Re: Beef and Shrimp Chow Mein/Lo Mein

Janet B

Feb 10, 2016, 4:41:52 PM2/10/16
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:36:34 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>Day 4 of Chinese New Year:
>
>Wether you call it lo mein or chow mein is basically a regional thing.
>Chow mein is supposed have slightly charred-chewy-crispy noodles, but
>restaurants typically don't do that or only slightly so that it's
>basically the same stuff. Lo mein, OTOH, is supposed to have more of
>a steamed texture to the noodle.
>
>Made using the proper wheat noodles (mine are dry but they're also
>sold fresh) along with the contents of my vegetable drawer - Napa
>cabbage, shaved carrot, broccoli, celery, red onion, green onion,
>common shrooms, bean sprouts, and garlic.
>
>The meats are a 9oz ribeye sliced thin and dusted ever so lightly with
>baking soda and marinated with small amounts of soy, rice wine, and
>oyster sauce. And a big handful of medium shrimp. The sauce is light
>chicken stock, soy, and oyster sauce. White pepper and MSG were also
>added. Chile oil with black beans and dried shrimp were used to
>finish the plated noodles. NO bonito or fish sauce were used
><shiver>.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/24918221316/in/photostream/lightbox/
>
>-sw
that is the best-looking dinner you have posted! I want some.
Janet US

Brooklyn1

Feb 10, 2016, 10:45:50 PM2/10/16
wrote:

>Day 4 of Chinese New Year:
>
>Wether you call it lo mein or chow mein is basically a regional thing.
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/24918221316/in/photostream/lightbox/

That's neither chow mein or lo mein in any region on this planet... it
may taste fine but there's nothing Chinese or American Chinese
restaurant about that... perhaps it's Texass-Mexass Chinese. I've
eaten both those dishes in every major city in the US and Canada and
in every Chinatown. Chow Mein consists of onions, celery, bean
sprouts, and some water chestnuts and bamboo shoots, a few button
mushrooms, small bits of pork, or chicken, or shrimp, all in a
thickened gloppy sauce, usually served with crispy noodles and white
rice in separate bowls on the side, same as steh canned stuff at teh
stupidmarket... some lousy cheapo joints serve it over the noodles and
rice so it looks like more.
Lo Mein consists mostly of long soft noodles in a thin sauce, with
some white parts of diced bok choy and sometimes also napa cabbage,
often bits of omelet, and some small bits of pork, or chicken,or
shrimp, typically garnished with a few cashews and green onions. The
only regional differences I've seen are that some restaurants may add
some bits of carrot, some may use almonds or peanuts rather than
cashews, some serve a special house version that includes all three
meats and I've seen some that add bits of lobster too... some may add
diced tomato to lo mein. Chinese restaurants use broccoli in other
dishes but not those two.
At home I usually prepare Sub Gum Chow Mein, a much more sophisticated
version of Chow Mein, contains several oriental vegetables but no
onions, celery, or bean sprouts as fillers and no gloppy sauce, and
meats are slices rather than tiny julienned bits... contains baby
corn, snow peas, and straw mushrooms... no noodles or rice with sub
gum.
Rather than Lo Mein at home I prepare Yatka Mein, it's a rich brothy
soup of mostly long noodles with several vegetables and sliced meats.
At good restaurants I like Duck Yatka Mein, typically served in a
tureen enough for two to share... it's the sort of dish that's not
worth the trouble to prepare for just one serving, although I can
easily eat the entire quart tureen as my lunch. The yatka mein served
in New Orleans is a total bastardization. When ordered in any US
Chinatown it's very differenmt and it contains no boiled eggs, it's
actually an authentic Chinese dish, it will arrive with a few duck
feet in this very gelatinous soup... most Americans don't like
gelatinous but I love it. You won't find yatka mein at today's
Chinese take outs and rarely at any US Chinese restaurant... when
properly made it's one of my favorite dishes. You pretty much need to
go to a Chinatown or prepare it yourself.

