Cooking Quinoa

mhor...@cox.net

Oct 25, 2014, 2:59:12 PM10/25/14
I would dearly like to incorporate quinoa into my diet. I've tried it
cooked in stock and with a sauted onion but it still tastes like
quinoa. I'd like to use it as a side dish to something like roasted
chicken. Any suggestions are appreciated - Mike

sockmo...@comcast.net

Oct 25, 2014, 3:08:07 PM10/25/14
Cook in chicken stock, then add finely chopped red onion, dried cranberries and pecans.

Denise in NH

sf

Oct 25, 2014, 3:47:06 PM10/25/14
Mike, why stress over it when you obviously don't like quinoa? No
recipe is going to change the flavor enough for you unless it's
entirely blotted out.... and what's point is there for that? Unless
you're getting it free somewhere, it's too expensive to be cooking
something you dislike. Think of all the money you've wasted already.
Switch to something you like better, like couscous or potatoes.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

ImStillMags

Oct 25, 2014, 4:30:44 PM10/25/14
Mike, here is a wonderful side dish made with quinoa. I hope you are not one of those people who can't take cilantro, if you are, then nevermind. You could substitute parsley but it wouldn't be the same. If you try it let me know how you liked it.

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/recipes/vegetables/126-quinoa-corn-and-cilantro

Doris Night

Oct 25, 2014, 7:06:35 PM10/25/14
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:59:08 -0400, mhor...@cox.net wrote:

I make a quinoa salad with yellow peppers, red onions, halved cherry
tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, scallions, basil, chickpeas, and feta
cheese. Dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It goes with
anything and the leftovers keep very well.

I just cook the quinoa in water - there's enough other stuff in the
salad that you don't need to flavour it with stock.

Doris

Kalmia

Oct 25, 2014, 7:39:56 PM10/25/14
I've been using it with steel cut oats, some dried fruit ....makes a good b'fast.

Nancy2

Oct 25, 2014, 8:01:38 PM10/25/14

I can't get past the fact that from what I remember from being a youngster on a farm and raising
chickens, the way quinoa smells is just like how chicken feed smells. I cooked it once, and that
was enough to totally turn me off it forever.

N.

Doris Night

Oct 25, 2014, 8:24:27 PM10/25/14
That reminds me - I always cook extra quinoa, and save it to use in
pancakes. No specific recipe - just throw it in some pancake batter
and cook as usual. Gives the pancakes a slight crunch.

Doris

Dave Smith

Oct 25, 2014, 8:41:47 PM10/25/14
>LOL That is how I used to feel about the green bean casserole that is
the trademark side dish for an American Thanksgiving. It always reminds
me of a trip to my mother's uncle's farm and helping him slop the pigs.

Jeßus

Oct 25, 2014, 9:11:34 PM10/25/14
I went through my quinoa phase several years ago. Eventually came to
the conclusion it wasn't worth continuing with, I didn't exactly hate
it but never exactly loved it either.

Janet Wilder

Oct 25, 2014, 10:29:49 PM10/25/14
Have you tried red quinoa? I think it tastes better than the regular stuff.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

sf

Oct 25, 2014, 10:43:03 PM10/25/14
On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:29:37 -0500, Janet Wilder <not...@notreal.com>
wrote:

> On 10/25/2014 1:59 PM, mhor...@cox.net wrote:
> > I would dearly like to incorporate quinoa into my diet. I've tried it
> > cooked in stock and with a sauted onion but it still tastes like
> > quinoa. I'd like to use it as a side dish to something like roasted
> > chicken. Any suggestions are appreciated - Mike
> >

> Have you tried red quinoa? I think it tastes better than the regular stuff.

I partial to the two color mix. The darker one doesn't look red to
me, but maybe it is.

