themselves,
> >
> >Quality restaurants dress and toss the salad for you. Denny's and
> >Bobs Big Boy put it on the side.
> >
> >> even so-so restaurnats bring the dressing asked for or bring assorted
> >> packets of dressings... you're obviously used to dinning in grade
> >> school lunchrooms.
> >
> >Heh. Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.
> >
> >-sw
>
> So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
> selection of packets... actually packets are far more sanitary than a
> crowd dipping out dressings from tubs... same is true for all
> condiments, including butter pats, coffee creamer, jams, syrups, etc.
> Also costs less as there's far less waste/spoilage.

Sheldon, have you ever been to a high-end restaurant? Ever?

Hank Rogers

Aug 13, 2020, 1:40:19 PM8/13/20
Yes, he dined at the golden coin.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 13, 2020, 1:45:59 PM8/13/20
I'm trying to picture Alain Ducasse letting his restaurant put out
packets of salad dressings. I think my head is going to explode.

Even much more modest restaurants make their own dressings. A
_bar_ in the next town over makes their dressings from scratch, FFS.
The creamy garlic at a local German restaurant tastes of fresh
buttermilk.

You can always tell whether a dressing is made from scratch: the
pre-made ones always taste cooked and like chemicals.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Aug 13, 2020, 2:02:00 PM8/13/20
Yes, I think those packets are only for fast food joints and other
low-level places. No real chef would use them.

U.S. Janet B.

Aug 13, 2020, 2:56:08 PM8/13/20
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:48:41 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
Never, never, never. That's no high end restaurant.
Janet US

Taxed and Spent

Aug 13, 2020, 3:18:48 PM8/13/20
Janet, you are wrong. Sheldon knows because his Uncle Jed told him all
about those fancy-eatin places.

Hank Rogers

Aug 13, 2020, 3:40:29 PM8/13/20
CUE Druce!

Hank Rogers

Aug 13, 2020, 3:42:12 PM8/13/20
Even evil american chefs? Druce, those evil bastards will feed you
all sorts of chemicals and never blink an eye.

Hank Rogers

Aug 13, 2020, 3:47:21 PM8/13/20
Nope, it was his gay brother that showed him how to properly
"dress" his salad at snooty new york restaurants.

Especially at the gold coin ... a 4 star joint Popeye enjoys.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2020, 4:57:26 PM8/13/20
Even if money-saving is an issue (at some out-of-favor NYC, Monaco or Paris restaurants) ?

Hank Rogers

Aug 13, 2020, 5:26:44 PM8/13/20
Druce is like Popeye. These upper crust people only dine at the
finest restaurants.

When they make a reservation, the staff gets busy.

Bruce

Aug 13, 2020, 5:34:43 PM8/13/20
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 16:26:38 -0500, Hank Rogers <Nos...@invalid.com>
wrote:

>bruce2...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Yes, I think those packets are only for fast food joints and other
>>> low-level places. No real chef would use them.
>>
>> Even if money-saving is an issue (at some out-of-favor NYC, Monaco or Paris restaurants) ?
>>

>Druce is like Popeye. These upper crust people only dine at the
>finest restaurants.
>
>When they make a reservation, the staff gets busy.

Not at all, but even a modest little eatery around the corner doesn't
use dressing from a packet. That's giving up.

Hank Rogers

Aug 13, 2020, 7:09:51 PM8/13/20
How nice for you.
.
Some of us are in the usa. It is horrible. Some have escaped to
netherlands. and a few to australia. Most have been killed.

Sqwertz

Aug 13, 2020, 8:34:08 PM8/13/20
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:48:41 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 21:17:07 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Packets of dressings are reserved for FAST FOOD ONLY.
>
> So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
> selection of packets...

I never LOL at posts except for yours. Hah! You're hilarious!

-sw

cshenk

Aug 13, 2020, 11:06:02 PM8/13/20
LOL!

