OT HPV Vaccine

Julie Bove

Jul 26, 2016, 10:32:51 PM7/26/16
Am posting this here as there was a fairly recent discussion of it. More bad
news about it.

http://circleofdocs.com/hpv-vaccine-american-college-of-pediatricians-issues-rare-warning-against-vaccine-due-to-premature-ovarian-failure/

jinx the minx

Jul 26, 2016, 11:08:01 PM7/26/16

Nancy Young

Jul 27, 2016, 12:01:10 AM7/27/16
BAZINGA!!

nancy

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:29:28 AM7/27/16

"jinx the minx" <jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I don't think cancer was mentioned in my link. Early menopause was.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 1:29:51 AM7/27/16

"Nancy Young" <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote in message
What does that mean?

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 27, 2016, 6:40:31 AM7/27/16
Not a reliable source. circleofdocs.com is "the online place for everything
chiropractic". Many states do not allow them to prescribe medicines,
which would include vaccines.

Show us the results of a properly conducted double-blind experiment or
at least a good longitudinal study. If you don't know what those terms
mean, you are not qualified to assess the quality of your sources.

Cindy Hamilton

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 27, 2016, 6:52:20 AM7/27/16
You're a very dangerous person when you mix your stupidity with
medical knowledge. 'circle of docs' - just that should tell you what
trash you are reading.

I'll put you in the box with the so-called doctor who proclaimed the
whooping cough vaccine gave kids autism - just remind yourself how
much harm he did.

Is your daughter vaccinated for HPV? No? I am not surprised, feel
bad, very bad if and when she has cancer of the cervix etc. How will
you explain to her then that the 'circle of docs' said!

Nancy Young

Jul 27, 2016, 7:50:03 AM7/27/16
I heard recently how more cancers are caused by HPV and I
thought poor Angela, her mother will not get it for her
because she listens to quacks.

nancy

Sheldon Martin

Jul 27, 2016, 10:20:08 AM7/27/16
Sqwertz brought next idea :
> I don't care WTF y'all are talking about but I know it's an Evil
> thread.
>
> It has no place in a food group. Go get a Facebook account and stop
> trolling here.
>
> 0sw

Why shouldn't you eat your girlfriend's peas?

Because they are herpes.

Happy now?

The Greatest!

Jul 27, 2016, 11:50:45 AM7/27/16
Nancy Young wrote:

> I heard recently how more cancers are caused by HPV

A guy I know is just recovering from a bout of throat cancer, it was apparently caused by HPV...scary!

--
Best
Greg

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 12:01:23 PM7/27/16
Nancy Young wrote:

> I heard recently how more cancers are caused by HPV and I
> thought poor Angela, her mother will not get it for her
> because she listens to quacks.

I do have to side with Julie here though. You don't just run out and get
the newest vaccine until it's proven itself. My daughter never got it.
That's because it wasn't even available then. None of us old people here
got the vaccination and we're all still here.

IMO, it's like the newest version of Windows. Don't just run out and get
it when it's released. Give it some time and let them fix things first.

Anyway, Julie is out of the loop now. They recommend getting the vaccine
while you're young and hopefully haven't had sex yet. Angela is 18 now.
It's her choice, not Julies call.

Nancy Young

Jul 27, 2016, 12:10:49 PM7/27/16
Michael Douglas, too. Considering how widespread this
thing is, I wouldn't want to explain to my kid why I
didn't take steps to prevent their cancer when I could.

nancy

Roy

Jul 27, 2016, 12:17:21 PM7/27/16
For Khrist's sake get LOST...all these bullshit posts complete with lies, innuendo and total bullshit.
What is with you? Are you a complete nut-case?
====

jinx the minx

Jul 27, 2016, 12:18:38 PM7/27/16
I don't think you read either article past the headline.

--
jinx the minx

Roy

Jul 27, 2016, 12:24:17 PM7/27/16
I totally agree Lucretia...these QUACKS are causing great damage. I have a step-daughter who is an anti-VAXXER and it just makes me so angry with her. Logic is something that Julie lacks and it is quite pointless to even contemplate changing her attitude.
====

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 27, 2016, 12:49:39 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 12:02:47 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I heard recently how more cancers are caused by HPV and I
>> thought poor Angela, her mother will not get it for her
>> because she listens to quacks.
>
>I do have to side with Julie here though. You don't just run out and get
>the newest vaccine until it's proven itself. My daughter never got it.
>That's because it wasn't even available then. None of us old people here
>got the vaccination and we're all still here.

No Gary, there are many who might have been here, if they'd had the
chance. There was one poster here too who made reference to the
beginning of her troubles coming from this, not the vaccine.

The vaccine has been in regular use for ten years now, that's more
than a trial.

