Re: Good-Bye

sf

Oct 22, 2014, 1:29:27 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 21:54:02 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>
> > I'm from the Midwest and nobody ever said "put off" the lights. Ever.
> > Again, that use of vocabulary and grammar is a second language screw
> > up. I can understand why it happens, but hearing it is like
> > fingernails on a blackboard to me.
>
> Like hearing someone say they "borrowed" somebody some money. That just
> grates on me.

Now that's a whole different ball of wax! No second language
interference there, just plain denial.

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 2:15:39 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:31:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> Normally I try to ignore or can sort of figure out what the heck is
>> going on. But in this case, I have no clue.
>> Janet US
>
>Well, apparently we here in WA are not the norm for this country! I know
>others here have mentioned scanning checks at home though.

According to you, 'we here in WA' are different in every aspect of
daily life from the rest of the country. But I believe you... (!)

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:27:29 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:12:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
>> On 10/20/2014 9:41 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> The skating in circles part is what I didn't get. Skating rinks are
>>> usually a rectangle so they would be skating in ovals.
>>
>> What if they were on a frozen lake? Frozen river? Doing an exercise?
>> Anyway, it was a joke about digital clocks blinking. It was not intended
>> to put down a generation or to nitpick about the shape of skating rinks.
>> See the humor in life.
>
>I don't know what blinking digital clocks means either.

Thats because youre an imbecile.

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:28:04 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 21:21:33 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
<jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On 2014-10-21 4:18 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, only in school and not at home. Sure, kids can forget what they've
>>> learned, but as a parent I'd feel pretty about my parenting skills if I let
>>> telling time fall by the wayside. We do not have any digital clocks in the
>>> house, only analog. They aren't as uncommon here as some would like us to
>>> believe.
>>>
>> Seriously? We have an analog clock in our kitchen, and we have analog
>> watches. The stove, DVD, VCR, Television, satellite, kitchen timers and
>> alarm clocks, car clocks are all digital.
>
>Sure, the clocks on my DVD and microwave are digital as well, but they're
>not set and never have been. The analog clocks on the walls and on my
>wrist are plenty for me. I guess my car clock is digital and is set. So
>sue me.

My main clock is a restored wind up railway station clock. It's a lot
easier and quicker to read than a digital one anyway.

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:32:10 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:19:05 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2014-10-21 4:48 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:31:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>
>>> They did not teach telling time on an analog clock anywhere that we lived.
>>
>> Bullshit. I've never been to where you have lived... but that's
>> obviously bullshit. How many digital clocks were around when you were
>> a child anyway?
>
>They went digital when her bank stopped dealing in cash.

Sounds plausible. Or Bovable, at least.

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:32:47 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:13:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
>> On 10/21/2014 8:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> I don't know what blinking digital clocks means either. So I really see
>>> no humor there at all.
>>
>> Oh my, think back to the old VCR days
>
>Sorry. I didn't use one so I still don't know.

You've never used a VCR.

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:32:53 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:20:24 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2014-10-21 4:54 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:57:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nobody would call for a tee time at half past seven.
>>
>> I guess if it was half past seven at night, then you would be right.
>> Unless you like playing golf using spot lights... and most ppl seem
>> not to do that.
>>

>If you are far enough north you can do it.

Good point :)

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:43:22 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 19:34:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
>> On 10/20/2014 9:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I have never heard that used here. Never. I have also noticed that you
>>> people in the UK have a tendency to use terms that confuse us over here.
>>> Like fortnight. Nobody here uses that term.
>>
>> Not used often, but I've heard it and evidently you have or would not have
>> broufht it up.

Interesting comment from Ed.

>>> I also learned through work never to use terms like
>>> bi-weekly. That means every two weeks but many people thought it meant
>>> twice a week.

It means twice a week. It makes absolutely no sense to infer it means
two weeks. How could it? Why else would it be bi-WEEKLY?

>So instead I would tell people to come in every two weeks
>>> to pay. Everyone understood that.
>>
>> Why not tell them payday is every fortnight?
>>
>> Pretty sad that you have to avoid using common terms. Blame that on
>> non-caring parents and the school system
>
>Most of these people were older than me.

Your parents and teachers were older than you?
You must be joking, surely...

Hang on, what do you mean 'mostly'?

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:44:07 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:00:27 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:54:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Janet" <h...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>No need for name calling and it is slang.
>>
>> Please review "Expressing Time in English"
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEKLqgvUSDM
>>
>> Janet US
>
>No thanks. I'm not into videos.

ROTFL. She just gets better all the time :)

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:51:58 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 20:32:46 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>>>Afraid you will learn that you are wrong? Because you are.
>>>Janet US
>>
>> Let's see if we can find Julie a youtube video extolling the virtues
>> of the metric system. From what she has said in the past, she has
>> indicated that she can't figure it out.

Haha, that'd be right!

>And I don't need to!

No... of COURSE you don't.

LOL. I love Julie's posts.

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:52:07 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:05:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Janet" <h...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In article <m268h...@news6.newsguy.com>, che...@newsguy.com says...
>>
>>> I like my Bulova wind up wristwatch that I've had forever. It's very
>>> pretty,
>>> never needs a battery, always accurate, and only needs winding.
>>
>> Mine needs no winding, it's solar powered.
>
>That would never work here!

Of course not. The sun doesnt shine in Botherall, or whatever the hell
it is.

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:52:19 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 20:12:59 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:05:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Janet" <h...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>That would never work here!
>>
>> Why not? Small solar powered items don't require strong sunlight. You
>> can operate a solar calculator in cloudy conditions.
>
>The newer ones yes. When they first came out with solar ones they all had a
>battery backup and that was sorely needed here. Otherwise you needed to sit
>under a strong lamp. We just don't get a lot of sun here. But maybe it
>would be enough for a small watch.

I'm amazed you have enough brain cells even to perform basic bodily
functions such as breathing.

Jeßus

Oct 22, 2014, 3:52:37 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 21:46:50 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>"Janet" <h...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In article <m268h...@news6.newsguy.com>, che...@newsguy.com says...
>>
>>> I like my Bulova wind up wristwatch that I've had forever. It's very
>>> pretty,
>>> never needs a battery, always accurate, and only needs winding.
>>
>> Mine needs no winding, it's solar powered.
>
>Do you have enough sun to keep it running?

