Grill seasoning.

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 5:15:44 AM5/29/15
Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

May 29, 2015, 6:59:45 AM5/29/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:csqp1r...@mid.individual.net...
It can be a commercial product and there isn't just one. It's salt, pepper
and other seasonings.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 29, 2015, 7:06:03 AM5/29/15
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 4:15:44 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what 'grill seasoning' is, and if it is a commercial
> product, what is it made of?
>
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Grilled-Zucchini/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=167741313&prop26=WhatsCooking&prop27=2015-05-28&prop28=RecipeLinks&prop29=Recipe_4&me=1&eaid=13833405

It would be a combination of whatever spices you like to use.
It could be salt and pepper only or salt and pepper mixed
with a bit of onion powder or garlic powder or ground oregano
or any combination of spices.

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 7:43:23 AM5/29/15

<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message
Thank you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 7:43:23 AM5/29/15

<lucreti...@fl.it> wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 May 2015 10:15:21 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone tell me what 'grill seasoning' is, and if it is a commercial
>>product, what is it made of?
>>
>>http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Grilled-Zucchini/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=167741313&prop26=WhatsCooking&prop27=2015-05-28&prop28=RecipeLinks&prop29=Recipe_4&me=1&eaid=13833405
>
> When the BBQ is good and hot I dip some paper towel in oil and run it
> over the racks, held in tongs obviously :)

but, what is grill seasoning?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 7:43:24 AM5/29/15

"Julie Bove" <juli...@frontier.com> wrote in message
Thank you.

>http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Message has been deleted

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 8:35:50 AM5/29/15

> I took it to mean 'season the grill' itself, which is what I do when
> it is hot and before I put anything on it so that it does not stick.
> Re-reading it does tend to make it sound like there is something you
> can sprinkle, but that I've never heard of, sorry :(

np :)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Brooklyn1

May 29, 2015, 9:04:15 AM5/29/15
Ophelia wrote:
>lucretia wrote:
>>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me what 'grill seasoning' is, and if it is a commercial
>>>product, what is it made of?
>>>
>>>http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Grilled-Zucchini/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=167741313&prop26=WhatsCooking&prop27=2015-05-28&prop28=RecipeLinks&prop29=Recipe_4&me=1&eaid=13833405
>>
>> When the BBQ is good and hot I dip some paper towel in oil and run it
>> over the racks, held in tongs obviously :)

I've used your method too when I'm grilling all vegetables but I
usually slice a piece of fat off whatever meat I'm cooking and holding
it with tongs use it to swab the hot grill grates... I may use that
piece of fat several times during the grilling session. Once done and
the fat is cool I toss it way out in my yard and it won't be 30
seconds a crow will snatch it... whenever I'm grilling those crows are
watching from tree tops hundreds of yards away... they get all my
trimmings anyway... this morning they already got the fat trimmings
from the eight thick pork chops I'll be frying for dinner tonight,
sometimes I prefer fried. The chops are already seasoned, coated
with olive oil, and in a 14" covered pan in my fridge... my main go-to
seasoning for pork is Penzeys adobo.

>but, what is grill seasoning?

But that's it... season the hot grill grates with fat same as one
does a cast iron pan so food won't stick.

If what you are looking for is which seasoning to put on foods that
are to be grilled then that would depend on the foods and your taste
preferences... there is no such thing as any one food seasoning
regardless how cooked.

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 9:57:19 AM5/29/15

"Brooklyn1" <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Thanks. I was just looking for the 'grill seasoning' in the recipe I
posted:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

John Kuthe

May 29, 2015, 10:12:24 AM5/29/15
Mostly salt, I'll bet.

John Kuthe...

William

May 29, 2015, 10:14:14 AM5/29/15
wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what 'grill seasoning' is, and if it is a commercial
>product, what is it made of?

You know how you "season a cast iron frying pan" by rubbing it with
bacon grease (lard) and heating the pan at 500 degrees (F) for an
hour. If your grill grates are cast iron you could season them in the
same fashion to keep food from sticking while cooking. You could also
just spray Pam on the grate before placing the Zuccini slices on
there.