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 27, 2016, 12:57:25 PM7/27/16
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 09:24:14 -0700 (PDT), Roy <wil...@outlook.com>
wrote:
Well I know you are up there so like me you will remember childhood
days when friends had measles, mumps, chickenpox, scarlet fever,
diptheria, German measles, not to mention the dreaded Polio.

As vaccines came along they saved so many kids and now because todays
parents never experienced what you, I and my kids did, they have these
nutcase ideas. They are slightly safer because still a majority of
the population has been vaccinated, but it is dropping quite fast now,
to whit the measles flurry a couple of years ago.

It makes me angry too that they so carelessly throw away a heaven sent
opportunity for their child. True as Gary pointed out, her daughter
may be past 18 but she still has years to get cancers related to the
lack of the HPV shot. I hope she has enough brain in her bloody head
to feel guilty if Angela gets a cancer, she should.

jinx the minx

Jul 27, 2016, 12:59:11 PM7/27/16
The original article source was The Inquisitr, which is just another "news"
organization a la The National Enquirer. Not to mention, the "American
College of Pediatricians" (60-200 members) is not a reliable source either.
It was founded as a socially conservative, Christian, faith-based
organization set to oppose stances made by the American Academy of
Pediatrics (60,000 members) that it views as harmful. Namely, it was
founded to oppose the adoption of children by gay couples. Know your
source.

--
jinx the minx

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 27, 2016, 1:03:36 PM7/27/16
On 7/27/2016 12:02 PM, Gary wrote:

> I do have to side with Julie here though. You don't just run out and get
> the newest vaccine until it's proven itself. My daughter never got it.
> That's because it wasn't even available then. None of us old people here
> got the vaccination and we're all still here.

Great logic.. People are still alive to they never needed a vaccine.
How about the dead people?

How long should our parents have waited to give is the polio vaccine? I
know people that had and and I'm damned glad my parents were some of the
first to get us vaccinated. Thank you Doctor Salk.

If HPV was available at the time, my kids would have gotten it.

jinx the minx

Jul 27, 2016, 1:05:30 PM7/27/16
Gary also misses the point that cervical cancer is one of the most
treatable cancers if caught early (thanks to the Pap smear) so he's not all
that likely to hear of people dying from cervical cancer, or even talking
about it, since it is mostly a women's private issue. We may all still be
here, but that in no way means some of us haven't been affected.

--
jinx the minx

Nancy Young

Jul 27, 2016, 1:06:29 PM7/27/16
On 7/27/2016 12:17 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 9:50:45 AM UTC-6, The Greatest! wrote:

>> A guy I know is just recovering from a bout of throat cancer, it was apparently caused by HPV...scary!

> For Khrist's sake get LOST...all these bullshit posts complete with lies, innuendo and total bullshit.
> What is with you? Are you a complete nut-case?

Where's the lie here?

http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/infectious-agents/hpv-vaccine-fact-sheet#q2

or

http://tinyurl.com/ja8lo7q

nancy

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 27, 2016, 1:20:24 PM7/27/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 12:01:23 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
> >
> > I heard recently how more cancers are caused by HPV and I
> > thought poor Angela, her mother will not get it for her
> > because she listens to quacks.
>
> I do have to side with Julie here though. You don't just run out and get
> the newest vaccine until it's proven itself.

That's 10 years for the HPV vaccine.

> My daughter never got it.
> That's because it wasn't even available then. None of us old people here
> got the vaccination and we're all still here.

The same could be said for my mother's generation and the polio vaccine,
yet my generation all had the vaccine.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 1:46:06 PM7/27/16
I certainly would have thought about it and investigated. That said, I
remember in the 70's with the Swine Flu and they really needed everyone
to get that vaccination. Tin foil hat for me...no way... Even had a
friend that wouldn't let us into her house that winter unless we had
that shot. As it turned out, I personally never knew anyone that got
the Swine Flu. Now ever since then, it's flu shots every year that
people run out to get. I don't think so. Homey don't play that.

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 1:49:54 PM7/27/16
jinx the minx wrote:

> Gary also misses the point that cervical cancer is one of the most
> treatable cancers if caught early (thanks to the Pap smear) so he's not all
> that likely to hear of people dying from cervical cancer, or even talking
> about it, since it is mostly a women's private issue. We may all still be
> here, but that in no way means some of us haven't been affected.

And as I've stated before. I'll give my opinion. That's what I believe
but I'm always willing to listen to arguments without name-calling. I
don't claim to be a know it all. Make a good argument and I'm listening
and I'm willing to learn. :)

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 27, 2016, 2:03:14 PM7/27/16
I had the Swine Flu and it was terrible. Since then I have always had
a flu shot, originally because of David, my doc pointed out I should
consider him before myself. Starting with the search for a vaccine
for Avian flu, I have been a guinea pig on many flu studies. Never
been hurt and never had flu since the Swine in the mid 70s.

Roy

Jul 27, 2016, 2:10:15 PM7/27/16
Damn, I put that in the wrong posting. Should have been in another one of his other irritating posts.
====

The Greatest!