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 12:05:59 AM2/12/16
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 22:45:41 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:36:34 -0600, Sqwertz
> > <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> >
> > > Day 4 of Chinese New Year:
> > >
> > > Wether you call it lo mein or chow mein is basically a regional
> > > thing.
> > >
> > > https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/24918221316/in/photostream/l
> > > ightbox/
> >
> > That's neither chow mein or lo mein in any region on this planet...
>
> <yawn>
>
> I don't have the patience to read one of your long-winded, crotchety,
> late night vodka-fueled tirades tonight. But try again tomorrow, K?
>
> -sw

Might be because he was talking genuine asian cuisine?

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 12:27:38 AM2/12/16
Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Both are a rather americanized version for sure but that doesnt mean
they taste bad.

> At home I usually prepare Sub Gum Chow Mein, a much more sophisticated
> version of Chow Mein, contains several oriental vegetables but no
> onions, celery, or bean sprouts as fillers and no gloppy sauce, and
> meats are slices rather than tiny julienned bits... contains baby
> corn, snow peas, and straw mushrooms... no noodles or rice with sub
> gum.

Not familiar with the name but interesting!

I'm not that fond of enoki except for looks at times. They are rather
pretty on an omlette. I'd have used King Oyster there. The baby
button mushrooms well above were apt to be Shemenji (Japanese for them,
not aware of other names). Earthy and deep flavored. They would do
even better to shine in this recipe because of the mold earthy
addition. If you havent tried them, they look like a sort of colony
mushroom and are sold in plastic packs. They come in brown and white
(no taste difference) and last far longer than the average mushroom in
the fridge.
- shemenji deydrate very well and can be used in small bits or powdered
and used that way for extra mushroom 'punch' to a dish.

> Rather than Lo Mein at home I prepare Yatka Mein, it's a rich brothy
> soup of mostly long noodles with several vegetables and sliced meats.
> At good restaurants I like Duck Yatka Mein, typically served in a
> tureen enough for two to share... it's the sort of dish that's not
> worth the trouble to prepare for just one serving, although I can
> easily eat the entire quart tureen as my lunch. The yatka mein served
> in New Orleans is a total bastardization. When ordered in any US
> Chinatown it's very differenmt and it contains no boiled eggs, it's
> actually an authentic Chinese dish, it will arrive with a few duck
> feet in this very gelatinous soup... most Americans don't like
> gelatinous but I love it. You won't find yatka mein at today's
> Chinese take outs and rarely at any US Chinese restaurant... when
> properly made it's one of my favorite dishes. You pretty much need to
> go to a Chinatown or prepare it yourself.

I think I will look for that type of dish! I had something like it
(from the sounds) in Hong Kong. The one I had was mostly root
vegetables in a basic consomme gel soup with noodles. Bone broth based
I am sure for both what I had and you list. According to Asian lore,
good to keep old joints feeling young. Call it natural osteo-biflex
stuff.

Carol

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 12:37:20 AM2/12/16
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> > Might be because he was talking genuine asian cuisine?
>
> Heh. He was referring to La Choy from a can served with those little
> fried noodles they call "chow mein". Chow mein/Lo mein is not a saucy
> dish - Even you SHOULD know that.
>
> Now you're just being an irrational, snide bitch.
>
> -sw

No, he dissed your picture and you are pissed off and on a diatribe.
Thats your problem.

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 12:40:54 AM2/12/16
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 23:05:56 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Might be because he was talking genuine asian cuisine?
>
> Heh. He was referring to La Choy from a can served with those little
> fried noodles they call "chow mein". Chow mein/Lo mein is not a saucy
> dish - Even you SHOULD know that.
>
> Now you're just being an irrational, snide bitch.
>
> -sw

LOL, I just looked back. His dis had nothing to do with a gloopy
sauce. It was YOURS (which picture seems to have been pulled now) as
overly saucy. His indicate no such thing.

