Dinner today

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 8:34:49 AM1/31/18
Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
Roasted potatoes
Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I added a few
chopped mushrooms too.

You??

--
http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 31, 2018, 9:09:39 AM1/31/18
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 8:34:49 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
> Roasted potatoes
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
>
> You??

Pork chops marinated in soy, garlic, ginger, sesame oil,
black rice vinegar, chili paste. Grilled.
Salad dressed with lime juice, Japanese rice vinegar, neutral oil.
Rice.
Perhaps broccoli (microwaved until tender-crisp).

Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 31, 2018, 10:05:56 AM1/31/18
On 1/31/2018 8:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
> Roasted potatoes
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon.  Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
>
> You??

New meal from leftovers.

Pork roast and pappardelle with tomato sauce

Had a pork roast so that is good for a few meals. Last week we made
ravioli and with the leftover dough I'll roll it out for pappardelle and
use the rest of the sauce.

Terry Coombs

Jan 31, 2018, 10:13:38 AM1/31/18
I'm thinking pork loin steaks Parmesan(using some of my spaghetti sauce
from the freezer)with pasta, garlic bread , and a nice green salad . I
might open that bottle of Stone Hill Golden Spumante , or may have the
Curling Vine Perfect Red . Either would go well with this meal .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Gary

Jan 31, 2018, 12:08:39 PM1/31/18
Terry Coombs wrote:

> I'm thinking pork loin steaks Parmesan(using some of my spaghetti sauce
> from the freezer)with pasta, garlic bread , and a nice green salad . I
> might open that bottle of Stone Hill Golden Spumante , or may have the
> Curling Vine Perfect Red . Either would go well with this meal .

Up front I'll say, "just teasing." (and I really am)
IMO, drinking any wine with any meal will make it a good meal,
depending on how much you drink (to cleanse the pallette. ehh)

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 12:17:07 PM1/31/18

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
==

Sounds good:)

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 12:24:49 PM1/31/18

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:p4smev$31h$1...@dont-email.me...

On 1/31/2018 7:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
> Roasted potatoes
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
>
> You??
>

> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I'm thinking pork loin steaks Parmesan(using some of my spaghetti sauce
from the freezer)with pasta, garlic bread , and a nice green salad . I
might open that bottle of Stone Hill Golden Spumante , or may have the
Curling Vine Perfect Red . Either would go well with this meal .

Snag

==

Good stuff:))

Chin chin:))

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 12:24:50 PM1/31/18

"l not -l" wrote in message news:SSlcC.35$qc...@fx04.iad...

On 31-Jan-2018, "Ophelia" <OphiEl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
> Roasted potatoes
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I
> added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
>
> You??
Sunday, I made chuck roast, one-bite rainbow potatoes (a mix of
white, red and purple), carrots and onions. Today's dinner will
be leftovers from that meal. Nothing green; the braised collards
are all gone. Mandarin oranges for dessert.

==

Oh no, you broke the pork run <g> Actually your chuck roast and veg sounds
great:))

I love to see what others make. It gives me ideas for dinners to make:)

--
Change cujo to juno to make a valid email address.

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 12:24:50 PM1/31/18

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news:lXkcC.17607$FY2....@fx14.iad...
==

I made ravioli a couple of weeks ago:) I've never made pappardelle. I
think
I might just do that, thanks. What kind of sauce will you make? Meat?

jmcquown

Jan 31, 2018, 1:15:43 PM1/31/18
On 1/31/2018 8:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
> Roasted potatoes
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon.  Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
>
> You??

Dinner will be rotini pasta tossed with lump crab meat and alfredo
sauce, then baked for a few minutes with buttered breadcrumbs and
freshly grated paremesan cheese on top. Oh my, there will cheese with
seafood! Microwaved broccoli florets on the side. :)

Jill

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 1:51:58 PM1/31/18

"jmcquown" wrote in message news:fJncC.4$rk...@fx12.iad...
==

It's all good:))

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 31, 2018, 2:40:12 PM1/31/18
Left over from the ravioli, yes a meat sauce.

