Hot weather foods

Julie Bove

Jul 1, 2015, 11:14:38 PM7/1/15
Please note that I am not trolling and I don't want to argue about this. I
am just wondering what others eat when it is hot. No, we don't BBQ and I'm
not even sure that is allowed here now given the burn ban. Not that we own
a BBQ. We don't.

Husband seems okay with eating hot foods and I have sometimes been craving
chicken soup before bed but mostly we are eating cold stuff. Smoothies,
salads, raw fruits and vegetables, various bean dips, cheese. I did buy
some salami today and some pinwheels. Yes, I know that I could make
pinwheels but it's just easier to buy them. I also bought a couple of
sandwiches, only because I don't like buying bread or buns for those unless
my husband is working several days in a row and will be needing lunch for
work. Otherwise the bread just goes bad.

I thought about gazpacho but I don't think either husband or daughter would
try it as they hate raw tomatoes. I did try it once many years ago and
hated it but to be fair it was the Campbell's brand of canned soup. Surely
the real stuff would be better? I know there are beet soups too but I am
the only beet lover here.

I am running out of ideas. Deviled eggs are a no go. Nobody here really
likes those, or egg salad. I do make a chicken, apple and pecan salad that
my husband and I like but Angela won't touch that. Cold fried chicken is a
no go too.

I did cook some pork chops tonight. I was going to serve those with
pierogies but Angela only wanted cold food and I had a leftover twice baked
potato so I gave that to husband with the chops.

I will be making burgers on the 4th, only because nobody could tell me what
they wanted to eat. Also baked beans (purchased), raw veggies and cold
salads and fruit.

We just have no end in sight for this heat wave. And the types of food that
I remember eating in Wichita are not foods my family would eat. I remember
my mom making cucumber slices in vinegar water, lots of tomato salads, cold
fried chicken, Jell-O salad and tons of other kinds of veggies served raw
and plain. They will eat those but we need some sort of protein. I'm
fixing to have the last of my Mexican rice with some purchased cold bean dip
and raw veggies.

I did put a fan in the kitchen and that helps somewhat but it is just too
unbearable to even think about cooking. And no, the swamp cooler won't help
because for whatever reason, it wouldn't wet the pad when I took it out of
storage. I have since ordered another kind but not sure when it will
arrive.

Doris Night

Jul 2, 2015, 12:04:29 AM7/2/15
On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 20:14:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

>Please note that I am not trolling and I don't want to argue about this. I
>am just wondering what others eat when it is hot. No, we don't BBQ and I'm
>not even sure that is allowed here now given the burn ban. Not that we own
>a BBQ. We don't.

I pretty much make the same stuff as always. Roast chicken, ribs, lamb
chops, salmon, and meatloaf were on the menu this past week.

I know you don't like to heat up your house, but we don't worry too
much about that because we spend most of the day outside. We'll go for
a walk for about an hour early in the afternoon, then maybe putz
around in the garden for a bit. And we usually have a couple of drinks
on the deck while dinner is cooking.

When we go to bed, there's a small air conditioner in the bedroom, so
it's nice and cool in there.

All in all, no problems at all.

Doris

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 12:43:06 AM7/2/15

"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Oh wow. We try not to go outside. We hate being outdoors. Well, not so
much my husband because he likes sports. Our deck is pretty much unusable.
It's like an oven. The house is finally down to 86. Doesn't seem so bad.
I may be getting used to the heat. But most of the stuff that is on your
list of foods is not stuff we ever eat anyway. I have never had ribs and I
don't think my daughter has either. They just look so messy and fatty and
greasy.

Roy

Jul 2, 2015, 1:14:13 AM7/2/15
Never had ribs...ahahahahahahaqhahaha.
Now I've heard everything.
======

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:42:15 AM7/2/15

"Roy" <wil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Why? My parents would never eat them so they were never served in our
house. I have been to restaurants that had them but they just do not look
appealing to me in any way, shape or form. I'm not a big meat eater either.
There are a lot of foods I've never eaten and most are in the protein
category.

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 6:44:09 AM7/2/15
More telling: "We try not to go outside." Heaven knows what goes on
beyond that door! It's like an episode from the Twilight Zone. The
Monsters are Due on Maple Street. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inhUS0-SMu0

It's entirely possible she has never had ribs. However, ribs don't have
to be messy. I prefer a dry rub or to marinate then grill them rather
than use a mop or serve them with dripping with sauce. There are as
many methods as there are seasonings. Oh, and there are these things
called napkins...

Properly cooked ribs are no more greasy or fatty than ground beef. Of
course no one should "BBQ" anything (according to her) because of the
carcinogens. It's so much better to drink that 12 or 18 pack of diet
Coke. That's bound to be good for all that ails everyone!

It's amazing. If I lived where she lives I'd have broken down and
bought an air conditioner, at least for the bedroom. She'll likely come
back and say it's never been hot there before. Yet a couple of years
ago it *was* hot which is why she bought the "swamp cooler"... which now
does not work. <sigh>

Jill

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 7:10:43 AM7/2/15
On 7/2/2015 4:41 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Roy" <wil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Oh wow. We try not to go outside. We hate being outdoors. Well,
>>> not so
>>> much my husband because he likes sports. Our deck is pretty much
>>> unusable.
>>> It's like an oven. The house is finally down to 86. Doesn't seem so
>>> bad.
>>> I may be getting used to the heat. But most of the stuff that is on
>>> your
>>> list of foods is not stuff we ever eat anyway. I have never had ribs
>>> and I
>>> don't think my daughter has either. They just look so messy and
>>> fatty and
>>> greasy.
>>
>> Never had ribs...ahahahahahahaqhahaha.
>> Now I've heard everything.
>> ======
>
> Why? My parents would never eat them so they were never served in our
> house.

