Chicken in MW?

KenK

Nov 25, 2015, 11:13:36 AM11/25/15
Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.

TIA

Hidalgo

Nov 25, 2015, 11:27:09 AM11/25/15
KenK wrote:
> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
> and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
> fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
> faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.
>
> TIA

Skin them.

Cut into long strips.

Marinate in peanut satay sauce.

Skewer and grill them.

sf

Nov 25, 2015, 12:36:32 PM11/25/15
On 25 Nov 2015 16:13:31 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
> and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
> fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
> faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.

The very thought of microwaved chicken makes me shudder, Ken.

--

sf

Gary

Nov 25, 2015, 1:42:35 PM11/25/15
KenK wrote:

> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
> and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
> fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
> faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.

I do that often with a piece or two of chicken. Microwave in small
steps and check it each time. Very quick to go from frozen solid to
perfectly done.

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 25, 2015, 2:03:25 PM11/25/15
I've actually had some that was good. Skinless when served. It has
been a while so I don't recall the technique, but it was done on a lower
power setting.

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:10:25 PM11/25/15
On 11/25/2015 9:13 AM, KenK wrote:
> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
> and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
> fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
> faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.
>
> TIAD

"My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me."

Casa Boner, Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:37:53 -0600
--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:12:26 PM11/25/15

tert in seattle

Nov 25, 2015, 3:20:05 PM11/25/15
KenK wrote:
> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
> and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
> fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
> faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.
>
> TIA

hm I thought this was going to be about chicken in Milwaukee

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:20:46 PM11/25/15

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:23:12 PM11/25/15
On 11/25/2015 11:57 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 25-Nov-2015, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
>> and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
>> fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
>> faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.
>
> Yes, a variety of ways; though many will say not, they simply don't know how
> to do it because it requires more than putting the chicken in the MW and
> hitting full-power for nnn minutes.
>
> There is a great old cookbook, from a PBS series of the same name that aired
> in the 1980's. Microwaves are for Cooking by Donovan Jon Fandre. There are
> 11 pages of chicken/fowl recipes, from Simple Baked Chicken, to Stuffed
> Chicken Breasts, to Captain Country Chicken. You may be able to find a copy
> in a library if in a large city or, as I did, buy it from one of the online
> used book sellers; Allbooks.com is a mega-search engine that will let you
> know which online sellers have it and at what price.
>
> Donovan Fandre has other, later, books on microwave cooking that will also
> be helpful; Real Food Microwave and More Time for Lovin' (since I got my
> microwave oven) are two that I have and can recommend. Since I have been
> retired for a number of years, I no longer cook much (except fish) in the
> microwave; but, when I worked and traveled a lot for work, microwave cooking
> was a big help.

jmcquown

Nov 25, 2015, 3:56:04 PM11/25/15
On 11/25/2015 11:13 AM, KenK wrote:
> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
> and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
> fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
> faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.
>
> TIA

What's your rush? Place the chicken pieces on a plate and sprinkle with
salt, pepper and maybe a little garlic powder. Cover and cook on LOW
until... well, until it's not bloody. Microwaved chicken wouldn't be my
first choice.

Jill

cshenk

Nov 25, 2015, 4:25:32 PM11/25/15
KenK wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides
> frying and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as
> baked or fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to
> prepare it faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.
>
> TIA

Pan frying (not nessesarily oil) is the fast but decent way.

Carol

cshenk

Nov 25, 2015, 4:28:24 PM11/25/15
jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
There's lots of ways to cook though. Chicken isn't optimal there but
with a proper recipe geared to a MW, it might be ok.

Carol

Groupkillas!

Nov 25, 2015, 4:34:05 PM11/25/15
Sqwertz wrote:
> And the product packaging warnings weren't
> obvious enough for ignorant people.

swe...@cluemail.compost
<i6x4dy0h0232$.d...@sqwertz.com>
3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Nancy2

Nov 25, 2015, 4:37:28 PM11/25/15

All microwaves come with recipes, at least in my experience. If you can't
find yours, just go online. I am sure you will find more than you can try in
a month of Sundays.

N.

Groupkilla

Nov 25, 2015, 4:44:38 PM11/25/15
Sqwertz wrote:
> Good shit, eh?
>
> -sw

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Nov 25, 2015, 9:38:10 PM11/25/15
In article <w-SdnbOaj8TVusvL...@giganews.com>, csh...@cox.net
wrote:
>Pan frying (not nessesarily oil) is the fast but decent way.

