Poverty in Britain - Why are millions of Brits so broke?

Judith Latham

Jul 29, 2023, 12:30:49 AM7/29/23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK68yyrKUOA

2,658,610 views Jul 20, 2023 #dwdocumentary #documentary #britain
Britain has a historically low unemployment rate of 3.6%. Yet poverty
levels are breaking all records. It’s a paradoxical situation: almost
15 million Britons are considered poor these days, although there’s
almost full employment. The reason: inflation and high energy costs.

Galloping inflation and a dramatic spike in energy costs in recent
months are forcing millions of Britons into poverty. Wages fluctuate
in an "uberized” working world of precarious employment conditions.
Over the past 10 years, beginning with David Cameron, the government
has scaled back its support to vulnerable members of society. The
result: reduced life expectancy. Disadvantaged Britons are dying 10
years sooner than their wealthier compatriots - victims of what’s
become known as the "shit life syndrome” - a life marked by poor
living conditions, disease and addiction.

The documentary profiles people who have a job but can still afford
nothing - from Blackpool in the west, to Ashton-under-Lyne and
Cumbria, on the border with Scotland.

#documentary #dwdocumentary #poverty #britain

Brian Gaff

Jul 29, 2023, 7:01:09 AM7/29/23
Even without reading it, its hardly rocket science with the wealth of the
country mostly in the hands of the 2 percent, the rest is spread thinly
Investors need to get a moral transplant and stop just hanging on to the
wealth and put it to proper uses by paying the workers more.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Judith Latham" <judith...@gmx.com> wrote in message

Bruce

Jul 29, 2023, 7:29:10 AM7/29/23
On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 12:00:58 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
<brian...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Even without reading it, its hardly rocket science with the wealth of the
>country mostly in the hands of the 2 percent, the rest is spread thinly
>Investors need to get a moral transplant and stop just hanging on to the
>wealth and put it to proper uses by paying the workers more.
> Brian

Oh, the joys of unbridled capitalism.

alan_m

Jul 29, 2023, 7:42:00 AM7/29/23
On 29/07/2023 12:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Even without reading it, its hardly rocket science with the wealth of the
> country mostly in the hands of the 2 percent, the rest is spread thinly
> Investors need to get a moral transplant and stop just hanging on to the
> wealth and put it to proper uses by paying the workers more.

The investors are likely to be your pension fund or pension provider.

Bruce

Jul 29, 2023, 7:47:14 AM7/29/23
On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 11:45:29 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>We were told that Brexit would fix it.

It doesn't seem to pay off much yet.

The Natural Philosopher

Jul 29, 2023, 12:28:08 PM7/29/23
Indeed. If you have a pension, you are already capitalist scum.

dsi1

Jul 29, 2023, 4:55:27 PM7/29/23
The same is happening in America. Unfortunately, most Americans seem to be totally unaware of what's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WLuuCM6Ej0

Hank Rogers

Jul 29, 2023, 5:09:25 PM7/29/23
But da hawayans know. And da asians know. Hell everybody knows
except people on da mainland.

dsi1

Jul 29, 2023, 5:24:36 PM7/29/23
On Saturday, July 29, 2023 at 6:28:08 AM UTC-10, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> Microsoft : the best reason to go to Linux that ever existed.

Indeed, Microsoft/Intel scammed the world for decades. Rest assured that all my computers/phones operate on Linux.

Hank Rogers

Jul 29, 2023, 7:38:29 PM7/29/23
It is wonderful that you got rid of microsoft and intel, Tojo.

But yoose are still stuck sucking google's ass?

Are all Hiwayans google ass lickers?

Ed P

Jul 29, 2023, 9:12:55 PM7/29/23
You are correct. That said, Windows does everything I need and came on
the computer. Never had any incentive to change to anything else.

My phone is Ardroid so I guess I use a form of Linux there.

