Gas station fast food

bruce bowser

Jul 30, 2023, 6:58:01 PM7/30/23
I like how some of the gas stations now have entire kitchens where they make food from scratch. Wow! Pretty good, too.

Bruce

Jul 30, 2023, 7:17:32 PM7/30/23
On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 15:57:56 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
<bruce1....@gmail.com> wrote:

>I like how some of the gas stations now have entire kitchens where they make food from scratch. Wow! Pretty good, too.

That's a restaurant. There's a gas station in front of it.

dsi1

Jul 30, 2023, 7:18:59 PM7/30/23
On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 12:58:01 PM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> I like how some of the gas stations now have entire kitchens where they make food from scratch. Wow! Pretty good, too.

Food in unlikely places? I'm in. Actually, there's a 7-Eleven connected to the place where I get gas so I do indeed eat food from a gas station. My favorite would be the spaghetti with meat sauce. I like it better than those fancy/chain Italian restaurants. It's only 7 bucks! You gotta love that!
Breakfast this morning was waffles. It was something I knocked together. I add some vinegar to the milk to give me some curdled milk action. That worked out well, Next time, I'll add 4 tablespoons of butter to the batter rather than 2.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XC9TX1oWQaXR8sWf8

Thomas

Jul 30, 2023, 8:48:40 PM7/30/23
Dip that waffle in egg for a french toast winner.

Michael Trew

Jul 31, 2023, 1:12:14 PM7/31/23
On 7/30/2023 7:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Food in unlikely places? I'm in. Actually, there's a 7-Eleven
> connected to the place where I get gas so I do indeed eat food from a
> gas station. My favorite would be the spaghetti with meat sauce. I
> like it better than those fancy/chain Italian restaurants. It's only
> 7 bucks! You gotta love that! Breakfast this morning was waffles. It
> was something I knocked together. I add some vinegar to the milk to
> give me some curdled milk action. That worked out well, Next time,
> I'll add 4 tablespoons of butter to the batter rather than 2.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/XC9TX1oWQaXR8sWf8

Buttermilk waffles? Looks good to me. I always hear about using
buttermilk, but I have to wonder what the benefit is in curdling the
milk first, as opposed to just using sweet milk.

bruce bowser

Jul 31, 2023, 1:21:33 PM7/31/23
On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 7:18:59 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
Tell me about it! ! I remember when I was in Waikiki back in 2001 or so, I went to a grocery store and they had breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausage and - I don't know - probably Nori seaweed) wrapped up in a styrofoam dish. I guess styrofoam is now the scourge of pollution ! !)
Back then, I was heavily into that kind of far east island food scenario. You know, cabbage and soup base for breakfast, etc... Raw fish and seafood galore. Gimmie a break ! !

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 31, 2023, 1:40:31 PM7/31/23
Ask (or don't) and ye shall receive:

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-substitute-buttermilk

--
Cindy Hamilton

dsi1

Jul 31, 2023, 3:05:24 PM7/31/23
When I was a kid, I'd make yogurt by fermenting milk in a thermos. Then, with the yogurt, I'd make waffles. This is a lot easier and faster. Well, I still have to work out the peculiars so I'm making another batch this morning.

dsi1

Jul 31, 2023, 3:19:38 PM7/31/23
Times supermarket sell breakfasts for cheap. Well, they used to anyway. Western breakfasts tend to be on the heavy side for people that have to work in mines, chop down trees, or build railroads. Asian breakfasts are probably better for our modern lifestyles. In the future, people won't have to work at all so we'll all be eating Asian breakfasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK4gaJwXw_4

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 3:42:03 PM7/31/23
There's no such thing as a western breakfast.

dsi1

Jul 31, 2023, 5:09:59 PM7/31/23
I'm thinking the British and American breakfasts. You're probably familiar with the English Breakfast, and you don't know anything about an American breakfast. The traditional Japanese breakfast will have some miso soup, a small piece of fish, some pickled vegetables, rice, and tea. The Japanese breakfast is a pretty good deal for old people. The British and American is no breakfast for old men.

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 5:41:14 PM7/31/23
On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:09:55 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
I'm not familiar with English breakfast, but I'm assuming you mean
sausages and beans among other things. I doubt that many English
people eat that all the time.

jmcquown

Jul 31, 2023, 5:43:08 PM7/31/23
Buttermilk is not the same as curdled milk. That's merely a short-cut
(add vinegar or lemon juice to whole milk) if you don't have actual
buttermilk.

