Thursday's Heart Healthy meal

Dave Smith

Aug 28, 2020, 9:06:43 PM8/28/20
Thai beef salad rolls. Cut thin slices of couple fast fry strip loin
steaks. Put it in a bowl with some chopped cilantro, a pinch of dried
chili flakes and heat up a pan with a small amount of canola oil and fry
it until it is still pink and set it aside.

Julienne some carrot and cucumber. Finely chop spinach. Add 2 Tbsp. lime
juice and stir it together. Put some warm water in a nice wide bowl and
wet rice paper wraps until they are limp then set then on a dry towel.
Put 1/4 of the salad on each paper, then the meat, sprinkle with some
chopped mint or cilantro. Fold up the end and then toll them.

Pretty darned good.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 28, 2020, 10:56:01 PM8/28/20
I like everything but that cilantro.

Dave Smith

Aug 28, 2020, 11:09:43 PM8/28/20
You can use mint instead of cilantro.

Jeßus

Aug 29, 2020, 3:16:02 AM8/29/20
Sounds nice, but why is it heart healthy?

dsi1

Aug 29, 2020, 4:23:23 AM8/29/20
I made some cashew chicken - Thai style. Is it heart healthy? It might be. Is it Thai? Beats me. For Thai style cashew chicken, I'd add stuff like fish sauce, chili sauce, sesame oil and oyster sauce but this had none of that. OTOH, it turned out fine. It has a nice clean and bright taste that's probably more suitable for Hawaiians and mainlanders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez52HHaL0uc

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 29, 2020, 6:36:37 AM8/29/20
You can use mint _and_ cilantro if you have both.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Aug 29, 2020, 10:34:40 AM8/29/20
Sure. The recipe was poorly written and I should have studied it more.
The ingredients list included cilantro or mint. I had the cilantro out
but when I read the procedure it said to use some of the mint in the
beef and add the rest just before rolling them up. As a result, I was
fixated on mint. They would have been better with cilantro... or both.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 29, 2020, 1:23:00 PM8/29/20
Cilantro tastes like soap to me and I detest mint in any form,
especially tooth paste. I'd have used parsley, curly leaf prefered.
I'd like to know what's "toll them".

Sheldon Martin

Aug 29, 2020, 1:49:47 PM8/29/20
Mint _and_ cilantro belongs in my compost bin... parsley would work as
well and not turn my stomach. I like cucumbers and carrots but their
textures don't go well together, carrots are hard and dry, cukes are
tender and juicy, I'd likely use shredded cabbage, we have tons. And
rather than spinach I'd use Swiss chard, only because we have enough
to run the baler. With all the rain the past three days some of our
heirloom tomatoes (ox heart) have grown to over 2 pounds and split,
but still edible.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 29, 2020, 2:39:39 PM8/29/20
On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 1:49:47 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 03:36:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 9:06:43 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> Thai beef salad rolls. Cut thin slices of couple fast fry strip loin
> >> steaks. Put it in a bowl with some chopped cilantro, a pinch of dried
> >> chili flakes and heat up a pan with a small amount of canola oil and fry
> >> it until it is still pink and set it aside.
> >>
> >> Julienne some carrot and cucumber. Finely chop spinach. Add 2 Tbsp. lime
> >> juice and stir it together. Put some warm water in a nice wide bowl and
> >> wet rice paper wraps until they are limp then set then on a dry towel.
> >> Put 1/4 of the salad on each paper, then the meat, sprinkle with some
> >> chopped mint or cilantro. Fold up the end and then toll them.
> >>
> >> Pretty darned good.
> >
> >You can use mint _and_ cilantro if you have both.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton
> Mint _and_ cilantro belongs in my compost bin... parsley would work as
> well and not turn my stomach.

Luckily, I wasn't recommending it to _you_. Your preferences are irrelevant.

Cindy Hamilton

cshenk

Aug 29, 2020, 4:52:50 PM8/29/20
I think I might try Oregano there. Not a huge amount, but some.

cshenk

Aug 29, 2020, 4:57:09 PM8/29/20
It's low sodium, uses a heart healthy oil, and low cholestrol.

cshenk

Aug 29, 2020, 5:07:01 PM8/29/20
Well, this one isn't very heart healthy, sorry to say. It's not high
in bad cholestrol but it's quite high in sodium from watching the video.

Jeßus

Aug 29, 2020, 5:14:41 PM8/29/20
All good, except for the dietary cholesterol being supposedly 'bad'
bit.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 29, 2020, 5:53:50 PM8/29/20
On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:39:34 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Aug 29, 2020, 7:27:34 PM8/29/20
Aren't you the least bit intuitive? The clue is the "wet rice paper
wraps". Roll them up - like spring rolls.

Jill

cshenk

Aug 29, 2020, 8:26:10 PM8/29/20
You need fats and these are all 'good fats'. Cholestrol is a unique
issue and if already overweight, can be problematic if added to the
diet in meat fat forms.

Bruce

Aug 29, 2020, 8:29:50 PM8/29/20
The issue isn't cholesterol in meat, but saturated fat in meat or
elsewhere. Saturated fat makes the body produce bad cholesterol.