Bruce

Jul 29, 2023, 10:30:04 PM7/29/23
All big companies are sociopathic and obsessed with profit. It's not
as if dsi1's beloved Google is any better than Microsoft.

dsi1

Jul 30, 2023, 12:07:53 AM7/30/23
I never said that my beloved Google was better than Microsoft. OTOH, my beloved Google is indeed better than your beloved Microsoft/Windows. Microsoft has mostly failed to create an OS for the most used computers in the world - handheld devices. Bing has been unable to compete with Alphabet in the search/advertising industry. Microsoft pretty much let it all slip through they fingers. These days, Microsoft is mostly in the Cloud Computing business. It's very profitable in that field of endeavor.
Your beloved Microsoft/Windows is on the wane. That's the breaks. Of course Alphabet will someday fade away too. My guess is that Google search is inferior/redundant in a world of AI chatbots so quit your whining and man up.

dsi1

Jul 30, 2023, 12:08:00 AM7/30/23
It was the perfect scam: Microsoft came up with OS'es that required faster and more powerful CPUs and Intel was happy to provide for that. This went on for decades, it's going on still. Luckily, it's possible for most people to ditch MS completely.
The computers/phones that I use are just wonderful. I can: make payments with my phone, monitor my blood-glucose levels, take and edit photos, I can order anything I desire on my phone, learn how to fix stuff, find out if there's cops in the roads ahead, control my TV et al. The computers these days are far beyond anything that anyone could have imagined 20 years ago.

Bruce

Jul 30, 2023, 12:38:38 AM7/30/23
And why am I supposed to care about these things? These are your
hangups, not mine.

dsi1

Jul 30, 2023, 12:43:20 AM7/30/23
Beats me. Why do you care about "my beloved" Google? Just to clarify, simplify, and put it into words that you might have a chance of comprehending, It's not "my" Google, nor is it "beloved" Google. It's just Google - silly boy.

Bruce

Jul 30, 2023, 12:52:23 AM7/30/23
On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:43:16 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
You're like a guy on a street corner, yelling at everybody that
Microsoft is bad and Google is good. There was a guy like that in my
home town. He had a very strong opinion about NATO. I can't remember
of he was for or against. He was always yelling and carrying a sign
with big letters. I don't think he convinced many people :)

jon

Jul 30, 2023, 2:39:22 AM7/30/23

"The Natural Philosopher" <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
What is a pension.?

Bruce

Jul 30, 2023, 4:25:25 AM7/30/23
No trolling, please.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 30, 2023, 5:15:34 AM7/30/23
I'd be more inclined to ask if T knows what a capitalist is.

A lot of people have pensions, mainly from working in the public
sector.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jul 30, 2023, 5:33:49 AM7/30/23
On Sun, 30 Jul 2023 09:15:28 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2023-07-30, jon <j...@nospam.cn> wrote:
>>
>> "The Natural Philosopher" <t...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Indeed. If you have a pension, you are already capitalist scum.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Microsoft : the best reason to go to Linux that ever existed.
>>>

>> What is a pension.?
>
>I'd be more inclined to ask if T knows what a capitalist is.

Didn't Janet UK once have a pension that got closed down for hygiene
reasons?

Ralph Mowery

Jul 30, 2023, 9:51:59 AM7/30/23
In article <QSpxM.161745$qnnb....@fx11.iad>, hami...@invalid.com
says...

> A lot of people have pensions, mainly from working in the public
> sector.

I worked in a factory that made polyester material. They had a good
pension when I started. As it was bought out several times my pension
was cut in almost half but some were bought out as those people had not
worked long enough to get vested in the pension. The last ones hired did
not get any pension at all.

Now the 401k plan is the way to go if the company matches funds as long
as it is not in the company stock like Enron was. The other way is the
individual IRA as you are in total control of your funds, not counting
on the government regulations.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig@MarthaStewart.GoodThing

Jul 30, 2023, 12:21:13 PM7/30/23
Can the King restore coal mining? Japan has an ammonia injection scheme for clean coal.

