First Attempt in Thirty Years

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 24, 2023, 5:00:23 PM9/24/23
My wife has a friend who gifted us a five-gallon bucket filled with
peaches and apples at roughly the same ratio. My wife hasn't made a pie
in over thirty years.
So she peeled and macerated the many peaches and used her sister's
recipe for the dough. Here's the result. I apologize for the fluting,
but the pie tastes great.

<https://postimg.cc/KR0h3xfq>

Now, what to do with the apples? I ain't crazy about apple pie. Half
look like Granny Smiths, and half are a reddish variety of some sort.
Just eating apples, the old-fashioned way, is out of the question with
my teeth.

leo

GM

Sep 24, 2023, 5:28:21 PM9/24/23
On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 4:00:23 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> My wife has a friend who gifted us a five-gallon bucket filled with
> peaches and apples at roughly the same ratio. My wife hasn't made a pie
> in over thirty years.
> So she peeled and macerated the many peaches and used her sister's
> recipe for the dough. Here's the result. I apologize for the fluting,
> but the pie tastes great.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/KR0h3xfq>

I like it... looks all cozy and warm...

> Now, what to do with the apples? I ain't crazy about apple pie. Half
> look like Granny Smiths, and half are a reddish variety of some sort.
> Just eating apples, the old-fashioned way, is out of the question with
> my teeth.

You can cook them, to accompany pork, or just to eat on their own...

--
GM

Bryan Simmons

Sep 24, 2023, 5:32:37 PM9/24/23
Or core them and liquefy them in the blender--cider.

> --
> GM

--Bryan

Dave Smith

Sep 24, 2023, 6:11:28 PM9/24/23
On 2023-09-24 5:00 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> My wife has a friend who gifted us a five-gallon bucket filled with
> peaches and apples at roughly the same ratio. My wife hasn't made a pie
> in over thirty years.
> So she peeled and macerated the many peaches and used her sister's
> recipe for the dough. Here's the result. I apologize for the fluting,
> but the pie tastes great.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/KR0h3xfq>

That looks pretty good.

> Now, what to do with the apples? I ain't crazy about apple pie. Half
> look like Granny Smiths, and half are a reddish variety of some sort.
> Just eating apples, the old-fashioned way, is out of the question with
> my teeth.

Do you like venison? Dump them near a blind and wait for dinner to
come for their dinner.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 24, 2023, 6:18:14 PM9/24/23
You get caught doing that in Missouri, and it will cost
you $293.50.

--Bryan

lucr...@florence.it

Sep 24, 2023, 7:16:27 PM9/24/23
On 24 Sep 2023 21:00:16 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Make cider???

jmcquown

Sep 24, 2023, 7:55:51 PM9/24/23
GMTA! I was about to suggest he throw them out for the deer. Not
necessary to shoot the deer, although venison is pretty darn tasty. :)

Jill

Ed P

Sep 24, 2023, 7:56:05 PM9/24/23
Looks good. I miss a good home made pie, both peach and apple.

Fried apples go well with pork.

jmcquown

Sep 24, 2023, 7:57:55 PM9/24/23
That's a good idea! Or applesauce. :)

Jill

Hank Rogers

Sep 24, 2023, 8:01:38 PM9/24/23
If anyone in your area has horses ... they'll damn sure eat
those apples you don't want. Don't feed them all to one horse
though. Don't want to founder them.

Hank Rogers

Sep 24, 2023, 8:04:24 PM9/24/23
Piss in the bucket before fermentation, and you'll have Squirtz
style hard cider. Bottoms up!

Hank Rogers

Sep 24, 2023, 8:06:46 PM9/24/23
Probably not if yoose a police officer like dave.