I am not really sure if Sheldon ever ate at a true high end place.
Pre-Covid, even Denny's didn't use packets except for sweet-n-low type
stuff and jelly. NOT for salad dressings. They are not high-end,
being just one level above fastfood McDonalds types.

I do not diss Denny's BTW. If you just wanted a simple fast fix, they
worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate. I like the simple
breaskfast plates. Not Haute cuisine, but then you do not go to
Denny's for that.

graham

Aug 14, 2020, 12:02:58 AM8/14/20
You won't find S&P on the table at a high-end restaurant!

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 14, 2020, 5:47:37 AM8/14/20
Denny's gets their salad dressing out of a gallon jar from the
food service supplier, even if it arrives at the table in one
of those little plastic cups.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 6:16:54 AM8/14/20
I wonder how many Americans NEVER go to a restaurant.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2020, 8:22:15 AM8/14/20
They believe their myths: oh, it's all horse meat, etc...

Gary

Aug 14, 2020, 8:53:25 AM8/14/20
Bruce wrote:
> I wonder how many Americans NEVER go to a restaurant.

I will guess that most smart Americans don't go to a
restaurant currently. Not eat-in or even take-out.

Before the virus mess, I would never eat in a restaurant
by myself. That was a bit weird to me.

I did do many takeouts...and not just fast food, but I
won't for the foreseeable future.

Safer to cook at home even with my "crappy RevereWare."

Dave Smith

Aug 14, 2020, 8:53:46 AM8/14/20
On 2020-08-14 12:02 a.m., graham wrote:

>> I do not diss Denny's BTW.  If you just wanted a simple fast fix, they
>> worked. Don likes their cheeseburger plate.  I like the simple
>> breaskfast plates.  Not Haute cuisine, but then you do not go to
>> Denny's for that.
>>
> You won't find S&P on the table at a high-end restaurant!

They seem to prefer to have a server come around with a huge spectacle
of a pepper grinder.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 14, 2020, 9:05:01 AM8/14/20
Since you don't consider fast food to be restaurants, I'd have
to say: millions.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 14, 2020, 9:07:01 AM8/14/20
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 8:53:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> > I wonder how many Americans NEVER go to a restaurant.
>
> I will guess that most smart Americans don't go to a
> restaurant currently. Not eat-in or even take-out.

Why? You don't contract COVID-19 through food.

> Before the virus mess, I would never eat in a restaurant
> by myself. That was a bit weird to me.

And never eating in a restaurant by yourself is a bit weird to me.

> I did do many takeouts...and not just fast food, but I
> won't for the foreseeable future.
>
> Safer to cook at home even with my "crappy RevereWare."

Don't stick the take-out food up your nose and you'll be fine.

Cindy Hamilton

graham

Aug 14, 2020, 9:31:44 AM8/14/20
Not in a high end restaurant!!

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 14, 2020, 10:02:51 AM8/14/20
We're probably starting to tie our shoelaces together over what a high-end
restaurant is. Some of us are probably thinking "expensive" while others
are thinking "Classic French, four- or five-star". The two sets are
not identical. You can spend a stupid amount of money at one of those
American steakhouses where everything is a la carte and the food is
no better than you could have at home (if you had a source for Prime beef).

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

Aug 14, 2020, 10:31:20 AM8/14/20
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:55:59 -0600, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
Little you know, restaurants buy national brand name dressings in
plastic gallon jugs, pour it into cruets and pass it off as home
made... sometimes it's doctored a bit, same as they pass off canned
soup... Campbells is available in #10 cans, six to a case... when
vegetable beef is soup du jour it's Campbells with diced beefsteak
diners left on their plate.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 14, 2020, 10:34:58 AM8/14/20
If you can't taste the difference, you probably should just stop posting.

Cindy Hamilton

Sqwertz

Aug 14, 2020, 10:41:38 AM8/14/20
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 22:02:55 -0600, graham wrote:

> You won't find S&P on the table at a high-end restaurant!

