Dinner, no pics

jmcquown

Nov 30, 2016, 5:13:05 PM11/30/16
Breaded butterflied shrimp (baked), something akin to 'tater tots'
(Alexia brand, also baked), and steamed broccoli.

Despite the fact I live in shrimp country, I really am not a fan of
shrimp unless it's shelled, breaded and fried. Or in this case, baked
in the oven.

Jill

jmcquown

Nov 30, 2016, 6:01:38 PM11/30/16
On 11/30/2016 5:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The only thing I miss about South Carolina are rock shrimp. That's
> where I learned I could desensitize myself to my shrimp allergy by
> eating just a quarter of a shrimp at a time and doubling the dose
> every other day or so. I was THAT determined to eat all the rock
> shrimp I could find.
>
> They were cheap, too. Even though I had to shop mostly at Bi-Lo where
> prices were much higher than what I was used to.
>
> -sw

These breaded shrimp are Sea Pak brand, which you said you couldn't find
when I mentioned the breaded clam strips a few years back.

Other than scampi, I really don't go out of my way to eat shrimp.
Peeling and eating shrimp is pretty much just a chore.

Jill

Sqwertz

Nov 30, 2016, 6:37:42 PM11/30/16
On 11/30/2016 4:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Peeling and eating shrimp is pretty much just a chore.
>
> Jill

Bullying poor women like Julie is so much easier, eh bitch?

Taxed and Spent

Nov 30, 2016, 8:59:43 PM11/30/16
On 11/30/2016 2:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:12:58 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
> The only thing I miss about South Carolina are rock shrimp. That's
> where I learned I could desensitize myself to my shrimp allergy by
> eating just a quarter of a shrimp at a time and doubling the dose
> every other day or so. I was THAT determined to eat all the rock
> shrimp I could find.
>
> They were cheap, too. Even though I had to shop mostly at Bi-Lo where
> prices were much higher than what I was used to.
>
> -sw

Are you still de-sensitized? Er, shrimp-wise, we know the rest.

Seriously, I am curious if it took for good.

Roy

Nov 30, 2016, 9:25:34 PM11/30/16
And yet YOU never miss the opportunity to bully Jill. Why is that?
Are TROLLS at an advantage over other folk?
====

Brooklyn1

Nov 30, 2016, 9:46:35 PM11/30/16
What's the difference between a shrimp and a dwarf?

Taxed and Spent

Nov 30, 2016, 9:55:56 PM11/30/16
only one has good taste?

Jeßus

Nov 30, 2016, 9:57:17 PM11/30/16
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 21:46:28 -0500, Brooklyn1
<grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

>What's the difference between a shrimp and a dwarf?

We're not interested in any details about your penis.

Brooklyn1

Nov 30, 2016, 10:13:06 PM11/30/16
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 18:55:54 -0800, Taxed and Spent
Dwarf = TIAD.
http://www.alinedcrst.com/

jmcquown

Nov 30, 2016, 10:57:48 PM11/30/16
On 11/30/2016 7:13 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 18:01:31 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2016 5:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> The only thing I miss about South Carolina are rock shrimp. That's
>>> where I learned I could desensitize myself to my shrimp allergy by
>>> eating just a quarter of a shrimp at a time and doubling the dose
>>> every other day or so. I was THAT determined to eat all the rock
>>> shrimp I could find.
>>>
>>> They were cheap, too. Even though I had to shop mostly at Bi-Lo where
>>> prices were much higher than what I was used to.
>>>
>> These breaded shrimp are Sea Pak brand, which you said you couldn't find
>> when I mentioned the breaded clam strips a few years back.
>
> We get SeaPak stuff, just not the clams strips. I found some Mrs
> Paul's at Target a few months ago but they sucked. They were the size
> of cat food nuggets and all breading.
>
> -sw

Mrs. Pauls, not at all the same as Sea Pak breaded butterflied shrimp.
(BTW, I didn't buy the clam strips, simply noted them in a previous
discussion which seemed to also involve Howard Johnson's).

Jill

Bruce

Nov 30, 2016, 11:02:59 PM11/30/16
In article <23130da2-34af-44d3...@googlegroups.com>, Roy
says...
Trying to teach a troll manners is like trying to teach a bear not to
shit in the woods. How can you be so old and not know this? Do you live
under a rock?

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 1, 2016, 1:26:16 AM12/1/16
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 18:13:09 -0600, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 18:01:31 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2016 5:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> The only thing I miss about South Carolina are rock shrimp. That's
>>> where I learned I could desensitize myself to my shrimp allergy by
>>> eating just a quarter of a shrimp at a time and doubling the dose
>>> every other day or so. I was THAT determined to eat all the rock
>>> shrimp I could find.
>>>
>>> They were cheap, too. Even though I had to shop mostly at Bi-Lo where
>>> prices were much higher than what I was used to.
>>>
>> These breaded shrimp are Sea Pak brand, which you said you couldn't find
>> when I mentioned the breaded clam strips a few years back.
>
>We get SeaPak stuff, just not the clams strips. I found some Mrs
>Paul's at Target a few months ago but they sucked. They were the size
>of cat food nuggets and all breading.
>
>-sw

I got some panko breaded shrimp from Costco recently. The preferred
cooking method was the oven. I didn't care for them. I thought there
was way too much panko on them. You might like them. I just don't
really care for panko I guess.
Janet US

Ophelia

Dec 1, 2016, 4:20:59 AM12/1/16
"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
==================

Is Panko like breadcrumbs? I use breadcrumbs but make my own. I make fresh
which I keep in the freezer or dried which I have dehydrated.

