How tastes change

Bryan-TGWWW

Oct 25, 2014, 8:32:11 PM10/25/14
20 years ago, there is no way I'd have happily eaten blue cheese. I was of the
mindset, "When the cheese gets blue or green on it, it's time to throw it away."

Now, I'm eating this stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shropshire_Blue

Strangest damned cheese I've ever tasted, but it is at the same time, appealing.

--Bryan

Jeßus

Oct 25, 2014, 9:01:10 PM10/25/14
I love blue cheeses, and most other real (not processed) cheeses for
that matter. The only one that has truly defeated me was gorgonzola...
just too strong, even for me.

sf

Oct 25, 2014, 11:31:37 PM10/25/14
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:32:07 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
<bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

My straight up favorite blue to eat on a piece of bread or with fruit
is still Cambozola.

Message has been deleted

John Kuthe

Oct 26, 2014, 8:32:14 AM10/26/14
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:32:07 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
<bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

So I guess now it's also OK for everyone else in the Universe to eat
Blue Cheese! I've always loved blue cheese, and I can remember having
a conversation with you years ago about it, and you were ridiculously
opposed to anyone eating blue cheese!

But I now know that's just a common symptom of your mental disorder.
That tendency to set your preference as the standard for everyone
else.

John Kuthe...

---

sf

Oct 26, 2014, 9:58:49 AM10/26/14
On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 07:32:10 -0500, John Kuthe <John...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> But I now know that's just a common symptom of your mental disorder.
> That tendency to set your preference as the standard for everyone
> else.
>
> John Kuthe...

Everybody "gets" that, John. RFC is filled with people who do that,
so he's unusual only with the amount of vulgarity that accompanies a
rant.

John Kuthe

Oct 26, 2014, 11:23:50 AM10/26/14
On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 06:58:42 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 07:32:10 -0500, John Kuthe <John...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> But I now know that's just a common symptom of your mental disorder.
>> That tendency to set your preference as the standard for everyone
>> else.
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>
>Everybody "gets" that, John. RFC is filled with people who do that,
>so he's unusual only with the amount of vulgarity that accompanies a
>rant.

I've known Bryan for a long time and he's always been a champion of
this "My way is how everyone should be" egocentricity. It always
triggered my BS detector, although I sometimes fell victim to
believing it. Particularly about food and other comestibles. I finally
came to realize this is in large part due to the fact that I think
Bryan is a hypertester, meaning he's got a particularly sensitive
sense of smell and taste.

Steve Clingerman

Oct 26, 2014, 3:44:00 PM10/26/14
Ilove this stuff. My son says it smells like ass. Maybe, but I like it
anyway...

Bryan-TGWWW

Oct 27, 2014, 8:31:49 AM10/27/14
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:32:14 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 17:32:07 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
> <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >20 years ago, there is no way I'd have happily eaten blue cheese. I was of the
> >mindset, "When the cheese gets blue or green on it, it's time to throw it away."
> >
> >Now, I'm eating this stuff:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shropshire_Blue
> >
> >Strangest damned cheese I've ever tasted, but it is at the same time, appealing.
> >
> >--Bryan
>
> So I guess now it's also OK for everyone else in the Universe to eat
> Blue Cheese! I've always loved blue cheese, and I can remember having
> a conversation with you years ago about it, and you were ridiculously
> opposed to anyone eating blue cheese!
>
> But I now know that's just a common symptom of your mental disorder.
> That tendency to set your preference as the standard for everyone
> else.

Is this medical diagnosis courtesy of John the medical professional? or
just John the pathetic gelding whose sex life was ruined by a "selfish
bitch" who wouldn't allow him to stick things in her rectum?

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Bryan-TGWWW

Oct 27, 2014, 8:34:57 AM10/27/14
If John Kuthe thought it smelled like ass, he'd want to bugger it.

--Bryan

Bryan-TGWWW

Oct 27, 2014, 8:49:57 AM10/27/14
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 10:23:50 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 06:58:42 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 07:32:10 -0500, John Kuthe <John...@gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> But I now know that's just a common symptom of your mental disorder.
> >> That tendency to set your preference as the standard for everyone
> >> else.
> >>
> >> John Kuthe...
> >
> >Everybody "gets" that, John. RFC is filled with people who do that,
> >so he's unusual only with the amount of vulgarity that accompanies a
> >rant.
>
> I've known Bryan for a long time and he's always been a champion of
> this "My way is how everyone should be" egocentricity. It always
> triggered my BS detector, although I sometimes fell victim to
> believing it.

