Egg Salad -- What do you put in your egg salad?

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 28, 2018, 4:40:44 PM1/28/18

I'm kinda bored and am thinking I might try something different in my
egg salad. I've made my honey rye flake bread today and egg salad
sandwiches is on the menu. What goes into your egg salad?
Janet US

Boron Elgar

Jan 28, 2018, 4:52:09 PM1/28/18
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 14:40:35 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
Egg, mayo, S&P. I never get exotic with egg salad, although I have
been known to layer an ES sandwich with a slice or 3 of bacon.

I used a lot of eggs this weekend, both raw in recipes and hardboiled
for other things.

I made brioche and some pecan sticky buns.

Then I made some chicken liver pate (ok - chopped liver) and used duck
fat to saute the onions and livers. Sliced up a bit of brioche and
spread it with the pate. Heavenly.

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 28, 2018, 4:57:45 PM1/28/18
I've been wanting to do chicken liver pate for some time now. I've
misplaced my favorite recipe so I guess I just go for it.
I just don't do much in the way of sweet yeast things. Probably the
last thing I did years ago was elephant ears.
Worse comes to worse I'll do the plain egg salad. It really needs
some crunch or something, don't you think?
Janet US

cshenk

Jan 28, 2018, 5:02:53 PM1/28/18
Nothing really fancy there on my end. I do like to add a little minced
onion. Roughly 1/4c minced onion to 6 eggs. Might add a dash or so of
hot hungarian paprika.

I dislike things like celery and other crunchy stuff in there although
I know many like that effect.

cshenk

Jan 28, 2018, 5:18:41 PM1/28/18
Smile, I'll skip the liver but take the rest! Somehow liver ended up
being one thing I can't stand.

penm...@aol.com

Jan 28, 2018, 5:25:06 PM1/28/18
Chives, celery salt, dillweed, mustard, white pepper, ranch
dressing... sometimes lox.

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2018, 5:53:20 PM1/28/18
Since you ask.... I don't make egg salad. I am not saying I don't like
it, don't eat it or can't eat it. It just never occurs to me to make egg
salad. I think I have made it once, maybe twice. It just doesn't occur
to me. However, if I am at a function where sandwiches are being served
and egg salad is one of the choices, I usually make a point of trying
it, and I usually really enjoy them.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 28, 2018, 5:59:58 PM1/28/18
Chopped eggs of course, salt, mayo, and if I do a dozen of eggs they
get an 8 ounce block of softened cream cheese. Half a dozen eggs
get one of those 3 ounce blocks but if I don't have one of the small
blocks on hand then I'll just halve the 8 ounce package. It's import-
ant the cream cheese is s-o-f-t.

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 28, 2018, 6:11:26 PM1/28/18
I know that my husband will want to eat some of the fresh bread. It's
useless to try something else for dinner. He'll have a nighttime
snack of peanut butter and huckleberry jam as well. Anyway, I gave
him a choice of cold meatloaf sandwiches or egg salad sandwiches and
he chose the egg.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 28, 2018, 6:12:24 PM1/28/18
That's the one ingredient that I don't have in the house. I'll keep
that in mind for next time. Thanks
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 28, 2018, 6:14:27 PM1/28/18
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 22:42:26 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:
>A little celery, diced small, if on-hand a little diced SWEET
>onion, also diced small. The celery and onion are just for a
>little texture and subtle flavor. Instead of mayo, I use Kraft
>or Hellman's Sandwich Spread (whichever I last found at
>supermarket), which is basically may with sweet pickle relish in
>it.

that's my go-to egg salad and it's good. Thanks for your response.
Janet US

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2018, 6:27:10 PM1/28/18
On 2018-01-28 6:11 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 17:55:23 -0500, Dave Smith

>> Since you ask.... I don't make egg salad. I am not saying I don't like
>> it, don't eat it or can't eat it. It just never occurs to me to make egg
>> salad. I think I have made it once, maybe twice. It just doesn't occur
>> to me. However, if I am at a function where sandwiches are being served
>> and egg salad is one of the choices, I usually make a point of trying
>> it, and I usually really enjoy them.
>>

> I know that my husband will want to eat some of the fresh bread. It's
> useless to try something else for dinner. He'll have a nighttime
> snack of peanut butter and huckleberry jam as well. Anyway, I gave
> him a choice of cold meatloaf sandwiches or egg salad sandwiches and
> he chose the egg.

It's hard to get people to eat something else if there is fresh bread to
be eaten. A meatloaf sandwich can be a wonderful thing, but I think I
might opt for the egg salad. I did not say I do not like it. It is just
one of those things where it is something that, for some reason, it just
never occurs to me to make.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 28, 2018, 6:44:33 PM1/28/18
On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 5:12:24 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 14:59:52 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>
> >Chopped eggs of course, salt, mayo, and if I do a dozen of eggs they
> >get an 8 ounce block of softened cream cheese. Half a dozen eggs
> >get one of those 3 ounce blocks but if I don't have one of the small
> >blocks on hand then I'll just halve the 8 ounce package. It's import-
> >ant the cream cheese is s-o-f-t.
> >
> That's the one ingredient that I don't have in the house. I'll keep
> that in mind for next time. Thanks
> Janet US

It's quite tasty in the egg salad, I promise.

sockmo...@comcast.net

Jan 28, 2018, 8:13:12 PM1/28/18
If it's for me, I'll add a tiny squirt of regular mustard, a bit of finely minced red onion, and chopped celery for crunch. Hubby hates mustard so I usually make two separate batches. I like a small scoop on a toasted English muffin.