I had always thought I would try Panko if I saw it but maybe not:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

jmcquown

Dec 1, 2016, 8:10:32 AM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 4:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> I got some panko breaded shrimp from Costco recently. The preferred
> cooking method was the oven. I didn't care for them. I thought there
> was way too much panko on them. You might like them. I just don't
> really care for panko I guess.
> Janet US
>
> ==================
>
> Is Panko like breadcrumbs? I use breadcrumbs but make my own. I make
> fresh which I keep in the freezer or dried which I have dehydrated.
>
> I had always thought I would try Panko if I saw it but maybe not:)

Panko is Japanese (style) course dried bread crumbs. I've tried Panko.
I was not terribly impressed and the price is ridiculous.

Jill

Taxed and Spent

Dec 1, 2016, 8:37:30 AM12/1/16
On 11/30/2016 8:55 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:59:41 -0800, Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2016 2:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> The only thing I miss about South Carolina are rock shrimp. That's
>>> where I learned I could desensitize myself to my shrimp allergy by
>>> eating just a quarter of a shrimp at a time and doubling the dose
>>> every other day or so. I was THAT determined to eat all the rock
>>> shrimp I could find.
>>>
>>> They were cheap, too. Even though I had to shop mostly at Bi-Lo where
>>> prices were much higher than what I was used to.
>>
>> Are you still de-sensitized? Er, shrimp-wise, we know the rest.
>>
>> Seriously, I am curious if it took for good.
>
> I have to eat shrimp, lobster, or crab every two weeks or so to keep
> the immunity up - even if it's just one or two shrimp. If I were to
> go 4-6 weeks without any I would have a mild to moderate reaction. If
> I were to go 3-4 months I would have a moderate to severe reaction and
> would have to go through the desensitizing cycle again. I've had to
> do that 3 or 4 times already. And I can never eat those small bay
> shrimp for some reason - those will cause a reaction no matter how
> long it's been.
>
> I always have a 2-lb bag of shrimp in the freezer so I always make
> sure I have at least a couple every couple weeks. And I never order
> anything with shrimp at a restaurant (mostly because they might use
> those cheap-assed bay shrimp).
>
> -sw

That is very interesting. Thanks.

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 9:19:36 AM12/1/16
I can get it in most grocery stores around here but I have never been
terribly impressed with the results. I stick to regular dried
breadcrumbs that cost a fraction of the price of panko.

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 1, 2016, 9:27:00 AM12/1/16
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 09:20:26 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
wrote:
the reason I don't care for panko is that the bread crumbs turn to
shards in the mouth (IMO) I don't like sharp, cutting foods.
Janet US

tert in seattle

Dec 1, 2016, 11:20:07 AM12/1/16
what's with all the panko hate??

it works great for me -- I often prefer it to standard bread crumbs and
it's not overpriced at Trader Joes's

Nancy Young

Dec 1, 2016, 11:23:48 AM12/1/16
Ron makes shrimp now and then, he does a nice version on the
grill, for one. But I had to tell him, when you say you're making
shrimp for dinner, I'm not going to be all Yay!

I'll eat it, but it's like fish. Bread it, fry it, I'll be happier
eating it. As you say, not a fan.

nancy

notbob

Dec 1, 2016, 11:45:25 AM12/1/16
On 2016-12-01, U.S Janet B <J...@nospam.com> wrote:

> shards in the mouth (IMO) I don't like sharp, cutting foods.

Stay far far away from Cap'n Crunch! ;)

nb --former CC junkie

Ophelia

Dec 1, 2016, 11:52:25 AM12/1/16
"jmcquown" wrote in message news:o1p7dk$mtd$1...@dont-email.me...
====

Thanks, that is good to know!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Dec 1, 2016, 11:52:27 AM12/1/16
"tert in seattle" wrote in message
=================

I have always made my own breadcrumbs, dry and fresh, so I think I will
continue to do so. I had always wondered about Panko having read about it
here.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Dec 1, 2016, 11:52:27 AM12/1/16
"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
================

OH dear:((( No, I wouldn't like that either:(

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 1, 2016, 11:53:16 AM12/1/16
No worries. I just don't eat cereal. I'm glad you broke your habit
;)
Janet US

jmcquown

Dec 1, 2016, 11:53:42 AM12/1/16
It's definitely over rated.