William

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 10:21:10 AM5/29/15

"William" <big...@att.net> wrote in message
Thanks:)) So, I have half who say it is seasoning the grill, and half
something to season the zucchini:))

I guess I will have to do both:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Nunya Bidnits

May 29, 2015, 10:34:46 AM5/29/15

wrote in message

>It would be a combination of whatever spices you like to use.
>It could be salt and pepper only or salt and pepper mixed
>with a bit of onion powder or garlic powder or ground oregano
>or any combination of spices.

Exactly. "Grill seasoning" doesn't mean anything in particular,
except that there are some name brand seasoning blends that are
purportedly made for the grill.

MartyB

Message has been deleted

Nunya Bidnits

May 29, 2015, 10:53:24 AM5/29/15

"Ophelia" wrote in message

>Thanks:)) So, I have half who say it is seasoning the grill,
>and half something to season the zucchini:))

Half are wrong. It's a recipe and "grill seasoning" was listed
with the ingredients, not in the text describing technique. I
think it's obviously referring to seasonings put on the food.
It's poorly described and ambiguous but it is in the ingredients
section.

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 11:17:53 AM5/29/15

"Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Yes, that is how I took it too, but I am happy to take on board the 'other
half' :))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 11:17:53 AM5/29/15

> If I was not going to do it the other way, then I would have some
> olive oil with pepper and salt added to paint on, perhaps add
> appropriate spices. The only other thing I can think of is there are
> spices on the shelves here and I imagine there would be one marked BBQ
> spice but I have never looked for it. McCormicks also makes something
> they call Montreal Spice, I've tried that and hated it and would bet
> you wouldn't care for it either. Seemed to be a combo of chillie
> peppers, hot paprika and pepper.

Ahhhh not for me then! Thanks:) I guess I will just use some garlic and
rosemary!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

taxed and spent

May 29, 2015, 11:22:13 AM5/29/15

"Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
as one of the menu comments states, a marinade with OO and Balsamic is
fantastic for grilled veggies. S&P, and any other herb(s) of your choice -
thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc.

William

May 29, 2015, 11:22:33 AM5/29/15
On Fri, 29 May 2015 15:19:29 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks:)) So, I have half who say it is seasoning the grill, and half
>something to season the zucchini:))
>
>I guess I will have to do both:))

Ophelia, let's through this question out to the group...how many
people have ever seen a jar of "grill seasoning" on the spice shelf at
the grocery store?

William

taxed and spent

May 29, 2015, 11:27:00 AM5/29/15

"William" <big...@att.net> wrote in message
I have never noticed, but I wouldn't normally look there.

And, I prefer my own method, which uses grilling oil and grilling
vegetables. :)

William

May 29, 2015, 11:33:21 AM5/29/15
On Fri, 29 May 2015 10:15:21 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Apparently, spice sellers make one called "grill seasoning" which is
their mixture of spices for use on a grill...

http://www.food.com/recipe/grill-seasoning-184558

William

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 11:52:50 AM5/29/15

"taxed and spent" <pleas...@spamme.com> wrote in message
Thanks:) I love Balsamic too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 11:52:50 AM5/29/15

"William" <big...@att.net> wrote in message
Ok!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 11:52:51 AM5/29/15

"William" <big...@att.net> wrote in message
Thanks for that. I don't use that kind of stuff, but I was curious to know
what they were referring to.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

William

May 29, 2015, 11:54:45 AM5/29/15
People over here in the Colonies don't always speak in the proper
"King's English", sometimes they just speak "American English" and say
things like "Grill Seasoning"!

My Mom once called a restaurant to place a carry out order for some
Hamburgers. She phoned in the order and asked for "hamburger
sandwiches". She picked up the order, brought it home, opened one of
the packages and was amazed to find that the restaurant had used
"sliced bread" instead of "hamburger buns" to make exactly what Mom
had ordered..."Hamburger Sandwiches".