So what? My mother never made chicken piccata. That didn't stop me
from trying it. My mother made crappy meatloaf. I improved upon it.
You claim to love to cook yet are so narrow-minded about what you
will/won't/don't/can't.

> I have been to restaurants that had them but they just do not
> look appealing to me in any way, shape or form. I'm not a big meat
> eater either. There are a lot of foods I've never eaten and most are in
> the protein category.

Proteins are essential to health. But of course you're probably
"intolerant".

Please don't spout off about gastroparesis.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gastroparesis/basics/treatment/con-20023971

Cut out the soda. Raw fruits and vegetables? Harder to digest. Maybe
you should actually read about your condition and talk to your doctor.

http://www.medicinenet.com/gastroparesis/page4.htm

"Patients with gastroparesis should have most food early in the day,
especially the solid food; they should not lie down for 4-5 hours after
their last meal, since when lying, the assistance of gravity on gastric
emptying is lost."

Well damn. Time to get up and walk around. Maybe outside. Oh, I
forgot. You don't go outside. "Outside Bad. Inside Good." I'm glad
you enjoy living in a cave.

Jill

Nancy Young

Jul 2, 2015, 8:28:34 AM7/2/15
On 7/2/2015 7:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> So what? My mother never made chicken piccata. That didn't stop me
> from trying it.

I'd be here all day if I had to list all the foods I have
eaten that my parents never ate. Ribs would be on that list.
So would yogurt, artichokes, avocados, crab cakes blah blah.

Imagine? What an excuse.

nancy

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 2, 2015, 8:40:14 AM7/2/15
On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:14:38 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> Please note that I am not trolling and I don't want to argue about this. I
> am just wondering what others eat when it is hot.

I like this:

<http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/614189578/cucumber-carrot-and-cellophane-noodle-salad/?locale=en_US>

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Jul 2, 2015, 10:05:29 AM7/2/15
jmcquown wrote:

> Well damn. Time to get up and walk around. Maybe outside. Oh, I
> forgot. You don't go outside. "Outside Bad. Inside Good." I'm glad
> you enjoy living in a cave.

There are no caves in Bothell. :'D

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 10:57:25 AM7/2/15
Actually, there are caves quite near there. :)

Jill

Acme Bully Control

Jul 2, 2015, 11:19:14 AM7/2/15
On 7/2/2015 4:44 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> More telling: "We try not to go outside." Heaven knows what goes on
> beyond that door! It's like an episode from the Twilight Zone. The
> Monsters are Due on Maple Street. :)

"Last of the Independents"

"Reliable bully control 24/7"

Call 1-666-GO2-HELL"

,--.--._
------" _, \___)
|| / _/____) BAM!
|| \//(____)
------\ (__)
`-----"

Find someone else to pick on, you fobbing, dizzy-eyed, old boar-pig.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 2, 2015, 11:19:50 AM7/2/15
On 7/2/2015 5:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> "Outside Bad. Inside Good." I'm glad you enjoy living in a cave.
>
> Jill

"Last of the Independents"

"Reliable bully control 24/7"

Call 1-666-GO2-HELL"

,--.--._
------" _, \___)
|| / _/____) BAM!
|| \//(____)
------\ (__)
`-----"

Find someone else to pick on, you spleeny, swag-bellied, mumble-news.

rosie

Jul 2, 2015, 11:26:25 AM7/2/15
It can be difficult to find foods that taste good when it is so blasted hot. I know you all have been having a hotter summer than usual and less rain, so you are doubly miserable.

Always hot here, so I do not make a big adjustment for the hat.A good thing to have is club sandwiches, Sometimes I will buy a turkey breast cook it ( maybe in the evening ) and slice it for sandwiches. Also breakfast n the evening is good, if you like waffles and pancakes. maybe shrimp salad? I am not sure about what you all like, sorry for so few suggestions but I am hot too !!!

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 11:27:59 AM7/2/15
If I didn't cook anything my mother never did I would never have eaten
much more than exceedingly dull meatloaf, frozen meat entrees ("in
gravy"), boxed mashed potatoes and canned vegetables. It's a good thing
I'm more interested in food than that!

Speaking of avocados... Mom loved them but I never tasted one until I
was perhaps in my 30's. Point is, I did eventually give 'em try. Oooh,
tastes good! I don't go out of my way to buy them but I will if the
price is right. Call me when they're two for a dollar. ;)

Jill

notbob

Jul 2, 2015, 12:00:16 PM7/2/15
On 2015-07-02, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Call me when they're two for a dollar. ;)

Apparently, you don't want anyone to call you. ;)

nb

Janet

Jul 2, 2015, 12:40:48 PM7/2/15
In article <mn2a87$9ol$1...@dont-email.me>, juli...@frontier.com says...

> Please note that I am not trolling and I don't want to argue about this. I
> am just wondering what others eat when it is hot.

I know you are probably allergic to fish and your family wouldn't eat
it, but cold fish (salmon, trout) is great in hot weather and only
takes minutes to cook. Or you could buy smoked salmon/trout/mackerel and
not have to cook at all. Serve with salad, tomatoes, canned french beans
for an effortless meal.

