Soda Stream

penm...@aol.com

Nov 28, 2017, 9:59:27 AM11/28/17
Anyone have one... comments... I'm considering getting one. I'm tired
of lugging heavy cases of cans and then storing cans and returning
cans.

jmcquown

Nov 28, 2017, 10:28:01 AM11/28/17
Lately I've been seeing ads on TV where a woman (some fitness trainer?)
talks about using one to replace "soda" by making fizzy water to which
you add fruit. I don't own one since I don't buy soda and don't really
care about water being fizzy. But it appears to work.

Jill

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 28, 2017, 10:47:21 AM11/28/17
It's been around awhile now. When it first came out I figured that
you wouldn't be able to find the fizzy cartridges or parts for the
machine. I haven't heard any comments on how well built the machine
itself is. Do you have to buy a new one every few months?
Janet US

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 28, 2017, 11:14:04 AM11/28/17
On Tue 28 Nov 2017 08:47:12a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
I have no idea, but we did have a seltzer bottle that used the small
gas cannisters. My parents used it for years and I inhereted it. Sd
used sparkling water like club soda, or tonic water (when qunine wa
aailable OTC), as well as sweetened shipping cream.. Not the, I
knopw, but was very durble.

Wayne Boatwright

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 11:22:29 AM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@xgmail.com> wrote:

> I have no idea, but we did have a seltzer bottle that used the small
> gas cannisters. My parents used it for years and I inhereted it. Sd
> used sparkling water like club soda, or tonic water (when qunine wa
> aailable OTC), as well as sweetened shipping cream.. Not the, I
> knopw, but was very durble.

Spell much!?

Apparently not. Geez, Wayne ....you make more spelling mistakes than
I do and mine are on purpose! ;)

nb

Dave Smith

Nov 28, 2017, 11:32:43 AM11/28/17
I wonder why people who want fizzy water don't just get a soda syphon or
seltzer bottle. They are about half the prize and they work on CO2
cartridges. I had one for years and used to pick up the cartridges at a
restaurant supply store.

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 11:44:32 AM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, l not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> The only curve in its use, and not much of one, is that you
> carbonate water only. You add the flavor after the water is
> carbonated, you are advised not to carbonate flavored water. It
> is no big deal.

At $99USD, I should say not! ;)

nb

Kathy Katz

Nov 28, 2017, 11:53:08 AM11/28/17
You're no damn good at Fizzics, Shelly! LOL

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 28, 2017, 12:28:14 PM11/28/17
On Tue 28 Nov 2017 09:22:24a, notbob told us...
I've lost count of the times you've wasted words pointing out my
spelling errors. I guess as long as you can make out the content
that you're getting the point.

My newsreader does not have spellcheck, which I've pointed out
numerous times before.

Proofreading isn't always that easy, as I have serious cataracts. My
first cataract surgery and implant is schedled for 12/12/2018. The
second one will be scheduled around 12/27. Hopefully that will
improve my proofreadng ability.

You are one of very few people who have mentioned my spelling errors.

You need not continue to chastize me unless you have something of
subtance to contribute.

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 12:30:35 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@xgmail.com> wrote:

> Proofreading isn't always that easy, as I have serious cataracts.

nuff sed. ;)

nb

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 28, 2017, 12:33:08 PM11/28/17
Have one, for the past 4 years.

Bed, Bath & Beyond no longer features much display space and I've
generally gotten sick of using it as the sporadic shelf availability of
flavors has become an annoyance.

They seemed for a while to have stopped making the citrus oil
infusions, and many of their pseudo-pop syrups are a bit off, even odd
in some cases.

Even ordering from their website had become erratic too.

The thing really works though, but I may be SOL on soda cartridge
refills if BBB has truly dropped it.

I give it a solid A for even carbonation, a B for the flavored syrups,
and a C for consistent website ordering.

https://www.sodastreamusa.com/Sparkling-Drink-Mix-C12.aspx

Great gadget, but somehow the market seems to have yawned at it.

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 28, 2017, 12:36:18 PM11/28/17
4 years in and it works flawlessly.

Getting refill syrups and oils at Bed bath & Beyond is spotty in my area.

A carbonation cartridge will last a good 4 months under regular use and
they're not too spendy to exchange.

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 28, 2017, 12:41:38 PM11/28/17
On 11/28/2017 9:13 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 28 Nov 2017 08:47:12a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:59:22 -0500, penm...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone have one... comments... I'm considering getting one. I'm
>>> tired of lugging heavy cases of cans and then storing cans and
>>> returning cans.
>>
>> It's been around awhile now. When it first came out I figured
>> that you wouldn't be able to find the fizzy cartridges or parts
>> for the machine. I haven't heard any comments on how well built
>> the machine itself is. Do you have to buy a new one every few
>> months? Janet US
>>

> I have no idea, but we did have a seltzer bottle that used the small
> gas cannisters. My parents used it for years and I inhereted it. Sd
> used sparkling water like club soda, or tonic water (when qunine wa
> aailable OTC), as well as sweetened shipping cream.. Not the, I
> knopw, but was very durble.

One of these?

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0107/05/vintage-seltzer-bottle-wire-mesh-covered-co2_1_f33263deb5ac804f11bb94ab3c75197a.jpg

They were great.

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 28, 2017, 12:42:22 PM11/28/17
Dat jes can't be true!

