Another WF rip off!

Julie Bove

Jun 25, 2015, 6:47:44 AM6/25/15
Whole Foods screwed people again. I am thankful that I don't shop there
often. I did buy a couple of pairs of shoes in there so I know I wasn't
overcharged on those. Our store seems to no longer sell shoes. And I
normally buy only one bag of things, not normally full so it's not hard to
see if the things are ringing up correctly. However, I am not sure if I
have bought things to which this article would apply. If I did, it wasn't
much at all.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/agency-says-whole-foods-overcharges-worst-case-mislabeling-n381026?cid=sm_fb

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 26, 2015, 6:03:19 AM6/26/15
I cannot imagine a big company being stupid enough to do that
intentionally or dumb enough to not check things.

I can see one manager in one store trying to boost profits figuring
he'd never get caught, but for the group of stores in one large city
seems really dumb.

Julie Bove

Jun 26, 2015, 7:06:50 AM6/26/15

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
I can't either but they do strange things. Once, we had some sort of frozen
treat that wound up not getting eaten because nobody liked it. The cashier
asked us if we had tried it before and I told her that we had not. So she
said she was giving it to us for free but that we needed to report back to
her whether we liked it or not. I know that it was not rung up because that
day we only bought a very few things. I didn't see her write the item down
anywhere or make any sort of notation. Stuff like this really bothers me
because I used to do POS work and that sort of thing is a nightmare to a POS
person. How can they possibly keep the inventory straight if things are
just given away? I would also think that the Loss Prevention people
wouldn't be too happy with that either!

Now it may well be that the woman either quit or was fired. We never saw
her there again and she would have been hard to miss because she had very
short, blue hair and a lot of tattoos and piercings. So it could be that
she was not supposed to have done that at all.

They do give free fruit to kids but I know that is accounted for because
there is a wagon with fruit in it, in the eating area and the kids choose
from that.

We have a local chain here called PCC that is similar to WF but much
smaller. They give kids a free serving of fruit or vegetable of their
choice. We were told that Angela (when she was a kid) could have anything
that she wanted. If she wanted some pineapple, all we had to do was tell
the produce person and he or she would take a whole one and cut a serving
for her. And once there was a boy ahead of us in line that had something
very large. I can't remember what it was now. But the cashier inferred
that it was more than a serving. The mom said that the boy had a big
appetite so she let it go. Those people weren't even buying anything! They
just took the free produce.

That always bugged me as well because I never saw them write anything down
there either. But maybe the produce inventory is handled differently. It
would be easy enough to count something like bagged salads but I don't know
how you'd do it with something like apples that wind up in a pile. You sure
wouldn't want to go digging through them to count. Hmmm... Now that I
think about it, when I worked for that inventory company, I don't recall
ever having to count fresh produce. And we did do a lot of grocery stores.

Miss Kitty

Jun 26, 2015, 9:30:19 AM6/26/15
You buy shoes at a grocery store? And NBC is not a "news" outlet, it's a tabloid on a par with the National Enquirer.

La Mirada

Jun 26, 2015, 1:39:04 PM6/26/15
Charitable!

sf

Jun 26, 2015, 1:46:19 PM6/26/15
+1

--

sf

sf

Jun 26, 2015, 1:47:09 PM6/26/15
Meeooow!

--

sf

Julie Bove

Jun 26, 2015, 5:44:11 PM6/26/15

"Miss Kitty" <tracye...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Yes. They used to sell Toms and they had styles that Nordstrom did not.

jmcquown

Jun 26, 2015, 6:05:24 PM6/26/15
On 6/26/2015 9:30 AM, Miss Kitty wrote:
> On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 5:47:44 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Whole Foods screwed people again. I am thankful that I don't shop there
>> often. I did buy a couple of pairs of shoes in there so I know I wasn't
>> overcharged on those. Our store seems to no longer sell shoes. And I
>> normally buy only one bag of things, not normally full so it's not hard to
>> see if the things are ringing up correctly. However, I am not sure if I
>> have bought things to which this article would apply. If I did, it wasn't
>> much at all.
>>
>> http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/agency-says-whole-foods-overcharges-worst-case-mislabeling-n381026?cid=sm_fb
>
> You buy shoes at a grocery store?

The article specifically talks about PRE-PACKAGED FOODS:

"New York City's Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) said Wednesday
that an ongoing investigation of Whole Foods Market stores has found
systemic overcharging of its customers for prepackaged food."

New York City's Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) said Wednesday that
an ongoing investigation of Whole Foods Market stores has found systemic
overcharging of its customers for prepackaged food.

"The overcharges ranged from [80 cents] for a package of pecan panko to
$14.84 for a package of coconut shrimp," the agency said in a statement."

Yeah, but she's not worried about being overcharged. She's worried
about shoes.