Denise in NH

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 28, 2018, 8:25:23 PM1/28/18
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 17:13:06 -0800 (PST), sockmo...@comcast.net
wrote:

>If it's for me, I'll add a tiny squirt of regular mustard, a bit of finely minced red onion, and chopped celery for crunch. Hubby hates mustard so I usually make two separate batches. I like a small scoop on a toasted English muffin.
>
>Denise in NH
that's sort of what I did. I spread mustard on my bread and left the
egg salad plain for my husband. I was expecting others here to say
they used capers, or curry or siracha or something exotic
Janet US

S Viemeister

Jan 28, 2018, 9:08:01 PM1/28/18
Eggs. Salt. Pepper.
A pinch of dry mustard.
A little very-finely-chopped celery and shallot.
Half mayo, half sour cream.

Broce

Jan 28, 2018, 9:41:38 PM1/28/18
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2018-01-28 4:40 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I'm kinda bored and am thinking I might try something different in my
>> egg salad. I've made my honey rye flake bread today and egg salad
>> sandwiches is on the menu. What goes into your egg salad?
>

>Since you ask.... I don't make egg salad. I am not saying I don't like
>it, don't eat it or can't eat it. It just never occurs to me to make egg
>salad. I think I have made it once, maybe twice. It just doesn't occur
>to me.

We understand, Dave.

Doris Night

Jan 28, 2018, 11:10:33 PM1/28/18
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 16:52:05 -0500, Boron Elgar
<boron...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 14:40:35 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
>wrote:
>

>>I'm kinda bored and am thinking I might try something different in my
>>egg salad. I've made my honey rye flake bread today and egg salad
>>sandwiches is on the menu. What goes into your egg salad?
>>Janet US
>
>Egg, mayo, S&P. I never get exotic with egg salad, although I have
>been known to layer an ES sandwich with a slice or 3 of bacon.

I'm with Boron. Eggs, mayo, and S&P only. And it has to be real mayo
(I use Hellmans) - no Miracle whip or other "salad dressing."

If you use something like Miracle Whip, the egg salad will separate
because you are basically adding water. I find also that diced celery
or onion will "weep" and add water.

Same thing with tuna and salmon salad.

Doris

Doris Night

Jan 28, 2018, 11:13:07 PM1/28/18
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2018-01-28 4:40 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I'm kinda bored and am thinking I might try something different in my
>> egg salad. I've made my honey rye flake bread today and egg salad
>> sandwiches is on the menu. What goes into your egg salad?
>

>Since you ask.... I don't make egg salad. I am not saying I don't like
>it, don't eat it or can't eat it. It just never occurs to me to make egg
>salad. I think I have made it once, maybe twice. It just doesn't occur
>to me.

Every time I make boiled eggs for breakfast I always boil an extra 3
or 4 to use in egg salad.

It's one of our favourite sandwich fillings. We eat it at least once a
week.

Doris

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 12:07:07 AM1/29/18
Understood. Thanks
Janet US

Cheri

Jan 29, 2018, 1:22:14 AM1/29/18
"U.S. Janet B." <J...@nospam.com> wrote in message
Mayo, mustard, dill pickle relish, finely chopped celery and onion, salt and
pepper...plus a very few red pepper flakes as a rule.

Cheri

Cheri

Jan 29, 2018, 1:24:20 AM1/29/18
"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I don't find that to be true with the chopped celery and onion, but I don't
keep it long, usually make what I'm using for the day.

Cheri

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 29, 2018, 6:40:47 AM1/29/18
Egg, mayo (Hellman's), minced onion, celery and (if available) radish,
salt and pepper. Maybe a tiny sprinkle of cayenne.

I used to put alfalfa sprouts on egg salad sandwiches, but I rarely
have them on hand anymore.

Cindy Hamilton

Boron

Jan 29, 2018, 9:38:18 AM1/29/18
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 14:57:36 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
I put the crunch on the sandwich, bacon, as I mentioned, or a piece of
Romaine, or thinly sliced cuke.

Sweet yeasted things- yeah, well, there was that 2lb brick of fresh
yeast that screamed "use me" ever time I opened the fridge. My problem
was that I used Julia Child's recipe. It isn't bad - it's good, in
fact, but I have made my own versions of challahs, brioche, sticky
buns for ages and my taste-memories really wanted that, not Julia's.

And following a complicated recipe over 2 days was not fun. Some of
it, I thought, unnecessary, but that is from the vantage of a person
who bakes a lot. I felt constrained, I guess, but that was my ego.

Boron

Jan 29, 2018, 9:40:24 AM1/29/18
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 14:57:36 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
Oh, the liver - saute onions, saute livers, add a hard boiled egg or
two, and run the food processor until you get the texture you like.
Salt is the only seasoning I use.