Janet UK

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 1:05:49 PM7/2/15
LOL!

Jill

rosie

Jul 2, 2015, 2:03:10 PM7/2/15
Jill, when we lived in Panama, we had a big avocado tree in our front yard. Every year we had hundreds of those luscious babies to eat . One of my favorites was a crab meat ,avocado and bacon sandwich on rye toast. YUM

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 2:13:31 PM7/2/15
Sounds tasty! I'll bet I could get an avocado tree to grow here. If I
felt like planting one. ;)

Jill

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:45:45 PM7/2/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
If you lived in this house I don't think you would have bought AC. Would
not work well at all in my bedroom window because it is very wide and up
high. I have looked around the neighborhood. I see a window unit in only
one house. That is the house where I gave my old window unit to years ago
because it has one window by the front door where the unit would actually
fit. I don't think that is my old unit though. Pretty sure those people
sold it as I never saw it being used.

I see one house with all windows closed and I am assuming that they have the
whole house type. Although I have been in that house it was many years ago
so I don't know if there is a furnace or not.

I bought the swamp cooler last year. Not a couple of years ago. IIRC, a
couple of years ago it was so cool that I had the heat on in June. We had
no summer to speak of. Also IIRC, last year we had the hot weather later in
the year. Like Sept.

The weather we are having now is not typical at all and we are breaking
records right and left. I do have another swamp cooler coming and it is
small. Storage is an issue here and those portable units are just as big as
the old swamp cooler. It was in the way all year long and I don't want to
have to dance around another unit just to get the groceries into the house.
Hopefully this one will be easier to store. I just don't know when it will
arrive but it has been shipped.

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:50:26 PM7/2/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Dur, Jill. How in the world did you go from what I said to that? I do eat
protein. What I said was that there are a lot of proteins out there that I
have never eaten. Such as oxtail, lamb, chicken thighs, kidneys, most
seafood... I am just not interested.

> Cut out the soda. Raw fruits and vegetables? Harder to digest. Maybe
> you should actually read about your condition and talk to your doctor.
>
> http://www.medicinenet.com/gastroparesis/page4.htm

I am not stupid Jill. I do have a gastroenterologist and I will be seeing
him again on the 8th. My gastroparesis is not acting up at the moment
because I am eating the proper diet. And the soda is just fine. So are the
vegetables that I do eat. I do not eat things like broccoli. Broccoli is
the hardest vegetable to digest. Oh gee Jill! Did you forget that I once
told *you* that?

> "Patients with gastroparesis should have most food early in the day,
> especially the solid food; they should not lie down for 4-5 hours after
> their last meal, since when lying, the assistance of gravity on gastric
> emptying is lost."

Well that is not information I was ever given. I will work with my Dr. and
not some link that you put up.

> Well damn. Time to get up and walk around. Maybe outside. Oh, I forgot.
> You don't go outside. "Outside Bad. Inside Good." I'm glad you enjoy
> living in a cave.

Walk around? Oh aren't you just sweet! Telling a disabled person who can
barely walk to go outside and walk around. No thanks. And my house is not
a cave.

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:51:56 PM7/2/15

"Nancy Young" <rjynlyo...@verizon.net> wrote in message
Well maybe you wanted to eat them! I spent a huge chunk of my life as a
vegetarian. I would be one now if it were not for the dairy and egg
intolerances. I just don't like meat. I do eat some. Ribs just do not
appeal. I don't even like to watch people eating the messy things.

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:53:03 PM7/2/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
This is just getting silly! My mom loves a lot of things that I don't.
Avocados being one. I love onions and she doesn't. I could go on and on.
I won't.

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:54:31 PM7/2/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:55954555...@att.net...
No but apparently there is something somewhere around here called an ice
cave. Everyone keeps putting pics of it on Facebook. I don't know where it
is though.

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:54:51 PM7/2/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Where?

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:55:43 PM7/2/15

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Thanks.

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:56:35 PM7/2/15

"rosie" <RMi10...@aol.com> wrote in message
---

Thanks!

Julie Bove

Jul 2, 2015, 4:57:33 PM7/2/15

"Janet" <nob...@home.org> wrote in message
What are French beans? And fish is out because of the gout.

cshenk

Jul 2, 2015, 5:03:37 PM7/2/15
Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:
LOL, me too.

I had experienced in the veggie kingdom: Lettuce (iceberg only), peas,
green beans, carrots, potatoes, corn and onions (onions used sparsely).
There were no other veggies.

Fruits were limited to bananas, apples, oranges, tangarines, and the
wild foray to occasional canned pinnapple, peach, or a grape. (I think
I had grapes 3 times before i moved out).

Meat was beef, chicken, pork chops and rarely ham, whatever, it was
over cooked. Remember the old rule about chew your food at least
20times? You didnt have a choice with Mom's cooking. It was more like
40 times chew then try to struggle it down.

Lovely woman, just not a cook.

I learned best as I could on my own later.
Carol

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 5:09:33 PM7/2/15
Look it up yourself. Won't matter, you don't like to leave the house.

Jill

sf

Jul 2, 2015, 5:10:44 PM7/2/15
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 11:27:53 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Speaking of avocados... Mom loved them but I never tasted one until I
> was perhaps in my 30's. Point is, I did eventually give 'em try. Oooh,
> tastes good! I don't go out of my way to buy them but I will if the
> price is right. Call me when they're two for a dollar. ;)

Those days are long gone. Costco sells them 6 for $6 and that's as
good as it gets anymore.

