Buttered Toast Dressing?

Michael OConnor

Nov 22, 2014, 11:58:57 PM11/22/14
This was about 30 years ago, I was at somebody's house on Thanksgiving and instead of regular turkey stuffing or dressing, they had a dressing that I was told was a secret family recipe that they would not reveal.

What is was, as best I can remember, is that they made up a bunch of toast, probably a whole loaf of white bread toasted in a toaster, and then it was cubed into one-inch square pieces. It was tossed with a liberal amount of a butter and herb seasoning, no onion or celery that I can remember, just (I am guessing) poultry seasoning and dried parsley and salt and pepper and other seasonings. It was put in a casserole dish and baked until it was all very warm. I remember it was not baked inside the turkey. They moved away the next year and I never got the recipe from them, but I remember it being very tasty.

Has anybody ever heard of such a recipe for a Thanksgiving dressing made from cubes of seasoned buttered toast?

sf

Nov 23, 2014, 1:03:11 AM11/23/14
On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 20:58:54 -0800 (PST), Michael OConnor
<mpoco...@aol.com> wrote:

> Has anybody ever heard of such a recipe for a Thanksgiving dressing made from cubes of seasoned buttered toast?

No, but melting lots of butter to pour over bread cubes or croutons
and adding seasoning is common.

Nancy2

Nov 23, 2014, 3:59:21 PM11/23/14
Sounds like regular sage dressing without celery and onion. Usually this is made with dried bread cubes (which
equals toasted bread), spices including sage, salt and pepper, poultry seasoning, and moistened with melted
butter (lots) poured over, or a combo of butter and chicken or turkey broth (which equals the butter on the
toast in the dressing you liked). I use the broth made by boiling down the giblets from the turkey.

It shouldn't be difficult for you to replicate it. It isn't rocket science. I, myself, would include some diced onion.

N.

Doris Night

Nov 23, 2014, 5:19:48 PM11/23/14
I dice some bacon, then fry it up, and saute my bread cubes in the
bacon fat and some butter.

In addition to what Nancy2 puts in her sage dressing, I also add some
chopped apple. Last summer, we had a really good herb crop, so my
dressing had no poultry seasoning but I used fresh Italian parsley,
sage, thyme, and rosemary.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Now I'll have to roast a
chicken.

Doris

sf

Nov 24, 2014, 12:02:58 AM11/24/14
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:19:53 -0500, Doris Night
<goodnig...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> In addition to what Nancy2 puts in her sage dressing, I also add some
> chopped apple. Last summer, we had a really good herb crop, so my
> dressing had no poultry seasoning but I used fresh Italian parsley,
> sage, thyme, and rosemary.

You know what's funny? I always read about how wonderful Bell's is
that I actually bought a box for this year. I don't plan to use it in
the dressing, but I'll use it somehow on the turkey. I think I'll mix
it with butter and smear it under the skin.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf

Nov 24, 2014, 12:09:46 AM11/24/14
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:59:17 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
<ellor...@gmail.com> wrote:

My thoughts too. It's not rocket science. Safeway has croutons that
have been made especially for dressing. More like home style
dried/toasted bread than the usual commercial brand.

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2014, 5:07:40 AM11/24/14

"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
What exactly is, 'dressing'? Is it what we call, 'stuffing'?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

Nov 24, 2014, 5:39:58 AM11/24/14
I can't say what people in the UK call stuffing but dressing and stuffing is the same err... stuff over here. Typically, it's cubes of toasted bread moistened with chicken or turkey stock with savory seasonings. Just don't call fried rice "stuffing."
Message has been deleted

Gary

Nov 24, 2014, 6:12:57 AM11/24/14
Bruce wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> >I can't say what people in the UK call stuffing but dressing and stuffing is the same err... stuff over here. Typically, it's cubes of toasted bread moistened with chicken or turkey stock with savory seasonings. Just don't call fried rice "stuffing."
>
> I thought dressing was what you pour over a salad.