Keep in mind my target in taste and texture is old-fashioned, Jewish
style chopped liver. There are a lot fancier options out there that
might be more appealing to you. To me, it is comfort food.

Taxed and Spent

Jan 29, 2018, 9:56:57 AM1/29/18
chopped black olives

Gary

Jan 29, 2018, 10:25:17 AM1/29/18
Oh sick!!!
Just kidding but not really. I just hate olives.

My egg salad is often plain...egg and mayo + S&P on soft white
bread.
Sometimes I'll add in a tiny bit of "horseradish mustard" but not
much. If I want some crunch and have it handy, I'll add a leaf or
two of iceberg lettuce.

Nancy2

Jan 29, 2018, 10:57:55 AM1/29/18
Just mayo, salt &a pepper for me. But I put a couple big dill pickle
"sandwich slicesslices in it. Or instead, sometimes just crisp iceberg
lettuce. For me, anything else just messes it up. OTOH, if onions
didn't affect my tummy so negatively, a nice crisp white onion slice
would be added sometimes for variety.

I have a new loaf of rye bread, so this reminds me of one of my
favorite lunches...egg salad on rye.

N.

Gary

Jan 29, 2018, 11:07:17 AM1/29/18
Nancy2 wrote:

> I have a new loaf of rye bread, so this reminds me of one of my
> favorite lunches...egg salad on rye.

Hmmm. I really love rye bread but have never used it for egg
salad. Lightly toasted or just plain and fresh? I'll try this in
a day or two.

Sqwertz

Jan 29, 2018, 11:18:52 AM1/29/18

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/image/jpg/steve-wertz-presentation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw

Caída de la casa

Jan 29, 2018, 12:20:05 PM1/29/18
On 1/29/2018 10:07 AM, l not -l wrote:
> And now, you've reminded me of one of my favorites - chopped bbq
> mutton on rye with a nice slice of sweet onion. I'll have to
> pull a package of bbq mutton from the freezer and have one
> tomorrow for supper. With slaw on the side.

Dang that sounds good!

Share a pic maybe?

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 12:42:21 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:40:17 -0500, Boron <boron...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
snip

>Oh, the liver - saute onions, saute livers, add a hard boiled egg or
>two, and run the food processor until you get the texture you like.
>Salt is the only seasoning I use.
>
>Keep in mind my target in taste and texture is old-fashioned, Jewish
>style chopped liver. There are a lot fancier options out there that
>might be more appealing to you. To me, it is comfort food.

there was something else in my fav recipe. I just can't remember what
it was. I hadn't made it in years and years because I was working.
I'll keep looking. It was some other little flavor component.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 12:44:15 PM1/29/18
On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 22:21:45 -0800, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
The red pepper flakes sounds like a good idea. I'll try that next
time. thx
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 12:47:38 PM1/29/18
Radish -- there's a thought. I used to put sprouts on sandwiches a
lot but then there was that scare years ago about them and I got out
of the practice. Then I grew them for awhile. I do have some bean
sprouts seeds in the house that I need to use up. Thanks for the
reminder on the sprouts. I really love sprouts on a sandwich.
Janet US

Cheri

Jan 29, 2018, 12:48:40 PM1/29/18
"l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message
> +1
> I only make egg salad in an amount I expect to use immediately.
>
> I do not care for tuna and salmon salad, so have no idea what
> they do. I do greatly enjoy shrimp salad and find it weepy no
> matter what is added, therefore only make small quantities for
> immediate use.

I do like tuna salad, but not really salmon salad. I don't believe I've ever
had shrimp salad that was akin to egg salad, I usually put shrimp in a green
salad, but I bet it would be good.

Cheri

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 12:48:43 PM1/29/18
Yep, I've done that and green/pimento too. I had them in the house, I
just forgot about that approach. thx
Janet US

Cheri

Jan 29, 2018, 12:49:39 PM1/29/18
"Caída de la casa" <ho...@cra.sh> wrote in message
I'm hungry right now so everything sounds good. :)

Cheri

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 12:50:55 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 07:57:51 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
<ellor...@gmail.com> wrote:

snip

>I have a new loaf of rye bread, so this reminds me of one of my
>favorite lunches...egg salad on rye.
>
>N.

braunschweiger on rye, limburger on rye, muenster on rye, etc.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 12:52:39 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:07:35 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

>On 29-Jan-2018, Nancy2 <ellor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>And now, you've reminded me of one of my favorites - chopped bbq
>mutton on rye with a nice slice of sweet onion. I'll have to
>pull a package of bbq mutton from the freezer and have one
>tomorrow for supper. With slaw on the side.

I would have never thought of bbq meat as a pairing with rye bread.
Just bbq'd or with a sauce of some kind?
I'll keep that in mind.
Janet US

Cheri

Jan 29, 2018, 12:54:40 PM1/29/18
"U.S. Janet B." <J...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Radish -- there's a thought. I used to put sprouts on sandwiches a
> lot but then there was that scare years ago about them and I got out
> of the practice. Then I grew them for awhile. I do have some bean
> sprouts seeds in the house that I need to use up. Thanks for the
> reminder on the sprouts. I really love sprouts on a sandwich.
> Janet US

I think radishes and sprouts sound good.