Whole Foods aside, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do not
want to shop at grocery stores that also sell clothing and shoes.
That's not what I go there for.

Jill

Julie Bove

Jun 26, 2015, 6:40:57 PM6/26/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
What? You're not just wacked, you are wiggity wacked! I am not worried
about shoes. I said that I have bought them there but that I don't think
they sell them any more. I have not bought a lot of food there. I go in
there less than once a month and what I have bought has never been more than
two bags full if that. Most of the time perhaps half a bag.

meda...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2015, 6:47:42 PM6/26/15
Then what was the point of your post. Or any of your posts. You never really say anything of use. I know - neither do I.

jmcquown

Jun 26, 2015, 9:27:18 PM6/26/15
So why are you posting an article saying "Whole Foods screwed people
again"? Yes, you did say you rarely shop there so if you don't, why do
you care? It's not affecting you (other than they don't sell shoes
anymore).

Jill

Julie Bove

Jun 27, 2015, 4:13:44 AM6/27/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Did you even read the link? Does it have to affect *me* for me to post a
link?

dsi1

Jun 28, 2015, 5:29:23 AM6/28/15
I went to Whole Foods tonight and bought some flap meat and a couple of Cubano sandwiches. It came out to be thirty seven bucks. I guess it was kind of pricey but, there's no place else to get either of those items. The Cubans were tasty and the flap meat will be marinated and cooked sous vide. A wonderful time will be had by all.

sf

Jun 28, 2015, 9:00:10 AM6/28/15
On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 02:29:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 12:47:44 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/agency-says-whole-foods-overcharges-worst-case-mislabeling-n381026?cid=sm_fb
>
> I went to Whole Foods tonight and bought some flap meat and a couple of Cubano sandwiches. It came out to be thirty seven bucks. I guess it was kind of pricey but, there's no place else to get either of those items. The Cubans were tasty and the flap meat will be marinated and cooked sous vide. A wonderful time will be had by all.

That flap meat will make it all worthwhile. Hang the cost, you only
live once!

One of those Mexican grocery stores that has pre-marinaded meats in
the butcher case is near my DD's & SIL's house, so we ate soft tacos
yesterday with a choice of chicken, pork or beef. The deli case at
that store has an assortment of salsas from fresca to hot, so they got
one at each end - the store even sells freshly made guacamole at the a
price that makes buying whole avocados to make it yourself a choice
only if they have run out of the deli guac (which is usually gone by
3PM, even on a weekday). The only thing they forgot to buy was queso,
but I don't put cheese on my taco anyway so I didn't care. Basically,
dinner prep was a lot of chopping. Mexican rice is easy to make, open
a can of refried beans to heat up, roast a few vegetables, throw some
meat + tortillas on the BBQ and dinner is done. All we needed to do
was cut the cooked meat and prepare the other fixings. How easy is
that?

--

sf

Brooklyn1

Jun 28, 2015, 11:15:29 AM6/28/15
Too bad Whole Foods won't sell you a newsreader that scrolls properly.

dsi1

Jun 28, 2015, 4:36:29 PM6/28/15
On 6/28/2015 3:00 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 02:29:19 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 12:47:44 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/agency-says-whole-foods-overcharges-worst-case-mislabeling-n381026?cid=sm_fb
>>
>> I went to Whole Foods tonight and bought some flap meat and a couple of Cubano sandwiches. It came out to be thirty seven bucks. I guess it was kind of pricey but, there's no place else to get either of those items. The Cubans were tasty and the flap meat will be marinated and cooked sous vide. A wonderful time will be had by all.
>
> That flap meat will make it all worthwhile. Hang the cost, you only
> live once!

It was one of the more affordable cuts @ $6.99/lb. I'm marinating it in
a bag. At some point in time, I'll just place the bag in 130 degree
water. Then it'll just be a sear in my cast iron - if I can find the
damn thing! I hope you're right about the meat.

> One of those Mexican grocery stores that has pre-marinaded meats in
> the butcher case is near my DD's & SIL's house, so we ate soft tacos
> yesterday with a choice of chicken, pork or beef. The deli case at
> that store has an assortment of salsas from fresca to hot, so they got
> one at each end - the store even sells freshly made guacamole at the a
> price that makes buying whole avocados to make it yourself a choice
> only if they have run out of the deli guac (which is usually gone by
> 3PM, even on a weekday). The only thing they forgot to buy was queso,
> but I don't put cheese on my taco anyway so I didn't care. Basically,
> dinner prep was a lot of chopping. Mexican rice is easy to make, open
> a can of refried beans to heat up, roast a few vegetables, throw some
> meat + tortillas on the BBQ and dinner is done. All we needed to do
> was cut the cooked meat and prepare the other fixings. How easy is
> that?