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 2:51:26 PM1/31/18
Vietnamese pork chops are up again tonight:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/vietnamese-grilled-pork-chop-thit-heo-nuong-xa-recipe.html

Ingredients

For the Pork:
2 teaspoons whole white peppercorns, or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground
white pepper (4g)
Pinch kosher salt
3 stalks lemongrass, bottom 4 to 5 inches only, outer leaves
discarded, tender core thinly sliced (about 2 ounces; 60g sliced lemongrass)
1 small shallot, roughly chopped (about 1 ounce; 30g total)
4 medium cloves garlic, roughly chopped (3/4 ounce; about 20g)
1/3 cup palm sugar (about 3 ounces; 85g)
1/4 cup (60ml) fish sauce
2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds (680g) thin-cut pork chops, preferably blade end, with
plenty of fat and marbling

...served with medium rice sticks, Nuoc Cham sauce, slivered green
onions, cilantro and crushed peanuts on top.

graham

Jan 31, 2018, 2:51:34 PM1/31/18
On 2018-01-31 6:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
> Roasted potatoes
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon.  Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.

Fish pie that with a piped mashed potato topping I made after xmas and
froze. The sauce was leftover from making the seafood lasagne for xmas
night supper with my son's family and the fish was also leftover as I
bought too much.
Whenever I make a lasagne, I always make double the amount of sauce or
bechamel in the recipe as there is never enough. Therefore, I bought
double the amounts of sauce ingredients and the doubling was still in my
mind when I went to the fish counter:-)
Graham

penm...@aol.com

Jan 31, 2018, 3:01:10 PM1/31/18
Ophelia wrote:
>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
>> Roasted potatoes
>> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I added a few
>> chopped mushrooms too.
>>
>> You??
>
>New meal from leftovers.
>
>Pork roast and pappardelle with tomato sauce
>
>Had a pork roast so that is good for a few meals. Last week we made
>ravioli and with the leftover dough I'll roll it out for pappardelle and
>use the rest of the sauce.
>==
>I made ravioli a couple of weeks ago:) I've never made pappardelle. I
>think I might just do that, thanks. What kind of sauce will you make? Meat?

I can't be bothered making pappardelle... just makes a mess... besides
wide egg noodles are better. Or use eggroll wrappers. But I like egg
noodles a lot, I use more egg noodles than regular pasta.

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 3:02:09 PM1/31/18
Microwaved?!?!?!

Good grief.

Blanch, chill and quickly broil, please....

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 3:14:53 PM1/31/18
Well that sounds like a winner, but which /kind/ of fish will you use?

I'm guessing a nice white fish, or even bass...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2303636/family-meals-easy-fish-pie

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 3:15:52 PM1/31/18
Egg noodles are fantastic, sort of underrated these days too.

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 3:21:40 PM1/31/18

"Caída de la casa" wrote in message news:p4t6np$21i$3...@gioia.aioe.org...
==

Ooooh spicy :)) I bet you enjoyed it though:)

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 3:21:40 PM1/31/18

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news:tYocC.223650$%a1.1...@fx35.iad...
==

Thanks.

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 3:21:40 PM1/31/18

"graham" wrote in message news:p4t6o3$1fc$1...@dont-email.me...
==

I love fish pie:) Long time since I made any. I can see some in my near
future:))

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 3:30:57 PM1/31/18
Rather!

> I bet you enjoyed it though:)

I will when 6PM rolls around.

Last night was some lovely fresh sole from Costco dredged in rice flour,
onion powder, white pepper and seasoned salt and an egg wash then pan
fried to golden in Canola oil with a knob of butter.

Side of plain white rice with butter and paprika.

Lemon wedges to garnish and season.

Yeah!

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 3:34:24 PM1/31/18
On 1/31/2018 1:21 PM, Ophelia wrote:

I've only made it once - not as popular here as in the UK.

The rub is which white fish to use.

Inland we have bass, pike, whitefish, and I suppose one might choose
trout, though I'm not sure that flavor profile would be the best.

Ophelia

Jan 31, 2018, 4:01:40 PM1/31/18

"Caída de la casa" wrote in message news:p4t98b$7nq$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
==

For me it is always cod, but Graham might like something different:)

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 31, 2018, 4:14:23 PM1/31/18
You must live farther inland than we do in Michigan. We can get all
kinds of ocean fish. Frozen on the boat, of course. I'm getting to
where I'd rather buy frozen fish, so I know the conditions under which
it was handled.

Cindy Hamilton

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 5:00:14 PM1/31/18
Cod has great flaking meat and a fine full taste.