Jul 27, 2016, 2:20:54 PM7/27/16
Roy wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 11:06:29 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

> > > For Khrist's sake get LOST...all these bullshit posts complete with lies, innuendo and total bullshit.
> > > What is with you? Are you a complete nut-case?
> >
> > Where's the lie here?
> >
> > http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/infectious-agents/hpv-vaccine-fact-sheet#q2
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/ja8lo7q
> >
> > nancy
>
> Damn, I put that in the wrong posting. Should have been in another one of his other irritating posts.
> ====

Got you sputtering again, old man....BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA........!!!!!!!!!

8-P

--
Best
Greg

Nancy Young

Jul 27, 2016, 2:30:04 PM7/27/16
On 7/27/2016 2:10 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 11:06:29 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Where's the lie here?
>>
>> http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/infectious-agents/hpv-vaccine-fact-sheet#q2
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/ja8lo7q

> Damn, I put that in the wrong posting. Should have been in another one of his other irritating posts.

This thread dredged up an ancient memory of a boyfriend mentioning
that oral cancers were on the rise, he heard it on some talk show.
When asked why that was, the doctor on the interview hesitated
and said The new morality.

Whatever, I didn't know it then but they must have been
discussing HPV.

nancy

Dave Smith

Jul 27, 2016, 2:30:41 PM7/27/16
On 2016-07-27 1:47 PM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I certainly would have thought about it and investigated. That said, I
> remember in the 70's with the Swine Flu and they really needed everyone
> to get that vaccination. Tin foil hat for me...no way... Even had a
> friend that wouldn't let us into her house that winter unless we had
> that shot. As it turned out, I personally never knew anyone that got
> the Swine Flu. Now ever since then, it's flu shots every year that
> people run out to get. I don't think so. Homey don't play that.

Think of it as the herd immunity. If enough people get a vaccination it
reduces the chances of encounters with carriers. I don't remember if it
was last year or the year before that there was a big panic to get a flu
shot because of an especially nasty strain that was going around. As it
turned out, there were very few people that caught that serious flu. It
lead some to suggest that the fears had been exaggerated. I am more
inclined to see the vaccine program having been a big success. When I
was a kid we were all vaccinated against polio and small pox and other
heavy duty diseases. Some people may be arguing now that they are no
longer necessary because the diseases are so rare, but they are rare
because of the programs. Stick a bunch of people together in a war torn
nation and there is a good chance that those illnesses will return.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 3:00:27 PM7/27/16

"jinx the minx" <jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I did skim it.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 3:01:20 PM7/27/16

"Nancy Young" <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Our Drs. are not quacks.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 3:04:24 PM7/27/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5798DB27...@att.net...
Heh. Last night at around 9:30, my husband freaked because he couldn't find
her. When he asked me where she was, I said in less than three hours, she
wouldn't be our responsibility any more so it wouldn't matter. Then he
freaked again! I don't sit here and watch her every move. I did know that
she was somewhere in the house, with her headphones on.

Julie Bove

Jul 27, 2016, 3:04:52 PM7/27/16

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
Polio is hardly the same thing as cancer.

jinx the minx

Jul 27, 2016, 3:09:20 PM7/27/16
Julie Bove <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> "jinx the minx" <jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Julie Bove <juli...@frontier.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "jinx the minx" <jinx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I don't think cancer was mentioned in my link. Early menopause was.
>>>

>> I don't think you read either article past the headline.
>
> I did skim it.

Not well enough.

--
jinx the minx

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 27, 2016, 4:34:03 PM7/27/16
They both can be prevented with a vaccine. You are free to do what you
want but I'd go for protection.

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 27, 2016, 5:44:29 PM7/27/16
Oh, so polio is worse than cancer???

Dave Smith

Jul 27, 2016, 5:51:03 PM7/27/16
It is if you get it.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 27, 2016, 8:25:44 PM7/27/16
Ever visit anyone in an iron lung? I was in fifth grade and one of my
friends was in one. Another friend just has surgery as a result of the
aftereffects these many years later. He's been limping for 60+ years.

Both have killed people. You decide witch is worse. How do you want to
die?

Gary

Jul 27, 2016, 10:16:49 PM7/27/16
That's funny. You raised her to be the best she can be. Your lessons are
pretty much done now. She either gets them or not. It *is* a bit hard to
quit being the "in charge" parent though. I've been through that.
Sometimes just letting go is not so easy to do after being in charge for
so many years.

Julie Bove

Jul 28, 2016, 1:30:15 AM7/28/16

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:57991B7B...@att.net...
I think the adult part is just now sinking in. We went to the bank to switch
her account over, only to be told that the age change hasn't taken effect in
the computer yet and we'll have to go back tomorrow. Guy told her she could
come by herself. She begged me to come with her.