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 28, 2017, 12:45:51 PM11/28/17
Sodastream is far easier to charge, the carbonator lasts a long time,
and the proprietary plastic bottles travel much better than a CO2 model.

ImStillMags

Nov 28, 2017, 12:47:07 PM11/28/17
I've had mine for a couple of years now. It works great. The canisters last a long time and of course depends on how much soda you make.

I make my own "syrups". I use stevia for the sweetener when I make my syrups. My most used syrup and my favorite is Tonic syrup. I can control the sweetness when I make it from scratch.

You can find recipes for the syrups on the net. There's a ton of them out there.

Sheldon, I would recommend one for you. And, you don't have to buy the most expensive one either. I have had no problems at all with my "basic" unit.

ImStillMags

Nov 28, 2017, 12:55:01 PM11/28/17
oh. and if you order from Amazon you will find a better selection of syrups and canisters if you choose to go that route. There are a lot of pages of soda stream products on Amazon, be sure to do your research and due dilligence on it. AND, buy some extra bottles if you drink a lot of soda.

I even use my soda stream bottles for second ferment of my kobucha since they are built for the pressure of carbonation.

It is a pretty good sized purchase when you get everything at once but I would go ahead and buy the basic unit, a couple of canisters and some bottles to start with and see how long you go before you need refills.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 28, 2017, 1:03:54 PM11/28/17
On Tue 28 Nov 2017 10:41:33a, Casa de perritos felices told us...
No, unfortunately, but I would love to have one. The one we had was
a cast aluminum cylinder with straight sides. The entire top
unscrewed to reveal an openng about two inches in diameter. The top
was bright red and the gas cylinder attached to the top, then removed
after charging.

This syphon would allow for making sparkling wine, such as burgundy,
or a good whie wine that seemed almost like champagne.

I wish I could find an image, but so far no luck.

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 1:09:08 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, l not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> You like Big Orange, I like Black Fizzer.

Nuff' sed.

Apparently, I'm willing to settle fer "unexciting" water. Sad ;)

nb

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 28, 2017, 1:33:25 PM11/28/17
Care to share link for a home syrup that you use or like?

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 1:36:55 PM11/28/17
I'm coming up blank 2.

:=(

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 1:43:12 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, l not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> Not that it is a good reason to buy a Soda Stream; but, an
> additional use I recently made of mine is to carbonate water
> which I mixed with flour and such to make batter for cod I fried.
> Of course one can do the same with store bought club soda; but,
> if you have the carbonator, you don't have to buy the club soda.

Understood.

I don't eat seafood, dislike brie, and use eating utensils instead of
injera, so, have zero use for "Exciting" water. Hey, I don't even
like Scotch. ;)

nb

ImStillMags

Nov 28, 2017, 1:43:15 PM11/28/17

ImStillMags

Nov 28, 2017, 1:45:23 PM11/28/17

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 1:53:38 PM11/28/17
Is it that time already?

ImStillMags

Nov 28, 2017, 1:53:46 PM11/28/17
I've played with these but mostly nowadays I just like my Tonic.

http://lesssugarnaturally.blogspot.com/2013/01/Homemade-Stevia-Soda-Pop.html

here's the recipe I use and what I do for tonic syrup:

Tonic Syrup

Recipe:
4 c. water
3-4 lemongrass stalks chopped
1/4 c. cinchona bark
zest and juice of one grapefruit
zest & juice of 1 orange
zest & juice of 1 lemon
zest & juice of 1 lime
5 allspice berries
1 tsp dried lavender
5 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
1/4 tsp black peppercorns
1 small star anise
1/4 c. citric acid
1/4 t. kosher salt
Combine and boil slowly 20 min. Strain through a sieve and a French Press.
add 1 1/2 cups simple syrup

Stevia simple syrup:
1/4 cup or even less, stevia
2 cups water.
Bring water to a boil and then add stevia. Mix until dissolved and remove from heat. Let cool.

1. Pour the water into a medium-sized nonreactive saucepan. Add the zest from the grapefruit, orange, lemon, and lime. (You can remove it with a sharp vegetable peeler, in strips, or with a citrus zester.) Halve, then juice the citrus fruits and add the juice to the saucepan.
2. Add the lemongrass, citric acid, chinchona bark, allspice, cardamom, star anise, salt, and black peppercorns. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid, leaving it slightly askew, and let it simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover, and cool to room temperature.
3. Pour into a container, such as a large screw-top jar, and chill for 2 days in the refrigerator, shaking it gently a couple of times a day.
4. Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer, preferably into a large measuring cup (which will make the next step easier). Discard the spices, lemongrass, bark, and citrus peels. Strain the mixture again, this time through a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth, muslin, or a coffee filter. (If using a coffee filter, it’ll remove most traces of the spice powder but it’ll take a bit of time, so be patient.)
5. Add the sugar syrup, then pour into clean bottles or screw-top jars and refrigerate until ready to use.
For my part, I’ve taken to decanting to do most of the straining work for me. I used to put coffee filters on every clean dish I could find, running around to keep the filters from clogging or breaking, but that got old quick. Now I put my post-boil “soup” through a fine-mesh metal strainer, then let it sit (covered) overnight in a wide-base wine decanter in the fridge. The sludge settles out pretty well, and while I might be ending up with less final product than I would with patient filtering, the simplicity makes it totally worth it.

