Why Every Cook NEEDS A Meat Grinder

Brooklyn1

Nov 24, 2015, 10:14:50 AM11/24/15
There's no exact recipe for 'kotleti' (Russian burgers), I usually use
ground beef but chicken works well. Season how you like but no pre
ground mystery meat.
One of my favorite uses for skinless boneless chicken breasts,
Kotleti:
http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/main-course/chicken-kotleti/
https://nanciemcdermott.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/back-in-the-ussr-with-letslunch-kotleti-kasha-and-remembrance-of-things-past/

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 24, 2015, 12:46:23 PM11/24/15
On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 10:14:50 AM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> There's no exact recipe for 'kotleti' (Russian burgers), I usually use
> ground beef but chicken works well. Season how you like but no pre
> ground mystery meat.

What's the penalty for using ground meat from the grocery
store?

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2015, 1:24:05 PM11/24/15

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Sheldon will growl at you!!! So be warned!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Hidalgo

Nov 24, 2015, 2:12:08 PM11/24/15
And sputter about shopping at the "stupidmarket"...

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 24, 2015, 2:45:57 PM11/24/15
>> She cheered Boner on until we arrived at this.

"And I still do"

sf

Nov 24, 2015, 2:53:29 PM11/24/15
"> You are reaping what you sowed by feeding known trolls, dearie"

--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available.

ID: 47846596.

sf

Nov 24, 2015, 3:12:54 PM11/24/15

sf

Nov 24, 2015, 3:13:12 PM11/24/15
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:19:20 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>

Brooklyn1

Nov 24, 2015, 4:27:55 PM11/24/15
On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:46:10 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

You get over charged for dreck.

Ophelia

Nov 24, 2015, 4:53:48 PM11/24/15

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Is that true? I don't know but then I don't need to find out.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

pltrgyst

Nov 24, 2015, 8:06:21 PM11/24/15
On 11/24/15 12:46 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> What's the penalty for using ground meat from the grocery
> store?

You mean apart from low quality (flavor and texture) and potential
health hazards?

-- Larry

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2015, 5:45:13 AM11/25/15

"pltrgyst" <nn...@xhost.org> wrote in message
I am very fussy about my minced meat. I like to mince it and either cook or
freeze it immediately. The idea that it is sitting around half a day on
some counter ... Then there are those butchers who mince it for you. Who
knows what is in that mincer before your meat goes through it.

I don't complain about others' choices but they are not for me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 25, 2015, 6:44:04 AM11/25/15
Sorry, I wasn't specific. What's the penalty for using store-bought
meat in this particular recipe? Will Sheldon detect it and drive
over here to berate me? Will God strike me dead with lightning?

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 25, 2015, 6:49:19 AM11/25/15
If memory serves, I have twice in the past year gone to the grocery
store and purchased 1/2 pound of ground beef. That's it. My
entire home use of ground meat in a year has been 1 pound. I believe
1/4 pound is still in the freezer. It's just not worth grinding my own.

Yes, I have a grinder. It hasn't been used in years.

Cindy Hamilton

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 25, 2015, 6:56:30 AM11/25/15
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 03:49:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 4:27:55 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:46:10 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >What's the penalty for using ground meat from the grocery
>> >store?
>>
>> You get over charged for dreck.
>
>If memory serves, I have twice in the past year gone to the grocery
>store and purchased 1/2 pound of ground beef. That's it. My
>entire home use of ground meat in a year has been 1 pound. I believe
>1/4 pound is still in the freezer. It's just not worth grinding my own.
>
>Yes, I have a grinder. It hasn't been used in years.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Me too but if I want some then I would throw in the food processor,
mine does a job that's just as efficient as a grinder with less clean
up.

MisterDiddyWahDiddy

Nov 25, 2015, 8:06:21 AM11/25/15
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 4:45:13 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "pltrgyst" <nn...@xhost.org> wrote in message
> > On 11/24/15 12:46 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >> What's the penalty for using ground meat from the grocery
> >> store?
> >
> > You mean apart from low quality (flavor and texture) and potential health
> > hazards?
>
> I am very fussy about my minced meat. I like to mince it and either cook or
> freeze it immediately. The idea that it is sitting around half a day on
> some counter ... Then there are those butchers who mince it for you. Who
> knows what is in that mincer before your meat goes through it.

Really. Imagine if Klondike was the last one to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxYkAEDyGA

--Bryan

Brooklyn1

Nov 25, 2015, 9:31:05 AM11/25/15
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 4:27:55 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:46:10 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> >What's the penalty for using ground meat from the grocery
>> >store?
>>
>> You get over charged for dreck.
>
>If memory serves, I have twice in the past year gone to the grocery
>store and purchased 1/2 pound of ground beef. That's it. My
>entire home use of ground meat in a year has been 1 pound. I believe
>1/4 pound is still in the freezer. It's just not worth grinding my own.