Oh, start the violins for the "victim." Tell everyone again how you were
a victim of an ungrateful, "selfish bitch," whom you started dating when
she was practically a child, and spent years grooming for your sexual use,
then she rejected your desires to fuck her in the ass, and it so
traumatized you that you've never again been able to have a relationship
with a woman.

> Particularly about food and other comestibles. I finally
> came to realize this is in large part due to the fact that I think
> Bryan is a hypertester, meaning he's got a particularly sensitive
> sense of smell and taste.

Gee, I'm a "hypertester" (whatever the fuck that is). I Googled it, and
there is an herbal supplement called "Hypertest" that claims to boost
testosterone levels. Who knows though? It might work to enhance your
masturbation regimen.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

John Kuthe

Oct 27, 2014, 10:15:14 AM10/27/14
Hypertaster, I mistyped. To scents too. Similar things.

John Kuthe

Oct 27, 2014, 1:57:34 PM10/27/14
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 05:31:46 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
You are as ignorant as you are haughty and full of yourself.

Incorrect as well.

Bryan-TGWWW

Oct 27, 2014, 7:08:46 PM10/27/14
She was so naive, and you gave her LSD. Oh, I was there too, and in fact, I
was the one who acquired the acid Heck, I didn't care that you were fucking
a 14 YO. Heck, a year later, I was shacking up with jailbait myself, though
she was 16, not particularly naive, and we'd been friends for several years
before. You found a lonely 14 YO, turned her on to hallucinogens and our sex,
and drugs, and Rock'n Roll subculture; glampunk, Bowie and such, which I can't
condemn, since minus the drugs and the makeup (at my age, I'd look like shit in
drag), I'm almost as glampunk now as I was then.

Thing is, I moved on, you know, got married and have had an *adult* relationship,
whereas you never recovered from having your anal fantasies crushed. Dude, you've sloppily posted so much to Usenet that it's hard for you to plausibly deny
any of this. Heck, I have posted about my sexual past too. It's all there to
read, and you got sloppy again, with that "selfish bitch" comment about Sue.

See, John, I don't need to write "incorrect" stuff. I'm just giving a bit of
perspective to your own words. You followed me here, then you turned on me, became my enemy, fuck knows why, and while I never start conflicts with you on
r.f.c, you keep antagonizing me. You are the one with the poorly treated
mental disorder; it is self-destructive for you to prompt me to retaliate, which
I do out of principle more than for catharsis, and I care little if folks here
think that I'm narcissistic, and the opinion of a sexually dysfunctional former
friend turned enemy carries little weight anyway.

People here who can stomach reading my revelations about you are likely to
conclude that you went into nursing hoping that you'd get to somehow interact
with the poopoo holes of young girls. It was your last hope for getting to do
so. How sad for you that they won't let you do that; no rectal temperatures,
and no enemas, no ER nursing where you might get to examine a victim of rape,
and fantasize that it was your penis that caused her anal lacerations.

I feel for you, John. If that little "bitch" had only allowed you to properly
stretch out her orifice with a succession of increasingly larger buttplugs...

Lube up your hand, John. You know you want to.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Kalmia

Oct 27, 2014, 8:18:13 PM10/27/14
It took me a few tries to like Gjetost, Camembert and also Limburger, but I enjoy these fairly often. Fave tho is still Gruyere.

John Kuthe

Oct 27, 2014, 10:18:35 PM10/27/14
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:08:42 -0700 (PDT), Bryan-TGWWW
Whatever you say Bryan. You'rer quite the fiction writer, I see!

Gary

Oct 31, 2014, 5:44:59 PM10/31/14
Kalmia wrote:

> It took me a few tries to like Gjetost, Camembert and also Limburger,

Serious question for you. You say it took you a few tries to like
these cheeses. WTH? Why would you keep on trying them if you didn't
like the taste in the first place? I would have quit on the first try
and moved on to others. Was this some "challenge" for you or
something? :-o

As for limburger - I smelled a plastic-wrapped package of that in the
store once. Oh dear lord. Anyone that eats that would also love a
fermented dog turd.

G.

Jeßus

Oct 31, 2014, 5:53:44 PM10/31/14
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:46:04 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> It took me a few tries to like Gjetost, Camembert and also Limburger,
>
>Serious question for you. You say it took you a few tries to like
>these cheeses. WTH? Why would you keep on trying them if you didn't
>like the taste in the first place? I would have quit on the first try
>and moved on to others. Was this some "challenge" for you or
>something? :-o

Sounds a little Bovian in attitude, IMO.