I boil the bark by itself for about 30 minutes and filter that with the coffee filters- goes really fast (4 cups of water, reduced down to about 2) and then add that into a pot with another two cups of water and use Organic Erythritol as the sweetener- no calories, no nasty aftertaste- in fact,

The filtering process has always been time consuming and messy but this year I found some good techniques that reduce the process to about a half hour. After cooking the tea I strained it through a wire sieve to get rid of the lemon grass and fruit zest, etc. I put it back in the pot, put a cover on it and left it on the stove overnight to settle.
Today I skimmed off the liquid with a ladle and put it through a coffee filter press. When I got to the “mud” at the bottom of the pot I layered about four paper towels and formed a cone with it. I poured the mud into it and gently squeezed out the liquid with my hands until all that was left was a thick cinchona paste in the towels.
Back on the stove to heat, added the sweeter and all done. I no longer dread running out of syrup since I’ve cut the prep time in half.

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 28, 2017, 1:55:45 PM11/28/17
Wow! I was going to give you a break until you got to Scotch :-{
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 28, 2017, 1:56:57 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:47:34 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:59:22 -0500, penm...@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Anyone have one... comments... I'm considering getting one. I'm tired
>> of lugging heavy cases of cans and then storing cans and returning
>> cans.
>
>You're using that store-bought mystery soda crap?!?! You know what
>kind of shit they put in there? That store-bought mystery soda is
>floor sweepings, runoff from the hog factories, and the squeezings of
>used tampons. Anybody who buys that store-bought mystery soda has
>severe TIAD. The only water anyone should drink is water they made
>themselves with pure lab-grade oxygen and hydrogen.
>
>-sw

SNORK!!!!!!
that's too good
Janet US

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 2:02:40 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:59:22 -0500, penm...@aol.com wrote:

>Anyone have one... comments... I'm considering getting one. I'm tired
>of lugging heavy cases of cans and then storing cans and returning
>cans.

We have one and I love it during the warm months. No more carting of
10 bottles at a time.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 28, 2017, 2:17:20 PM11/28/17
On Tue 28 Nov 2017 11:53:35a, ardiente casa del amor told us...

> Is it that time already?

Phoenix, as well as most of AZ observes "Arizona Time". DST does not
apply.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 28, 2017, 2:20:53 PM11/28/17
On Tue 28 Nov 2017 11:26:56a, l not -l told us...
> Not that it is a good reason to buy a Soda Stream; but, an
> additional use I recently made of mine is to carbonate water
> which I mixed with flour and such to make batter for cod I fried.
> Of course one can do the same with store bought club soda; but,
> if you have the carbonator, you don't have to buy the club soda.

How soon does the water lose its carbonation? Two Liter pop bottles
seem to lose carbonation within a few days after opening.

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 2:26:21 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, U.S Janet B <J...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Wow! I was going to give you a break until you got to Scotch :-{

I've drank 18 yr old blended Scotch and other Scotches. I don't like
'em. I'll stick with Irish whiskey and Bourbon, thank you. ;)

nb

Sqwertz

Nov 28, 2017, 2:41:38 PM11/28/17

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/image/jpg/steve-wertz-presentation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw
> Do not let "Oscar" near your food. He was obliviously digging
> boogers out of his nose with his thumb at the end of the check-stand
> while bagging groceries. Fortunately he was bagging the customer
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
>
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this
review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.

> They get 1 star for nose-picking while touching customer food.

Sqwertz

Nov 28, 2017, 2:42:22 PM11/28/17
On 11/28/2017 11:53 AM, ardiente casa del amor wrote:
> Is it that time already?

U tell us, forger.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 2:43:20 PM11/28/17
A ton of work...but...it sounds sublime!

TNX

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 2:44:52 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@xgmail.com> wrote:

> How soon does the water lose its carbonation? Two Liter pop bottles
> seem to lose carbonation within a few days after opening.

It doesn't "lose" the dissolved CO2, it jes lets dissolved CO2 go due
to CO2's 'partial pressure'. IOW, the more space you give the CO2 (as
the bottle empties), the more the CO2 will dissipate. Also, the
colder a liquid, the more CO2 will 'dissolve' into it. Warmer liquids
tend to give up CO2, more easily.

So, chill after opening (or 'making'). ;)

nb

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 2:49:21 PM11/28/17
On 11/28/2017 2:42 PM, Boner troll socked up as Sqwertz and forged:
> On 11/28/2017 11:53 AM, ardiente casa del amor wrote:
>> Is it that time already?
>
> U can call us forger.

Fixed it fer ya

| |
| |__ ___ _ __ ___ _ __
| '_ \ / _ \| '_ \ / _ \ '__|
| |_) | (_) | | | | __/ |
|_.__/ \___/|_| |_|\___|_|

,---'.
C.^o^| DO NOT SHIT WHERE YOU EAT
(_,-_)
,--`|-. DO NOT SHIT WHERE YOU EAT
|\ ]\__n_
||` '---E/ DO NOT SHIT WHERE YOU EAT

Nancy Young

Nov 28, 2017, 3:17:48 PM11/28/17
> On Tue 28 Nov 2017 10:41:33a, Casa de perritos felices told us...
>> http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/0107/05/vintage-seltzer
>> -bottle-wire-mesh-covered-co2_1_f33263deb5ac804f11bb94ab3c75197a.jp
>>
>> They were great.
>>

> No, unfortunately, but I would love to have one.