For myself, I want to know a little more about what's flavoring my
grilled Zuccini than "Grill Seasoning". On my jar of Tone's Canadian
Steak Seasoning, the ingredients listed are salt, garlic, black peper,
onion, spices and red pepper. Spices must be their secret ingredient.

William

koko

May 29, 2015, 11:55:22 AM5/29/15
wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what 'grill seasoning' is, and if it is a commercial
>product, what is it made of?
>
>http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Grilled-Zucchini/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=167741313&prop26=WhatsCooking&prop27=2015-05-28&prop28=RecipeLinks&prop29=Recipe_4&me=1&eaid=13833405

I'm going to make this tonight, it looks good.
This is the grill seasoning I think they are referring to.

https://flic.kr/p/tK3XNw
https://flic.kr/p/tuWbPx

The ingredients reads: Coarse salt, spices (including black pepper and
red pepper) garlic, sunflower oil, natural flavors and extracts of
paprika.

It's made by McCormick. I think the recipe developer didn't want to
endorse a particular brand so they used a general term for it.

koko

James Beard

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 12:00:55 PM5/29/15

"koko" <ko...@letscook.com> wrote in message
Thanks very much, koko:)) Please report back?
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 12:00:55 PM5/29/15

"William" <big...@att.net> wrote in message
Of course:) I don't use that stuff mostly, but as I said elsewhere, I was
curious to know what they meant.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

William

May 29, 2015, 1:03:57 PM5/29/15
Here's what Penzey's thinks about "grill seasoning"...

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/grill-broil-8-jar-gift-pack/c-24/p-1583/pd-gb

William

Message has been deleted

Ophelia

May 29, 2015, 1:57:08 PM5/29/15

> Here's what Penzey's thinks about "grill seasoning"...
>

> https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/grill-broil-8-jar-gift-pack/c-24/p-1583/pd-gb

Hmmm I don't fancy any of those ... but then I don't like mixes.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

pltrgyst

May 29, 2015, 3:43:54 PM5/29/15
On 5/29/15 11:33 AM, William wrote:

> Apparently, spice sellers make one called "grill seasoning" which is
> their mixture of spices for use on a grill...

Think "steak seasoning", which is a fairly common descriptive name on
jars in supermarkets.

It was just a poor choice of words by whoever wrote the recipe in the OP.

-- Larry

pltrgyst

May 29, 2015, 3:50:44 PM5/29/15
On 5/29/15 11:33 AM, William wrote:

> Apparently, spice sellers make one called "grill seasoning" which is
> their mixture of spices for use on a grill...
>
> http://www.food.com/recipe/grill-seasoning-184558

I've actually mixed that one up, and it's pretty decent.

There are more variants here:

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2011/06/15/make-your-own-grill-seasoning/

Though they would all be better termed "grilling seasoning".

-- Larry

cshenk

May 29, 2015, 6:43:07 PM5/29/15
William wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Try asking for a 'hamburger' in OZ. They make them from slices of ham
unless they know you meant other. Quite good actually but 'not
expected'.
Carol

dsi1

May 29, 2015, 7:19:17 PM5/29/15
On Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 11:15:44 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what 'grill seasoning' is, and if it is a commercial
> product, what is it made of?
>
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Grilled-Zucchini/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=167741313&prop26=WhatsCooking&prop27=2015-05-28&prop28=RecipeLinks&prop29=Recipe_4&me=1&eaid=13833405
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Grill seasoning are commercial products that mostly consist of salt and pepper and other flavoring ingredients like citrus, herb, smoke, chili, etc. Typically, they'll have a picture of a steak on the grill for those folks that need a visual aid. OTOH, I wouldn't use grill seasonings, which is meant for meat, on zucchini - unless the zucchini was made of meat. Hee hee.