At least in the US, dressing covers both - stuffing for a bird and
also what you put on a salad.
Message has been deleted

Janet Wilder

Nov 24, 2014, 7:36:50 AM11/24/14
I live Bell's. I season the turkey with it along with garlic, black
pepper and paprika.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Julie Bove

Nov 24, 2014, 7:49:08 AM11/24/14

"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.invalid> wrote in message
Yes but it is usually not stuffed into anything. It's baked on the side.
Also, depends on where you live. Different places call it different things.
Here, dressing goes on your salad.

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2014, 8:03:43 AM11/24/14

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I can't say what people in the UK call stuffing but dressing and stuffing
> is the same err... stuff over here. Typically, it's cubes of toasted bread
> moistened with chicken or turkey stock with savory seasonings. Just don't
> call fried rice "stuffing."

Thanks but do you stuff it into the turkey/chicken before you roast? When I
looked on line they seemed to be spreading it on bread for sandwiches..

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2014, 8:03:43 AM11/24/14

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5473131F...@att.net...
Ahhh thanks:)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2014, 8:03:43 AM11/24/14

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
> I thought dressing was what you pour over a salad.

Well, it is here too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 24, 2014, 11:13:14 AM11/24/14
On Monday, November 24, 2014 7:03:43 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:

> >> What exactly is, 'dressing'? Is it what we call, 'stuffing'?
> >
> Thanks but do you stuff it into the turkey/chicken before you roast? When I
> looked on line they seemed to be spreading it on bread for sandwiches..

Yes, those that cook it inside a turkey stuff the raw stuff into it's butt cavity claiming it's more flavorful. I've had it stuffed into the bird and honestly _I_ could not discern it to be more flavorful than dressing cooked in a separate dish. There have been instances of people getting food poisoning from undercooked 'stuffing' that's been stuffed into a bird. And you don't get nearly as much to enjoy as opposed to it being cooked in a separate dish.

And I'm not fond of bread stuffing/dressing; too mushy and/or gummy. My preference is for cornbread dressing that has onions, celery, salt & pepper, sage and turkey drippings or chicken broth added. Also a couple of beaten eggs go into this dish to serve as a binder. (I also use melted butter and sometimes a dash or two of poultry seasoning.)

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2014, 11:51:24 AM11/24/14

<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message
Thanks. I think it can be dangerous to stuff the cavity because there is
a chance it might not get to temp. If I want to stuff it, I put a little
in the neck flap and cook the rest apart.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Gary

Nov 24, 2014, 11:59:59 AM11/24/14
Ophelia wrote:

> Thanks. I think it can be dangerous to stuff the cavity because there is
> a chance it might not get to temp. If I want to stuff it, I put a little
> in the neck flap and cook the rest apart.

I do it all...some in neck cavity, most in main cavity and leftovers
in a casserole dish. Been doing this all my life and never any problem
with food poisoning. That's what an oven thermometer is for. :-D

sf

Nov 24, 2014, 12:10:56 PM11/24/14
I've never understood why people put eggs in stuffing.

dsi1

Nov 24, 2014, 12:51:29 PM11/24/14
On Monday, November 24, 2014 3:03:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Thanks but do you stuff it into the turkey/chicken before you roast? When I
> looked on line they seemed to be spreading it on bread for sandwiches..
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I don't stuff my birds. PTSD - Post Traumatic Stuffing Disorder. My memories of hard-packed stuffing are too vivid. The major reason I don't stuff my bird is my turkey does not spend a lot of time in the oven - it's always been under 2 hours. My mom, like most people of her generation, would roast a turkey for 4 to 5 hours. That was some dry turkey!

These days, I like to cut the leg/thighs off, flip them thigh side up next to the turkey and roast that sucker. This allows you to cook the breast perfectly without having an underdone thigh. It might not be kosher but my style is to do the opposite of what other people do. :-)

dsi1

Nov 24, 2014, 12:53:59 PM11/24/14
On Monday, November 24, 2014 1:02:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 02:39:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> I thought dressing was what you pour over a salad.

We call that salad gravy or simply "Coke."