We have a serious problem with the Mexican marts - there aren't any!
Well, none that sells meats or has a deli.

dsi1

Jun 28, 2015, 4:44:42 PM6/28/15
Too bad you think that your 90s programs are the cat's meow. Your reader
forces you to stick with Windows - how backwards is that? It's people
like you that won't allow Microsoft to fade away into the night simply
because you're afraid of changing. Hope you're proud of yourself. Hee hee.

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 28, 2015, 7:31:38 PM6/28/15
On 6/28/2015 4:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Too bad you think that your 90s programs are the cat's meow. Your reader
> forces you to stick with Windows - how backwards is that? It's people
> like you that won't allow Microsoft to fade away into the night simply
> because you're afraid of changing. Hope you're proud of yourself. Hee hee.

What is better? Linux? PITA and lacks drivers. Android? Won't run
many programs. Apple OS? Control freaks that will never get a penny
from me.
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Jun 28, 2015, 8:16:48 PM6/28/15
Since we're all supposed to be adults here, don't expect me to tell you
what to use. Go ask some other bloke. Also, please do not come to me
whining about how you don't like the way I post or what I post. That's
solely my business. If you have differing points of view you can state
it - just as long as your view doesn't include me in it. Then we will
get along just fine.

What burns me up is crabby old coots that have been bitching about
Windows for nearly 20 years and now act like they're gonna die without
it. Go figure! :-)
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Jun 28, 2015, 8:29:11 PM6/28/15
On 6/28/2015 2:22 PM, Bruce wrote:
> How many Dr Peppers did you drink?

I haven't had a Dr. Pepper in months. Please update your database. :-)
Message has been deleted

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 28, 2015, 9:51:39 PM6/28/15
On 6/28/2015 7:58 PM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:
> Oh how I agree! I gather that after Win7 microsoft is moving towards
> 10 which is a slight better edition of 8/8.1 - I knew something was
> wrong when MS offered a 'free' upgrade to Win 10. They will have to
> prise Win7 from my cold dead hands. I'll give up puting rather than
> buy anything bitten apple.

W7 is very good. My wife has a small laptop with 8.1 and it is
terrible. My computer guy has been using pre-release beta versions of
W10 for about a year and he says it is ok to upgrade. Works very
similar to W7. He says to do a manual install to be sure you get the
right features, like no tiles.

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 28, 2015, 9:58:36 PM6/28/15
On 6/28/2015 8:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> What is better? Linux? PITA and lacks drivers. Android? Won't run
>> many programs. Apple OS? Control freaks that will never get a penny
>> from me.
>
> Since we're all supposed to be adults here, don't expect me to tell you
> what to use. Go ask some other bloke. Also, please do not come to me
> whining about how you don't like the way I post or what I post. That's
> solely my business. If you have differing points of view you can state
> it - just as long as your view doesn't include me in it. Then we will
> get along just fine.

Sorry, I thought mature adults can give honest opinions on a variety of
subjects. Maybe you just don't know.

I don't care what you post or how you post it, that was someone else.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 12:39:41 AM6/29/15
Mature adults can give honest opinions most times. In this group it
hardly seems worth the hassles so I just stick with the facts. Sorry
about not being clear - I don't literally mean you. I understand that
you don't care about how I post or if you do, you refrain from giving
your opinion. This is much appreciated!

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 12:42:16 AM6/29/15
On 6/28/2015 4:08 PM, Bruce wrote:
> Microsoft made computers acceptable for non nerds, like most of yall
> here. That's quite a performance. And they're not about to fade away
> just yet.

Me, I can't wait for Microsoft to die and just blow away in the wind.
Hee hee.
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 3:06:49 AM6/29/15
On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 7:17:37 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 18:42:18 -1000, dsi1
> <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On 6/28/2015 4:08 PM, Bruce wrote:

> >> Microsoft made computers acceptable for non nerds, like most of yall
> >> here. That's quite a performance. And they're not about to fade away
> >> just yet.
> >>

> >Me, I can't wait for Microsoft to die and just blow away in the wind.
> >Hee hee.
>
> What operating system did you go on the internet with for the first
> time?
>
> --
> Bruce

That would be BASIC on a Commodore 64. I loved that machine! Who the heck didn't?

Gary

Jun 29, 2015, 4:52:18 AM6/29/15
> That would be BASIC on a Commodore 64. I loved that machine! Who the heck didn't?

My first was the Commodore Vic-20. Next was the C-64. I loved them and
I've still got them.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dave Smith

Jun 29, 2015, 8:35:07 AM6/29/15
On 2015-06-29 3:06 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>> What operating system did you go on the internet with for the first
>> time?
>>
>> --
>> Bruce
>
> That would be BASIC on a Commodore 64. I loved that machine! Who the heck didn't?