Jill

dsi1

Jul 31, 2023, 5:43:53 PM7/31/23
My guess is that you're right but I don't know a thing about it. My breakfast today was waffles and coffee.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y42wdJsxEW3rmCRS6

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 6:18:21 PM7/31/23
On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:43:49 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
I don't know what it tastes like, but it looks good.

dsi1

Jul 31, 2023, 7:41:54 PM7/31/23
A better Belgian waffle iron would probably give a nicer looking result. Maybe brushing oil onto the iron rather than spraying oil would work better. I used milk and vinegar again, reduced the sugar, increased the butter, and added some corn starch. I'm dialing it all in.

jmcquown

Jul 31, 2023, 7:43:30 PM7/31/23
On 7/31/2023 1:12 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
I've never seen spaghetti and meat sauce at a gas station. Back outside
of Memphis TN years ago there was a place called 'McLemore's' Market
that at one time had gas pumps. They got rid of those but still served
hot breakfast and lunch. Biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs and bacon, but
nope, no waffles. At lunch they did serve fried chicken and deep fried
potato wedges. Where I live now there is a Shell station that sells
fried chicken. I can't say I've ever seen waffles at a gas station.

Jill

Dave Smith

Jul 31, 2023, 9:28:30 PM7/31/23
A better Belgian waffle maker is not the answer. Someone was too skimpy
the the batter. There appears not be be any spillover but the excess can
be easily trimmed off which is preferable to voids in the waffle.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 12:21:33 AM8/1/23
I used to spill my waffle batter years ago. I don't do that any more. I'm better than that.

GM

Aug 1, 2023, 7:51:02 AM8/1/23
WIERD...!!!

A Japanese native has transformed himself into a canine after forking out more than $14,000
for a custom-made collie costume.

https://nypost.com/2023/07/28/toco-the-human-border-collie-steps-out-for-first-ever-walk-in-public/

Man who spent $14K to transform himself into collie steps out for first-ever walk in public

"The dog days are just beginning for this man.

A Japanese native has transformed himself into a canine after forking out more than $14,000
for a custom-made collie costume.

The private citizen, who goes only by Toco online, says the unusual garment has helped actualize his dream of “becoming an animal.”

Footage shared to Toco’s YouTube channel, where he boasts more than 32,000 subscribers, shows him clad in the costume as he frolics on a lawn, rolls on a floor, and plays fetch.

Toco has even uploaded a video of himself venturing out in public as a dog for the very first time.

Bystanders appeared to be in awe of the man’s doggy debut as he paraded down a busy street in the viral clip, which has racked up 1.7 million views.

Toco completed the costume with a harness strapped around his furry abdomen, but admitted he was “nervous” and “scared” of venturing out in public.

“Do you remember your dreams from when you are little? You want to be a hero or a wizard,” he wrote in the clip, describing his life-dog dog dream as seemingly “unrealistic.”

“I remember writing in my grade school graduation book that I wanted to be a dog and walk outside.”

As an introduction to his unusual hobby, Toco answered a series of questions in a video posted last year, admitting he always “had a vague dream of becoming an animal” ever since he was a child.

“When I fulfilled that dream, this is how it turned out,” he wrote in the clip, adding that he chose to become a collie due to the negligible size difference between the breed and humans.

Zeppet, the company that manufactured Toco’s collie costume, says it took 40 days to create the furry fashion item, which cost a cool $2 million Yen (USD $14,161).

“Modeled after a collie dog, it reproduces the appearance of a real dog walking on four legs,” the company’s spokesperson told news.com.au.

Despite garnering online fame with his puppy pursuit, Toco conceals his unusual proclivities from most of his friends and family.

“I rarely tell my friends because I am afraid they will think I am weird,’ he said in a separate interview with the Mirror. “My friends and family seemed very surprised to learn I became an animal.”

Meanwhile, the Japanese man said last year that most of his colleagues are also unaware that he dresses as a dog outside of work.

“I don’t want my hobbies to be known, especially by the people I work with,” he told the Daily Mail..."

</>

Michael Trew

Aug 1, 2023, 12:43:57 PM8/1/23
Thanks, that was helpful. Admittedly, I don't think that I've ever
bought buttermilk. I'll have to try that for biscuits some time. I'm
not much into drop biscuits, so I think I could avoid the issue that the
article writer had with powdered buttermilk, so I might stock that in
the future.