It's all fancy 'curated' salts now. They now have separate salt
menus that you order from like a wine list, some as much as $120 a
gram. And a 'Salmelier' to help you chose the salts that are most
compatible with your dishes. Then they weigh out your salts on a
triple beam scale table-side.

-sw

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 14, 2020, 11:00:28 AM8/14/20
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 7:53:25 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Before the virus mess, I would never eat in a restaurant
> by myself. That was a bit weird to me.

Why would you never eat in a restaurant by yourself? What's weird about
eating alone? Are you afraid people will point and talk about you if you
don't have a dining partner?

Taxed and Spent

Aug 14, 2020, 11:11:23 AM8/14/20
Uh, NO!

Sheldon Martin

Aug 14, 2020, 11:14:58 AM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 04:01:54 +1000, Bruce <br...@null.null> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 10:45:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
><angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Sheldon, have you ever been to a high-end restaurant? Ever?
>>
>>I'm trying to picture Alain Ducasse letting his restaurant put out
>>packets of salad dressings. I think my head is going to explode.
>>
>>Even much more modest restaurants make their own dressings. A
>>_bar_ in the next town over makes their dressings from scratch, FFS.
>>The creamy garlic at a local German restaurant tastes of fresh
>>buttermilk.
>>
>>You can always tell whether a dressing is made from scratch: the
>>pre-made ones always taste cooked and like chemicals.
>
>Yes, I think those packets are only for fast food joints and other
>low-level places. No real chef would use them.

These days more and more high end eateries serve packets, they're far
cleaner, and cost less due to far less wastage/spoilage... your high
end eateries serve national brand name dressings that they buy in
gallon jugs and pour into cruets... that Italian snob joint you love
is very likely serving Wishbone. Salad dressings are easy to doctor
with a pinch of chopped fresh herbs and some schmuck in a monkey suit
comes around with a giant pepper grinder. I bet yoose don't know that
a goodly percentage of those peppercorns are dry mouse turds... any
time I ate out I brought my own pepper grinder.... I don't use the
pepper shaker on the table either, when yoose buy ground pepper a
goodly portion is dry mouse turds. I don't buy any ground spices, I
only buy whole spices, pick them over carefully and grind my own.
Yoose have no idea what goes on in the food industry. Oh, and I don't
need to go to a high end eatery, I KNOW HOW TO SHOP AND I KNOW HOW TO
COOK. Many high end eateries serve previously frozen meat... yoose
who buy steaks on sale to fill your freezer are food imbeciles... once
a steak is frozen it's soup/stew meat.

Taxed and Spent

Aug 14, 2020, 11:27:31 AM8/14/20

Sheldon Martin

Aug 14, 2020, 11:42:24 AM8/14/20
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 19:34:04 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
You are a dumb putz... those packets are labled with the
manufacturer... so you won't use Heinz Ketchup from a packet. Salad
dressing in packets are produced by the biggest names in the food
industry, it's the exact same drssing that major companies sell in
bottles. And before I'd consume dressing that some pimple faced teen
who just took a leak and didn't wash slapped together in a restaurant
eatry I'd make my own... at home I mostly do make my own. My Italian
dressing is very easy to prepare, juice of a fresh lemon, EVOO,
s n'p, and some herbs, fresh if I have and during growing season I
always have parsely, basil and others. The squeezed lemon rinds go
into my Crystal Palace glass, waste not. . . I'd much rather go
without than comsume dressing prepared behind cloesed doors by some
filthy slob in a disgusting kitchen... don't yoose realize that the
higher end the eatery the filthier.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 14, 2020, 11:46:17 AM8/14/20
You may not find a pepper shaker but every level restaurant puts a
salt shaker on the table.

Taxed and Spent

Aug 14, 2020, 11:50:24 AM8/14/20
Is somebody compiling these gems? It just keeps getting better and better.