Hank Rogers

Sep 24, 2023, 8:08:02 PM9/24/23
Popeye used the deer on his place for sex. Remember his "horny"
boy?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 24, 2023, 8:14:19 PM9/24/23
On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 4:00:23 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> My wife has a friend who gifted us a five-gallon bucket filled with
> peaches and apples at roughly the same ratio. My wife hasn't made a pie
> in over thirty years.
> So she peeled and macerated the many peaches and used her sister's
> recipe for the dough. Here's the result. I apologize for the fluting,
> but the pie tastes great.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/KR0h3xfq>

Taste is all that matters, it wasn't going to be entered in the county fair pie
contest. Looks great to me.

> Now, what to do with the apples? I ain't crazy about apple pie. Half
> look like Granny Smiths, and half are a reddish variety of some sort.
> Just eating apples, the old-fashioned way, is out of the question with
> my teeth.
>
> leo

Do you like fried apples?? That would be a good use for some of them. There's
also Waldorf Salad to consider but you'd still have lots left over. You said you don't
care for apple pie so that would leave out fried apple hand pies.

Michael Trew

Sep 24, 2023, 8:21:10 PM9/24/23
On 9/24/2023 5:00 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> My wife has a friend who gifted us a five-gallon bucket filled with
> peaches and apples at roughly the same ratio. My wife hasn't made a pie
> in over thirty years.
> So she peeled and macerated the many peaches and used her sister's
> recipe for the dough. Here's the result. I apologize for the fluting,
> but the pie tastes great.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/KR0h3xfq>

Looks good!

> Now, what to do with the apples? I ain't crazy about apple pie. Half
> look like Granny Smiths, and half are a reddish variety of some sort.
> Just eating apples, the old-fashioned way, is out of the question with
> my teeth.
>
> leo

Do you ever eat home made apple pie? I can't stomach store bought pie.
Unless made the way my grandma makes it, I won't eat it. Simply:
McIntosh apples, cinnamon, and easy on the sugar, in homemade pastry.

jmcquown

Sep 24, 2023, 8:29:06 PM9/24/23
Michael, he said "I ain't crazy about apple pie."

Jill

songbird

Sep 24, 2023, 8:30:25 PM9/24/23
Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> Now, what to do with the apples? I ain't crazy about apple pie. Half
> look like Granny Smiths, and half are a reddish variety of some sort.
> Just eating apples, the old-fashioned way, is out of the question with
> my teeth.

core them, cut out the bad parts/worms, quarter them
and then cook for a while until soft, run through a food
mill, add some cinamon if you want and then can them in
a BWB. apple sauce, no sugar added or needed. use it
for all sorts of other things or eating as is.

enjoy nature's bounty! :)

songbird

Mike Duffy

Sep 24, 2023, 9:43:19 PM9/24/23
On 2023-09-25, Hank Rogers wrote:

> horses [...] they'll damn sure eat those apples
> Don't feed them all to one horse though [..]
> Don't want to founder them.

Wiki says 'founder' is a horse foot ailment
caused by a number of things, none due to diet.

I thought horse tracts were too short for fermentation
to produce alcohol from fruit. What do you mean?

GM

Sep 24, 2023, 10:05:26 PM9/24/23
Like humans, horses can get "the back door trots", Mike...

--
GM

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 24, 2023, 10:07:31 PM9/24/23
On 2023-09-24, Ed P <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:

> Looks good. I miss a good home made pie, both peach and apple.

> Fried apples go well with pork.

I know. I usually serve pork chops with store-bought applesauce. I just
looked up applesauce in allrecipes, and it seems easy enough.
Let me check for cinnamon. Got it.
So I just peeled and cored the apples, three green and three red.
The cores looked like disaster areas. Worms were known to all of them.
I googled, and they're "fine". The chunks I used were worm-destruction
free. So...we'll see.
The apple harvest doesn't look nearly as splendiferous as it did when
I started this project. :(

Bruce

Sep 25, 2023, 1:56:12 AM9/25/23

S Viemeister

Sep 25, 2023, 3:13:25 AM9/25/23
You could try Eve's pudding, served with warm custard or cream.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 25, 2023, 4:00:33 AM9/25/23
On 2023-09-25, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

> Do you like fried apples?? That would be a good use for some of them. There's
> also Waldorf Salad to consider but you'd still have lots left over. You said you don't
> care for apple pie so that would leave out fried apple hand pies.