Bob F

Jul 31, 2023, 12:00:04 AM7/31/23
They used to have them in the private sector too, until the capitalist
hucksters figured out how to steal that too.

alan_m

Jul 31, 2023, 2:10:38 AM7/31/23
On 31/07/2023 04:59, Bob F wrote:

> They used to have them in the private sector too, until the capitalist
> hucksters figured out how to steal that too.

I have a decent private sector pension! It may have been more if Gordon
Brown hadn't decide that the funds were an easy target for more taxation.

Rod Speed

Jul 31, 2023, 9:28:48 PM7/31/23
Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote

> Even without reading it, its hardly rocket science with the wealth of the
> country mostly in the hands of the 2 percent,

BULLSHIT.

> the rest is spread thinly

More bullshit and nothing to do with poverty.

> Investors need to get a moral transplant and stop just hanging on to
> the
> wealth and put it to proper uses by paying the workers more.

More bullshit and nothing to do with poverty.

Rod Speed

Jul 31, 2023, 9:29:42 PM7/31/23
It isnt unbridled, stupid.

Rod Speed

Jul 31, 2023, 9:30:54 PM7/31/23
On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:45:29 +1000, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Am 29/07/2023 um 11:29 schrieb Bruce:
> We were told that Brexit would fix it.

No one ever said anything even remotely like that.

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 10:09:44 PM7/31/23
It's relatively unbridled in the UK, but not as bad as the US. What
shall I call you for disagreeing with me? Would dumbass be fun?

Bruce

Jul 31, 2023, 10:14:04 PM7/31/23
Brexit was always only going to be good for retirees. And even though
the UK is out of the EU, their monarchy's still part German. Jawohl,
Your Highness!

S Viemeister

Aug 1, 2023, 3:11:33 AM8/1/23
It's Rod Speed.
He's an idiot, constantly changing his posting name to evade killfiles.
Ignore him.

Ian Jackson

Aug 1, 2023, 3:13:14 AM8/1/23
In message <op.18y44...@pvr2.lan>, Rod Speed
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> writes
While no one claimed that Brexit would end poverty, we were certainly
assured that many things would become cheaper. I recall Jacob Rees-Mogg
specifically mentioning shoes and food. Many also voted to leave the EU
as a protest against the Tory's policy of austerity (required to counter
the ongoing effects of the 2008 crash in the economy).
--
Ian
Aims and ambitions are neither attainments nor achievements

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 3:27:23 AM8/1/23
Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

Peeler

Aug 1, 2023, 3:57:21 AM8/1/23
On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:30:33 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

Peeler

Aug 1, 2023, 3:58:14 AM8/1/23
On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:29:21 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Pomegranate Bastard addressing the trolling senile cretin from Oz:
"Surely you can find an Australian group to pollute rather than posting
your unwanted guff here."
MID: <c1pqvgte5ldlo1rn3...@4ax.com>

Peeler

Aug 1, 2023, 3:59:21 AM8/1/23
On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:28:25 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Tim+ about trolling Rodent Speed:
He is by far the most persistent troll who seems to be able to get under the
skin of folk who really should know better. Since when did arguing with a
troll ever achieve anything (beyond giving the troll pleasure)?
MID: <1421057667.659518815.743...@news.individual.net>

jon

Aug 1, 2023, 6:25:57 AM8/1/23
But not anticipating the Russia Ukraine conflict.

Max Demian

Aug 1, 2023, 6:47:29 AM8/1/23
It was to stop those pesky Europeans from interfering with our laws and
economy.

--
Max Demian

Dave Smith

Aug 1, 2023, 9:50:25 AM8/1/23
You have to feel some pity for those people who are so pathetic that
they have to keep nymshifting to avoid the filters they know they are
in. It is an admission to themselves that they are complete losers.

JNugent

Aug 1, 2023, 12:57:32 PM8/1/23
> But not anticipating the Russia Ukraine conflict...