The microwave, coupled with some aromatic liquid and a tight fitting lid for
the cooking vessel, can poach the heck out of a chicken.
Orlando

Cheri

Nov 26, 2015, 1:15:28 AM11/26/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
I'll go along with that, not that I'm sure others haven't had success with
it, but I never have. I have tried a few times with a microwave frying pan
etc., but it has always been awful.

Cheri

Cheri

Nov 26, 2015, 1:16:30 AM11/26/15

"l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message

> On 25-Nov-2015, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
>> and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
>> fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
>> faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.
>
> Yes, a variety of ways; though many will say not, they simply don't know
> how
> to do it because it requires more than putting the chicken in the MW and
> hitting full-power for nnn minutes.

I believe you, just has never worked for me though I can't imagine anyone
trying it with full power.

Cheri

Cheri

Nov 26, 2015, 1:19:30 AM11/26/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
I saw America's Test Kitchen last week where they poached chicken breasts in
a way that I hadn't tried before. I tried it and they were very good, but I
don't really think you can beat pan fried.

Cheri

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 5:22:44 AM11/26/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> I saw America's Test Kitchen last week where they poached chicken breasts
> in a way that I hadn't tried before. I tried it and they were very good,
> but I don't really think you can beat pan fried.

You can't just leave it there!! Come on, how do they do it?? <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 8:53:22 AM11/26/15
sf wrote:

> The very thought of microwaved chicken makes me shudder, Ken.

Then you've never done it properly.

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 9:15:20 AM11/26/15
I've only discovered this in the past 6 months. Only because at last
minute,
I decide I'd like some chicken for dinner and it was frozen.

If planning a dinner, I would thaw and fry or oven fry but in a pinch,
a single piece at a time can be cooked nicely in the MW. Naturally,
this
would only work for one or two people, not a family.

So far, I've microwaved maybe 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast
and maybe two chicken thighs.

Here's what I do -

Put one piece of frozen chicken in the microwave.
My microwave is small and 700 watts.
I cook it on high for 111 seconds then let it sit for a few minutes.
Next cook it for 44 seconds and again let it sit for several minutes.
At this point, I'll cut into the thickest part to see how it's doing.
The final cooking time depends on the thickness of the chicken.

For a boneless breast, no more than a final 44 seconds or less.
For a thicker thigh, maybe one more time.

sw mentioned cooking chicken in a microwave and uneven temps. This is
why you microwave in small steps and then let it sit for a few minutes
to let the heat distribute.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 26, 2015, 10:32:59 AM11/26/15
I shall try that - often perhaps fancy something for supper a bit more
involved and always have lots of chicken in the freezer, this would be
perfect! I can vary the power level on mine so will start with 50%
and experiment from there.

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 10:38:24 AM11/26/15
lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> I shall try that - often perhaps fancy something for supper a bit more
> involved and always have lots of chicken in the freezer, this would be
> perfect! I can vary the power level on mine so will start with 50%
> and experiment from there.

Main thing is to cook in small doses and let it sit several minutes
before you cook more. You won't get crispy skin but the meat turns out
delicious.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 26, 2015, 10:40:36 AM11/26/15
I will let you know when I do it, maybe this weekend.

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 10:54:16 AM11/26/15

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message
I believe you have the same oven as mine. Panasonic Inverter slimline
combi?? Look in the cookery book that came with it. There are loads of
recipes in there. I can't recommend any because I never used them but they
are there and they might be useful to you??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Nancy Young

Nov 26, 2015, 11:10:25 AM11/26/15
I can't be near it, microwaving raw chicken makes a stench, to me.

nancy

MisterDiddyWahDiddy

Nov 26, 2015, 11:23:20 AM11/26/15
No decent excuse for a cook would *ever* microwave raw chicken. Gary has
*very* low standards when it comes to food.

> nancy

--Bryan

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 26, 2015, 11:30:33 AM11/26/15
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 15:53:51 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
That's the one - isn't it strange, never read the recipe book lol Come
to think of it, I had some cheek suggesting the poster with the new
fan oven read his manual :) Though I will say I did read the manual
for my stove which has a fan in it. It also has a switch so I can
have something cooking at say 250 then want to switch to fan and just
push auto fan and it adjusts itself nicely.