What I'd use is olive oil and a sprinkling of powdered onion. Unfortunately, nobody makes powdered onion. This is a big problem!

koko

May 29, 2015, 9:01:43 PM5/29/15
On Fri, 29 May 2015 16:19:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
I have a bottle of California onion powder from Olde Thompson in
Oxnard CA
http://www.oldethompson.com/product-details.aspx?ProductID=678&PageID=39

or
http://tinyurl.com/pf32ax7

I bought it at a Kitchen Collection store for a lot less.

dsi1

May 29, 2015, 9:29:57 PM5/29/15
I did not know these things were available. Thanks!

pltrgyst

May 29, 2015, 10:33:39 PM5/29/15
On 5/29/15 7:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Unfortunately, nobody makes powdered onion. This is a big problem!

Penzey's sells minced, granulated, and powdered dry onion.

Plus a spice grinder quickly powders minced dried onion.

-- Larry

sf

May 29, 2015, 11:03:30 PM5/29/15
wrote:

> What I'd use is olive oil and a sprinkling of powdered onion. Unfortunately, nobody makes powdered onion. This is a big problem!

Find yourself a Mexican food store and you'll find powdered onion!

--

sf

Julie Bove

May 30, 2015, 12:00:48 AM5/30/15

"koko" <ko...@letscook.com> wrote in message
Onion powder is sold everywhere here. all sorts of brands. If I couldn't
find it, I would try whizzing up some dried onion in the Magic Bullet or
crushing it down in the mortar and pestle.

Julie Bove

May 30, 2015, 12:02:32 AM5/30/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
I only knew of it because my SIL told me to get it. Her kids and my FIL
would not eat onions. Only the powder. I do use it for limited things. It
is good in breading or on things like oven fries. But nobody here has onion
issues so normally I use the real thing.

Message has been deleted

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 3:07:24 AM5/30/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I do:) I experimented with it once. I dehydrated onion and powdered it. I
had forgotten about it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 6:03:37 AM5/30/15
I like that idea!

> -- Larry

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 6:10:22 AM5/30/15
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 5:03:30 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2015 16:19:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <the...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > What I'd use is olive oil and a sprinkling of powdered onion. Unfortunately, nobody makes powdered onion. This is a big problem!
>
> Find yourself a Mexican food store and you'll find powdered onion!

The Mercado de la Raza is the only Mexican store that I know of on this rock. I used to work across the street. I haven't been there in a couple of decades! Thanks for the info.

> --
>
> sf

jmcquown

May 30, 2015, 6:10:47 AM5/30/15
On 5/30/2015 1:10 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> <boggle> Every major grocery store has powdered and granulated onion.
>
> -sw

Yeppers, they sure do. McCormick brand.

Jill

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 6:14:02 AM5/30/15
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 6:02:32 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <the...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
> > On 5/29/2015 3:01 PM, koko wrote:
> >> On Fri, 29 May 2015 16:19:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <the...@yahoo.com>
Recently, I have been wanting onion flavor without onions. It's just something that got stuck in my head. Hee hee.

sf

May 30, 2015, 9:17:37 AM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 06:10:43 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
The onion powder I buy comes in a blister pack. I don't know what
brand mine was because I transferred it to a different container, but
the two brands I have in my refrigerator are El Guapo and La Fiesta.

--

sf

jmcquown

May 30, 2015, 9:59:12 AM5/30/15
Whatever the brand. It's available at any grocery store. dsi1 makes it
sound like they don't have common things like this in Hawaii. I'm
pretty sure they do. Garlic powder, too. ;)

Jill

koko

May 30, 2015, 10:35:07 AM5/30/15
On Fri, 29 May 2015 17:00:47 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>"koko" <ko...@letscook.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 29 May 2015 10:15:21 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me what 'grill seasoning' is, and if it is a commercial
>>>product, what is it made of?
>>>
>>>http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Grilled-Zucchini/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=167741313&prop26=WhatsCooking&prop27=2015-05-28&prop28=RecipeLinks&prop29=Recipe_4&me=1&eaid=13833405
>>
>> I'm going to make this tonight, it looks good.
>> This is the grill seasoning I think they are referring to.
>>
>> https://flic.kr/p/tK3XNw
>> https://flic.kr/p/tuWbPx
>>
>> The ingredients reads: Coarse salt, spices (including black pepper and
>> red pepper) garlic, sunflower oil, natural flavors and extracts of
>> paprika.
>>
>> It's made by McCormick. I think the recipe developer didn't want to
>> endorse a particular brand so they used a general term for it.
>
>Thanks very much, koko:)) Please report back?