> --
> Bruce

sf

Nov 24, 2014, 1:12:26 PM11/24/14
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:51:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Did you see that Martha Stewart video where they roast the bird upside
down on a split loaf of bread?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 24, 2014, 2:13:09 PM11/24/14
On Monday, November 24, 2014 11:10:56 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:

> > <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >
> > > a couple
> > > of beaten eggs go into this dish to serve as a binder.
> >
> I've never understood why people put eggs in stuffing.

Like I said above, it's a binder just like it is in meatloaf and it also adds depth of flavor.

dsi1

Nov 24, 2014, 2:19:31 PM11/24/14
On Monday, November 24, 2014 8:12:26 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:51:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, November 24, 2014 3:03:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > > Thanks but do you stuff it into the turkey/chicken before you roast? When I
> > > looked on line they seemed to be spreading it on bread for sandwiches..
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
> >
> > I don't stuff my birds. PTSD - Post Traumatic Stuffing Disorder. My memories of hard-packed stuffing are too vivid. The major reason I don't stuff my bird is my turkey does not spend a lot of time in the oven - it's always been under 2 hours. My mom, like most people of her generation, would roast a turkey for 4 to 5 hours. That was some dry turkey!
> >
> > These days, I like to cut the leg/thighs off, flip them thigh side up next to the turkey and roast that sucker. This allows you to cook the breast perfectly without having an underdone thigh. It might not be kosher but my style is to do the opposite of what other people do. :-)
>
> Did you see that Martha Stewart video where they roast the bird upside
> down on a split loaf of bread?

I have not seen that. What do you do with the loaf of bread afterwards?

Janet

Nov 24, 2014, 2:20:34 PM11/24/14
In article <74t67apmih5sp67u7...@4ax.com>, s...@geemail.com
says...

> Did you see that Martha Stewart video where they roast the bird upside
> down on a split loaf of bread?

I do that (on a rack not a loaf)). It keeps the breast and legs
beautifully moist and tasty.

Janet UK

sf

Nov 24, 2014, 3:33:21 PM11/24/14
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:19:26 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
The video left me with a couple of unanswered questions and that was
one of them!

sf

Nov 24, 2014, 3:38:41 PM11/24/14
I tried it once, but stopped because I didn't like indentations made
by the rack. At least dents aren't an issue with the bread.

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2014, 3:47:21 PM11/24/14

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5473646D...@att.net...
Not everyone is so careful:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2014, 3:47:22 PM11/24/14

> On Monday, November 24, 2014 3:03:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> Thanks but do you stuff it into the turkey/chicken before you roast?
>> When I
>> looked on line they seemed to be spreading it on bread for sandwiches..
>>
>> --
>
> I don't stuff my birds. PTSD - Post Traumatic Stuffing Disorder.

lol

>My memories of hard-packed stuffing are too vivid. The major reason I don't
>stuff my bird is my turkey does not spend a lot of time in the oven - it's
>always been under 2 hours. My mom, like most people of her generation,
>would roast a turkey for 4 to 5 hours. That was some dry turkey!

Depends on the size of the bird I suppose;)

> These days, I like to cut the leg/thighs off, flip them thigh side up next
> to the turkey and roast that sucker. This allows you to cook the breast
> perfectly without having an underdone thigh. It might not be kosher but my
> style is to do the opposite of what other people do. :-)

The legs and breast do cook at different times. Like you I never cook a
bird with the legs intact. As I mentioned earlier I buy a crown of turkey
for D. but if I roast a chicken I take off the legs, and roast them separate
to the breast. Same as you I always found that if I roasted one whole, if
the breast was cooked, the legs were undercooked and if legs were cooked,
the breast was overcooked and dry. I reckon we are doing ok:)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown

Nov 24, 2014, 3:52:11 PM11/24/14
My grandmother would have been telling the temp by putting her hand in
the oven. ;)

Jill

Becca EmaNymton

Nov 24, 2014, 5:25:24 PM11/24/14
On 11/24/2014 5:02 AM, Bruce wrote:
> I thought dressing was what you pour over a salad.