For so little all you need is a wooden bowl and a chopping knife... at
least you'll still know what/who is in it... and will have many other
uses. This company has very nice wooden kitchen products at good
prices:
http://www.newhampshirebowlandboard.com/products/salad-chopper-mezzaluna-or-ulu-knife

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 25, 2015, 9:48:33 AM11/25/15
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:31:05 AM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 03:49:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 4:27:55 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> You get over charged for dreck.
> >
> >If memory serves, I have twice in the past year gone to the grocery
> >store and purchased 1/2 pound of ground beef. That's it. My
> >entire home use of ground meat in a year has been 1 pound. I believe
> >1/4 pound is still in the freezer. It's just not worth grinding my own.
>
> For so little all you need is a wooden bowl and a chopping knife... at
> least you'll still know what/who is in it...

Obviously, I don't care what's in it. It's meat.

FFS, I eat raw fish that I haven't seen prepared. It's
just not a problem.

Cindy Hamilton

Hidalgo

Nov 25, 2015, 11:02:42 AM11/25/15
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Will Sheldon detect it and drive
> over here to berate me?

No, he's too provincial to leave Noo Yawk for such affairs.

> Will God strike me dead with lightning?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Have you offended Him?

John Kuthe

Nov 25, 2015, 11:06:04 AM11/25/15
Yep! Which is why I let my favorite local STL gourmet grocer Straub's grind all my "ground beast" for me!! They use high quality sanitary beef and equipment, and make the best "ground beast" in STL, I'd bet! I KNOW it tastes better than Schnucks' ground beef!! Been there, had that, and NEVER AGAIN!!

John Kuthe...

Hidalgo

Nov 25, 2015, 11:06:59 AM11/25/15
John Kuthe wrote:
> They use high quality sanitary beef

IS that served with a sanitary "napkin", freakshow?

Gary

Nov 25, 2015, 11:38:23 AM11/25/15
Ophelia wrote:

> "pltrgyst" <nn...@xhost.org> wrote in message
> > On 11/24/15 12:46 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >> What's the penalty for using ground meat from the grocery
> >> store?
> >
> > You mean apart from low quality (flavor and texture) and potential health
> > hazards?
>
> I am very fussy about my minced meat. I like to mince it and either cook or
> freeze it immediately. The idea that it is sitting around half a day on
> some counter ... Then there are those butchers who mince it for you. Who
> knows what is in that mincer before your meat goes through it.

That does sound a bit tinhatly to me. ;)

Gary

Nov 25, 2015, 11:42:48 AM11/25/15
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> If memory serves, I have twice in the past year gone to the grocery
> store and purchased 1/2 pound of ground beef. That's it. My
> entire home use of ground meat in a year has been 1 pound. I believe
> 1/4 pound is still in the freezer. It's just not worth grinding my own.
>
> Yes, I have a grinder. It hasn't been used in years.

Only one pound per year. Really? I don't eat much ground meat myself
but certainly more than that. A grinder would be nice here but I
wouldn't use one enough to warrant the price. Sheldon pointed me to
one for about $165 a few years ago. Decent price but not for as much
as I would use one.

Gary

Nov 25, 2015, 11:44:46 AM11/25/15
lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> Me too but if I want some then I would throw in the food processor,
> mine does a job that's just as efficient as a grinder with less clean
> up.

I've been meaning to try that sometime. My little processor, a Ninja
Express, should do a decent job with a few pulses.

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2015, 12:07:18 PM11/25/15

"MisterDiddyWahDiddy" <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Aww it won't play for me:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2015, 12:07:18 PM11/25/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5655E3CC...@att.net...
Well I don't have a tin hat. Perhaps you can lend me yours? :))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Hidalgo

Nov 25, 2015, 12:10:21 PM11/25/15
Lead foil - word.

jmcquown

Nov 25, 2015, 12:11:35 PM11/25/15
Indeed it does. You weren't on RFC in 1999. I remember the date
because it was right before Y2K and I needed just a bit of ground pork
to make steamed pork crab & shrimp dumplings. The grocery store (I was
still in TN) had just changed hands. All I could find was 1 lb.
packages of Hormel cryo-vac'd ground pork. I didn't need a pound of
ground pork.

The butcher asked what I was looking for. I told him. He said the new
management wouldn't let him grind anything *but* beef. He told me he'd
been a butcher for 20 years and he sure as hell knew how to clean a
grinder between every grind. He basically said screw management and
ground 6 oz. of lean pork for me.

Thai Dumplings

3 oz. flaked crabmeat
6 oz ground pork
6 large shrimp, minced*
1 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp garlic salt (I use minced garlic and add some salt to the mix)
1-1/2 - 2-1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 egg
1-1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp peanut oil
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pkg wonton wrappers

*Since I rarely just have 6 large shrimp lying around, I buy a bag of
small frozen "salad shrimp" and measure out what I need... no need to
mince those, either! Place shrimp, crabmeat and pork in mixing bowl.
Blend in remaining ingredients except wonton wrappers and mix together
until firm (add a little more cornstarch if mixture is too wet). Hold a
wonton wrapper in one hand. Place 1 Tbsp filling in the center. Fold the
corners in to meet in the middle, squeezing to close the top. Moisten
fingers with water and gently seal (I noticed last night they look like
small whole heads of garlic when done!). Place in a lightly oiled
steamer basket. Steam (covered) over simmering water about 25 minutes.
Serve with dipping sauce (below).