Last night I cut two zucchini into 1/4 inch lenghtwise slices.
I brushed them, both sides with olive oil. One zucchini I sprinkled
with the grill seasoning and the other with some fresh tarragon from
my garden and grilled them.
The grill seasoning I used is great on steak, but I didn't care for it
on the zucchini, it was o.k. but a bit agressive for vegetables.
I've always liked tarragon on squash, it's my go to seasoning for
squash.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ophelia

May 30, 2015, 11:23:02 AM5/30/15

"koko" <ko...@letscook.com> wrote in message
Thanks, koko:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Message has been deleted

sf

May 30, 2015, 11:51:09 AM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 09:59:05 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Whatever the brand. It's available at any grocery store. dsi1 makes it
> sound like they don't have common things like this in Hawaii. I'm
> pretty sure they do. Garlic powder, too. ;)

Lots of things are different in Hawaii. Not a huge Mexican community
there for starters.

--

sf

jmcquown

May 30, 2015, 2:54:28 PM5/30/15
On 5/30/2015 11:34 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>> The onion powder I buy comes in a blister pack. I don't know what
>>> brand mine was because I transferred it to a different container, but
>>> the two brands I have in my refrigerator are El Guapo and La Fiesta.
>>>

>> Whatever the brand. It's available at any grocery store. dsi1 makes it
>> sound like they don't have common things like this in Hawaii. I'm
>> pretty sure they do. Garlic powder, too. ;)
>>
>> Jill
>
> I scouted the stupidmarket today. There is a row of Club House Grill
> Spice. One for steak, one for fish, one for poultry ad nausea. They
> look very comparable to the Montreal Spice that McCormick make.
>
> It is more logical to mix together whatever combo of spices you like,
> or find appropriate for whatever you intend to BBQ.

Absolutely agree. Yet dsi1 makes it sound like onion powder is some
weird exotic thing. It's not. :)

Jill

jmcquown

May 30, 2015, 2:55:49 PM5/30/15
Um, since the thread drifted to onion powder I'm supposed to surmise
only Mexicans use onion powder? ;)

Jill

Julie Bove

May 30, 2015, 3:36:09 PM5/30/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
*sigh* It is available everywhere I have lived, with the regular spices.
Many brands.

Nunya Bidnits

May 30, 2015, 4:30:31 PM5/30/15

"sf" wrote in message

>Lots of things are different in Hawaii. Not a huge Mexican
>community
>there for starters.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The damn Hawaiians are overrunning Mexico though.

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 4:32:54 PM5/30/15
On 5/30/2015 5:34 AM, lucreti...@fl.it wrote:

>>> The onion powder I buy comes in a blister pack. I don't know what
>>> brand mine was because I transferred it to a different container, but
>>> the two brands I have in my refrigerator are El Guapo and La Fiesta.
>>>

>> Whatever the brand. It's available at any grocery store. dsi1 makes it
>> sound like they don't have common things like this in Hawaii. I'm
>> pretty sure they do. Garlic powder, too. ;)
>>
>> Jill
>
> I scouted the stupidmarket today. There is a row of Club House Grill
> Spice. One for steak, one for fish, one for poultry ad nausea. They
> look very comparable to the Montreal Spice that McCormick make.
>
> It is more logical to mix together whatever combo of spices you like,
> or find appropriate for whatever you intend to BBQ.

You guys sound confused. What I can't find in our market shelves and
have never seen is onion powder. I'm not talking about grill spice,
onion salt, dehydrated onions, dried minced onions, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm happy that all ya'alls got onion powder coming out of your butts -
how does that help me with my major problem?