Didn't have time today to get her car put in her name. My car was low on
washer fluid and when we opened the hood, we discovered nuts in there. So
off to Les Schwab I went. They took care of both problems for me for no cost
and thankfully they said no wires or anything were damaged.

Then when I got home, there was a note under the door from Terminix telling
me that there was no rat or mouse activity. I just beg to differ. Unless
perhaps it was the squirrels that got my car.

Julie Bove

Jul 28, 2016, 1:31:02 AM7/28/16

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
And I'm not you. We don't get flu shots either.

Julie Bove

Jul 28, 2016, 1:33:49 AM7/28/16

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
I don't know that it's worse but it's usually very disabling. Our old office
manager survived it. She had one very shrunken leg and had trouble walking.
I am not making light of cancer as I know many people who have had it. Some
did die. Others, like my husband, are still living. And not disabled from
it.

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 28, 2016, 6:34:55 AM7/28/16
I have a friend who after she was fully qualified as a paediatric
surgeon had what they now call 'flash back polio' - she had polio as a
child and appeared unharmed but many of them now are getting this. It
makes life a misery, she can't even plan day to day because she
doesn't know what condition she will be in. She had to give up her
practice, a great loss to kids.

Polio isn't the same thing as cancer, that's for sure, they are not
comparable!

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 28, 2016, 6:41:58 AM7/28/16
You really are dim. Polio can paralyze the muscles that handle breathing,
and that can cause death.

I don't want either polio or cancer. If the HPV vaccine had been
available when I was a teenager, I would have gotten it.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 7:14:34 AM7/28/16
wrote in message news:8knjpbdfmof2t9nku...@4ax.com...
===================

My mother had polio as a child and it left her with one leg shorter but it
never stopped her doing anything and she was in nursing nearly all her life.

She made sure I got my vacs for *everything*.

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 28, 2016, 9:04:14 AM7/28/16
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 12:12:38 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I think because the devastation of all these diseases is not evident
to them, they have become overly casual about it and listen to cranks
and people with vested interests in turning them from vaccines. Idiots
one and all.

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 9:21:59 AM7/28/16

wrote:

>My mother had polio as a child and it left her with one leg shorter but it
>never stopped her doing anything and she was in nursing nearly all her
>life.
>
>She made sure I got my vacs for *everything*.
>

>---
>http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I think because the devastation of all these diseases is not evident
to them, they have become overly casual about it and listen to cranks
and people with vested interests in turning them from vaccines. Idiots
one and all.

------------------------------------

It is sad. If their child get a preventable disease ...

--
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Dave Smith

Jul 28, 2016, 9:30:22 AM7/28/16
My wife's cousin has had the same thing happen to her. I didn't even
know that she had had polio has a child. She is now quite disabled as a
result of this recurrence.

> Polio isn't the same thing as cancer, that's for sure, they are not
> comparable!

They are comparable in that they are both dangerous and I would not like
to be diagnosed with either. Many people who contract polio recover.
Some, as you pointed out, suffer from post polio syndrome years after
their initial illness. Some victims are left disabled, and those who are
afflicted with bulbar polio are likely to die without the help of a
respirator (iron lung).

Helpful person

Jul 28, 2016, 9:34:06 AM7/28/16
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 12:01:23 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:

> I do have to side with Julie here though. You don't just run out and get
> the newest vaccine until it's proven itself. My daughter never got it.
> That's because it wasn't even available then. None of us old people here
> got the vaccination and we're all still here.

Tell that to the people who were unable to get the polio vaccine. Sorry you can't as most of them are dead. For some people ignorance (not science) rules.

http://www.richardfisher.com

The Greatest!

Jul 28, 2016, 9:45:00 AM7/28/16
Unlike these two DIMWIT Brit parents, Ms. O....they've been getting a bit of media attention over here:

Meet the Allens, the “Off-Grid” Family That Wants Your Support to Survive

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/07/26/these_off_grid_allen_family_wants_you_to_give_them_100_000.html?wpsrc=nymag

"The first thing the Allens, a British family of four, want you to know about them is that they are followers of something they call off-grid parenting. This includes common, and sometimes questionable, alternative parenting practices such as home-schooling, avoiding vaccinations and modern medicine, co-sleeping, and extended breast-feeding. There are also less common ones, such as “lotus birthing” (letting the placenta and umbilical cord fall off naturally) and avoiding shoes for their children. Still, all this is not enough for the Allens. They yearn for a family life even further off-grid and have hatched a plan that will help them move closer “towards self sustainability and being a bit more free range and less institutionalized.”

The second thing the Allens want you to know about them is that they can’t do this without you. Yes, their master plan for self-sufficiency involves “moving to Costa Rica and buying a big plot of land where we can grow food, and have access to wildlife and nature in it's natural state,” as they explain on their FundMyTravel.com campaign page (accompanied by a must-see video). But in order to make this happen they need $100,000 of your money, which they will pay back by sharing the treasure trove of knowledge they anticipate gaining by living off the land. In the meantime, they’ll continue getting by on housing and child benefits from the government.

