Hummingbird Cake for Ophelia

rosie

May 29, 2015, 5:32:44 PM5/29/15
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon ( ground)
3 beaten eggs ( large)
1 cup veggie oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 8 0z can of crushed pineappple with all of its' juice
2 cups chopped bananas
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine, first 5 ingredients ina bowl , add eggs and oil. stirring just till all is moistened. do this by hand, stir in vanilla, bananas , pineapple and pccans.

pour batter into three greased and floured 8 inch round pans. Bake att 350 for about 25 t 30 minutes cool a few minutes , remove from pans Put cream cheese frosting in between layers and on top, make sure cake is completely cool when you do this. I use the canned cream cheese frosting and sprinkle more peacans on top. Yes I used the canned frosting.

I also make this in a 9 by 15 pan, it still looks and tastes wonderful. I got the recipe a long time ago, probably from the Internet but do not remember where.

Cheri

May 29, 2015, 6:27:12 PM5/29/15
I have made this before, it's very good. I make it in the 9X15 pan too, and
like you I use canned creamed cheese frosting.

Cheri

"rosie" <RMi10...@aol.com> wrote in message

dsi1

May 29, 2015, 6:57:02 PM5/29/15
I've never seen a hummingbird cake but I love that name.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 29, 2015, 8:07:18 PM5/29/15
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 5:57:02 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> I've never seen a hummingbird cake but I love that name.

These cakes ARE delicious. M-m-m-m-m

dsi1

May 29, 2015, 9:28:51 PM5/29/15
I might just have to try it!

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 3:29:29 AM5/30/15

"rosie" <RMi10...@aol.com> wrote in message
Thank you very much:)) It sounds really good. <saved>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

sf

May 30, 2015, 9:25:29 AM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 08:09:20 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I thought the big deal about hummingbird cake was all the layers
http://cdn-image.myrecipes.com/sites/default/files/styles/300x300/public/image/app/lemon-cake-oh-1727431-xl.jpg?itok=Ibmsyu64
but it turns out that 3 normal layers is common in Google images now.
I guess nobody wants to fuss like that anymore.

Cream cheese frosting is easy enough to make if you have an electric
mixer. You probably have a recipe, but if you don't I'll post one for
you.

--

sf

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 10:11:12 AM5/30/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
I have one, thank you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

rosie

May 30, 2015, 10:53:17 AM5/30/15
Thanks, I am sure I have a recipe, I usually have the cream cheese, but often it seems no powdered sugar.

Gary

May 30, 2015, 11:00:14 AM5/30/15
Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" wrote:
> > Cream cheese frosting is easy enough to make if you have an electric
> > mixer. You probably have a recipe, but if you don't I'll post one for
> > you.
> >

> I have one, thank you.

Here I go causing trouble again with the teasing. :-O
Certainly she has a cream cheese frosting recipe. She has recipes for
every damn dish invented. I question if she's acuually made the
frosting though. oh man, I'm in trouble now.

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 11:37:34 AM5/30/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5569D0A1...@att.net...
*thwap* ;-) I do NOT have recipe for every damned dish invented and I most
certainly have made frosting ... If I had every recipe, why do you think I
ask questions here?? Hmmmm????? yers you deserve another *thwap*!! So take
that!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

sf

May 30, 2015, 11:49:11 AM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 07:53:14 -0700 (PDT), rosie <RMi10...@aol.com>
wrote:
Did you know you don't need to keep any around? If you have
granulated sugar and a food processor, you'll have powdered sugar in
minutes. If you want it to be *just like* what you buy at the store,
add cornstarch!

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/12/how-to-make-confectioners-sugar-at-home/

1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)

Step 1: Place one cup of granulated sugar (and cornstarch, if using)
into a blender or food processor.

Step 2: Use the “pulse” or “blend” setting. ...

Step 3: Whether you're making superfine or confectioners' sugar, You
can sift the sugar through a strainer into a container (I've never
needed to sift it), and you're done.

Note: I never buy superfine/baker's sugar anymore. I just whiz
regular sugar in the FP until it's superfine. I over whizzed it one
time ended up with powdered sugar. It's very easy to do!

--

sf

Gary

May 30, 2015, 11:51:27 AM5/30/15
Ophy... read all that above again. I was talking about SF having a
recipe for everything, not you. I completely believe all your
cooking. I was teasing her, not you. :-o

rosie

May 30, 2015, 11:54:44 AM5/30/15
OHHHHH thank you, I really did not know that!!!

vivapa...@aol.com

May 30, 2015, 11:55:10 AM5/30/15
Sounds pretty healthy, except for the sugar and the eggs.

sf

May 30, 2015, 12:20:38 PM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 08:54:37 -0700 (PDT), rosie <RMi10...@aol.com>
wrote:

> OHHHHH thank you, I really did not know that!!!

You're welcome! :)

--

sf

sf

May 30, 2015, 12:30:05 PM5/30/15
If you'd been paying attention, you'd know that I gave the cream
cheese frosting to notbob when I gave him my carrot cake recipe.

--

sf

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 12:41:04 PM5/30/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5569D0A1...@att.net...
Of course she's made it, hasn't everyone? Sometimes I like the convenience
of canned frosting though.

Cheri

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 12:42:01 PM5/30/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I believe he meant sf. :)

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 12:43:01 PM5/30/15

"rosie" <RMi10...@aol.com> wrote in message
Same here, usually have cream cheese, but very seldomly powdered sugar
unless it's close to the holidays.