Jill

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 1, 2016, 12:00:26 PM12/1/16
I love the mouth feel, the taste, the aroma of shrimp. I'll eat
yours. I can't have any cooked shrimp in the refrigerator. I'll be
snacking and sneaking until it is all gone. I pick out the biggest
ones for my plate. If there is an odd number of shrimp, I get the
extra. Steamed, boiled, baked, grilled, fried -- I don't care.
When I was really ill, not able to eat, and thought I might not make
it, I said to my husband (while looking at the huge bag of frozen
shrimp at Costco) 'If I ever get better, I'm going to have a bag of
shrimp like that in my freezer at all times. And I do :)
Janet US

Nancy Young

Dec 1, 2016, 12:10:21 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 12:00 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 11:23:38 -0500, Nancy Young
> <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> Ron makes shrimp now and then, he does a nice version on the
>> grill, for one. But I had to tell him, when you say you're making
>> shrimp for dinner, I'm not going to be all Yay!
>>
>> I'll eat it, but it's like fish. Bread it, fry it, I'll be happier
>> eating it. As you say, not a fan.

> I love the mouth feel, the taste, the aroma of shrimp. I'll eat
> yours.

That would be cool with me! Heh. I always get a bag of frozen
cooked shrimp at holidays and bring it with cocktail sauce for people
to munch on waiting for dinner. I almost never have any myself.

> I can't have any cooked shrimp in the refrigerator. I'll be
> snacking and sneaking until it is all gone. I pick out the biggest
> ones for my plate. If there is an odd number of shrimp, I get the
> extra.

(laugh) Hey, nothing wrong with that, I'm like that with a plate
of cookies and that's way worse for you.

> Steamed, boiled, baked, grilled, fried -- I don't care.
> When I was really ill, not able to eat, and thought I might not make
> it, I said to my husband (while looking at the huge bag of frozen
> shrimp at Costco) 'If I ever get better, I'm going to have a bag of
> shrimp like that in my freezer at all times. And I do :)

Talk about comfort food. And I am thrilled you got better to have
that shrimp. I get the Costco bags, too. Just not for myself.

nancy

Nancy Young

Dec 1, 2016, 12:13:47 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 11:18 AM, tert in seattle wrote:
> U.S Janet B wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 09:20:26 -0000, "Ophelia" <OphEl...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I got some panko breaded shrimp from Costco recently.

I have that in my freezer as we speak. There was a coupon.

>>> The preferred
>>> cooking method was the oven. I didn't care for them. I thought there
>>> was way too much panko on them. You might like them. I just don't
>>> really care for panko I guess.

>>> Is Panko like breadcrumbs? I use breadcrumbs but make my own. I make fresh
>>> which I keep in the freezer or dried which I have dehydrated.
>>>
>>> I had always thought I would try Panko if I saw it but maybe not:)

I love panko. It's not like your regular breadcrumbs, not that I have
a problem with those, either.

>> the reason I don't care for panko is that the bread crumbs turn to
>> shards in the mouth (IMO) I don't like sharp, cutting foods.
>> Janet US
>
> what's with all the panko hate??
>
> it works great for me -- I often prefer it to standard bread crumbs and
> it's not overpriced at Trader Joes's

It's gotten easier to find and not as expensive as it was for a while
there. I like it for chicken strips, too.

nancy

Brooklyn1

Dec 1, 2016, 12:31:27 PM12/1/16
Taxed and Spent wrote:
>Sqwertz wrote:
>>Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Are you still de-sensitized? Er, shrimp-wise, we know the rest.
>>> Seriously, I am curious if it took for good.
>>
>> I have to eat shrimp, lobster, or crab every two weeks or so to keep
>> the immunity up - even if it's just one or two shrimp. If I were to
>> go 4-6 weeks without any I would have a mild to moderate reaction. If
>> I were to go 3-4 months I would have a moderate to severe reaction and
>> would have to go through the desensitizing cycle again.
>
>That is very interesting. Thanks.

Makes as much sense as my saying I need to eat beef every three days
to remain hung like a bull! LOL

Brooklyn1

Dec 1, 2016, 12:48:15 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 07:26:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
I prefer matzo meal and I make my own. At Passover in NY matzo is
very inexpensive, 5 lbs/$5. When I want matzo meal I run a few sheets
through my meat grinder. We like matzo for spreads rather than
crackers.

graham

Dec 1, 2016, 12:59:02 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 9:50 AM, Ophelia wrote:
==================

>> Is Panko like breadcrumbs? I use breadcrumbs but make my own. I make
>> fresh
>> which I keep in the freezer or dried which I have dehydrated.
>>
>> I had always thought I would try Panko if I saw it but maybe not:)
>
> the reason I don't care for panko is that the bread crumbs turn to
> shards in the mouth (IMO) I don't like sharp, cutting foods.
> Janet US
>
> ================
>
> OH dear:((( No, I wouldn't like that either:(

It's worth trying, however. Look in Waitrose.
Graham

graham

Dec 1, 2016, 1:01:51 PM12/1/16
But handy to have if, like me, you live alone and times when breadcrumbs
are needed are few and far between. Also, in this house, all the bread
gets eaten so there is nothing with which to make conventional breadcrumbs!
Graham

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 1, 2016, 1:12:40 PM12/1/16
I don't hate panko, but it is quite sharp. I do hate standard
bread crumbs, which are like sand. We generally make our own,
since we don't use them very often.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Dec 1, 2016, 1:18:28 PM12/1/16
In this instance, I buy store brand dried breadcrumbs in a cannister at
half the price of Panko.