Ophelia

Aug 14, 2020, 11:52:38 AM8/14/20
"Gary" wrote in message news:5F36895F...@att.net...
===

Awwwww :(( I am sure you do just fine:)

https://www.avg.com

Sheldon Martin

Aug 14, 2020, 11:53:28 AM8/14/20
Absolutely.

For me the best salad dressing is a tin of rolled anchovy in olive oil
and a big squeeze of fresh lemon... our tomtoes are coming in, ate six
already today. should have checked the basement shelves for anchovy.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 14, 2020, 11:56:57 AM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 02:47:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Nowadays most all eateries do likewise. BJs sells plastic gallon jugs
of major name salad dressings... they are rather inexpensive but we
can't use salad dressings by the gallon.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 14, 2020, 12:03:09 PM8/14/20
What a dumb putz... most Americans only eat restaurant food, typically
from a drive through window.... and more so now than ever with the
virus.

And I don't consider Denny's a restaurant, it's worse than what Guy
considers a Dive.

dsi1

Aug 14, 2020, 12:09:04 PM8/14/20
The locals here love to go to restaurants. A lot of people don't have time to cook and it's great being able to get out of our tiny grass shack and sit with the clan. We don't often to go to fancy restaurants. Mostly, that's for tourists. We took our dad for his birthday at a fancy Waikiki restaurant. That was a pretty good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVPliErGi8

Gary

Aug 14, 2020, 12:56:43 PM8/14/20
Well I've heard from wait staff that frowns on single diners.
tips are lower for a table of one on your station.

Regardless... How boring to sit at a table by yourself to eat?
I don't do that at home either. YAWN!

I'd rather sit in front of a tv to eat and I do that all the
time.

Gary

Aug 14, 2020, 12:57:17 PM8/14/20
Sheldon Martin wrote:

> I bet yoose don't know that
> a goodly percentage of those peppercorns are dry mouse turds... any
> time I ate out I brought my own pepper grinder.... I don't use the
> pepper shaker on the table either, when yoose buy ground pepper a
> goodly portion is dry mouse turds.

HEY! I happen to like ground mouse turd pepper! Works for me.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 14, 2020, 1:17:56 PM8/14/20
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 12:56:43 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> "itsjoan...@webtv.net" wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 7:53:25 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > >
> > > Before the virus mess, I would never eat in a restaurant
> > > by myself. That was a bit weird to me.
> > >
> > Why would you never eat in a restaurant by yourself? What's weird about
> > eating alone? Are you afraid people will point and talk about you if you
> > don't have a dining partner?
>
> Well I've heard from wait staff that frowns on single diners.
> tips are lower for a table of one on your station.

Who gives a shit? I'm not there to make them smile. I'm a very
easy table and I tip a minimum 20% for anything but terrible
service.

> Regardless... How boring to sit at a table by yourself to eat?
> I don't do that at home either. YAWN!
>
> I'd rather sit in front of a tv to eat and I do that all the
> time.

I read when I eat, at home or in restaurants.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Aug 14, 2020, 1:21:32 PM8/14/20
It is more likely to be something ordered from Sysco.

https://www.800-45-sysco.com/s-7-brothsoup-base.aspx

Taxed and Spent

Aug 14, 2020, 1:23:01 PM8/14/20
I rarely find as good as company than dining alone.

Dave Smith

Aug 14, 2020, 1:26:06 PM8/14/20
I often did it when I was working. I would take a newspaper with me,
read the news, do the crossword. It was nice having a meal with my
co-workers but I was out working on my own a lot more than I was working
with anyone.It didn't really bother me.