I never liked olives or oysters when I was young. I do now though, but
only because I would try them again occasionally.

Dave Smith

Oct 31, 2014, 5:58:01 PM10/31/14
On 2014-10-31 6:46 PM, Gary wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> It took me a few tries to like Gjetost, Camembert and also Limburger,
>
> Serious question for you. You say it took you a few tries to like
> these cheeses. WTH? Why would you keep on trying them if you didn't
> like the taste in the first place? I would have quit on the first try
> and moved on to others. Was this some "challenge" for you or
> something? :-o

Sometimes you get cheese and you eat it because it is there. You don't
want to throw it out and you don't want to waste it. I never used to
like blue cheese, but now I love it. It is one of my favourites.

> As for limburger - I smelled a plastic-wrapped package of that in the
> store once. Oh dear lord. Anyone that eats that would also love a
> fermented dog turd.

I don't know what Kalmia's problem is with Camembert. I never disliked
it, or it's first cousin, Brie, but the more I had of it the more I
liked it. Sheep milk cheese is another. I found it kind of funky
tasting, but then I started to appreciate it. When I get feta these days
I always look for the sheep milk version of it.

Limburger OTOH.... I don't understand that stuff. I don't think I can
ever forget my first taste of that. I was visiting with a friend and we
were munching away on a cheese basket one of his patients had sent him.
He handed me a piece of cheese on the end of a knife and told me to try
it, that it was really good. I popped it into my mouth, and then noticed
that he had a strange look on his face. I asked him what was the matter.
As soon as I spoke I realized what the problem was. I could smell the
cheese on my breath. Fermented dog turd would be an apt description. It
was horrible.

meda...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2014, 5:59:18 PM10/31/14
Serious question for YOU, scooter. What the fuck are you doing in this group? I'm pretty sure you're not such a retard that you don't know what you already like. What is there for a half-wit like you to learn here? Eat a bullet.

Dave Smith

Oct 31, 2014, 6:07:08 PM10/31/14
On 2014-10-31 5:53 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>> Serious question for you. You say it took you a few tries to like
>> these cheeses. WTH? Why would you keep on trying them if you didn't
>> like the taste in the first place? I would have quit on the first try
>> and moved on to others. Was this some "challenge" for you or
>> something? :-o
>
> Sounds a little Bovian in attitude, IMO.
>
> I never liked olives or oysters when I was young. I do now though, but
> only because I would try them again occasionally.

My first over indulgence in alcohol was on gin. I was about 16. It was
an unpleasant experience. Over the years I had a lot of beer and wine,
but never gin. Then one very hot humid day a friend made me a gin and
tonic with a slice of lime. Wow. I was hooked.

I was never interested in olives until one day, also a hot humid day,
and braced with something that gave me a case of the munchies, I had an
olive. It wasn't just any olive. It was from a local deli's olive bar,
and they used to through in ends bits of cold cuts, hot peppers etc. I
have been hooked on olives since. I always get them from an olive bar,
not from a jar or can.

Fresh oysters were not an option for me when I was younger, but the
first time I tried them I liked them. I find them to be like a tonic. I
was introduced to smoked oysters when I was in my early 20s and liked
them. I had so many of them I got sick of them and did not have them for
a long time. A couple years ago I bought a can and had some, and they
were delicious again.

graham

Oct 31, 2014, 6:27:40 PM10/31/14
On 31/10/2014 4:46 PM, Gary wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> It took me a few tries to like Gjetost, Camembert and also Limburger,
>
> Serious question for you. You say it took you a few tries to like
> these cheeses. WTH? Why would you keep on trying them if you didn't
> like the taste in the first place?

Well I love cheese but haven't developed a taste for blue. I
occasionally try some as other cheese lovers usually sing its praises
but the taste just reminds me why I don't like it:-)
Graham

Ophelia

Nov 1, 2014, 9:35:16 AM11/1/14

"graham" <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
Over the years my tastes have changed. I used to love it but not now.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Jeßus

Nov 1, 2014, 7:29:04 PM11/1/14
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:07:05 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2014-10-31 5:53 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>
>>> Serious question for you. You say it took you a few tries to like
>>> these cheeses. WTH? Why would you keep on trying them if you didn't
>>> like the taste in the first place? I would have quit on the first try
>>> and moved on to others. Was this some "challenge" for you or
>>> something? :-o
>>
>> Sounds a little Bovian in attitude, IMO.
>>
>> I never liked olives or oysters when I was young. I do now though, but
>> only because I would try them again occasionally.
>>

>My first over indulgence in alcohol was on gin. I was about 16. It was
>an unpleasant experience. Over the years I had a lot of beer and wine,
>but never gin. Then one very hot humid day a friend made me a gin and
>tonic with a slice of lime. Wow. I was hooked.