In Louisiana, if you order a sandwich, they might ask you if you want
that sandwich "dressed". That means, do you want lettuce, tomatoes,
pickles, onions. They might call mayonnaise, MY-nez. We live in the same
country, yet it can be so different.

Becca

Becca EmaNymton

Nov 24, 2014, 5:30:30 PM11/24/14
On 11/24/2014 12:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:51:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
snip...

>> These days, I like to cut the leg/thighs off, flip them thigh side
>> up next to the turkey and roast that sucker. This allows you to
>> cook the breast perfectly without having an underdone thigh. It
>> might not be kosher but my style is to do the opposite of what
>> other people do. :-)
>
> Did you see that Martha Stewart video where they roast the bird
> upside down on a split loaf of bread?

The old timers here will remember a story about one of my nieces,
calling me crying, because the turkey she was baking for our family
dinner, did not look right. I went over, looked at her turkey, and it
was upside down in a v-rack. This was my niece who was, unfortunately,
addicted to cocaine. I am not sure if that played a part, but her late
mom was not much of a cook.

Becca

Dave Smith

Nov 24, 2014, 5:44:56 PM11/24/14
On 2014-11-24 5:29 PM, Becca EmaNymton wrote:

>> Did you see that Martha Stewart video where they roast the bird
>> upside down on a split loaf of bread?
>
> The old timers here will remember a story about one of my nieces,
> calling me crying, because the turkey she was baking for our family
> dinner, did not look right. I went over, looked at her turkey, and it
> was upside down in a v-rack. This was my niece who was, unfortunately,
> addicted to cocaine. I am not sure if that played a part, but her late
> mom was not much of a cook.

I have never done crack in my life, but last month I tried cooking our
turkey upside down and it was the best turkey I ever had. I don't know
if cooking it upside down was a factor,but it really as good.

sf

Nov 24, 2014, 6:11:30 PM11/24/14
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:47:13 -0000, "Ophelia"
<Oph...@Elsinore.invalid> wrote:

> The legs and breast do cook at different times. Like you I never cook a
> bird with the legs intact. As I mentioned earlier I buy a crown of turkey
> for D. but if I roast a chicken I take off the legs, and roast them separate
> to the breast. Same as you I always found that if I roasted one whole, if
> the breast was cooked, the legs were undercooked and if legs were cooked,
> the breast was overcooked and dry. I reckon we are doing ok:)))

Two fail safe methods for cooking juicy chicken are vertical roasting
(@high heat) and spatchcocked. Both light and dark meat cook evenly +
the skin turns a wonderful brown.

Nancy2

Nov 24, 2014, 6:30:56 PM11/24/14
Gary, my grandmothers and mother also did it all...stuffing in all the turkey cavities, and leftovers as
a side dish, baked in a separate dish. Nobody ever got sick because they knew what they were doing.
It goes wrong when the bird is stuffed too early, and sits around for bacteria to grow within.

N.

Julie Bove

Nov 24, 2014, 6:31:33 PM11/24/14

"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.invalid> wrote in message
What? That stuff isn't put on sandwiches.

Nancy2

Nov 24, 2014, 6:33:49 PM11/24/14
Sf, I don't know why put eggs in stuffing/dressing, either. If made properly, it doesn't need eggs to
"bind" it. And it doesn't end up gummy, mushy or dry, either. Honestly, I don't know how some
people go wrong and make things so complicated.

N.

Nancy2

Nov 24, 2014, 6:36:43 PM11/24/14
Depth of flavor by adding eggs? Sorry to say so, but that sounds like pretentious BS to me.
In a properly flavored and spiced dressing, one wouldn't be able to taste eggs in it or not.
It is a waste of eggs, and extra calories, IMO.

