Tex Mex

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 1:28:11 AM7/24/16
I keep seeing that term bandied about in here and people keep accusing me of
eating it. But in looking up the term, there does not seem to be any one
answer. Chevy's Fresh Mex claims to be Tex Mex. We had one here years ago.
It didn't last very long. We tried it a few times and didn't like the food.
There was also one in Alameda. My husband did like it but Angela and I did
not. Have also read that Taco Bell is Tex Mex. Only thing they have that I
like are the bean burritos but I can't eat them due to all of the weird
added ingredients. Those are easy enough to make at home.

Some sources say that Tex Mex is Americanized dishes smothered in cheese.

My uncle told me that sour cream is never used in Mexico. I think he was
wrong about that as they have Crema which is very similar.

Janet Wilder used to say that if you weren't eating it if you weren't in
Texas.

Many of the Mexican restaurants here have sort of a fusion of foods from
both Mexico and South America. And certainly Americanized dishes such as
various salads.

So... What is your interpretation of Tex Mex?

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 2:57:16 AM7/24/16

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 22:28:02 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I keep seeing that term bandied about in here and people keep accusing me
>> of
>> eating it. But in looking up the term, there does not seem to be any one
>> answer.
>
> Tex Mex is halfway between Taco Bell and Interior Mexican food.
> Practically every casual Mexican-style restaurant in the U.S. serves
> it. It includes a lot of queso, but usually on the side for dipping
> chips. It's the same thing as Cal Mex but without the Mission-style
> burritos.
>
> It doesn't matter, Julie. It's just a term. There is no definition.

It matters to me since people here keep saying that I eat it.

I don't know too many places here that serve a cheese sauce for dipping. La
Palmera does but I could swear that it's just Velveeta. We don't go there
often. When we do it is less for the food and more for the attractions. They
sometimes have fortune tellers, balloon sculptors and lots and lots of
tricks, at least at the Everett location. They have joke like things such as
a bottle that appears to squirt ketchup on you or a fake spilled margarita.
You can request these things to be done to someone at your table or you can
just be surprised as they seem to do these things at random. I think the
last time we were there was about a year ago for Angela's birthday. It was
my nephew's ex girlfriend's favorite restaurant. I don't think I've ever
gotten bad food there but it's not my favorite place. Location is good for
all of us though as it is located pretty much between were everyone lives.

Sky

Jul 24, 2016, 5:42:48 AM7/24/16
It seems bove cannot grasp the term or understand the concept that
"Tex-Mex" has many different connotations for many different peoples --
IOW, there are many definitions. Does bove desire a 'sole' and
'singular' definition when "Tex-Mex" is used to described a genre of
foods? If so, then bove limits, as usual, her dining experiences to the
finite Bubble of Bothell where a singular definition of culinary
niche(s) is the rule. What a shame and isn't that so sad - oh well. Or
should one use the "Church Lady" voice and think, "Isn't that special!?" !!

Sky

================================
Kitchen Rule #1 - Use the timer!
Kitchen Rule #2 - Cook's choice!
================================

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 6:39:18 PM7/24/16

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 23:57:07 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
>>
>>> It doesn't matter, Julie. It's just a term. There is no definition.
>>
>> It matters to me since people here keep saying that I eat it.
>
> Why care what anybody says about what you eat - especially if it's
> Sheldon? He's the only one that throws around that word here and even
> he doesn't know WTF it is - he thinks it's some sort of insult. Eat
> what you like - who gives a crap what it's called.

I don't care. I just can't see why they keep calling my food Tex Mex.
Apparently the crisp tacos are. And the chili but I don't get that at all.
Mexican places here don't serve chili and the places who do serve chili do
not usually serve Texas style chili. Some places do Chili Colorado which
seems always to be made with pork. Not loving meat, I've never tried it. But
here's a recipe for it with beef, claiming it to be authentic Mexican.

> http://davidsfreerecipes.com/chili-colorado

>> I don't know too many places here that serve a cheese sauce for dipping.
>
> I'm sure there are plenty.

Why would you be sure of that?

> https://foursquare.com/top-places/seattle/best-places-queso
>
> (Please, you do not need to list 500 reasons why you don't/can't
> patronize these places)

There is only one. They are in Seattle. I don't live in Seattle and wouldn't
drive there for food. Prices are higher for one thing. I'll post the link to
the Taqueria we like. It does not list the prices for the University Village
location. Why? Higher prices.

http://www.elantojo.com/

No queso dip there!

> Around here Queso is made from Land 'o Lakes "Extra Melt". It's a
> much higher quality Velveeta and only available to foodservice
> customers. I'm going to Restaurant Depot this week and make a run for
> a bunch of people who want some.
>
> http://www.landolakesfoodservice.com/product/extra-melt-american-cheese-white-foodservice/?aid=Foodservice
>
> Foodservice products are often much better quality than anything you
> can get at a grocery store. They purposely dumb things down for
> regular retail.

Could be. I've only seen that brand here at Dollar Tree and not recently.

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 7:14:37 PM7/24/16

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 15:39:10 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

>>> Why care what anybody says about what you eat - especially if it's
>>> Sheldon? He's the only one that throws around that word here and even
>>> he doesn't know WTF it is - he thinks it's some sort of insult. Eat
>>> what you like - who gives a crap what it's called.
>>
>> I don't care.
>
> Apparently you DO care.

No. I want to know what these people mean when they say Tex Mex food. Have
you ever heard anyone say that they were going out for Tex Mex food? I
haven't. But I have had friends in Texas who told me that they liked Mexican
food but hated Tex Mex.

>>> I'm sure there are plenty.
>>
>> Why would you be sure of that?
>
> Because I looked it up. and posted a relavent link. Duh. because
> your observations cannot be relied upon.

No. You posted a link for Seattle. I don't live or dine there.

>>> https://foursquare.com/top-places/seattle/best-places-queso
>>>
>>> (Please, you do not need to list 500 reasons why you don't/can't
>>> patronize these places)
>>
>> There is only one. They are in Seattle. I don't live in Seattle and
>> wouldn't
>> drive there for food.
>
> I'm sorry. I guess you were referring to the only 2 Mexican
> restaurants where YOU eat on Planet Bove <yawn>.

I eat at more than two. But in general, just the one as that is where we
take my mom to eat. It's about the closest to her place. There is a really
good Taqueria near there but it's not a dine in place.

g more to see or say here!

> -sw

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 9:28:18 PM7/24/16

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 16:14:29 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Because I looked it up. and posted a relavent link. Duh. because
>>> your observations cannot be relied upon.
>>
>> No. You posted a link for Seattle. I don't live or dine there.
>
> <sigh> Yeah - I forgot about that imaginary line just 5 miles away
> from Planet Bove where night turns into day, wine turns into water,
> and the menus of restaurants change from English into Vogon poetry.
>
> Do you realize that Seattle is only 5 land miles from the exact center
> of Planet Bove? So don't play all dumb and act like Seattle is some
> sort of different universe for you, ferchristsakes.
>
> Please, no pathetic response necessary.