Hee hee.

Brooklyn1

May 30, 2015, 5:37:22 PM5/30/15
Onion powder is probably the most common ingredient in any market's
seasoning section, after garlic powder... regardless ethnicity.

Brooklyn1

May 30, 2015, 5:39:47 PM5/30/15
If your market has dehy onions they have onion powder... you need an
eye exam.
Message has been deleted

Nunya Bidnits

May 30, 2015, 5:50:07 PM5/30/15

wrote in message

On Sat, 30 May 2015 17:39:39 -0400, Brooklyn1
<grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>If your market has dehy onions they have onion powder... you
>>need an
>>eye exam.

>Perhaps you need to look at the subject header which started
>with
>Ophelia asking what it was, having seen it in a NA recipe.

It was ds1 who claimed onion powder was unavailable at Hawaiian
grocers, a literally incredible statement.

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 5:59:36 PM5/30/15
Oh yeah, you'll also find taro leaves right next to the carrots in your
town. Hee hee.

Julie Bove

May 30, 2015, 7:02:13 PM5/30/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Maybe you're not looking in the right place. Look with the regular spices.

Julie Bove

May 30, 2015, 7:03:44 PM5/30/15

"Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
I didn't think we had smoked paprika or Hungarian sweet paprika here. I was
expecting them to come in containers like the regular paprika. Nope. The
smoked is in a squatty jar with the meats and the Hungarian is in a
rectangular can.

sf

May 30, 2015, 7:06:04 PM5/30/15
On Sat, 30 May 2015 11:59:32 -1000, dsi1
Don't forget the tamarind paste and pomegranate molasses.

--

sf

jmcquown

May 30, 2015, 7:17:32 PM5/30/15
That's when, while shopping, it behooves one to stop and *ask* someone
where things are stocked. Well, I do, at least. You don't seem to like
to ask store employees about where to find things.

Jill

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 7:31:36 PM5/30/15
Well... I just went shopping for some anchovies and cream cheese
frosting - just kidding about the frosting. There's not much point in
buying frosting because I don't make cakes these days. I used to when
the kids were small. They just don't appreciate that kind of thing anymore.

As it goes, I checked the spices next to the dehydrated onions and my
worst fears were realized. There WAS onion powder next to the onions.
Hee hee - please disregard any comments I made about there not being any
onion powder in Hawaii. As a show of contrition, I bought that expensive
little $4+ bottle. As it goes, that stuff is too expensive. If I need
any powder, I'm just gonna pound on some dehydrated onions with
something heavy. I get dehydrated onions for dirt cheap at Costco. I
love that stuff.

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 7:33:42 PM5/30/15
Oh no! :-)

sf

May 30, 2015, 8:27:41 PM5/30/15
I've never tried to whiz dehydrated onions in a spice/coffee grinder,
but I suspect you'll end up with granulated onion vs powdered... which
isn't a bad thing when you're constructing a seasoning mix. Costco
has bottles of dehydrated onion, you say? Maybe I'll buy one and go
nuts with it.

At the moment, I'm still trying to find the seasoning recipe I didn't
save that called for powdered bitter orange rinds.

:)

--

sf

dsi1

May 30, 2015, 8:39:05 PM5/30/15
I'm a big fan of the stuff and use it a lot. Boy, it saves me a lot of
time. I just ran out of some last night but the bottom of the container
was mostly powder and fragments so I powdered that stuff and used it to
coat some fried pork chops. It's sort of like a natural MSG substitute.

Julie Bove

May 30, 2015, 8:47:13 PM5/30/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
People can look right at something sometimes and not see it. BTDT.

Julie Bove

May 30, 2015, 8:50:25 PM5/30/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
We've been through this before. Apparently in your stores, there are
employees everywhere. That's not the case here. Any time I might need to
ask, there is nobody to be found. Then if I do find a person, they don't
know the answer or worse still give me the wrong answer. I have been told
countless times that they don't carry an item and then I find it somewhere
else in the store. Then there are other times when I am just going in for a
few items and three employees will ask if I need help.