N.

dsi1

Nov 24, 2014, 6:49:57 PM11/24/14
I'm guessing that this was something she learned in prison. You sneak
that wet loaf of bread back to your cell for a wonderful faux turkey
loaf. It's all good!

dsi1

Nov 24, 2014, 6:55:02 PM11/24/14
On 11/24/2014 10:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Monday, November 24, 2014 3:03:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks but do you stuff it into the turkey/chicken before you roast?
>>> When I
>>> looked on line they seemed to be spreading it on bread for sandwiches..
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> I don't stuff my birds. PTSD - Post Traumatic Stuffing Disorder.
>
> lol
>
>> My memories of hard-packed stuffing are too vivid. The major reason I
>> don't stuff my bird is my turkey does not spend a lot of time in the
>> oven - it's always been under 2 hours. My mom, like most people of her
>> generation, would roast a turkey for 4 to 5 hours. That was some dry
>> turkey!
>
> Depends on the size of the bird I suppose;)

I used to cook a big turkey but these days I cook smaller. OTOH, I don't
want to cook a bird smaller than 17 or so pounds. I don't have time to
waste on small birds.

>> These days, I like to cut the leg/thighs off, flip them thigh side up
>> next to the turkey and roast that sucker. This allows you to cook the
>> breast perfectly without having an underdone thigh. It might not be
>> kosher but my style is to do the opposite of what other people do. :-)
>
> The legs and breast do cook at different times. Like you I never cook a
> bird with the legs intact. As I mentioned earlier I buy a crown of
> turkey for D. but if I roast a chicken I take off the legs, and roast
> them separate to the breast. Same as you I always found that if I
> roasted one whole, if the breast was cooked, the legs were undercooked
> and if legs were cooked, the breast was overcooked and dry. I reckon we
> are doing ok:)))

Obviously, we both rely on cold, hard, logic when conducting our affairs.

Janet

Nov 24, 2014, 7:05:26 PM11/24/14
In article <ExOcw.807158$Fo3.4...@fx09.iad>, adavid...@sympatico.ca
says...
The first time I did, was accidental. I used to start the turkey
upside down for 45 mins then turn it the right way up. On that
particular Christmas morning my son was making ginslings. Large ones.
Because of gin I completely forgot to turn the turkey right side up; and
by the time it was cooked I was too far gone to recognise its upside
down anatomy and had to call my vet son to help. I haven't lived it down
yet, but it was the best turkey I'd ever cooked and I always do it that
way now.

Janet
Message has been deleted

Boron Elgar

Nov 24, 2014, 7:53:24 PM11/24/14
My stuffing has eggs and is made with challah....we think of it as a
savory bread pudding. It isn't gummy or mushy, either.

Boron

koko

Nov 24, 2014, 8:13:00 PM11/24/14
She probably used it to make Pruno. Don't ask me how I know these
things. ;-)
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/how-to-make-prison-wine-how-to-make-pruno
or
http://tinyurl.com/p8fvkzv

koko

James Beard

dsi1

Nov 24, 2014, 8:46:55 PM11/24/14
It's all natural and no preservatives!

Hey wait a minute, you can't get yeast from bread - or can you?

Doris Night

Nov 24, 2014, 11:09:35 PM11/24/14
You've never had a dressing sandwich!!? You haven't lived. :)

Of course it's cooked first.

Doris

Nancy Young

Nov 24, 2014, 11:18:12 PM11/24/14
On 11/24/2014 11:09 PM, Doris Night wrote:

> You've never had a dressing sandwich!!? You haven't lived. :)
>
> Of course it's cooked first.

Speaking of stuffing, on the chew they made a small
ball out of it, wrapped it in bacon and baked it.

I'd eat those.

nancy

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Nov 25, 2014, 12:13:35 AM11/25/14
No, it's not pretentious bull shit, why would you say that? And _I_ and thousands of others don't think it's a waste of eggs. And who cares about extra calories when eating dressing at Thanksgiving or any other time it would be consumed??????? If a person is concerned about 'extra calories' then they definitely need to skip dressing any time it's presented to them.

sf

Nov 25, 2014, 3:43:24 AM11/25/14
Thank you for explaining. I guess that must be it, but I can't
imagine why anyone would stuff a bird and then keep it sitting around
instead of putting it into the oven to cook.