Sqwertz

Aug 14, 2020, 1:43:07 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 11:42:16 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 19:34:04 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:48:41 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> So says the Fast Food maven. Most high end restaurants offer a
>>> selection of packets...
>>
>>I never LOL at posts except for yours. Hah! You're hilarious!
>
> You are a dumb putz... those packets are labled with the
> manufacturer... so you won't use Heinz Ketchup from a packet. Salad
> dressing in packets are produced by the biggest names in the food
> industry, it's the exact same drssing that major companies sell in
> bottles. And before I'd consume dressing that some pimple faced teen
> who just took a leak and didn't wash slapped together in a restaurant
> eatry I'd make my own... at home I mostly do make my own. My Italian
> dressing is very easy to prepare, juice of a fresh lemon, EVOO,
> s n'p, and some herbs, fresh if I have and during growing season I
> always have parsely, basil and others. The squeezed lemon rinds go
> into my Crystal Palace glass, waste not. . . I'd much rather go
> without than comsume dressing prepared behind cloesed doors by some
> filthy slob in a disgusting kitchen... don't yoose realize that the
> higher end the eatery the filthier.

LOL again! That was a lovely, disjointed and rambling kook fart.
{clap,clap,clap]

-sw

Sqwertz

Aug 14, 2020, 1:46:19 PM8/14/20
Again, that's not true. You're old, out of date, and washed up.

https://www.google.com/search?&q=high+end+restaurants+salt+shakers+table

Read it and ... fuck off.

-sw

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 1:47:07 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 11:14:54 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
We know. You don't know anything about high-end eateries. Or not so
high-end eateries. You're one big nonsense machine.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 1:48:52 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 09:08:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
<dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 3:31:44 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

>> > They seem to prefer to have a server come around with a huge spectacle
>> > of a pepper grinder.
>>
>> Not in a high end restaurant!!
>
>The locals here love to go to restaurants.

McDonalds is not a restaurant, you know.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 1:53:03 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 08:53:51 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> I wonder how many Americans NEVER go to a restaurant.
>
>I will guess that most smart Americans don't go to a
>restaurant currently. Not eat-in or even take-out.

Indeed. We haven't eaten out since late February.

>Before the virus mess, I would never eat in a restaurant
>by myself. That was a bit weird to me.

I wouldn't do that on my own either.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 14, 2020, 1:54:22 PM8/14/20
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 11:56:43 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> "itsjoan...@webtv.net" wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 7:53:25 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> > >
> > > Before the virus mess, I would never eat in a restaurant
> > > by myself. That was a bit weird to me.
> > >
> > Why would you never eat in a restaurant by yourself? What's weird about
> > eating alone? Are you afraid people will point and talk about you if you
> > don't have a dining partner?
>
> Well I've heard from wait staff that frowns on single diners.
> tips are lower for a table of one on your station.

Really? You've heard that? I've 'heard' that a table full of diners leave a lower tip.
So, it just depends on how many cheapskates are at that table. When dining
alone or with a group, I tip according to my meal and I can't help what the others
tip or do not tip the wait staff. Having a table full of diners does not ensure a
large tip.

> Regardless... How boring to sit at a table by yourself to eat?
> I don't do that at home either. YAWN!

I'm never bored when dining alone; I don't need someone to entertain me with
conversation when I'm eating although it is nice when out in a group. Although
there are hundreds like you that need entertainment; face stuck in their phones
from the moment they sit down.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 1:54:43 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 06:06:57 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 8:53:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
>> > I wonder how many Americans NEVER go to a restaurant.
>>
>> I will guess that most smart Americans don't go to a
>> restaurant currently. Not eat-in or even take-out.
>
>Why? You don't contract COVID-19 through food.

You still get near other people. Other people are bad news at the
moment.

>> Before the virus mess, I would never eat in a restaurant
>> by myself. That was a bit weird to me.
>
>And never eating in a restaurant by yourself is a bit weird to me.

I don't find it weird if other people do it, but I've never done it
myself.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 14, 2020, 1:55:08 PM8/14/20
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 12:23:01 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

> I rarely find as good as company than dining alone.

Here, here!