I don't believe that I've ever eaten fried apples. That's an option.
I love Waldorf salad! My wife doesn't. It has nuts in it. :(
After the applesauce experiment, I'm not as excited with these apples
as I used to be.

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 25, 2023, 4:02:33 AM9/25/23
On 2023-09-25, S Viemeister <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

> You could try Eve's pudding, served with warm custard or cream.

I'll check Eve's pudding out.

Bruce

Sep 25, 2023, 4:06:03 AM9/25/23
On 25 Sep 2023 08:00:26 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2023-09-25, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
>> Do you like fried apples?? That would be a good use for some of them. There's
>> also Waldorf Salad to consider but you'd still have lots left over. You said you don't
>> care for apple pie so that would leave out fried apple hand pies.
>

>I don't believe that I've ever eaten fried apples. That's an option.

Me neither, but I always thought about it when we lived in the Apple
Isle. I wonder if you can pimp them with things like garlic, onion and
chilli or would that clash?

>I love Waldorf salad! My wife doesn't. It has nuts in it. :(
>After the applesauce experiment, I'm not as excited with these apples
>as I used to be.

Apple juice then?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

S Viemeister

Sep 25, 2023, 5:03:44 AM9/25/23
Apple fritters, dusted with powdered sugar.
Eaten while still hot - they don't keep well.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 25, 2023, 6:54:50 AM9/25/23
On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 3:02:33 AM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I'll check Eve's pudding out.

Just don't let your wife find out.

--Bryan

Janet

Sep 25, 2023, 7:39:49 AM9/25/23
In article <QA5QM.30569$UHH3....@fx45.iad>,
mxd...@bell.net says...
"founder" = laminitis, a serious inflammation of the
equine foot which can be caused by diet.

"Can laminitis be cured?
Laminitis is a crippling condition which can be fatal in
severe cases. Once a horse has had an episode of
laminitis, they are particularly susceptible to future
episodes. Laminitis can be managed but not cured which is
why prevention is so important."

Janet UK

Dave Smith

Sep 25, 2023, 8:53:55 AM9/25/23
I used to make them once a year but then we got rid of the deep fryer.
They were great. I needed apples that would retain their texture to
some degree, otherwise the apple slices would turn to mush.

We used to get apple fritters made by a group of church ladies for a
local Pioneer Day. They were in big demand and we always had to wait in
line but it was worth it. Years later we went to a similar event in a
different town. We waited in line for 45 minutes and were eagerly
anticipating our fresh hot apple fritters. It turned out they were
completely different from the batter dipped slices we used to get. There
were balls of dough with little chunks of apple. They had the texture
of a rubber ball. Major disappointment.

songbird

Sep 25, 2023, 10:18:33 AM9/25/23
Michael Trew wrote:
> Do you ever eat home made apple pie? I can't stomach store bought pie.
> Unless made the way my grandma makes it, I won't eat it. Simply:
> McIntosh apples, cinnamon, and easy on the sugar, in homemade pastry.

i like just the apples and no crust, also some lemon
juice really helps keep it tart.

songbird

cshenk

Sep 25, 2023, 5:22:57 PM9/25/23
Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> My wife has a friend who gifted us a five-gallon bucket filled with
> peaches and apples at roughly the same ratio. My wife hasn't made a
> pie in over thirty years.
> So she peeled and macerated the many peaches and used her sister's
> recipe for the dough. Here's the result. I apologize for the fluting,
> but the pie tastes great.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/KR0h3xfq>
>
> Now, what to do with the apples? I ain't crazy about apple pie. Half
> look like Granny Smiths, and half are a reddish variety of some sort.
> Just eating apples, the old-fashioned way, is out of the question with
> my teeth.
>
> leo

Nice bakers rack! You're the only one besides me who's ever shown one.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 25, 2023, 5:40:05 PM9/25/23
Fried apples with a grilled ham slice is heavenly.