Now that's a lie. 5 miles from my house? No. It takes me close to an hour,
sometimes an hour to get to my friend's house in Shoreline. 10 minutes from
her house to Bitter Lake which is about as North in Seattle as you can get.
Much longer to get to the downtown area, especially at meal time. I do know.
My husband works in that area.

But that's all a moot point. We do have restaurants here. Why would I drive
somewhere for higher prices and only street parking? I wouldn't.

sf

Jul 24, 2016, 9:31:03 PM7/24/16

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/8-essential-tex-mex-dishes.html

--

sf

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 9:53:45 PM7/24/16

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 18:28:10 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

>>> <sigh> Yeah - I forgot about that imaginary line just 5 miles away
>>> from Planet Bove where night turns into day, wine turns into water,
>>> and the menus of restaurants change from English into Vogon poetry.
>>>
>>> Do you realize that Seattle is only 5 land miles from the exact center
>>> of Planet Bove? So don't play all dumb and act like Seattle is some
>>> sort of different universe for you, ferchristsakes.
>>>
>>> Please, no pathetic response necessary.
>>
>> Now that's a lie. 5 miles from my house? No.
>
> Yes. 5 land miles. Another half a mile if you count the bay. 5.5
> miles total. How much do you expect us to believe the cuisine changes
> in that 5.5 miles?

The bay? What bay is this? There is no way in hell that Seattle is 5 miles
from my house. Bothell High school is more than 5 miles from my house. And
that's still in BOTHELL!

> What do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes?
>
> Nothing. You already told her twice.
>
> -sw

Maybe you should hook up with Jebus and Ross Perot. Sheesh.

Julie Bove

Jul 24, 2016, 10:07:59 PM7/24/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Interesting. Only place I ever ate puffy tacos was at the Yucatan restaurant
which sadly is no longer there. I usually got the panuchos when I was there.
That's the only place I know of that made them and they were super good.

I do eat a lot of refried beans at times but lately I've been eating other
things. The owner of the Mexican place where we normally eat is from Oaxaca.
Apparently this cuisine is the type we are fond of. When I mentioned to him
that our favorite former place was Pio Pios, he said that Ramone (the owner)
was his uncle. Also from Oaxaca. He did open a new place but somewhere south
in the state. Can't remember where but no place we would have a need to go
to. Anyway... He told me that they do eat refried beans in Mexico but that
whole beans are more common as fat in any form is expensive and Mexico is a
poor country. Black beans are more popular than pinto in Oaxaca. My favorite
thing that he serves is the black bean soup.

I can't say that I really eat any of those other things. I have had cheese
enchiladas. I have had nachos. And fajitas but I am not fond of those.

Thanks.

barbie gee

Jul 24, 2016, 11:50:04 PM7/24/16
I had to look up "panucho", which is unknown here in Chicago. Kinda like
what we call a tostada, or maybe a sope, but this thread on reddit says
it's like a "salbute";
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/2c3n6k/whats_the_difference_between_a_panucho_salbutes/

Panuchos apparently come from the Yucatan, while Oaxaca is in a different
area of Mexico altogether. So, not sure if you go to a Oaxacan place that
serves these Yucatecan panuchos, or if they're more widespread and popular
in the Pacific Northwest than we see up in the Midwest.

Nachos and Fajitas are considered to be Tex Mex dishes, not
purely authentic Mexican, as well.

For what it's worth, "Nachos" here at Mexican restaurants are tortilla
chips, spread with refried beans and chihuahua cheese, broiled or heated
til the cheese melts, and then accompanied by sides of sourcream,
guacamole, and some shredded lettuce and tomato. You then can top with
one of their house salsas, or with the fresh
tomato/onion/jalapeno/cilantro salsa.
"Nachos" at movie theaters and ballparks are tortilla chips and a cup of
"nacho cheese" dipping sauce. A completely different beast than Mexican
style nachos.

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 12:19:09 AM7/25/16

"barbie gee" <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote in message
The panuchos that I got were more like a gordita.

They put lettuce on the nachos on Cape Cod which I thought was weird. Here,
they vary. Might be just plain melted cheese, usually cheddar. Could have
various meats, onion, tomato, olives, beans, sour cream and gauc. The ones
with the cheese dip are not available in most restaurants. They're more of a
snack bar items.

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 2:41:50 AM7/25/16

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 18:53:36 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

>>> Yes. 5 land miles. Another half a mile if you count the bay. 5.5
>>> miles total. How much do you expect us to believe the cuisine changes
>>> in that 5.5 miles?
>>
>> The bay? What bay is this?
>
> Excuse me, Lake Washington. Happy now? I thought that was all
> seawater there.
>
>> There is no way in hell that Seattle is 5 miles
>> from my house.
>
> It's called a MAP, Julie. Seattle extends halfway into Lake
> Washington due east of 145th Street. Here is the measurement from
> that point to your house using the Google Maps measuring tool.
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=znagbb&s=9
>
> Now you should apologize and shut the fuck up. Or are you going to
> start yet another stupid argument and make ridiculous excuses? My
> money is on options B and C.

I have no clue what you are talking about. I live in Bothell. Not Seattle.
And there is Elliot Bay and Lake Washington. Neither are in Bothell.

http://www.distance-cities.com/distance-seattle-wa-to-bothell-wa

http://www.travelmath.com/drive-distance/from/Bothell,+WA/to/Seattle,+WA

So I have no clue what you are talking about. And yes, I do know where 145th
is. You'll find this place there. Used to be one of my haunts, many years
ago. They had a great happy hour with tons of free food. No queso sauce but
I see that the menu is now under construction so, you never know.

http://lasmargaritasrest.com/

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 2:43:59 AM7/25/16

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 00:15:26 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 18:53:36 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

>>> The bay? What bay is this?
>>
>> Excuse me, Lake Washington. Happy now? I thought that was all
>> seawater there.
>>
>>> There is no way in hell that Seattle is 5 miles
>>> from my house.
>>
>> It's called a MAP, Julie. Seattle extends halfway into Lake
>> Washington due east of 145th Street. Here is the measurement from
>> that point to your house using the Google Maps measuring tool.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=znagbb&s=9
>>
>> Now you should apologize and shut the fuck up. Or are you going to
>> start yet another stupid argument and make ridiculous excuses? My
>> money is on options B and C.
>
> Excuse me, that's 7.5 miles. About 6 LAND miles. I was looking at
> the 5 mile marker on the line thinking that was total miles.
>
> But in the context of the original discussion (which has now been
> obscured by a bunch of Julie's blathering) does the extra 2 miles make
> a difference? Not at all.

I still have no clue what *you* are blathering on about. Seattle is roughly
22 miles from where I live. My address is Bothell but I am closer to Mill
Creek. So...

col...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2016, 11:49:28 AM7/25/16
I'll make tacos a week from tomorrow using savealot shells, taco bell salsa, kraft singles cheese and mccormicks taco seasoning; the shells may come from mexico.

tert in seattle

Jul 25, 2016, 1:20:06 PM7/25/16
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 23:57:07 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
>>
>>> It doesn't matter, Julie. It's just a term. There is no definition.
>>
>> It matters to me since people here keep saying that I eat it.
>
> Why care what anybody says about what you eat - especially if it's
> Sheldon?

why indeed

why do you make comments about what others eat?

notbob

Jul 25, 2016, 1:25:25 PM7/25/16
On 2016-07-25, tert in seattle <te...@ftupet.com> wrote:

> why do you make comments about what others eat?