Cheri

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 12:49:02 PM5/30/15

<vivapa...@aol.com> wrote in message news:54d2d2f2-de13-443d-940b-

Sounds pretty healthy, except for the sugar and the eggs.

========

It's harmless if not eating it everyday, which I'm pretty sure people
aren't. Me, I don't keep sugar in the house except when I buy it for a
holiday treat or something, but I eat a lot of eggs with no problem.

Cheri

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 30, 2015, 12:51:09 PM5/30/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 10:55:10 AM UTC-5, vivapa...@aol.com wrote:

> On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 2:32:44 PM UTC-7, rosie wrote:
>
> > 3 beaten eggs ( large)
>
> Sounds pretty healthy, except for the sugar and the eggs.

You're not one of those who bought into the hype a
few years ago that eggs are BAD for you, are you?

Gary

May 30, 2015, 12:52:23 PM5/30/15
Cheri wrote:

> ...usually have cream cheese, but very seldomly powdered sugar
> unless it's close to the holidays.

I have both here right now and I'm not sure what to do with the cream
cheese. I bought it thinking to try it on a baked potato.

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 12:55:14 PM5/30/15

<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message
Yeah, because if they were, I'd be dead. :-)

Cheri

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 12:56:13 PM5/30/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5569EAED...@att.net...
Cream cheese is very versatile, it goes well with just about everything IMO,
and good on baked potatoes.

Cheri

Gary

May 30, 2015, 1:07:46 PM5/30/15
Cheri wrote:

> > Here I go causing trouble again with the teasing. :-O
> > Certainly she has a cream cheese frosting recipe. She has recipes for
> > every damn dish invented. I question if she's actually made the
> > frosting though. oh man, I'm in trouble now.
>
> Of course she's made it, hasn't everyone? Sometimes I like the convenience
> of canned frosting though.

I love carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. My favorite. I make it
from scratch up until the frosting part. Others have asked, "Why make
it all from scratch but then top it with the commercial stuff?"
Answer is I love the taste of that premade frosting so why bother? I
probably should try homemade sometime though.

Gary

May 30, 2015, 1:10:17 PM5/30/15
LOL. Keep in mind...you said you gave him a recipe for it. That was my
teasing point to you....lots of recipes but how many do you actually
try? You are constantly telling us how you shop for recipes all the
time.

And hey....I'm just messing with you. ;)

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 1:20:12 PM5/30/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
That is not something I have ever seen, but I expect that is because I have
never looked for it. Now you have mentioned it though ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 1:20:12 PM5/30/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
<g> so I hear. Never mind, a good thwapping won't hurt :)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 1:20:12 PM5/30/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5569DC96...@att.net...
lol never mind I expect you still deserved a good thwap <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 1:24:28 PM5/30/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
Same here. Did you hear that the bloke who warned against eating too many
eggs got the decimal point in the wrong place ... <g> There is a lot of
back peddling going on. As for 'low fat' foods ... he did you notice the
amount of sugar etc they had to put in to make them palatable? I've never
taken any notice of that stuff, they will say anything to put more money in
their pockets.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 2:30:36 PM5/30/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5569EE84...@att.net...
I've certainly made both, but I usually have canned frosting on hand for
occasions when the grandkids are here etc., but not always sugar, powdered
sugar, etc. Personally, I like canned frosting just fine.

Cheri

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 2:31:37 PM5/30/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Me either, and I'm still alive and kicking. :-)

Cheri

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 30, 2015, 2:58:10 PM5/30/15
We'd be laying side by side in double caskets.
I LOVE eggs!

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 3:29:17 PM5/30/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
I will have a look around to see what I can find. It is not something we
eat but as you say, when the grandkids are here it could be useful.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cindy Hamilton

May 30, 2015, 3:30:47 PM5/30/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 10:53:17 AM UTC-4, rosie wrote:

> Thanks, I am sure I have a recipe, I usually have the cream cheese, but often it seems no powdered sugar.

Back in my hippie days, I made cream cheese frosting with honey. Just
mixed cream cheese with a little honey and called it good.

Cindy Hamilton

rosie

May 30, 2015, 3:43:27 PM5/30/15
that sounds wonderful ! Thanks.

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 4:23:01 PM5/30/15
Cream cheese frosting in a can is a most heinous product, containing
neither cream nor cheese. At least chocolate frosting contains cocoa.
OTOH, I don't care for chocolate frosting and canned cream cheese
frosting material is mighty tasty so screw it! Hee hee.

vivapa...@aol.com

May 30, 2015, 4:29:03 PM5/30/15
Last I remember three eggs are okay per week because of the cholesterol content. But that would depend on the rest of your diet.

That two cups of sugar, though, that's a frightening amount, because the body already turns most foods into dextrose.

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 7:01:11 PM5/30/15

<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message
Me too, and I do eat some variation just about every day.

Cheri

Cheri

May 30, 2015, 7:50:29 PM5/30/15

<vivapa...@aol.com> wrote in message
Are you eating the whole damned cake in one sitting? Geez.

Cheri

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 30, 2015, 8:12:09 PM5/30/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 6:50:29 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> <vivapa...@aol.com> wrote in message
>
> > That two cups of sugar, though, that's a frightening amount, because the
> > body already turns most foods into dextrose.
>
> Are you eating the whole damned cake in one sitting? Geez.
>
> Cheri

I had the same thought.