Michael Trew

Aug 1, 2023, 12:45:49 PM8/1/23
On 7/31/2023 5:41 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:09:55 -0700 (PDT), dsi1wrote:
>>
>> I'm thinking the British and American breakfasts. You're probably
>> familiar with the English Breakfast, and you don't know anything
>> about an American breakfast. The traditional Japanese breakfast
>> will have some miso soup, a small piece of fish, some pickled
>> vegetables, rice, and tea. The Japanese breakfast is a pretty good
>> deal for old people. The British and American is no breakfast for
>> old men.
>>
> I'm not familiar with English breakfast, but I'm assuming you mean
> sausages and beans among other things. I doubt that many English
> people eat that all the time.

That's an English full breakfast. Unless I'm having a late breakfast
(combined into lunch/brunch), typically I only eat a piece or two of
toast and coffee. Sometimes a small bowl of cottage cheese with it if
I'm hungrier. A "full breakfast" is way too heavy for the morning meal.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 1, 2023, 12:52:43 PM8/1/23
I have a pint of buttermilk in the fridge, waiting for me to turn it
into ranch dressing. Or creamy garlic. Or a half pint of each.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Graham

Aug 1, 2023, 2:13:37 PM8/1/23
Add some to the mix if you are making chocolate cake.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 2:18:10 PM8/1/23
I have used buttermilk powder. It's mostly a flavoring agent used in biscuits and pancakes. The problem I had with it was that it doesn't keep for very long before it just turns into a rock instead of powder. I add vinegar to the milk not because I want vinegar flavored waffles but because I like the effect of curdled milk in the batter i.e., it's better to have a thick waffle batter than a thin one. Milk with vinegar can indeed be substituted for buttermilk in recipes that rely on acid for a rise because it uses baking soda as a leavening agent.

S Viemeister

Aug 1, 2023, 2:30:53 PM8/1/23
I have sometimes used yoghurt instead of buttermilk, in pancakes and
waffles. It works well.

Graham

Aug 1, 2023, 2:42:41 PM8/1/23
I add a dollop to chocolate cake batter. As mentioned above, buttermilk
is an alternative, if on hand. The sourness of them bring out the
chocolate flavour.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 2:44:37 PM8/1/23
That's what I did when I was a kid - use homemade yogurt to make waffles. That was the start of it all. Hee hee.

bruce bowser

Aug 1, 2023, 2:58:14 PM8/1/23
And I CERTAINLY wouldn't mind it of some of those gas station places offered French toast in the morning pretty soon!

bruce bowser

Aug 1, 2023, 3:00:42 PM8/1/23
And back when I was in Hawai'i, this lady from there I was talking to was obsessed with throwing cabbage leaves into the ramen.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 3:16:32 PM8/1/23
I bought some saimin from 7-Eleven recently. You get it from the refrigerated case. I asked the woman where the soup for the noodles was. She said to stick it in the microwave and it comes out. I stuck it in the microwave and indeed the soup did indeed come as if in an enchanted spring. Ye Gods - what sort of black magic is this?

https://www.honolulumagazine.com/kasnack-attack-7-elevens-local-style-saimin/

S Viemeister

Aug 1, 2023, 3:25:47 PM8/1/23
I haven't tried that - yet.
But I think I will, the next time I make a chocolate cake.

Thomas

Aug 1, 2023, 3:41:31 PM8/1/23
Try buttermilk in coleslaw.

Dave Smith

Aug 1, 2023, 3:42:00 PM8/1/23
Buttermilk is definitely worth trying. The smallest quantity I can get
is a litre and that is hard to use up. I found a supply of powdered
figuring there would no waste, but that stuff was pricey. I was better
off getting the litre and trying to use it up within 2-3 weeks.
Buttermilk is great for biscuits, scones, pancakes and waffles.

GM

Aug 1, 2023, 3:47:47 PM8/1/23
MTV launched on this day, August 1st, in 1981...

--
GM

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 3:58:03 PM8/1/23
For me too. A bit of bread, a fried egg + chilli peppers, an avocado
in season, water, coffee. Something like that is my standard.

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 4:20:49 PM8/1/23
On Tue, 1 Aug 2023 12:41:26 -0700 (PDT), Thomas <cano...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I understand that supermarket buttermilk isn't the real thing anymore.

"Traditional buttermilk is the liquid that remains after churning
butter. It is naturally acidic and slightly sour, and it has a
distinctive tangy flavor. However, most buttermilk sold in stores
today is not made from the leftover butter-churning liquid. Instead,
it is made by adding bacteria cultures to milk."