Obviously, the fact that they never acknowledge the irony of using an online fundraising campaign to help them become more self-sufficient speaks to their total obliviousness to the potential consequences of their lifestyle choices on their family and the world around them. But does this obliviousness makes them insufferable or insidious? I'll attempt to parse it out.

In the insufferable category we have their Rousseau-light theories about how society is a corruptive force and children do best when they self-educate and self-medicate.* What makes this even more irritating is that they claim this is all natural, without everstopping to think what a subjective, and mutable, concept natural is. Also, it’s not enough for them to be off-grid; they also have to tell everyone about it, on-grid. The Allens are no real-life Captain Fantastic (a story about a family also motivated by narcissism and delusion but wise enough to keep it all within the unit), but just another thirsty couple itching to proselytize their ill-conceived lifestyle to the masses.

But far more troubling than this narcissism and delusion is their decision to not vaccinate their children, which kills, and the way they’ve turned the very lovely experience of parenthood into a performance about parenting. Not only do such rigid parenting philosophies make raising children seem far more fraught than it really is; they also distract parents from the alleged beneficiaries of these philosophies: their kids.

In a recent op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, psychology professor and writer Alison Gopnik argues against parenting, a word and idea that didn’t enter popular consciousness until the 1970s.
“The idea that parents can learn special techniques that will make their children turn out better is ubiquitous in middle-class America—so ubiquitous that it might seem obvious. But this prescriptive picture is fundamentally misguided. It’s the wrong way to understand how parents and children actually think and act, and it’s equally wrong as a vision of how they should think and act,” Gopnik writes.

Instead of focusing on parenting, which involves trying to “achieve a particular outcome,” we should value “being a parent,” Gopnik explains. This involves loving one’s children and giving them a sense of security in response to their needs, instead of following a rule book. The set of orthodoxies proposed by various parenting methods often blind us from our children and everything and everyone else.

To illustrate this point: During a recent appearance on a morning talk show, the Allens’ youngest child, 1-year-old Ostara, walks to the front of the set and urinates in clear view of the camera. It’s hilarious. The Allens defended themselves and claimed that the “nappy leaked.” This might be true, though my experience tells me a puddle formation of that size is highly unlikely unless the diaper hadn’t been changed for a very, very long time. (More plausible is that she wasn’t wearing a diaper at all, and that the Allens were practitioners of “elimination communication,” a diaperless, and dubious, form of potty training beloved by parents of their ilk.) I don’t fault little Ostara for her indiscretion, nor do I fault her parents for the fact that she peed. What I do take issue with is their indifference to the act: Mom keeps on talking, dad and big brother point and laugh instead of going over and helping her. All that matters is their self-sufficiency—well, prattling on about their self-sufficiency—and they don’t care who or what gets pissed on in the process..."

notbob

Jul 28, 2016, 10:04:11 AM7/28/16
On 2016-07-28, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> Ever visit anyone in an iron lung?

Yes.

He was once a champion water skier. This before he was struck down by
full blown polio. This was pre-Salk and I was only 8-9, but knew this
man was left with nothing. He could not breath w/o the help of a
portable iron lung (looked like a giant fiberglass Conquistador
breastplate w/ supporting kitchen-stove-sized machine) and was
completely dependent on everyone around him, for everything! This was
his life until he finally passed. Took a lotta courage to survive
that disease.

I was about eleven when I finally got my first "polio shot". Later,
got the sugar cube. I look back on it and only now do I realize the
importance of that discovery. At that age, I gave polio no more than
a passing thought. Eating a sugar cube was merely a great excuse to
get outta class. Now, I realize the enormity of the bullet I was
lucky enough to dodge. 8|

nb

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 28, 2016, 10:15:26 AM7/28/16
I think in part the stupidity of proudly announcing 'we have never had
shots, even for flu' comes because they didn't see what happened prior
to the shots. For the time being they will probably be okay, though
that's doubtful in the HPV case, but as the proportion of unvaccinated
increases, they better watch out. They haven't entirely eliminated
polio in Pakistan, anytime it could sweep round again in NA, to late
then to get the shot or cube, takes time for the antibodies to grow.

In Pakistan the Taliban spread rumours that the ngo's giving away free
vaccines to the babies were really sterilising the babies. So mums
stopped vaccinating and within no time, outbreaks. Only winners were
those already vaccinated.

Gary

Jul 28, 2016, 10:33:57 AM7/28/16
lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> Polio isn't the same thing as cancer, that's for sure, they are not
> comparable!

Polio was before my time. I had the sugar cube vaccinations when I was
young. Sounds like a very horrible disease though if it haunts you all
your life. Had an old woman friend and she always talked about her
post-polio syndrome.

