Re: faith

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Nov 24, 2015, 11:20:51 PM11/24/15
article <56547A52...@att.net>, g.ma...@att.net wrote:
>Just today in the mail she sent me more bible quotes, etc.
>Here's one that she underlined:
>"We are all born with a corrupt nature inherited from Adam (5:12), and
>neither good works nor moral values can overcome it. God alone can
>remedy the situation..."
>Basically, only if you fall on your face and worship HE will you be
>saved.
>That's old ignorant beliefs, imo, and not for me. Sorry.

Suppose you were a bank robber, having gotten away with hundreds of robberies
before getting caught. Then, you are convincted in a trial and serve a twenty-
year sentence. During that time, you presumably reflect, repent and reform your
morals, such that you expect not to rob again upon your release. But then, you
get out of prison, can't find employment because of your criminal record and
become desperate enough to rob some convenience stores.
In that scenario, the criminal justice system attempted to rehabilitate you.
You also put in genuine effort. And yet, your "nature" remains criminal. Who or
what could fix that? You tried, the best psychotherapists money could buy
tried, the best lawyers defended you, the strictest parole committee pronounced
you ready for society. And yet, your nature compels you to steal again. How
would you fix that?

John Kuthe

Nov 25, 2015, 10:06:24 AM11/25/15

Faith is nothing more than the acceptance of something as true in the absence of much or any EVIDENCE of that thing's truth!!

Just WANTING something to be true DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE!!

John Kuthe...

Hidalgo

Nov 25, 2015, 11:04:48 AM11/25/15
John Kuthe wrote:

> Faith is nothing more than the acceptance of something as true in the absence of much or any EVIDENCE of that thing's truth!!

Like magnetism was.

> Just WANTING something to be true DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE!!
>
> John Kuthe...

Like your alleged academic superiority.

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:03:31 PM11/25/15
"My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me."

Casa Boner, Fri, 20 Sep 2013 18:37:53 -0600
--
Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.

Barbara J Llorente

Nov 25, 2015, 3:08:01 PM11/25/15

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Nov 25, 2015, 9:43:25 PM11/25/15
In article <3b4c69a9-a5e4-4424...@googlegroups.com>,
johnk...@gmail.com wrote:
>Faith is nothing more than the acceptance of something as true in the absence
of much or any EVIDENCE of that thing's truth!!

On the contrary, people of faith believe that there is near constant evidence
of our faith's fruits. Why would we believe in something that neither came
through nor came true?

>Just WANTING something to be true DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE!!

You make it sound as though faith is a picnic celebrated by people wanting
bullshit to be true. Just two weeks ago, more than a hundred young Parisians
lost their lives through senseless terrorist violence. Do we "want" to believe
that there was some incomprehensible Divine justice in those deaths, that those
people died to wake us up to something? Of course, we want to believe that they
did not die in vain, the consequences of ruthless evil gone awry. It's not
comfortable to try and explain that mysterious Divine justice to ourselves and
others. Faith is no walk in the park.
Orlando

sf

Nov 26, 2015, 12:50:46 AM11/26/15
What on earth are you two nattering about now? This is the perfect
example of why groups should be moderated.