For me, it was BASIC on a COCO II. Then MS DOS. It was pretty
primitive, but things got a heck of a lot better with Windows.

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 29, 2015, 9:11:39 AM6/29/15
On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 5:06:25 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> You went to www.someaddress with your Vic 20?

www.someaddress isn't "the Internet". It's "the world wide web".
The Internet predated the http protocol.

My first experience with the Internet was on an Amdahl 470 mainframe.
My second was on a VAX 6000.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 29, 2015, 11:34:51 AM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 12:39 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> Mature adults can give honest opinions most times. In this group it
> hardly seems worth the hassles so I just stick with the facts.

You do have a point there.

jmcquown

Jun 29, 2015, 11:54:52 AM6/29/15
On 6/28/2015 9:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> W7 is very good. My wife has a small laptop with 8.1 and it is
> terrible. My computer guy has been using pre-release beta versions of
> W10 for about a year and he says it is ok to upgrade. Works very
> similar to W7. He says to do a manual install to be sure you get the
> right features, like no tiles.

The computer I use at work has Win8. What bugs me about it is this:
It's a computer for work. But I have to maneuver past all the crap that
loads as part of the desktop. Pre-installed apps. Shopping apps, music
apps, you name it there's a pre-installed app for it. It was
(apparently) written for smartphones and touch screens. Sorry, I don't
work at McDonald's and I'm using the machine for business not for
shopping at Zappos.

I haven't seen Windows 10. If it's akin to Win7 I'll be okay with it.
Meanwhile, as long as this PC lasts I'll stick with Win7. In fact, I
have a spare Win7 PC so chances are I won't have to deal with any
upgrades for a few years. :)

Jill

Janet B

Jun 29, 2015, 12:13:29 PM6/29/15
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 11:54:46 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

snip

>The computer I use at work has Win8. What bugs me about it is this:
>It's a computer for work. But I have to maneuver past all the crap that
>loads as part of the desktop. Pre-installed apps. Shopping apps, music
>apps, you name it there's a pre-installed app for it. It was
>(apparently) written for smartphones and touch screens. Sorry, I don't
>work at McDonald's and I'm using the machine for business not for
>shopping at Zappos.
>
>I haven't seen Windows 10. If it's akin to Win7 I'll be okay with it.
>Meanwhile, as long as this PC lasts I'll stick with Win7. In fact, I
>have a spare Win7 PC so chances are I won't have to deal with any
>upgrades for a few years. :)
>
>Jill
I don't have Win 8. Are you not able to take these apps off of the
Startup Menu?
Janet US

jmcquown

Jun 29, 2015, 12:35:14 PM6/29/15
Well, it's a work computer so I'm not at liberty to do just anthing I
want to with the machine. BUT... it starts up with these apps loaded.
And good luck finding the friggin' START menu! Windows 8 is that bad.

Whoever set it up had it set to turn on the screen saver every 60
seconds. How annoying! Not just a simple click from the Start Menu to
get to the Control Panel. No, that would be too easy. That was one
thing I felt I could change since I was the one sitting in front of it
every day.

I don't know enough about Win8 to take a chance trying to change what it
loads on Startup. If it was my PC I might (after backing it up first).
I just know I do not like Win8.

Jill

Janet B

Jun 29, 2015, 12:50:06 PM6/29/15
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:35:07 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Wow! That is annoying.
Janet US

sf

Jun 29, 2015, 12:50:48 PM6/29/15
wrote:

> And good luck finding the friggin' START menu! Windows 8 is that bad.

Have you tried this?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/where-is-start-menu
Where is the Start menu?

The Start screen replaces the Start menu in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT
8.1. Open Start by swiping in from the right edge of the screen and
then tapping Start. (Or, if you're using a mouse, point to the
lower-left corner of the screen, move your mouse all the way into the
corner, and then click Start.)

--

sf

sf

Jun 29, 2015, 12:56:57 PM6/29/15
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 08:35:03 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> For me, it was BASIC on a COCO II. Then MS DOS. It was pretty
> primitive, but things got a heck of a lot better with Windows.

Absolutely hated DOS and still have that cheater bar/ruler to remind
myself how much I didn't like it and why. Loved my Win3.1. I don't
use shortcuts, never will and use a little program called All Chars
when I need to insert a degree symbol or cent sign. I still worship
the ground Bill walks on although I haven't liked all the upgrades
since then as much as I liked that one.

--

sf

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 29, 2015, 1:42:25 PM6/29/15

"Bruce" wrote in message

>And you went on the Internet with it? www etc? Bulletin boards
>are
>another matter.