The same thing happened to me in 1993, a guy put me onto G&T's
and it was love at first taste. That became my drink for many years,
at least whilst I lived in the tropics it was.

>I was never interested in olives until one day, also a hot humid day,
>and braced with something that gave me a case of the munchies, I had an
>olive. It wasn't just any olive. It was from a local deli's olive bar,
>and they used to through in ends bits of cold cuts, hot peppers etc. I
>have been hooked on olives since. I always get them from an olive bar,
>not from a jar or can.

I love stuffed olives.

>Fresh oysters were not an option for me when I was younger, but the
>first time I tried them I liked them. I find them to be like a tonic. I
>was introduced to smoked oysters when I was in my early 20s and liked
>them. I had so many of them I got sick of them and did not have them for
>a long time. A couple years ago I bought a can and had some, and they
>were delicious again.

I can at least eat oysters now. I still don't exactly *love* them
enough to go out of my way for them, but I can eat them raw okay. I
really prefer oysters Kilpatrick, or similar. They are quite cheap
here so a bunch of us will occasionally get together and have a big
feed of oysters.
Message has been deleted

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 1, 2014, 8:38:41 PM11/1/14
On 11/1/2014 7:40 PM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>> My first over indulgence in alcohol was on gin. I was about 16. It was
>>> an unpleasant experience. Over the years I had a lot of beer and wine,
>>> but never gin. Then one very hot humid day a friend made me a gin and
>>> tonic with a slice of lime. Wow. I was hooked.
>>
>> The same thing happened to me in 1993, a guy put me onto G&T's
>> and it was love at first taste. That became my drink for many years,
>> at least whilst I lived in the tropics it was.

> Did you know gin can have a depressing effect on some people? I used
> to drink it at naval parties, 3d for a pink gin, 1/6d for rum and
> coke, and could never understand why I felt like crying after a couple
> of hours, not really my sort of behaviour. One of the doctors told
> me about the depressive effect and I guess it is true. I will
> occasionally have a gin and it, but only one :)

Never heard that. Google search says it is a myth but there are always
exceptions.
http://www.bittersandtwisted.com/content/10-things-you-should-know-about-gin
GIN DOES NOT MAKE YOU DEPRESSED
There’s a common myth that drinking too much Gin will make you
depressed. Let’s be clear on this, the key word in that sentence is that
it’s a myth. Of course drinking too much Gin won’t make you feel great
the following morning, and as we all know drinking can affect your mood
at the time of imbibing. The truth though is that Gin doesn’t really
have any different ability to change your mood than any other spirit.

The myth is almost certainly based on the period of time when society in
the UK drank far too much Gin, to the point where it started having a
negative impact on daily life. During the late 1700s and early 1800s Gin
was responsible for neglect in families, crime increases and general
debauchery on a huge scale, so it’s no surprise that that it was blamed
for almost any negative aspect of the human condition

There is always two bottles of gin on my bar.

My standby is Bombay Sapphire. The other is rotated on my whim while at
the liquor store. Martin Miller right now, Hendricks is frequent,
Bluecoat is good, etc.

I usually have two bourbons and for my wife, two Scotch.

Jeßus

Nov 1, 2014, 9:51:59 PM11/1/14
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 20:40:06 -0300, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>I love Kilpatrick, I think raw oysters are over-rated and unless you
>have seen them pulled from the water these days, chancy.
>
>Did you know gin can have a depressing effect on some people? I used
>to drink it at naval parties, 3d for a pink gin, 1/6d for rum and
>coke, and could never understand why I felt like crying after a couple
>of hours, not really my sort of behaviour. One of the doctors told
>me about the depressive effect and I guess it is true.

I have heard about that before, luckily no such problems for me.

