Uses for cottage cheese

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 4:00:12 AM11/26/17
I have cottage cheese to use up by the 27th. Should have checked the date
when I bought it I guess. I found a couple of food network recipes that use
it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/cottage-potatoes-recipe-1914710

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/cheesy-spinach-baked-penne-recipe-2108892

Not sure I have the right kind of potatoes for the first one and would need
to buy spinach for the second one. Would have to wing that as I would just
use whatever Italian cheeses I currently have and also some sauce that I
already have.

I also have a dip that I like that uses a mix of cottage cheese, sharp
cheddar, red onion and black pepper. Easy to make. Just whiz it with a stick
blender. Great to serve with veggies and small slices of black bread. Have
not seen that kind of bread available here though and not sure it would get
eaten except by me.

I do know it can be used in lasagna and kugel. Have seen recipes for
flatbread and pizza and saw that it can be used in a white bean dip but saw
no recipe. Also have used it in Jell-O but not sure that would get eaten.

We are not pizza lovers and I can't eat eggs so kugel is out. Any other
ideas? I was hoping to not have to go to the store again. I might place a
Costco Instacart order. Might. Can get free shipping but the prices seem
high and I don't need large amounts of stuff at the moment but will go see
what they have.

Thanks!

Nancy2

Nov 26, 2017, 8:25:51 AM11/26/17
I used to have a recipe for Dill Bread, a quick bread, that used a cup or so of cottage cheese.
I no longer have it. It was really good.

N.

Boron Elgar

Nov 26, 2017, 9:42:36 AM11/26/17
I have not tried this, myself, but this is a source I trust implicitly
for breads and have followed for years. Scroll down the page as there
is much to read. Recipe is toward the bottom.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/02/for-beaming-bewitching-breads/

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 26, 2017, 10:04:06 AM11/26/17
On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 05:25:47 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
<ellor...@gmail.com> wrote:

last month's post said she didn't like that bread.
Janet US

Taxed and Spent

Nov 26, 2017, 10:09:59 AM11/26/17
So she is open minded?

penm...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2017, 10:21:05 AM11/26/17
"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I have cottage cheese to use up by the 27th. Should have checked the date
>when I bought it I guess.

The date on dairy products is for the storekeeper... that's the
SELL-BY date... NOT the use-by date.

Cottage cheese is great with the addition of finely minced veggies;
celery, radish, carrot, scallion, etc.... then fold in some sour
cream... good on crackers, excellent in an omelet.
Cottage cheese is also very good with diced fruit; apple, pear, peach,
and naturally banana.... and with sour cream too.
Cottage cheese is also good for baking a deliciously moist cake.
http://www.midcenturymenu.com/2016/01/marbled-cocoa-cottage-cheese-squares-1950-a-vintage-recipe-test/
http://www.emilycanbake.com/2013/07/chocolate-cottage-cheesecake.html

Gary

Nov 26, 2017, 10:30:21 AM11/26/17
Julie Bove wrote:

> I have cottage cheese to use up by the 27th. Should have checked the date
> when I bought it I guess. I found a couple of food network recipes that use
> it.
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/cottage-potatoes-recipe-1914710

> Not sure I have the right kind of potatoes for the first one

That one appealed to you so go for it. Any potatoes you have will
work fine for that. It's just a potato casserole. Good cooking
can be simple and substitutions are usually fine. I interchange
potatoes all the time.

Recipe says Idaho potatoes. That state doesn't grow special
potatoes, just more of them

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 26, 2017, 12:11:18 PM11/26/17

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 26, 2017, 12:21:43 PM11/26/17
Recipe means "Russet". That's what's generally meant when Idaho
is specified. That said, you cook and mash up the potatoes. Any
potato will do; the result will just be somewhat different.