--

sf

sf

Jul 2, 2015, 5:11:55 PM7/2/15
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 14:13:25 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Sounds tasty! I'll bet I could get an avocado tree to grow here. If I
> felt like planting one. ;)

Check first to see if it needs a partner for x-pollination.

--

sf

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 5:14:54 PM7/2/15
On 7/2/2015 4:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On 7/2/2015 4:41 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "Roy" <wil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dur, Jill. How in the world did you go from what I said to that? I do
> eat protein. What I said was that there are a lot of proteins out there
> that I have never eaten. Such as oxtail, lamb, chicken thighs, kidneys,
> most seafood... I am just not interested.

IOW, you're not interested in food. I have no idea why you're even here.

>> Cut out the soda. Raw fruits and vegetables? Harder to digest.
>> Maybe you should actually read about your condition and talk to your
>> doctor.
>>
>> http://www.medicinenet.com/gastroparesis/page4.htm
>
> I am not stupid Jill. I do have a gastroenterologist and I will be
> seeing him again on the 8th. My gastroparesis is not acting up at the
> moment because I am eating the proper diet. And the soda is just fine.
> So are the vegetables that I do eat. I do not eat things like
> broccoli. Broccoli is the hardest vegetable to digest. Oh gee Jill!
> Did you forget that I once told *you* that?

Yeah, you told me that. The thing is, I don't have a problem digesting
broccoli. Or any other food for that matter. You tried to "educate me"
when I mentioned Crohn's Disease. Sorry, but my system is not backed up
like yours appears to be. You want to keep eating stuff that causes
problems, fine. Do try not to bitch about it every week.

Jill
Message has been deleted

Doris Night

Jul 2, 2015, 6:55:07 PM7/2/15
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 16:03:34 -0500, "cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote:

>I had experienced in the veggie kingdom: Lettuce (iceberg only), peas,
>green beans, carrots, potatoes, corn and onions (onions used sparsely).
>There were no other veggies.
>
>Fruits were limited to bananas, apples, oranges, tangarines, and the
>wild foray to occasional canned pinnapple, peach, or a grape. (I think
>I had grapes 3 times before i moved out).
>
>Meat was beef, chicken, pork chops and rarely ham, whatever, it was
>over cooked. Remember the old rule about chew your food at least
>20times? You didnt have a choice with Mom's cooking. It was more like
>40 times chew then try to struggle it down.

You just described my childhood. Except I don't think we got any
pineapple.

Your veggies were all canned, no?

Doris

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 6:57:02 PM7/2/15
On 7/2/2015 6:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 17:14:45 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/2015 4:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Dur, Jill. How in the world did you go from what I said to that? I do
>>> eat protein. What I said was that there are a lot of proteins out there
>>> that I have never eaten. Such as oxtail, lamb, chicken thighs, kidneys,
>>> most seafood... I am just not interested.
>>
>> IOW, you're not interested in food. I have no idea why you're even here.
>
> How do you live in America for 50+ years and never have a chicken
> thigh (or "most seafood")?
>
> I really shouldn't be at all surprised <sigh>. That' what I get for
> reading a Julie-post.
>
> -sw

I don't expect everyone to eat oxtails or kidneys. Or even lamb. But
really, chicken thighs? OMG. I guess it's better if it comes from a can.

Jill

jmcquown

Jul 2, 2015, 7:00:38 PM7/2/15
Publix has them 10 for $10 but you don't have to buy ten of them. :)

Jill

cshenk

Jul 2, 2015, 8:07:24 PM7/2/15
Doris Night wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Pretty much. Some veggies were frozen in those square blocks. Oh I
left out a veggie. Mom got spinach sometimes. We LOVED it.

When I was 16 and working at McDonalds, I took a trip with 1/2 of my
first paycheck, to a local grocery store. (Simple, older kids helped
out but kept 1/2 for college tuition). It wasn't but 20$ but Mom had
ingrained a sense of value for the return. I met the goal of 2 weeks
food for us 3 sans the meat portion.

Husbanding my 20$ with a different cost then, I was able to get a bag
of potatoes, 14 boxes of frozen veggies, a bag of oranges, 2 loaves of
cheap bread, some canned peaches and a box of saltines. Advent to the
familiy, broccoli!

Carol

Acme Bully Control

Jul 2, 2015, 9:09:20 PM7/2/15
Oh bugger off, you cheap skanky bully.

"Last of the Independents"

"Reliable bully control 24/7"

Call 1-666-GO2-HELL"

,--.--._
------" _, \___)__
|| / _/____) BAM!
|| \//(____)
------\ (__)
`-----"

Troll Disposal Service

Jul 2, 2015, 9:11:22 PM7/2/15
On 7/2/2015 4:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> How do you live in America for 50+ years and never have a chicken
> thigh (or "most seafood")?
NO ONE CARES!

...dump!

____.-.____
[__Sqwerty__]
[___Marty___]
(d|||TROLL|||b)
`|||TRASH|||`
`"""""""""'
\\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

Nancy Young

Jul 2, 2015, 9:58:00 PM7/2/15
On 7/2/2015 5:03 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> I'd be here all day if I had to list all the foods I have
>> eaten that my parents never ate. Ribs would be on that list.
>> So would yogurt, artichokes, avocados, crab cakes blah blah.