The earliest browsers were text based, no GUI. You could "surf"
from a command prompt. The capability was built in to DOS and
Win 3.1.

jmcquown

Jun 29, 2015, 1:43:30 PM6/29/15
Swiping? I'm using it on a work computer with a mouse and a keyboard,
not a smartphone. It sucks. Why should I have to move the mouse all
the way past the bullshit apps to get to a basic operating function way
up in the corner?

It was written for kids. Or for people who are obsessed with
smartphones. Not for people who are trying to do any work using a computer.

Jill

Troll Disposal Service

Jun 29, 2015, 1:45:07 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 11:42 AM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> The earliest browsers were text based
No one cares.

Get OUT!

_,..._
/__ \
>< `. \
/_ \ |
\-_ /:|
,--'..'. :
,' `.
_,' \
_.._,--'' , |
, ,',, _| _,.'| | |
\\||/,'(,' '--'' | | |
_ ||| | /-' |
| | (- -)<`._ | / /
| | \_\O/_/`-.(<< |____/ /
| | / \ / -'| `--.'|
| | \___/ / /
| | H H / | |
|_|_..-H-H--.._ / ,| |
|-.._"_"__..-| | _-/ | |
| | | | \_ |
| Sqwerty | | | | |
| & | |____| | |
| Marty | _..' | |____|
jrei | |_(____..._' _.' |
`-..______..-'"" (___..--'

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 1:54:10 PM6/29/15
On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 11:05:25 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> And you went on the Internet with it? www etc? Bulletin boards are
> another matter.
>
> --
> Bruce

No internet in the early 80s. I did have a modem though.

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 2:10:13 PM6/29/15
The Commodores were my machines of choice for a programming class I took. To start programming you just had to type out a number line. The Macs and the PCs had to have other programs loaded in to program. I didn't have the time to do that. You could program, run, and debug, on the fly. The Commodores allowed me to be faster than the other students.

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 29, 2015, 2:18:37 PM6/29/15

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

>W7 is very good. My wife has a small laptop with 8.1 and it is
>terrible. My computer guy has been using pre-release beta
>versions of W10 for about a year and he says it is ok to
>upgrade. Works very similar to W7. He says to do a manual
>install to be sure you get the right features, like no tiles.

Having to go to a smartphone-style interface to use as a Start
menu was the major failure of Win 8. There's a desktop, but many
programs won't even drop a shortcut there, only in the tiles.
Something broke in my Win 8 where the Win Store no longer works,
nor do many of it's installed apps, and I don't care. I just
install desktop style apps. Win wants me to "refresh" (the new
phony word for reinstall) to fix the Win Store issue. I see no
reason to be bothered with it. I'm pretty much using Win 8 as if
it was 7.

I have no idea if the free Win 10 upgrade will fix the Win Store
and Apps issue, but if not, no big deal to me.

MartyB

Troll Disposal Service

Jun 29, 2015, 2:22:31 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 12:18 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> no big deal to me.
>
> MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 29, 2015, 2:29:26 PM6/29/15

"Bruce" wrote ...

>On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 10:44:44 -1000, dsi1
>made up some of its usual ridiculous crappetycrapcrap:

>>Too bad you think that your 90s programs are the cat's meow.
>>Your reader
>>forces you to stick with Windows - how backwards is that? It's
>>people
>>like you that won't allow Microsoft to fade away into the
>>night simply
>>because you're afraid of changing. Hope you're proud of
>>yourself. Hee hee.

>Microsoft made computers acceptable for non nerds, like most of
>yall
>here. That's quite a performance. And they're not about to fade
>away
>just yet.

>--
>Bruce

ds1 is our self appointed technology expert... oh, also self
taught... badly self taught, and lacking the appropriate
outbound filters most of us possess to prevent our mouths from
making fools of us. It's made far more ridiculous false
proclamations and predictions about technology than anyone else
here, even sf. ds1 is a reliable bullshit spigot.

Troll Disposal Service

Jun 29, 2015, 2:30:41 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 12:29 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> ds1 is a reliable bullshit spigot.

el Durian

Jun 29, 2015, 3:09:56 PM6/29/15
Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> and lacking the appropriate outbound filters most of us possess to
> prevent our mouths from making fools of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-YvDJmJN20

5:28 - Jethro leers his way to BBQ infamy!

"We did Shawnee is the last one we did, we didn't win anything in the
meats..."

"My secret ingredient is Marty souce.."

http://www.nationalbbqrankings.com/ranking/team/4202

Ribs Contests
Contests since 23/Apr/2010
Current rank: 818th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Pork Contests
Contests since 24/Apr/2009
Current rank: 2016th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

el Durian

Jun 29, 2015, 3:10:22 PM6/29/15
Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> I see no reason to be bothered with it.

jinx the minx

Jun 29, 2015, 3:37:10 PM6/29/15
You can bypass the Start screen in 8 and go straight to the desktop after
logging in. I think a lot of users might not be aware of that? I've never
looked at tile world again since figuring that out.
--
jinx the minx

Gregory Morrow

Jun 29, 2015, 4:16:32 PM6/29/15
Yep, I go straight to the desktop, never see the tile screen unless I bring it up...