Serves 4

Dipping sauce (or use whatever you like):
4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp hot water
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp thinly sliced ginger root

Blend all ingredients together. Let sit at least 30 minutes. Use as a
dipping sauce for dumplings.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 25, 2015, 12:39:32 PM11/25/15
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 11:42:48 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > If memory serves, I have twice in the past year gone to the grocery
> > store and purchased 1/2 pound of ground beef. That's it. My
> > entire home use of ground meat in a year has been 1 pound. I believe
> > 1/4 pound is still in the freezer. It's just not worth grinding my own.
> >
> > Yes, I have a grinder. It hasn't been used in years.
>
> Only one pound per year. Really?

That represents four hamburgers.

That's this past year. Other years, I've used more. Maybe
5 or 10 pounds. We eat mainly chicken, fish/shellfish, steak,
and pork loin, but very little ground meat.

In the past year, DH has lost 160 pounds; we weren't
eating a lot of beef.

Cindy Hamilton

graham

Nov 25, 2015, 12:47:04 PM11/25/15
You have to be careful not to overdo it as the FP action heats up the meat.
Graham

--
Atheism and Religion are but two sides of the same coin;
one uses its head, while the other relies on tales.

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2015, 1:36:08 PM11/25/15

"graham" <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
Yes I think so too, which is why I prefer not to use mine.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2015, 1:36:08 PM11/25/15

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Wow! Congratulations to him!!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cheri

Nov 25, 2015, 1:40:05 PM11/25/15

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
LOL, I don't believe that they would let Sheldon have a license to drive
anything other than a tractor, so it will probably take him a long time to
get there and you will already have used it by then. ;-)

Cheri

Cheri

Nov 25, 2015, 1:42:04 PM11/25/15

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I buy it often to make meat loaf, never had a problem or a
complaint...except maybe here which really doesn't mean squat to me since
some of the posters are obviously mentally ill. LOL

Cheri

Ed Pawlowski

Nov 25, 2015, 1:44:35 PM11/25/15
On 11/25/2015 12:39 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> In the past year, DH has lost 160 pounds; we weren't
> eating a lot of beef.

I know someone that lost that much too. Divorce.

Hidalgo

Nov 25, 2015, 1:53:39 PM11/25/15
160?!???

That's like an entire other human!

Congrats to him.

Hidalgo

Nov 25, 2015, 1:57:08 PM11/25/15
The Crystal Palace will have him plonked by the time he hits the state
line, literally!

LOL.

Hidalgo

Nov 25, 2015, 1:57:53 PM11/25/15
LOL.

Ophelia

Nov 25, 2015, 2:01:07 PM11/25/15

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
Ouch!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 25, 2015, 2:07:40 PM11/25/15
That's all it takes, don't overdo it.

S Viemeister

Nov 25, 2015, 2:23:11 PM11/25/15
I've tried that, but I don't like the texture.

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 2:57:19 PM11/25/15
On 11/24/2015 2:27 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:46:10 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 10:14:50 AM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> There's no exact recipe for 'kotleti' (Russian burgers), I usually use
>>> ground beef but chicken works well. Season how you like but no pre
>>> ground mystery meat.
>>
>> What's the penalty for using ground meat from the grocery
>> store?
>
> You get under charged for dreck.

"My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me."

Casa Boner, Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:37:53 -0600
--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:01:11 PM11/25/15
On 11/24/2015 6:06 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 11/24/15 12:46 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> What's the penalty for using ground meat from the grocery
>> store?
>
> You mean apart from low quality (flavor and texture) and potential
> health hazards?
>
> -- Larry

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:19:34 PM11/25/15

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:22:00 PM11/25/15

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:22:55 PM11/25/15
On 11/25/2015 11:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
>> On 11/25/2015 12:39 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>

>>> In the past year, DH has lost 160 pounds; we weren't
>>> eating a lot of beef.
>>>

>> I know someone that lost that much too. Divorce.
>
> Ouch!

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:27:05 PM11/25/15
On 11/24/2015 2:53 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:46:10 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> What's the penalty for using ground meat from the grocery
>>> store?
>>
>> You get over charged for dreck.
>
> Is that true? I don't know but then I don't need to find out.

sf

Nov 25, 2015, 4:32:09 PM11/25/15
It's more like a traditional mince than ground meat that goes through
the grinder 2 or 3 times. It has it's place.

--

sf

sf

Nov 25, 2015, 4:32:10 PM11/25/15
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:37:32 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > "pltrgyst" <nn...@xhost.org> wrote in message

> > > You mean apart from low quality (flavor and texture) and potential health
> > > hazards?
> >
> > I am very fussy about my minced meat. I like to mince it and either cook or
> > freeze it immediately. The idea that it is sitting around half a day on
> > some counter ... Then there are those butchers who mince it for you. Who
> > knows what is in that mincer before your meat goes through it.
>
> That does sound a bit tinhatly to me. ;)

Makes you wonder.