...or the Covid-19 pandemic and crisis.

Ian Jackson

Aug 1, 2023, 4:46:38 PM8/1/23
In message <uaanrq$3ks6v$1...@dont-email.me>, Max Demian
<max_d...@bigfoot.com> writes
Wasn't top of the list to keep the EUians from immigrating here to steal
our jobs and put UK workers out of work?

SteveW

Aug 1, 2023, 5:12:08 PM8/1/23
That was certainly part of my reasoning. I am in a very good position
where such immigration makes no difference to my employment and income
(towards the high end of the 9th decile), but I did want to stop those
at the lower end from being undercut by mass immigration from Eastern
Europe.

Rod Speed

Aug 1, 2023, 9:10:45 PM8/1/23
On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 12:09:32 +1000, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:29:21 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:29:03 +1000, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Oh, the joys of unbridled capitalism.
>>
>> It isnt unbridled, stupid.

> It's relatively unbridled in the UK,

BULLSHIT. Even the UK did eventually get a minimum wage.

> but not as bad as the US.

More bullshit. The US has their anti trust law. The stupid poms don't.

Rod Speed

Aug 1, 2023, 9:14:50 PM8/1/23
On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 12:13:56 +1000, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:30:33 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:45:29 +1000, Ottavio Caruso
>> <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> We were told that Brexit would fix it.
>>
>> No one ever said anything even remotely like that.
>
> Brexit was always only going to be good for retirees.

More utterly mindless bullshit. Its also good for those
who no longer have to compete with the dregs of the
EU who have noticed that even minimum wage jobs in
the UK pay FAR better than where they are coming from.

> And even though
> the UK is out of the EU, their monarchy's still part German. Jawohl,
> Your Highness!

Those stupid parasite get no say what so ever on anything at
all anymore, except for how their stupid flunkys must grovel.

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 9:17:03 PM8/1/23
On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:10:18 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 12:09:32 +1000, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:29:21 +1000, "Rod Speed"
>> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It isnt unbridled, stupid.
>
>> It's relatively unbridled in the UK,
>
>BULLSHIT. Even the UK did eventually get a minimum wage.

Lol, you must be proud.

>> but not as bad as the US.
>
>More bullshit. The US has their anti trust law. The stupid poms don't.

The US is struggling to meat certain standards of civilisation that
are common in Europe.

Rod Speed

Aug 1, 2023, 9:18:53 PM8/1/23
On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 17:13:11 +1000, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <op.18y44...@pvr2.lan>, Rod Speed
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> writes
>> On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 21:45:29 +1000, Ottavio Caruso
>> <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> We were told that Brexit would fix it.
>>
>> No one ever said anything even remotely like that.
>
> While no one claimed that Brexit would end poverty, we were certainly
> assured that many things would become cheaper.

And they have, most obviously with imports from
non EU countrys once tariffs no longer apply.

> I recall Jacob Rees-Mogg specifically mentioning shoes and food.

He was right about food that comes from non EU countrys
which previously had stupid tariffs applied to them.

> Many also voted to leave the EU as a protest against the Tory's policy
> of austerity (required to counter the ongoing effects of the 2008 crash
> in the economy).

Actually to pay for the cost of avoiding the entire economy imploding
spectacularly.

Rod Speed

Aug 1, 2023, 9:20:30 PM8/1/23
Yes, and that worked very well indeed.

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 9:23:37 PM8/1/23
On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:14:23 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 12:13:56 +1000, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Brexit was always only going to be good for retirees.
>
>More utterly mindless bullshit. Its also good for those
>who no longer have to compete with the dregs of the
>EU who have noticed that even minimum wage jobs in
>the UK pay FAR better than where they are coming from.

Are you proud that the minimum wage in the UK is higher than in
Eastern Europe? :) If you really want to be proud, compare to Africa!

>> And even though
>> the UK is out of the EU, their monarchy's still part German. Jawohl,
>> Your Highness!
>
>Those stupid parasite get no say what so ever on anything at
>all anymore, except for how their stupid flunkys must grovel.