Cheri

sanne

Jan 29, 2018, 1:45:10 PM1/29/18
Marjoram? Or allspice and/or nutmeg?

Bye, Sanne.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 29, 2018, 2:07:49 PM1/29/18
On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 9:25:17 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:

> My egg salad is often plain...egg and mayo + S&P on soft white
> bread.
> Sometimes I'll add in a tiny bit of "horseradish mustard" but not
> much. If I want some crunch and have it handy, I'll add a leaf or
> two of iceberg lettuce.

Have you tried egg salad on split open English muffins that have
been LIGHTLY buttered and lightly toasted yet?

tert in seattle

Jan 29, 2018, 2:10:04 PM1/29/18
adavid...@sympatico.ca writes:
>On 2018-01-28 4:40 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I'm kinda bored and am thinking I might try something different in my
>> egg salad. I've made my honey rye flake bread today and egg salad
>> sandwiches is on the menu. What goes into your egg salad?
>

>Since you ask.... I don't make egg salad. I am not saying I don't like
>it, don't eat it or can't eat it. It just never occurs to me to make egg
>salad. I think I have made it once, maybe twice. It just doesn't occur
>to me. However, if I am at a function where sandwiches are being served
>and egg salad is one of the choices, I usually make a point of trying
>it, and I usually really enjoy them.

Dave...can I call you Dave

you are on the path to total consciousness

once you get your hands on a recipe, make sure the gangsters don't
steal it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f20pv9QBc0

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 2:11:01 PM1/29/18
I don't know. but thanks for the suggestion
Janet US

Dave Smith

Jan 29, 2018, 3:16:55 PM1/29/18
The best egg salad use I ever enjoyed was a smorsbrot in Denmark. There
was a slice of dark bread, smoked eel and a glob of egg salad on top....
washed down with a beer and a shot a Aakavit.

Boron

Jan 29, 2018, 3:49:06 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:42:13 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
Sherry, sometimes.

Boron

Jan 29, 2018, 3:50:25 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:52:31 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
Corned beef and pastrami are great on rye, too, and they are the
Eastern European equivalents of 'cue.

Ophelia

Jan 29, 2018, 4:22:01 PM1/29/18

"tert in seattle" wrote in message news:p4nrev$agu$1...@ftupet.ftupet.com...
==

<g>

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 4:26:50 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:48:23 -0500, Boron <boron...@hotmail.com>
ahhhhh. By Jove, I think you've got it!
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 4:28:56 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:49:43 -0500, Boron <boron...@hotmail.com>
You could tell I was responding from my German background, eh? (or
middle American background) Not much corned beef and pastrami
where/when I grew up. But I agree, excellent on rye bread.
Janet US

graham

Jan 29, 2018, 4:55:04 PM1/29/18
Or brandy.
Graham

penm...@aol.com

Jan 29, 2018, 5:35:12 PM1/29/18
"l not -l wrote:

>I first encountered shrimp salad in the restaurant of one of our major department stores
>(Stix, Baer and Fuller, later merged with Dillards). They had an
>outstanding shrimp salad sandwich on toasted cheese bread.

Only a TIAD imbecile business would serve shrimp on cheese bread.

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 6:13:36 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 22:21:55 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

>On 29-Jan-2018, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:07:35 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com>
>> wrote:
snip
>> >And now, you've reminded me of one of my favorites - chopped
>> >bbq
>> >mutton on rye with a nice slice of sweet onion. I'll have to
>> >pull a package of bbq mutton from the freezer and have one
>> >tomorrow for supper. With slaw on the side.
>>
>> I would have never thought of bbq meat as a pairing with rye
>> bread.
>> Just bbq'd or with a sauce of some kind?
>> I'll keep that in mind.
>> Janet US
>Not so much a sauce; but, "dip". Bbq mutton is what I grew up
>eating as a child in western Kentucky; if you said you were going
>to have bbq, it was understood that it would be mutton. The
>mutton is mopped with a thin, vinegary "dip" throughout the
>cookging process and served with extra dip, either mixed into
>chopped mutton on on-the-side for sliced. When I have a
>chopped/chipped mutton sandwich, enough dip is added to assure
>the meat is very moist, but not dripping wet. Too wet and the
>bread will get soggy and fall apart, just right and the bread
>will have just a "kiss" of the dip on the inside, but not bleed
>through. One of the two recipes I used follows. I alternate
>between two recipes because they come close to the dips used by
>two of my favorite (bygone) bbg places.
>
>My sister still lives in western KY and I have her smuggle bbq
>mutton into Missouri for me a couple of times per year. (Please
>do not tell the St. Louis bbq police, it may be illegal to eat
>mutton instead of pork steaks and dip is a radical departure from
>St. Louis' favorite sweet and thick sauce, Maull's)
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Mutton Barbecue Sauce
>
>Recipe By :
>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories :

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 4 cups water
> 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
> 1/3 cup vinegar
> 1 tablespoon black pepper
> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
> 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
> 1/2 tablespoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon allspice
> 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
> 1/4 teaspoon garlic
>
>Mix all ingredients together in a large saucepan over a low heat.
>Simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve on the table as a dipping
>sauce. You can also use this sauce as a baste on smoked lamb.