If you make Waldorf Salad, divide it in half just as you finish preparing it
and add the nuts to your portion. Both of you will get what you like in this
salad.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 25, 2023, 5:51:42 PM9/25/23
On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 6:39:49 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:

> "founder" = laminitis, a serious inflammation of the
> equine foot which can be caused by diet.
>
> "Can laminitis be cured?
> Laminitis is a crippling condition which can be fatal in
> severe cases. Once a horse has had an episode of
> laminitis, they are particularly susceptible to future
> episodes. Laminitis can be managed but not cured which is
> why prevention is so important."
>
> Janet UK

That's what the Kentucky Derby winner, Secretariat died of.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 25, 2023, 5:59:52 PM9/25/23
On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 7:53:55 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> We used to get apple fritters made by a group of church ladies for a
> local Pioneer Day. They were in big demand and we always had to wait in
> line but it was worth it. Years later we went to a similar event in a
> different town. We waited in line for 45 minutes and were eagerly
> anticipating our fresh hot apple fritters. It turned out they were
> completely different from the batter dipped slices we used to get. There
> were balls of dough with little chunks of apple. They had the texture
> of a rubber ball. Major disappointment.

There is an apple farm in Sevierville, TN, just 3 or 4 miles down the road from
Gatlinburg in east Tennessee. There is a large restaurant on the premises
plus gift shop and everything to do with apples. One of the appetizers that
comes with each meal is apple fritters and yes, they are the little round balls.
But they are very tender with tiny apple chunks in each fritter. They're almost
like eating a round muffin and on-site made apple butter and apple cider is
served with these little gems.

Dave Smith

Sep 25, 2023, 6:07:26 PM9/25/23
There are donut style apple fritters sold in donut shops and bakeries
here. I think that is what they were aiming for at the place where they
were so bad. Maybe they omitted the leavening. In my experience, the
old fashioned style sliced apples dipped in batter and deep fried were
by far the best.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 25, 2023, 6:22:35 PM9/25/23
I'd forgotten about the apple donuts sold in the donut shops. It's been years
since I've eaten one of those.

GM

Sep 25, 2023, 6:31:38 PM9/25/23
itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> I'd forgotten about the apple donuts sold in the donut shops. It's been years
> since I've eaten one of those.

Speaking of "years":

Jeez, Joan, look at this... remember when he was just a kid...???

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/david-mccallum-dead-ncis-man-from-uncle-1235734772/

David McCallum, Star of ‘NCIS,’ ‘The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,’ Dies at 90

"David McCallum, who starred as Illya Kuryakin alongside Robert Vaughn’s Napoleon Solo in the 1960s hit spy drama “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” and had a supporting role as pathologist Dr. Donald “Ducky” Mallard on the top-rated series “NCIS” decades later, died Monday of natural causes in New York City. He was 90.

His son Peter made a statement on behalf of his family, saying, “He was the kindest, coolest, most patient and loving father. He always put family before self. He looked forward to any chance to connect with his grandchildren, and had a unique bond with each of them. He and his youngest grandson, Whit, 9, could often be found in the corner of a room at family parties having deep philosophical conversations.

The James Bond-influenced “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,” in which Vaughn’s Solo and McCallum’s Kuryakin battled the evil forces of THRUSH around the globe (thanks to the glories of stock footage), was quite the pop-culture phenomenon in the mid-1960s, even as the show’s tone wavered from fairly serious to cartoonish and back again over its four seasons. It spawned a spinoff, “The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.,” starring Stefanie Powers...

At the height of his fame in the 1960s, McCallum recorded four albums for Capitol Records. These were not opportunities for him to sing; instead, the classically trained musician conceived a blend of oboe, English horn, and strings with guitar and drums, presenting instrumental interpretations of current hits. Though someone else was officially credited as the arranger on the albums, McCallum conducted some of the music and contributed several original compositions.