--
Best
Greg

sf

Jun 29, 2015, 4:20:18 PM6/29/15
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:43:24 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 6/29/2015 12:50 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:35:07 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> And good luck finding the friggin' START menu! Windows 8 is that bad.
> >
> > Have you tried this?
> >
> > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/where-is-start-menu
> > Where is the Start menu?
> >
> > The Start screen replaces the Start menu in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT
> > 8.1. Open Start by swiping in from the right edge of the screen and
> > then tapping Start. (Or, if you're using a mouse, point to the
> > lower-left corner of the screen, move your mouse all the way into the
> > corner, and then click Start.)
> >
> Swiping? I'm using it on a work computer with a mouse and a keyboard,
> not a smartphone. It sucks. Why should I have to move the mouse all
> the way past the bullshit apps to get to a basic operating function way
> up in the corner?

Welcome to the modern world. Sounds like you didn't take the time
read what I posted before you reacted. Mouse directions are included.
Computers have a touch screen option now. Mine could have come with a
touch screen if I wanted it, but I didn't.

> It was written for kids. Or for people who are obsessed with
> smartphones. Not for people who are trying to do any work using a computer.

Honestly, Jill. I don't care who or what it was written for. Your
boss bought the wrong computer OS for the office, probably because it
was cheap. The start button on 8.1 is hidden, but it exists. I told
you how to find it and the rest is up to you now.

--

sf

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 29, 2015, 4:38:28 PM6/29/15

"el Durian" emitted a foul odor and wrote...

what an appropriate nym you've chosen this time, boner lohman
mirada Pnut Durian, the fruit that is known for stinking to high
heaven.

Troll Disposal Service

Jun 29, 2015, 4:44:47 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 2:38 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> what an appropriate nym you've chosen
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Roy

Jun 29, 2015, 5:09:03 PM6/29/15
I loved the Commodore 64. I used to stay up all night
programming, testing, debugging, adding machine language
routines and compiling. Great brain exercise and satisfying
when things went right.
Great games as well...how they got so much out of that
machine was sheer genius.
===

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 29, 2015, 5:37:27 PM6/29/15

"Bruce" wrote in message

>Yes, so maybe they were telnetting or gophering or something on
>their
>Commodore computers.

>--
>Bruce

No, you could type in an address prefaced with www and if the
address was good you got a directory of what was available to
you at that site.

Julie Bove

Jun 29, 2015, 5:46:08 PM6/29/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Or the timing could have been such that it was all that was available. Such
was the case when one of our computers here broke and had to be replaced.
But we don't have problems with it. Then again, we use Smartphones.

Message has been deleted

Troll Disposal Service

Jun 29, 2015, 6:01:25 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 3:37 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> No, you could type in an address

jmcquown

Jun 29, 2015, 6:02:07 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 4:20 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:43:24 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

Smartphones. Not for people who are trying to do any work using a computer.

> Honestly, Jill. I don't care who or what it was written for. Your
> boss bought the wrong computer OS for the office, probably because it
> was cheap. The start button on 8.1 is hidden, but it exists. I told
> you how to find it and the rest is up to you now.

I did find it, but you shouldn't have to HUNT for it. She bought a
Toshiba laptop and that's the opsys came with it.

Jill

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 29, 2015, 6:20:52 PM6/29/15

"Bruce" wrote in message

>>No, you could type in an address prefaced with www and if the
>>address was good you got a directory of what was available to
>>you at that site.

>On a VIC-20?

Presumably on any computer with an internet connection and a
program to enable text based browsing. I remember typing in text
commands to get to a site in Japan. You didn't type in "FTP" or
similar, you typed an address into the command line in DOS and
3.1, and you got a directory from which you could download files
which could then be displayed on appropriate software. Which is
what your browser still does behind the GUI. I can't comment
specifically on a VIC-20 but it would have needed some software
to enable text based browsing.

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 6:28:43 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 10:56 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 06:11:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> You went to www.someaddress with your Vic 20?
>>
>> www.someaddress isn't "the Internet". It's "the world wide web".
>> The Internet predated the http protocol.
>
> Yes, but I'd like to know in what way a VIC-20 or a C-64 used the
> internet, regardless which aspect of it.

You're not very clear at what info you want. The first OS that I used to
access the web was MS-Dos. These days most people use iOS or Android -
neither of which is a Microsoft product. What is the point you're
trying to get across?

>> My first experience with the Internet was on an Amdahl 470 mainframe.
>> My second was on a VAX 6000.