> "This isn't like most barbecue sauces you have tried. This is
> the traditional barbecue sauce of Western Kentucky Mutton
> Barbecue."

I've copied and saved this recipe because I like the sound of it.
Thank you. I take it you really mean mutton?
Janet US

Boron Elgar

Jan 29, 2018, 6:18:39 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:26:42 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 15:48:23 -0500, Boron <boron...@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:42:13 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:40:17 -0500, Boron <boron...@hotmail.com>
>>>wrote:
>>>snip

>>>there was something else in my fav recipe. I just can't remember what
>>>it was. I hadn't made it in years and years because I was working.
>>>I'll keep looking. It was some other little flavor component.
>>>Janet US
>>
>>Sherry, sometimes.
>
>ahhhhh. By Jove, I think you've got it!
>Janet US

NYT says sherry AND brandy, so Graham pegged it, too.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1181-chicken-liver-pate

Their recipe is a much more complex set of flavors.

Boron Elgar

Jan 29, 2018, 6:19:55 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:28:49 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
And I have to make some more. We just finished up the last loaf of rye
I made, although there is plenty of brioche.

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 6:37:07 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 18:18:35 -0500, Boron Elgar
I didn't subscribe so I can't view it :-{
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 6:40:26 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 18:19:51 -0500, Boron Elgar
I'm several loaves ahead with both my favs breads right now. I'm
thinking I will start on the Milwaukee Rye next. What kind of rye do
you do?
Janet US

Boron Elgar

Jan 29, 2018, 7:08:54 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:40:19 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
Jewish rye, of course, ahem. I like it shiny and crusty on the outside
and chewy on the inside. Lots of caraway.

Boron Elgar

Jan 29, 2018, 7:11:52 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:37:01 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
They usually allow 10 articles a month for free. Huh. I dropped my
sub and cannot get back in today. Weird thing - I could have copied it
when I initially got the link, and thought it was less clutter just to
link it. So sorry.

Boron Elgar

Jan 29, 2018, 7:15:31 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:37:01 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
This one is similar, you can get into it easily, and the accompanying
article is as interesting as the recipe.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/nov/29/how-make-perfect-chicken-liver-pate

U.S. Janet B.

Jan 29, 2018, 7:29:22 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 19:15:27 -0500, Boron Elgar
thank you for taking the trouble to find that for me. I have copied
the recipe. However, the ginger made my head rear back in disbelief!
;-)
Janet US

Boron Elgar

Jan 29, 2018, 7:50:05 PM1/29/18
On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:29:16 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
That is what chef's choice is all about.

Caída de la casa

Jan 29, 2018, 7:53:11 PM1/29/18
On 1/29/2018 3:21 PM, l not -l wrote:
> Not so much a sauce; but, "dip". Bbq mutton is what I grew up
> eating as a child in western Kentucky; if you said you were going
> to have bbq, it was understood that it would be mutton.

Maybe the only other state besides AZ and NM where mutton is widely
consumed.

Damn it's good done right.

> The
> mutton is mopped with a thin, vinegary "dip" throughout the
> cookging process and served with extra dip, either mixed into
> chopped mutton on on-the-side for sliced. When I have a
> chopped/chipped mutton sandwich, enough dip is added to assure
> the meat is very moist, but not dripping wet. Too wet and the
> bread will get soggy and fall apart, just right and the bread
> will have just a "kiss" of the dip on the inside, but not bleed
> through. One of the two recipes I used follows. I alternate
> between two recipes because they come close to the dips used by
> two of my favorite (bygone) bbg places.
>
> My sister still lives in western KY and I have her smuggle bbq
> mutton into Missouri for me a couple of times per year. (Please
> do not tell the St. Louis bbq police, it may be illegal to eat
> mutton instead of pork steaks and dip is a radical departure from
> St. Louis' favorite sweet and thick sauce, Maull's)

LOL!

=
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Mutton Barbecue Sauce
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 4 cups water
> 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
> 1/3 cup vinegar
> 1 tablespoon black pepper
> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
> 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
> 1/2 tablespoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon allspice
> 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
> 1/4 teaspoon garlic
>
> Mix all ingredients together in a large saucepan over a low heat.
> Simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve on the table as a dipping
> sauce. You can also use this sauce as a baste on smoked lamb.

> "This isn't like most barbecue sauces you have tried. This is
> the traditional barbecue sauce of Western Kentucky Mutton
> Barbecue."

That's a very Carolina style sauce, and it looks like a winner.

I wonder if Raichlen has covered that in any of his books.

I feel a lamb shoulder asking to be smoked and mopped soon!

TNX

Caída de la casa

Jan 29, 2018, 8:05:09 PM1/29/18
On 1/29/2018 5:12 PM, l not -l wrote:
> Thank you "Sach", it's always fun to get a 1950s Bowery Boys view
> on foodways.