Clearly Janet has enough sun. Otherwise the clock wouldnt be working.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Pico Rico

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30:51 AM10/22/14

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 20:35:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> <Pico...@nonospam.com> wrote:
>

>>"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

>>> No. She (whoever it was - I've kinda lost the thread) said "*my debit
>>> card* rounds off to the next dollar, putting the balance into my
>>> savings account."
>>>
>>> That's a feature you can get on your debit card here - it rounds up
>>> your purchase and deposits the balance into your savings. An easy way
>>> to save $20-30/month without thinking about it.
>>>
>>> Doris
>>
>>Many of the people that need such to save $20-$30/month without thinking
>>about it are the same people who frivolously spend $100/month without
>>thinking about it.
>>

> Not true, in my case anyway, a poor generalisation.

I knew that would be your response. It is actually a good statement, not a
generalization, and not directed to you personally.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ophelia

Oct 22, 2014, 7:29:33 AM10/22/14

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:50:39 -1000, dsi1
> <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 10/21/2014 12:18 PM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>> Hey that's a benefit I had not thought of, old drivers will not be in
>>> charge. Also, today I went downtown and felt frustrated with the
>>> traffic, how nice if I could have said "Take me to X, and then sat
>>> back and read my e-reader" -
>>>

>>It's going to be a revolution socially, for oldsters, as well as
>>shut-ins, and handicapped folks. For the younger crowd, it's going to be
>>a sexual revolution - just as it was with the coming of the automobile a
>>hundred years ago. Infidelity rates will go through the roof! :-)
>
> Wow! You really have thought this thing through !

Perhaps he has plans ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Oct 22, 2014, 7:29:34 AM10/22/14

<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:47:14 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> Blah, blah, blah. Snipped another Julie bullshit story that only happens
> in her make believe world.
>>

>> > Do people who work in/for shops in your country often behave like
>> > that???
>>

>> Of course not. It's another whacky story.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> And once again Ophelia fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Will she never
> learn that Julie is good about jerking her chain and posting outrageous
> overblown tales?? Apparently not.

Still running around after her and sucking up every word eh? <g>

Here doggy, doggy :))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Oct 22, 2014, 7:40:18 AM10/22/14

> "jinx the minx" <jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>> "jinx the minx" <jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> That's not normal. I have a low end stove and it even has a light
>>> inside and a clock.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it is true. It's ancient as far as appliances go.
>
> Hmmm... Even the stove I had that dated back to the 1970's had a clock on
> it.

So, are you calling Jinx a liar?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Message has been deleted

James Silverton

Oct 22, 2014, 7:50:38 AM10/22/14
On 10/21/2014 7:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> All of those terms are in common use in the US.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>
>> They are common terms to anyone who went to school, US or otherwise.
>> The school system in Bothell is obviously unique.
>
> It's not just Bothell.

If that's so, Bothell is not *unique*.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

James Silverton

Oct 22, 2014, 7:54:37 AM10/22/14
On 10/21/2014 10:56 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:05:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>

>> "Janet" <h...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> In article <m268h...@news6.newsguy.com>, che...@newsguy.com says...

>>> Mine needs no winding, it's solar powered.
>>
>> That would never work here!
>
> Why not? Small solar powered items don't require strong sunlight. You
> can operate a solar calculator in cloudy conditions.

Not only that, "solar" is a misnomer; standard artificial light will
charge up a watch.

Julie Bove

Oct 22, 2014, 7:57:34 AM10/22/14

"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.invalid> wrote in message
If she says that is a normal stove, then yes. But then later she said it
was an older stove. Is it normal to have an older stove? Probably not.
But again I suppose it depends on where you live. Some parts of this
country have older houses too. Here, normal is tear it down and rebuild.
Lots and lots of newer houses and apartments here with newer appliances.

The Cook

Oct 22, 2014, 7:59:39 AM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 07:11:56 -0300, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:58:51 -1000, dsi1
><ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

>>> I recall reading about that a couple of years ago. Evidently, it is
>>> working. Processing checks is expensive compared to EFT.
>>
>>I'm fairly certain that moving actual paper around is considered a
>>problem for banks. I knew a guy that worked for a check processing
>>service. His shift was early evening to late at night. Near as I can
>>figure, they verified the bank's accounting and sorted and archived the
>>paper.
>>
>>Banks probably like EFTs because it's cheaper and faster to process and
>>they get to charge merchants for the service. They get to have their
>>cake and gorge their fat faces in it too. They also make the merchants
>>wait for their piece of the cake. I don't see any money from my charge
>>sales for 3 or 4 days. God know what the hell the banks are doing with
>>all that free money. Damn their eyes!
>

>I think that's pretty much correct. With our condo fees about ten
>years ago we decided it was too expensive to move away from monthly
>cheques to auto debits. Then a couple of years ago the bank
>approached us to switch, no extra costs !
>
>What do they do with all the profits ?? Pay the CEOs grotesque
>salaries and bonusses (sp) and service the shareholders :)

I don't remember having to pay for writing checks. Maybe I did when
we were first married 50+ years ago. We have direct deposit for our
regular incoming money. The bank makes at least 98% of our payments
at no charge. And I don't spend money on envelopes and stamps every
month. I just checked the price of first class mail stamps right now
-- $.49 each. So I save $3.43 per month or $41.16 per year. We are
also using the "Forever" stamps we bought at least 5 years ago.

I don't know what the bank is doing with the money they earn. They
certainly are not paying depositors much in the way of interest but I
noticed that Wells Fargo recently increased their dividend.
--
Susan N.

Ophelia

Oct 22, 2014, 7:59:40 AM10/22/14

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Ugh!

But then later she said it
> was an older stove. Is it normal to have an older stove? Probably not.
> But again I suppose it depends on where you live. Some parts of this
> country have older houses too. Here, normal is tear it down and rebuild.
> Lots and lots of newer houses and apartments here with newer appliances.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

The Cook

Oct 22, 2014, 8:13:46 AM10/22/14
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 16:05:34 -0400, Dave Smith
>> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>>That's Julie's universe for you. It is the only place where they have
>>>banks that do not deal with cash.

>>>Are you seriously trying to make sense out of one of Julie's stories?
>>
>> Normally I try to ignore or can sort of figure out what the heck is
>> going on. But in this case, I have no clue.
>> Janet US
>
>Well, apparently we here in WA are not the norm for this country! I know
>others here have mentioned scanning checks at home though.

My son scanned checks when he lived in VA and his bank was in TX. I
was recently in a brokerage office and gave them a check. My husband
asked when it would deposited. The broker said right now and pointed
to a check scanner on her desk. Went directly to their bank. She
said it might take a couple of hours for it to show up in our account
if I checked online. Previously they walked across the parking lot to
the bank.