Doris Night

May 30, 2015, 11:25:55 PM5/30/15
Holy crap.

If the employees in the grocery stores here did that, those places
would be out of business in short order.

One of our local grocery stores (No Frills) is really good about
finding stuff for you. I know the manager to see him (and also his
wife), and both of them will go out of their way to show me where
things are.

Doris

Julie Bove

May 31, 2015, 1:24:03 AM5/31/15

"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Ours are mostly pushing the self serve. They want you to check yourself out
too.

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 1:43:06 AM5/31/15
On 5/30/2015 2:46 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> People can look right at something sometimes and not see it. BTDT.

This has been happening to me for the last 10 years or so. If I can't
find an object that I'm looking for, I'll stop and try to imagine what
it looks like. Most times it doesn't help. My object recognition
processing abilities are withering away.

Julie Bove

May 31, 2015, 3:21:53 AM5/31/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Sometimes my hand will be drawn to what I am looking for. Not always
though. Would be nice if it were always.

Ophelia

May 31, 2015, 5:01:49 AM5/31/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Grind it. If you have a dehydrator it is even cheaper.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 31, 2015, 5:01:49 AM5/31/15

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
I guess it depends just how dehydrated they are. If I dry mine until they
are crispy they grind to a power just fine.

> At the moment, I'm still trying to find the seasoning recipe I didn't
> save that called for powdered bitter orange rinds.

Good luck with that one. I can never find one when it happens to me:(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 31, 2015, 5:01:49 AM5/31/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Oh come on! You are not that old <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Janet

May 31, 2015, 8:25:14 AM5/31/15
In article <jfvkmalgqun2bg787...@4ax.com>,
goodnig...@yahoo.com says...
> >> That's when, while shopping, it behooves one to stop and *ask* someone
> >> where things are stocked. Well, I do, at least. You don't seem to like
> >> to ask store employees about where to find things.
> >
> >We've been through this before. Apparently in your stores, there are
> >employees everywhere. That's not the case here. Any time I might need to
> >ask, there is nobody to be found. Then if I do find a person, they don't
> >know the answer or worse still give me the wrong answer. I have been told
> >countless times that they don't carry an item and then I find it somewhere
> >else in the store. Then there are other times when I am just going in for a
> >few items and three employees will ask if I need help.
>
> Holy crap.
>
> If the employees in the grocery stores here did that, those places
> would be out of business in short order.
>
> One of our local grocery stores (No Frills) is really good about
> finding stuff for you. I know the manager to see him (and also his
> wife), and both of them will go out of their way to show me where
> things are.

In stores here, it's part of a standard of scripted customer service
staff are trained to follow. They also employ "mystery shoppers" to
test staff compliance.

The upshot is that if you ask where to find X they insist on leading
you to the right spot, help you find it, smile, ask if you need any
further assistance, and if not, make some pleasant social farewell.

Janet UK

jmcquown

May 31, 2015, 9:38:40 AM5/31/15
I guess you and I are just lucky, eh? I've never had a store employee
flat out tell me they don't carry a certain item without checking on it
first. (Easy enough to do given computers.) I've even had employees
offer to get something from the back for me if an item hadn't been
restocked yet. Imagine... stores with helpful employees!

Jill

Janet B

May 31, 2015, 11:30:13 AM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 13:25:08 +0100, Janet <nob...@home.org> wrote:

snip

> In stores here, it's part of a standard of scripted customer service
>staff are trained to follow. They also employ "mystery shoppers" to
>test staff compliance.
>
> The upshot is that if you ask where to find X they insist on leading
>you to the right spot, help you find it, smile, ask if you need any
>further assistance, and if not, make some pleasant social farewell.
>
> Janet UK

Here too.
Janet US

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 2:10:49 PM5/31/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 9:21:53 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" <> wrote in message
Ho ho, now that's something. Sounds like something Dr. Sacks would describe.