Lol, the inimitable Huntz Hall!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntz_Hall#/media/File:Huntzhall.jpg

But if Sheldon is Sach, who's Slip Mahoney....Sqwerty perhaps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Gorcey#/media/File:Leo_Gorcey_in_Gallant_Sons_trailer.jpg

Cheri

Jan 30, 2018, 1:30:10 AM1/30/18

> On 29-Jan-2018, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message

>> > +1
>> > I only make egg salad in an amount I expect to use
>> > immediately.
>> >
>> > I do not care for tuna and salmon salad, so have no idea what
>> > they do. I do greatly enjoy shrimp salad and find it weepy
>> > no
>> > matter what is added, therefore only make small quantities
>> > for
>> > immediate use.
>>
>> I do like tuna salad, but not really salmon salad. I don't
>> believe I've ever
>> had shrimp salad that was akin to egg salad, I usually put
>> shrimp in a green
>> salad, but I bet it would be good.
>>
>> Cheri
> Back when such things were the norm, I first encountered shrimp
> salad in the restaurant of one of our major department stores
> (Stix, Baer and Fuller, later merged with Dillards). They had an
> outstanding shrimp salad sandwich on toasted cheese bread. The
> shrimp salad was pretty straightforward to duplicate; but, I have
> never quite been able to make an equal to their cheese bread.
>
> I can only thing of one department store in the area today that
> has a restaurant. Then again, I rarely shop department stores
> these days and may not be a reliable source of their current
> amenities.
>
> --
> Change cujo to juno to make a valid email address.

The shrimp salad sandwich sounds really good. I haven't been in department
stores for a very long time either, I believe the last one was Dillard's in
Stockton, but I never looked for a restaurant so I don't know if they do.

Cheri

Cheri

Cheri

Jan 30, 2018, 1:30:10 AM1/30/18
> Thank you "Sach", it's always fun to get a 1950s Bowery Boys view
> on foodways.

I am LMAO at that.

Cheri

Gary

Jan 30, 2018, 6:43:16 AM1/30/18
Cheri wrote:

> I do like tuna salad, but not really salmon salad. I don't believe I've ever
> had shrimp salad that was akin to egg salad, I usually put shrimp in a green
> salad, but I bet it would be good.

Occasionally, I'll save a few shrimp to make a sandwich the next
day. Just chop up a bit (not too small), add some mayo and put on
soft white bread. It's a pretty good sandwich.

Nancy2

Jan 30, 2018, 8:16:06 AM1/30/18
Egg salad on rye toast is exquisitely tasty. ;-))

N.

Cheri

Jan 30, 2018, 9:02:54 AM1/30/18
"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5A705A1D...@att.net...
I'll have to try that one of these first days.

Cheri

Gary

Jan 30, 2018, 9:23:29 AM1/30/18
Nancy2 wrote:

> Egg salad on rye toast is exquisitely tasty. ;-))

You've convinced me. I just now put 3 eggs in water to hard boil.
I will try on the rye! :)

Gary

Jan 30, 2018, 9:23:34 AM1/30/18
Cheri wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Occasionally, I'll save a few shrimp to make a sandwich the next
> > day. Just chop up a bit (not too small), add some mayo and put on
> > soft white bread. It's a pretty good sandwich.
>
> I'll have to try that one of these first days.

My biggest problem is to stop eating shrimp in order to save some
for the sandwich. It is really good though.

Cheri

Jan 30, 2018, 9:54:57 AM1/30/18
"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5A707FB0...@att.net...
I got a bag of large frozen shrimp last week (no ocean near me) because I
want to make won ton wrapped shrimp for Super Bowl, so I will have to try
it.

Cheri

Caída de la casa

Jan 30, 2018, 11:08:38 AM1/30/18
That sounds like a real treat!

http://www.alyssaandcarla.com/2014/01/22/fried-wonton-wrapped-shrimp/

Anything like that version?

Cheri

Jan 30, 2018, 12:18:31 PM1/30/18
"Caída de la casa" <ho...@cra.sh> wrote in message
It's really that recipe, minus the cilantro. I haven't made it before, but
it sounds really good.

Cheri

Caída de la casa

Jan 30, 2018, 12:34:32 PM1/30/18
Awesome, that should be a perfect SB snack!

Wings tend to be messier to eat.

I think another great way to do a shrimp appetizer is with phyllo dough.

http://www.greekrecipes.tv/304/shrimp-wrapped-in-kataifi-phyllo

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/phyllo-shrimp-with-dipping-sauces

Give those a gander too...

Cheri

Jan 30, 2018, 1:41:09 PM1/30/18
"Caída de la casa" <ho...@cra.sh> wrote in message
I'm sure they would be VERY good as well. :)

Cheri

Caída de la casa

Jan 30, 2018, 2:09:33 PM1/30/18
The one drawback on Phyllo is the crumbs!

;-)

Cheri

Jan 30, 2018, 3:13:08 PM1/30/18
"Caída de la casa" <ho...@cra.sh> wrote in message
Plus, it's a bit more time consuming than won ton. :)

Cheri

Caída de la casa

Jan 30, 2018, 3:16:13 PM1/30/18
That it is!