Brooklyn1

Feb 12, 2016, 1:30:07 PM2/12/16
I didn't "diss" the dwarf's picture, his picture is fine which is how
I could clearly see what food he prepared, I merely DISSagreed that
what he presented are American Chinese restaurant versions of those
two dishes, in fact I've never seen anything like that at any American
Chinese restaurant and I've patronized thousands from coast to coast.
I replicate American Chinese restaurant food very often (at least once
a week) and very precisely because I can, I happen to have the ability
to exactly replicate any food I've ever eaten and I need no recipe nor
do I want one to distract my concentration. Most American Chinese
Restaurant dishes are the easiest foods to prepare, because most
follow a basic theme; a lot of chopping ingredients into small pieces
and stir frying... after prepping most every dish can be cooked within
minutes. I began preparing my favorite American Chinese restaurant
dishes in earnest some 15 years ago because at that time good
restaurants disappeared due to attrition and didn't reopen for pretty
much the same reason Chinese Hand Laundrys disappeared, Chinese
immigrants did not want their children to have those occupations, they
wanted them to become medical doctors, lawyers, CPAs, and the like.
Now when one goes to a Chinese take out what they receive is more like
Spanish Harlem Soul and Texass Mexass dishes and prepared very cheaply
and priced high to maximize profits. Good American Chinese
restaurants have gone the same way as the Kosher Deli and Appy...
pittifully few exist anymore and what does exist sells crap at
exhorbitant prices... when I was a kid Kosher Delis and Appys were the
least expensive places to eat and sold the best foods... in 1950 there
were Kosher Delis and Appys everywhere in NYC, a pound of perfect
pastrami cost under a buck, sliced to order luscious lox under a buck
a pound, a gigantic perfectly fermented pickle a nickle. The corner
pizzaria made the best, a 20" pie loaded with real ingredients fresh
from the oven sliced into eighths cost 75¢, a slice cost a dime. Food
was wonderful in my America, at least I can dream.

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 6:16:10 PM2/12/16
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 23:37:13 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> regional >>>>> > thing.
> >>>>> >

> >> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/24918221316/in/photostream/l
> >> planet... >>

> >> crotchety, >> late night vodka-fueled tirades tonight. But try
> again >> tomorrow, K?

> >> Heh. He was referring to La Choy from a can served with those
> little >> fried noodles they call "chow mein". Chow mein/Lo mein is
> not a saucy >> dish - Even you SHOULD know that.
> >>
> >> Now you're just being an irrational, snide bitch.
> >
> > No, he dissed your picture and you are pissed off and on a diatribe.
> > Thats your problem.
>
> Heh. That's was Sheldon's 50-line diatribe. I look forward to them -
> I expect them - every time I post a picture. If I didn't want his
> comments I would have stopped posting pictures long ago.
>
> ObAsianFood: Would you care to critique my last week's com thit
> nuong, seeing as how you're an expert on Vietnamese food, too?
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/24172620433/in/photostream/light
> box/
>
> -sw

Get a life Steve. I never said i was an expert in Vietnamese. I know
general asian better than you though. What I see there doesnt look
like any dish I had elsewhere that was decribed as Viet.

Perhaps (can't tell from the picture) the meat had a Viet treatment?
It looks like you tried to make Cau Lau?

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 6:26:26 PM2/12/16
Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Ah well, prices have changed since 1950 ya know..

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 6:27:26 PM2/12/16
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> Check out what Google images shows for "chow mein":
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=chow+mein&tbm=isch
>
> How many of those are vegetables and meat swimming in gloopy sauce and
> served with crispy noodles? None of them. How many of them look like
> my dish? (granted, I use more meat and veggies than those wimps)
>
> IOW, you're lying again. Those "thousands of restaurants from coast
> to coast" simply don't exist. Maybe back in 1950 they did, but
> certainly not now.
>
> I think you're thinking of chop suey.
>
> -sw

He was talking Low Mein and several other versions.