David Keith McCallum was born in Glasgow, Scotland, to a father who was first violinist for the London Philharmonic and a mother who was a cellist. Thus he originally pursued a career in music, training on the oboe and studying for a time at the Royal Academy of Music, though he soon left and enrolled at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. After RADA he started performing with repertory theater companies.

But he had actually begun his professional acting career when he was 12, in 1946, performing for the BBC radio repertory company.

He made his screen debut in the BBC fantasy miniseries “The Rose and the Ring” in 1953..."

</>

jmcquown

Sep 25, 2023, 7:33:19 PM9/25/23
Moot point since Leo doesn't own a horse.

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 25, 2023, 9:37:39 PM9/25/23
On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 5:31:38 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:

> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>
> > I'd forgotten about the apple donuts sold in the donut shops. It's been years
> > since I've eaten one of those.
> >
> Speaking of "years":
>
> Jeez, Joan, look at this... remember when he was just a kid...???
>
> https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/david-mccallum-dead-ncis-man-from-uncle-1235734772/
>
> David McCallum, Star of ‘NCIS,’ ‘The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,’ Dies at 90

Oh wow, I had not read this today. He lived a long life that's for sure.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 25, 2023, 9:53:59 PM9/25/23
On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 5:31:38 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>

> > I'd forgotten about the apple donuts sold in the donut shops. It's been years
> > since I've eaten one of those.
> Speaking of "years":
>
> Jeez, Joan, look at this... remember when he was just a kid...???
>
> https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/david-mccallum-dead-ncis-man-from-uncle-1235734772/
>
> David McCallum, Star of ‘NCIS,’ ‘The Man From

There were some really great TV shows in the 1960s.
*The Man From U.N.C.L.E.* wasn't one of them.

--Bryan

Michael Trew

Sep 26, 2023, 12:01:59 AM9/26/23
On 9/25/2023 5:22 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/KR0h3xfq>
>
> Nice bakers rack! You're the only one besides me who's ever shown one.

I have a small one which sits on the counter. I don't pull it out to
use it often, but it is there and occasionally used. I do set the hot
tea kettle on it every morning (which I use to boil water to brew my
coffee).

Michael Trew

Sep 26, 2023, 12:03:01 AM9/26/23
He was only making occasional NCIS appearances for quite a while.

GM

Sep 26, 2023, 1:32:53 AM9/26/23
He was in two classic " Outer Limits " episodes... this ep will still creep you out, it gave my nine - year self nightmares back in '64:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forms_of_Things_Unknown

"The Forms of Things Unknown" is an episode of the original The Outer Limits television show. It first aired on May 4, 1964, and was the final episode of the first season. It was filmed in a dual format as both a regular episode of The Outer Limits and as a pilot episode for a possible series called The Unknown...

The plot involves two women who kill a blackmailer. Driving through the countryside with the body in the trunk, looking for a good place to bury him, they take refuge from a storm in a house containing a blind man and a strange young inventor who is experimenting with time. Unlike the traditional "time travel" devices, this one is intended to "tilt the cycles of time" and bring the dead back to life...which is what happens to the murdered blackmailer...

The episode is considered an unusual one, even for The Outer Limits. More than almost any other, it is filled with weird camera angles, atmospheric photography, gothic sets, creepy music (much of which surfaced later in the TV series The Invaders), and offbeat writing and performances, giving the episode something of an "art house movie" feel...

Cast:

Vera Miles – as Kassia Paine
Sir Cedric Hardwicke – as Colas
Scott Marlowe – as André
David McCallum – as Tone Hobart
Barbara Rush – as Leonora Edmond..."