> LOL, me too.
>
> I had experienced in the veggie kingdom: Lettuce (iceberg only), peas,
> green beans, carrots, potatoes, corn and onions (onions used sparsely).
> There were no other veggies.

Canned? We had succotash, too. Black eyed peas once in a while.
It was my job to line up the cans by vegetable when we got home
from the commissary.

> Fruits were limited to bananas, apples, oranges, tangarines, and the
> wild foray to occasional canned pinnapple, peach, or a grape. (I think
> I had grapes 3 times before i moved out).

My mother was big on apples. I really don't remember fruits
that much. No bananas.

> Meat was beef, chicken, pork chops and rarely ham, whatever, it was
> over cooked. Remember the old rule about chew your food at least
> 20times? You didnt have a choice with Mom's cooking.

(laughing) We ate a lot of fried rice (she was really my stepmother,
and she was Japanese). Pork chops, meat loaf, macaroni and cheese.
She did pretty well. She got all her pointers from women's magazines.

> It was more like
> 40 times chew then try to struggle it down.

Too funny.

> Lovely woman, just not a cook.
>
> I learned best as I could on my own later.

Ditto. I didn't learn to cook at home, so I had to figure
things out when I struck out on my own.

nancy

DreadfulBitch

Jul 2, 2015, 10:23:16 PM7/2/15
On 7/1/2015 10:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am just wondering what others eat when it is hot.

My hot weather go to is the same as my mom's when I was growing up.
Tuna salad. She usually served it in a 'tomato bowl' (center of tomato
scooped out to make a bowl) but I know your family won't eat the
tomatoes. Perhaps served on a bed of lettuce?

We also have a lot of cottage cheese. Cottage cheese in the center of a
slice of cantaloupe is wonderful! For a refreshing dessert a scoop of
vanilla ice cream in the hollow of a cantaloupe is awesome!

Homemake lemonade with lots of ice.

--
DreadfulBitch

Janet B

Jul 2, 2015, 10:57:35 PM7/2/15
My mom's go to was chicken sandwiches. This was a real treat, never
enjoyed except when it was very, very hot. She would make chicken
sandwiches with white bread, butter, lettuce from the garden and salt
and pepper. She would cut them in quarters on the diagonal. My dad
would come home from work, get the car and we would drive down to the
lake (Michigan) and eat sandwiches at the edge of the sand and have
orange drink in those little glass milk bottles. To this day, chicken
sandwiches signal a special feeling when I make them. Almost like a
special picnic.
Janet US

sf

Jul 2, 2015, 11:18:50 PM7/2/15
On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 19:00:33 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
They're probably smaller than Costco's avocados.

--

sf

koko

Jul 2, 2015, 11:24:39 PM7/2/15
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 05:40:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:14:38 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Please note that I am not trolling and I don't want to argue about this. I
>> am just wondering what others eat when it is hot.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

That looks wonderful, thanks for sharing

koko

James Beard

JBurns

Jul 2, 2015, 11:25:42 PM7/2/15
wrote:

>On 7/2/2015 8:28 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 7/2/2015 7:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> So what? My mother never made chicken piccata. That didn't stop me
>>> from trying it.
>>
>> I'd be here all day if I had to list all the foods I have
>> eaten that my parents never ate. Ribs would be on that list.
>> So would yogurt, artichokes, avocados, crab cakes blah blah.
>>
>> Imagine? What an excuse.
>>
>> nancy
>>
>If I didn't cook anything my mother never did I would never have eaten
>much more than exceedingly dull meatloaf, frozen meat entrees ("in
>gravy"), boxed mashed potatoes and canned vegetables. It's a good thing
>I'm more interested in food than that!
>
>Speaking of avocados... Mom loved them but I never tasted one until I
>was perhaps in my 30's. Point is, I did eventually give 'em try. Oooh,
>tastes good! I don't go out of my way to buy them but I will if the
>price is right. Call me when they're two for a dollar. ;)
>
>Jill

I was very lucky, my mother was an excellent cook and could make
delicious meals even out of the cheapest cuts of meat and offal.

She was also very willing to experiment and started cooking French,
Italian, Indian, Indonesian and Thai at home. The latter was the most
difficult as the Asian ingredients and produce were the most difficult
to source and those sort of cookbooks were few and far between. She
sought out and made friends with women from different cultures to
learn and then grew her own vegetable produce. We lived in a large
country town so finding people of different cultures was not even that
easy. She also made friends with the wives of dock workers who had
access to the many ships that came through the port, a great source of
alternative ingredients. We had many dinner guests with strange
accents and of dubious character! I especially remember the Russians
that smoked long black cigarettes and drank cold vodka with their
meals.

She has always been a great baker and having grown up in a large
family of very limited means really knew how to make great family
meals from the humblest of ingredients.

I thought it was the norm until I started having meals at friends'
houses and realised how many bad cooks were out there. I had many
meals that I had to force down politely. My friends loved coming to my
house for meals.

Just recently I went to stay at her house for six weeks, she had a
major operation and was not allowed to do any housework, cooking or
driving (she is 76). We had a great time cooking up a storm, she did a
lot of the prep work sitting in a comfortable chair. We hosted many
dinners and afternoon teas among our many relatives.