Happy Birthday Ophelia, have an extra glass for me today :)

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 11:39:52 AM11/26/15
That's the lamest description I've ever heard of cooking chicken, no
matter how you cook it. Get real.

dsi1

Nov 26, 2015, 11:45:54 AM11/26/15
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 6:13:36 AM UTC-10, KenK wrote:
> Is there any way to prepare chicken parts, usually thighs, besides frying
> and baking? Like with my MW. Something that tastes as good as baked or
> fried breaded chicken. Probably not, but it would be nice to prepare it
> faster than baking and less high-fat than frying.
>
> TIA
>

> --
> You know it's time to clean the refrigerator
> when something closes the door from the inside.

My son used to cook large chicken breasts in the microwave. He would put some kind of peppery seasonings on them and let it sit out for a while. My guess is that he'd cook it at a reduced power level for 5 to 8 minutes. After we got a toaster oven, he'd cook it in that. I never tasted his chicken because I thought it was kind of a goofy way to cook chicken but he seemed satisfied doing it this way. The next time he makes it, I'll have to get some details about this.

Chama

Nov 26, 2015, 11:46:17 AM11/26/15
It's an inferior way to prepare bird, period.

Groupkilla

Nov 26, 2015, 12:01:55 PM11/26/15
Given he supports woman-stalking that is not a surprise.

Nancy Young

Nov 26, 2015, 12:21:27 PM11/26/15
Too bad you don't like, it, it makes me nauseated. No one is cooking
raw chicken in the microwave at my house.

nancy

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 12:28:01 PM11/26/15
MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:

> No decent excuse for a cook would *ever* microwave raw chicken. Gary has
> *very* low standards when it comes to food.

Well spoken from a previous dumpster diver.
Bryan is so UPPPPPITAAAAAAAAAY now.

Cheryl

Nov 26, 2015, 12:32:27 PM11/26/15
On 11/26/2015 11:30 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> Happy Birthday Ophelia, have an extra glass for me today:)

O, is it your birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have an extra for me too!

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 1:02:35 PM11/26/15

>>I believe you have the same oven as mine. Panasonic Inverter slimline
>>combi?? Look in the cookery book that came with it. There are loads of
>>recipes in there. I can't recommend any because I never used them but
>>they
>>are there and they might be useful to you??
>

> That's the one - isn't it strange, never read the recipe book lol Come
> to think of it, I had some cheek suggesting the poster with the new
> fan oven read his manual :) Though I will say I did read the manual
> for my stove which has a fan in it. It also has a switch so I can
> have something cooking at say 250 then want to switch to fan and just
> push auto fan and it adjusts itself nicely.

Heh well read that manual and you will know how to do the chicken. Maybe it
won't be just microwaved but I bet it is faster than in regular oven:)

> Happy Birthday Ophelia, have an extra glass for me today :)

Thank you;) I will!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 1:02:35 PM11/26/15

"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 11/26/2015 11:30 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>
>> Happy Birthday Ophelia, have an extra glass for me today:)
>
> O, is it your birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have an extra for me too!

It is indeed:)) Thank you very much and I will certainly lift a glass to
you too:))

Thank You:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 1:37:19 PM11/26/15
Ophelia wrote:

> Cheryl said:
> > O, is it your birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have an extra for me too!
>
> It is indeed:))

Happy birthday, Ophy! :-D

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 26, 2015, 2:38:09 PM11/26/15
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 18:00:09 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I had a look for the MW manual and can't find it, oh well, I
experimented with veggies, so why not chicken?

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 2:43:57 PM11/26/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5657512E...@att.net...
Thanks, Gary. You are very kind:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

S Viemeister

Nov 26, 2015, 2:57:50 PM11/26/15
On 11/26/2015 1:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote
>> On 11/26/2015 11:30 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
>>
>>> Happy Birthday Ophelia, have an extra glass for me today:)
>>
>> O, is it your birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have an extra for me too!
>
> It is indeed:)) Thank you very much and I will certainly lift a glass
> to you too:))

Happy Birthday!