Speaking of polio. I saw a trivia thing this morning.
FDR had it but anyway...the trivia is:

On this day 73 days ago -
July 28, 1943
President Franklin D Roosevelt announces end of coffee rationing in US

I guess all usain adults were happy about that.

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 10:36:07 AM7/28/16
"The Greatest!" wrote in message

Oh dear! No, this is the first I've heard of them! What a mess. Well
they'll get nowt from me. Let them work for it the same way we had to. The
flipping cheek of it!!! They want everyone else to pay for their life
style! Pfpfpfpff

I can remember many years ago, a doctor allowed his children to absolutely
*anything*. If memory serves they even pulled down part of his house and
tried to build something different. It is time some people grew up and
learned to be parents!

Bonkers all!!!

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 28, 2016, 10:50:19 AM7/28/16
1943?? Jeez the war hadn't even ended in Europe then!

Dave Smith

Jul 28, 2016, 10:55:42 AM7/28/16
On 2016-07-28 10:04 AM, notbob wrote:

> He was once a champion water skier. This before he was struck down by
> full blown polio. This was pre-Salk and I was only 8-9, but knew this
> man was left with nothing. He could not breath w/o the help of a
> portable iron lung (looked like a giant fiberglass Conquistador
> breastplate w/ supporting kitchen-stove-sized machine) and was
> completely dependent on everyone around him, for everything! This was
> his life until he finally passed. Took a lotta courage to survive
> that disease.
>
> I was about eleven when I finally got my first "polio shot". Later,
> got the sugar cube. I look back on it and only now do I realize the
> importance of that discovery. At that age, I gave polio no more than
> a passing thought. Eating a sugar cube was merely a great excuse to
> get outta class. Now, I realize the enormity of the bullet I was
> lucky enough to dodge. 8|

I started school in 1955 and there were a couple kids in our school who
wore leg braces. They were a little older than I was. It was not
uncommon to see kids with one or two leg braces. We got the vaccine and
I don't remember seeing any younger kids with braces or hearing about
kids getting polio.

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 28, 2016, 11:24:14 AM7/28/16

"Gary" wrote in message news:5798DB27...@att.net...

.> None of us old people here
>got the vaccination and we're all still here.

No we aren't. That's total bullshit. Plenty have died. Are you not aware
that people die from cervical cancer?

FFS, Gary, you've gone round the bend. Get laid now. Or at least get the
blood flow to your brain checked.

Cheri

Jul 28, 2016, 11:50:49 AM7/28/16

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I can remember many years ago, a doctor allowed his children to absolutely
> *anything*. If memory serves they even pulled down part of his house and
> tried to build something different. It is time some people grew up and
> learned to be parents!
>
> Bonkers all!!!

And they are the extremely lazy parents that "allow their kids to be free
spirits with no boundaries" rather than take the time and energy to raise
them to be decent citizens, and then they turn them loose on society.

Cheri

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 12:02:23 PM7/28/16
"Cheri" wrote in message news:nnd9j...@news4.newsguy.com...
-----------------------

Yes. They are a disgrace and ought not be allowed to have children.

---
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 28, 2016, 12:12:18 PM7/28/16

wrote in message news:9k0kpb94tvkaq7le7...@4ax.com...

>I think because the devastation of all these diseases is not evident
>to them, they have become overly casual about it and listen to cranks
>and people with vested interests in turning them from vaccines. Idiots
>one and all.

My parents were scared to death of polio. I was vaccinated at first
opportunity... back then it was done by shots, not sugar cubes. The vaccine
was enormously successful. I bet even genius Gary the antivaxxer was
vaccinated.

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 28, 2016, 12:15:05 PM7/28/16

"Helpful person" wrote in message

>Tell that to the people who were unable to get the polio vaccine. Sorry
>you can't as most of >them are dead. For some people ignorance (not
>science) rules.

>http://www.richardfisher.com

Ugh. Science bad. Scare Mongo. Ugh.

Gary

Jul 28, 2016, 1:21:03 PM7/28/16
lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >On this day 73 years ago -

> >July 28, 1943
> >President Franklin D Roosevelt announces end of coffee rationing in US
> >
> >I guess all usain adults were happy about that.
>
> 1943?? Jeez the war hadn't even ended in Europe then!

I was wondering about that myself.

Taxed and Spent

Jul 28, 2016, 1:29:07 PM7/28/16
Well, much of the cargo ship sinkings had stopped (not voluntarily,
thanks Navies!), not only from South America to the US, but from the US
to Europe. So, not as much lost cargo.

dsi1

Jul 28, 2016, 1:44:56 PM7/28/16
Coffee rationing in the US did not last very long - a little over a year. People had to make do with about half what they were used to. Using a weaker brew and extenders, like chicory, were common.

https://books.google.com/books?id=RkEEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA2&pg=PA64&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=true

S Viemeister

Jul 28, 2016, 2:18:39 PM7/28/16
It seems that US coffee rationing only lasted for 8 months.