Ed P

Aug 1, 2023, 5:04:09 PM8/1/23
Powder works out to about $3 a quart. I have no idea what the cost of
the real deal is but for my use, this is cheap. I only need a cup at a
time for pancakes. If I bought a quart, 3 cups would be wasted.

Graham

Aug 1, 2023, 5:14:23 PM8/1/23
When I was a child, my mother often made chocolate cakes and buns and
many of my school friends in the village helped demolish them after school.*
One of my friends asked his mother to make a chocolate cake for his
birthday party and she served me the first slice to see if it was up to
standard. It was! She then told me that she’d used sour milk in the
batter. I remembered that when I started baking in my late 20s. I never
told my mother, of course.

*When my mother died, some of those schoolboys, by then old men,
remembered her for her chocolate cakes.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 1, 2023, 5:19:26 PM8/1/23
I remember seeing a segment of America's Test Kitchen a few years ago
when they were showing the results of buttermilk powder vs. buttermilk.
The results were not good.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 1, 2023, 5:22:11 PM8/1/23
If you really want to bring out the flavor of chocolate, add a teaspoon
of espresso powder or even plain instant coffee.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 1, 2023, 5:23:29 PM8/1/23
On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 2:42:00 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Buttermilk is definitely worth trying. The smallest quantity I can get
> is a litre and that is hard to use up. I found a supply of powdered
> figuring there would no waste, but that stuff was pricey. I was better
> off getting the litre and trying to use it up within 2-3 weeks.
> Buttermilk is great for biscuits, scones, pancakes and waffles.

Buttermilk will last for m o n t h s in your refrigerator. No need to 'use

Graham

Aug 1, 2023, 5:24:29 PM8/1/23
I do that too but the yoghurt sourness helps.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 1, 2023, 6:01:48 PM8/1/23
Yet people dislike Hershey's chocolate. Go figure.

--
Cindy Hamilton

dsi1

Aug 1, 2023, 6:04:17 PM8/1/23
Indeed. My guess is that very few people here have tasted old fashioned buttermilk. OTOH, it's easy enough to make some butter and ferment the whey - or is it? I'll have to pick up some cream and make some. I can't say if it's possible with today's homogenized, pasteurized, cream. I can make butter easy enough but for buttermilk, the cream should start out in a fermented state i.e., spoiled rotten.

Dave Smith

Aug 1, 2023, 6:19:09 PM8/1/23
I'll second that. I have added yogurt to pancake batter a few times and
the results were wonderful.

cshenk

Aug 1, 2023, 6:22:46 PM8/1/23
bruce bowser wrote:

> And back when I was in Hawai'i, this lady from there I was talking to
> was obsessed with throwing cabbage leaves into the ramen.

Gai Lan leaves are better!

Dave Smith

Aug 1, 2023, 6:39:22 PM8/1/23
I am one of them. Hershey's was a rare commodity here in the 1950s and
I when I got to try it I did not like it. I used to watch war movies and
TV programs and Hershey's bars seemed to be a universally adored
commodity. When I finally tried it I was sorely disappointed.

Hank Rogers

Aug 1, 2023, 6:45:14 PM8/1/23
That's what I thought. Hell, it's already rotten.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 1, 2023, 6:57:20 PM8/1/23
On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 5:45:14 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >
> > Buttermilk will last for m o n t h s in your refrigerator. No need to 'use
> > it up' within 2-3 weeks.
> >
> That's what I thought. Hell, it's already rotten.

Yes, it's quite tangy and sharp tasting. Just give it a good shake if it's been
in your chill chest for a long time before using.

Ed P

Aug 1, 2023, 7:58:55 PM8/1/23
Depends on what you compare it to. Growing up, Hershey and Nestle were
the only chocolate we had. Thought it was pretty good. Then many years
later, I was exposed to other brands and found them to be much better.

After dinner, I often have a Lindt chocolate truffle.

S Viemeister

Aug 2, 2023, 3:51:57 AM8/2/23
Yes!
That's the only use I have for instant coffee.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 2, 2023, 4:32:44 AM8/2/23
On 2023-08-01, Ed P <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:
> On 8/1/2023 6:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Yet people dislike Hershey's chocolate.  Go figure.
>>>
>> I am one of them.  Hershey's was a rare commodity here in the 1950s and
>> I when I got to try it I did not like it. I used to watch war movies and
>> TV programs and Hershey's bars seemed to be a universally adored
>> commodity. When I finally tried it I was sorely disappointed.
>>

> Depends on what you compare it to.