Jill

dsi1

Dec 1, 2016, 1:42:02 PM12/1/16
We go through a lot of panko on this rock because chicken katsu is probably the most popular plate lunch to order. Panko is essential for katsu and croquettes too. I expect that chicken katsu will get popular on the mainland sooner or later.

One of my favorite dishes is French toast coated with corn flake crumbs and fried. You can use panko instead but I've never tried it. Looks good.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crunchy-french-toast/

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 2:07:22 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 08:10:20 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Panko is Japanese (style) course dried bread crumbs. I've tried Panko.
> I was not terribly impressed and the price is ridiculous.

I really like Panko, I wish I could DIY it but alas have to buy it. It
can be expensive as you say but recently I found a cheaper brand here
that seems just as good as the usual brands.

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 2:10:30 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 07:26:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:

Wow, you must be sensitive in the mouth. I do like how Panko is
'sharper' in texture but I never found it uncomfortable to eat in any
way. How do you deal with something like cornflakes?

graham

Dec 1, 2016, 2:14:06 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 11:29 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I use panko a lot and it's not over-rated. Much different texture
> than regular Progresso-like bread crumbs. Excellent for fish and pork
> chops.
>
> The pre-breaded seafood and chicken that I've seen advertising itself
> as "panko crusted" isn't really panko. It's much denser and not
> really much different than the standard commercial breadings.
>
> -sw

The other day I coated some skinless chicken breasts with tarragon
mustard and then with panko before roasting. I and my guests enjoyed them.

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 2:18:44 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 19:06:57 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:

>On 1-Dec-2016, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
>> I use panko a lot and it's not over-rated. Much different texture
>> than regular Progresso-like bread crumbs.
>I always have both on--hand and must say, panko is much better for many
>dishes. About the only place I still use Progresso-style bread crumbs are
>those with sauces. Chicken, fish and casserole toppings, where I want
>crunch to feature, panko is my preference.

Panko was a revelation for me (I discovered it through this group).
I still use normal breadcrumbs but when I have some nice salmon
fillets or similar, Panko just takes it to another level. Especially
with the texture and how it browns in the pan/oven.

Ophelia

Dec 1, 2016, 2:20:29 PM12/1/16
"graham" wrote in message news:o1poal$ns9$1...@dont-email.me...
=============

Oh? You like it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Ophelia

Dec 1, 2016, 2:20:30 PM12/1/16
"graham" wrote in message news:o1poft$ns9$2...@dont-email.me...
====================

I make sure I always have breadcrumbs. I save crusts to either dry and make
crumbs, or use them fresh. I like to add things like dried Italian
seasoning, garlic etc. and freeze it. It makes a lovely coating for chops
etc:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Bruce

Dec 1, 2016, 2:21:14 PM12/1/16
In article <k8t04cdngi7gq0m2g...@j.net>, Jeßus says...
Or bread crust?

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 2:23:59 PM12/1/16
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 06:21:08 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Yes. Although on very rare occasions I have come across bread crust
that was seemingly indestructible.

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 1, 2016, 2:28:11 PM12/1/16
On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 06:10:21 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 07:26:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
>wrote:
snip

>>the reason I don't care for panko is that the bread crumbs turn to
>>shards in the mouth (IMO) I don't like sharp, cutting foods.
>
>Wow, you must be sensitive in the mouth. I do like how Panko is
>'sharper' in texture but I never found it uncomfortable to eat in any
>way. How do you deal with something like cornflakes?

I've never eaten cereal, mother could never make me like it and I
still don't like it.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 1, 2016, 2:31:14 PM12/1/16
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 06:21:08 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

bread crust is different, especially if I make it. It doesn't have a
sweet, pasty taste or feel. Besides, if you cut something like a
baguette on a sharp diagonal, your angle of bite is not confronted
with jamming sharp shards of bread crust into your gums. Recommended
cutting method.
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 1, 2016, 2:32:52 PM12/1/16
those are the crusts resulting from a baker that conquered the dough
by adding more and more flour. Having a light hand with flour
produces a crust with no relation to cement.
Janet US

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 2:37:55 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 12:32:48 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 06:23:50 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 06:21:08 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In article <k8t04cdngi7gq0m2g...@j.net>, Jeßus says...

>>>Or bread crust?
>>
>>Yes. Although on very rare occasions I have come across bread crust
>>that was seemingly indestructible.
>
>those are the crusts resulting from a baker that conquered the dough
>by adding more and more flour. Having a light hand with flour
>produces a crust with no relation to cement.

Ah, so that's the cause of the phenomenon, thanks. My knowledge of
baking is fairly basic.

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 2:38:20 PM12/1/16
On 2016-12-01 11:23 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Despite the fact I live in shrimp country, I really am not a fan of
>> shrimp unless it's shelled, breaded and fried. Or in this case, baked
>> in the oven.
>
> Ron makes shrimp now and then, he does a nice version on the
> grill, for one. But I had to tell him, when you say you're making
> shrimp for dinner, I'm not going to be all Yay!
>
> I'll eat it, but it's like fish. Bread it, fry it, I'll be happier
> eating it. As you say, not a fan.