I have one of those sitting right here, it's a handsome thing
to have sitting around. I couldn't click on the link but I
assume we're talking about the same thing, wire mesh covered
bottle.

Not sure I still have the canister thing you need to fizz up
the water.

nancy

Gary

Nov 28, 2017, 3:29:01 PM11/28/17
Sqwertz wrote:

> The only water anyone should drink is water they made
> themselves with pure lab-grade oxygen and hydrogen.

:-D

Julie Bove

Nov 28, 2017, 3:35:31 PM11/28/17

<penm...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have one... comments... I'm considering getting one. I'm tired
> of lugging heavy cases of cans and then storing cans and returning
> cans.

My SIL loves hers but she really isn't saving much money because she's not
home much. This means buying expensive bottles that don't last very long.
Not sure where she gets them from but they are specially designed to hold
fizz.

I wouldn't want one. No counter space. Wouldn't want to hassle with the CO2
cartridges. And only drink diet. That's sweetened with Splenda which I don't
care for.

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 28, 2017, 3:35:34 PM11/28/17
On Tue 28 Nov 2017 12:44:49p, notbob told us...
Then mightn't it be a good idea to chill the bottle of water before
it is charged as well as after?

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 3:43:43 PM11/28/17
wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:59:22 -0500, penm...@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Anyone have one... comments... I'm considering getting one. I'm tired
>> of lugging heavy cases of cans and then storing cans and returning
>> cans.
>
>You're using that store-bought mystery soda crap?!?! You know what
>kind of shit they put in there? That store-bought mystery soda is
>floor sweepings, runoff from the hog factories, and the squeezings of
>used tampons. Anybody who buys that store-bought mystery soda has
>severe TIAD. The only water anyone should drink is water they made
>themselves with pure lab-grade oxygen and hydrogen.

The only thing missing from this parody is a few Yiddish words.

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 3:52:05 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@xgmail.com> wrote:

> Then mightn't it be a good idea to chill the bottle of water before
> it is charged as well as after?

Yes.

It would be easier to carbonate the water --and it could take more
CO2-- if it was pre-chilled water.

I usta carbonate beer (5 gals SS "Corny kegs") by putting 'em under
CO2 pressure and letting it sit in the fridge fer a couple days. ;)

nb

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 4:29:25 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, l not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> I drank my lifetime quota of alcoholic beverages in 1969 and
> 1970. That's probably why I drink "exciting" water today. 8-)

I still drink spirits, but only with "unexciting" water. ;)

nb

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 28, 2017, 4:43:52 PM11/28/17
On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 11:36:18 AM UTC-6, Casa de perritos felices wrote:

> 4 years in and it works flawlessly.
>
> Getting refill syrups and oils at Bed bath & Beyond is spotty in my area.
>
> A carbonation cartridge will last a good 4 months under regular use and
> they're not too spendy to exchange.

You can buy a special fitting for the cartridges on eBay; a bit pricey
but that will enable you to take the bottle and have it refilled instead
of buying a new one. Dick's Sporting Goods comes to mind when it's time
to recharge the bottle.

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 4:57:49 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, l not -l <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> Yes; the SodaStream instructions tell you to do that.

So, what? You gotta drink 'SodaStream' sodas, warm?

Major deal-breaker! ;)

nb

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 28, 2017, 5:31:11 PM11/28/17
Would not be for me. I keep soda warm and pour it over ice. It cools
it and lessens the carbonation. I don't like highly carbonated drinks.
Rarely drink soda anyway thee days but do enjoy a g & t a few times a week.

Mike_Duffy

Nov 28, 2017, 5:31:26 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:59:22 -0500, penm...@aol.com wrote:

> Anyone have one... comments...

No, because ALL of their syrups use arttificial sweeteners.

Some others have mentioned making your own syrups, but I would want to try
them diluted with club soda before shelling out for a Soda Stream.

Does Coke / Pepsi sell their syrups (with real sugar) to retailers?

Dave Smith

Nov 28, 2017, 5:36:03 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28 12:28 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 28 Nov 2017 09:22:24a, notbob told us...
>
>> On 2017-11-28, Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@xgmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I have no idea, but we did have a seltzer bottle that used the
>>> small gas cannisters. My parents used it for years and I
>>> inhereted it. Sd used sparkling water like club soda, or tonic
>>> water (when qunine wa aailable OTC), as well as sweetened
>>> shipping cream.. Not the, I knopw, but was very durble.
>>
>> Spell much!?
>>
>> Apparently not. Geez, Wayne ....you make more spelling mistakes
>> than I do and mine are on purpose! ;)
>>
>> nb
>
> I've lost count of the times you've wasted words pointing out my
> spelling errors. I guess as long as you can make out the content
> that you're getting the point.
>
> My newsreader does not have spellcheck, which I've pointed out
> numerous times before.

That can be a good thing. It is certainly better to have no spell check
than to have to deal with auto correct. Last week when I was flying to
the west coast I was trying to post something on FaceBook about my
flight experience between Hamilton and Edmonton. Auto correct kept
changing Hamilton to Hilton and Edmonton to Wonton.

> Proofreading isn't always that easy, as I have serious cataracts.

Hmmm.... cataracts..... maybe that is my problem. I have no problem
admitting that I am very bad at proof reading on a computer monitor.
When I compose things on the computer I am often astounded at the
blatant errors that I see in quoted email replies or on hard copies.