--
GM

songbird

Sep 26, 2023, 8:27:02 AM9/26/23
itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> I'd forgotten about the apple donuts sold in the donut shops. It's been years
> since I've eaten one of those.

if they are done well they're great as should be any
cake donut.

but what Dave describes i've never seen sold at a store
or even a fancy donut shop as it seems it would be an item
more often available at an apple place instead.

songbird

songbird

Sep 26, 2023, 8:27:07 AM9/26/23
cshenk wrote:
> Nice bakers rack! You're the only one besides me who's ever shown one.

we regularly use a rack from the oven since it isn't
often we bake two layers at once.

songbird

Dave Smith

Sep 26, 2023, 9:01:48 AM9/26/23
I have never seen them in stores of donut shops either. Heck, I haven't
seem them anywhere for a long time. I keep missing the Pioneer Day event
where I first discovered them. That's why I learned to make them. They
are simple enough. All you need is some good cooking apples that will
hold up to the cooking. Peel core and slice the apples into rounds. Dip
them in batter and pop them into the deep fryer. Serve immediately
sprinkled with icing sugar or cinnamon sugar. A little maple syrup makes
them even better.

songbird

Sep 26, 2023, 2:17:04 PM9/26/23
we don't deep fry anything here. the closest i
would get to these would be making pancakes and
putting some chunks of apples in the pancake
batter. hot pan with some butter and we're
golden. :)

songbird

cshenk

Sep 26, 2023, 3:19:20 PM9/26/23
When you bake bread, use it as the hot bread cools. Inhibits mold
developing by not trapping excess moisture under the loaf.

cshenk

Sep 26, 2023, 3:25:34 PM9/26/23
When you look closely at the picture with the bakers rack, you will see
little 'feet' under it so air flows under it as things cool.

There's several things that get called a 'bakers rack'. This one is
the table top type.

songbird

Sep 26, 2023, 4:14:33 PM9/26/23
cshenk wrote:
> When you look closely at the picture with the bakers rack, you will see
> little 'feet' under it so air flows under it as things cool.

same for the racks from the oven, they're propped up
about an inch from the metal bits that hold them in
the oven. works a charm and no extra gadget needed
for the kitchen - which is nice since we're tight on
extra space.

songbird

bruce bowser

Sep 26, 2023, 4:51:37 PM9/26/23
On Tuesday, September 26, 2023 at 8:27:02 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> > I'd forgotten about the apple donuts sold in the donut shops. It's been years
> > since I've eaten one of those.
> if they are done well they're great as should be any
> cake donut.

That would be deep frying donut dough, right?

jmcquown

Sep 26, 2023, 5:10:28 PM9/26/23
On 9/25/2023 9:37 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
Back when I used to watch 'NCIS' and McCallum was still on regularly, he
was at a crime scene when a bystander commented, "He looks just like
Illya Kuryakin!" Only people who had seen 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E'
would have understood the reference. :)

Jill

Leonard Blaisdell

Sep 27, 2023, 11:00:00 PM9/27/23
On 2023-09-25, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> Do you ever eat home made apple pie? I can't stomach store bought pie.
> Unless made the way my grandma makes it, I won't eat it. Simply:
> McIntosh apples, cinnamon, and easy on the sugar, in homemade pastry.

I've eaten all sorts of apple pie. I love crispy apples which apple pie
has never provided for me. I'm nuts for peach and cherry pie, but
Un-American in my ennui for apple pie. It's just me.

Bruce

Sep 27, 2023, 11:01:52 PM9/27/23
On 28 Sep 2023 02:59:53 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
I agree. I think the best use for apples is apple juice or apple based
liquor.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Dave Smith

Sep 27, 2023, 11:06:37 PM9/27/23
It's a funny thing about apple pie. It is a favourite for a lot of
people and some of us have that ennui. I will eat home made apple pie if
someone makes it for me or serves it to me. I make it if our son is
coming because he loves it but I don't make it for myself. It's way down
on my list of favourites.

Bruce

Sep 27, 2023, 11:09:18 PM9/27/23
But how does Microwave feel about apple pie?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 27, 2023, 11:46:55 PM9/27/23
I don't eat much apple pie, but when I do, I prefer McDonald's Hot Apple Pie. I like it because it's quick and easy. You eat it with your hands and you don't need a plate or anything. It's also crispy because it's fried. My guess I won't much care for a McDonald's pie on the mainland because they're baked - also they don't have coconut or taro pies.