If we make fish cakes it must be Cod.

Graham has a similar inland locale, but with much colder water species.

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 5:11:42 PM1/31/18
That and maybe lower income levels.

> We can get all
> kinds of ocean fish. Frozen on the boat, of course. I'm getting to
> where I'd rather buy frozen fish, so I know the conditions under which
> it was handled.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

We get the usual supermarket frozen fare, but Costco rules here for
frozen and also for some really top end massive King Crab legs, whole
Salmon and Trout and of course their super sweet and fresh Sole.

I really wonder how much of their fresh stuff gets sold through.

I do not see all that much of it being checked out.

Julie Bove

Jan 31, 2018, 5:53:21 PM1/31/18

"Ophelia" <OphiEl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
> Roasted potatoes
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
>
> You??

Haven't fully decided but am leaning towards mac and cheese, asst. veggies
and ham steaks or maybe sausage.

graham

Jan 31, 2018, 6:55:23 PM1/31/18
In this case sole fillets. They were cheaper than farmed steelhead trout
and salmon.

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 7:01:07 PM1/31/18
...the sole survivor...

;-)

Terry Coombs

Jan 31, 2018, 8:27:23 PM1/31/18
  We went with the Perfect red . T'was quite awesome .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

jmcquown

Jan 31, 2018, 10:00:43 PM1/31/18
On 1/31/2018 12:07 PM, Gary wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>> I'm thinking pork loin steaks Parmesan(using some of my spaghetti sauce
>> from the freezer)with pasta, garlic bread , and a nice green salad . I
>> might open that bottle of Stone Hill Golden Spumante , or may have the
>> Curling Vine Perfect Red . Either would go well with this meal .
>
> Up front I'll say, "just teasing." (and I really am)
> IMO, drinking any wine with any meal will make it a good meal,
> depending on how much you drink (to cleanse the pallette. ehh)

Up front I'll say "just teasing" ;) This just goes to show what you
know about food and wine. Not all food can be made to taste good no
matter how much wine you drink. LOL

I am *not* saying there is anything wrong with what Terry said he'd be
cooking. I've made parmesan and tomato sauce dishes with all sorts of
things, from pork to veal to chicken. Tasty!

Jill

graham

Jan 31, 2018, 10:06:10 PM1/31/18
On 2018-01-31 8:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/31/2018 12:07 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm thinking pork loin steaks Parmesan(using some of my spaghetti sauce
>>> from the freezer)with pasta, garlic bread , and a nice green salad . I
>>> might open that bottle of Stone Hill Golden Spumante , or may have the
>>> Curling Vine Perfect Red . Either would go well with this meal .
>>
>> Up front I'll say, "just teasing." (and I really am)
>> IMO, drinking any wine with any meal will make it a good meal,
>> depending on how much you drink (to cleanse the pallette. ehh)
>>
> Up front I'll say "just teasing" ;)  This just goes to show what you
> know about food and wine.  Not all food can be made to taste good no
> matter how much wine you drink. LOL

Cider, that is hard cider to USians here, goes very well with curries
where wine would be wasted.

Caída de la casa

Jan 31, 2018, 10:30:49 PM1/31/18
Hard cider and curry, yes that feels very complimentary.

Cheri

Jan 31, 2018, 10:52:41 PM1/31/18

> On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 8:34:49 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
> Roasted potatoes
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.

We had baked salmon and we each had a jumbo artichoke with lemon garlic
butter. Also strawberries for dessert. Simple and good.

Cheri

Dave Smith

Jan 31, 2018, 11:02:29 PM1/31/18
I made Shepherd's pie, and it was terrific. It's comfort food from my
childhood and I didn't have it for decades, but we now have it once or
twice a month.

Cheri

Jan 31, 2018, 11:04:40 PM1/31/18
"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
I love Shepherd's pie but I don't make it often. I bet it was good.

Cheri

Ophelia

Feb 1, 2018, 4:10:37 AM2/1/18

"Caída de la casa" wrote in message news:p4te98$gon$1...@gioia.aioe.org...
==

Oh yes, cod for fish cakes too:))

Ophelia

Feb 1, 2018, 4:10:37 AM2/1/18

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:p4tqdl$8ik$1...@dont-email.me...
Snag

==
:))

jmcquown

Feb 1, 2018, 10:10:03 AM2/1/18
I don't know about hard cider, I've never actually tasted it. I
wouldn't be opposed to trying a sip. :)

I can't see wine going well with curries. I doubt wine would make the
taste of McDonald's hamburgers better, either. Hey Gary, I'm "just
teasing" ;)

Jill

Dave Smith

Feb 1, 2018, 10:20:17 AM2/1/18
Gewurztraminer often works well with spicy dishes. I usually have beer
with it.