Gary

Jan 31, 2018, 7:46:13 AM1/31/18
"itsjoan...@webtv.net" wrote:

> Have you tried egg salad on split open English muffins that have
> been LIGHTLY buttered and lightly toasted yet?

No, but I will try it next time I buy some English muffins. I do
like the "Thomas" ones and will sometimes buy a pack or two when
they go on sale. It's been over a year since I've had one though.

I like plain toasted and buttered and also sometimes spread some
grape jam on the other half. I also like toasted and buttered
raisin English muffins.

One other favorite use (for muffins) is to spread a crab and
cheese mix on them and broil to browned.

I will try the egg salad next time. Thanks for the idea.

Nancy2

Jan 31, 2018, 10:35:01 AM1/31/18
If you eat a lot of eggs, a 7- or 8-egg electric cooker is my very favorite small
appliance. It will make soft- or hard-boiled or poached eggs without any
errors, and the eggs can be laid today and still peel with ease, if they are
hard-cooked. Try it.

N.

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 11:23:18 AM1/31/18
Alternately - sous vide!

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 12:28:04 PM1/31/18

"Caída de la casa" wrote in message news:p4sqhh$1bus$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
==

Hey! I have never done eggs sous vide!

Temps and times?

penm...@aol.com

Jan 31, 2018, 2:30:47 PM1/31/18
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 17:26:29 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphiEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Do you really want to wait 72 hours for boiled eggs... before they're
done cooking they're liable to hatch! LOL

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 2:58:54 PM1/31/18
Yes indeed, and this is a bit of a treatise on sous vide eggs, so please
bookmark:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

I cooked eggs in a sous-vide cooker to various temperatures ranging
from 130°F (54.4°C) to 165°F (73.9°C)*. In each case, I heated large
eggs for exactly 40 minutes—enough time for the egg to reach thermal
equilibrium (that is, it is the same temperature as the water bath all
the way through to the center), but not so long that the effects of
prolonged cooking will have started to take effect. (We'll discuss those
effects more later on.)

165°F (73.9°C)

20131004-sous-vide-101-egg-chorizo-corn-crouton-temperature-02.jpg

If hard-boiled is how you like your eggs, then a 165°F sous-vide egg
should do you well. This is the ideal temperature for an egg salad that
has distinct chunks of tender, non-rubbery egg.

Loose white: Opaque and firm, but still tender.
Tight white: Opaque and firm, but still tender.
Yolk: Completely firm but still moist and not at all powdery. It
crumbles easily along fault lines.

And if you like your eggs even more well done than that, then I can only
surmise that you are either a) my wife or b) somebody with equally
strange taste.

Timing Matters!

So we've looked at temperatures, and for a long time I believed that
with eggs, that was the only thing that really mattered. That is, until
I had a chat with César Vega, an expert in the science of dairy
products. His assertion was that since many of these gelling reactions
take place relatively slowly, simply bringing an egg up to equilibrium
temperature will not actually take it to its maximum thickness.

So I cooked eggs at each of these temperatures for times ranging from 45
minutes to 2 hours. The testing showed that indeed timing does matter,
though the most noticeable effects are with the egg yolks. For instance,
an egg cooked at 145°F for 45 minutes will have a barely set white and a
completely liquid yolk. Take that up to 2 hours and the whites will
still be just about the same, but the yolk will have thickened to the
point where it holds its shape as well as, say, a washed up jelly-fish.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 31, 2018, 3:08:36 PM1/31/18
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 6:46:13 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> "itsjoan...@webtv.net" wrote:
> >
> > Have you tried egg salad on split open English muffins that have
> > been LIGHTLY buttered and lightly toasted yet?
>
> No, but I will try it next time I buy some English muffins. I do
> like the "Thomas" ones and will sometimes buy a pack or two when
> they go on sale. It's been over a year since I've had one though.
>
> I like plain toasted and buttered and also sometimes spread some
> grape jam on the other half. I also like toasted and buttered
> raisin English muffins.

They're also good for making your own homemade version of a
McDonald's egg McMuffin, too. McDonald's uses a small well
fried egg and I resort to a scrambled egg.

> One other favorite use (for muffins) is to spread a crab and
> cheese mix on them and broil to browned.

A split open, buttered, and lightly toasted English muffin is
good with an over easy egg plopped on top as well.

> I will try the egg salad next time. Thanks for the idea.

I think you'll like it.

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 3:12:09 PM1/31/18
45 minutes to 90, tops.

Please catch a clue.

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 3:28:46 PM1/31/18

"Caída de la casa" wrote in message news:p4t75o$3k6$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
==

Copied! Thanks, I will try it out:))

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 3:39:49 PM1/31/18
You're most welcome.

Sorry for such a long essay on it, but there are so many ways to cook
eggs from soft to hard.