Cindy Hamilton

cshenk

Nov 26, 2017, 12:53:22 PM11/26/17
Nancy2 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Dak's Onion-Dill Bread Recipe
Categories: Breadmaker, Breads
Yield: 1 Servings

1 pk Yeast
3 1/3 c Flour
1/4 c Warm water
3/4 c Cottage cheese
3/4 c Sour cream
3 tb Sugar
3 tb Minced onion
1 1/2 tb Butter
1 1/2 tb Dill seed
1 1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Baking powder
1 Egg

Just dump them in in that order, and press "play" :-)

>From: je...@onion.pdx.com From: Bread-Bakers Archives:
ftp.best.com/pub/reggie/archives/bread/recipe

MMMMM

THat close? If needing to omit egg, at 2 TB water.

penm...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2017, 2:49:06 PM11/26/17
Nancy2 wrote:

>I used to have a recipe for Dill Bread, a quick bread, that used a cup or so of cottage cheese.
>I no longer have it. It was really good.

Cottage cheese can be added to any yeasted bread dough, as can
dillweed/seeds... the best dilldough is made with rye flour.

penm...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2017, 2:50:48 PM11/26/17
On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 08:03:59 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
She misplaced her dilldough... ;)

penm...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2017, 3:09:41 PM11/26/17
>potatoes, just more of them.

Idaho potatoes refers to russets... aintcha ever seen that Idaho
potato truck ad, the largest russet you've ever seen. Lung Guyland
usta grow more spuds than Idaho... however acrerage ratio wise LI
still grows more spuds than Idaho, as does Maine. For such a large
state Idaho grows relatively little produce. Idaho out produces TX
beef per acre. Won't be too much longer TX will out produce Chicago
for murders.

penm...@aol.com

Nov 26, 2017, 3:11:09 PM11/26/17
So says the dilldo pro.

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 26, 2017, 3:18:06 PM11/26/17
+.99

Better than average pun.

Casa de perritos felices

Nov 26, 2017, 3:18:50 PM11/26/17
;-)

Feelings

Nov 26, 2017, 4:42:17 PM11/26/17
Sheldon wrote:

>Won't be too much longer TX will out produce Chicago
> for murders.

As long as the useless and corrupt democRATS run Chicawgo, that'll **never** happen, lol...go here:

http://www.cwbchicago.com/

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

--
Best
Greg

cshenk

Nov 26, 2017, 5:51:34 PM11/26/17
l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> I have 3 or 4 cottage cheese dill bread recipes; but, all, like
> this one, are not quick breads. The best of the ones I have are
> from the Bread Machine Magic cookbook.

Humm, missed that. I think I have one but will need to hunt a bit.

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 6:38:17 PM11/26/17

"Nancy2" <ellor...@gmail.com> wrote in message
You liked it. I didn't. You posted it before and I've made it before and as
I said before, it has eggs. I do have the recipe. But thanks.

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 6:39:02 PM11/26/17

<penm...@aol.com> wrote in message
Thanks. No need for bread at the moment though.

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 6:39:22 PM11/26/17

"U.S. Janet B." <J...@nospam.com> wrote in message
Right and it contains egg.

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 6:40:03 PM11/26/17

"Taxed and Spent" <nospam...@nonospam.com> wrote in message
I don't need bread at the moment and the bread contains egg which I can't
have.

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 6:41:48 PM11/26/17

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
Thanks but don't need bread and didn't like the dill bread. I have made it
before.

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 6:43:15 PM11/26/17

<penm...@aol.com> wrote in message
It's already too sour for my tastes to eat as is. I will keep these things
in mind although I can't do things with egg. Thanks!

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 6:44:32 PM11/26/17

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5A1ADE56...@att.net...
But the potatoes need to be mashed so I don't think just any will do. I had
to go get spinach anyway so I picked up some more potatoes. Will make that
tonight and perhaps serve with ham.

jmcquown

Nov 26, 2017, 6:50:45 PM11/26/17
How about lasagna? My mother used cottage cheese rather than ricotta.
It works.

Jill

Hank Rogers

Nov 26, 2017, 7:07:31 PM11/26/17
I bet there is something in lasagna that she can't eat.

But it's a good idea, not much difference in the two cheeses.

notbob

Nov 26, 2017, 7:44:01 PM11/26/17
On 2017-11-27, Hank Rogers <nos...@myserver.net> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:

>> How about lasagna? My mother used cottage cheese rather
>> than ricotta. It works.

> But it's a good idea, not much difference in the two cheeses.