sf

Nov 25, 2014, 3:46:16 AM11/25/14
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:31:19 -0800, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

Lots of people make turkey sandwiches with stuffing/dressing in them.
It's not a favorite of mine, but I've tried it and pass if offered
one.

sf

Nov 25, 2014, 3:47:55 AM11/25/14
:)

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 5:08:43 AM11/25/14

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
> On 11/24/2014 10:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I don't stuff my birds. PTSD - Post Traumatic Stuffing Disorder.
>>
>> lol
>>
>>> My memories of hard-packed stuffing are too vivid. The major reason I
>>> don't stuff my bird is my turkey does not spend a lot of time in the
>>> oven - it's always been under 2 hours. My mom, like most people of her
>>> generation, would roast a turkey for 4 to 5 hours. That was some dry
>>> turkey!
>>
>> Depends on the size of the bird I suppose;)
>
> I used to cook a big turkey but these days I cook smaller. OTOH, I don't
> want to cook a bird smaller than 17 or so pounds. I don't have time to
> waste on small birds.

Hey whatever suits you best:)

>>> These days, I like to cut the leg/thighs off, flip them thigh side up
>>> next to the turkey and roast that sucker. This allows you to cook the
>>> breast perfectly without having an underdone thigh. It might not be
>>> kosher but my style is to do the opposite of what other people do. :-)
>>
>> The legs and breast do cook at different times. Like you I never cook a
>> bird with the legs intact. As I mentioned earlier I buy a crown of
>> turkey for D. but if I roast a chicken I take off the legs, and roast
>> them separate to the breast. Same as you I always found that if I
>> roasted one whole, if the breast was cooked, the legs were undercooked
>> and if legs were cooked, the breast was overcooked and dry. I reckon we
>> are doing ok:)))
>>

> Obviously, we both rely on cold, hard, logic when conducting our affairs.

<g> btw I note we are not telling other people that they are stupid and
they are doing it all wrong and that our way is the only way ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 5:08:44 AM11/25/14

"koko" <ko...@letscook.com> wrote in message
lol well that is different. I will save it just in case ... <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 5:08:43 AM11/25/14

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
I have used both those methods, but prefer to cook them separately.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 5:08:43 AM11/25/14

"Boron Elgar" <boron...@hootmail.com> wrote in message
... and given you are one of the best cooks around here ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Boron Elgar

Nov 25, 2014, 8:21:25 AM11/25/14
You flatter me, Madame. I blush.

Boron

Nancy2

Nov 25, 2014, 8:26:28 AM11/25/14
*^*^*^*^*^*^

I saw a tip on the food network yesterday to get the breast cooked without drying out so
it is done at the same time as the thighs...put a bag of ice on the breast for about twenty
minutes before roasting. Sounds clever, but I wonder if it really works. It should.

N.

Brooklyn1

Nov 25, 2014, 9:26:48 AM11/25/14
Nancy2 wrote:

>I saw a tip yesterday... put a bag of ice on the breast for about twenty
>minutes. Sounds clever, but I wonder if it really works. It should.

I bet that'd make your nipples hard! ;)

Boron Elgar

Nov 25, 2014, 11:39:53 AM11/25/14
One thing that helps cook a turkey more evenly is to avoid trussing up
the legs. Leaving the turkey *open* helps the thighs and dark meat to
cook more quickly, helping it keep up a bit better with the breast.

If the bird is large and the breast gets done first, I put it out, cut
off the breast meat in two large pieces, cover it, and put the rest
back in to finish up. By the time the breast has rested, the remainder
is done and carving and serving can begin....I catch up with the legs
and thighs towards the end of final prep.

Everyone has a method or two that works to their way of thinking at
holiday time. There is no one right way to make anything.

Boron

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 11:51:22 AM11/25/14

"Boron Elgar" <boron...@hootmail.com> wrote in message
Quite so!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Nancy2

Nov 25, 2014, 12:17:42 PM11/25/14
You've never had a dressing sandwich!!? You haven't lived. :)

Of course it's cooked first.