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 6:33:54 PM6/29/15
Those were the days, man. The availability of dirt cheap ram and the
idea that everybody wanted a GUI and multi-tasking led us down a road
filled with trouble and fear. The new OSes are smaller and we run
smaller apps. This is like the days before all this humbug. A world
without Windows is a much brighter place. Hee hee.
Message has been deleted

jmcquown

Jun 29, 2015, 6:53:11 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 5:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Honestly, Jill. I don't care who or what it was written for. Your
>> boss bought the wrong computer OS for the office, probably because it
>> was cheap. The start button on 8.1 is hidden, but it exists. I told
>> you how to find it and the rest is up to you now.
>
> Or the timing could have been such that it was all that was available.
> Such was the case when one of our computers here broke and had to be
> replaced. But we don't have problems with it. Then again, we use
> Smartphones.

Correct, Julie. Win8 is what was available when she bought the laptop
in March. So, I deal with it. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Jill

Troll Disposal Service

Jun 29, 2015, 7:03:53 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 4:20 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> it would have needed some software

el Durian

Jun 29, 2015, 7:16:07 PM6/29/15
Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> I can't comment specifically

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-YvDJmJN20

5:28 - Jethro leers his way to BBQ infamy!
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"We did Shawnee is the last one we did, we didn't win anything in the
meats..."

el Durian

Jun 29, 2015, 7:16:31 PM6/29/15
Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> No, you could type in an address

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 7:27:01 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 12:40 PM, Bruce wrote:
> I asked: "What operating system did you go on the internet with for
> the first time?"
>
> You replied "BASIC on a Commodore 64".
>
> Who was confused?
>
> Now you say "MS-DOS". For most other people, it would be Windows. Both
> Microsoft, of course, and that's the point I wanted to make. Bill
> Gates got us all on the Internet. Hurray for him.

The real facts is that it was Prodigy and AOL that got people
introduced/connected to the web. If you want to idolize Bill Gates
that's fine with me. You won't hear a negative word about your opinions
from me. Now that's a promise you can count on! :-)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 7:45:40 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 1:37 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:26:57 -1000, dsi1
> 'idolize' is a negative word about my opinions, but nevertheless, I
> won't call you a hypocrite.
>
> I'd ask under which OS AOL worked, but I don't think you know what an
> OS is.

Killfile me please! I don't have all day answering all your questions!
Message has been deleted

Troll Disposal Service

Jun 29, 2015, 7:57:31 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 5:39 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:16:05 -0600, el Durian <e...@sti.nk> wrote:
>
> I wish these trolls would decide on just one name for easier
> killfiling.

Bwucie baby, chill out.

Alex

Jun 29, 2015, 8:02:46 PM6/29/15
You can still buy Windows 7 PCs and laptops today!

Bryan-TGWWW

Jun 29, 2015, 8:39:06 PM6/29/15
On Friday, June 26, 2015 at 4:44:11 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Miss Kitty" <tracye...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 5:47:44 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> Whole Foods screwed people again. I am thankful that I don't shop there
> >> often. I did buy a couple of pairs of shoes in there so I know I wasn't
> >> overcharged on those. Our store seems to no longer sell shoes. And I
> >> normally buy only one bag of things, not normally full so it's not hard
> >> see if the things are ringing up correctly. However, I am not sure if I
> >> have bought things to which this article would apply. If I did, it
> >> wasn't
> >> much at all.
> >>
> >> http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/agency-says-whole-foods-overcharges-worst-case-mislabeling-n381026?cid=sm_fb
> >
> > You buy shoes at a grocery store? And NBC is not a "news" outlet, it's a
> > tabloid on a par with the National Enquirer.
>
> Yes. They used to sell Toms and they had styles that Nordstrom did not.

I am of the opinion that no one should sell Toms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom's_Cabin

Though I might make an exception for "Uncle Clarence."

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/clarence+thomas.jpg

--Bryan

Jeßus

Jun 29, 2015, 8:43:19 PM6/29/15
On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 19:31:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

>On 6/28/2015 4:44 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Too bad you think that your 90s programs are the cat's meow. Your reader
>> forces you to stick with Windows - how backwards is that? It's people
>> like you that won't allow Microsoft to fade away into the night simply
>> because you're afraid of changing. Hope you're proud of yourself. Hee hee.
>
>What is better? Linux? PITA and lacks drivers.

LOL, as if dsi1 could use a real Linux distro for a PC...

>Android? Won't run many programs.
>Apple OS? Control freaks that will never get a penny
>from me.

Agreed.

Jeßus

Jun 29, 2015, 8:50:07 PM6/29/15
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:26:57 -1000, dsi1
<ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

>The real facts is that it was Prodigy and AOL that got people
>introduced/connected to the web.

Horseshit. It was though BBSs offering Internet connectivity as well
as BBS services.