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 3:00:09 PM11/26/15

"S Viemeister" <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote in message
Thanks, Sheila:))))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 3:00:10 PM11/26/15

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message
Maybe you can get a copy on line?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cheri

Nov 26, 2015, 5:25:43 PM11/26/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>
>> I saw America's Test Kitchen last week where they poached chicken breasts
>> in a way that I hadn't tried before. I tried it and they were very good,
>> but I don't really think you can beat pan fried.
>
> You can't just leave it there!! Come on, how do they do it?? <g>

This one from ATK with more info here

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/7763-perfect-poached-chicken-breasts

| Serves 4

To ensure that the chicken cooks through, don’t use breasts that weigh more
than 8 ounces each. If desired, serve the chicken with one of our sauces
(see related content) or in a salad or sandwiches.

Ingredients
4 (6- to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons sugar
6 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled

Instructions

1. Cover chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound thick ends gently with
meat pounder until 3/4 inch thick. Whisk 4 quarts water, soy sauce, salt,
sugar, and garlic in Dutch oven until salt and sugar are dissolved. Arrange
breasts, skinned side up, in steamer basket, making sure not to overlap
them. Submerge steamer basket in brine and let sit at room temperature for
30 minutes.

2. Heat pot over medium heat, stirring liquid occasionally to even out hot
spots, until water registers 175 degrees, 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off heat,
cover pot, remove from burner, and let stand until meat registers 160
degrees, 17 to 22 minutes.

3. Transfer breasts to carving board, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and
let rest for 5 minutes. Slice each breast on bias into 1/4-inch-thick
slices, transfer to serving platter or individual plates, and serve.

Cheri

Nov 26, 2015, 5:26:44 PM11/26/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:565740F3...@att.net...
Maybe he's moved on to simple trash cans? ;-)

Cheri

Cheri

Nov 26, 2015, 5:28:43 PM11/26/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Happy Birthday Ophelia, hope it's lovely.

Cheri

jmcquown

Nov 26, 2015, 5:34:26 PM11/26/15
Ditto. :)

Jill

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 26, 2015, 6:02:56 PM11/26/15
On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 14:25:00 -0800, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
I saw that too but I prefer dark meat so it's legs I have in the
freezer. O is right, I could look recipes up for the particular model
of over the stove nuker that I have.

Dave Smith

Nov 26, 2015, 6:14:47 PM11/26/15
I have to ask why someone would nuke chicken if there were any other way
to cook it available.

Ophelia

Nov 27, 2015, 4:55:32 AM11/27/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
That looks interesting. Did you make them? Thanks very much!

Incidentally it won't let me look unless I join. Are you a member?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 27, 2015, 5:28:52 AM11/27/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
Thank you very much, Cheri. I've spent most of it in bed (shut up Sheldon,
I have flu)

Still the group has kept me entertained <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Bruce

Nov 27, 2015, 6:05:30 AM11/27/15
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 10:28:39 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> It is indeed:)) Thank you very much and I will certainly lift a glass to
>>> you too:))
>>>
>>> Thank You:))
>>
>> Happy Birthday Ophelia, hope it's lovely.
>
>Thank you very much, Cheri. I've spent most of it in bed (shut up Sheldon,
>I have flu)

(belated) happy birthday if your flu allows it.

>Still the group has kept me entertained <g>

:)

--
Bruce

Ophelia

Nov 27, 2015, 6:20:47 AM11/27/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
Good wishes are always appreciated, so thank you:)

>>Still the group has kept me entertained <g>
>
> :)

If I have been more grumpy of late, at least you know why :)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Bruce

Nov 27, 2015, 6:28:41 AM11/27/15
On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:20:35 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
No worries :)

--
Bruce

Xeno

Nov 27, 2015, 6:35:09 AM11/27/15
Having an illness on your birthday isn't pleasant but have happy
birthday anyway...

--

Xeno

Ophelia

Nov 27, 2015, 6:48:44 AM11/27/15

"Xeno" <xeno...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
Good wishes cheer me up so thanks very much, Xeno:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cheri

Nov 28, 2015, 12:01:48 AM11/28/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Yes, I did make them. They were good. I am a member, but I really don't go
to their site much at all.

Cheri

Cheri

Nov 28, 2015, 12:02:48 AM11/28/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon.

Cheri

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 4:32:02 AM11/28/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
Thanks:) I hope so too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

MisterDiddyWahDiddy

Nov 28, 2015, 9:39:32 AM11/28/15
Did you not get a flu shot?