Why do you partonize an obvious troll?

tert in seattle

Jul 25, 2016, 1:30:06 PM7/25/16
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 00:15:26 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 18:53:36 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> "Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message

>>> The bay? What bay is this?
>>
>> Excuse me, Lake Washington. Happy now? I thought that was all
>> seawater there.
>>
>>> There is no way in hell that Seattle is 5 miles
>>> from my house.
>>
>> It's called a MAP, Julie. Seattle extends halfway into Lake
>> Washington due east of 145th Street. Here is the measurement from
>> that point to your house using the Google Maps measuring tool.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=znagbb&s=9
>>
>> Now you should apologize and shut the fuck up. Or are you going to
>> start yet another stupid argument and make ridiculous excuses? My
>> money is on options B and C.
>
> Excuse me, that's 7.5 miles. About 6 LAND miles. I was looking at
> the 5 mile marker on the line thinking that was total miles.
>
> But in the context of the original discussion (which has now been
> obscured by a bunch of Julie's blathering) does the extra 2 miles make
> a difference? Not at all.
>
> -sw

I worked with someone in the 90s who, despite living in Chicago, had
never been downtown -- "too dangerous"

tert in seattle

Jul 25, 2016, 1:40:04 PM7/25/16
an amphibious Dolly Parton is a pretty amusing image

sf

Jul 25, 2016, 2:00:03 PM7/25/16
He expects you to take a route "as the crow flies" to eat at a
mysterious Mexican restaurant located underwater in Seattle.

--

sf

dsi1

Jul 25, 2016, 2:08:31 PM7/25/16
My brother ate there. It cost $1295 for a Mexican plate. That's because it is underwater in Seattle. Whatever you do, don't eat at a restaurant under Lake Washington - check the Yelp reviews first.

The Greatest!

Jul 25, 2016, 2:11:32 PM7/25/16
Former *chi denizen Tushar mentioned on FB the other day that he encountered a guy in a cafe who asked the server, "What is hummus?" Guy ended up ordering a steak sammich. After the guy left, others were mocking him for not knowing what hummus was. Tush commented re: the mockers, "Some people live in a snark bubble"...

--
Best
Greg

The Greatest!

Jul 25, 2016, 2:14:01 PM7/25/16
AS they used to say re: Jayne Mansfield: "She'd never drown..."

--
Best
Greg

dsi1

Jul 25, 2016, 2:16:37 PM7/25/16
Snark is trending. That's how it all goes down in this new age of social media and connectivity. People these days ain't got no... wait a minute... did you just say "sammich???"

Dave Smith

Jul 25, 2016, 3:28:00 PM7/25/16
On 2016-07-25 1:22 PM, tert in seattle wrote:

> I worked with someone in the 90s who, despite living in Chicago, had
> never been downtown -- "too dangerous"

My wife and son went to Chicago last year for a family funeral. She
wanted to go and see the neighbourhood where her father had lived as a
child.... in Englewood. My son flatly refused to go there. The weekend
they were in Chicago there were more than 40 shootings. I was trying to
find some numbers so I googled "weekend shootings Chicago" and saw that
one weekend last month there were 8 people killed and at least 50 wounded.

rosie

Jul 25, 2016, 4:05:34 PM7/25/16
On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 12:28:11 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I keep seeing that term bandied about in here and people keep accusing me of
> eating it. But in looking up the term, there does not seem to be any one
> answer. Chevy's Fresh Mex claims to be Tex Mex. We had one here years ago.
> It didn't last very long. We tried it a few times and didn't like the food.
> There was also one in Alameda. My husband did like it but Angela and I did
> not. Have also read that Taco Bell is Tex Mex. Only thing they have that I
> like are the bean burritos but I can't eat them due to all of the weird
> added ingredients. Those are easy enough to make at home.
>

> I cannot tell you exactly what Tex Mex is, but I can tell you a lot of things you will find in it. Tacos, lots of tacos, Chilie with meat. ( Con Carne ) salsa and Chips, and lots of cheese dip, tamales and enchiladas. These are some common elements, Now if you eat New Mexico Mexican food, it is primarily serv4ed with either red or green chili, when you order, they will ask RED or Green? Big decision..
I usually order both, but you cannot order say green all the time because it is the hottest, sometimes t is red and sometimes green.
> My uncle told me that sour cream is never used in Mexico. I think he was
> wrong about that as they have Crema which is very similar.Back to Tex Mex, thry rarely serve Sopapias, but in NM they often serve them.

My advice is to serve and eat what you like. No doubt this will attract some who will disagree with my thought. Thats ok.

Sorry this has not been a lot of help.
Rosei

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 4:40:04 PM7/25/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Nope. Not doing that. Any place I have to access by submarine is a no go.
Even though I'm sure that my husband could arrange it for me.

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 4:41:38 PM7/25/16

"l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message
> I made tacos on Friday; using Ortega's yellow taco shells, Aldi's Casa
> Mamita medium salsa, Hautly Hot Pepper Cheese (shredded) and shredded
> taco
> beef. I gave up on packaged taco seasoning long ago, due to the
> excessive
> sodium content; I make my own for use in ground beef tacos. However, this
> time, I seasoned the meat in a whole different way. I browned a pound of
> boneless short ribs and put them in my small slow cooker with a little
> Better Than Bouillon base and water. I tore up two ancho chiles and pan
> toasted them, diced and added a chipotle pepper (not in adobo), smashed
> garlic cloves and diced white onion; all went into the slow cooker with a
> little ground cumin. 6 hours later I shredded the meat, let it cook
> another
> hour or so; then, used the shredded beef in the tacos. Since I was
> "winging
> it", I may have added another spice or two that I now do not recall.

I don't use taco seasoning either. I might use chili powder or I might not.
Sometimes I want just plain beef.

axlq

Jul 25, 2016, 4:44:29 PM7/25/16
In article <nn1jl8$kuj$1...@dont-email.me>,
Julie Bove <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>I keep seeing that term bandied about in here and people keep
>accusing me of eating it. But in looking up the term, there does
>not seem to be any one answer.
>Some sources say that Tex Mex is Americanized dishes smothered in
>cheese.

Pretty close.

>My uncle told me that sour cream is never used in Mexico. I think
>he was wrong about that as they have Crema which is very similar.

There isn't really any one answer, but my view as a former
Texan.... Tex Mex is Mexican food "adjusted" for American
expectations. That includes the addition of cheese and sour cream
into dishes that normally don't have them.

Having lived for many years in Texas, and having visited Mexico
a number of times, for me the main difference is cheese. I'm
particularly sensitive to dairy (I don't eat cheese at all), and
was pleasantly surprised that the Mexican food in Mexico rarely, if
ever, includes cheese.

>Janet Wilder used to say that if you weren't eating it if you weren't in
>Texas.

Semantically correct, but not realistically true.