Gary

Feb 1, 2018, 11:03:09 AM2/1/18
jmcquown wrote:

> I can't see wine going well with curries. I doubt wine would make the
> taste of McDonald's hamburgers better, either. Hey Gary, I'm "just
> teasing" ;)

No need to tease, Jill, what you said is true. McDonalds food is
stand alone good...no wine necessary. Wine or beer with McD's
would only ruin the meal.

Cheri

Feb 1, 2018, 11:38:31 AM2/1/18
"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I can't see wine going well with curries. I doubt wine would make the
> taste of McDonald's hamburgers better, either. Hey Gary, I'm "just
> teasing" ;)
>
> Jill

I doubt that anything could improve "perfection." :)

Cheri

Cheri

Feb 1, 2018, 11:39:22 AM2/1/18
"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5A733A0A...@att.net...
+1

Cheri

penm...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2018, 2:39:42 PM2/1/18
The wine that goes best with Indian cooking is Retsina.

penm...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2018, 2:44:26 PM2/1/18
Retsina is the wine loved by house painters, can also sub for
tupentine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retsina

Bryce

Feb 1, 2018, 2:57:48 PM2/1/18
On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 11:02:18 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

You really have the taste buds of a child.

Caída de la casa

Feb 1, 2018, 3:23:15 PM2/1/18
And you have the shitty attitude of a child.

penm...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2018, 4:01:30 PM2/1/18
On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 06:57:44 +1100, Bryce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
One can have TIAD at any age. Anytime I pulled Golden Arches duty
with the grands I'd be sure to bring my aerosol can of Febreeze... I'm
so glad the grands finally developed normal taste buds. Obviously
Gary still has the taste buds of a four year old. LOL

penm...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2018, 4:04:40 PM2/1/18
Caída casa FAGGOT wrote:

>Bryce wrote:
>>Gary wrote:

>>> No need to tease, Jill, what you said is true. McDonalds food is
>>> stand alone good...no wine necessary. Wine or beer with McD's
>>> would only ruin the meal.
>>
>> You really have the taste buds of a child.
>>

>And you have the shitty attitude of a child.

Shut your legs, Casa Faggot, your breath stinks!

Cheri

Feb 1, 2018, 4:36:14 PM2/1/18
<penm...@aol.com> wrote in message
And you and John, Bruce, Broce, Bryce, are very judgmental, exactly like
children.

Cheri

Bryce

Feb 1, 2018, 4:45:13 PM2/1/18
On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 13:35:21 -0800, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
That's a very judgmental comment, Cheri. Be nice to people.

Bryce

Feb 1, 2018, 4:47:06 PM2/1/18
On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 08:37:44 -0800, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:
The good thing about having wine with fast food is that at least
you're having wine.

penm...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2018, 5:16:39 PM2/1/18
On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 13:35:21 -0800, "Cheri" <che...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

What would you know, you don't/can't cook... to date no one here has
ever seen anything you have claimed to have cooked.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 1, 2018, 7:49:55 PM2/1/18

Broccoli, rice casserole and I threw in a cubed boneless chicken
breast for a bit of protein. Also, there are two pieces of left-
over cornbread from last night that I've reheated. Will wash it
all down with some sort of cola/soft drink/soda.

No Sheldon, before you go into a tirade and make a fool of your-
self, there are NO pictures.

dsi1

Feb 1, 2018, 7:59:30 PM2/1/18
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 3:34:49 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> Pork chops coated in crumbs with Italian seasoning.
> Roasted potatoes
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
>
> You??
>

> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I made some Spam musubi last night at around midnight. These are food modules that you can carry with you on your daily journeys and eat anytime and anywhere you want. It's pretty much the perfect on-the-go snack that you can make yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/5ip9ZyjR6chklv5j4ULJQvTuWVXDkHPJn2YbsmMu0N7

penm...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2018, 8:02:34 PM2/1/18
NO PICTURES = BS
Truth be told your dinner was fast food drive through... mystery meat
burgers and reheated frozen fries... quitcha lying!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 1, 2018, 8:08:40 PM2/1/18
Just because YOUR dinner was fast food drive through don't try to
make the rest of us eat the same fare. You just wish you were here
to have a heaping helping of my dinner. Tomorrow nights dinner will
be two leftover salmon patties, leftover boxed macaroni & cheese,
and leftover field peas and snaps. No, you can't have any of it either.
But I might make a small skillet of cornbread.