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 2:15:23 PM5/31/15
My guess is that dehydrated onions I get dirt cheap at Costco are cheaper than buying and dehydrating the onions myself. I used to dehydrate stuff but these days, it's not as thrilling for me. :-)

sf

May 31, 2015, 2:17:04 PM5/31/15
On Sun, 31 May 2015 10:01:30 +0100, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I've never tried to whiz dehydrated onions in a spice/coffee grinder,
> > but I suspect you'll end up with granulated onion vs powdered... which
> > isn't a bad thing when you're constructing a seasoning mix. Costco
> > has bottles of dehydrated onion, you say? Maybe I'll buy one and go
> > nuts with it.
>
> I guess it depends just how dehydrated they are. If I dry mine until they
> are crispy they grind to a power just fine.

I guess I could dry them in the oven a bit more if they aren't as dry
as they need to be in order to powder them.

> > At the moment, I'm still trying to find the seasoning recipe I didn't
> > save that called for powdered bitter orange rinds.
>
> Good luck with that one. I can never find one when it happens to me:(

Thanks. It's proving to be true too. What I saw was buried in
something else, so it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Wish I
could remember what I was searching at that time. It might help.

--

sf

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 2:20:49 PM5/31/15
On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:01:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
Well, something screwy is going on. Sometimes things that I look for will materialize in front of me. It's either imps playing tricks or my brain is messed up. In such situations, I think it's always wiser to blame the brain.

Ophelia

May 31, 2015, 2:39:26 PM5/31/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I can't say I ever got a thrill from the dehydrator but it can be very
useful!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 31, 2015, 2:39:26 PM5/31/15

> On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:01:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message

>> > This has been happening to me for the last 10 years or so. If I can't
>> > find
>> > an object that I'm looking for, I'll stop and try to imagine what it
>> > looks
>> > like. Most times it doesn't help. My object recognition processing
>> > abilities are withering away.
>>
>> Oh come on! You are not that old <g>
>
> Well, something screwy is going on. Sometimes things that I look for will
> materialize in front of me. It's either imps playing tricks or my brain is
> messed up. In such situations, I think it's always wiser to blame the
> brain.

... or the imps?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 2:50:23 PM5/31/15
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 8:39:26 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" <d> wrote in message
> > On Saturday, May 30, 2015 at 11:01:49 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >> "dsi1" <d> wrote in message

> >> Oh come on! You are not that old <g>
> >
> > Well, something screwy is going on. Sometimes things that I look for will
> > materialize in front of me. It's either imps playing tricks or my brain is
> > messed up. In such situations, I think it's always wiser to blame the
> > brain.
>
> ... or the imps?

The devil is in the details, and the plants, and the walls, and behind the coffee maker. :-)

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia

May 31, 2015, 3:25:05 PM5/31/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Julie Bove

May 31, 2015, 6:53:24 PM5/31/15

"dsi1" <dsi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
We have that going on here too! I will be certain that something is in a
specific spot but nobody can find it. In the end, it is exactly where I
thought it was. Once it was my car keys. But what had happened there is
that I have my computer monitor on a little stand. The stand is one piece
and open underneath but not much of an opening. And there is a lip around
it that tucks under. I knew I had set my keys in front of it. Somehow they
got pushed under it and tucked up into the lip. I couldn't see them when I
looked under and my hand barely fits but I did find them with my hand.

dsi1

May 31, 2015, 7:13:16 PM5/31/15
On 5/31/2015 12:53 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> We have that going on here too! I will be certain that something is in
> a specific spot but nobody can find it. In the end, it is exactly where
> I thought it was. Once it was my car keys. But what had happened there
> is that I have my computer monitor on a little stand. The stand is one
> piece and open underneath but not much of an opening. And there is a
> lip around it that tucks under. I knew I had set my keys in front of
> it. Somehow they got pushed under it and tucked up into the lip. I
> couldn't see them when I looked under and my hand barely fits but I did
> find them with my hand.

I can believe that the hand can recognize an object while the eyes
cannot. Very strange!