Dry milk price!

KenK

Oct 21, 2014, 10:47:53 AM10/21/14
I bought 25 oz of store brand low-fat dried milk last week. Almost $8! I
don't remember it being so expensive last time I purchased some. It's
likely been a very long time - I only use it for cooking and that very
seldom. But still $8!

Message has been deleted

Janet Bostwick

Oct 21, 2014, 12:33:16 PM10/21/14
On 21 Oct 2014 14:47:53 GMT, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

>I bought 25 oz of store brand low-fat dried milk last week. Almost $8! I
>don't remember it being so expensive last time I purchased some. It's
>likely been a very long time - I only use it for cooking and that very
>seldom. But still $8!

I have powdered milk on my shopping list also. I was stunned by the
price on one of those little boxes -- $8. I decided I would see if I
could get some in the bulk section of another store. I only keep it
for baking and when I run out of milk. You're right, it never used to
be that expensive.
Janet US
Message has been deleted

Janet Bostwick

Oct 21, 2014, 1:26:24 PM10/21/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:02:18 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On 21 Oct 2014 14:47:53 GMT, KenK wrote:
>
>> I bought 25 oz of store brand low-fat dried milk last week. Almost $8! I
>> don't remember it being so expensive last time I purchased some. It's
>> likely been a very long time - I only use it for cooking and that very
>> seldom. But still $8!
>
>In the 'spirit' of RFC, why not make your own dried milk and not buy
>that crappy commercial stuff?
>
><snork>
>
>-sw
It's been years since I bought any. It's an emergency product that I
try to keep on hand. It comes in handy from time to time.
Janet US

Bregs

Oct 21, 2014, 1:58:16 PM10/21/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 12:02:18 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> In the 'spirit' of RFC, why not make your own dried milk and not buy
> that crappy commercial stuff?

> I have space for rent inside Barbara's head. It's priced to
> move - well below market price.

> I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
> the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
> I'll give it to you.

> You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat fuck asshole.
> You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.
>
> You lose again.
>
> -sw
Message has been deleted

sf

Oct 21, 2014, 4:48:39 PM10/21/14
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:13:47 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

> On 21-Oct-2014, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
> > On 21 Oct 2014 14:47:53 GMT, KenK wrote:
> >
> > > I bought 25 oz of store brand low-fat dried milk last week. Almost $8! I
> > >
> > > don't remember it being so expensive last time I purchased some. It's
> > > likely been a very long time - I only use it for cooking and that very
> > > seldom. But still $8!
> >
> > In the 'spirit' of RFC, why not make your own dried milk and not buy
> > that crappy commercial stuff?
> >
> > <snork>
> >
> > -sw
>
> And, when you do, don't wimp out and use skim milk. Buy full-fat milk,
> remove the cream and make your own butter and buttermilk. It's really easy.
> 8-)

And make sure you buy an Excalibur because no other dehydrator will
do.

Kalmia

Oct 21, 2014, 7:56:50 PM10/21/14
On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:47:53 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> I bought 25 oz of store brand low-fat dried milk last week. Almost $8! I
>
> don't remember it being so expensive last time I purchased some. It's
>
> likely been a very long time - I only use it for cooking and that very
>
> seldom. But still $8!

Versus buying whole milk by the gallon, what does this equate to in dollars and cents when you add the water? Still prob. about half the price, no?

Julie Bove

Oct 21, 2014, 9:03:38 PM10/21/14

"l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message

> On 21-Oct-2014, KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I bought 25 oz of store brand low-fat dried milk last week. Almost $8! I
>> don't remember it being so expensive last time I purchased some. It's
>> likely been a very long time - I only use it for cooking and that very
>> seldom. But still $8!
>
> That's about what I usually pay at Aldi - I figure $1/quart. Most
> recently, I have been using Sanalac which I bought at Big Lots! at a price
> of $6 for 32 ounces - roughly 60 cents/quart. I hope to find Sanalac
> again;
> it is much better than the store brands or Carnation I have previously
> used.
> Carnation, at Sam's Club is usually comparably priced (on a per quart
> basis); but, you have to buy a larger container that may not be
> appropriate
> for you situation.

I quit buying the dried because it was so expensive. I used to use it in
baking and cooking. Now I just stock up on the shelf stable at Dollar Tree.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 21, 2014, 10:00:52 PM10/21/14
On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:03:38 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I quit buying the dried because it was so expensive. I used to use it in
> baking and cooking. Now I just stock up on the shelf stable at Dollar Tree.

That's very interesting.

Message has been deleted

Ophelia

Oct 22, 2014, 7:03:40 AM10/22/14

<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message
lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Oct 22, 2014, 7:04:13 AM10/22/14

"JohnJohn" <Jo...@John.invalid> wrote in message
> As opposed to your nasty drivel.

