Lentil Soup 8/18

jmcquown

Oct 18, 2014, 8:33:24 PM10/18/14
I made a pot of lentil soup tonight. Brown lentils, rinsed then cooked
in a deep pot with sauteed onion and garlic, seasoned with salt &
pepper. It really doesn't take much more than that. Add water or broth
or stock to cover well. In this case I added sliced smoked beef sausage
so I used beef broth. I added frozen spinach just as it was just about
cooked through. (One of these days I really should try adding kale but
I like spinach.)

I baked a loaf of Southern skillet cornbread (not to be confused with
Ophelia's quest for yeast corn bread) to go with it. What a nice bowl
of hearty soup on a finally cool evening.

Quite tasty, and of course, there will be leftovers for tomorrow or the
next day and also for the freezer. :)

Jill

Roger

Oct 19, 2014, 1:17:10 AM10/19/14
Your posts are showing up two months after you post them. It's not a
huge loss, of course.

sf

Oct 19, 2014, 1:20:28 AM10/19/14
On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 20:33:24 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I made lentil stew tonight!

I did pretty much what you did it - mirepoix (heavy on the onion +
extra garlic and cumin + s&p). I used chicken broth instead if beef,
because I had some that needed to be used... and a can of diced
tomatoes. The meat was (fresh) Brazilian chorizo that I browned
before adding to the pot. I wanted to add spinach, but there was none
in the freezer (which is very unlike me because I always have it on
hand) - so it's on the shopping list now.

I had corn bread in the freezer, but I served my stew over (converted)
rice.

Julie Bove

Oct 20, 2014, 12:43:50 AM10/20/14

"Roger" <pri...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Wow! I hadn't even noticed that.

Janet Bostwick

Oct 20, 2014, 11:43:59 AM10/20/14
wrote:

>I made a pot of lentil soup tonight. Brown lentils, rinsed then cooked
>in a deep pot with sauteed onion and garlic, seasoned with salt &
>pepper. It really doesn't take much more than that. Add water or broth
>or stock to cover well. In this case I added sliced smoked beef sausage
>so I used beef broth. I added frozen spinach just as it was just about
>cooked through.
snip

>Jill

I'm going to try the sausage and spinach approach this winter. That
sounds good. Thanks
Janet US

KenK

Oct 21, 2014, 10:50:58 AM10/21/14
Roger <pri...@gmail.com> wrote in news:bcadnYzkkY3I1N7JnZ2dnUU7-
QGd...@giganews.com:
My newsreader shows it was posted 10/18/14.

sf

Oct 21, 2014, 12:19:40 PM10/21/14
On 21 Oct 2014 14:50:58 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Roger <pri...@gmail.com> wrote in news:bcadnYzkkY3I1N7JnZ2dnUU7-
> QGd...@giganews.com:
>

> > Your posts are showing up two months after you post them. It's not a
> > huge loss, of course.
> >

> My newsreader shows it was posted 10/18/14.

Roger had nothing of importance to add, so he said that. She wrote
8-18 in the subject line, something that didn't matter to anyone
except him.

leno...@yahoo.com

Oct 21, 2014, 1:35:41 PM10/21/14
I love THIS recipe. It's curried lentil soup with ham.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/10371-curried-lentil-soup-with-ham

However, I recommend substituting maybe one or two cups of the chicken broth
with water, or it may well be too salty for your taste. (Even if you leave
out the salt that's listed after the thyme.)

And, aside from lentil soup, here are some variants on a terrific
Portuguese soup. Main ingredients? Sausage, sweet potatoes, and kale.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1152&bih=618&noj=1&sclient=psy-ab&q=sausage+yams+kale+soup&oq=sausage+yams+kale+soup&gs_l=serp.3...12067.13565.1.14220.5.5.0.0.0.0.89.298.5.5.0....0...1c.1.56.serp..5.0.0.85Tq-n9Esgo

Lenona.

jmcquown

Oct 23, 2014, 7:31:22 PM10/23/14
I fat-fingered the date in the title. Sue me.

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 23, 2014, 7:33:39 PM10/23/14
On 10/21/2014 12:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2014 14:50:58 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Roger <pri...@gmail.com> wrote in news:bcadnYzkkY3I1N7JnZ2dnUU7-
>> QGd...@giganews.com:
>>

>>> Your posts are showing up two months after you post them. It's not a
>>> huge loss, of course.
>>>

>> My newsreader shows it was posted 10/18/14.
>
> Roger had nothing of importance to add, so he said that. She wrote
> 8-18 in the subject line, something that didn't matter to anyone
> except him.

Yep, it was a typo. I added the date (incorrectly) to the subject line
because there have probably been countless posts starting with the words
"Lentil Soup" over the years. Roger must be a friend of "Earl".

Jill

sf

Oct 23, 2014, 11:57:50 PM10/23/14
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 19:33:32 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Roger must be a friend of "Earl".

I doubt it. IMO, it's just an "Earl" incarnate.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.