Caída de la casa

Feb 1, 2018, 10:17:23 PM2/1/18
Lol!

Your mudda wears army boots!

Caída de la casa

Feb 1, 2018, 10:18:15 PM2/1/18
This is how you maintain your healthy perspective on them, well done.

Ophelia

Feb 2, 2018, 4:02:13 AM2/2/18

"dsi1" wrote in message
==

I really ought to starting cooking stuff with spam. My husband loves it but
I never include it in cooked dishes.

I showed him that pic and he was very enthusiastic:) Does the rice not fall
apart when you take off the cling film?

I need a recipes please?

Caída de la casa

Feb 2, 2018, 11:39:09 AM2/2/18
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/$20W.$20Lohman

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/casa$20boner

My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me.

Caída de la casa

Feb 2, 2018, 11:39:58 AM2/2/18
That's yer upper lip that you smell, pussy Katz. LOL

Caída de la casa

Feb 2, 2018, 11:40:46 AM2/2/18
On 2/1/2018 4:35 PM, Cheri wrote:
> And you and John, Bruce, Broce, Bryce, are very judgmental, exactly like
> children.
>
> Cheri

Cheri

Feb 2, 2018, 11:44:49 AM2/2/18
In article <f8477dpneaga7nutk...@4ax.com>, penmart01
@aol.com says...
Your ass sucks canal water, little kike.

dsi1

Feb 2, 2018, 1:19:27 PM2/2/18
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 11:02:13 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I really ought to starting cooking stuff with spam. My husband loves it but
> I never include it in cooked dishes.
>
> I showed him that pic and he was very enthusiastic:) Does the rice not fall
> apart when you take off the cling film?
>
> I need a recipes please?

Mostly, it's a piece of fried Spam on rice. Over here, it's sometimes cooked in a teriyaki sauce. The strip of seaweed is optional. The Spam and seaweed was laid on the plastic wrap and a ball of hot rice is put on top of that. You have to use a short or med. grain rice for this. Long grain rice will just fall apart.

The whole thing is rolled up in the wrap and the two ends of the wrap are twisted to squeeze the whole thing into shape. You end up with a nicely shaped and wrapped Spam musubi that's ready to be eaten anywhere.

I didn't come up with this. I saw it being done at the Korean joint down at the mall.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/jxCbFYTPhU0fA34lM5k92oMedLbEDRStBST9Ysl5cpd

Ophelia

Feb 2, 2018, 1:53:31 PM2/2/18

"dsi1" wrote in message
==

Thanks:) I like the look of the seaweed and he does like that. I am
wondering where I could buy it. Would a Chinese shop sell it? I remember
going to one years ago in Glasgow.

I will give it a try without:) Thanks, again:))

Ophelia

Feb 2, 2018, 1:58:52 PM2/2/18

dsi1

Feb 2, 2018, 2:10:44 PM2/2/18
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 8:53:31 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Thanks:) I like the look of the seaweed and he does like that. I am
> wondering where I could buy it. Would a Chinese shop sell it? I remember
> going to one years ago in Glasgow.
>
> I will give it a try without:) Thanks, again:))

That's a good question. I didn't see a single sheet of nori when we were in the UK. I was looking for other things like fish and chips and a steering wheel on the drivers side of the car. After searching high and low I did finally find one.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/iagIfdWWCnD7Y65RUlSq4OhenlB1lZoK7hFK8g4enYg

Caída de la casa

Feb 2, 2018, 2:26:15 PM2/2/18
Wow does that ever beat a simple sammich for lunch!

Well done.

dsi1

Feb 2, 2018, 3:00:01 PM2/2/18
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 9:26:15 AM UTC-10, Caída de la casa wrote:

> Wow does that ever beat a simple sammich for lunch!
>
> Well done.