Hank Rogers

Aug 29, 2020, 9:16:48 PM8/29/20
Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 19:26:01 -0500, "cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Jeßus wrote:

>>> All good, except for the dietary cholesterol being supposedly 'bad'
>>> bit.
>>
>> You need fats and these are all 'good fats'. Cholestrol is a unique
>> issue and if already overweight, can be problematic if added to the
>> diet in meat fat forms.
>
> The issue isn't cholesterol in meat, but saturated fat in meat or
> elsewhere. Saturated fat makes the body produce bad cholesterol.

That's why americans prefer tortured dead animals druce. It lowers
the fat, thus the icky bad cholesterol.

bruce bowser

Aug 29, 2020, 11:46:25 PM8/29/20
I always thought that mint went with dessert.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 30, 2020, 6:41:09 AM8/30/20
Only in Europe, where unimaginative flavoring reigns supreme. This is a Thai dish.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Aug 30, 2020, 6:50:37 AM8/30/20
bruce bowser wrote:

> I always thought that mint went with dessert.

Some seem to like that mint sauce with lamb.
Doesn't sound good to me but I'll try it someday
before I condemn it.

Personally, mint is for chewing gum and toothpaste only.

Bruce

Aug 30, 2020, 7:14:44 AM8/30/20
As if you'd know :)

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 30, 2020, 7:15:53 AM8/30/20
That's your privilege. I like mint in tabouli (just a touch), fattoush,
summer rolls, yogurt, Turkish lentil soup, etc.

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Aug 30, 2020, 7:15:59 AM8/30/20
On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 06:50:32 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>bruce bowser wrote:
>>
>> I always thought that mint went with dessert.
>
>Some seem to like that mint sauce with lamb.

It's an Anglo thing. It's why the French say that the English
slaughter their lambs twice. Once when they kill them and once when
they cook them.

Janet

Aug 30, 2020, 9:40:27 AM8/30/20
In article <5F4B8478...@att.net>, g.ma...@att.net says...

> bruce bowser wrote:
> >
> > I always thought that mint went with dessert.

That's because you're a culinary ignoramus.

https://www.thekitchn.com/10-recipes-that-use-fresh-mint-kitchn-recipe-
roundup-188533

> Some seem to like that mint sauce with lamb.
> Doesn't sound good to me but I'll try it someday
> before I condemn it.
>
> Personally, mint is for chewing gum and toothpaste only.

Gum and toothpaste use artificial peppermint flavouring.

Their taste bears absolutely zero resemblance to mint sauce made with
fresh spearmint leaves.

Janet UK

graham

Aug 30, 2020, 10:11:46 AM8/30/20
But then, there are different mint varieties, spearmint being one.

Janet

Aug 30, 2020, 10:37:11 AM8/30/20
In article <rigc2t$ui0$2...@dont-email.me>, g.st...@shaw.ca says...
I grow several mint varieties. Some for ornament some for cooking.

For mint sauce, I prefer fresh spearmint (Mentha spicata) or applemint
(Mentha suaveolens).

Janet UK

graham

Aug 30, 2020, 10:53:27 AM8/30/20
On 2020-08-30 8:37 a.m., Janet wrote:

>>> Their taste bears absolutely zero resemblance to mint sauce made with
>>> fresh spearmint leaves.
>>>

>>> Janet UK
>>>

>> But then, there are different mint varieties, spearmint being one.
>
> I grow several mint varieties. Some for ornament some for cooking.
>
> For mint sauce, I prefer fresh spearmint (Mentha spicata) or applemint
> (Mentha suaveolens).
>
> Janet UK

I once had a delightful fruit salad as dessert in a restaurant in Paris
that I have been able to replicate.
Make a light sugar syrup, heating it with a bunch of spearmint leaves
and allow it to cool.
Pour the syrup over a dish of fresh summer soft fruits and serve.

Janet

Aug 30, 2020, 11:21:57 AM8/30/20
In article <rigeh4$kll$1...@dont-email.me>, g.st...@shaw.ca says...
I'll have to try that now, thanks.

Janet UK

Jeßus

Aug 30, 2020, 3:00:11 PM8/30/20
On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 03:41:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
Thais use mint sometimes.

Jeßus

Aug 30, 2020, 3:19:13 PM8/30/20
For those people, they should be more concerned with empty, high GI
carbohydrates if they're concerned about cholesterol. But yes,
everything in moderation, including fats. Mixing fats and carbs
together exacerbates the problem.

Dave Smith

Aug 30, 2020, 6:51:47 PM8/30/20
It is commonly used in Middle Eastern food

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 31, 2020, 5:43:55 AM8/31/20
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 9:06:43 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> Thai beef salad rolls. Cut thin slices of couple fast fry strip loin
> steaks. Put it in a bowl with some chopped cilantro, a pinch of dried
> chili flakes and heat up a pan with a small amount of canola oil and fry
> it until it is still pink and set it aside.
>
> Julienne some carrot and cucumber. Finely chop spinach. Add 2 Tbsp. lime
> juice and stir it together. Put some warm water in a nice wide bowl and
> wet rice paper wraps until they are limp then set then on a dry towel.
> Put 1/4 of the salad on each paper, then the meat, sprinkle with some
> chopped mint or cilantro. Fold up the end and then toll them.
>
> Pretty darned good.

I totally forgot to say:

It _does_ sound good. Just my sort of dish.

Cindy Hamilton

Jeßus

Aug 31, 2020, 2:37:58 PM8/31/20
On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 18:52:40 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
Yes, and now I'm craving something with mint and yoghurt, thanks to
this thread. Something like a Lebanese dip would be nice.