-A

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 4:45:59 PM7/25/16

"tert in seattle" <te...@ftupet.com> wrote in message
I have a lawyer friend who lives in Chicago. He is such a cheapskate that he
has never eaten Chicago style pizza and has no clue what it is. Said the
only pizza he has ever had is from Old Country Buffet. He eats a late
breakfast, then gets there at 3:00 p.m. so he is able to get the senior
lunch price. Then he sits there sipping a some beverage until dinner time.
And then eats.

He once told me he would try out one of the Rick Bayless restaurants there
and report back to me. I knew that he wouldn't, given the menu prices. And
he hasn't.

dsi1

Jul 25, 2016, 5:04:16 PM7/25/16
My buddy from Texas sent me a Tex-Mex cheese enchilada recipe that was popular at his family's diner for decades. The cheese used was Velveeta. Shocking, simply shocking! :)

tert in seattle

Jul 25, 2016, 5:30:03 PM7/25/16
Sqwertz wrote:
> Uh, probably because they posted about it? It would be kinda a boring
> group if nobody commented.
>
> So what's your point?
>
> -sw

And why do you think they posted about it?

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 5:49:15 PM7/25/16

"axlq" <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote in message
Thanks!

Julie Bove

Jul 25, 2016, 5:49:47 PM7/25/16

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 23:41:39 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I have no clue what you are talking about.
>
> No shit, eh?
>
> You live 7 miles from Seattle. Everybody can see that. Now shut the
> fuck up.

No. You are very wrong on that.

tert in seattle

Jul 25, 2016, 6:50:04 PM7/25/16
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 21:25:38 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Uh, probably because they posted about it? It would be kinda a boring
>>> group if nobody commented.
>>>
>>> So what's your point?
>>
>> And why do you think they posted about it?
>
> I don't know Eliza, why do you think I think they posted about it?
>
> The point was the SHeldon is the one here always bashing Tex-Mex and
> people shouldn't give a shit what Sheldon thinks about what you eat.
> But I guess that concept has somehow short-circuited your last two
> brain cells.

well you should have said that, instead of "why care what anybody says
about what you eat", mister wile e coyote super genius (just ask me) !

barbie gee

Jul 25, 2016, 8:20:04 PM7/25/16
the only way to see that house in Englewood is using the Street View
feature in Google Maps.

that assumes it's still standing.

barbie gee

Jul 25, 2016, 8:30:04 PM7/25/16

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016, Sqwertz wrote:
> You're as dense and dumb as Jerry Sauk.
>
> ANyway, th fact remains that there are plenty of places within a 20
> miles radius of you that serve queso, as I have proven. So you cannot
> say that they don't serve queso where you live. You can only speak
> for what they serve on Planet Bove.
>
> And you still live about 7 miles from Seattle, regardless of what you
> think. I'm sorry you just can't seem to wrap your little head around
> that. And the cuisine does not change in those 7 miles one it reaches
> the border of Planet Bove.

I can't believe I had to look at the map, but I did.
Even using the straight line method of calculating, it's over 7 miles. And
if she's on the far end of her town, driving is way more than 20 miles.

<https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Seattle,+WA/Bothell,+WA/>

Dave Smith

Jul 25, 2016, 9:16:52 PM7/25/16
Apparently it was a nice neighbourhood when he lived there..... in the
early 1900s. He had moved to Kenosha before enlisting for service in WWI
and his parents later moved to Winnetka.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 12:38:14 AM7/26/16

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:49:40 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> You're as dense and dumb as Jerry Sauk.
>
> ANyway, th fact remains that there are plenty of places within a 20
> miles radius of you that serve queso, as I have proven. So you cannot
> say that they don't serve queso where you live. You can only speak
> for what they serve on Planet Bove.
>
> And you still live about 7 miles from Seattle, regardless of what you
> think. I'm sorry you just can't seem to wrap your little head around
> that. And the cuisine does not change in those 7 miles one it reaches
> the border of Planet Bove.

I didn't say that they didn't serve it. In fact, I said that La Palmera did
serve it. But the places we normally go to, do not serve it.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 12:38:59 AM7/26/16

"barbie gee" <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote in message
I am on the far end of town. Like I said, I am very close to Mill Creek.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 12:44:58 AM7/26/16

> It's just over 7 miles (as in, less than 8) as the crow flies from her
> house. I posted the exact map. For the purposes of the conversation,
> even another 10 miles wouldn't make a difference. We are talking
> about what they serve "in her area". That means anything within, say,
> a 25 mile radius of her epicenter.
>
> How far she has to DRIVE to get there doesn't make one bit of
> difference when referring to the AREA in which she lives. She lives
> closer to Seattle than half the people in Seattle live to the center
> of downtown Seattle, ferchristsakes.

You are just flat out wrong on that. And I have NO need to go to Seattle to
eat. Like I said... Prices are higher in Seattle and most places have no
parking.

Now when I did live in Seattle, I went to Las Margaritas when I could. They
have a small parking lot and if I got there early enough, I might get a
parking spot. Go at dinner time, and you may well get no parking.

> I think everybody is getting tired of her petty semantics over where
> she says she lives. When she claims that they don't have this or that
> or they do or don't do this or that "where she lives", apparently
> she's speaking of some fictional place ("Planet Bove") that is a mere
> 5 square feet in space and not on any known maps.

And yet... I didn't say there was no queso. I did say that they do have it
at La Palmera.

> She lives about 7 miles from Seattle. And it's quite acceptable to
> point out that she lives in the Seattle area regardless of where she
> claims she lives or where she does or doesn't go.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Any time we have to go to Seattle such as the downtown
area, we allow two hours. Because it can take that long to get there. It's
over 20 miles. My husband is trying to get a job closer to home because he's
sick of the commute.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 12:45:47 AM7/26/16

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 21:25:38 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Uh, probably because they posted about it? It would be kinda a boring
>>> group if nobody commented.
>>>
>>> So what's your point?
>>
>> And why do you think they posted about it?
>
> I don't know Eliza, why do you think I think they posted about it?
>
> The point was the SHeldon is the one here always bashing Tex-Mex and
> people shouldn't give a shit what Sheldon thinks about what you eat.
> But I guess that concept has somehow short-circuited your last two
> brain cells.
>
> Now, run along and go deface some tinypic tags like a good little brat
> (ObFood).

It's not just him. Jill and Doris seem not to like it either.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 12:47:03 AM7/26/16

"tert in seattle" <te...@ftupet.com> wrote in message
Help! Please tell him that Bothell is more than 7 miles from Seattle!

Ophelia

Jul 26, 2016, 5:57:57 AM7/26/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Oh you will hear all about that now:)))) If they liked it ... so what.
They are not forcing anyone else to eat it!!