Agree.

First heard about cottage cheese in lasagne from the wildly popular
diet book, Calories Don't Count, from the 60s. Lotta ppl made it, as
it was a very popular book. I was jesta kid, but I remember eating
lotsa 'cottage cheese' lasagne's and they were always good.

I later went into a 'lasagne stage', using lotsa diferent ricottas, so
I know of what I speak. ;)

nb

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 11:36:42 PM11/26/17

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Yes. It works. I just didn't want to make that as we've had lasagna a lot
lately. I made the potatoes tonight. Super good! I will keep that in mind
the next time I decide to try some new cottage cheese and don't care for it
as is. Will be good in that. Tomorrow? Will make the spinach pasta.

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 11:38:38 PM11/26/17

"Hank Rogers" <nos...@myserver.net> wrote in message
I know I can make lasagna with it but didn't want to do that as we've eaten
it a lot lately. Normally I would use egg mixed in with the cheese as it
helps to firm it up. But since I can't, I just put in more of the firmer
cheese and make sure that it rests well after baking.

Julie Bove

Nov 26, 2017, 11:42:16 PM11/26/17

"notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message
I remember that book but I never made lasagna until I was an adult. I think
maybe my parents and brother didn't like it or something. Lasagna is one of
the first things Angela helped me make. I can pretty much make it with my
eyes closed. No meat in mine. Just tons of veggies. My Italian in-laws even
like it.

That being said, I've been buying the Encore lasagna. It's not quite as good
as mine but it is super cheap, quick to fix and doesn't leave me with a ton
of leftovers.

jmcquown

Nov 27, 2017, 8:47:59 AM11/27/17
I don't know where Mom got the recipe but she definitely wasn't on a
diet. More likely, cottage cheese was the closest thing she could find
at the commissary in the 1960's. :) She'd have asked her sister, who
was an excellent cook, and been told of course you can substitute
cottage cheese.

Jill

Taxed and Spent

Nov 27, 2017, 9:48:44 AM11/27/17
Or make your own ricotta. It is simple enough.

Nancy2

Nov 27, 2017, 11:24:37 AM11/27/17
Julie, your dairy products like cottage cheese, sour cream, dip, etc, will last
MUCH longer...like weeks...if you store them upside down after they are
opened. You need to put a saucer or dish underneath, of course, until
you know if they will leak or not...most of them don't, at least the brands here.

I don't know the science behind why this works, but trust me, it does. If anyone
doesn't believe me, try it...you have nothing to lose. ;-))

N.

Taxed and Spent

Nov 27, 2017, 11:40:43 AM11/27/17
The science is simple: keeps air out better.

Cheri

Nov 27, 2017, 12:30:50 PM11/27/17
"Nancy2" <ellor...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Wow, great tip, I hadn't heard that before. Thanks.

Cheri

Dave Smith

Nov 27, 2017, 12:38:04 PM11/27/17
The stuff is well sealed until it is opened. Once you open it and take
some out there is the possibility of contamination and I see no reason
that spoilage would be any slower in an upside down container than it
would be in a closed right side up container.

penm...@aol.com

Nov 27, 2017, 2:32:43 PM11/27/17
Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Agree.
>>>
>>> First heard about cottage cheese in lasagne from the wildly popular
>>> diet book, Calories Don't Count, from the 60s. Lotta ppl made it, as
>>> it was a very popular book. I was jesta kid, but I remember eating
>>> lotsa 'cottage cheese' lasagne's and they were always good.
>>>
>>> I later went into a 'lasagne stage', using lotsa diferent ricottas, so
>>> I know of what I speak. ;)
>>>
>>> nb
>
>Or make your own ricotta. It is simple enough.

Would be nice if you'd explain.... or you'd be too embarrassed to say
how many foreskins you skinned back to collect a cup. LOL

Kathy Katz

Nov 27, 2017, 2:44:04 PM11/27/17
Sheldon <penm...@aol.com> wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:
>> Or make your own ricotta. It is simple enough.
>
> Would be nice if you'd explain.... or you'd be too embarrassed to say
> how many foreskins you skinned back to collect a cup. LOL

You still chew on forskins like bubble gum. LOL

Hank Rogers

Nov 27, 2017, 3:41:58 PM11/27/17
penm...@aol.com wrote:

> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> Or make your own ricotta. It is simple enough.
>
> Would be nice if you'd explain.... or you'd be too embarrassed to say
> how many foreskins you skinned back to collect a cup. LOL

Well, if he got it from yoose giant saw-seege, it would have
been enough to make more than a paltry cup of cheese.