Gary

Sep 28, 2023, 10:03:23 AM9/28/23
On 9/27/2023 11:01 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2023 02:59:53 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
> <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-09-25, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Do you ever eat home made apple pie? I can't stomach store bought pie.
>>> Unless made the way my grandma makes it, I won't eat it. Simply:
>>> McIntosh apples, cinnamon, and easy on the sugar, in homemade pastry.
>>

>> I've eaten all sorts of apple pie. I love crispy apples which apple pie
>> has never provided for me. I'm nuts for peach and cherry pie, but
>> Un-American in my ennui for apple pie. It's just me.
>
> I agree. I think the best use for apples is apple juice or apple based
> liquor.

https://crownwineandspirits.com/products/jim-beam-apple-bourbon-whiskey-750ml

Good for sippin' and soaking fruitcake if you like to do that.

Gary US

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 4:17:39 PM9/28/23
I bought a bottle of Jim Beam (not apple) bourbon a few months ago and
I liked it for the first time. I always suspected I'd get there if I
kept trying. I'm sure I'd like the apple version too, because I also
like calvados and poire Williams.
<https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/image/cache/data/Liqueur/Poire-William-Eau-de-Vie-776x1176.jpg>

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

cshenk

Sep 28, 2023, 9:01:54 PM9/28/23
My oven racks don't have that. I don't think I've ever seen an oven
rack like that. Odd, got a picture?

Michael Trew

Sep 28, 2023, 10:46:33 PM9/28/23
He's alive!

> Gary US

LOL, did I inspire that?? ;)

Michael Trew

Sep 28, 2023, 10:47:10 PM9/28/23
Fair enough. I probably wouldn't like it if I didn't grow up eating it.

jmcquown

Sep 28, 2023, 10:55:22 PM9/28/23
Oven racks are not baker's racks. They have hooks that keep them from
sliding straight out onto the floor, to avoid pulling them straight out
and spilling hot food onto the open oven door and onto the floor. Any
oven I've ever had, you had to slightly lift and then pull the racks
out. If rested on the counter they would be raised. But they are *not*
intended to be used to cool food on the counter top.

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 28, 2023, 10:57:25 PM9/28/23
Perhaps that's the reason he's gone missing. Leo was talking about
making apple sauce and Gary's talking about apple bourbon whiskey.

Jill

Bruce

Sep 28, 2023, 11:01:12 PM9/28/23
On Thu, 28 Sep 2023 22:57:05 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Gary wins this one.

songbird

Sep 29, 2023, 12:11:00 AM9/29/23
bruce bowser wrote:
> That would be deep frying donut dough, right?

yes. though i can also say that i do like pan fried
pancakes with enough butter to make them crunchy...

i don't eat these very often any longer but if
i'm going to have them they have to be good and
worth the calories.

songbird

songbird

Sep 29, 2023, 12:11:02 AM9/29/23
cshenk wrote:
> My oven racks don't have that. I don't think I've ever seen an oven
> rack like that. Odd, got a picture?

they look like this:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/a3e582c9-61b3-4ea4-8920-e29f8f537ed9_1.b72e4b3d8f9b24b0bda93c562e34e092.jpeg

songbird

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 29, 2023, 5:21:02 AM9/29/23
We all grew up eating apple pie. It certainly isn't anywhere near my
favorite pie. Nostalgia isn't strong enough to motivate me to eat
something so high in calories for so little reward.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Sep 29, 2023, 5:32:20 AM9/29/23
The question remains.

Gregory Morrow

Sep 29, 2023, 8:56:04 AM9/29/23
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> We all grew up eating apple pie. It certainly isn't anywhere near my
> favorite pie. Nostalgia isn't strong enough to motivate me to eat
> something so high in calories for so little reward.