That's a damned shame. I loved shrimp bag in the days when the most
common way to see it was breaded and deep fried. When shrimp started to
become easier to find and more affordable I started preparing it
different ways. Different sized shrimps need different preparations
but I find it hard to beat nice big shrimp marinated with a nice spicy
sauce and grilled on the BBQ. Smaller ones are nice stir fried and
tossed into pasta. Either way calls for lots of garlic. Quite frankly,
deep fried is now my least favourite way to eat them.

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 2:41:35 PM12/1/16
On 2016-12-01 12:00 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 11:23:38 -0500, Nancy Young

> I love the mouth feel, the taste, the aroma of shrimp. I'll eat
> yours. I can't have any cooked shrimp in the refrigerator. I'll be
> snacking and sneaking until it is all gone. I pick out the biggest
> ones for my plate. If there is an odd number of shrimp, I get the
> extra. Steamed, boiled, baked, grilled, fried -- I don't care.

I will arm wrestle you for them.

> When I was really ill, not able to eat, and thought I might not make
> it, I said to my husband (while looking at the huge bag of frozen
> shrimp at Costco) 'If I ever get better, I'm going to have a bag of
> shrimp like that in my freezer at all times. And I do :)

I find it hard to resist them. If I ever had to make a decision what
meat/fish I would choose if I could only have one thing for the rest of
my life it would almost certainly be shrimp.

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 2:42:33 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 12:28:08 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 06:10:21 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 07:26:56 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
>>wrote:
>snip
>>>
>>>the reason I don't care for panko is that the bread crumbs turn to
>>>shards in the mouth (IMO) I don't like sharp, cutting foods.
>>
>>Wow, you must be sensitive in the mouth. I do like how Panko is
>>'sharper' in texture but I never found it uncomfortable to eat in any
>>way. How do you deal with something like cornflakes?
>
>I've never eaten cereal, mother could never make me like it and I
>still don't like it.

I wasn't real big on cereals as a kid either, with one notable
exception: https://www.weetbix.com.au/ I think I may have kept the
company in business on my own with the amount of weet-bix I ate as a
kid.

Most cereals are just nasty. Might as well just eat a bowl of sugar.

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 1, 2016, 2:45:28 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 10:00:21 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <J...@nospam.com>
wrote:
I'm the same and it has killed me all day having a lovely shrimp ring
(the large size shrimp) thawing in the fridge for my eldest grandson
and his wife, they are coming for eats tonight and the shrimp are his
treat because he has to adjust the shower door for me :)

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 1, 2016, 2:46:19 PM12/1/16
On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 1:42:02 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> We go through a lot of panko on this rock because chicken katsu is
> probably the most popular plate lunch to order. Panko is essential for
> katsu and croquettes too. I expect that chicken katsu will get popular
> on the mainland sooner or later.

I've had both chicken katsu and salmon katsu (and probably pork
katsu, come to think of it), but I generally prefer salmon
shioyaki. The katsu sauce is too sweet for me, but I love that
finely grated daikon that they generally serve with shioyaki.

Cindy Hamilton

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 1, 2016, 2:47:00 PM12/1/16
No use being hung like that with a mouth like a sewer overhead!

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 1, 2016, 2:48:38 PM12/1/16
I'm with you Graham, I like to dredge a chicken leg in beaten egg then
Panko and bake, very tasty.

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 2:50:18 PM12/1/16
Just half the price? I thought it was more like a quarter.

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 1, 2016, 2:50:36 PM12/1/16
High Five! I agree :)
Janet US

U.S. Janet B.

Dec 1, 2016, 2:52:44 PM12/1/16
Make 'em oatmeal :)) They'll never know ;)
Janet US

Ophelia

Dec 1, 2016, 2:58:40 PM12/1/16
"dsi1" wrote in message
==============

It certainly does look good!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

notbob

Dec 1, 2016, 2:58:55 PM12/1/16
On 2016-12-01, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I find it hard to resist them.

Apparently, you have not seen the documentary on how Thai shrimp
farming is destroying the mangroves swamps along the SE Asia coast.
Or how they keep the shrimp in huge ponds until they are almost dead,
but are able to harvest due to feeding the shrimp tons o' antibiotics
to save 'em.

Gulf shrimp? I hope you like dispersants. I hear BP will provide all
the Corexit you can tolerate. .....and more! ;)

nb

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 3:10:40 PM12/1/16
A few years ago we tried a new restaurant in town and I had ordered
calamari, which they had billed as being breaded with panko and served
with a special dipping sauce. They must have been under the same
impression you are about it taking things to a new level. At time I
could get an order of breaded calamari in a Greek restaurant and it
would have cost about $6 for an order with about a half dozen squid cut
into rings and piled on a plate with some tzitzikis on the side. This
place served one squid. It had been cut into tubes about an inch long,
breaded (in Panko), deep fried and then plated with the pieces in the
order they were cut..... for $13.95. One squid. Holy crap. Their
special dipping sauce was nothing more than a good quality commercial
seafood cocktail sauce. I used to buy squid and cook it myself and at
that time I could get a package with a dozen cleaned and frozen for $3.