Jeßus

Jun 29, 2015, 8:53:22 PM6/29/15
On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:54:06 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 11:05:25 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 00:06:43 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
>> wrote:

>> >That would be BASIC on a Commodore 64. I loved that machine! Who the heck didn't?
>>
>> And you went on the Internet with it? www etc? Bulletin boards are
>> another matter.
>>

>No internet in the early 80s. I did have a modem though.

All you needed was a null modem cable for the RS-232 port on the C-64.

jmcquown

Jun 29, 2015, 8:56:39 PM6/29/15
Of course you can if you're looking for them. I have no idea what my
boss was looking for other than a new Toshiba laptop. She just bought
what Best Buy had in stock and it came loaded with Windows 8. A tech
geek she isn't. I found out she doesn't even run backups. She found
out the hard way at the beginning of June, oh gee... can't get the point
of sale system to open. I said, "Don't you have a backup?" Nope. She
lost nearly all her data and was hand-writing receipts for a day.

I back up my computer and there isn't even anything really important on it.

Jill

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 29, 2015, 10:27:21 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 8:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Correct, Julie. Win8 is what was available when she bought the laptop
>>> in March. So, I deal with it. That doesn't mean I have to like it.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> You can still buy Windows 7 PCs and laptops today!
>
> Of course you can if you're looking for them. I have no idea what my
> boss was looking for other than a new Toshiba laptop. She just bought
> what Best Buy had in stock and it came loaded with Windows 8. A tech
> geek she isn't.

Therein lies the problem. If you go to the major big box stores all you
will see is W8.1. Real computer stores can get you what works.

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 29, 2015, 10:31:39 PM6/29/15
For every one person on the BBS, there were 20 connecting because they
got the AOL disk in the mail. They made it easy.

Nancy Young

Jun 29, 2015, 10:56:05 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 10:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Therein lies the problem. If you go to the major big box stores all you
> will see is W8.1. Real computer stores can get you what works.

Ron got a load of Windows 8 on a new laptop and couldn't
return it fast enough. Not too long after that I noticed
places advertising computers with Windows 7! We're not talking
leftovers, either. 8 was a massive flop.

nancy

Nellie

Jun 29, 2015, 11:01:38 PM6/29/15
Lol, those things were everywhere. I remember newspaper and magazines 'how to' columns giving ideas as to what to do with them. One was the hang them on your fruit trees to keep birds and varmints away.

Nellie

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 11:11:02 PM6/29/15
That's the goofiest idea I ever heard of. You needed to connect a modem
to the C-64. A null modem cable is not a modem and the C-64 didn't have
a modem internally. As far as I know, everybody had to connect the modem
to the expansion port. I don't recall these machines having an RS-232
port anyway. Perhaps they did in dreamland. :-)

My guess is that more people were connecting to the internet with the
C-64 than any other machine of the period.

dsi1

Jun 29, 2015, 11:22:28 PM6/29/15
On 6/29/2015 1:49 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:45:37 -1000, dsi1
I don't know or care much how you feel about Mr. Gates. Personally, I
admire him AND can't wait until the day I'm free of Windows. I loved
MS-Dos but pretty much had to be dragged kicking and screaming to
finally load Windows 98 into my PC. I thought that was bad but there's
no way I could have predicted how much of a bummer of a trip these last
16 or so years have been. I guess you guys have been in this shitty
situation for so long that you're feeling comfortable with it all.

>>> I'd ask under which OS AOL worked, but I don't think you know what an
>>> OS is.
>>>

>> Killfile me please! I don't have all day answering all your questions!
>
> Relax, I didn't ask anything.

Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

Jun 30, 2015, 12:31:47 AM6/30/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 17:22:28 -1000, dsi1
> I don't understand this problem. I've never had an operating system
> that I couldn't make work for me, from before MS-DOS to Windows 8. You
> have been through a 16 year long hell that I must be immune to.

You must not have had WinME. I was sooo happy to get rid of that! Wouldn't
play most games. Would work on some for a while, then it wouldn't. And
constant crashes or having to reboot because it locked up. I am glad that I
didn't have to use it for business purposes.

Julie Bove

Jun 30, 2015, 12:33:16 AM6/30/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
True. I was just explaining why the business owner might have had to get
it.

Julie Bove

Jun 30, 2015, 12:34:44 AM6/30/15

"Alex" <no...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Maybe you can but the store where we got Angela's new computer had none
available.

Julie Bove

Jun 30, 2015, 12:35:28 AM6/30/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Why doesn't she get Carbonite?

Julie Bove

Jun 30, 2015, 12:36:24 AM6/30/15

"Nancy Young" <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote in message
I know two people who seem to like it and I had no problems with it although
I only used it briefly.

It is loading more messages.