Janet Wilder

Oct 26, 2014, 12:19:50 PM10/26/14
On 10/25/2014 9:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:29:37 -0500, Janet Wilder <not...@notreal.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/25/2014 1:59 PM, mhor...@cox.net wrote:
>>> I would dearly like to incorporate quinoa into my diet. I've tried it
>>> cooked in stock and with a sauted onion but it still tastes like
>>> quinoa. I'd like to use it as a side dish to something like roasted
>>> chicken. Any suggestions are appreciated - Mike
>>>

>> Have you tried red quinoa? I think it tastes better than the regular stuff.
>
> I partial to the two color mix. The darker one doesn't look red to
> me, but maybe it is.

The box says "red"

sf

Oct 26, 2014, 12:23:11 PM10/26/14

sf

Oct 26, 2014, 12:25:24 PM10/26/14
wrote:

> On 10/25/2014 9:42 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:29:37 -0500, Janet Wilder <not...@notreal.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Have you tried red quinoa? I think it tastes better than the regular stuff.
> >
> > I partial to the two color mix. The darker one doesn't look red to
> > me, but maybe it is.
> >

> The box says "red"

I'll believe you. I buy mine bulk, not sure at this point how they
label it - but I do know their all red quinoa is a much more definite
red than the red that's in the mix.

jmcquown

Oct 26, 2014, 8:11:23 PM10/26/14
I don't understand eating things one doesn't like simply because it's
considerd "healthy". By whose standards?

Jill

Pico Rico

Oct 26, 2014, 9:45:11 PM10/26/14

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
and stop contributing to the negative impacts of the lands from where it
comes.

Julie Bove

Oct 26, 2014, 11:40:46 PM10/26/14

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
That's why we had to eat liver when I was a kid. My mom thought it was
healthy. But as adults, we can make choices. I don't care how healthy
anyone says that broccoli is. It tastes horrid to me and I won't eat it.
There are plenty of other vegetables out there.

sf

Oct 27, 2014, 1:22:00 AM10/27/14
On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:11:19 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 10/25/2014 3:47 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:59:08 -0400, mhor...@cox.net wrote:
> >
> >> I would dearly like to incorporate quinoa into my diet. I've tried it
> >> cooked in stock and with a sauted onion but it still tastes like
> >> quinoa. I'd like to use it as a side dish to something like roasted
> >> chicken. Any suggestions are appreciated - Mike
> >
> > Mike, why stress over it when you obviously don't like quinoa? No
> > recipe is going to change the flavor enough for you unless it's
> > entirely blotted out.... and what point is there for that? Unless
> > you're getting it free somewhere, it's too expensive to be cooking
> > something you dislike. Think of all the money you've wasted already.
> > Switch to something you like better, like couscous or potatoes.
> >
> I don't understand eating things one doesn't like simply because it's
> considerd "healthy". By whose standards?

Quinoa is considered a super food, but I'm stymied about why an
independent adult is trying to make himself like it after what I
consider a couple of very good tries.

sf

Oct 27, 2014, 1:25:45 AM10/27/14
How did you get the idea that our consumption of quinoa is making a
negative impact? Farmers have more money, so they can afford the
higher price and city people don't eat quinoa, so the rise in price
doesn't affect them.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/16/202737139/is-our-love-of-quinoa-hurting-or-helping-farmers-who-grow-it
Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

Oct 27, 2014, 3:50:44 AM10/27/14

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
It is purported to be very good for blood sugar. It wasn't for me which is
sad because I actually did like it. I could understand if there was some
real medical reason for it. Such as being deficient in some vitamin or
mineral and preferring to get it from a food rather than a pill but I doubt
that's the case here.

Julie Bove

Oct 27, 2014, 3:51:20 AM10/27/14

"JohnJohn" <Jo...@John.invalid> wrote in message
> Because, as you said, it's a super food, real or perceived.

It's high in protein so good for vegetarians and vegans.

Message has been deleted

Pico Rico

Oct 27, 2014, 8:46:45 AM10/27/14

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
read further, not just a puff piece put out by the quinoa marketing board.