--

sf

Dave Smith

Nov 25, 2015, 5:15:38 PM11/25/15
LOL

cshenk

Nov 25, 2015, 5:42:31 PM11/25/15
lucreti...@fl.it wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 03:49:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 4:27:55 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> wrote: >> >> There's no exact recipe for 'kotleti' (Russian
> burgers), I usually use >> >> ground beef but chicken works well.
> Season how you like but no pre >> >> ground mystery meat.

> >> You get over charged for dreck.
> >
> > If memory serves, I have twice in the past year gone to the grocery
> > store and purchased 1/2 pound of ground beef. That's it. My
> > entire home use of ground meat in a year has been 1 pound. I believe
> > 1/4 pound is still in the freezer. It's just not worth grinding my
> > own.
> >
> > Yes, I have a grinder. It hasn't been used in years.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
>
> Me too but if I want some then I would throw in the food processor,
> mine does a job that's just as efficient as a grinder with less clean
> up.

Managed to work out your so you don't get a basically pink/red paste?
I like the distinct grind and generally the fatter blade grind (called
chili grind by some).
Carol

cshenk

Nov 25, 2015, 5:52:20 PM11/25/15
Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > If memory serves, I have twice in the past year gone to the grocery
> > store and purchased 1/2 pound of ground beef. That's it. My
> > entire home use of ground meat in a year has been 1 pound. I believe
> > 1/4 pound is still in the freezer. It's just not worth grinding my
> > own.
> >
> > Yes, I have a grinder. It hasn't been used in years.
>
> Only one pound per year. Really? I don't eat much ground meat myself
> but certainly more than that. A grinder would be nice here but I
> wouldn't use one enough to warrant the price. Sheldon pointed me to
> one for about $165 a few years ago. Decent price but not for as much
> as I would use one.

I just did up 40lbs bone in (chicken necks, backs and leg quarters)
with a neighbor here. While she finished bagging, I washed the machine
down and then we cut and ground 20lbs pork. We were done in a little
over an hour.

Key thing is we have need (pet feeding and other) for one and we get a
better (safer) meat. Your grocer may be fine, but if they get it
pre-ground from some mega facility, your chances go up that something
may be wrong with it.

Carol

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 25, 2015, 7:19:10 PM11/25/15
Assuming you mean, how do I get decent minced beef in the FP - I
render it to cubes about 1 1/2 inches square, toss in the FP and pulse
twice maybe three times and its done. Do not run the FP - also I
suppose you should only do enough for one, that's all I am doing.

John Kuthe

Nov 25, 2015, 8:24:35 PM11/25/15
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 10:06:59 AM UTC-6, Hidalgo wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > They use high quality sanitary beef
>
> IS that served with a sanitary "napkin", freakshow?

I took the college course on Foodservice Sanitation when I worked at the donut shop. Got an A in it too!! I'm a food sanitation nazi!

John Kuthe...

Groupkilla

Nov 25, 2015, 8:26:02 PM11/25/15
John Kuthe wrote:
> I'm a food sanitation nazi!
>
> John Kuthe...

Godwins law.

Janet B

Nov 25, 2015, 8:29:56 PM11/25/15
make sure the meat is cold. I've done 20 pounds or more. Just cube
the meat, keep it cold and only pulse the machine.
Janet US

pltrgyst

Nov 25, 2015, 10:10:49 PM11/25/15
On 11/25/15 6:56 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

> Me too but if I want some then I would throw in the food processor,
> mine does a job that's just as efficient as a grinder with less clean
> up.

Sorry, but that's not true for everybody. A food processor tears the
meat, creates wildly unevenly sized chunks with more surface area, and
is very difficult to time repeatedly for a particular result.

A decent grinder has plates for a wide range of sizes of meat "pellets",
produces a much more consistent result, and is perfectly repeatable. And
it can easily grind twenty pounds of meat in minutes.

Plus my grinder is considerably easier to clean and takes up less room
in the dishwasher than my food processor, even though it has one more
piece -- 5 vs. 4.

As an example, chili made with a food processor is just horrible. Chili
made with my largest grinder plate, with 1/2 inch holes, saves me a
half-hour of cubing beef by hand, and is terrific.

FWIW, for about ten years, I've been using a Maverick, from pleasanthill
grains.com:
http://pleasanthillgrain.com/maverick-5501-meat-grinder
$82 and well worth every penny.

-- Larry

sf

Nov 26, 2015, 12:47:14 AM11/26/15
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:26:10 -0700, Barbara Llorente maquerading as
Groupkilla <sqw...@marty.troll> wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>> I'm a food sanitation nazi!
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>
>Coleslaw.