(Ooh I really have my dander up today. I think I had better go and do some
cooking and calm down. I have some nice dough in the fridge awaiting
attention ...)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Brooklyn1

Jul 26, 2016, 9:58:31 AM7/26/16
Sqwertz wrote:
>barbie gee wrote:
>>Sqwertz wrote:

>>> You're as dense and dumb as Jerry Sauk.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the fact remains that there are plenty of places within a 20
>>> miles radius of you that serve queso, as I have proven. So you cannot
>>> say that they don't serve queso where you live. You can only speak
>>> for what they serve on Planet Bove.
>>>
>>> And you still live about 7 miles from Seattle, regardless of what you
>>> think. I'm sorry you just can't seem to wrap your little head around
>>> that. And the cuisine does not change in those 7 miles one it reaches
>>> the border of Planet Bove.
>>
>> I can't believe I had to look at the map, but I did.
>> Even using the straight line method of calculating, it's over 7 miles. And
>> if she's on the far end of her town, driving is way more than 20 miles.
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Seattle,+WA/Bothell,+WA/>
>
>It's just over 7 miles (as in, less than 8) as the crow flies from her
>house. I posted the exact map. For the purposes of the conversation,
>even another 10 miles wouldn't make a difference. We are talking
>about what they serve "in her area". That means anything within, say,
>a 25 mile radius of her epicenter.
>
>How far she has to DRIVE to get there doesn't make one bit of
>difference when referring to the AREA in which she lives. She lives
>closer to Seattle than half the people in Seattle live to the center
>of downtown Seattle, ferchristsakes.
>
>I think everybody is getting tired of her petty semantics over where
>she says she lives. When she claims that they don't have this or that
>or they do or don't do this or that "where she lives", apparently
>she's speaking of some fictional place ("Planet Bove") that is a mere
>5 square feet in space and not on any known maps.
>
>She lives about 7 miles from Seattle. And it's quite acceptable to
>point out that she lives in the Seattle area regardless of where she
>claims she lives or where she does or doesn't go.
>
>-sw

Bothel is actually IN Seatle.
"Bothell is a city located in King and Snohomish Counties in the State
of Washington. _It is part of the Seattle metropolitan area._"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bothell,_Washington
Whatever is available in Seatle is also available in Bothell. The
Bove should be able to find anything that's in Seatle less than one
mile from her front door... probably within walking distance... no
more than a 15 minute stroll, or five minutes with a bicycle. With
all the public transportation in Bothell there's no need to own an
automobile.
http://www.yellowpages.com/bothell-wa/transportation-services
Bothell is right on the sound, can get everywhere by kayack!
https://www.guideadvisor.com/trips/bothell-kayak-rentals-kayaking-bothell-washington/
http://www.meetup.com/topics/kayaking/us/wa/bothell/
http://www.whatssup.net/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/whatssup-stand-up-paddle-surf-and-kayak-bothell
https://www.mapquest.com/us/wa/bothell-282040966
Btw, paddling a kayack is a great way for yoose gals to improve your
bust! ;)

meda...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 10:33:59 AM7/26/16
Not that I'm defending lardass bove here, but you really are a water head. Being in the Seattle "Metropolitan Area" in no way means in Seattle. That's like saying Covington, KY is in Cincinnati, OH.

The Greatest!

Jul 26, 2016, 12:02:24 PM7/26/16
"I agree with this psot..."

I have been down to Englewood to visit an urban farm run by Growing Home, one of my fave workforce development orgs:

http://growinghomeinc.org/our-farms/

Very cool place, it employs community residents (those who've been incarcerated), they run a farm stand, and it's a beacon of hope in a depressed area. It's two square blocks, they grow over 80 different crops in the course of a year. Plenty of vacant space in the 'hood, more of this kind of thing should be going on.

--
Best
Greg

The Greatest!

Jul 26, 2016, 12:04:31 PM7/26/16
Knock about that dough as you would a noisesome person, Ms. O....

--
Best
Greg

dsi1

Jul 26, 2016, 12:08:21 PM7/26/16
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 11:57:57 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
I completely agree with you. I use the word in the sense of "surprising." I don't dis the foods of others. Only a Mr. Bungle would do that.

Ophelia

Jul 26, 2016, 12:32:27 PM7/26/16

"The Greatest!" <gregorymorr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Oh I did, I really did LOL I feel much better now <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Gary

Jul 26, 2016, 12:59:25 PM7/26/16
Sqwertz wrote:

> She lives about 7 miles from Seattle. And it's quite acceptable to
> point out that she lives in the Seattle area regardless of where she
> claims she lives or where she does or doesn't go.

You really blew your argument Steve. You said 5 miles from Seattle,
then changed it to 7 miles from Seattle then finally added a 20 mile
radius. lol

I looked it up and I see that she lives 12 miles from seattle as the
crow flys. But...I don't think Julie has a helicopter to fly direct. I
saw 22 miles when driving on roads.

I still agree though that even 22 miles wouldn't make a difference in
food prices. I would never drive 20-some miles to go to some worthless
restaurant. Anything beyond 3 miles is long distance to me. I'm
spoiled.

tert in seattle

Jul 26, 2016, 1:30:04 PM7/26/16
I don't get up that way much

it's not like you're far from Seattle though -- and people from much
further out commute to the city for work

dsi1

Jul 26, 2016, 1:43:29 PM7/26/16
The company I worked for in CA had a guy that spent 4 hours a day driving to and from work in a Ford Pinto. That blew my mind. That guy could seriously use a self-driving car! My wife and I live about a mile from where we work - it is a most wonderful thing.

sf

Jul 26, 2016, 3:22:54 PM7/26/16
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 17:24:48 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
<te...@ftupet.com> wrote:

> it's not like you're far from Seattle though -- and people from much
> further out commute to the city for work

People who don't commute don't run to the Big City on a whim these
days with all the traffic they have to contend with just to get back &
forth.

--

sf

sf

Jul 26, 2016, 3:27:28 PM7/26/16
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 10:43:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
I know, some commuters are just nuts. I have never commuted more than
15-20 minutes over City streets. At one time, we lived on the same
physical block as my husband's office. It was so close, he used to
walk "the long way" home just to feel some separation from work. We
moved after a couple of years.

--

sf

tert in seattle

Jul 26, 2016, 4:00:04 PM7/26/16
I missed the part where you were talking about making trips on a whim --
obviously that changes everything. There may as well be a wall surrounding
Bothell, and a moat.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 4:10:02 PM7/26/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:57979741...@att.net...
It's not the miles that affect the food prices. It's the cost of rent for
the building and other things that drives the prices up higher there. Rent
just costs more, especially if there is a nice view.

When we moved back here, the real estate agent told us not to move to King
county as the taxes were much higher. That is true. My friend in Shoreline
has a house that is smaller than this and older but her taxes on it are
higher. She seems to pay more for utilities as well.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 4:11:15 PM7/26/16

"tert in seattle" <te...@ftupet.com> wrote in message
My husband commutes there. And you'd likely have no reason to come here.
Just like I have no reason to go to Seattle.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 4:13:12 PM7/26/16

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I worked with a woman who did that although she had a Mazda Miata. She had
to take the ferry to and from as well. She was constantly complaining about
the commute yet she refused to take a job closer to home because it wouldn't
pay as well. She was seriously into money.

col...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 4:55:04 PM7/26/16
yet again I say it's spelled brothel

jmcquown

Jul 26, 2016, 9:36:11 PM7/26/16
On 7/26/2016 9:58 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Bove should be able to find anything that's in Seatle less than one
> mile from her front door... probably within walking distance... no
> more than a 15 minute stroll, or five minutes with a bicycle.
(snippage)

Sorry, but I don't agree with you, Sheldon. Sure, Bothell is a part of
municipal Seattle. That doesn't mean her house is necessarily very
close to anything other than another house. From all her descriptions
it does not sound the type of neighborhood where there would be lots of
stores and restaurants within walking or bicycling distance. Not even
if she could, which she couldn't. From her desctriptions it sounds like
a rather depressed suburb. Not the type of neighborhood with a lot of
great shops and really good restaurants right there.