JB

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 1:32:08 AM7/3/15

> On 7/2/2015 4:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> Dur, Jill. How in the world did you go from what I said to that? I do
>> eat protein. What I said was that there are a lot of proteins out there
>> that I have never eaten. Such as oxtail, lamb, chicken thighs, kidneys,
>> most seafood... I am just not interested.
>
> IOW, you're not interested in food. I have no idea why you're even here.

Not sure what IOW means but I love to cook and while I don't love all food,
I do love most vegetables. I was just reading about how if you eat a clean
diet, you'll begin to prefer the taste of veggies. Perhaps that is why I
do?

>>> Cut out the soda. Raw fruits and vegetables? Harder to digest.
>>> Maybe you should actually read about your condition and talk to your
>>> doctor.
>>>
>>> http://www.medicinenet.com/gastroparesis/page4.htm
>>
>> I am not stupid Jill. I do have a gastroenterologist and I will be
>> seeing him again on the 8th. My gastroparesis is not acting up at the
>> moment because I am eating the proper diet. And the soda is just fine.
>> So are the vegetables that I do eat. I do not eat things like
>> broccoli. Broccoli is the hardest vegetable to digest. Oh gee Jill!
>> Did you forget that I once told *you* that?
>>
> Yeah, you told me that. The thing is, I don't have a problem digesting
> broccoli. Or any other food for that matter. You tried to "educate me"
> when I mentioned Crohn's Disease. Sorry, but my system is not backed up
> like yours appears to be. You want to keep eating stuff that causes
> problems, fine. Do try not to bitch about it every week.

No. I didn't try to educate you. I did say here recently that I don't like
to teach. It's not my thing. I only tossed out the hard to digest part in
case that might be a problem. And my system is not backed up. Certainly
not. And I *don't* eat things that are a problem. I am very careful about
what I eat. Why you feel the need to lie and make things up is beyond me.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 1:38:02 AM7/3/15

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 17:14:45 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/2015 4:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Dur, Jill. How in the world did you go from what I said to that? I do
>>> eat protein. What I said was that there are a lot of proteins out there
>>> that I have never eaten. Such as oxtail, lamb, chicken thighs, kidneys,
>>> most seafood... I am just not interested.
>>
>> IOW, you're not interested in food. I have no idea why you're even here.
>
> How do you live in America for 50+ years and never have a chicken
> thigh (or "most seafood")?

Jinxy Steve. Some people were vegetarians or vegans from birth. We had a
Seventh Day Adventist minister and his wife who lived next door to us when I
was a kid. They were elderly and their kids were grown. They never ate any
meat or seafood and they were very healthy.

I am from the Midwest and while they might have seafood there now, we didn't
have any when I was a kid. The only fish I ever had came from a can. Once
we moved here, my parents went on Weight Watchers for a year. That was the
year of white fish and liver. Apparently my mom did serve us scallops a
time or three and told us it was white fish. You do not want to know what
she did to fish. It wasn't pretty. I have mentioned it here before. Other
than tuna, no fish has ever appealed to me. I did manage to eat fish sticks
if buried in mashed potatoes but they were far from a favorite dish. We
were served those every Friday at school.

> I really shouldn't be at all surprised <sigh>. That' what I get for
> reading a Julie-post.

My friend is older than me and didn't try cottage cheese until recently.
Her mom hated the stuff so never brought it home and she was lead to believe
that it was yucky. I told her that it wasn't, so she tried it and liked it.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 1:39:37 AM7/3/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
My mother would not buy them. I don't know why. I did making them a couple
of times when people told me how good they were but nobody here likes them.
Husband isn't a big chicken eater and Angela only likes the breast. I don't
like dark meat of any fowl.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 1:40:29 AM7/3/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
Well, you seem to know where they are. I don't see why you won't tell me.
If you know...

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 1:50:37 AM7/3/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
We ate tons of vegetables when I was growing up. Only thing we never had
was fresh onions. My mom only used dry. And we were forbidden to bring
melons into the house unless they were watermelons. My mom gagged at the
smell of other melons. She did make exceptions when my dad was on Weight
Watchers but he had to go to extreme lengths to dispose of the rinds. Same
went for banana peels. We had to seal those in a waxed paper bag then a
paper bag and run them outside as soon as we could. We did have a lot of
fruit. I just didn't care for it.

As for meat, we had a lot of ground beef, Cornish Game Hens (for some reason
my mom was fond of them), chicken breasts, cube steak, steak, pork chops,
ham, occasionally hot dogs, roast beef, turkey, liver and some fish.
Generally only fish when my parents were on a diet. We most certainly
didn't have meat every night and when we did, it was often a small amount
made into a stew or casserole. My mom also loved packaged and frozen foods.
We had TV dinners every Friday for a while.

However... We dined out far more often than anyone else I knew. Both of my
parents loved to do that and my mom still does. I liked it when salad bars
were the norm but now there aren't many and those that remain aren't all
that good. I often had just salad bar or soup and salad when we dined out.
I just loved vegetables that much and it was rare for me to be able to eat
my fill at home because we only had so many and we had to feed four.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 1:52:49 AM7/3/15

"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
We had a lot of canned pineapple. In those days I don't think fresh was very
common here or it was expensive. We had a lot of canned veggies and some
fruit but we always had a garden. Only then did we have different greens.
I don't think you could buy anything but Iceberg lettuce in those days.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 2:03:37 AM7/3/15

"DreadfulBitch" <notha...@nobodyishome.com> wrote in message
> On 7/1/2015 10:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am just wondering what others eat when it is hot.
>
> My hot weather go to is the same as my mom's when I was growing up. Tuna
> salad. She usually served it in a 'tomato bowl' (center of tomato scooped
> out to make a bowl) but I know your family won't eat the tomatoes.
> Perhaps served on a bed of lettuce?