Cheating King Charles is still your head of state.

Rod Speed

Aug 1, 2023, 9:25:31 PM8/1/23
Nope, not my country, stupid.

In fact my country was one of the first in the entire
fucking world to have one, long before you lot did.

>>> but not as bad as the US.

>> More bullshit. The US has their anti trust law. The stupid poms don't.

> The US is struggling to meat certain standards of civilisation that
> are common in Europe.

Irrelevant to your stupid lie about unbridled capitalism.

Bruce

Aug 1, 2023, 9:30:06 PM8/1/23
On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:25:05 +1000, "Rod Speed"
If you're from the US, I can understand why you're in awe of the UK.

>In fact my country was one of the first in the entire
>fucking world to have one, long before you lot did.

>>> More bullshit. The US has their anti trust law. The stupid poms don't.
>
>> The US is struggling to meat certain standards of civilisation that
>> are common in Europe.
>
>Irrelevant to your stupid lie about unbridled capitalism.

Unbridled capitalism is very uncivilised.

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 1, 2023, 10:44:50 PM8/1/23
At least its not criminal fraudster Ursula Vonda Liar.

The Natural Philosopher

Aug 1, 2023, 10:45:42 PM8/1/23
Only in the minds of the BBC and the Guardian.

Rod Speed

Aug 1, 2023, 11:04:17 PM8/1/23
Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote

>>> Brexit was always only going to be good for retirees.

>> More utterly mindless bullshit. Its also good for those
>> who no longer have to compete with the dregs of the
>> EU who have noticed that even minimum wage jobs in
>> the UK pay FAR better than where they are coming from.

> Are you proud that the minimum wage in the UK is higher than in
> Eastern Europe? :)

Nope, couldnt care less in fact.

> If you really want to be proud, compare to Africa!

Pride is a sin, stupid.

>>> And even though
>>> the UK is out of the EU, their monarchy's still part German. Jawohl,
>>> Your Highness!

>> Those stupid parasites get no say what so ever on anything at
>> all anymore, except for how their stupid flunkys must grovel.

> Cheating King Charles is still your head of state.

Nope, dope. Not my country, stupid.

Rod Speed

Aug 1, 2023, 11:11:14 PM8/1/23
I'm not, stupid.

> I can understand why you're in awe of the UK.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed drunken psychotic fantays.

>> In fact my country was one of the first in the entire
>> fucking world to have one, long before you lot did.

>>> The US is struggling to meat certain standards of civilisation that
>>> are common in Europe.
>>
>> Irrelevant to your stupid lie about unbridled capitalism.

> Unbridled capitalism is very uncivilised.

It doesnt happen anywhere at all, not even in HongKong before it was
handed back to china, or before the poms showed up in north america.

S Viemeister

Aug 2, 2023, 3:44:57 AM8/2/23
On 02/08/2023 02:29, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:25:05 +1000, "Rod Speed"
> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:16:54 +1000, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Lol, you must be proud.
>>
>> Nope, not my country, stupid.
>
> If you're from the US, I can understand why you're in awe of the UK.

He's from your part of the world.

Peeler

Aug 2, 2023, 3:55:54 AM8/2/23
On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:14:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"

Peeler

Aug 2, 2023, 3:56:30 AM8/2/23
On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 13:03:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

MrTu...@down.the.farm about senile Rodent Speed:
MID: <ps10v9$uo2$1...@gioia.aioe.org>

Peeler

Aug 2, 2023, 3:57:02 AM8/2/23
On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:20:05 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:

Peeler

Aug 2, 2023, 3:58:58 AM8/2/23
On Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:18:26 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bruce

Aug 2, 2023, 3:59:20 AM8/2/23
Oh, ok :)

Peeler

Aug 2, 2023, 4:00:11 AM8/2/23
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/rod-speed-faq.2973853/

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real