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 4:01:40 PM1/31/18

"Caída de la casa" wrote in message news:p4t9ig$8cn$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
==

I appreciate every word!! :)) I copied it all:)

Michael OConnor

Feb 1, 2018, 2:21:44 AM2/1/18
Hardboiled eggs, Duke's Mayo, a dash of Zatarain's Creole or a grainy Mustard, a dash of Texas Pete's hot sauce, dash of horseradish (just enough so you can barely taste it), maybe 1/32 teaspoon per sandwich, maybe less), a little diced onion and maybe one jalapeno slice out of the jar diced up per sandwich (the onion and jalapeno are in lieu of relish, as I don't like pickles), salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 1, 2018, 4:28:42 PM2/1/18
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 1:21:44 AM UTC-6, Michael OConnor wrote:

> Hardboiled eggs, Duke's Mayo, a dash of Zatarain's Creole or a grainy Mustard, a dash of Texas Pete's hot sauce, dash of horseradish (just enough so you can barely taste it), maybe 1/32 teaspoon per sandwich, maybe less), a little diced onion and maybe one jalapeno slice out of the jar diced up per sandwich (the onion and jalapeno are in lieu of relish, as I don't like pickles), salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning.

Your recipe sounds more like a spicy dip.

penm...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2018, 5:11:27 PM2/1/18
I make egg salad often, mostly all I add to chopped eggs is Hellman's
sandwich spread... I'll add fresh minced curly leaf parsley and
dillweed if I have it.

Nancy2

Feb 1, 2018, 8:11:20 PM2/1/18

Personally, I think it's silly to run an appliance for 40 min. to 2 hours for hard-boiled eggs. My little
Oster egg cooker does 1 to 8 hard-cooked eggs perfectly in approx. 10 minutes. It has a built-in
water measure level for hard, poached or soft-cooked eggs, and they peel perfectly no matter how
fresh they are...just laid, or laid six weeks ago. I got my first cooker as a wedding present in 1962
(had never seen one before) and it still works without trouble. It has had pretty heavy use.
But, you pays yer money and you takes yer choice, as they say. This device, easily stored in a
cupboard, is my choice.

N.

Caída de la casa

Feb 1, 2018, 10:21:09 PM2/1/18
Well no worries there, but it's OK to do double duty on a sous vide too.

penm...@aol.com

Feb 2, 2018, 12:26:44 PM2/2/18
Why do I need an appliance to boil eggs?!?!?

penm...@aol.com

Feb 2, 2018, 12:33:39 PM2/2/18
On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 20:21:06 -0700, Caída de la casa <ho...@cra.sh>
wrote:

>On 2/1/2018 6:11 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I think it's silly to run an appliance for 40 min. to 2 hours for hard-boiled eggs. My little
>> Oster egg cooker does 1 to 8 hard-cooked eggs perfectly in approx. 10 minutes. It has a built-in
>> water measure level for hard, poached or soft-cooked eggs, and they peel perfectly no matter how
>> fresh they are...just laid, or laid six weeks ago. I got my first cooker as a wedding present in 1962
>> (had never seen one before) and it still works without trouble. It has had pretty heavy use.
>> But, you pays yer money and you takes yer choice, as they say. This device, easily stored in a
>> cupboard, is my choice.
>
>Well no worries there, but it's OK to do double duty on a sous vide too.

A sous vide sounds like something yoose Euro girls use to freshen
their nookie... essentially a basin, lemon water, and a bottle brush.
LOL

Nancy2

Feb 2, 2018, 3:19:21 PM2/2/18
Well, I think you must use SOME appliance...microwave, stove-top, or whatever, unless
you can boil water with your thoughts. Well, I guess a campfire would work, or maybe a
grill.....
Anyway, my little cooker was a gift, and I love it.

N.

penm...@aol.com

Feb 2, 2018, 3:25:05 PM2/2/18
On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 12:47:42 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 14:30:49 -0500, penm...@aol.com wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 17:26:29 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphiEl...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>Alternately - sous vide!
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Hey! I have never done eggs sous vide!
>>>
>>>Temps and times?
>>
>> Do you really want to wait 72 hours for boiled eggs... before they're
>> done cooking they're liable to hatch! LOL
>
>Sous vide hard/soft boiled eggs are a waste of 40-50 minutes and
>impossible to peel. Boiling water cooks eggs perfectly in 7-13
>minutes.
>
>OTOH, tomorrow will be sous vide butter poached Argentine red shrimp.
>30-45 minutes at 137F. With a pound of butter garlic, maybe white
>wine, maybe capers, and finished with parsley.

I boil eggs in a deep fry basket that fits a 4 quart pot, holds an
entire dozen with room to spare. The basket prevents the eggs from
banging the pot so prevents cracked shells, and when done cooking the
basket makes it easy to plunge all the eggs into ice water, peeling is
easy peasy. We're not big fans of egg salad but we both enjoy sliced
egg sandwiches, or sliced eggs in garden salads. Neither of us care
for soft boiled eggs, we'd much rather runny fried eggs. The deep fry
basket makes it easy to cook and quickly drain all sorts of veggies,
even larger pasta.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 2, 2018, 3:54:57 PM2/2/18
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 3:19:21 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> Well, I think you must use SOME appliance...microwave, stove-top, or whatever, unless
> you can boil water with your thoughts.

I usually just glare hatefully at the eggs until they cook themselves
in their shells.

Cindy Hamilton
It is loading more messages.