--Bryan

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 9:43:56 AM11/28/15

"MisterDiddyWahDiddy" <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I did indeed! I didn't think it possible but this seems to have stemmed
from that:( It is not as severe as flu I've had in the past, but bad
enough and of course now it has gone into my chest and I now have
tracheitis:( I am *really* fed up. I did get the flue shot along with a
shingles shot. Could that have made the difference?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

S Viemeister

Nov 28, 2015, 11:23:15 AM11/28/15
On 11/28/2015 9:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I did indeed! I didn't think it possible but this seems to have stemmed
> from that:( It is not as severe as flu I've had in the past, but bad
> enough and of course now it has gone into my chest and I now have
> tracheitis:( I am *really* fed up. I did get the flue shot along with
> a shingles shot. Could that have made the difference?

An unfortunate coincidence.

Doctors' surgeries/offices are full of germs from sick people.
And the flu shots only protect against three different strains,
considered most likely to be common in any given year. There are other
strains out there, and some people are unlucky enough to encounter them.

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 28, 2015, 11:27:01 AM11/28/15
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 14:43:39 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

The flu shot has no connection, they don't use live virus for it :)
They have to take a guess every year as to what will do the rounds and
willingly admit, they are not always entirely right and some strains
may not be covered.

I have had a flu shot since they started - in the mid 70s I had Swine
Flu and never want one of those severe flus again. It was three weeks
before I could get out of bed, awful.

This past May I had a brush with pneumonia, the doctor asked me if I
had the shot and I said I did about 20 years ago. Turns out, although
back then they thought it was lifetime protection, it isn't, you need
a booster every ten years. So as soon as I was healthy I went and
got the booster :)

notbob

Nov 28, 2015, 11:48:53 AM11/28/15
On 2015-11-28, S Viemeister <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

> strains out there, and some people are unlucky enough to encounter them.

I'm jes getting over a minor cold. Typical symptoms: cough, wheeze/sneeze,
sinuses, etc. The first cold I've had in several yrs. Where did I
get it? Where else! From my friend's 10 yr old daughter.

I long ago realized pre-teens are walking petri dishes of infection.
They've not been on the planet long enough to gain any natural
immunities, so they go to school --with a jillion other petri dishes--
and bring the latest/greatest infection home to mom n' dad, who will
unknowingly spread it to everyone else who hasn't been already infected
with the latest mutated strain.

I love kids, but make a run for it when I see one with a runny nose.
It's why I stopped going to the free church T/X days dinners. Toward
the end of the meal, an army of petri dishes descends on the crowd and
does their utmost best to bring coffee/tea/pie, etc, to the
unsuspecting geezers who've yet to get their flu shots. It results
is a wheeze/sneeze-fest of unimaginable proportions. ;)

nb

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 11:57:34 AM11/28/15

"S Viemeister" <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote in message
Yes, that is what I thought but I couldn't help but wonder:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 11:57:34 AM11/28/15

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message
That is what I thought but she did tell me that the Shingles one was live.

Mind you, I haven't had shingles this week <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Janet B

Nov 28, 2015, 12:47:56 PM11/28/15
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 14:43:39 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

snip

>I did indeed! I didn't think it possible but this seems to have stemmed
>from that:( It is not as severe as flu I've had in the past, but bad
>enough and of course now it has gone into my chest and I now have
>tracheitis:( I am *really* fed up. I did get the flue shot along with a
>shingles shot. Could that have made the difference?

No. I got both at the same time. Did you get the new high-dose for
people over 65? Have you had your pneumonia shot yet?
Howsomever, get well soon. (sounds like a good reason to have
something hot to drink)
Janet US

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 12:58:47 PM11/28/15

"Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 14:43:39 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>>I did indeed! I didn't think it possible but this seems to have stemmed
>>from that:( It is not as severe as flu I've had in the past, but bad
>>enough and of course now it has gone into my chest and I now have
>>tracheitis:( I am *really* fed up. I did get the flue shot along with a
>>shingles shot. Could that have made the difference?
>
> No. I got both at the same time.

Ahhh that is reassuring!

Did you get the new high-dose for
> people over 65?

Yes:)

>Have you had your pneumonia shot yet?

Yes, I have been having that for a long time because of the asthma.

> Howsomever, get well soon. (sounds like a good reason to have
> something hot to drink)

Thanks very much Janet. I am drinking plenty and apart from the chest, I am
starting to feel a bit better. I spoke to a doc on the phone on Friday and
she said that if my chest isn't any better by Monday, I need to go for
antibiotics:( I hate those too!