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 8:28:43 AM10/22/14
On 2014-10-22 12:52 AM, sf wrote:

>>> I can tell you the main reason why the women got worse by 60. It's
>>> because men insist on doing all the driving all the time and women
>>> don't get much time behind the wheel unless the man in her life has
>>> been told he can't drive anymore.
>>>

>> Okay. That's your theory, which is yours. How much time do women need
>> behind the wheel?
>
> Try not driving and see how it goes. Oh, wait - you never do anything
> wrong. No self examination, just pat yourself on the back about how
> great you are all the time, every time.

That didn't answer my question about how much time women need behind the
wheel. The fact is that men do drive more than women, and they are
involved in more accidents, and more serious accidents... but few
accidents per mile driven. No self examination? I do look at my own
driving and I do think about what I am doing.

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 8:31:23 AM10/22/14
On 10/21/2014 6:12 PM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> I was very very lucky that morning, it was scary. It's difficult
> though, I don't feel we can put the onus on doctors to report these
> old people or they won't go to the doc when they should. I think it
> comes back to family, they must relieve them of the keys.

My father realized it was time to relinquish the car keys when he backed
out of the garage and took out the neighbor's fence that designates the
property line. There is a space in the driveway for backing out or for
parking an extra car, directly opposite the garage:

http://i57.tinypic.com/wvy0sz.jpg

Having to pay $$$ to replace the fence was an expensive wakeup call. He
gave my mom his keys that day.

Jill

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 8:35:22 AM10/22/14
On 2014-10-22 5:53 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>> I can tell you the main reason why the women got worse by 60. It's
>>> because men insist on doing all the driving all the time and women
>>> don't get much time behind the wheel unless the man in her life has
>>> been told he can't drive anymore.
>>
>> Those women must be... what's the opposite of pussy-whipped?
>> Dick-slapped.
>
> That was how it used to be, a control issue, but not nearly so much
> now.

I don't know if it was a control issue. Perhaps it is a carryover from
the days when men drove the carriage, which also meant grooming and
harnessing the horses and it involved issues of strength. Men drove
their wives and families where they needed to go. They also changed
the tires, and in those days you never drive far without getting a flat.

I have a niece who never drivers.She has a license, but never drivers.
OTOH I have a nephew, her cousin, who did not get his license until his
mid 30s and rarely drives. He would rather be a passenger than drive.
My best friends mother never drover. Her husband wanted her to get her
license but she did not want to.

Things have changed over the years. Women often have their own cars and
are as likely to drive as men are. sf's argument is about 50 years out
of date.

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 8:41:37 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 6:38 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> Time was when married women never learned to drive "Oh he loves to
> drive me where I want to go" - two things, she didn't get to touch the
> car and he knew she could not get far from home.
>
> Now most families have two cars, they are both working, and not so
> many females are understanding of learning to drive only being for the
> boys.
>
> It is quite clearly delineated by age group, I can remember back in
> the late 50s when I a rare woman driver.

My maternal grandmother never learned how to drive. My paternal
grandmother knew how; she was a rare bird who got divorced during WWII
so she had to go to work and drive to get there. By the time I "met"
her, however, she didn't own a car. The town was tiny enough she'd walk
the couple of blocks to the grocer and back.

Jill

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 8:43:28 AM10/22/14
On 2014-10-22 1:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Nope, just a normal old 4 burner stove with no clock on it. The oven
>>> doesn't have a light inside, either. And no, not because it is burnt
>>> out.
>>>

>> Sorry. I didn't realize you were Amish.
>
> OMG you are denigrating all the Amish people. Just because they can't
> tell rime on a digital clock you have no reason to say bad thingd avout
> them.

;-)

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 8:59:00 AM10/22/14
On 10/21/2014 1:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/20/2014 11:46 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> Have you heard about the bell tower of the church in Messina (Sicily)?
>> "Campanile del Duomo di Messina" Something moves every quarter hour,
>> more things move at the half hour and even more on the hour, but every
>> level moves at noon. It's truly a sight to behold.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1rBw3vkEuY
>>

> They should replace it with a digital clock that shows a video.

LOLOL! And advertisements!

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 9:02:34 AM10/22/14
On 10/21/2014 3:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> How do you do that and not get hit with Reg D charges?
>>
>> Why would I get hit with Reg D charges? If I write a check for $4.10, I
>> round it up in my checkbook to 5.00. How do you suppose the "bank" would
>> even know that? I'm thinking you misunderstood.
>>
>> Cheri
>
> I'd never take the chance. What if they audit your checkbook when they
> come to inspect the mattress tags?

Damn! I cut off the mattress tags! I guess I'll have to hide the next
time someone knocks on the door... ;)

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 9:04:56 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 12:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/21/2014 8:10 PM, Roger wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> In the US (at least) Visa cards start with the number 4; Mastercard
>>> the number 5; American Express the number 7. Not sure about
>>> Discover... probably 6.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>
>> My Amex starts with a 3, but that has nothing to do with the discussion.
>
> American Express uses the first two numbers of the card to identify
> itself. That two-digit number will be either 34 or 37.

Okay, I was wrong about the Am-Ex. I've never had an Am-Ex card. But
yes, the beginning numbers designate what type of card it is, with or
without a logo.

Jill

> The third and fourth digit signify the type of card and the currency
> being used, according to Clearpoint Credit Counseling. The next six
> digits, five through 11, are the number of the account, while the 12th
> through 14th digits represent the card number within said account.
>

> Read more:
> http://www.businessinsider.com/credit-card-numbers-meaning-2014-7#ixzz3GqY36pLL

The Cook

Oct 22, 2014, 9:11:56 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 20:14:04 -0600, Janet Bostwick
<nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:30:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
><juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:20:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>>> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> snip

>>> snip
>>> I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you go to
>>> a physical bank building and go inside and want to cash a check and
>>> they don't have any cash money in the building for their customers? Or
>>> that you can't withdraw cash from your checking account? That you
>>> 'must' use an ATM to get any money? What bank are you using?
>>> Janet US
>>
>>Ha! You can't *cash* a check. All you can do is deposit it into your
>>account and you don't need to go anywhere for that. You can use your
>>computer or smart phone to scan it. This is BECU.
>>
>>The main branch is the only one that has any cash. If you walk in with cash
>>and want to open an account, they will set up an account for you then direct
>>you to the ATM where you will deposit it into your account. I don't know
>>what happens if you want to open a checking account. I suppose they might
>>have starter checks to give you.
>>
>>I have been banking with BECU since the 80's. When I didn't have direct
>>deposit, it was a PITA with my paychecks or any other checks that people
>>might give me. In those days when I didn't live in the area, I had to mail
>>the checks to them to get them deposited.
>
>O.k., you have an account at this bank BECU, and you can't walk in
>with a check and have them cash it for you? The only way you can get
>cash for free is from this bank's ATM. If you want cash elsewhere you
>have to pay for another bank's ATM? I understand the other bank
>ATM, I just think your bank is crazy service wise. For the service
>you are getting from them, you shouldn't be paying any fees at all at
>your bank.
>Janet US

It seems that BECU is not a bank but a credit union. I assume that
you know when you sign up that you cannot get cash except through ATMs
or maybe going to their main office.