Is that how you maintain your svelte 250 pound frame, Cindy?

--
GM

Dave Smith

Sep 29, 2023, 9:44:57 AM9/29/23
Those "legs" are guides to slide the rack into oven and to prevent them
from sliding out.

jmcquown

Sep 29, 2023, 10:22:46 AM9/29/23
Exactly. I have to lift the racks in my oven to remove them or to
change the rack height inside the oven. Without them they could slide
right out onto the open oven door, potentially spilling hot food all
over the place.

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 29, 2023, 10:22:47 AM9/29/23

jmcquown

Sep 29, 2023, 10:22:47 AM9/29/23

jmcquown

Sep 29, 2023, 10:23:45 AM9/29/23

songbird

Sep 29, 2023, 11:57:24 AM9/29/23
i rarely move the rack at all to put things in or to
take them out of the oven. we don't really use the oven
that often these days anyways. a few times a month
perhaps. it's nice though when i do need it like for
canning season when i can fit 24 quarts in there at one
time to seal them.

anyways, yes, the little nubs of metal do make it so
that the rack doesn't come out easily, but it will still
come out and we don't always need two racks in the oven
so the 2nd one does work well (when turned over) as a
baking rack.

songbird

Michael Trew

Sep 29, 2023, 7:47:35 PM9/29/23
On 9/29/2023 5:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-09-29, Michael Trew<michae...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> Fair enough. I probably wouldn't like it if I didn't grow up eating it.
>
> We all grew up eating apple pie.

That was the only pie I'd really eaten as a child. My family didn't buy
pies, and that's all that was home made.

> It certainly isn't anywhere near my
> favorite pie. Nostalgia isn't strong enough to motivate me to eat
> something so high in calories for so little reward.

Truth be told, I eat very little, so I never think about calories. I
ate a free donut at work today, and a couple hand fulls of pretzels.
That's about all I've had today. I should probably eat something, so
I'm going to heat up a bowl of chili (or whatever you call it) here soon.

Bruce

Sep 29, 2023, 7:58:20 PM9/29/23
I thought you were moderately overweight. How do you get like that
when you don't eat much?

Michael Trew

Sep 30, 2023, 10:20:53 AM9/30/23
Eating take out or fast food near daily for quite a few years. With the
exception of the last 6 months, give or take. For a long time, spending
money on food was probably the only way I wasn't being cheap. I'm not
intentionally dieting, but it's amazing how much weight you can lose
when you don't eat. Lol

Bruce

Sep 30, 2023, 3:03:53 PM9/30/23
Yes, it can go super fast, also without extra exercise. I think I can
lose a kilo a day. Only for 8 days or so, but that's still
considerable.

John Kuthe

Sep 30, 2023, 3:05:32 PM9/30/23
On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 4:00:23 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> My wife has a friend who gifted us a five-gallon bucket filled with
> peaches and apples at roughly the same ratio. My wife hasn't made a pie
> in over thirty years.
> So she peeled and macerated the many peaches and used her sister's
> recipe for the dough. Here's the result. I apologize for the fluting,
> but the pie tastes great.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/KR0h3xfq>
>
> Now, what to do with the apples? I ain't crazy about apple pie. Half
> look like Granny Smiths, and half are a reddish variety of some sort.
> Just eating apples, the old-fashioned way, is out of the question with
> my teeth.
>
> leo

Oh YES! Pie is always good! :-)

John Kuthe, RN, BSN

Bryan Simmons

Sep 30, 2023, 4:10:26 PM9/30/23
Is "warm apple pie" your new girlfriend? Real women find
you creepy. Maybe they can sense that you are turned on
by sexual abuse.

> John Kuthe, RN, BSN

--Bryan

John Kuthe

Sep 30, 2023, 10:30:44 PM9/30/23
LIAR! Bryan, you are a Narcissistic Personality Disorder sufferer who cannot roll a kayak, and is an ASSHOLE! :-(

John Kuthe, RN, BSN