I don't want any of that stuff, I want to be young and healthy and to be
able to run around .... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 28, 2015, 1:39:47 PM11/28/15
Thanks Bob, my laugh of the day. When I see them walking along, I'll
remember, stay clear of the petri dishes :)

dsi1

Nov 28, 2015, 2:23:15 PM11/28/15
On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 12:22:44 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>
> > I saw America's Test Kitchen last week where they poached chicken breasts
> > in a way that I hadn't tried before. I tried it and they were very good,
> > but I don't really think you can beat pan fried.
>
> You can't just leave it there!! Come on, how do they do it?? <g>
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I used to poach whole chickens in a mixture of light and dark soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sugar. The strange part is that you reserve the poaching liquid to poach chicken in the future. The taste of the sauce evolves as you keep using it. Some Chinese cooks will keep this master sauce for years.

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 2:27:10 PM11/28/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
The same physical sauce?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Chama

Nov 28, 2015, 2:30:22 PM11/28/15
That's like sourdough starter for chicken!

Cool.

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 2:32:21 PM11/28/15

"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
I just joined and I am having a look around:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Dave Smith

Nov 28, 2015, 2:58:39 PM11/28/15
On 2015-11-28 11:48 AM, notbob wrote:

> I long ago realized pre-teens are walking petri dishes of infection.
> They've not been on the planet long enough to gain any natural
> immunities, so they go to school --with a jillion other petri dishes--
> and bring the latest/greatest infection home to mom n' dad, who will
> unknowingly spread it to everyone else who hasn't been already infected
> with the latest mutated strain.
>
> I love kids, but make a run for it when I see one with a runny nose.
> It's why I stopped going to the free church T/X days dinners. Toward
> the end of the meal, an army of petri dishes descends on the crowd and
> does their utmost best to bring coffee/tea/pie, etc, to the
> unsuspecting geezers who've yet to get their flu shots. It results
> is a wheeze/sneeze-fest of unimaginable proportions. ;)

As much as I loved my brother in laws daughter and two sons I always
dreaded being around them. Their mother was a health food fanatic and
the kids were very healthy. They could be full of germs that could not
get past their immune systems, but they were carriers. The germs thought
I was an easier target and I usually ended up sick a day or two later.

dsi1

Nov 28, 2015, 3:09:17 PM11/28/15
On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 9:27:10 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message
Yes, it changes because you have to keep adding liquids to replace that which was lost during the poaching. The flavor gets darker and deeper. At least that's what they say. I can only keep it for three or so uses. It turns into Chinese chicken jelly after the first use.

Some mother sauces get passed down to the next family generation. It's the family chicken poaching sauce!

dsi1

Nov 28, 2015, 3:15:47 PM11/28/15
Some say there are sauces that have been used for hundreds of years. I think the Chinese like to exaggerate a tiny bit, if their so called "hundred year old eggs" is any indication. :)

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 3:15:56 PM11/28/15

> On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 9:27:10 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" <> wrote in message

>> > I used to poach whole chickens in a mixture of light and dark soy
>> > sauce,
>> > ginger, garlic, sugar. The strange part is that you reserve the
>> > poaching
>> > liquid to poach chicken in the future. The taste of the sauce evolves
>> > as
>> > you keep using it. Some Chinese cooks will keep this master sauce for
>> > years.
>>
>> The same physical sauce?
>>
> Yes, it changes because you have to keep adding liquids to replace that
> which was lost during the poaching. The flavor gets darker and deeper. At
> least that's what they say. I can only keep it for three or so uses. It
> turns into Chinese chicken jelly after the first use.
> Some mother sauces get passed down to the next family generation. It's the
> family chicken poaching sauce!

What do they do differently to you? Do they sterilize it in jars?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

Nov 28, 2015, 3:25:42 PM11/28/15
My guess is that the salt in the sauce preserves it so it will keep it from spoiling at room temperature. If you keep it in the refrigerator it will gell. I don't know what happened to my sauce - I may have thrown it away when cleaning out the refrigerator. I'm not going to keep a sauce for over a couple of years anyway - that's just not right!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_stock

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 3:34:45 PM11/28/15

> My guess is that the salt in the sauce preserves it so it will keep it
> from spoiling at room temperature. If you keep it in the refrigerator it
> will gell. I don't know what happened to my sauce - I may have thrown it
> away when cleaning out the refrigerator. I'm not going to keep a sauce for
> over a couple of years anyway - that's just not right!