I love living in a small rural town. When I walked into the credit
union the teller greeted me by name and had my account up by the time
I reached her station. Not that easy at the bank since we no longer
go in unless it is something unusual like depositing a check. My DIL
used to write a check and mail it. Now she can go into the branch of
our bank in VA and make a deposit which shows up in our account in NC.

Janet Bostwick

Oct 22, 2014, 9:12:02 AM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 18:52:26 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 21:46:50 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
>wrote:
>

>>"Janet" <h...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> In article <m268h...@news6.newsguy.com>, che...@newsguy.com says...

>>> Mine needs no winding, it's solar powered.
>>
>>Do you have enough sun to keep it running?
>
>Clearly Janet has enough sun. Otherwise the clock wouldnt be working.

wind powered should work in Bothell.
Janet US

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 9:21:37 AM10/22/14
On 10/21/2014 6:49 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Sure you can, but you don't.
>>
>> Yes, because it isn't necessary to have clocks in every corner of every
>> room. Since you're an older gentleman, perhaps your aging eyes
>> necessitate
>> having digital clocks available from every angle.
>>

> Sorry to burst your ballon, but that is not the case. My last three
> ovens have had digital clocks. All VCRs, DVDs and computers have had
> digital clocks.

And your point would be...? I don't use the clock on the VCR/DVD combo
player for anything. The clock on my laptop is built-in; I don't use it
to tell time. If I want to know what time it is I look at my analog
watch. Oh, it's 21 minutes past nine. :)

Jill

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 22, 2014, 9:22:52 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 12:41 AM, sf wrote:

> Lights are not shut or closed. If you want to be precise, then say
> "switch" it on or off when you're talking about a light switch. When
> it's a lamp, it is *turned* on or off.

Why is that? I have lamps that work by pushing a switch or pressing a
button. Nothing is turned so I'd never use something so inappropriate
as "turned" off or on.

Switching is definitely correct. I suggest you now try to convert a 100
million or so people to use it so it become common usage in our language.

Nancy Young

Oct 22, 2014, 9:23:30 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 3:40 AM, Jeßus wrote:

> It means twice a week. It makes absolutely no sense to infer it means
> two weeks. How could it? Why else would it be bi-WEEKLY?

We produced payroll biweekly for the employees (monthly for
retirees). That is not twice a week, it is every two weeks.

Our system had other options we could use, such as
semi-monthly which is twice a month.

nancy

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 22, 2014, 9:26:25 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 1:26 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 00:43:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>>> Oh, but it does! You can't take the joke when that part is changed.
>>> Point proven. The "joke" is not funny.
>>>

>> It was but you are trying to change it in a manner that makes no sense
>> at all.You are so far off the point . . .
>
> Point proven. When the subject is changed to dementia/Alzheimer's,
> suddenly it's not funny *to you*.

Or to anyone else. The meaning is just not there. It applies to those
raised with digital clocks.

Nothing proven. Would you take a group of geriatrics with dementia and
put them on ice skates? For joke to work, it has to have a hint of
truthfulness.

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 9:28:26 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 12:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/21/2014 8:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I don't know what blinking digital clocks means either. So I really see
>> no humor there at all.
>
> Oh my, think back to the old VCR days

I guess she's never had even a brief power outage...

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 9:31:25 AM10/22/14
On 10/21/2014 3:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:20:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>> My bank doesn't deal in cash. They do have once branch that has cash. I
>> haven't been there since the 1980's. It's all ATMs.
> snip
> I don't understand what you are saying. Are you saying that you go to
> a physical bank building and go inside and want to cash a check and
> they don't have any cash money in the building for their customers? Or
> that you can't withdraw cash from your checking account? That you
> 'must' use an ATM to get any money? What bank are you using?
> Janet US

I'm sure she never physically goes inside a bank building, but of course
they have cash. I'd like to know what that ATM is doling out if it
isn't *cash*. Insert card, get tokens? Coupons for diet soda?

Jill

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 22, 2014, 9:35:34 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 8:28 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> That didn't answer my question about how much time women need behind the
> wheel. The fact is that men do drive more than women, and they are
> involved in more accidents, and more serious accidents... but few
> accidents per mile driven. No self examination? I do look at my own
> driving and I do think about what I am doing.

In my house it works that way. Mywife renewed her license last July.
She has never driven the last two cars I've had and I gave her car away
about two years ago.

Thinking of our friends, I don't know of any where the woman drives if
the husband/boyfriend is with them.

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 9:38:03 AM10/22/14
On 10/21/2014 10:08 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:31:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>

>> "Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message

>>> Normally I try to ignore or can sort of figure out what the heck is
>>> going on. But in this case, I have no clue.
>>> Janet US
>>
>> Well, apparently we here in WA are not the norm for this country! I know
>> others here have mentioned scanning checks at home though.
>
> yes, we have that. What does that have to do with your statement
> "My bank doesn't deal in cash. They do have once branch that has
> cash. I
> haven't been there since the 1980's. It's all ATMs."

IMHO, there are stand-alone ATMs which may or may not be associated with
her/your specific bank. If it's not your bank's ATM they'll charge a
processing fee, sure. If you go to an ATM at a bank where you have an
account you get CASH. There shouldn't be a fee for using an ATM at a
bank where you have an account.

> Scanning checks doesn't mean there is no cash available.
> You haven't given an answer to my question.
> Janet US

I can scan checks for deposit, sure. That certainly wasn't the issue at
hand when she said banks don't have cash. Scanning deposits doesn't
offer a cash back option... you do it at home via computer with a scanner.

Jill

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 22, 2014, 9:39:45 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 1:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Hmmm... Even the stove I had that dated back to the 1970's had a clock
>>> on it.
>>
>> Our about 4 year old Bertazzoni has no clock. It does have
>> electronic ignition, convection fan and oven light but no clock and we
>> never missed it.
>
> Hmmm... Does it have a timer?