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 1:56:29 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 12:57:09 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>"itsjoan...@webtv.net" wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 7:53:25 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> >
>> > Before the virus mess, I would never eat in a restaurant
>> > by myself. That was a bit weird to me.
>> >
>> Why would you never eat in a restaurant by yourself? What's weird about
>> eating alone? Are you afraid people will point and talk about you if you
>> don't have a dining partner?
>
>Well I've heard from wait staff that frowns on single diners.
>tips are lower for a table of one on your station.

That strikes me as their problem.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 1:57:29 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 06:04:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 6:16:54 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 02:47:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >Denny's gets their salad dressing out of a gallon jar from the
>> >food service supplier, even if it arrives at the table in one
>> >of those little plastic cups.
>>
>> I wonder how many Americans NEVER go to a restaurant.
>
>Since you don't consider fast food to be restaurants, I'd have
>to say: millions.

I think so. Maybe that's the case in many countries.

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 1:59:15 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 12:03:04 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
Drive-throughs are restaurants now? :) I wonder what you mean when you
say "high-end restaurant". That might explain the disagreement about
packet dressing.

>And I don't consider Denny's a restaurant, it's worse than what Guy
>considers a Dive.

But the McDonalds drive through is a high-end restaurant?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 14, 2020, 2:00:07 PM8/14/20
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 12:53:03 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 08:53:51 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:
>
> >> I wonder how many Americans NEVER go to a restaurant.
> >
> >I will guess that most smart Americans don't go to a
> >restaurant currently. Not eat-in or even take-out.

You need to get out more often, Gary. It's a shocking world out there.

> Indeed. We haven't eaten out since late February.

Tsk, tsk.

> >Before the virus mess, I would never eat in a restaurant
> >by myself. That was a bit weird to me.
>
> I wouldn't do that on my own either.

You need to get out more often, too. Maybe you and Gary can hold hands
and comfort each other when you next visit a restaurant.

I don't get this squeamishness for eating alone in a restaurant. Are y'all
terrified someone is going to look at you? Or embarrassed to be alone
at a restaurant? Do you think the world will view you as losers since you

Sqwertz

Aug 14, 2020, 2:00:14 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 11:56:53 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Nowadays most all eateries do likewise. BJs sells plastic gallon jugs
> of major name salad dressings... they are rather inexpensive but we
> can't use salad dressings by the gallon.

Liar.

https://www.bjs.com/products/salad-dressing.jsp

Those things are from foodservice distributors and Costco business
centers, not retail clubs like Sams, BJ's and Costco.

-sw

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 2:01:09 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 11:56:53 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
I'm not going to guess what BJs means but is it high-end? :)

Bruce

Aug 14, 2020, 2:03:21 PM8/14/20
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 08:50:19 -0700, Taxed and Spent
<nospam...@nonospam.com> wrote:

>On 8/14/2020 8:42 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 19:34:04 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> I never LOL at posts except for yours. Hah! You're hilarious!
>>>
>>> -sw
>>
>> You are a dumb putz... those packets are labled with the
>> manufacturer... so you won't use Heinz Ketchup from a packet. Salad
>> dressing in packets are produced by the biggest names in the food
>> industry, it's the exact same drssing that major companies sell in
>> bottles. And before I'd consume dressing that some pimple faced teen
>> who just took a leak and didn't wash slapped together in a restaurant
>> eatry I'd make my own... at home I mostly do make my own. My Italian
>> dressing is very easy to prepare, juice of a fresh lemon, EVOO,
>> s n'p, and some herbs, fresh if I have and during growing season I
>> always have parsely, basil and others. The squeezed lemon rinds go
>> into my Crystal Palace glass, waste not. . . I'd much rather go
>> without than comsume dressing prepared behind cloesed doors by some
>> filthy slob in a disgusting kitchen... don't yoose realize that the
>> higher end the eatery the filthier.
>>

>"the higher end the eatery the filthier."
>
>Is somebody compiling these gems? It just keeps getting better and better.

The more he gets worked up, the higher the percentage nonsense.
It is loading more messages.