Ahh you have noticed too? :))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove

Oct 22, 2014, 7:20:16 AM10/22/14

"Ophelia" <Oph...@Elsinore.invalid> wrote in message
She only seems to have a few responses too. Mostly the same. Except for
when she went off on a rant and called me some politically incorrect names.

Bryan-TGWWW

Oct 22, 2014, 8:44:24 PM10/22/14
On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:03:38 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
I'm glad that there are folks out there who will drink icky tasting milk,
because otherwise they wouldn't make that crappy tasting shelf stable
milk, and I use it to culture probiotics, where taste isn't really an
issue.

Julie, they also sell soy milk, which you should consider using to also
culture probiotic. Some of your myriad of health problems might be
improved if you were to do so.

--Bryan

Moe DeLoughan

Oct 23, 2014, 5:16:26 PM10/23/14
That's too bad. What are you going to do about it?

Dave Smith

Oct 23, 2014, 5:40:50 PM10/23/14
LMAO

jmcquown

Oct 23, 2014, 6:54:23 PM10/23/14
I haven't priced it lately. Still, considering the price of actual milk
I guess it evens out. I remember when I was a kid I guess Mom was
trying to save some money so she bought and reconstituted some dry milk.
That stuff was nasty! Having said that, do I have some dry milk "in
case of emergency"... what emergency, I don't know. :)

Jill

Janet Bostwick

Oct 23, 2014, 8:38:22 PM10/23/14
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:54:15 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I used to use it for bread making. Then I decided that I preferred
scalding fresh milk instead since the drying did not negate the enzyme
in the milk that affects rise. I keep it around for those times that
I am into a recipe that calls for one quarter cup milk, I open the
fridge and find out there is no milk there. We don't drink milk so
forgetting to get some is easily done.
Janet US

Kalmia

Oct 23, 2014, 8:47:19 PM10/23/14
I never run out. I buy a gallon, separate into quart containers, freeze 3 of em.
Pull one to thaw when my working quart is down to half.

jmcquown

Oct 23, 2014, 8:57:49 PM10/23/14
I try always to have milk on hand. Then again, I drink milk. I find a
cold glass of milk refreshing. :) I don't bake bread so there's no real
reason for me to have a container of dry milk, yet I do.

Jill

Janet Bostwick

Oct 23, 2014, 9:55:00 PM10/23/14
I could try that. Thanks
Janet US

Julie Bove

Oct 23, 2014, 11:13:00 PM10/23/14

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
I glanced at the price. $something for a small box. Nope. Won't do it. I
also bought a turnip and a rutabaga. For some reason they only had organic.
Then of course the cashier didn't know what they were. Oh and... Get this!
They had peeled onions! White and red. In the refrigerated case. Yep,
peeled, whole onions. Both kinds were $2.99 per pound. Forget that! How
hard is it to peel an onion? And they sure won't keep once you buy them
that way. But... That was the only way that my dad would buy them. Why?
Because he said they were cleaner.

This store was QFC. That may well be why I hadn't seen peeled ones as I
don't shop there very often. But this week they had the best price on soda
plus they sent me a coupon for $5 off a $50 order. My dad did shop at QFC a
lot if only because it was the closest store to his house. And for a time
that was the case with me so I did shop there then. In those days they had
a wonderful salad bar. That's not the case any more.

Julie Bove

Oct 23, 2014, 11:14:07 PM10/23/14

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
What enzyme in milk affects the rise? I thought milk was only added to make
the bread softer.

Julie Bove

Oct 23, 2014, 11:16:04 PM10/23/14

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
I mainly used it when I made mashed potatoes from scratch. That way I could
use the cooking water for extra flavor. I got that tip from a very old
cookbook.

Janet Bostwick

Oct 24, 2014, 12:27:55 AM10/24/14
Protease weakens the gluten and makes bread tougher. scalding
inactivates the protease. Drying does not. Special dry 'baking' milk
is available. It's expensive.
Janet US

Julie Bove

Oct 24, 2014, 2:01:28 AM10/24/14

"Janet Bostwick" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
Hmmm... I did not know this.

Brooklyn1

Oct 24, 2014, 11:18:50 AM10/24/14
KenK wrote:

> I bought 25 oz of store brand low-fat dried milk last week. Almost $8! I
> don't remember it being so expensive last time I purchased some. It's
> likely been a very long time - I only use it for cooking and that very
> seldom. But still $8!

Nothing is priced like in the Old Days anymore (6 years ago).
Fresh whole milk isn't inexpensive either.
Have you seen the price of canned evap lately, a 12 oz can of
Carnation is $1.25... makes ya wanna find a lactating woman.
Powdered costs less in larger sizes:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Instant-Dry-Milk-64-oz/10415475

Brooklyn1

Oct 24, 2014, 11:23:18 AM10/24/14
Kalmia wrote:
>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> I used to use it for bread making. Then I decided that I preferred
>> scalding fresh milk instead since the drying did not negate the enzyme
>> in the milk that affects rise. I keep it around for those times that
>> I am into a recipe that calls for one quarter cup milk, I open the
>> fridge and find out there is no milk there. We don't drink milk so
>> forgetting to get some is easily done.
>> Janet US
>
>I never run out. I buy a gallon, separate into quart containers, freeze 3 of em.
>Pull one to thaw when my working quart is down to half.