Nope. We've had ovens with timers, but never used them If we want to
time something we set the timer on the microwave or a kitchen timer you
can carry with you. Can use a cell phone timer for that too.

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 9:42:49 AM10/22/14
I am not sure what the point is that jinx is trying to make... something
about my aging eyes and needing digital clocks available from every
angle. I don't have a problem reading analog clocks, but there are two
digital clocks facing me as I sit here, the one on the bottom corner of
the monitor and the one on my cordless phone. My argument here has been
about the younger generation having problems understanding the concept
of clockwise and counterclockwise because they... younger people... have
less and less experience with analog clocks.

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 9:45:12 AM10/22/14
On 2014-10-22 9:31 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I'm sure she never physically goes inside a bank building, but of course
> they have cash. I'd like to know what that ATM is doling out if it
> isn't *cash*. Insert card, get tokens? Coupons for diet soda?

Why would she? Apparently her bank does not deal with cash. Go figger.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 22, 2014, 9:46:54 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 3:27 AM, Jeßus wrote:

> My main clock is a restored wind up railway station clock. It's a lot
> easier and quicker to read than a digital one anyway.

Yes, but it is not easy to get an accurate time. You can glance at the
clock face and see it is 2:25, but with a digital clock you will know it
is really 2:25:17.

Of course, life is easier if you think of it as "almost half past"

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 9:51:39 AM10/22/14
On 10/21/2014 9:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 10/20/2014 9:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I have never heard that used here. Never. I have also noticed that you
>> people in the UK have a tendency to use terms that confuse us over here.
>> Like fortnight. Nobody here uses that term.

You call yourself a reader/writer. Sheesh.

> Not used often, but I've heard it and evidently you have or would not
> have broufht it up.
>
>> I also learned through work never to use terms like
>> bi-weekly. That means every two weeks but many people thought it meant
>> twice a week. So instead I would tell people to come in every two weeks
>> to pay. Everyone understood that.
>
> Why not tell them payday is every fortnight?
>
> Pretty sad that you have to avoid using common terms. Blame that on
> non-caring parents and the school system

Naw, just blame her. She doesn't care enough to educate herself,
despite what her parents may (or may not) have done. Everything is
reduced to what is encapsulated in her little world where she never goes
outside (except to shop). She won't bother to complain if a salesperson
goes on a rampage through her house after having delivered a loaner
bedframe on her lunch hour (another classic!).

Jill

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 22, 2014, 9:55:54 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 8:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> My maternal grandmother never learned how to drive. My paternal
> grandmother knew how; she was a rare bird who got divorced during WWII
> so she had to go to work and drive to get there. By the time I "met"
> her, however, she didn't own a car. The town was tiny enough she'd walk
> the couple of blocks to the grocer and back.
>
> Jill

No need to even go back that far. My mother and mother-in-law did not
drive. Of six aunts, only one did, but she did not have her own car.
We also lived in a city with public transportation so it was not as much
a necessity as it is today.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 22, 2014, 10:01:35 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 6:00 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>> Sure it is The numbers groups have meanings. First digit is 4 for
>> VISA, 5 for Mastercard, 6 for Discover/Diners Club, 3 for American
>> Express/Diners Club (those are shorter than 16).
>
> I am certain you are wrong - those Scotiabank cards you linked to bear
> no resemblance to my card I use for debits from my checking accounts.

It does not matter what it looks like, what matters is the coding of the
numbers. Just look at the first digit and you will know if it is
processed by one of the majors companies.

jinx the minx

Oct 22, 2014, 10:02:36 AM10/22/14
"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
> "Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.invalid> wrote in message news:m2852p$1mk$1...@dont-email.me...
>>

>> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "jinx the minx" <jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Hmmm... Even the stove I had that dated back to the 1970's had a clock >> on
>>> it.
>>
>> So, are you calling Jinx a liar?
>
> If she says that is a normal stove, then yes. But then later she said it
> was an older stove. Is it normal to have an older stove? Probably not.
> But again I suppose it depends on where you live. Some parts of this
> country have older houses too. Here, normal is tear it down and rebuild.
> Lots and lots of newer houses and apartments here with newer appliances.

By "normal" I meant it has 4 burners and an oven, like most stoves,
including yours. I did not mean that it was normal to not have a clock on
it nor that it was normal to own an old one, oh brilliant one. My house
was built in the 1990's, so the stove is not some antique relic from a
bygone era, as much as it may seem to you. It doesn't have a clock on it
and I'm ok with that since the clock doesn't cook my food. I can see how
having a clock on a stove would be an important feature for folks that
don't cook, however. Otherwise, what purpose would the stove serve?
--
jinx the minx

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 22, 2014, 10:05:53 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 6:15 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>> If the card is ATM only, it does not have to be associated. If you can
>> usr it for POS purchases, it has to be processed by someone. The first
>> digit of your card number will tell you who. 4 for Visa, 5 for MasterCard
>
> It can be used in an ATM and for debits for sales. I am curious now
> because there is absolutely nothing, anywhere that links it to a
> credit card company, I might even call past the bank tomorrow and go
> in and ask !

Before you call, what is the first digit of the account number? Good
chance it is a 4 or 5. There has to be a uniform code to route the
charges properly.

Doris Night

Oct 22, 2014, 10:09:41 AM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 01:05:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>On 10/21/2014 11:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> Hmmm... Even the stove I had that dated back to the 1970's had a clock
>> on it.
>
>Our about 4 year old Bertazzoni has no clock. It does have electronic
>ignition, convection fan and oven light but no clock and we never missed it.

My MIL's gas range has no clock, and it's also about 4 years old. She
bought the cheapest one she could find.

Doris

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 10:09:56 AM10/22/14
> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
>
>> I guess it wasn't so much the sequence of events that happened but the
>> salesclerk who turned snippy on me after it happened. First she avoided
>> my calls by just not answering when I called the store. And my car
>> was in
>> the shop so I couldn't drive down there to straighten out the mess. When
>> I finally did get her on the phone, she just went ballistic in me when I
>> refused to accept the larger bed. She then drove to my house on her
>> lunch break to bring me a loaner frame but she ran all through my house,
>> screaming and yelling like a banshee telling me that because of the
>> mistake, she had no time to eat lunch or even wind down which clearly
>> needed to do.

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things you've ever posted.