>I will occasionally have a gin and it, but only one :)

Make sure you don't listen to Leonard Cohen at the same time then :P

Jeßus

Nov 1, 2014, 9:57:09 PM11/1/14
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 20:38:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>Never heard that. Google search says it is a myth but there are always
>exceptions.
>http://www.bittersandtwisted.com/content/10-things-you-should-know-about-gin
>GIN DOES NOT MAKE YOU DEPRESSED
>There’s a common myth that drinking too much Gin will make you
>depressed. Let’s be clear on this, the key word in that sentence is that
>it’s a myth. Of course drinking too much Gin won’t make you feel great
>the following morning, and as we all know drinking can affect your mood
>at the time of imbibing. The truth though is that Gin doesn’t really
>have any different ability to change your mood than any other spirit.

I'm not so sure about that. I knew at least one guy was perfectly nice
sober, and perfectly nice drunk... unless he was drinking rum. Then he
turned into a complete asshole, and when we would tell him the next
day what he was like the night before, he would never believe us.

I've known of a couple of others like that too where a specific
alcoholic drink altered their mood for the worse.

Mark Thorson

Nov 1, 2014, 10:07:23 PM11/1/14
Kalmia wrote:

> It took me a few tries to like Gjetost, Camembert and
> also Limburger, but I enjoy these fairly often. Fave
> tho is still Gruyere.

Loved Camembert and Limburger from the first try, but
Gjetost is awful. The former are creamy goodness,
but the latter has no redeeming qualities. It is the
Marmite of cheeses.

graham

Nov 1, 2014, 11:22:56 PM11/1/14
I remember my sister having a few sips of champagne at a family
celebration when she was a teen and shortly afterwards bursting into
tears. As a result, she has been a life-long teetotaler, a great asset
to my b-i-l when they dine out.
Graham

jmcquown

Nov 2, 2014, 4:47:10 AM11/2/14
I can't speak to the depression allegations, but I know someone like you
describe. He's nice as pie if he has a few glasses of wine or beer;
he's okay with rum or whisky, too. But if he drinks gin he turns into a
complete jerk. (He also never believes it.) It's as if gin flips some
odd switch and his personality does a 180° turn.

Jill
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

jmcquown

Nov 2, 2014, 6:22:25 AM11/2/14
On 11/2/2014 5:31 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> I like Bombay Sapphire best with some it and lots of ice. Rest of the
> time I drink red wine. It wasn't the effect of too much of anything
> even back then, always been a moderate drinker. BTW I have met other
> people with the same reaction.

I like red wine but the tannins irritate my digestive system. I stick
with white wine. I never did care much for hard liquor.

Jill

Ophelia

Nov 2, 2014, 11:23:52 AM11/2/14

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message
> On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 10:28:52 +1100, Jeßus <no...@all.org> wrote:
>
> I love Kilpatrick, I think raw oysters are over-rated and unless you
> have seen them pulled from the water these days, chancy.
>
> Did you know gin can have a depressing effect on some people? I used
> to drink it at naval parties, 3d for a pink gin, 1/6d for rum and
> coke, and could never understand why I felt like crying after a couple
> of hours, not really my sort of behaviour. One of the doctors told
> me about the depressive effect and I guess it is true. I will
> occasionally have a gin and it, but only one :)

G&T is my tipple of choice:)) I can't say it has ever made me depressed.
Of course, perhaps if I drank too much I might not feel very happy, but I
tend not to:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Jeßus

Nov 2, 2014, 3:03:17 PM11/2/14
On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 04:47:06 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
It's a strange phenomenon, or at least appears that way.
Alcohol is alcohol... or ethanol is ethanol, to be more accurate.

So that only leaves the flavours and additives, such as that from oak
barrels or in the case or gin, juniper berries. Or molasses/sugar for
rum. And/or some interaction with the ethanol itself.

Any additives or flavours certainly increase the likelihood of a
hangover compared to drinking straight (but watered down!) ethanol.
I know that from personal experience...

Jeßus

Nov 2, 2014, 3:04:52 PM11/2/14
On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 06:34:51 -0400, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>Also had a friend who in the last couple of years of his life seemed
>to become allergic to booze. Not an alcoholic but he enjoyed a drink
>or two at a party, the doc told him to try Schnapps and he could
>manage that, evidently it has probably the least additives.

Yes indeed, I alluded to that in my last reply to Jill. The less
flavours and additives the better it seems when it comes to minimising
mood changes, or hangovers, for that matter.

Jeßus

Nov 2, 2014, 3:06:25 PM11/2/14
Very handy as a permanent designated driver... but probably a
liability at long-running parties :)