The Greatest!

Jul 28, 2016, 2:36:55 PM7/28/16
I LOVE that the old _Life_ magazines are online. I quickly perused this November 1943 issue during lunch and was reminded about gas rationing, "George Washington Slept Here", thrifty wartime lighting with GE Mazda Lamps, battles won in Stalingrad and the Solomons, "Life Goes to a Soviet Embassy Reception", the very cool graphics of a Kool cigarette ad, and LOTS of ads for whiskey...

All in all, we had it very good during WWII...lots of ads reminding us of rationing, but plenty also encouraging consumption.

--
Best
Greg

dsi1

Jul 28, 2016, 2:41:24 PM7/28/16
Coffee rationing in the US was in effect from November 29, 1942 to July 28,1943. You are correct. Sorry about that.

dsi1

Jul 28, 2016, 2:45:19 PM7/28/16
What is interesting is that selling stuff was pretty much the same for my generation as it was for my dad's - probably his dad too. Old school advertising!

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 28, 2016, 4:06:59 PM7/28/16
On 7/28/2016 9:44 AM, The Greatest! wrote:

> Meet the Allens, the “Off-Grid” Family That Wants Your Support to Survive
>
> http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/07/26/these_off_grid_allen_family_wants_you_to_give_them_100_000.html?wpsrc=nymag

> The second thing the Allens want you to know about them is that they can’t do this without you. Yes, their master plan for self-sufficiency involves “moving to Costa Rica and buying a big plot of land where we can grow food, and have access to wildlife and nature in it's natural state,” as they explain on their FundMyTravel.com campaign page (accompanied by a must-see video). But in order to make this happen they need $100,000 of your money, which they will pay back by sharing the treasure trove of knowledge they anticipate gaining by living off the land. In the meantime, they’ll continue getting by on housing and child benefits from the government.

I want to go off the grid too. If you send me $100,000 I promise you
will never hear from me again. I accept cash or bank checks.

lucreti...@fl.it

Jul 28, 2016, 4:51:13 PM7/28/16
Jeez a simple e-transfer will do!

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2016, 5:00:36 PM7/28/16
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
-------------------------

Me too!!!

--
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Julie Bove

Jul 28, 2016, 5:58:22 PM7/28/16

> wrote in message news:8knjpbdfmof2t9nku...@4ax.com...
>
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 20:25:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:
>
>>On 7/27/2016 5:44 PM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>> Oh, so polio is worse than cancer???
>>>

>>Ever visit anyone in an iron lung? I was in fifth grade and one of my
>>friends was in one. Another friend just has surgery as a result of the
>>aftereffects these many years later. He's been limping for 60+ years.
>>
>>Both have killed people. You decide witch is worse. How do you want to
>>die?
>
> I have a friend who after she was fully qualified as a paediatric
> surgeon had what they now call 'flash back polio' - she had polio as a
> child and appeared unharmed but many of them now are getting this. It
> makes life a misery, she can't even plan day to day because she
> doesn't know what condition she will be in. She had to give up her
> practice, a great loss to kids.
>
> Polio isn't the same thing as cancer, that's for sure, they are not
> comparable!
>
> ===================
>
> My mother had polio as a child and it left her with one leg shorter but it
> never stopped her doing anything and she was in nursing nearly all her
> life.
>
> She made sure I got my vacs for *everything*.

This one isn't required or even suggested.

Cheryl

Jul 29, 2016, 1:09:03 AM7/29/16
On 7/27/2016 12:02 PM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> I heard recently how more cancers are caused by HPV and I
>> thought poor Angela, her mother will not get it for her
>> because she listens to quacks.
>
> I do have to side with Julie here though. You don't just run out and get
> the newest vaccine until it's proven itself. My daughter never got it.
> That's because it wasn't even available then. None of us old people here
> got the vaccination and we're all still here.
>
> IMO, it's like the newest version of Windows. Don't just run out and get
> it when it's released. Give it some time and let them fix things first.
>
> Anyway, Julie is out of the loop now. They recommend getting the vaccine
> while you're young and hopefully haven't had sex yet. Angela is 18 now.
> It's her choice, not Julies call.

There are a lot of things that were done by the medical community back
before they knew better. I know of two that hit home closely.

One was an early HRT therapy for menopause (my poor mom when she had to
stop the therapy!), and before then, medication to help prevent
miscarriage, DES or something like that. My mom took that and medicine
has found that children conceived when mom was on this therapy have
higher risk of certain cancers, and even worse problems in the second
generation or something in males. Being a person who is at risk I really
should know more but hey, we'll all die of something.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

Ophelia

Jul 29, 2016, 3:57:20 AM7/29/16
"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:nndv5q$a6o$1...@dont-email.me...
---------------------------------

I don't know this one. It is new to me

--
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 29, 2016, 5:14:36 AM7/29/16
In article <nnb0kh$su0$1...@dont-email.me>, Julie Bove
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> Polio is hardly the same thing as cancer.