The first time she turned "snippy" on the phone a normal person would
have asked to speak to a supervisor. If the woman wouldn't take your
calls, gee, call back and speak with someone else. These days orders
are computerized, dontcha know.

Sales people do *not* drive to your house to deliver bedframes on their
lunch hour. They certainly don't run around in your house screaming
like a banshee. Do you *really* expect anyone to believe this?!

What was the name of this company? What was the name of the crazy lady
who ran rampant through your house because she didn't get to eat lunch?
I'll bet you can't tell us because it simply isn't true.

Jill

Doris Night

Oct 22, 2014, 10:18:40 AM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 04:56:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
>>> Hmmm... Even the stove I had that dated back to the 1970's had a clock
>>> on
>>> it.
>>
>> So, are you calling Jinx a liar?
>
>If she says that is a normal stove, then yes. But then later she said it
>was an older stove. Is it normal to have an older stove? Probably not.
>But again I suppose it depends on where you live.

There is nothing abnormal about having an older stove. As long as an
appliance still works, there should be no reason to replace it.

>Some parts of this
>country have older houses too. Here, normal is tear it down and rebuild.
>Lots and lots of newer houses and apartments here with newer appliances.

That's just weird. Do they even do that to lovely old century homes?
The house I live in was built in 1880.

Doris

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 10:29:59 AM10/22/14
It depends on where you live. Public transportation is not available
everywhere. No buses, no trains. If you want to get to the store you
have to own a car and be able to drive.

My 90 year old aunt still drives. I can't speak to how well, but she's
very independent. She also has some of her kids and grandkids living
near her who can help if she needs it. She still hosts a big
Thanksgiving gathering every year and does most of the cooking. :)

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 10:32:23 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 12:41 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:22:27 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/21/2014 11:12 AM, sf wrote:
>>

>>> What still gets under my skin is the she/he pronoun mix-up, as does
>>> "close the light" and "shut the light". It's "Turn the light off"!!!
>>> Grrrr. We close/shut a door and close/shut the window. The main
>>> difference between close (which implies not to slam it) and shut (all
>>> the way) is the amount of force used when doing it.
>>>

>> Regional dialects. Just like soda, pop, tonic, coke.
>>
>> All three are used in Philadelphia and I can tell you what part of the
>> city you were raised in.
>>
>> Also, you shut down a machine, you shut down a power plant, so why not
>> shut a light?
>
> Lights are not shut or closed. If you want to be precise, then say
> "switch" it on or off when you're talking about a light switch. When
> it's a lamp, it is *turned* on or off.

Why does it matter? You know what it means even if it annoys you.

Jill

graham

Oct 22, 2014, 10:34:20 AM10/22/14
On 21/10/2014 10:54 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I'm from the Midwest and nobody ever said "put off" the lights. Ever.
>> Again, that use of vocabulary and grammar is a second language screw
>> up. I can understand why it happens, but hearing it is like
>> fingernails on a blackboard to me.
>
> Like hearing someone say they "borrowed" somebody some money. That just
> grates on me.
>
> Cheri
And the people who say "bring" when they mean "take".
Graham

graham

Oct 22, 2014, 10:37:11 AM10/22/14
On 22/10/2014 4:07 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 19:10:10 -0600, graham <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 21/10/2014 3:27 PM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>>> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:00:28 -0600, graham <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>>

> . OTOH, my guts tighten up just a little when I see a batty

>>> I see more old men and that's before I begin on the silly old men in
>>> spring with top down, bald heads and bimbos alongside them!
>>>
>> You evidently haven't seen the stats that show that women drive men to
>> an earlier grave!
>> Why don't you stop being such a misandrist?
>> Graham
>
> Before you throw insults around take a look above at your comment on
> old women. I reserve the right to fire back when you get started on
> your mysogynistic comments. You don't like it ? Don't start it.

NO! YOU are the one who is always making snide misandrist comments! Mine
was a reaction to your latest!

Brooklyn1

Oct 22, 2014, 10:56:01 AM10/22/14
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>"Janet" <h...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In article <m24dsn$crp$1...@dont-email.me>, juli...@frontier.com says...

>>> It's not funny at all and I can't imagine an employer who would be so lax
>>> as
>>> to talk slang like that.
>>>
>> It's not slang; it's used formally in spoken business conversation
>> every day. Just like "Ten past, twenty to," etc.
>>
>> You live in such a fantasy world you can't even remember the real one.
>>
>> Janet UK
>
>Maybe in *your* country that is commonly used. It most certainly is not
>here. Not in business situations. Not anywhere I have worked. That's not
>the proper way to speak. Not here anyway. You either say it in regular
>time or military time, depending on where you work. Even when I worked at
>the golf course and put groups out in fifteen minute increments, we did not
>say things like that. Nobody would call for a tee time at half past seven.

Only because that that would be too early (7:30AM) or too late
(7:30PM). LOL The only job you would have done at a golf course is
clean the toilets, for one day and then you'd be fired.
What a nincompoop you are, Julie... how time is verbalized is very
different from how it is written

Brooklyn1

Oct 22, 2014, 11:03:34 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:09:01 -0400, Nancy Young
<rjynly...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On 10/21/2014 8:37 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 20:07:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>

>>> "Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

>>> Maybe in Canada they use those terms commonly but they do not here.
>>
>> Well, I guess that's it then.
>
>All of those terms are in common use in the US.
>
>nancy

And more... farmers don't need a clock... in agricultural districts
there are only two times; day and night.

Brooklyn1

Oct 22, 2014, 11:07:05 AM10/22/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:12:59 -0600, Janet Bostwick
<nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:09:01 -0400, Nancy Young
><rjynly...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On 10/21/2014 8:37 AM, Doris Night wrote:

>>> Well, I guess that's it then.
>>
>>All of those terms are in common use in the US.
>>
>>nancy
>
>Yes, I agree with you Nancy. 'What time is it? It's a quarter to
>two.' or 'it's one-forty-five'
>Janet US

Hereabouts it's nigh time for school to let out... only relative
because the roads will be traversed by lots of yallow busses, so best
to keep the tractors off the roads.

Brooklyn1

Oct 22, 2014, 11:19:49 AM10/22/14
lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>Well it's far worse when I see the plethora of old men driving
>vehicles who should be taken off the road !