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 5:40:35 PM11/28/17
But your text is easy to understand, whereas Wayne seems to be using a
secret code language that's only shared between short-fused pompous
desert dwellers.

penm...@aol.com

Nov 28, 2017, 6:01:51 PM11/28/17
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 06:02:37 +1100, Bruze <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Excellent... exactly my thinking. We drink canned soda all year, my
wife drinks Coke, I drink Sprite. We buy the twelve can cases. It's
a pain checking the ads for sales. lugging the cases home, storing the
empty deposit cans, and returning them. I'll need to weigh all that
against the flavors and and using the machine.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 6:49:23 PM11/28/17
On 11/28/2017 2:32 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 28-Nov-2017, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-11-28, Wayne Boatwright <waynebo...@xgmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> How soon does the water lose its carbonation? Two Liter pop
>>> bottles
>>> seem to lose carbonation within a few days after opening.
>>
>> It doesn't "lose" the dissolved CO2, it jes lets dissolved CO2
>> go due
>> to CO2's 'partial pressure'. IOW, the more space you give the
>> CO2 (as
>> the bottle empties), the more the CO2 will dissipate.
> That's why, on the rare occasion I buy a liter of soda (haven't
> figured out how to make Fresca yet), as I remove soda from the
> bottle, I squeeze the bottle to purge much of the air, leaving
> just an inch or so above the drink. It makes some strange
> looking bottles as they are deformed to reduce volume; but, I
> saves the fizz.
>
>> Also, the
>> colder a liquid, the more CO2 will 'dissolve' into it. Warmer
>> liquids
>> tend to give up CO2, more easily.
>>
>> So, chill after opening (or 'making'). ;)
> And, chill the water before carbonating; that's why there's
> always a SodaStream bottle of plain water on the bottom shelf of
> my fridge.

Ditto that, chill first then carbonate and flavor.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 6:52:15 PM11/28/17
No, no...chill and then carbonate and flavor.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 6:54:21 PM11/28/17
Might still be for you.

Carbonation strength is up to you - 1 to 3 pulses as you please.

And you don't have to chill first, it just works better I think.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 6:55:59 PM11/28/17
On 11/28/2017 3:40 PM, Bruze wrote:
> Wayne seems to be using a
> secret code language that's only shared between short-fused pompous
> desert dwellers.

Only YOU would find a way to snipe at a truly kind man like him.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 28, 2017, 7:02:07 PM11/28/17
On 11/28/2017 4:50 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 28-Nov-2017, Casa de perritos felices <ba...@u.dia> wrote:
>
>> On 11/28/2017 7:59 AM, penm...@aol.com wrote:
>>> Anyone have one... comments... I'm considering getting one.
>>> I'm tired
>>> of lugging heavy cases of cans and then storing cans and
>>> returning
>>> cans.
>>>

>> Have one, for the past 4 years.
>>
>> Bed, Bath & Beyond no longer features much display space and
>> I've
>> generally gotten sick of using it as the sporadic shelf
>> availability of
>> flavors has become an annoyance.
>>
>> They seemed for a while to have stopped making the citrus oil
>> infusions, and many of their pseudo-pop syrups are a bit off,
>> even odd
>> in some cases.
>>
>> Even ordering from their website had become erratic too.
>>
>> The thing really works though, but I may be SOL on soda
>> cartridge
>> refills if BBB has truly dropped it.
> You could always buy an adapter and use tanks refillable at any
> paintball supply store for cheap.

Superb solution, thanks.

I bet I save some $$ too.

;-)

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 7:22:08 PM11/28/17
"FUCK YOU, DAVE!!!" (Wayne Boatwright)

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 7:42:21 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-28, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> Would not be for me. I keep soda warm and pour it over ice. It cools
> it and lessens the carbonation.

Is it jes me, or does that statement beg the question, "Why do you
even like "carbonation"? ;)

nb

Bruze

Nov 28, 2017, 7:51:18 PM11/28/17
Like the wussy Japanese, soaking fish in milk to get rid of the fishy
flavour. Don't eat fish then! :)

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 28, 2017, 8:20:51 PM11/28/17
Sometimes a little is good but I don't like soda highly carbonated. I
don't like plain water carbonated, however, my favorite beverage is good
old cold water. Good any time of day.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 28, 2017, 8:23:13 PM11/28/17
Probably goes back to pre-refrigeration days to make old fish palatable.

Bruise

Nov 28, 2017, 8:27:50 PM11/28/17
Yes, that would have been understandable, but these days...

notbob

Nov 28, 2017, 8:38:45 PM11/28/17
On 2017-11-29, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> .....my favorite beverage is good old cold water. Good any time of
> day.

Agree.

If not cold enough, add ice cubes made of same water. Pretty simple,
actually. ;)

nb

Hank Rogers

Nov 28, 2017, 9:11:33 PM11/28/17
I had an uncle who would always put his thumb over pop
bottles, give them a good shaking, and slowly let the fizz
out. As a little kid, I was amazed that he was wasting the
best part. I liked mine full fizz and still do :)

Later in life, I don't drink much sodas, but still like club
soda or seltzer. I guess I got tired of the sugar ... too
much of it now.

jmcquown

Nov 28, 2017, 9:25:29 PM11/28/17
Give me good cold water any day, every day. :)

Jill

Bruise

Nov 28, 2017, 9:45:29 PM11/28/17
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 21:25:12 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
You're such a party animal!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 28, 2017, 9:51:28 PM11/28/17
On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 4:36:03 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> It is certainly better to have no spell check
> than to have to deal with auto correct. Last week when I was flying to
> the west coast I was trying to post something on FaceBook about my
> flight experience between Hamilton and Edmonton. Auto correct kept
> changing Hamilton to Hilton and Edmonton to Wonton.

https://postimg.org/image/p22ivsyv5/

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:17:20 AM11/29/17
Fuck you straight to HELL Bwuthe, you miserable SOB!