Jill

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 10:32:53 PM7/26/16

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Yep. When I was a kid, we sometimes went to Seattle for the day. We might go
to the Seattle Center or a museum or a park or some such thing. Might or
might not include a meal there. Usually not. Only place I do remember going
to several times to eat was Charlies. Looks like they are closing now.

http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2015/06/broadway-says-goodbye-to-charlies/

Over the years, I have had friends who lived in Seattle but we rarely went
out to eat or even went out for coffee. Just too expensive. What we usually
did was bought something at the grocery store on the way there and we'd eat
that.

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 10:33:14 PM7/26/16

"tert in seattle" <te...@ftupet.com> wrote in message
Since we have moved back here, we've been to Seattle maybe 20 times. Most
were for medical appointments or when my dad was in the hospital. Perhaps
three times to museums. Once for a dance convention. I think my husband took
Angela to the Seattle Center a time or two. And she went on a harbor cruise
in the 9th grade. Mostly we just have no need to go there. We have all of
the services save for a few medical specialists out here. I have to go to
the U of W for some testing but they now have an office in Everett, a
bookstore in Mill Creek and a campus in Bothell.

tert in seattle

Jul 26, 2016, 11:30:04 PM7/26/16
UW is spreading its tentacles all over the state

sf

Jul 26, 2016, 11:49:00 PM7/26/16
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 21:36:06 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Sure, Bothell is a part of municipal Seattle.

Are you trying to say it's a suburb of Seattle?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:30:58 AM7/27/16

"tert in seattle" <te...@ftupet.com> wrote in message
Yes it is.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 2:08:31 AM7/27/16

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
If I were capable of walking and if it were safe to do so, there are a few
places near here. Two are pizza places and I don't think either has seating.
There is a new Indian place, a taqueria, a casino, a tavern, teriyaki place,
chicken place and probably a few others. There are other small businesses.
They do seem to come and go. Particularly the little hole in the wall
restaurants. Angela does like the teriyaki place although it is not her
favorite and something like that is not something I would ever leave the
house to get. About the only time I might get it is if we are coming home
later than expected and she or my husband wants food right then. I've never
eaten the stuff. Just doesn't sound appealing.

One would think that we'd have tried the taqueria. It does get good reviews.
And it is owned by the wife of the owner of the Mexican place that used to
be by where the dance studio used to be when it was just around the corner
from here. We did eat there a lot when we first moved here, mainly because
we didn't know of any other places. Both Bothell and Mill Creek have a lot
more businesses now than they did when we moved here. And when we first
moved in, neither the stove nor the kitchen sink were usable. So we had to
eat prepared food or dine out. And when Angela had dance classes with an
hour break in between, that place was handy to go to during the break. Alas,
his wife divorced him and he lost the restaurant. But there again... This
place is very close to home and we tend not to go to those places too much.
I also feel that taqueria food really suffers if you try to bring it home.

The other thing is that it is flat out not safe to walk here. People do it
all the time but there are constant injuries and even one recent death. A
high school student who was walking home from work at his job at Mud Bay
which is a pet food shop. He was hit in the cross walk too. Very sad.

There are some sidewalks here but many portions along the one road do not
have sidewalks so the people must walk at the edge or at times in the
street.

We also have gotten reports of suspicious activity just a few houses down
and also 5 separate assaults in that area in the past two weeks. The creepy
thing is that the alert shows two houses. We know the people in the one
house but then there is a disclaimer stating that they can not give us the
exact address so the picture may not represent that address. I am not about
to go down there to find out either.

The sad thing about this area is that we are being overtaken by chain
places. Mod Pizza, Q'Doba, Chipotle, Red Robin, Applebees and the like. And
now a Chick Fila where the Denny's once was. People are not liking that.

I'm not saying there are no good places to dine at, but some don't appeal to
us, such as Thai or Italian, or the hours are not convenient. A new Mexican
place opened at Country Village that is purported to be good but they close
at 6:00 p.m. We eat our dinner later than that. The whole little shopping
area closes at that time which is why.

This is where we ate tonight. It's in Woodinville.

http://plazasantafegrill.com/

Main reasons that we dined out were... Once again, husband was being super
annoying and the house was hot. We are having unseasonably hot weather
again. Not to the point of being miserable, Gary. Unless you consider that
my husband was actually making us miserable.

But I also discovered late last night that somebody had eaten all of the
little dips that my husband likes in his lunch. I had to send in a Dollar
Tree cheese dip. It was either that or a small can of HEB bean dip but he's
not a bean fiend like me. And I wanted to get a birthday cake for Angela.
So... We opted to go shopping then drive around for a while then go there.
Turns out that Woodinville Target is a Pokestop. Who knew? She was able to
refill her Pokeballs and get some rare Pokemon in Woodinville. We didn't
drive around as much as I would have liked to because so many of the roads
were in rough shape due to construction.

Anyway... I am a VIP member at this restaurant and for every so many (forget
the exact number) meals that I purchase, we get a free one. They also send
me texts with coupons. But... It's highly unlikely that we would ever just
make a trip to drive to this restaurant to eat. We made it a planned stop,
combined with some other stops. And yay! County Market still sells the
little cans of pears in juice. They seem to be the only place that does.

I did offer to take Angela out to eat again tomorrow as it is her birthday.
She might opt not to go though as she really doesn't like to go out much. It
will be fine if she wants to eat here. I have to take my friends grocery
shopping tomorrow so I can pick something up if she wants food at home. Or I
should say something other than what we already have, as we have plenty of
food. Just not a lot of meat.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 2:16:27 AM7/27/16

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 21:36:06 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Sure, Bothell is a part of municipal Seattle.
>
> Are you trying to say it's a suburb of Seattle?

It is considered a suburb. And we live in a very much residential area. We
do live closer to some businesses than other people. If you go up by where
the new high school is being built, there are no businesses whatever. I hope
they put a coffee machine in there or those kids will be screwed. No walking
to Starbucks at lunch.

In fact I have seen a great many areas all over this country where there are
houses for miles but no businesses. I always wonder where those people buy
such things as groceries or gas. Because there are none around.

We do have two Quickie Mart type places within walking distance but the
nearest grocery store is about 2 miles. I suppose some people in some areas
might be able to walk two miles for groceries. But try that here and you'll
be lucky to make it back alive or at least uninjured. No taxi service or
local buses here either. More and more people are using Uber if they are
without a car for some reason. Or getting grocery deliveries. PCC is now
delivering through Amazon Prime. I've heard great things but I've yet to try
it. I do love PCC but my wallet doesn't like their prices.