Doris

*+*+*+*+*+

Best part of Thanksgiving=a leftover sandwich. Cranberry sauce, turkey, dressing and a smidge of
gravy. LOL. Or a hot turkey sandwich = turkey in white bread, cut on the diagonal, plop some
Leftover mashed potatoes (and dressing if you want) in between the two halves, and pour gravy
over it all. I don't like turkey any more, but this sounds really good. 😃

N.

Brooklyn1

Nov 25, 2014, 12:38:42 PM11/25/14
The simplist way to roast poultry so the light and dark meat cook
evenly is to set it in a rack breast down... every year the same
question and every year everyone forgets.

dsi1

Nov 25, 2014, 1:01:09 PM11/25/14
I didn't forget nothing! I've done that once and never tried it again. I'll try anything once - including knitting a sweater out of bacon to keep the breast cosy.

dsi1

Nov 25, 2014, 1:04:07 PM11/25/14
On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:08:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> <g> btw I note we are not telling other people that they are stupid and
> they are doing it all wrong and that our way is the only way ...
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Folks that believe that there's only one way to skin a cat just don't have much imagination.

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 1:43:59 PM11/25/14

> On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:08:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> <g> btw I note we are not telling other people that they are stupid and
>> they are doing it all wrong and that our way is the only way ...
>>

> Folks that believe that there's only one way to skin a cat just don't have
> much imagination.

So it would seem, but I get really pissed when people tell me what and how I
*must* do things.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 1:44:00 PM11/25/14

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Was the bacon fried?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

Nov 25, 2014, 1:54:17 PM11/25/14
Remind me to not ever do that! :-)

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 2:09:28 PM11/25/14

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Yers or I will growl ... and you won't like that!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Boron Elgar

Nov 25, 2014, 2:23:43 PM11/25/14
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:01:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
This is where TWIAVBP comes into it...turning a stuffed turkey that
nets out to close to 20 lbs is plainly a pain in my ass and since I
have been fortunate enough never to have made a dry turkey, I'd rather
play with my food some other way.

But hey - have fun.

Boron

sf

Nov 25, 2014, 2:34:31 PM11/25/14
> over it all. I don't like turkey any more, but this sounds really good. ?

I'll take mine open face, sitting on a plate (lots of gravy) so I can
eat it with a knife and fork, please.

dsi1

Nov 25, 2014, 3:16:39 PM11/25/14
On 11/25/2014 8:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I didn't forget nothing! I've done that once and never tried it again.
>> I'll try anything once - including knitting a sweater out of bacon to
>> keep
>> the breast cosy.
>
> Was the bacon fried?

The idea was that you layered raw bacon on the turkey breast which would
insulate and baste it with bacon-ny goodness while roasting. The bacon
shrank and looked kind of goofy but it seemed to work so-so. The turkey
had stripes on it and didn't look very nice. OTOH, if you like tan lines
on your food, this is the way to go.

Surprising to me, bacon flavored turkey wasn't that appealing.

dsi1

Nov 25, 2014, 3:28:26 PM11/25/14
That would be the reason I don't do it either. I can get a great turkey
without the gimmicks. OTOH, it was a real fun time flipping that bird!

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 4:12:21 PM11/25/14

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
I believe!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

Nov 25, 2014, 4:32:20 PM11/25/14
That was some salty turkey! Just thinking about it makes me queasy. :-)

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2014, 5:23:40 PM11/25/14

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
ew:(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Michael OConnor

Nov 26, 2014, 8:58:08 AM11/26/14

> What exactly is, 'dressing'? Is it what we call, 'stuffing'?

The distinction between stuffing and dressing is, if it is cooked inside the turkey, it is stuffing. If it is cooked separately in a casserole dish, it is dressing.

Michael OConnor

Nov 26, 2014, 9:07:22 AM11/26/14
> I've never understood why people put eggs in stuffing.