When you said "I never run out" I for sure thought you were going to
say you express your own. ;)

sf

Oct 24, 2014, 12:19:38 PM10/24/14
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:27:56 -0600, Janet Bostwick
<nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

> Protease weakens the gluten and makes bread tougher. scalding
> inactivates the protease. Drying does not. Special dry 'baking' milk
> is available. It's expensive.
> Janet US

I had no idea up to now about why milk is scalded for bread, thanks.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Janet Bostwick

Oct 24, 2014, 12:45:35 PM10/24/14
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:19:42 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:27:56 -0600, Janet Bostwick
><nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
>
>> Protease weakens the gluten and makes bread tougher. scalding
>> inactivates the protease. Drying does not. Special dry 'baking' milk
>> is available. It's expensive.
>> Janet US
>
>I had no idea up to now about why milk is scalded for bread, thanks.

You're welcome. It used to be because milk was not pasteurized and
the concern was that the bacteria in the milk would interfere with the
yeast. In the last 20 years or so, Shirley Corriher (food
scientist/author: "Cookwise" and "Bakewise") did experiments that
determined that there was an actual noticeable benefit to scalding
milk. Further testing showed that protease in unscalded milk affected
the gluten. There is a lot of research ongoing regarding enzymes in
ingredients in baking.
Scalding is simple enough to do. During the winter my kitchen is cold
and I would have a hard time ending with a kneaded dough at 80F
(optimal) Scalded milk heats my mixer, melts butter, soaks grains and
warms the flour.
Janet US

sf

Oct 24, 2014, 1:39:52 PM10/24/14
Can it be scalded in the microwave?

Janet Wilder

Oct 24, 2014, 1:41:25 PM10/24/14
On 10/24/2014 11:19 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:27:56 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
>
>> Protease weakens the gluten and makes bread tougher. scalding
>> inactivates the protease. Drying does not. Special dry 'baking' milk
>> is available. It's expensive.
>> Janet US
>
> I had no idea up to now about why milk is scalded for bread, thanks.

My white bread recipe uses powdered milk that is added to the dough. It
rises well and tastes very good.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

sf

Oct 24, 2014, 1:58:35 PM10/24/14
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:41:14 -0500, Janet Wilder <not...@notreal.com>
wrote:
Thanks!

Janet Bostwick

Oct 24, 2014, 2:37:41 PM10/24/14
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:39:55 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:45:31 -0600, Janet Bostwick
><nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
>
>> Scalding is simple enough to do. During the winter my kitchen is cold
>> and I would have a hard time ending with a kneaded dough at 80F
>> (optimal) Scalded milk heats my mixer, melts butter, soaks grains and
>> warms the flour.
>
>Can it be scalded in the microwave?
sure
Janet US

Janet Bostwick

Oct 24, 2014, 3:07:39 PM10/24/14
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:41:14 -0500, Janet Wilder <not...@notreal.com>
wrote:

Yes, of course it does. I changed back to scalding because I wanted
to get the most out of my dough. I'm part of a bread group and we are
always going for the extra. ;)
http://tinyurl.com/pp99wrr
The bread in pic is in 10x5x3 pans. I used to make the same recipe in
9x4x3 pans. That is a difference I can see.
Janet US

Ed Pawlowski

Oct 24, 2014, 5:52:02 PM10/24/14
It has to reach 180F or about 81C

sf

Oct 25, 2014, 1:42:47 AM10/25/14
On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 13:07:35 -0600, Janet Bostwick
<nos...@cableone.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 12:41:14 -0500, Janet Wilder <not...@notreal.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On 10/24/2014 11:19 AM, sf wrote:

> >> I had no idea up to now about why milk is scalded for bread, thanks.
> >>

> >My white bread recipe uses powdered milk that is added to the dough. It
> >rises well and tastes very good.
>
> Yes, of course it does. I changed back to scalding because I wanted
> to get the most out of my dough. I'm part of a bread group and we are
> always going for the extra. ;)
> http://tinyurl.com/pp99wrr
> The bread in pic is in 10x5x3 pans. I used to make the same recipe in
> 9x4x3 pans. That is a difference I can see.

Do you ever use a dough conditioner? If you do, what is it?

Julie Bove

Oct 25, 2014, 6:30:52 AM10/25/14

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:27:56 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
>
>> Protease weakens the gluten and makes bread tougher. scalding
>> inactivates the protease. Drying does not. Special dry 'baking' milk
>> is available. It's expensive.
>> Janet US
>
> I had no idea up to now about why milk is scalded for bread, thanks.

I didn't know that it was.

Janet Bostwick

Oct 25, 2014, 11:34:58 AM10/25/14
No, I never have.