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 4:31:42 AM7/27/16
On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 9:27:28 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 10:43:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi1yahoo.com>
People have it tough on the mainland. OTOH, we have one of the worst traffic congestion in the US so I guess it all evens out in the wash. We're in the midst of building a fixed guide-way transit system. In a couple of years, we'll have a transit system just like the big boys. Awesome!:)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/web1_WDA-WAIPAHU-RAIL-SCENE-62.jpg

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 4:33:05 AM7/27/16
On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 10:13:12 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
Money changes everything. :)

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 7:30:43 AM7/27/16

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 23:16:18 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> If you go up by where
>> the new high school is being built, there are no businesses whatever. I
>> hope
>> they put a coffee machine in there or those kids will be screwed. No
>> walking
>> to Starbucks at lunch.
>
> Only on Planet Bove do teens need a Starbucks within walking distance
> of their high school. And if they don't have a Starbucks they put
> coffee vending machines in the school.
>
> How mach caffeine DOES Angela eat and drink?

No Steve. Coffee is in our blood here.

http://www.visittheusa.com/usa/experiences/w/washington/seattles-coffee-culture.aspx

https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Washington_State/Seattle-894670/Local_Customs-Seattle-Coffee_Craze-BR-1.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_in_Seattle

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/2eoaon/how_and_why_did_coffee_become_so_prominent_in/

I didn't grown up drinking it. My mom never drank it. My dad sometimes did.
We all drank tea.

I switched to coffee at 15. We had a machine at school. In those days the
coffee was cheaper than soda. And coffee refills were free in restaurants.
Soda refills were not free in those days but many places would refill tea
once.

I no longer drink it. It's not that I dislike it but I associate drinking it
with smoking because I so often had the two at once. I no longer smoke and
have no desire to take it up again.

In talking to other parents, most kids start drinking coffee at 8 here.
Angela started drinking it on a regular basis at 12. She did try it twice
prior. A sip of my dad's black coffee and an iced coffee. Did not like it.
But then she found some that she liked at Starbucks. She doesn't have it
every day but she currently has beaucoup bucks in Starbucks gift cards.
People kept giving them to her. So right now, she might get one or two per
week there. She was also given a Keurig as a gift so she sometimes makes
those. I'd say during the school year she probably has a cup per day.

I don't think she eats much caffeine. She isn't fond of chocolate but once
in a while she will have some. She also drinks diet Coke and Pepsi. Prefers
Pepsi. But most of her beverages do not contain caffeine. She does drink
some tea, Kombucha, milk, occasional juice and other diet sodas.

I have no clue how much coffee my husband drinks. Tons! On road trips he
pretty much stops every hour or two for another cup.

col...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 7:35:49 AM7/27/16
The first day I drank french press coffee I could tell it had more caffeine.

Bruce

Jul 27, 2016, 7:41:29 AM7/27/16
In article <c789ca11-193e-4252...@googlegroups.com>,
col...@gmail.com says...

> The first day I drank french press coffee I could tell it had more caffeine.

On another note, filter coffee is the healthiest. French press coffee
not so much. This is not related to caffeine content.

col...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 10:03:06 AM7/27/16
Cafestol and kahweol do raise LDL a little but they have anti cancer effects too.

sf

Jul 27, 2016, 11:16:07 AM7/27/16
On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:54:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 17:24:48 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> > <te...@ftupet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> it's not like you're far from Seattle though -- and people from much
> >> further out commute to the city for work
> >
> > People who don't commute don't run to the Big City on a whim these
> > days with all the traffic they have to contend with just to get back &
> > forth.
>
> Yep. When I was a kid, we sometimes went to Seattle for the day. We might go
> to the Seattle Center or a museum or a park or some such thing. Might or
> might not include a meal there.

Back in the days when all you needed to do was contend with rush hour
(2 hrs at the most) traffic, I used to scoot over the bridges just to
window shop. Not anymore. If there's something I want, I make a
scheduled stop on my way somewhere further away now. Heck, I rarely
even go downtown anymore. No need. I don't work down there and I can
find anything I want closer to home, where it's easier to get to with
free or practically free parking to boot. Ask people who live in a
borough of NYC how often they leave it other than for work (if that).
Gary doesn't need to go very far from home for his shopping either.

> Over the years, I have had friends who lived in Seattle but we rarely went
> out to eat or even went out for coffee. Just too expensive. What we usually
> did was bought something at the grocery store on the way there and we'd eat
> that.

Eating out isn't cheap. Restaurants here are more expensive downtown
(Union Square to the Bay, North and East) because the rent on real
estate is more expensive, we have 8.75% sales tax, a high minimum wage
(which will be $15 eventually) + required health insurance for minimum
wage workers - and it's all part of the bottom line. In most cases,
you get what you pay for. The surroundings are luxurious, the food is
delicious, and service is impeccable. Restaurants in that area need
to deliver all three or else they are out of business soon enough.

--

sf

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 11:34:51 AM7/27/16
col...@gmail.com wrote:

> The first day I drank french press coffee I could tell it had more caffeine.

My favorite way to brew. As far as strength, you keep trying to find
your favorite amount of coffee grounds and steeping times.

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 11:51:25 AM7/27/16
Julie Bove wrote:

> In talking to other parents, most kids start drinking coffee at 8 here.
> Angela started drinking it on a regular basis at 12.

I never drank coffee until age 18. At one time in my late 20's I was
drinking 3 pots a day. I was immune to the caffeine then....didn't keep
me awake.

These days, I drink only one cup a day. First thing I do in the morning
is brew it and sip while looking at internet things. No more coffee
after that.

The Greatest!

Jul 27, 2016, 12:09:03 PM7/27/16
So is "The Bove", tert...

--
Best
Greg

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 12:09:06 PM7/27/16
Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 23:16:18 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > If you go up by where
> > the new high school is being built, there are no businesses whatever. I hope
> > they put a coffee machine in there or those kids will be screwed. No walking
> > to Starbucks at lunch.
>
> Only on Planet Bove do teens need a Starbucks within walking distance
> of their high school. And if they don't have a Starbucks they put
> coffee vending machines in the school.
>
> How mach caffeine DOES Angela eat and drink?

I never even drank coffee in HS. And I tried Starbucks coffee once. Only
once and it was not so good. I laugh at the prices they charge. Kinda
like buying bottled water thing.

As far as buying coffee, 7-11 is good. I rarely buy that though. I want
coffee as soon as I get up so I make a pot each morning. Only one cup
then I'm done for the day.

The Greatest!

Jul 27, 2016, 12:11:58 PM7/27/16
wrote:
<chuckle>

The "She was seriously into money" comment could be construed as a non - sequitur...'though I know it was not *meant* that way.

--
Best
Greg

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 12:21:56 PM7/27/16
sf wrote:

> Gary doesn't need to go very far from home for his shopping either.

I've gotten very spoiled with that deal. Many grocery stores within 2
miles. My usual one is only .8 miles away. An entire intersection of
shopping centers are only 2 - 2.5 miles away. If necessary, I can shop
on bicycle...just buy small amounts at a time. I do that occasionally
just for the exercise.