What on earth are you two nattering about now? This is the perfect
example of why groups should be moderated.

sf

Nov 26, 2015, 12:47:38 AM11/26/15
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:26:10 -0700, Groupkilla <sqw...@marty.troll>

sf

Nov 26, 2015, 12:49:17 AM11/26/15
On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:29:50 -0700, Janet B <nos...@cableone.net>

sf

Nov 26, 2015, 12:51:23 AM11/26/15

sf

Nov 26, 2015, 1:00:33 AM11/26/15

sf

Nov 26, 2015, 1:02:59 AM11/26/15

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 4:19:27 AM11/26/15

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 26, 2015, 6:50:30 AM11/26/15
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 5:52:20 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> Key thing is we have need (pet feeding and other) for one and we get a
> better (safer) meat. Your grocer may be fine, but if they get it
> pre-ground from some mega facility, your chances go up that something
> may be wrong with it.

Ew. Yes. The meatcutters at my grocery store are behind a big window.
I can see the grinder in use.

Although I can't know what I might get in a restaurant, I wouldn't
knowingly buy meat that was ground at one of those mega facilities.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 8:31:27 AM11/26/15
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 5:52:20 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Key thing is we have need (pet feeding and other) for one and we get a
> > better (safer) meat. Your grocer may be fine, but if they get it
> > pre-ground from some mega facility, your chances go up that something
> > may be wrong with it.
>
> Ew. Yes. The meatcutters at my grocery store are behind a big window.
> I can see the grinder in use.

Same with mine, Cindy. My store processes large chunks of meat and
ground beef is made right there. I have no problem with theirs.

Good sale on ground beef at my regular store tomorrow thru next
Tuesday. $2.59 for ground beef (73% lean). That's the lowest price
I've seen here in years.

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 8:58:33 AM11/26/15
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> In the past year, DH has lost 160 pounds; we weren't
> eating a lot of beef.

I doubt the beef was the issue so much. Sounds like he wasn't eating
a lot of anything. That averages out to almost losing 1/2 pound
per day. Sounds like very low calories and lots of exercise to me.

Congratulations to him though! He's got a strong will and definite
bragging rights. Way to go, Cindy's DH. You are da man!

:-D

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 26, 2015, 9:02:44 AM11/26/15
I'm happy for him - I'd like to lose maybe 5-10lbs before my grandsons
wedding in Jamaica next spring. Mostly because I want to use a long
white linen skirt I already have and I look 'bulgy' in it at the
moment. That is the hardest weight to lose. I walk nearly every
day, eat very little meat, some lamb and some chicken but not
necessarily every meal. I have the feeling I will need to starve to
do it :( After Xmas.

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 9:03:13 AM11/26/15
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 11/25/2015 12:39 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

> > In the past year, DH has lost 160 pounds; we weren't
> > eating a lot of beef.
> >

> I know someone that lost that much too. Divorce.

LOL! Long ago I also lost about 135 pounds that way. Plus lost
some weight in my bank account at the same time. Nicely though,
that nagging pain in my butt for a few years also went away.

;)

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 9:32:00 AM11/26/15
pltrgyst wrote:

> FWIW, for about ten years, I've been using a Maverick, from pleasanthill
> grains.com:
> http://pleasanthillgrain.com/maverick-5501-meat-grinder
> $82 and well worth every penny.

So you've been using this one for 10 years? That sounds much more
into my range of maybe buying one. I would love to have one but my
annual use just wouldn't be worth it. It's half the price of the nifty
one Sheldon recommended though.

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 10:09:15 AM11/26/15
Count calories and try to walk faster (aerobic exercise).

Speaking of meat, Farm Fresh has their ground beef on sale starting
tomorrow and until and including Tuesday. $2.59 a pound. good deal.

notbob

Nov 26, 2015, 10:12:42 AM11/26/15
On 2015-11-26, pltrgyst <nn...@xhost.org> wrote:

> Plus my grinder is considerably easier to clean and takes up less room
> in the dishwasher than my food processor.....

Lordy, what is this? "Can't live without a dishwasher" dot com?

I thought this was rec.food.cooking, not
can't.cook.unless.it.has.an.electrical.plug.

nb

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 26, 2015, 10:43:25 AM11/26/15
On Thursday, November 26, 2015 at 8:58:33 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > In the past year, DH has lost 160 pounds; we weren't
> > eating a lot of beef.
>
> I doubt the beef was the issue so much. Sounds like he wasn't eating
> a lot of anything. That averages out to almost losing 1/2 pound
> per day. Sounds like very low calories and lots of exercise to me.

No, he wasn't eating a lot of anything, and I barely eat any beef,
although I'll have a few bites when he asks for steak.

> Congratulations to him though! He's got a strong will and definite
> bragging rights. Way to go, Cindy's DH. You are da man!