Cadbury. Nasty stuff.

> Growing up, Hershey and Nestle were
> the only chocolate we had. Thought it was pretty good. Then many years
> later, I was exposed to other brands and found them to be much better.
>
> After dinner, I often have a Lindt chocolate truffle.

Other milk chocolates just taste boring, without that slight tang
from butyric acid:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hersheys-chocolate-tastes-like-vomit_l_60479e5fc5b6af8f98bec0cd

These days, I prefer semi-sweet chocolate. These are available at my
grocery store, and cost a little less than the same thing in the
candy aisle:
https://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Chocolate-Baking-Semi-Sweet-4-Ounce/dp/B000H27OBE

--
Cindy Hamilton

bruce bowser

Aug 2, 2023, 11:54:52 AM8/2/23
On Wednesday, August 2, 2023 at 4:32:44 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-08-01, Ed P <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:

> >> I am one of them. Hershey's was a rare commodity here in the 1950s and
> >> I when I got to try it I did not like it. I used to watch war movies and
> >> TV programs and Hershey's bars seemed to be a universally adored
> >> commodity. When I finally tried it I was sorely disappointed.
> >>

> > Depends on what you compare it to.
> Cadbury. Nasty stuff.

No, Cadbury chocolate and carmel is good.

> > Growing up, Hershey and Nestle were
> > the only chocolate we had. Thought it was pretty good. Then many years
> > later, I was exposed to other brands and found them to be much better.
> >
> > After dinner, I often have a Lindt chocolate truffle.
> Other milk chocolates just taste boring, without that slight tang
> from butyric acid:
>
> https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hersheys-chocolate-tastes-like-vomit_l_60479e5fc5b6af8f98bec0cd
>
> These days, I prefer semi-sweet chocolate. These are available at my
> grocery store, and cost a little less than the same thing in the
> candy aisle:
> https://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Chocolate-Baking-Semi-Sweet-4-Ounce/dp/B000H27OBE

I like Reese's and Andes Creme de Menthe.

cshenk

Aug 2, 2023, 12:27:01 PM8/2/23
Yes. I keep powdered and fresh. Look on Amazon for Hoosier Hill Farms
(airtight plastic container) for one that takes 2 years before clumping
starts. Don't use the cardboard containers at the grocery store as
they clump up long before you can easily use them up.

The fresh gives a better texture than powdered but both work.

songbird

Aug 3, 2023, 8:06:58 AM8/3/23
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Other milk chocolates just taste boring, without that slight tang
> from butyric acid:
>
> https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hersheys-chocolate-tastes-like-vomit_l_60479e5fc5b6af8f98bec0cd
>
> These days, I prefer semi-sweet chocolate. These are available at my
> grocery store, and cost a little less than the same thing in the
> candy aisle:
> https://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Chocolate-Baking-Semi-Sweet-4-Ounce/dp/B000H27OBE

we've been getting Belgian chocolate for our milk chocolate
for so long that i don't even know for sure when the last
time i had any Hershy's chocolate. it's more sweet from what
i remember. we eat about 30-40lbs a year (between the two of
us) and yes, i'm still losing weight.

someone was going on about peanut M&M's, but i don't like
the candy coating so for me a square of good milk chocolate
and a small handfull of peanuts is plenty.

songbird

Michael Trew

Aug 3, 2023, 12:29:55 PM8/3/23
On 8/1/2023 12:52 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-08-01, Michael Trew<michae...@att.net> wrote:
>> On 7/31/2023 1:40 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> Ask (or don't) and ye shall receive:
>>>
>>> https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-substitute-buttermilk
>>
>> Thanks, that was helpful. Admittedly, I don't think that I've ever
>> bought buttermilk. I'll have to try that for biscuits some time. I'm
>> not much into drop biscuits, so I think I could avoid the issue that the
>> article writer had with powdered buttermilk, so I might stock that in
>> the future.
>
> I have a pint of buttermilk in the fridge, waiting for me to turn it
> into ranch dressing. Or creamy garlic. Or a half pint of each.

Yesterday, at the store, I attempted to buy buttermilk. I would have,
had they stocked a pint. The only container available was a half gal of
butter milk for almost $6. That wasn't happening. I'm not sure if they
were out or what, but I couldn't imagine going through a half gal.