All this nearby shopping plus I rarely drive more than 3 miles to
work.... I'm so spoiled. I always tell people that anything over 3 miles
is long distance to me. :)

Cheri

Jul 27, 2016, 12:34:42 PM7/27/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5798DFF7...@att.net...
Five miles for me. ;-)

Cheri

col...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 12:58:42 PM7/27/16
I only drink 2 10 oz mugs of press pot coffee, it will only make 28 oz max tho.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 27, 2016, 1:11:33 PM7/27/16
On 7/27/2016 12:34 PM, Cheri wrote:

>> All this nearby shopping plus I rarely drive more than 3 miles to
>> work.... I'm so spoiled. I always tell people that anything over 3 miles
>> is long distance to me. :)
>
> Five miles for me. ;-)
>
> Cheri

I used to have 3 miles (6 minutes) but changed jobs to 24 miles (32
minutes) for the past 26 years.

I knew a couple of people that commuted 80 miles each way to NYC. Jobs
that paid triple what they would earn locally.

sf

Jul 27, 2016, 1:21:03 PM7/27/16
I must say that I learned about a new to me grocery store by the Civic
Center (which is "almost downtown"), that I want to visit just to see
what it's all about. It was described to me as Whole Foods meets
Trader Joe's. I wish that we had a version of Eatily here, maybe it
will be similar - but most likely it's not. I'll take public
transportation to get there.

--

sf

sf

Jul 27, 2016, 1:27:46 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 13:11:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> I knew a couple of people that commuted 80 miles each way to NYC. Jobs
> that paid triple what they would earn locally.

Then you figure in commute costs and your hourly wage for time lost
commuting and subtract. Never mind lost family time that you'll never
make up.

--

sf

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 1:59:12 PM7/27/16
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I knew a couple of people that commuted 80 miles each way to NYC. Jobs
> that paid triple what they would earn locally.

That's what my father did in the last years of his career. Lived out in
the country and commuted about 80 miles each way to the Washington DC
area. He was a top dog in the Department of Defense.

jmcquown

Jul 27, 2016, 2:25:24 PM7/27/16
On 7/27/2016 6:11 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Only on Planet Bove do teens need a Starbucks within walking distance
> of their high school. And if they don't have a Starbucks they put
> coffee vending machines in the school.
>
> How mach caffeine DOES Angela eat and drink?
>
> -sw

Beats me. I don't know anyone who started drinking coffee until they
were in their 20's. She claims it's because "Seattle" is the home of
Starbucks. I claim it's because parents are stupid. Then again, Julie
drinks a 12 pack of caffeine laden soda pop every day. There's no way
her child could expect to do otherwise.

Jill

Cheri

Jul 27, 2016, 2:30:59 PM7/27/16

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
DH traveled 200 or so miles a day with his job, huge expense with gas and
wear and tear on new trucks.

Cheri

tert in seattle

Jul 27, 2016, 2:40:04 PM7/27/16
downtown Seattle appears to be safe (for now)

Dave Smith

Jul 27, 2016, 2:48:37 PM7/27/16
I started drinking coffee when I was 10. My parents were tea drinkers
and I started that even younger because I hated milk. My best friend was
German and his parents gave us coffee. After he moved away I had one
friend who was Czech and another who was Dutch and both were accustomed
to strong coffee... and cigarettes.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 27, 2016, 3:18:11 PM7/27/16
Kids will do what other kids do. In that part of the country, they
drink a lot of coffee. My mother gave us a cup of tea in the morning
and decades later, it is my morning choice.

My kids started drinking coffee late teens.

http://www.cnbc.com/2011/09/22/Americas-Most-Caffeinated-Cities.html?slide=13
https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/best-coffee-cities-in-america

Bruce

Jul 27, 2016, 4:51:38 PM7/27/16
In article <01afdc21-b795-456f...@googlegroups.com>,
col...@gmail.com says...

> Cafestol and kahweol do raise LDL a little but they have anti cancer effects too.

Yes, they specifically mentioned cafestol in the program I saw. And
either Arabica or Robusta coffee had more cafestol, but I forgot. One
had more cafestol and the other more caffeine.

dsi1

Jul 27, 2016, 4:55:30 PM7/27/16
The kids were weaned on energy drinks and as they grow older will continue to demand caffeine for their need to fire up their brains. Coffee, I think, will be very popular with the new generation. They'll be drinking the stuff in ways we never did. What's trending in this town is tea. The kids are drinking tea in ways we never did too.

Jeßus

Jul 27, 2016, 6:02:00 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 14:25:19 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Beats me. I don't know anyone who started drinking coffee until they
>were in their 20's.

I was about 10 y/o when I had my first (instant) coffee. It was love
at first sip and the rest is history.

>She claims it's because "Seattle" is the home of
>Starbucks.

Patriotic about a corporation...

>I claim it's because parents are stupid. Then again, Julie
>drinks a 12 pack of caffeine laden soda pop every day. There's no way
>her child could expect to do otherwise.

All I know is none of us drank coffee at school or had access to
coffee at school.

Jeßus

Jul 27, 2016, 6:07:17 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 04:35:45 -0700 (PDT), col...@gmail.com wrote:

>The first day I drank french press coffee I could tell it had more caffeine.

I'll stick to my espresso machine, where you can extract the best
aspects of the flavour without all the caffeine. Caffeine is good, up
to a point. I usually have 2 or 3 double lattes each morning so I'm
getting plenty of caffeine as it is.

Dave Smith

Jul 27, 2016, 6:22:00 PM7/27/16
On 2016-07-27 6:01 PM, Je�us wrote:

> All I know is none of us drank coffee at school or had access to
> coffee at school.

The first high school I attended had a cafeteria and there was an urn of
coffee. The next one I went to had vending machines. I occasionally
bought coffee from the machine but it was pretty bad. When I was in Gr.
12 and 13 we used to scoot over to a nearby Mister Donut for coffee.

Jeßus

Jul 27, 2016, 6:41:51 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:23:15 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
We moved around Australia a lot when I was a kid and went to quite a
few high schools, I guess at some schools we could have gone to shops
for coffee but I don't recall that being very common.

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 10:16:48 PM7/27/16
That must have sucked to be him! heheh JK! :-D

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 10:16:52 PM7/27/16

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Didn't your parents grow up drinking it? Mine did. Very common in those days
for the whole family to drink it. My mom took hers with mostly milk and
sugar. Not much coffee. But she never really liked it.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 10:16:58 PM7/27/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5798DCF6...@att.net...
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 23:16:18 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > If you go up by where
>> > the new high school is being built, there are no businesses whatever. I
>> > hope
>> > they put a coffee machine in there or those kids will be screwed. No
>> > walking
>> > to Starbucks at lunch.
>>
>> Only on Planet Bove do teens need a Starbucks within walking distance
>> of their high school. And if they don't have a Starbucks they put
>> coffee vending machines in the school.
>>
>> How mach caffeine DOES Angela eat and drink?
>
> I never even drank coffee in HS. And I tried Starbucks coffee once. Only
> once and it was not so good. I laugh at the prices they charge. Kinda
> like buying bottled water thing.

Only recently did Starbucks start making anything I'd drink. Some kind of
tea. I think it was mint. Can't remember. Can't stand their coffee. I only
like stuff like Folgers.
It is loading more messages.