Panko may raise the bar a little but IMNSHO it does no warrant a 1200%
increase.

graham

Dec 1, 2016, 3:10:58 PM12/1/16
If you ever make bread dough, err on the side of sticky and wet your
hands to handle it.
Graham

graham

Dec 1, 2016, 3:13:09 PM12/1/16
Try coating it with mustard next time.

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 3:14:01 PM12/1/16
We are going to have to stick to agreeing about shrimp. I like cereals,
hot and cold. Some are better than others. I normally buy Shredded
Wheat, but occasionally have some other non sugared cereal. In the
colder months I have porridge most days and alternate oatmeal (large
flake), Cream of Wheat and Red River.

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 3:27:22 PM12/1/16
There are lots of cereals with little or no sugar. Shredded Wheat has
none.

My poor brother is getting psyched up for visit from his inlaws. The MiL
can be a real pain in the ass with her strange diet. She insists on
cereal for breakfast but never likes what he has on hand. She looks at
all the ingredients and they all have too much sugar added. He pointed
out that Shredded Wheat has no salt and no sugar.... she doesn't like
it. She also has issues with the amount of fat in cereals.
After all these years it still does not occur to her to bring her own
cereal.

When on vacation together the family went out for brunch. MiL, who won't
eat cereals with fat and sugar, ordered eggs Benedict. Everyone wanted
to get moving to work off a huge brunch but they had to wait for MiL to
have her desert.... chocolate fudge cheesecake. Go figger.

Sqwertz

Dec 1, 2016, 3:28:56 PM12/1/16
On 11/30/2016 7:25 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 4:37:42 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On 11/30/2016 4:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Peeling and eating shrimp is pretty much just a chore.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Bullying poor women like Julie is so much easier, eh bitch?
>
> And yet YOU never miss the opportunity to bully Jill. Why is that?

Because she EARNED it Roy boy, she fucking EARNED IT by making Julie
miserable for YEARS!

> Are TROLLS at an advantage over other folk?
> ====

I'd like to come up there and ram a fucking hay rake up your prolapsed
anus, you Goddamned Canuck trash!

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 3:28:57 PM12/1/16
On 2016-12-01 2:58 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-12-01, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> I find it hard to resist them.
>
> Apparently, you have not seen the documentary on how Thai shrimp
> farming is destroying the mangroves swamps along the SE Asia coast.
> Or how they keep the shrimp in huge ponds until they are almost dead,
> but are able to harvest due to feeding the shrimp tons o' antibiotics
> to save 'em.

It's called denial. I have seen the videos and I can block them out of
my head.

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 3:31:43 PM12/1/16
That would work. Mustard goes well with chicken.

One of my favourite and easiest ways to cook scallops uses mustard. Mix
equal parts of cream and prepared mustard. Dip scallops in the liquid,
roll in bread crumbs (or Panko), stick them on a skewer and broil them
until they turn golden brown.

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 3:37:09 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 15:28:24 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>When on vacation together the family went out for brunch. MiL, who won't
>eat cereals with fat and sugar, ordered eggs Benedict.

LOL.

dsi1

Dec 1, 2016, 3:39:16 PM12/1/16
Having a crisp crust is important in French bread. I've added wheat gluten to dough to get that kind of crust, a big fat rise, and a large cell structure. It works great. OTOH, the addition of wheat gluten to bread might be the reason we see this anti-gluten movement.

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 3:39:29 PM12/1/16
It *is* still possible to buy clean, quality shrimp in S.E Asia. It's
not all like such videos depict.

Nunya Bidnits

Dec 1, 2016, 3:41:53 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 12:42 PM, Je�us wrote:
> Most cereals are just nasty. Might as well just eat a bowl of sugar.

Eat a fucking lightbulb, you worthless Auztarded scum.

Sqwertz

Dec 1, 2016, 3:43:04 PM12/1/16
What did "David" have, a snail sized prick?

Nunya Bidnits

Dec 1, 2016, 3:45:45 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 1:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> When on vacation together the family went out for brunch. MiL, who won't
> eat cereals with fat and sugar, ordered eggs Benedict.

NO ONE FUCKING CARES, YOU OLD WASHERWOMAN!

dsi1

Dec 1, 2016, 3:46:25 PM12/1/16
I don't care for daikon but if you grate it finely and serve it with fish, it's sublime. I wish I could grate daikon like that.

Bruce

Dec 1, 2016, 3:56:27 PM12/1/16
In article <3b575f74-87d4-4bf9...@googlegroups.com>, dsi1
says...
I can't think of any food that I don't care for even though I think it's
sublime.

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 4:01:46 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 13:10:57 -0700, graham <gst...@shaw.ca> wrote:
Noted and thanks Graham. For a time I used to make my own sourdough
bread, these days I find it too time consuming (I do most things from
scratch as it is) and cheat by using a machine and bread mix.

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 4:05:06 PM12/1/16
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 07:56:20 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <3b575f74-87d4-4bf9...@googlegroups.com>, dsi1
>says...
>>
>> I don't care for daikon but if you grate it finely and serve it with fish, it's sublime.
>
>I can't think of any food that I don't care for even though I think it's
>sublime.

Maybe he thinks it tastes like a lime that's below the surface of
water.