Older women are far worse... many are banned at golf courses from
driving golf carts, fact.

jmcquown

Oct 22, 2014, 11:23:07 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 12:04 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:21:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>
>> Keyboarding is starting to go the way of the wind as well. Wouldn't
>> surprise me at all if they were to eventually change the way the keyboard is
>> laid out. It is only laid out like it is now due to the way the old timey
>> typewriters worked. They put the most commonly used keys in certain areas
>> to prevent the little (don't know what you call them) thingies that made
>> each letter print on the inked tape from getting tangled up too often. They
>> still could get tangled once in a while though.
>
> Yes, keys could get tangled and the QWERTY keyboard is laid out to
> slow typists down, not to speed them up.

Wrong. I type faster on a QWERTY than I ever would have on a Dvorak.

As it is, my s key is not
> labeled and my e key is unreadable, E looks like : at the moment. O
> looks a little ragged, but there's no problem telling what it's
> supposed to be.

IOW, touch typing. How would the keys get tangled?!

I don't have to see the letters on my keyboard to know where the home
row keys are or any of the other keys. There's nothing wrong with
knowing how to type.

I think it's sad no one has to learn to type or spell. I don't live in
a touchpad icon world. I don't want to. Sorry.

Jill

Kalmia

Oct 22, 2014, 11:27:47 AM10/22/14
Or photos of squash varieties - ha.

Kalmia

Oct 22, 2014, 11:29:22 AM10/22/14
On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:23:30 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 10/22/2014 3:40 AM, Jeßus wrote:

> > It means twice a week. It makes absolutely no sense to infer it means
>
> > two weeks. How could it? Why else would it be bi-WEEKLY?
>

> We produced payroll biweekly for the employees (monthly for
>
> retirees). That is not twice a week, it is every two weeks.
>

> Our system had other options we could use, such as
>
> semi-monthly which is twice a month.
>

> nancy

At one time, I was paid every two weeks. At the beginning of a year, I'd study the calendar to see when those nice 3 paycheck months would occur. It felt almost like an extra paycheck.
I'd look for those months which had 3 Saturdays, as the pay period ran thru Saturday. This year, it wud've been March, May and August.

Brooklyn1

Oct 22, 2014, 11:32:39 AM10/22/14
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>My mother and mother-in-law did not
>drive. Of six aunts, only one did, but she did not have her own car.
>We also lived in a city with public transportation so it was not as much
>a necessity as it is today.

My mother never drove... don't need a car in NYC... in fact a car is
more a liability in NYC.

Nancy Young

Oct 22, 2014, 11:42:02 AM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 11:29 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:23:30 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:

>> We produced payroll biweekly for the employees (monthly for
>>
>> retirees). That is not twice a week, it is every two weeks.

> At one time, I was paid every two weeks. At the beginning of a year,
> I'd study the calendar to see when those nice 3 paycheck months would
> occur. It felt almost like an extra paycheck.
> I'd look for those months which had 3 Saturdays, as the pay period
> ran thru Saturday. This year, it wud've been March, May and August.

The free paycheck, I called it. However, it doesn't really
come into effect on the month when you get paid three times.
You get paid around the first, that's spoken for with the
beginning of the month bills, the 15th, you pay the middle
of the month bills, and the third paycheck is around the
end of the month ... just in time to pay the first bills of
the next month.

But in the next month, all of a sudden there's a paycheck with
no real bills due. Usually happened twice a year. Once in a
blue moon, we would have an extra paycheck in a year, 27 checks.

nancy

sf

Oct 22, 2014, 11:45:18 AM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 11:23:00 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> IOW, touch typing. How would the keys get tangled?!

Sounds like you never used an old fashioned (non-electric) typewriter.
http://ak5.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/415237/preview/stock-footage-fingers-hitting-keys-of-old-fashioned-typewriter-in-close-up.jpg

sf

Oct 22, 2014, 11:49:53 AM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:28:18 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 10/22/2014 12:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 10/21/2014 8:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>

> >> I don't know what blinking digital clocks means either. So I really see
> >> no humor there at all.
> >
> > Oh my, think back to the old VCR days
>
> I guess she's never had even a brief power outage...

We have decent power grids. The last time the power went out at my
house was the '89 earthquake and it was back on within a few hours;
but we didn't have phone service for 3 days.

sf

Oct 22, 2014, 11:51:30 AM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:32:15 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Just saying.

sf

Oct 22, 2014, 11:55:42 AM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 07:54:42 -0400, James Silverton
<not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 10/21/2014 10:56 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:05:12 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
> >

> >> "Janet" <h...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> That would never work here!
> >
> > Why not? Small solar powered items don't require strong sunlight. You
> > can operate a solar calculator in cloudy conditions.
> >

> Not only that, "solar" is a misnomer; standard artificial light will
> charge up a watch.

I wish outdoor lighting worked as well on solar power as calculators
do. I've never owned a solar powered watch, don't even know if I've
seen one for sale - but I'd buy one to use. I just had a watch
battery replaced. $5 for the battery, $10 for the labor + tax. Ouch.

sf

Oct 22, 2014, 11:59:26 AM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:28:41 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> >> Okay. That's your theory, which is yours. How much time do women need
> >> behind the wheel?
> >
> > Try not driving and see how it goes. Oh, wait - you never do anything
> > wrong. No self examination, just pat yourself on the back about how
> > great you are all the time, every time.
>
> That didn't answer my question about how much time women need behind the
> wheel. The fact is that men do drive more than women, and they are
> involved in more accidents, and more serious accidents... but few
> accidents per mile driven. No self examination? I do look at my own
> driving and I do think about what I am doing.

You've never heard "use it or lose it"? They are not using their
driving skills when the old fart insists on doing all the driving.

sf

Oct 22, 2014, 12:02:02 PM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:35:19 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Things have changed over the years. Women often have their own cars and
> are as likely to drive as men are. sf's argument is about 50 years out
> of date.

You're completely wrong.

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 12:12:29 PM10/22/14
On 2014-10-22 10:09 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Sales people do *not* drive to your house to deliver bedframes on their
> lunch hour. They certainly don't run around in your house screaming
> like a banshee. Do you *really* expect anyone to believe this?!
>
> What was the name of this company? What was the name of the crazy lady
> who ran rampant through your house because she didn't get to eat lunch?
> I'll bet you can't tell us because it simply isn't true.

I am still waiting to hear what type of car her daughter bought herself.
This is one of the reasons that I dumped so hard on Julie. She is a
narcissist and a pathological liar, and too many people here would
trying to deal with her as if she was normal, even defending her against
those of us who were critical of her for her lying and general
stupidity. At least she is getting the attention she so desperately craves.

Cheri

Oct 22, 2014, 12:14:24 PM10/22/14

> I started driving at age 11 but my bad habits are few but I would
> still be willing to be tested on a regular basis. Driving is a
> privilege, you are in control of a potential killer, and having to
> regularly 'earn' that privilege doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Me too.