Yes, he is. I've lost about 20 pounds in the same amount of time,
but I don't have as far to go, so I'm just adjusting by eating
less carbs and more veggies, rather than the extremes to which
he is going. He's been under medical supervision, with regular
blood tests to make sure his near-starvation isn't completely
destroying his liver, heart, etc.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 26, 2015, 10:45:06 AM11/26/15
Funny you should mention it. My dishwasher is working right now,
while I laze about reading rec.food.cooking. Sure, I could do
without a dishwasher, but why should I? It uses less water than
I would hand washing. My water bill is already high enough.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 11:05:32 AM11/26/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:565717B2...@att.net...
If you don't need one very often, you don't have to have an electric one.
Hand ones are very cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Meat-Mincer-Cast/dp/B006VB2OWE/ref=sr_1_7/278-5881394-0995519?ie=UTF8&qid=1448553495&sr=8-7&keywords=meat+mincer

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

lucreti...@fl.it

Nov 26, 2015, 11:26:03 AM11/26/15
I'm with you - loathe washing dishes so if something can't go in the
dishwasher, doesn't live here :)

Gary

Nov 26, 2015, 11:49:58 AM11/26/15
Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> If you don't need one very often, you don't have to have an electric one.
> Hand ones are very cheap:
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Meat-Mincer-Cast/dp/B006VB2OWE/ref=sr_1_7/278-5881394-0995519?ie=UTF8&qid=1448553495&sr=8-7&keywords=meat+mincer

That looks good enough for me as little as I would grind meat. I'll
have to translate that later into USD. :-D

I'm about to cook early TG dinner. Will only take about 1 hour once I
start as all preparations are done now.

- "Oven fried" chicken -
- each piece dipped into an egg wash (egg & bit of milk)
- then dredged into flour containing sage, salt and pepper

- baked sweet potato with butter, s&p
- broccoli with cheese
- a bit of homemade stuffing (sadly, no whole chicken to cook it in)

- for dessert, a thick cold slice of cranberry-apple cake. :)
I made that yesterday evening. Dangerous food...it's so moist
and rich, I always eat too much. ;-o

Ophelia

Nov 26, 2015, 1:08:24 PM11/26/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:56573809...@att.net...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> If you don't need one very often, you don't have to have an electric one.
>> Hand ones are very cheap:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Meat-Mincer-Cast/dp/B006VB2OWE/ref=sr_1_7/278-5881394-0995519?ie=UTF8&qid=1448553495&sr=8-7&keywords=meat+mincer
>
> That looks good enough for me as little as I would grind meat. I'll
> have to translate that later into USD. :-D

Look around you can get them even cheaper:)

> I'm about to cook early TG dinner. Will only take about 1 hour once I
> start as all preparations are done now.
>
> - "Oven fried" chicken -
> - each piece dipped into an egg wash (egg & bit of milk)
> - then dredged into flour containing sage, salt and pepper
>
> - baked sweet potato with butter, s&p
> - broccoli with cheese
> - a bit of homemade stuffing (sadly, no whole chicken to cook it in)
>
> - for dessert, a thick cold slice of cranberry-apple cake. :)
> I made that yesterday evening. Dangerous food...it's so moist
> and rich, I always eat too much. ;-o

Aww enjoy yourself. It is a holiday:)))

Have a good one:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

pltrgyst

Nov 26, 2015, 1:28:38 PM11/26/15
On 11/26/15 11:05 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> If you don't need one very often, you don't have to have an electric
> one. Hand ones are very cheap:
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Meat-Mincer-Cast/dp/B006VB2OWE/ref=sr_1_7/278-5881394-0995519?ie=UTF8&qid=1448553495&sr=8-7&keywords=meat+mincer

Yes, but you should be sure that it either:

1) comes with all the choices of grinding plates you might need, usually
1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and possibly larger; o

or

2) uses standard plates, which come in several diameters.

-- Larry

Brooklyn1

Nov 26, 2015, 7:50:14 PM11/26/15
notbob wrote:
>pltrgyst wrote:
>>
>> Plus my grinder is considerably easier to clean and takes up less room
>> in the dishwasher than my food processor.....
>
>Lordy, what is this?

Sounds like pltrgyst is Full Of DooDoo... he showed a web site of a
grinder with an aluminum housing, those go in the dishwasher and you
can toss them in the trash. Anyone can pull an ad off the net, if he
really owned that toys r us grinder he'd show a photo of it being used
to grind meat.

But fact is it takes me less than three minutes to clean my meat
grinder washing it by hand, less time than to clean the bowl, cutting
board, knife, and and what other implements are used. An electric
meat grinder consists of the body, and then four small parts... the
auger, front nut, plate, and blade. You don't wash the motor. Takes
more time and effort to clean a stupid plastic food processor, that
can't grind meat anyway. A food processor is fine if one wants to
*emulsify* meat into paste for making bologna and tube steak, but it
can't grind anything.

My recommendation is to buy a grinder that's larger than what you
think you'll need, small throated grinders smear meat, ruin it... meat
is expensive, it's plain idiotic to buy a cheapo toys r us grinder
when a measly ten pounds of meat costs more.