Indeed. First there were a myriad of diseases that killed us from youth
to old age. Then there were diabetes, tuberculosis, polio and scarlet
fever that would kill or cripple us. Then there was and is heart
disease, and be thankful for blood pressure medication, or some of us
posting here would be dead already. Last, there is cancer that kills
us, because all those other diseases didn't, and we lived long enough
to get cancer. Some of us unfortunately die early from it. Nature
doesn't care.

leo

Ophelia

Jul 29, 2016, 5:38:24 AM7/29/16
"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
-----------------------

All a matter of luck I suppose.

--
http;//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Brooklyn1

Jul 29, 2016, 12:58:10 PM7/29/16
lucretiaborgia wrote:
At today's prices I doubt a measly 100 Gs will last six months living
off the grid.

The Greatest!

Jul 29, 2016, 1:04:59 PM7/29/16
Well, it's not like those creeps are spending money on diapers or medical bills, lol...

It's CRINGEABLE even reading that story, the TOP goal of everyone should be SELF - SUFFICIENCY, not sponging offa others...it's obvious the "parents" are mentally ill, i don't understand why the child welfare authorities don't scoop those kids right up, citng "child neglect" as the cause for action.

--
Best
Greg

Danny

Jul 29, 2016, 2:11:28 PM7/29/16

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> At today's prices I doubt a measly 100 Gs will last six months living
> off the grid.

I wonder what the cost of living is for the average scumbag "professional"
tenant ...

Jeßus

Jul 29, 2016, 3:08:28 PM7/29/16
LOL, that makes sense.

Nancy2

Jul 31, 2016, 3:26:33 PM7/31/16
Cheryl...except Burt Wolf, the PBS travel/food personality. He has said he wants
to die in perfect health. LOL.

N.

graham

Jul 31, 2016, 7:12:56 PM7/31/16
Spike Milligan wanted: "I told them I was ill" on his headstone but the
Irish papist authorities wouldn't allow it. So it was engraved in Gaelic
instead.
Graham

col...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2016, 7:46:27 PM7/31/16
I used to add chicory to coffee but never did try chicory by itself.

Roy

Aug 9, 2016, 3:07:11 PM8/9/16
Roy wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 11:06:29 AM UTC-6, Nancy Young wrote:

> > > For Khrist's sake get LOST...all these bullshit posts complete with lies, innuendo and total bullshit.
> > > What is with you? Are you a complete nut-case?
> >
> > Where's the lie here?
> >
> > http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/infectious-agents/hpv-vaccine-fact-sheet#q2
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/ja8lo7q
> >
> > nancy
>
> Damn, I put that in the wrong posting. Should have been in another one of his other irritating posts.
> ====

Oh, my apologies! I am posting in the wrong thread...!!!

Roy

Aug 9, 2016, 3:31:30 PM8/9/16
Apology accepted you turkey buzzard.
====

dsi1

Aug 9, 2016, 3:53:56 PM8/9/16
On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 4:32:51 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> Am posting this here as there was a fairly recent discussion of it. More bad
> news about it.
>
> http://circleofdocs.com/hpv-vaccine-american-college-of-pediatricians-issues-rare-warning-against-vaccine-due-to-premature-ovarian-failure/

Here's some really bad news. I don't think you have to worry about it - yet.

http://khon2.com/2016/08/08/health-officials-spread-thin-with-dengue-zika-hepatitis-a-in-hawaii/

The Greatest!

Aug 10, 2016, 10:20:14 AM8/10/16
Roy blathers:
"Roy", did anyone ever tell you that you are most definitely a pvssy - mouthed motherfvcker...????

--
Best
Greg

Roy

Aug 10, 2016, 12:35:03 PM8/10/16
No, nobody has told me that until today. I would say that you are not good at spelling but we can't all be good spellers.
While in school, I excelled at spelling.

Bye for now.
====

Brooklyn1

Aug 10, 2016, 4:50:37 PM8/10/16
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:20:09 -0700 (PDT), "The Greatest!"
<gregorymorr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Roy blathers:

>> > Oh, my apologies! I am posting in the wrong thread...!!!
>>
>> Apology accepted you turkey buzzard.
>
>"Roy", did anyone ever tell you that you are most definitely a pvssy - mouthed motherfvcker...????

In flight a turkey buzzard (vulture) is a majestic bird.
http://pestproducts.com/turkey-vulture.htm

The Greatest!

Aug 11, 2016, 1:46:02 PM8/11/16
"The MAGNIFICENT turkey vulture SWOOPS down and picks Roy's eyes out...rendering the hapless Roy even MORE useless than he already is...!!!"

--
Best
Greg