I'll usually put one egg in my stuffing as a binding agent, like putting an egg in meatloaf. I'm a transplanted Yankee who lives in the south, but one thing a lot of southerners do (and they only do this with dressing, not for stuffing, for show I guess) is they will slice a hard boiled egg and lay it across the top of the dressing right before the casserole goes in the oven. I've never tried doing that myself, but I've been to plenty of other people's houses for Thanksgiving and many of them do that. It's a southern thing.

Michael OConnor

Nov 26, 2014, 9:14:01 AM11/26/14

> I'm guessing that this was something she learned in prison. You sneak
> that wet loaf of bread back to your cell for a wonderful faux turkey
> loaf. It's all good!

In prison, she might have used prison loaf instead of bread:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutraloaf

Pico Rico

Nov 26, 2014, 9:18:34 AM11/26/14

> On 11/24/2014 3:12 PM, koko wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:49:52 -1000, dsi1
>> <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

>>> I'm guessing that this was something she learned in prison. You sneak
>>> that wet loaf of bread back to your cell for a wonderful faux turkey
>>> loaf. It's all good!
>>>
>> She probably used it to make Pruno. Don't ask me how I know these
>> things. ;-)
>> http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/how-to-make-prison-wine-how-to-make-pruno
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/p8fvkzv
>>
>> koko
>>
>> --
>>
>> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
>> James Beard
>>

> It's all natural and no preservatives!
>
> Hey wait a minute, you can't get yeast from bread - or can you?

Just make sure you don't cut across the grain.

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2014, 10:36:14 AM11/26/14

"Michael OConnor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message
Thank you. Have you read the other responses yet? :))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

Nov 26, 2014, 3:20:17 PM11/26/14
Sounds like those bars you get from health food stores - only tastier. Ya learn something new every day. Thanks!

dsi1

Nov 26, 2014, 3:22:25 PM11/26/14
On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:18:34 AM UTC-10, Pico Rico wrote:
> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
> > On 11/24/2014 3:12 PM, koko wrote:

> >> She probably used it to make Pruno. Don't ask me how I know these
> >> things. ;-)
> >> http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/how-to-make-prison-wine-how-to-make-pruno
> >> or
> >> http://tinyurl.com/p8fvkzv
> >>
> >> koko
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> >> James Beard
> >>

> > It's all natural and no preservatives!
> >
> > Hey wait a minute, you can't get yeast from bread - or can you?
>
> Just make sure you don't cut across the grain.

I'm beginning to think that prison recipe was a fake! :-)

koko

Nov 26, 2014, 9:38:47 PM11/26/14
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 12:22:19 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Umm not according to my personal experience

dsi1

Nov 26, 2014, 9:58:10 PM11/26/14
I'll take your word for it. What I don't get is how you can get live
yeast cells from bread. I'm not into alcohol of any sort but if I was in
the slammer, I'd probably leave out the breading.

Gary

Nov 27, 2014, 8:26:57 AM11/27/14
dsi1 wrote:

> What I don't get is how you can get live
> yeast cells from bread. I'm not into alcohol of any sort but if I was in
> the slammer, I'd probably leave out the breading.

I've made wine before. Wild yeast is in the air everywhere and the
cooked bread is a catcher's mitt for it.

When trying to make good wine, you use the proper yeast and try to
keep out the wild stuff. If in prison though, any yeast will work.

G. :-D

Brooklyn1

Nov 27, 2014, 2:07:14 PM11/27/14
Gary wrote:

>When trying to make good wine, you use the proper yeast and try to
>keep out the wild stuff. If in prison though, any yeast will work.

Yeah, get an in with the female tier. hehe

dsi1

Nov 27, 2014, 2:42:15 PM11/27/14
On Thursday, November 27, 2014 3:26:57 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > What I don't get is how you can get live
> > yeast cells from bread. I'm not into alcohol of any sort but if I was in
> > the slammer, I'd probably leave out the breading.
>
> I've made wine before. Wild yeast is in the air everywhere and the
> cooked bread is a catcher's mitt for it.

If there's no bread available, a catcher's mitt makes a good substitute.

> When trying to make good wine, you use the proper yeast and try to
> keep out the wild stuff. If in prison though, any yeast will work.

Everybody knows that. :-)