Re: Breyers "Gelato"

Bruce

Oct 24, 2016, 10:44:59 PM10/24/16
In article <1fb4mb3r...@sqwertz.com>, Sqwertz says...

> Gelato, my ASS!! I don't eat ice cream often but any time I try
> something new I get burned.
>
> This stuff is just whipped full of air just like all the other low to
> mid-range lousy ice creams. Package looks good with all this caramel
> and toppings swirled throughout the ice cream but that beauty is only
> skin deep - it's all just cheap-assed ice cream underneath there with
> no caramel or goodies inside.
>
> http://www.breyers.com/product/detail/694169/vanilla-caramel-gelato
>
> Overuse of vegetable gums leaves this thick, slimy film on the tongue
> that needs to be washed off after each spoonful. It doesn't even meet
> the legal definition of "Ice Cream" which is why they gave it the
> fancy name that implies a higher end product (with a price to match).
>
> And a new ingredient to me, "PGPR". I had to look that one up:
> "polyglycerol polyricinoleate" (no wonder they don't spell it out on
> the package). It's a chemical concoction that allows them to use very
> little, if any cocoa butter in fake chocolates.
>
> Regular price is $4.48, on sale for $2.24 for 28 ounces ("The New
> Quart"). Stay far away. Fortunately my skeptical ass also bought a
> backup: HEB brand Creamy Creations Dulce de Leche. Low overrun,
> tastes so much cleaner and richer, and a steal at $2.74/quart (a REAL
> quart!).
>
> Ice cream has got to one of the bastardized food items on grocers
> shelves over the last 20 years.

Ice cream and bread.

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 25, 2016, 2:56:47 PM10/25/16
On 10/24/2016 10:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Gelato, my ASS!! I don't eat ice cream often but any time I try
> something new I get burned.
>
> This stuff is just whipped full of air just like all the other low to
> mid-range lousy ice creams. Package looks good with all this caramel
> and toppings swirled throughout the ice cream but that beauty is only
> skin deep - it's all just cheap-assed ice cream underneath there with
> no caramel or goodies inside.
>
> http://www.breyers.com/product/detail/694169/vanilla-caramel-gelato
>
> Overuse of vegetable gums leaves this thick, slimy film on the tongue
> that needs to be washed off after each spoonful.

Tried it. Crap in a tub.

When I was a kid in Philadelphia, Breyers was a quality ice cream made
by a family owned business. Ingredients were simple and natural, no
gum, no fillers. You could get it hand dipped at the corner store.
Good flavors, my favorite was cherry vanilla, but you could get banana
and orange ice and raspberry ice.

Eventually, the brand was bought out by Sealtest, Kraft, Good Humor and
each brand crapped it up more and now it is a rather poor brand.

Vanilla used to be milk, cream, sugar, vanilla. No gums, no filler.
Strawberry had nothing but the same plus strawberries.

Brooklyn1

Oct 25, 2016, 4:43:09 PM10/25/16
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Gelato, my ASS!! I don't eat ice cream often but any time I try
>> something new I get burned.
>>
>> This stuff is just whipped full of air just like all the other low to
>> mid-range lousy ice creams. Package looks good with all this caramel
>> and toppings swirled throughout the ice cream but that beauty is only
>> skin deep - it's all just cheap-assed ice cream underneath there with
>> no caramel or goodies inside.
>>
>> http://www.breyers.com/product/detail/694169/vanilla-caramel-gelato
>>
>> Overuse of vegetable gums leaves this thick, slimy film on the tongue
>> that needs to be washed off after each spoonful.
>

>Tried it. Crap in a tub.
>
>When I was a kid in Philadelphia, Breyers was a quality ice cream made
>by a family owned business. Ingredients were simple and natural, no
>gum, no fillers. You could get it hand dipped at the corner store.

When I was a kid ALL ice cream was hand dipped or as individual
confections, pops and cups... there were NO factory packed pints,
quarts, or half gallons... ice cream was hand dipped from 2 gallon
tubs. There were several brands that were much better quality than
anything today... back then Breyer's was only a medium rate product,
Louis Sherry was far better, as was Dolly Madison.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Sherry_Inc.
http://www.brandlandusa.com/2009/04/06/thinking-louis-sherry-ice-cream/
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080803145108AAeaoQP
There were also many, many ice cream parlors that prepared their own,
as good if not better than home made, made with cream from local dairy
farms, Sheffield was a winner.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Farms

Dave Smith

Oct 25, 2016, 5:34:22 PM10/25/16
On 2016-10-25 4:42 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> When I was a kid ALL ice cream was hand dipped or as individual
> confections, pops and cups... there were NO factory packed pints,
> quarts, or half gallons... ice cream was hand dipped from 2 gallon
> tubs.