The Dirt on Quinoa
The problem, it turns out, is not really dietary but environmental. Kerssen
notes that the potential desertification of the growing region should also
be factored into consideration. She believes turning this sacred seed from a
subsistence crop into a prized commodity is leading the poorest, most
vulnerable farmers to work the soil year-round, degrading the very land they
depend on for survival and cultural identity. Among the Andean ecological
disruptions keeping Kerssen awake at night are the effects of mechanized
soil tilling, one of the hallmarks of industrialized agriculture. "When you
combine that with global warming and higher temperatures in that region, you've
got the perfect recipe for greater incidence of pests," she says. In a
region where pesticides are practically unheard of-bugs are rare above
12,000 feet-insects are beginning to appear, leading some farmers to use
insecticides and other agrochemicals to maintain production. And of course,
once farmers begin using pesticides, they eliminate not only the bugs they
are targeting but also the helpful critters. As a result, one of quinoa's
fundamental appeals-its organic status-could be compromised.

Exacerbating the environmental dilemma is that the llamas who once grazed
and fertilized traditional farms-and helped prevent erosion with their
large, padded feet-are being moved off the land to make way for more quinoa
crops. Sven-Erik Jacobsen, associate professor of plant and environmental
sciences at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, believes.

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=6345&catId=5

jmcquown

Oct 27, 2014, 8:59:43 AM10/27/14
I agree with you. "Super food" or not, if you don't like it, don't
force yourself to eat it. There is plenty of other "good for you" food
out there.

Jill

sf

Oct 27, 2014, 1:22:07 PM10/27/14
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 05:42:29 -0700, "Pico Rico"
Let's stop global deforestation first, then I can begin to get upset
about the loss of lama grazing lands.

sf

Oct 27, 2014, 1:23:11 PM10/27/14
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:34:50 +1100, JohnJohn <Jo...@John.invalid>
wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:21:51 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> Because, as you said, it's a super food, real or perceived.

Eat a balanced diet and you won't need to eat a superfood.

sf

Oct 27, 2014, 1:24:29 PM10/27/14
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 18:58:42 +1100, JohnJohn <Jo...@John.invalid>
wrote:
> There you go.

Back to balanced diets. He's a fool if he's a strict vegan or
vegetarian.

sf

Oct 27, 2014, 1:25:34 PM10/27/14
On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 00:49:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:11:19 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> > wrote:

> >> I don't understand eating things one doesn't like simply because it's
> >> considerd "healthy". By whose standards?
> >>
> > Quinoa is considered a super food, but I'm stymied about why an
> > independent adult is trying to make himself like it after what I
> > consider a couple of very good tries.
>
> It is purported to be very good for blood sugar.

That's all well and good, but there's plenty more out there to eat.

> It wasn't for me which is
> sad because I actually did like it. I could understand if there was some
> real medical reason for it. Such as being deficient in some vitamin or
> mineral and preferring to get it from a food rather than a pill but I doubt
> that's the case here.

Message has been deleted

Pico Rico

Oct 28, 2014, 12:26:36 AM10/28/14

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
Actually, I was laughing at a guy that wants to choke down food that he
doesn't like because it is good for him, when there must be plenty of other
good foods that he likes. So, I offered up an "out" for him to stop eating
what he doesn't like based on the usual claptrap from the "nothing mankind
does can possibly not be terribly bad crowd".

Oregonian Haruspex

Oct 28, 2014, 5:47:18 PM10/28/14
On 2014-10-25 18:59:08 +0000, mhor...@cox.net said:

> I would dearly like to incorporate quinoa into my diet. I've tried it
> cooked in stock and with a sauted onion but it still tastes like
> quinoa. I'd like to use it as a side dish to something like roasted
> chicken. Any suggestions are appreciated - Mike

You have to toast it in a dry pan before you add your liquid.
Untoasted quinoa is a pale shadow of toasted, gastronomically speaking.