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:20:35 AM11/29/17
Is there any race you can't bigot out on?

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:26:56 AM11/29/17
Who the FUCK are YOU to question THEIR culinary preferences?

I'm serious, you need to cop cancer and fuck off out of this world once
and for all.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 12:29:45 AM11/29/17
lOL!

Dave Smith

Nov 29, 2017, 10:14:16 AM11/29/17
On 2017-11-29 2:11 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:31:21 -0500, Mike_Duffy wrote:
>
>> Does Coke / Pepsi sell their syrups (with real sugar) to retailers?
>
> Only if you sign a contract and dispense the syrups through a machine
> that mixes them in the right proportions for retail sale. Often the
> contract will require you to buy the cups from them, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Coke-Classic-Soda-Syrup-Gallon/dp/B00HE42V8Y

https://www.amazon.com/Pepsi-Syrup-5-gallon/dp/B008PHWU2G

Not cane sugar, but you can get the syrup.

Sqwertz

Nov 29, 2017, 10:41:50 AM11/29/17
On 11/29/2017 12:11 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Good luck getting them with real sugar.

> swe...@cluemail.compost
> <i6x4dy0h0232$.d...@sqwertz.com>
> 3/18/2011 3:49 PM
> Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
> readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
> fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com
>

> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
>
> -sw

> I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/image/jpg/steve-wertz-presentation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw
> Do not let "Oscar" near your food. He was obliviously digging
> boogers out of his nose with his thumb at the end of the check-stand
> while bagging groceries. Fortunately he was bagging the customer
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
>
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this
review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.

> They get 1 star for nose-picking while touching customer food.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 29, 2017, 4:20:14 PM11/29/17
We have a small family owned soda company not far from us. The daughter
runs the store and told me her father gets annoyed when she does that.
"I worked all day to put the fizz in there just for you to take it out"

Mike_Duffy

Nov 29, 2017, 4:27:35 PM11/29/17
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 15:02:43 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Sure, you can buy it - if you're an idiot.

I see. It's only really worth the extra cost when, for example, one is
hosting a large party, and that is to avoid the bother of carrying and
cooling a large quantity used in a short time. It would cost more than just
buying Coke/Pepsi at Costco. If your water supply is cold enough, you might
not even need to take the time to cool it; just add the fizz and syrup
using the machine you are obligated to rent anyways.

Sqwertz

Nov 29, 2017, 4:31:14 PM11/29/17
On 11/29/2017 2:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I knew I could trick Dave Smith into admitting I wasn't in that
> grandiose killfile he so often brags about.

Dave Smith

Nov 29, 2017, 5:35:33 PM11/29/17
On 2017-11-29 4:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I knew I could trick Dave Smith into admitting I wasn't in that
> grandiose killfile he so often brags about. No morphing necessary.

I just posted a few minutes about having recently removed everyone from
my filters.

> Anyway - that syrup is twice the price of buying 2 liter bottles at
> $1.60/each (non-sale price). Sure, you can buy it - if you're an
> idiot.

If you get the syrup you can make as much or as little as you want. It
is certainly not worth it for me because I only drink about one can of
pop per week.

> Buying it without a contact to sell it (and agreeing not to
> sell competing products) is cost prohibitive and cost more than cases
> of cans and large bottles.

Some people like the novelty of it. Back in the late 50s my parents used
to get jugs of syrup from a neighour who worked at Canada Dry. It was
pretty cheap back then, and the neighbour was giving us a great deal.

The only time I ever by large bottles of pop is when we are entertaining
a crowd. If I ever opened up a 2 litre bottle of pop it would go flat
before I had my second glass.

Sqwertz

Nov 29, 2017, 5:36:26 PM11/29/17
On 11/29/2017 3:32 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Mixing this up on demand at a large party would be a PITA.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 29, 2017, 5:44:12 PM11/29/17
On 11/29/2017 3:37 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-11-29 4:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> https://www.amazon.com/Coke-Classic-Soda-Syrup-Gallon/dp/B00HE42V8Y
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Pepsi-Syrup-5-gallon/dp/B008PHWU2G
>>>
>>> Not cane sugar, but you can get the syrup.
>>
>> I knew I could trick Dave Smith into admitting I wasn't in that
>> grandiose killfile he so often brags about.  No morphing necessary.
>
> I just posted a few minutes about having recently removed everyone from
> my filters.

And you think it needs re-announcing?!?!

Yegad!

Egoboo much?

penm...@aol.com

Nov 29, 2017, 8:11:26 PM11/29/17
In Brooklyn I grew up on home delivered seltza in siphon bottles, no
store seltza today is nearly as good.... can't make a decent eggcream
with today's seltza flatter than an A cup.