I like it that way. Actually, Angela asked for tomatoes with her dinner and
ate them! I didn't think she would eat what I made tonight at all which was
"tacos" with flour tortillas (because I can't have corn), refried beans,
seasoned ground beef and iceberg lettuce. We also had bowls of assorted raw
veggies and black olives. I put one piece of orange and one piece of yellow
pepper in her bowl and she ate those too. No complaints. I was really
shocked that not only did she say that she wanted the tacos but also asked
sheepishly if she could have tomatoes on hers.

I bought the ingredients for gazpacho today but had to go to three stores.
Costco had no peppers of any kind today. They seemed low on produce.
Target had no cilantro or red onion. I could have gotten everything at
Haggen but would have paid an arm and a leg for it. Cucumbers were super
cheap at Costco! Three for about $2.40 and they were really long ones.
Normally I pay $1 or more for a much shorter one. She seemed curious when I
was picking up the veggies. I just told her that I was making gazpacho but
that she didn't have to eat it. I saw a little flash of a look on her face
that made me think that she will want to try it. She used to love tomato
soup. I will probably make it later so it can chill. If I can find room in
the fridge for it.
> We also have a lot of cottage cheese. Cottage cheese in the center of a
> slice of cantaloupe is wonderful! For a refreshing dessert a scoop of
> vanilla ice cream in the hollow of a cantaloupe is awesome!
>
> Homemake lemonade with lots of ice.

We have been drinking lemon water. Alas there are water quality problems in
this area. The drought has caused a lot of algae and the treatment for it
is causing the water to taste and smell just awful. So I am having to use
bottled. I wish there was a sweetener I could use. So far I haven't found
one. I did buy a bag of lemons and another of limes at Coscto.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 2:09:49 AM7/3/15

"Janet B" <nos...@cableone.net> wrote in message
What kind of chicken was it? The only sandwiches I remember my mom making
were French Dips (rarely) and cold meatloaf sandwiches which we pretty much
only had for road trips. We did go on occasional picnics but I don't
remember eating sandwiches then. They were more like potluck type events.

My dad did make sandwiches and he cut them in quarters like that. But he
deliberately made them so that we wouldn't eat them. Peanut butter, jelly,
bananas, lettuce and Miracle Whip. I can still picture him snickering and
grinning over the platter as he said, "More for me then!"

I know that we did have bologna in the house because I can remember making
"pizza" for my brother when I was perhaps 5 years old. I started with a
piece of toast, then ketchup, then a slice of American cheese and either
bologna or olive loaf. Whatever we had at the time. The meat must have been
for my dad's lunches because we never got sandwiches for lunch. My mom was
big into Campbell's soup no matter the time of year. Or cottage cheese or
tuna salad.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 2:14:13 AM7/3/15

"JBurns" <jpb...@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
My mom didn't do a lot of experimenting but I remember one night she made
either Manicotti or Cannelloni. I always get the two mixed up. The tubes
stuffed with cheese and a red sauce over. AFAIK, none of us had ever eaten
them before. I had a schoolmate over to do a science project and she was
going to stay for dinner until she found out what it was. She then freaked
and called her parents, begging to go home. I couldn't understand what
would be so upsetting about that meal and I still don't today. AFAIK she
didn't have any food issues. My mom never made that meal again though
because she said it was very difficult to stuff the tubes. I don't know. I
never tried. I just do the shells.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 3, 2015, 7:50:23 AM7/3/15
On Thursday, July 2, 2015 at 11:24:39 PM UTC-4, koko wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 05:40:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 11:14:38 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> Please note that I am not trolling and I don't want to argue about this. I
> >> am just wondering what others eat when it is hot.
> >
> >I like this:
> >
> ><http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/614189578/cucumber-carrot-and-cellophane-noodle-salad/?locale=en_US>
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton
>
> That looks wonderful, thanks for sharing

I've been making it for more than 30 years, out of Mrs. Chiang's
Szechuan cookbook.

I often add strips of (leftover) pork or chicken to make it a one-dish meal.

Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Jul 3, 2015, 10:14:26 AM7/3/15
My mother used to serve cold salad plates like that. We would have some
cottage cheese, some salmon or tuna salad, cucumber, tomatoes and fruit.

However, Julie will come up with excuses for why she can't serve that to
her herd.

Gary

Jul 3, 2015, 10:50:54 AM7/3/15
jmcquown wrote:

> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >> Oh wow. I have never had ribs and I
> >> don't think my daughter has either. They just look so messy and fatty and
> >> greasy.

> It's entirely possible she has never had ribs. However, ribs don't have
> to be messy.

Oh yes they do! Eating proper ribs will have the sauce all over your
face from eyebrows down to chin. Finger licking good.

You dive into a huge plate of ribs, carry a roll of paper towels with
you.

G.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 3, 2015, 2:36:36 PM7/3/15
On 7/3/2015 8:14 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Julie will come up with excuses for why she can't serve that to her herd.