BTW, have yoose ever dined at that little dago joint down at
the corner of toid an' hunerd an toity-toid?

cshenk

Nov 27, 2017, 6:49:43 PM11/27/17
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Julie, we were responding to Nancy2 who asked about a dill bread recipe
she has lot.

U.S. Janet B.

Nov 27, 2017, 7:37:13 PM11/27/17
actually not. Nancy2 was providing a way for Julie to use cottage
cheese and proffered the idea of dill bread. Steadily throughout the
thread Julie indicated that for various reasons that she was not
interested in the dill bread.
Janet US

cshenk

Nov 27, 2017, 7:58:23 PM11/27/17
U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Oh, ok, apologies for a misread then.

Julie Bove

Nov 27, 2017, 9:53:08 PM11/27/17

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
I had but no need to do it as I buy small containers.

Julie Bove

Nov 27, 2017, 9:53:08 PM11/27/17

"Nancy2" <ellor...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I go through cottage cheese like mad. Just didn't take note of the date when
I bought this. I know nothing of dairy dip and my sour cream comes in a
squeeze tube.

Julie Bove

Nov 28, 2017, 2:12:01 AM11/28/17

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
Oh "we" were, were "we"?

Julie Bove

Nov 28, 2017, 2:12:58 AM11/28/17

"U.S. Janet B." <J...@nospam.com> wrote in message
The dill bread was discussed prior and I said that I had made it in the
past.

Nancy2

Nov 28, 2017, 8:38:17 AM11/28/17
Dave, just do a simple experiment. You will find out it works. My dad didn't believe it,
either, because I couldn't explain the science, but he tried it and found it works.

N.

jmcquown

Nov 28, 2017, 8:53:18 AM11/28/17
On 11/27/2017 2:32 PM, penm...@aol.com wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> Or make your own ricotta. It is simple enough.
>
> Would be nice if you'd explain....

I wouldn't bother making my own ricotta. I rarely need ricotta (or
cottage cheese) so I just buy a small amount as needed.

Jill

Taxed and Spent

Nov 29, 2017, 10:11:15 AM11/29/17
Yes, but she said ricotta wasn't available.

penm...@aol.com

Nov 29, 2017, 11:03:18 AM11/29/17
I likely wouldn't make my own cottage cheese either, especially with
my living in dairy country, but still I'd be interested in how someome
who says it's easy makes it... and because it's not all about me... a
discussion about make cheese, unlike most of the dreck posted here,
is very appropriate for a food group.

I actually can't remember the last time I bought cottage cheese,
however a few times a year I buy Farmer's Cheese and Pot Cheese.
Farmer's cheese is like a very dry version of cottage cheese, very
good in sandwhiches in lieu of cream cheese as it won't run out like
cottage cheese. Pot cheese is a very large curd version of cottage
cheese that I like for its tangy flavor and prefer it for lasasgna...
I find ricotta too sweet... I think ricotta is best suited for
pastries like cannoli. All these various types of cheese are readily
available at stores near where I live.

Julie Bove

Nov 29, 2017, 5:02:30 PM11/29/17

<penm...@aol.com> wrote in message
My mom said her mom made cottage cheese when she was growing up. She just
put sour milk on the back of the stove in a hot pan over a very low heat for
a very long time. She said it wasn't good and wasn't like what we get in the
stores today.

penm...@aol.com

Nov 29, 2017, 8:02:45 PM11/29/17
Your mom enjoyed head cheese.

Hank Rogers

Nov 29, 2017, 10:02:58 PM11/29/17
And I bet she stirred her sour milk with your great big
saw-seege.

Julie Bove

Nov 30, 2017, 4:57:30 AM11/30/17

<penm...@aol.com> wrote in message