Bruce

Nov 29, 2017, 8:28:27 PM11/29/17
You're one of these fuddy duddies who think everything was better in
the past. The sky was bluer, the grass was greener and the breasts
were bigger. Right?

graham

Nov 29, 2017, 8:39:27 PM11/29/17
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE FUCK OFF AND STICK YOUR HEAD UP A DEAD BEAR'S ARSE!

graham

Nov 29, 2017, 8:39:42 PM11/29/17

penm...@aol.com

Nov 29, 2017, 9:01:51 PM11/29/17
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 12:28:23 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
Breasts were better... no implants.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 29, 2017, 9:20:41 PM11/29/17
I don't know about breasts, but many products have been cheapened over
the years. Baked goods in supermarkets are crap compared to the good
bakeries of years ago. Some ice cream brands have added more fillers.
A couple of years ago a bakery about 30 miles from me closed. I've not
had a loaf of rye bread nearly as good since. I know where I can get
it, but it is 250 miles away.

There are a few good places around. Twice a hear we go to Nodines for a
ham and pick p a bunch of bacon. Far superior to the supermarket stuff.

OTOH, electronics are far superior than what was available not many
years ago. Cars are much better.

Hank Rogers

Nov 29, 2017, 9:55:59 PM11/29/17
Yeah, not everything was bad back during the great
depression. Things were cheaper too, if you were one of the
lucky ones that had money.

All way before my time, but I've seen old 3 stooges
squirting each other with those Noo Yawk seltzer bottles.

Bruce

Nov 29, 2017, 10:12:37 PM11/29/17
People lived shorter, there were more wars, there was no internet.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 12:03:27 AM11/30/17
Less pollution, true.

> the grass was greener

No drought - true.

> and the breasts
> were bigger. Right?

Nope, young women are larger today, in most directions.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 12:05:03 AM11/30/17
Hmmm...also true...

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 12:06:22 AM11/30/17
And....if you're person of "color" - no doubt life is far better.

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 12:08:05 AM11/30/17
Trolls got beaten to a bloody pulp too.

;-)

notbob

Nov 30, 2017, 9:34:33 AM11/30/17
On 2017-11-30, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> OTOH, electronics are far superior than what was available not many
> years ago.

You must mean they are "much smaller". I tossed my cell phone acct,
but still use my 'desktop' computer.

> Cars are much better.

How so?

I jes found out there is such a thing as 'non-interference' engines
and 'interference' engines and if yer timing belt breakes on an
'interference' engine, yer hosed. IOW, 'timing belt' (born to break),
versus 'timing chain' (rarely gives trouble). Usta be, all engines had
timing chains.

Also, howzabout 'event data recorders' (EDR). Yer car is crawling
with 'em (ABS, air bags, seat belts, etc). I'm not even gonna discuss
the whole 'IoT' nonsense.

All those 'seat warmers', electric outside mirrors, etc, jes add more
weight, which kills fuel consumption. My '87 Civic got 38mpg (real
commute data). Ten yrs later, Civics were bragging on gettting 28mpg.
Why? All that copper wire weighs a lot!

IME, the USA has not made a good car since 1974!! ;)

nb

Dave Smith

Nov 30, 2017, 9:57:29 AM11/30/17
On 2017-11-30 9:34 AM, notbob wrote:

>> Cars are much better.
>
> How so?
>
> I jes found out there is such a thing as 'non-interference' engines
> and 'interference' engines and if yer timing belt breakes on an
> 'interference' engine, yer hosed. IOW, 'timing belt' (born to break),
> versus 'timing chain' (rarely gives trouble). Usta be, all engines had
> timing chains.

There are some advantages to timing belts. The problem is that they can
break, and that can cause major problems.

I have to agree with Ed about cars being better these days. The bodies
and engines last longer. When I was working and commuting 45 miles in
the 80s I went through cars in 4-5 years by which time they were
starting to rust out. I had an AMC that ran like crap throughout its
warranty, a problem that cleared up when they did a valve job ... after
the warranty was up. I had a Pontiac that always pinged because of a bad
cam, had a bad fuel pump and rotted away. Ford..... well.... Found On
Road Dead was a well earned nickname. Since then I have had a couple
Mazdas and Hondas and a Toyota and have had great luck with them. I was
pleased with the Buick we bought from my mother when she lost her
license. That car lasted 18 years and got great mileage.

Feelings

Nov 30, 2017, 10:45:29 AM11/30/17
notbob wrote:

> On 2017-11-30, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:
>
> > OTOH, electronics are far superior than what was available not many
> > years ago.
>
> You must mean they are "much smaller". I tossed my cell phone acct,
> but still use my 'desktop' computer.

If computing power costs were figured by 1990 standards, the cheapest cell phone today would cost several million dollars...

TV's are far superior to any available in the past, and TV prices have declined 90% in real costs, adjusted for inflation, since the 90's.

> > Cars are much better.
>
> How so?
>
> I jes found out there is such a thing as 'non-interference' engines
> and 'interference' engines and if yer timing belt breakes on an
> 'interference' engine, yer hosed. IOW, 'timing belt' (born to break),
> versus 'timing chain' (rarely gives trouble). Usta be, all engines had
> timing chains.
>
> Also, howzabout 'event data recorders' (EDR). Yer car is crawling
> with 'em (ABS, air bags, seat belts, etc). I'm not even gonna discuss
> the whole 'IoT' nonsense.
>
> All those 'seat warmers', electric outside mirrors, etc, jes add more
> weight, which kills fuel consumption. My '87 Civic got 38mpg (real
> commute data). Ten yrs later, Civics were bragging on gettting 28mpg.
> Why? All that copper wire weighs a lot!