My wife really likes that Korean joint at the mall. They make their kim chee daily and it's like her mom used to make. As far as the Spam musubi goes, the kids on this rock really love that stuff. It's kinda unreal.

Ophelia

Feb 2, 2018, 3:21:41 PM2/2/18

Ophelia

Feb 2, 2018, 3:25:41 PM2/2/18

"dsi1" wrote in message
==

You found what? Fish and chips or the steering wheel??

<g> Did you enjoy our fish and chips?

Hank Rogers

Feb 2, 2018, 4:31:16 PM2/2/18
I like misubi, but haven't made it in a while. I used calrose rice as
it's the closest I can get to sticky short grain rice. Fried the spam
and added a little oyster sauce near the end. I have a neat little
misubi press (made of plexiglas) which works great over saran wrap, and
makes two at a time.

It's poor man's sushi, but I like it as well as some sushi I have had.

Hank Rogers

Feb 2, 2018, 4:33:05 PM2/2/18
Oh yeah ... for me the seaweed (nori) is NOT optional. Leaving it out
leaves out a lot of the taste!

dsi1

Feb 2, 2018, 4:50:53 PM2/2/18
Well there you go. Everything is in place to make one of these babies. For extra enjoyment, take a road trip to some secluded spot with no food places in sight. Break these out and enjoy. People have been doing this for hundreds of years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niG3xD5EKPA&t=2760

dsi1

Feb 2, 2018, 4:52:26 PM2/2/18
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 11:31:16 AM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> I like misubi, but haven't made it in a while. I used calrose rice as
> it's the closest I can get to sticky short grain rice. Fried the spam
> and added a little oyster sauce near the end. I have a neat little
> misubi press (made of plexiglas) which works great over saran wrap, and
> makes two at a time.
>
> It's poor man's sushi, but I like it as well as some sushi I have had.

You culinary skills and taste are most excellent!

dsi1

Feb 2, 2018, 4:55:40 PM2/2/18
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 11:33:05 AM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Oh yeah ... for me the seaweed (nori) is NOT optional. Leaving it out
> leaves out a lot of the taste!

It's probably better to take small baby steps in this matter. My guess is that most folks on the mainland don't care for nori. The combination of Spam and seaweed might cause them to combust spontaneously.

sanne

Feb 2, 2018, 5:06:21 PM2/2/18
Korean gimbap (their version of sushi rolls) often has spam in it.
We haven't combusted yet - neither there nor(i) here. ;-)

Bye, Sanne.

dsi1

Feb 2, 2018, 5:11:03 PM2/2/18
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 12:06:21 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:

> Korean gimbap (their version of sushi rolls) often has spam in it.
> We haven't combusted yet - neither there nor(i) here. ;-)
>
> Bye, Sanne.

Korean ain't regular people. I once told my wife that Koreans give Spam as presents. She told me that she knows. She used to help her mom pack Cans of Spam to send to their relatives in Korea. She also taught me about roasting nori over a fire with sesame oil and salt. This style of seaweed has gotten very popular in Hawaii over the last 20 years.

Bryce

Feb 2, 2018, 5:33:37 PM2/2/18
On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 14:11:00 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Hawaii, you live in Hawaii?

Caída de la casa

Feb 2, 2018, 7:49:06 PM2/2/18
It's a wonderful iodine rich flavor.

Sqwertz

Feb 3, 2018, 12:08:48 AM2/3/18

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/image/jpg/steve-wertz-presentation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw

sanne

Feb 3, 2018, 3:39:45 AM2/3/18
Am Freitag, 2. Februar 2018 23:11:03 UTC+1 schrieb dsi1:
> On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 12:06:21 PM UTC-10, sanne wrote:
> >
> > Korean gimbap (their version of sushi rolls) often has spam in it.
> > We haven't combusted yet - neither there nor(i) here. ;-)
> >
> > Bye, Sanne.
>
> Korean ain't regular people.

Do tell! ;-)

> I once told my wife that Koreans give Spam as presents. She told me
> that she knows. She used to help her mom pack Cans of Spam to send
> to their relatives in Korea.

That's a relic from the Korean war and afterwards when the American
soldiers introduced it to the Koreans. It was something special then
and is still nowadays.
"Budae Jigae" may be one of the first Fusion foods there; it uses spam, too.
And Ramyeon.