I own two meat grinders, I upgraded to a larger one because a small
grinder ruins fattier meats like pork shoulder and chuck. A meat
grinder is a good investment, hardly a week passes I don't grind
something; bread crumbs, cracker meal, nutmeats, shreds cheese, preps
all kinds of veggies, especially does a great job with spuds 'n onions
for latkes... and makes meat loaf a breeze, no more knife work hacking
veggies... my least favorite chore is mincing a whole fistful of
parsley (for meat loaf, meat-a-balles, etc.), a meat grinder minces
parsley beautifully and faster than you can rinse it, stems and all...
why toss away the stems, you paid for them. Yoose need corn flake
crumbs, graham cracker crumbs, matzo meal, sody cracker meal, no
problem, in ten minutes you'll have more than you can use.. yoose
wanna bake carrot cake but don't feel like all that grating... grind
them to perfection. All yoose who like fish cakes, will grind any
fish in no time. I shouldn't even mention sau-seege... and no, you
don't need to stuff casings, mostly I make bulk sau-seege for patties.
For yoose who like breakfast sausage make up 5-10 pounds patties for
your freezer... for the first time in your life you'll know what/who's
in it... I can gaurantee there's roach/rodent and worse in your
sausage from your favorite breakfast joint that serves the cheapest
no-name crap.

Brooklyn1

Nov 26, 2015, 8:03:11 PM11/26/15
I have my own private well so I don't pay much for water, just a
little electric for the pump, but still I don't run my dishwasher very
much, I find it easier to wash cat food bowls by hand. I use a lot
more water for flushing toilets and bathing, you probably rarely bathe
and don't flush until you're about to pass out from the stink.

Chama

Nov 26, 2015, 8:04:26 PM11/26/15
Brooklyn1 wrote:
> I can gaurantee there's roach/rodent and worse in your
> sausage from your favorite breakfast joint that serves the cheapest
> no-name crap.

No you can't

%-0

Chama

Nov 26, 2015, 8:05:25 PM11/26/15
Maybe she has the servants wash her...

cshenk

Nov 26, 2015, 10:06:40 PM11/26/15
lucreti...@fl.it wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:42:27 -0600, "cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > lucreti...@fl.it wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> wrote: >> >> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:46:10 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

> >> wrote: >> >> There's no exact recipe for 'kotleti' (Russian
> >> burgers), I usually use >> >> ground beef but chicken works well.
> >> Season how you like but no pre >> >> ground mystery meat.

> grocery >> > store and purchased 1/2 pound of ground beef. That's
> it. My >> > entire home use of ground meat in a year has been 1
> pound. I believe >> > 1/4 pound is still in the freezer. It's just
> not worth grinding my >> > own.

> >> Me too but if I want some then I would throw in the food processor,
> >> mine does a job that's just as efficient as a grinder with less
> clean >> up.
> >
> > Managed to work out your so you don't get a basically pink/red
> > paste? I like the distinct grind and generally the fatter blade
> > grind (called chili grind by some).
> > Carol
>
> Assuming you mean, how do I get decent minced beef in the FP - I
> render it to cubes about 1 1/2 inches square, toss in the FP and pulse
> twice maybe three times and its done. Do not run the FP - also I
> suppose you should only do enough for one, that's all I am doing.

Ok, works well enough. I'm generally doing runs of 60lbs (friend and
I, bone in dog grinds for much of it).

cshenk

Nov 26, 2015, 10:37:29 PM11/26/15
Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Sheldon tends to over estimate.

My Tasin (true one, not the chinese knock off) was about 150$ and got
it 2007. It's been doing 50-60 lbs a month since then with 1/2 or more
small bone in chicken raw for dog feeding.

Groupkilla

Nov 26, 2015, 11:17:50 PM11/26/15
Sqwertz wrote:
> Dog, eh?
>
> -sw
<1qauy6zyozuo9$.d...@sqwertz.com>

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

MisterDiddyWahDiddy

Nov 27, 2015, 3:46:08 AM11/27/15
As much as I dislike you, Sheldon, I do laugh at your over-the-top insults.
The idea of someone not flushing their toilet until they're "about to pass
out from the stink" is absurd. I knew this hippie chick who thought that
you shouldn't flush every time as long as it was just pee, but letting poop accumulate in the toilet isn't something that any sane person would do. If
you were skilled at poetry--and perhaps you are--you could write lyrics for
a punk rock band. A song titled *Some Like it Gross* could have a verse
about not flushing, and another about intentionally letting food rot, and
perhaps one about keeping the cat's litter box on the kitchen counter.

--Bryan

Bruce

Nov 27, 2015, 3:54:10 AM11/27/15
I think we should all be relieved that your contribution to music has
ended.