Nancy Young

Dec 1, 2016, 4:05:08 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 2:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2016-12-01 11:23 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I'll eat it, but it's like fish. Bread it, fry it, I'll be happier
>> eating it. As you say, not a fan.
>>

> That's a damned shame. I loved shrimp bag in the days when the most
> common way to see it was breaded and deep fried. When shrimp started to
> become easier to find and more affordable I started preparing it
> different ways. Different sized shrimps need different preparations
> but I find it hard to beat nice big shrimp marinated with a nice spicy
> sauce and grilled on the BBQ. Smaller ones are nice stir fried and
> tossed into pasta. Either way calls for lots of garlic. Quite frankly,
> deep fried is now my least favourite way to eat them.

I totally get it, I know I like fish and seafood for people who really
don't like it. Bread it, fry it, tempura it, whatever. I'll eat it
grilled or boiled, but I don't overly enjoy it. And the huge shrimp?
They actually freak me out a bit.

nancy

dsi1

Dec 1, 2016, 4:10:58 PM12/1/16
I'm kinda picky about foods - except in this newsgroup where, relatively speaking, I'll eat anything.

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 4:14:14 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 15:11:41 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2016-12-01 2:18 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 19:06:57 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:
>>

>> Panko was a revelation for me (I discovered it through this group).
>> I still use normal breadcrumbs but when I have some nice salmon
>> fillets or similar, Panko just takes it to another level. Especially
>> with the texture and how it browns in the pan/oven.
>>

>A few years ago we tried a new restaurant in town and I had ordered
>calamari, which they had billed as being breaded with panko and served
>with a special dipping sauce. They must have been under the same
>impression you are about it taking things to a new level. At time I
>could get an order of breaded calamari in a Greek restaurant and it
>would have cost about $6 for an order with about a half dozen squid cut
>into rings and piled on a plate with some tzitzikis on the side. This
>place served one squid. It had been cut into tubes about an inch long,
>breaded (in Panko), deep fried and then plated with the pieces in the
>order they were cut..... for $13.95. One squid. Holy crap.

I'm a little de-sensitised when it comes to high prices since being in
Singapore, but yes that it expensive. Some restaurants think they can
get away with over-inflated prices due to their perceived image.

>Their
>special dipping sauce was nothing more than a good quality commercial
>seafood cocktail sauce. I used to buy squid and cook it myself and at
>that time I could get a package with a dozen cleaned and frozen for $3.
>
>Panko may raise the bar a little but IMNSHO it does no warrant a 1200%
>increase.

No, it certainly doesn't.

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 1, 2016, 4:15:06 PM12/1/16
English mustard, or pretend mustard ?

Jeßus

Dec 1, 2016, 4:16:04 PM12/1/16
On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 13:10:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm kinda picky about foods - except in this newsgroup where, relatively speaking, I'll eat anything.

Cannibalism eh? At least you're open minded about what you eat.

Bruce

Dec 1, 2016, 4:16:57 PM12/1/16
In article <p1414c9rre1j81imq...@j.net>, Jeßus says...
Lol, I had to read that a couple of times.

Bruce

Dec 1, 2016, 4:20:16 PM12/1/16
In article <1m414cpkova91v5b8...@4ax.com>,
lucreti...@fl.it says...
What's English mustard? I only know French mustard (and Dutch mustard).

Sqwertz

Dec 1, 2016, 4:30:20 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 2:14 PM, Je�us wrote:
> I'm a little de-sensitised

Anyone who has read your hate screeds here knows that!

Sqwertz

Dec 1, 2016, 4:30:29 PM12/1/16
I'm thinking that seeing you whacked, strung, hung, bled out, filleted,
and put on skewers over charcoal might be the one good use for you.

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 1, 2016, 4:50:51 PM12/1/16
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 08:20:11 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Colemans

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 4:50:58 PM12/1/16
On 2016-12-01 3:46 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I don't care for daikon but if you grate it finely and serve it with
> fish, it's sublime. I wish I could grate daikon like that.

One of us must not understand the meaning of sublime.

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 4:53:51 PM12/1/16
WTF??

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 4:59:26 PM12/1/16
On 2016-12-01 4:14 PM, Je�us wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 15:11:41 -0500, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-12-01 2:18 PM, Je?us wrote:
>>> On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 19:06:57 GMT, "l not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Panko was a revelation for me (I discovered it through this group).
>>> I still use normal breadcrumbs but when I have some nice salmon
>>> fillets or similar, Panko just takes it to another level. Especially
>>> with the texture and how it browns in the pan/oven.
>>>

>> A few years ago we tried a new restaurant in town and I had ordered
>> calamari, which they had billed as being breaded with panko and served
>> with a special dipping sauce. They must have been under the same
>> impression you are about it taking things to a new level. At time I
>> could get an order of breaded calamari in a Greek restaurant and it
>> would have cost about $6 for an order with about a half dozen squid cut
>> into rings and piled on a plate with some tzitzikis on the side. This
>> place served one squid. It had been cut into tubes about an inch long,
>> breaded (in Panko), deep fried and then plated with the pieces in the
>> order they were cut..... for $13.95. One squid. Holy crap.
>
> I'm a little de-sensitised when it comes to high prices since being in
> Singapore, but yes that it expensive. Some restaurants think they can
> get away with over-inflated prices due to their perceived image.