> She also taught me about roasting nori over a fire with sesame oil
> and salt. This style of seaweed has gotten very popular in Hawaii
> over the last 20 years.

It's a heavenly snack! Readily available, too - and a welcome present
from Koreans when they visit us.
You do know maangchi.com ? She's on youtube, too. Tell your wife that
nickname; she'll have a good laugh.

Bye, Sanne.

Ophelia

Feb 3, 2018, 3:54:01 AM2/3/18

"Hank Rogers" wrote in message news:p52le9$nmh$2...@gioia.aioe.org...
==

Thanks. I shall be buying some today. I have been looking on Google for a
'rice press' to put them together. In US they are very cheap but the first
ones I found here a 'very' expensive. I know I could use a sheet to roll
them up .. but ... :))

Ophelia

Feb 3, 2018, 3:57:32 AM2/3/18

"dsi1" wrote in message
==

D loves both although he hasn't had both together.

Ophelia

Feb 3, 2018, 3:57:32 AM2/3/18

"dsi1" wrote in message
==

Please go into more detail about 'roasting nori'?

sanne

Feb 3, 2018, 4:03:20 AM2/3/18
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gim-gui

There's a video, too.

Bye, Sanne.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 3, 2018, 6:33:39 AM2/3/18
I love nori. I occasionally buy a package of nori snacks, e.g.,
<https://www.amazon.com/Seas-Gift-Seaweed-Roasted-0-17-Ounce/dp/B000HVX6NK>

I can't stand spam, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Feb 3, 2018, 7:41:39 AM2/3/18

"sanne" wrote in message
==

Thanks, very much:)

Ophelia

Feb 3, 2018, 8:40:12 AM2/3/18

"dsi1" wrote in message
==

Ok, today I bought 3 packs of Nori (not as fat a pack as the one in the
vid), small grain (pudding) rice, and Terriyaki sauce!

I have also ordered this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EXZACT-EX-SM10-Sushi-maker-10pcs/dp/B0764HDWQG/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1517664983&sr=1-5&keywords=Rice+press

What do you think?

Boron Elgar

Feb 3, 2018, 9:00:28 AM2/3/18
They even carry Korean roasted versions at Costco. It is not hard to
find stateside.

Caída de la casa

Feb 3, 2018, 11:45:35 AM2/3/18
I'm not laughing at these:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/jokbal

:-)))))

YEAH.

Caída de la casa

Feb 3, 2018, 11:47:37 AM2/3/18
Well I think that is very cool and also a total bargain at 10 lbs.

You're in for some real foodly fun now.

Ophelia

Feb 3, 2018, 12:45:27 PM2/3/18

"Caída de la casa" wrote in message news:p54p34$1jr2$3...@gioia.aioe.org...
==

I can't wait:))

Caída de la casa

dsi1

Feb 3, 2018, 2:29:55 PM2/3/18
Koreans ain't regular people because they don't spontaneously burst into flames when a concoction of rice, Spam, and nori, is placed in front of them. They must have Hawaiian blood in them. I haven't seen anyone serving army stew on this rock. Not yet anyway. Maybe people over here think it might cause them to burst into flames.

http://www.thegardenisland.com/2016/05/24/hawaii-news/spam-musubi-lives-on/

dsi1

Feb 3, 2018, 2:38:16 PM2/3/18
On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 10:57:32 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Please go into more detail about 'roasting nori'?

Sanne's video link is a good intro. My wife's mom taught her to roast nori over an electric or gas range. That's the way I learned it. There's no way to do that with an induction range though. OTOH, it never occured to me to use a frying pan - now I know!

Ophelia

Feb 3, 2018, 2:42:16 PM2/3/18

"dsi1" wrote in message
==

Thanks, I did watch it:) btw the nori I just bought is already roasted:)

dsi1

Feb 3, 2018, 2:52:47 PM2/3/18
On Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 3:40:12 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Ok, today I bought 3 packs of Nori (not as fat a pack as the one in the
> vid), small grain (pudding) rice, and Terriyaki sauce!
>
> I have also ordered this:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/EXZACT-EX-SM10-Sushi-maker-10pcs/dp/B0764HDWQG/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1517664983&sr=1-5&keywords=Rice+press
>
> What do you think?

That sushi press is some pretty wild stuff. I've never seen anything like that. Looks like some fun. Good luck!
It is loading more messages.