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 6:30:30 PM2/12/16
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2016 23:40:49 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> Heh. He was referring to La Choy from a can served with those
> little >> fried noodles they call "chow mein". Chow mein/Lo mein is
> not a saucy >> dish - Even you SHOULD know that.
> >>
> >> Now you're just being an irrational, snide bitch.
> >
> > LOL, I just looked back. His dis had nothing to do with a gloopy
> > sauce. It was YOURS (which picture seems to have been pulled now)
> > as overly saucy. His indicate no such thing.
>
> You ARE nuts. I don't know WTF you're reading but here's exactly what
> he said:
>
> "Chow Mein consists of onions, celery, bean sprouts, and some water
> chestnuts and bamboo shoots, a few button mushrooms, small bits of
> pork, or chicken, or shrimp, all in a THICKENED GLOOPY SAUCE, usually
> served with CRISPY NOODLES and white rice in separate bowls on the
> side, SAME AS STEH CANNED STUFF at teh stupidmarket..."
>
> And no, my picture has not been pulled. It's right there as it always
> has been (how you managed to call mine gloopy without even being able
> to see the picture is another mystery)
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/24918221316/in/photostream/light
> box/
>
> You're completely bonkers making these stupid, nonsensical arguments.
>
> Take your meds before you post again.
>
> -sw

Sigh, you are posting out of sequence and context to make it seem other
than what was said.

No matter, you are not worth the keystrokes anymore. Especially after
the frantic grab for comments about meds

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 6:33:44 PM2/12/16
cshenk wrote in rec.food.cooking:
BTW, Steve has reading comprehension issues and can't seprate you
telling him about crappy gloopy stuff and what you prefer to cook.

He's pulling partial quotes of what you posted and do not cook, and
attributing them to you.

cshenk

Feb 12, 2016, 7:54:08 PM2/12/16
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:16:07 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> ObAsianFood: Would you care to critique my last week's com thit
> >> nuong, seeing as how you're an expert on Vietnamese food, too?
> >>

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/24172620433/in/photostream/light
> >> box/
> >
> > Get a life Steve. I never said i was an expert in Vietnamese. I
> > know general asian better than you though. What I see there doesnt
> > look like any dish I had elsewhere that was decribed as Viet.
>
> Hah! You're like a schizophrenic Energizer bunny, aren't you!
>

> > Perhaps (can't tell from the picture) the meat had a Viet treatment?
> > It looks like you tried to make Cau Lau?
>
> You mean CAO Lau? No. Its bun thit nuong, just like I said. It's
> a very common and widespread Vietnamese dish and my version is very
> authentic.
>
> Are you done yet?
>
> -sw

Yes, with you for being and idiot. I never said i knew Viet. I've
never even mentioned it and I don't think you made a real dish there
either. I think you bought it or downloaded a picture from the
internet.

Brooklyn1

Feb 12, 2016, 8:36:22 PM2/12/16
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 18:07:10 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:33:41 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
>> BTW, Steve has reading comprehension issues and can't seprate you
>> telling him about crappy gloopy stuff and what you prefer to cook.
>>
>> He's pulling partial quotes of what you posted and do not cook, and
>> attributing them to you.
>
>You're nuts. You want to field this one, Sheldon? Have I misquoted
>or misinterpreted anything you've said? If you think so, then speak
>up. Otherwise I'm fine with a silent answer. I think at least WE
>know what we're arguing about, even if Carol doesn't.
>
>God Help Her.
>
>-sw

I know exactly what American Chinese restaurants serve regarding chow
mein and lo mein, and many other dishes, I really don't know about
other US Asian resto dishes... I've eaten at Jap joints, awful food,
expensive and nothing much to eat, no wonder most japs are
emaciated... jap joints are more into presentation than actual
eating... they spend a lot more on those awful laquared lunch boxes
than what's in them, more into saving face if they actually had
attractive faces, japs are ugli... Chinese women are far more
attractive than jap women, and that's my opinion because Chinese women
have prettier faces and they have bigger and better boobs and rounder
fuller butts... Jap women all look bitter, up tight, and have a
permanent sneer like they just ate shit. I've known several Chinese
women and jap women intimitely... Chinese women are much happier and
far easier to satisfy. I don't know about Asian men as I'm not into
men at all... whenever I'm out in public I don't see men, men do not
register for me. Feminine females enjoy my company, males do not but
I don't enjoy male company either so I couldn't care less. I don't
enjoy masculine female company either. I don't enjoy the company of
any competitive people. As soon as I recognize a person is being
competitive I suggest they watch their silly football game and I move
on. I detest team sports, all team sports are phoney and those who
gravitate towards team sports are phoneys too. I enjoy one on one
sports but not team sports. I enjoy boxing, and I really enjoy rodeo
events.