This place not only thinks they can get away with it, but it appears
that they really are getting away with it. Looking back, that dinner was
probably 10 years ago and the place is still going and still fairly
busy. Personally, I thought it was an outrageous price to charge for
something with cheap ingredients and very little labour. Greek
restaurants were selling the same things with six times the number of
squid and for half the price. Panko didn't make it that much better and
panko, while more expensive than regular breadcrumbs or a flour and
cornmeal mixture, it still doesn't warrant 12 times the price.

Bruce

Dec 1, 2016, 5:00:56 PM12/1/16
In article <2p614cl2cu9j12qdt...@4ax.com>,
lucreti...@fl.it says...
Thanks, that's new to me.

http://www.colmans.co.uk/

Nunya Bidnits

Dec 1, 2016, 5:02:36 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 3:00 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> Colemans
> Thanks, that's new to me.

You truly are a know-nothing moron!

Dave Smith

Dec 1, 2016, 5:04:00 PM12/1/16
On 2016-12-01 4:20 PM, Bruce wrote:
> In article <1m414cpkova91v5b8...@4ax.com>,
> lucreti...@fl.it says...

>>> Try coating it with mustard next time.
>>
>> English mustard, or pretend mustard ?
>
> What's English mustard? I only know French mustard (and Dutch mustard).

It has a kick to it. I don't think you would want to be coating anything
with it. A little goes a long way.

jmcquown

Dec 1, 2016, 5:06:47 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 2:58 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 6:52:27 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "tert in seattle" wrote in message
>>
>> U.S Janet B wrote:

>> > the reason I don't care for panko is that the bread crumbs turn to
>> > shards in the mouth (IMO) I don't like sharp, cutting foods.
>> > Janet US
>>
>> what's with all the panko hate??
>>
>> it works great for me -- I often prefer it to standard bread crumbs and
>> it's not overpriced at Trader Joes's
>>
>> =================
>>
>> I have always made my own breadcrumbs, dry and fresh, so I think I will
>> continue to do so. I had always wondered about Panko having read
>> about it
>> here.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
>
> We go through a lot of panko on this rock because chicken katsu is probably
> the most popular plate lunch to order. Panko is essential for katsu and
> croquettes too. I expect that chicken katsu will get popular on the
> mainland
> sooner or later.
>
> One of my favorite dishes is French toast coated with corn flake crumbs and
> fried. You can use panko instead but I've never tried it. Looks good.
>
> http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crunchy-french-toast/
>
> ==============
>
> It certainly does look good!

I'm terribly sorry, no thanks to *sweet* french toast. The crunchy idea
is fine but please keep vanilla and sugar out of it.

Jill

Bruce

Dec 1, 2016, 5:08:16 PM12/1/16
In article <9110A.59423$lD2....@fx14.iad>, l not -l says...
> English mustard is quite hot compared to many other mustards. Coleman's is
> the brand I use.

And it's a fine mustard, not a grainy one, judging by pictures. Dijon
style, but maybe hotter.

Bruce

Dec 1, 2016, 5:10:36 PM12/1/16
In article <h710A.243578$8E2.1...@fx33.iad>, Dave Smith says...
I eat chilli peppers for breakfast, but yeah, I guess it would overpower
as a coating.

graham

Dec 1, 2016, 5:18:44 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 1:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 9:32:52 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 06:23:50 +1100, Jeßus <j...@j.net> wrote:

>>> Yes. Although on very rare occasions I have come across bread crust
>>> that was seemingly indestructible.
>>
>> those are the crusts resulting from a baker that conquered the dough
>> by adding more and more flour. Having a light hand with flour
>> produces a crust with no relation to cement.
>> Janet US
>
> Having a crisp crust is important in French bread. I've added wheat gluten to dough to get that kind of crust, a big fat rise, and a large cell structure. It works great. OTOH, the addition of wheat gluten to bread might be the reason we see this anti-gluten movement.

I don't think the gluten content in bread flour has changed much over
the last 100 years or so. The % in Red Fife, a Canadian Heritage Grain
is about the same as modern strains.
Apart from genuine coeliacs, this so-called gluten sensitivity is
another manufactured fad, IMNSHO:-)

lucreti...@fl.it

Dec 1, 2016, 5:19:12 PM12/1/16
On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 09:08:09 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
Much hotter. I would have been 8-10 and we were at our cottage in
Japan - my father had asked these Americans from the base down. The
kid my age was a braggart type, when I passed him the mustard for his
hot dog I said to him it was English mustard. He knew better and
smeared it completely - so I just sat and watched him while he ate
every bit with his eyes watering :)

Sqwertz

Dec 1, 2016, 5:21:04 PM12/1/16
On 12/1/2016 3:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I'm terribly sorry, no thanks to *sweet* french toast.

You truly are one SORRY old, used-up, thin-haired, sickening bully BITCH!

Go gargle with Drano.

graham

Dec 1, 2016, 5:22:24 PM12/1/16
I use Dijon (+ tarragon) which is still pretty hot but the heat
dissipates during cooking so you could use English.
It is loading more messages.