Cheri

Cheri

Oct 22, 2014, 12:15:23 PM10/22/14

> On 10/22/2014 8:41 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> My maternal grandmother never learned how to drive. My paternal
>> grandmother knew how; she was a rare bird who got divorced during WWII
>> so she had to go to work and drive to get there. By the time I "met"
>> her, however, she didn't own a car. The town was tiny enough she'd walk
>> the couple of blocks to the grocer and back.
>>
>> Jill
>
> No need to even go back that far. My mother and mother-in-law did not
> drive. Of six aunts, only one did, but she did not have her own car. We
> also lived in a city with public transportation so it was not as much a
> necessity as it is today.

In my family, only my grandmother didn't drive, all the other women did/do.

Cheri

Cheri

Oct 22, 2014, 12:20:24 PM10/22/14

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message
I don't find that to be true at all, most of the near misses are old men
driving, especially when they're backing out.

Cheri

Cheri

Oct 22, 2014, 12:24:24 PM10/22/14

> "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm from the Midwest and nobody ever said "put off" the lights. Ever.
>>> Again, that use of vocabulary and grammar is a second language screw
>>> up. I can understand why it happens, but hearing it is like
>>> fingernails on a blackboard to me.
>>
>> Like hearing someone say they "borrowed" somebody some money. That just
>> grates on me.
>
> Did they "axe" for it back?
>
> I also hate it when people say, "must of" instead of "must have".

I don't think they're actually saying must of, I think they're saying
must've quickly.

Cheri

sf

Oct 22, 2014, 12:25:37 PM10/22/14
On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:23:37 -0700, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
Agree.

Cheri

Oct 22, 2014, 12:26:23 PM10/22/14

> "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
>> On 10/21/2014 8:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> I don't know what blinking digital clocks means either. So I really see
>>> no humor there at all.
>>
>> Oh my, think back to the old VCR days
>
> Sorry. I didn't use one so I still don't know. I don't record things and
> I don't watch movies except occasionally in a theater or if they come onto
> TV. And even so, I rarely watch them.

You've never seen a "blinking" clock when the power is interrupted, on your
microwave or anything like that?

Cheri

Cheri

Oct 22, 2014, 12:30:25 PM10/22/14

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 21:21:33 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx

>>Sure, the clocks on my DVD and microwave are digital as well, but they're
>>not set and never have been. The analog clocks on the walls and on my
>>wrist are plenty for me. I guess my car clock is digital and is set. So
>>sue me.

Personally, I couldn't stand a clock that wasn't set on the microwave, VCR,
or whatever, it's a personal preference, but I definitely prefer analog
clocks on the walls.

Cheri

Nancy Young

Oct 22, 2014, 12:34:06 PM10/22/14
On 10/22/2014 11:59 AM, sf wrote:

> You've never heard "use it or lose it"? They are not using their
> driving skills when the old fart insists on doing all the driving.

sf, I know exactly what you're talking about. When people
retire and generally go places together, the man will generally
drive and common sense tells you the wife's driving skills will
deteriorate.

nancy

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 12:35:59 PM10/22/14
On 2014-10-22 11:29 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> At one time, I was paid every two weeks. At the beginning of a year, I'd study the calendar to see when those nice 3 paycheck months would occur. It felt almost like an extra paycheck.
> I'd look for those months which had 3 Saturdays, as the pay period ran thru Saturday. This year, it wud've been March, May and August.

I remember those monthly bonus third pay days. I also remember when my
father started a new job and was to be paid monthly instead of
bi-weekly. Things got pretty tight toward the end of the month.

My pension arrives on the last Wednesday of the month, but for some
reason it comes a little earlier at Christmas. I don't understand why.
Sure, it is a time of year with a lot of extra expenses. It also makes
it that much longer to wait for the January payment.

Ophelia

Oct 22, 2014, 12:36:03 PM10/22/14

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
We had a solar powered clock in one of our offices. It never told the
correct time!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cheri

Oct 22, 2014, 12:36:26 PM10/22/14

"The Cook" <susan_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I don't remember having to pay for writing checks. Maybe I did when
> we were first married 50+ years ago. We have direct deposit for our
> regular incoming money. The bank makes at least 98% of our payments
> at no charge. And I don't spend money on envelopes and stamps every
> month. I just checked the price of first class mail stamps right now
> -- $.49 each. So I save $3.43 per month or $41.16 per year. We are
> also using the "Forever" stamps we bought at least 5 years ago.
>
> I don't know what the bank is doing with the money they earn. They
> certainly are not paying depositors much in the way of interest but I
> noticed that Wells Fargo recently increased their dividend.
> --
> Susan N.

I don't pay any fees either, direct deposit too. I pay most of my bills with
a rewards card, and use 2-3 stamps a month. I don't mind.

Cheri

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 12:38:36 PM10/22/14
On 2014-10-22 11:55 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 07:54:42 -0400, James Silverton
> <not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/21/2014 10:56 PM, Doris Night wrote:

>>> Why not? Small solar powered items don't require strong sunlight. You
>>> can operate a solar calculator in cloudy conditions.
>>>

>> Not only that, "solar" is a misnomer; standard artificial light will
>> charge up a watch.
>
> I wish outdoor lighting worked as well on solar power as calculators
> do. I've never owned a solar powered watch, don't even know if I've
> seen one for sale - but I'd buy one to use.

If they are as reliable as outdoor lights you will be replacing them
every 2-3 years at best.

> I just had a watch
> battery replaced. $5 for the battery, $10 for the labor + tax. Ouch.

Watch battery replacement in most places around here is $10 installed.

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 12:39:22 PM10/22/14
On 2014-10-22 12:01 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:35:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> Things have changed over the years. Women often have their own cars and
>> are as likely to drive as men are. sf's argument is about 50 years out
>> of date.
>
> You're completely wrong.

And you have the data to prove it?

Dave Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 12:44:26 PM10/22/14
My father used to do the driving when he and my mother went places
together. She went lots of places on her own and she was an excellent
driver. My MiL had her own car and did more driving than her husband
did. Can't say she was a good driver, and she seemed to get worse and
worse despite the daily use.

My son lived in Montreal and Toronto for more than 12 years. He didn't
have a car so the only times he drove was when he rented on or when he
used mine. He didn't lose his driving skills. From mid spring to mid
fall most of my transportation is by bicycle or motorcycle. I don't
forget how to drive every year.

It is loading more messages.