--
Bruce

Nunya Bidnits

Nov 27, 2015, 10:24:34 AM11/27/15

"Janet B" wrote in message

>.make sure the meat is cold. I've done 20 pounds or more.
>Just cube
>the meat, keep it cold and only pulse the machine.
>Janet US

Cold is indeed the ticket. When I make sausage, by the time I've
cubed the meat it's starting to warm up, so I stick it in the
freezer until it starts to feel a little crunchy. Just like
whipping cream, everything should be ice cold. The texture will
be much better and whatever equipment you're using will work
better without making stringy pasty meat.

notbob

Nov 27, 2015, 11:26:27 AM11/27/15
On 2015-11-27, Nunya Bidnits <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
> Just like whipping cream, everything should be ice cold. The texture
> will be much better and whatever equipment you're using will work
> better without making stringy pasty meat.

Agree.

When we put up 600+ lbs of smoked sausage, the meat/suet chunks
started in a walk-in fridge, overnight. The pre-gound meat was so
cold, we hadda take turns mixing the meat chunks before putting it
into the biggest grinder I've ever seen. This thing was the size of a
smart car. Still, the meat hadda be ice cold prior to grinding.

nb

Chama

Nov 27, 2015, 11:32:55 AM11/27/15
Your mind needs to be flushed.

Chama

Nov 27, 2015, 11:33:17 AM11/27/15
Amen.

Groupkilla

Nov 27, 2015, 11:43:30 AM11/27/15
Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Cold is indeed the ticket.

"I received numerous emails from Marty Bodine. I ignored them all
because they don't make sense." -The late Alexander Bartolich (founder
of Albasani.net)

cshenk

Nov 27, 2015, 1:49:25 PM11/27/15
Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 21:06:37 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > lucreti...@fl.it wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> Assuming you mean, how do I get decent minced beef in the FP - I
> >> render it to cubes about 1 1/2 inches square, toss in the FP and
> pulse >> twice maybe three times and its done. Do not run the FP -
> also I >> suppose you should only do enough for one, that's all I am
> doing.
> >
> > Ok, works well enough. I'm generally doing runs of 60lbs (friend
> > and I, bone in dog grinds for much of it).
>
> Dog, eh?
>
> -sw

Grinding *for the dog*.

Yes, plenty of it. Normally chicken or pork. Freezerburned venison and
beef (but the machine can't handle that level of bone so those are
boneless).

Groupkilla

Nov 28, 2015, 11:27:35 AM11/28/15
Sqwertz wrote:
> OK, I was having trouble reading that part.

pltrgyst

Nov 28, 2015, 10:47:20 PM11/28/15
On 11/26/15 7:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> .... An electric
> meat grinder consists of the body, and then four small parts... the
> auger, front nut, plate, and blade....

Why is it that you're so seldom right? Ah, yes -- you're basically a
dolt, which explains the pointless insults.

Many of them, like the Maverick I own, also have a removable feedtube
and auger assembly housing that is very easily removed and cleaned. You
push a button, rotate counter-clockwise about 30 degrees, and it slides
right out.

The motor housing never comes in contact with the meat and never needs
to be cleaned.

-- Larry

Brooklyn1

Nov 29, 2015, 11:38:44 AM11/29/15
pltrgyst wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> .... An electric
>> meat grinder consists of the body, and then four small parts... the
>> auger, front nut, plate, and blade....
>
>Why is it that you're so seldom right? Ah, yes -- you're basically a
>dolt, which explains the pointless insults.
>
>Many of them, like the Maverick I own, also have a removable feedtube

I've never seen any grinder with a removeable feed tube, for safety
the feed tube is integrel to the body. Some have an optional tray
that sits atop the feed tube. Making the feed tube removeable from
the body would be stupid and dangerous because the feed tube should be
made long enough to prevent fingers from reaching the auger, which is
what makes most hand crank grinders so dangerous, the very short and
usually wide feed tube... when one isn't very coordinated they can and
have mangled their entire hand. The Maverick grinder is a Toys R Us
POS... much too tiny to produce a proper grind. I just looked again,
the Maverick meat grinder does NOT have a removeable feed tube, DOLT!
http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-MM-5501-Master-575-Watt-Grinder/dp/B000TD1KU2

meda...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2015, 1:05:43 PM11/29/15
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 8:24:35 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 10:06:59 AM UTC-6, Hidalgo wrote:
> > John Kuthe wrote:
> > > They use high quality sanitary beef
> >
> > IS that served with a sanitary "napkin", freakshow?
>
> I took the college course on Foodservice Sanitation when I worked at the donut shop. Got an A in it too!! I'm a food sanitation nazi!
>
> John Kuthe...

My University would not have had a "Foodservice Sanitation" course. It would have been a non-credit CAP course and would not have been graded.

meda...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2015, 1:07:46 PM11/29/15
Don't forget a verse about the Bitches getting UPPITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

cshenk

Nov 29, 2015, 2:05:25 PM11/29/15
Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Good lord that's tiny!

No wonder some don't get it that I process 60lbs (some bone in) at a
shot.

I will agree someone with lesser needs might get away with that unit
though.

http://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/tasin-ts-108-electric-meat-grinder-1/

Not bad for the price. I got mine years ago and it's American made.
Newer ones aren't as much so.

Might be you have a better one, but this one works for us. Big enough
while not hogging too much storage space in the pantry.

--

It is loading more messages.