Michael Trew

Aug 3, 2023, 12:32:50 PM8/3/23
On 8/1/2023 2:30 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 01/08/2023 19:18, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I have used buttermilk powder. It's mostly a flavoring agent used in
>> biscuits and pancakes. The problem I had with it was that it doesn't
>> keep for very long before it just turns into a rock instead of powder.
>> I add vinegar to the milk not because I want vinegar flavored waffles
>> but because I like the effect of curdled milk in the batter i.e., it's
>> better to have a thick waffle batter than a thin one. Milk with
>> vinegar can indeed be substituted for buttermilk in recipes that rely
>> on acid for a rise because it uses baking soda as a leavening agent.
>>
> I have sometimes used yoghurt instead of buttermilk, in pancakes and
> waffles. It works well.

This morning's breakfast was pancakes, at Sophia's request. I only had
milk, but I might try that next time. Does the yogurt make them thicker?

Michael Trew

Aug 3, 2023, 12:36:45 PM8/3/23
On 8/2/2023 4:32 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Other milk chocolates just taste boring, without that slight tang
> from butyric acid:
>
> https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hersheys-chocolate-tastes-like-vomit_l_60479e5fc5b6af8f98bec0cd
>
> These days, I prefer semi-sweet chocolate. These are available at my
> grocery store, and cost a little less than the same thing in the
> candy aisle:
> https://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Chocolate-Baking-Semi-Sweet-4-Ounce/dp/B000H27OBE

I have never tried the Ghirardelli brand, but my store brand semi-sweet
chocolate chips are still sweeter than I prefer. That's a good thing,
because a bag lasts a lot longer. I prefer dark chocolate.

S Viemeister

Aug 3, 2023, 2:33:26 PM8/3/23
Greek-style makes the batter a bit thicker, but I haven't really noticed
much difference with the usual runny stuff.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 3, 2023, 3:29:39 PM8/3/23
Freeze it.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Leonard Blaisdell

Aug 3, 2023, 8:02:51 PM8/3/23
On 2023-08-03, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> Yesterday, at the store, I attempted to buy buttermilk. I would have,
> had they stocked a pint. The only container available was a half gal of
> butter milk for almost $6. That wasn't happening. I'm not sure if they
> were out or what, but I couldn't imagine going through a half gal.

I've been known to drink a 12 oz glass of buttermilk. With plenty of
salt and pepper, it tastes like liquid cottage cheese.
"I've been known" doesn't mean I've done so recently.

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2023, 12:53:25 PM8/4/23
If it freezes OK, I might get one and portion it off into a few containers.

Thomas

Aug 4, 2023, 8:50:45 PM8/4/23
It freezes perfect. I get 2 lazy uses. The first, then freeze, the second after a thaw then I dump the 70 percent down the drain. If I were not lazy I would be smart and portion it.

Thomas

Aug 4, 2023, 9:03:40 PM8/4/23
Thanks for the reminder. 6 pounds of Hoosier going into the trash right now. It was a "covid" buy.
https://postimg.cc/v1HZNQfJ

songbird

Aug 5, 2023, 7:20:00 PM8/5/23
Thomas wrote:
> Thanks for the reminder. 6 pounds of Hoosier going into the trash right now. It was a "covid" buy.
> https://postimg.cc/v1HZNQfJ

was it bad? if it was kept sealed up i can't imagine
something like that going off even if a bit past the
expiration or best used by date.

songbird

jmcquown

Aug 6, 2023, 8:25:07 AM8/6/23
The best buy date on it was 4/29/2022. It's powdered milk. How long
does it take milk powder to go bad?

Jill

songbird

Aug 6, 2023, 2:49:17 PM8/6/23
jmcquown wrote:
> The best buy date on it was 4/29/2022. It's powdered milk. How long
> does it take milk powder to go bad?

i've never had a sealed package go bad and i've never
had an unsealed package around long enough to find out
(six months to a year perhaps but not usually that long
as i do happily use it up even to make milk out of it
instead of as a baking/cooking ingredient).

songbird

cshenk

Aug 7, 2023, 10:21:20 AM8/7/23
Up to 4 years past 'best buy' date if properly airtight. 'Best buy'
dates are mostly bogus. In this case, if frozen, it would be perfect
still.

Thomas

Aug 7, 2023, 10:57:38 AM8/7/23
Best by not best buy.
It was a six pound bag in the way. It was a 50 dollar waste.