Even the cheapest car today is far, far superior to what was available 40 - 50 years ago, there is simply no comparison...

I'm an old car fan, and I consider today's car styling pretty much an abomination, but I'd dread driving a 70's era or earlier car any considerable distance...

> IME, the USA has not made a good car since 1974!! ;)

That's because the Japanese made *better* cars starting around that time...

--
Best
Greg

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 11:13:50 AM11/30/17
On 11/30/2017 7:34 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-11-30, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:
>
>> OTOH, electronics are far superior than what was available not many
>> years ago.
>
> You must mean they are "much smaller". I tossed my cell phone acct,
> but still use my 'desktop' computer.
>
>> Cars are much better.
>
> How so?
>
> I jes found out there is such a thing as 'non-interference' engines
> and 'interference' engines and if yer timing belt breakes on an
> 'interference' engine, yer hosed. IOW, 'timing belt' (born to break),
> versus 'timing chain' (rarely gives trouble). Usta be, all engines had
> timing chains.

Always a chain - I've never seen one break.

> Also, howzabout 'event data recorders' (EDR). Yer car is crawling
> with 'em (ABS, air bags, seat belts, etc). I'm not even gonna discuss
> the whole 'IoT' nonsense.

All cop addressable if you get in an accident.

> All those 'seat warmers', electric outside mirrors, etc, jes add more
> weight, which kills fuel consumption. My '87 Civic got 38mpg (real
> commute data). Ten yrs later, Civics were bragging on gettting 28mpg.
> Why? All that copper wire weighs a lot!

Ekshually cars are starting to come down on weight (way down) and also
in engine configuration and displacement.

Volvo's current turbo and supercharged mills are an example.

Folks demand more power because it can be done easily now and ergo
mileage suffers.

The use of aluminum and composites and carbon fiber is a direct response
to unrealistic CAFE standards.

You really don't want to be in car accident if your ride meets the EPA
52 MPG rating.

> IME, the USA has not made a good car since 1974!! ;)
>
> nb

1974?

That's when the EPA gear became a strangler of HP, which one do you
posit was worth even scrap metal then?

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 11:16:48 AM11/30/17
On 11/30/2017 7:58 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> There are some advantages to timing belts.

Not compared to breakage which a timing chain almost never does.

YMMV

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 11:28:50 AM11/30/17
On 11/30/2017 8:45 AM, Feelings wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2017-11-30, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:
>>
>>> OTOH, electronics are far superior than what was available not many
>>> years ago.
>>
>> You must mean they are "much smaller". I tossed my cell phone acct,
>> but still use my 'desktop' computer.
>

> If computing power costs were figured by 1990 standards, the cheapest cell phone today would cost several million dollars...

Now we can addict kids early in life:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/smartphone-addiction-creates-imbalance-in-brain-300558945.html

> TV's are far superior to any available in the past, and TV prices have declined 90% in real costs, adjusted for inflation, since the 90's.

True dat.

>>> Cars are much better.
>>
>> How so?
>>
>> I jes found out there is such a thing as 'non-interference' engines
>> and 'interference' engines and if yer timing belt breakes on an
>> 'interference' engine, yer hosed. IOW, 'timing belt' (born to break),
>> versus 'timing chain' (rarely gives trouble). Usta be, all engines had
>> timing chains.
>>
>> Also, howzabout 'event data recorders' (EDR). Yer car is crawling
>> with 'em (ABS, air bags, seat belts, etc). I'm not even gonna discuss
>> the whole 'IoT' nonsense.
>>
>> All those 'seat warmers', electric outside mirrors, etc, jes add more
>> weight, which kills fuel consumption. My '87 Civic got 38mpg (real
>> commute data). Ten yrs later, Civics were bragging on gettting 28mpg.
>> Why? All that copper wire weighs a lot!
>

> Even the cheapest car today is far, far superior to what was available 40 - 50 years ago, there is simply no comparison...

Yep.

> I'm an old car fan, and I consider today's car styling pretty much an abomination, but I'd dread driving a 70's era or earlier car any considerable distance...

Well, maybe a nice Datsun 240 Z perhaps?

>> IME, the USA has not made a good car since 1974!! ;)
>

> That's because the Japanese made *better* cars starting around that time...

Just before, but yes they stepped up the quality big time.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 30, 2017, 11:35:51 AM11/30/17
SS exhaust systems that last 15+ years
Spark plugs go 100,000 miles instead of clean at 5k, replace at 10k
Oil changes 7500 miles
HID or LED lighting
Less pollution
ABS, AEB

As for weight, my car is 5400#

ardiente casa del amor

Nov 30, 2017, 11:47:06 AM11/30/17
She's a heavy one then, well par with 60s iron.

Taxed and Spent

Nov 30, 2017, 12:40:26 PM11/30/17
On 11/30/2017 9:34 AM, l not -l wrote:
> And, most important of all, new ones will stop or keep you in
> your lane when you are busy with your smart phone.

My new car doesn't have the "lane keeping" feature - that is a more
expensive model.

But these old ears LOVE the hands free phone feature, and I may have to
go out to the car just sitting in the driveway to do more of my phone
calls, just so I can hear.
It is loading more messages.