When you were a kid people did not have freezers that would hold much
ice cream. I remember having a refrigerator with tiny freezer
compartments that were big enough to hold a couple ice cube trays and
not much else. It was not until about 1960 that we had a fridge with a
separate freezer compartment.

Did you ever have those cardboard wrapped tubes of ice cream? I
remember them coming in vanilla, chocolate or strawberry flavoured.
Then for a while there was another gimmick with oblong sticks of ice
cream that fit into elongated cones.

dsi1

Oct 25, 2016, 5:59:54 PM10/25/16
I have one of those refrigerators in my office. The freezer section has the evaporator coils in the sheet metal walls. The refrigerator section is cooled by the run-off from the exposed coils. I'm closing my office so this baby is going into my bedroom so I can have a cool drink any time I want. I am looking forward to this luxury.

Brooklyn1

Oct 25, 2016, 8:32:00 PM10/25/16
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 17:35:03 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2016-10-25 4:42 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> When I was a kid ALL ice cream was hand dipped or as individual
>> confections, pops and cups... there were NO factory packed pints,
>> quarts, or half gallons... ice cream was hand dipped from 2 gallon
>> tubs.
>
>When you were a kid people did not have freezers that would hold much
>ice cream. I remember having a refrigerator with tiny freezer
>compartments that were big enough to hold a couple ice cube trays and
>not much else. It was not until about 1960 that we had a fridge with a
>separate freezer compartment.

When I was a kid all we had was an ice-a box

>Did you ever have those cardboard wrapped tubes of ice cream? I
>remember them coming in vanilla, chocolate or strawberry flavoured.
>Then for a while there was another gimmick with oblong sticks of ice
>cream that fit into elongated cones.

You'd have to have been born in the early '40s to know... one of the
very few ice cream treats after WWII.
Up your hole with a Mello Roll! LOL
http://theworldaccordingtofrankbarning.blogspot.com/2011/07/mello-rolls-history-and-welcome-back.html
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/mello_roll_or_mell_o_roll_up_your_hole_with_a_mello_rzmy
My 16 year old aunt Doris would buy me a Mello Roll, and then she'd
play wih my peepee... she was ill but in a good way. LOL

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 25, 2016, 11:38:23 PM10/25/16
On 10/25/2016 9:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> Half of Breyer's Wikipedia entry is devoted to the company's
> cost-cutting measures and how the stuff gone to shit. It's one of the
> more negative Wiki entries I've ever read.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breyers
>
> -sw

Worse than I thought. Went from 4 ingredients to 40 on some productd.

Janet

Oct 26, 2016, 7:10:10 AM10/26/16
In article <fffv0c99ddhq8s4eq...@4ax.com>, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> Gelato, my ASS!! I don't eat ice cream often but any time I try
> >> something new I get burned.
> >>
> >> This stuff is just whipped full of air just like all the other low to
> >> mid-range lousy ice creams. Package looks good with all this caramel
> >> and toppings swirled throughout the ice cream but that beauty is only
> >> skin deep - it's all just cheap-assed ice cream underneath there with
> >> no caramel or goodies inside.
> >>
> >> http://www.breyers.com/product/detail/694169/vanilla-caramel-gelato
> >>
> >> Overuse of vegetable gums leaves this thick, slimy film on the tongue
> >> that needs to be washed off after each spoonful.
> >

> >Tried it. Crap in a tub.
> >
> >When I was a kid in Philadelphia, Breyers was a quality ice cream made
> >by a family owned business. Ingredients were simple and natural, no
> >gum, no fillers. You could get it hand dipped at the corner store.
>
> When I was a kid ALL ice cream was hand dipped or as individual
> confections, pops and cups... there were NO factory packed pints,
> quarts, or half gallons...

Same here. As kids we only ever ate icecream at the seaside, in
either, a wafer cone; or in a small slice sandwiched between two flat
wafers; and it was always vanilla. The wafers were very fragile. We
licked and ate the cones so slowly there was always melted icecream
dripping out of the bottom of the cone by the time you'd nibbled it down
to a nub. If you dallied too long the whole thing disintegrated and your
icecream fell on the floor.

Janet UK.