Well, I guess it works for them ok but like you, it wouldn't do for me.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_stock

In the old days I know that a stockpot was kept on the stove and stuff was
added to it constantly. I suppose that is a similar thing.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Chama

Nov 28, 2015, 3:56:19 PM11/28/15
Not the worst habit to have, as long as the final product carries
through, and darn it they usually do.

Brooklyn1

Nov 28, 2015, 4:02:24 PM11/28/15
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 09:31:45 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

>>> Thank you very much, Cheri. I've spent most of it in bed (shut up
>>> Sheldon,
>>> I have flu)

Sounds like you need a tureen of my Hot & Sour Soup... I'll be right
over:
http://www.food.com/recipe/p-f-changs-hot-and-sour-soup-356263
Get well soon!

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 4:06:23 PM11/28/15

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message
lol Thanks Sheldon:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Brooklyn1

Nov 28, 2015, 4:13:02 PM11/28/15
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 17:56:19 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Chest therapy... you rang? ;)
I don't know if this is available there but it works... Amazon has it.
http://www.coldeeze.com/
The Quick Melts work for me:
http://www.coldeeze.com/product/immune-support-energy-qm/

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 4:19:32 PM11/28/15

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message
lol it was a joke:) Just had my nebuliser for the first time in a couple of
years and now I am shaking like a leaf.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 28, 2015, 4:23:07 PM11/28/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Incidentally, it wasn't a cold and those wouldn't ease asthma, but I have
taken them on board and will look for them:) Thanks:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

MisterDiddyWahDiddy

Nov 28, 2015, 8:43:54 PM11/28/15
Ophelia, keep getting those immunizations. You might have been unlucky, and
were exposed to a strain not included in the flu shot, or what you have might
be another nasty virus that is not actually influenza. Immunizations are
pretty much unambiguously good.

--Bryan

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2015, 4:59:31 AM11/29/15

"MisterDiddyWahDiddy" <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Thanks, Bryan, I will. I do realise they don't cover all the bugs but so
long as they cover some they are worth it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Janet B

Nov 29, 2015, 8:49:41 AM11/29/15
On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 17:56:19 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Me too!!!
'If wishes were horses beggars would ride' :(
Janet US

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 29, 2015, 8:59:39 AM11/29/15
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 06:49:37 -0700, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>
wrote:

>Me too!!!
>'If wishes were horses beggars would ride' :(
>Janet US

Haven't heard that expression in years :) One of my grandmothers
favourites when you over reached.

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2015, 9:06:21 AM11/29/15

"Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
LOL my Grandmother used to say that:) When I get my 3 wishes, I shall use
two for us:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 29, 2015, 9:22:31 AM11/29/15

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message
Ahhh you beat me to it:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

graham

Nov 29, 2015, 12:38:07 PM11/29/15
Mine used: "His promises are like pie-crusts, easily broken!"

--
Deep within the heart of every evangelist lies the wreck of
a car salesman.

meda...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2015, 12:56:07 PM11/29/15
On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 9:39:32 AM UTC-5, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
> On Friday, November 27, 2015 at 4:28:52 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Happy Birthday Ophelia, hope it's lovely.
> >
> > Thank you very much, Cheri. I've spent most of it in bed (shut up Sheldon,
> > I have flu)
> >
> > Still the group has kept me entertained <g>
> >
> Did you not get a flu shot?
>
> --Bryan

Did you? Must have been free, since I can't believe you would part with a few dollars you don't have.

meda...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2015, 12:59:27 PM11/29/15
Be sure to get your tetanus shot. Those dumpsters can be pretty nasty.

Chama

Nov 29, 2015, 1:06:29 PM11/29/15
LOL!

Chama

Nov 29, 2015, 1:07:22 PM11/29/15
meda...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Did you not get a flu shot?
>> >
>> >--Bryan
> Did you? Must have been free, since I can't believe you would part with a few dollars you don't have.

Heh - here:

http://www.barnesjewish.org/flu-shots

Chama

Nov 29, 2015, 1:07:54 PM11/29/15
meda...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Immunizations are
>> >pretty much unambiguously good.
>> >
>> >--Bryan
> Be sure to get your tetanus shot. Those dumpsters can be pretty nasty.

+1!

meda...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2015, 1:43:14 PM11/29/15
On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 8:43:54 PM UTC-5, MisterDiddyWahDiddy wrote:
What kind of health insurance does your family have?
It is loading more messages.