Why don't you just fuck off you woman-hating canuck bully!

cshenk

Jul 3, 2015, 5:02:25 PM7/3/15
Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/2/2015 5:03 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > > I'd be here all day if I had to list all the foods I have
> > > eaten that my parents never ate. Ribs would be on that list.
> > > So would yogurt, artichokes, avocados, crab cakes blah blah.
>
> > LOL, me too.
> >
> > I had experienced in the veggie kingdom: Lettuce (iceberg only),
> > peas, green beans, carrots, potatoes, corn and onions (onions used
> > sparsely). There were no other veggies.
>
> Canned? We had succotash, too. Black eyed peas once in a while.
> It was my job to line up the cans by vegetable when we got home
> from the commissary.

Mostly frozen but some canned. Mom didnt know what black eyed peas
were until I got a can. Once she saw them, a dim memory surfaced and
she added a strip of bacon to them as they cooked. We'd get those
sweet tasting cans of 'pork-n-beans' once a year or so and I think that
she got the bacon idea from there.

> > Fruits were limited to bananas, apples, oranges, tangarines, and the
> > wild foray to occasional canned pinnapple, peach, or a grape. (I
> > think I had grapes 3 times before i moved out).
>
> My mother was big on apples. I really don't remember fruits
> that much. No bananas.

We lived in Florida. Had a banana tree in the back yard.

> > Meat was beef, chicken, pork chops and rarely ham, whatever, it was
> > over cooked. Remember the old rule about chew your food at least
> > 20times? You didnt have a choice with Mom's cooking.
>
> (laughing) We ate a lot of fried rice (she was really my stepmother,
> and she was Japanese). Pork chops, meat loaf, macaroni and cheese.
> She did pretty well. She got all her pointers from women's magazines.

Grin, Mom would get the occasional 'chinese take-out' and it is
interesting that it was just often enough for me to learn to use
chopsticks as a child. That came in handy later in life in Hawaii then
Japan. I eat like a native in Japan because I learned early.

> > It was more like
> > 40 times chew then try to struggle it down.
>
> Too funny.

;-)

> > Lovely woman, just not a cook.
> >
> > I learned best as I could on my own later.
>
> Ditto. I didn't learn to cook at home, so I had to figure
> things out when I struck out on my own.

Yeah, first night out on my own, my roomates tested me by me making
dinner. I thought it was reasonable (hamburger helper and some canned
veggies). I got relegated to dishwasher immediately until I learned to
cook. ;-) Have to admit, they were well advanced of your average
(having learned from early age from good cooks).

Anyways, I learned, over time. Still some things I dont know how to do
(mostly because they arent things I am very interested in) but I think
I am pretty good with scratch gravy now. Lets just say, no one will
starve here.

I found a 'new to me' item as the prices have dropped locally. Little
bags of sweet baby bell peppers, orange, red, yellow. It's about 3$ a
lb but they sure do work in a million ways for meals! Don (Hubby)
likes to cook too so we've been taking turns making little bits of
things with them.

Winding back to topic, here is one of our hot weather foods, adapted to
use them. This is a mix what ya got so the proportions need not be
exact.

1 lb peeled shrimp
1/2 stick butter (real butter please)
1/3 cup olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion, sweet preferred
2-4 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped mushroom (Shiitake preferred but a mix of King Oyster
and button will do. Reduce to 1/3 cup if using shemenji).
1/8 ts patis ***Tiparos brand, the real thing**
1/2 cup strips of sweet baby bell peppers
1/2 cup fresh green beans, ends removed (can add a lot more!)

Optional: add up to 2 cups other chopped greens like cabbage, broccoli,
yum cha, bok choy, gai lan, spinach.

Start the rice maker with 1 cup rice, 2 cups water. Melt butter in a
pan with the olive oil and add onions until they turn translucent then
add mushroom, garlic, patis and shrimp. Let cook at a gentle heat
until shrimp are about ready then add other greens and bell peppers,
turning heat up a bit and stirring.

At this stage, if you want a thicker sauce, add a little corn starch
and stir.

If using cabbage variation, you can skip or reduce the rice but will
want to add 1/4 cup each more butter and olive oil. The greens get
added last as they take little time to wilt down.

Total time, about 10 minutes since you chop the next stage while the
earlier ones are in progress. The rice actually takes longer so this
melds on the stove until the rice is done.

Carol

cshenk

Jul 3, 2015, 5:17:55 PM7/3/15
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Hi Julie, for sweeter water, try the mio bottles or if that doesnt fit
the budget, fix a packet of KoolAide with 2 cups water and use a little
of that in a bottle. Use the ones that have no sweetner then add a
little sweetner of a type that works for you. You arent re-creating
KoolAide here but a bit of fruit flavor to the water. At the lightly
flavored water version, that 2 cups from one packet will flavor 2-2-1/2
gallons for most of us.

Carol

cshenk

Jul 3, 2015, 5:55:57 PM7/3/15
Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Hehge try korean cut. Not as messy.

Dave Smith

Jul 3, 2015, 5:57:47 PM7/3/15
On 2015-07-03 5:17 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> We have been drinking lemon water. Alas there are water quality
>> problems in this area. The drought has caused a lot of algae and the
>> treatment for it is causing the water to taste and smell just awful.
>> So I am having to use bottled. I wish there was a sweetener I could
>> use. So far I haven't found one. I did buy a bag of lemons and
>> another of limes at Coscto.
>
> Hi Julie, for sweeter water, try the mio bottles or if that doesnt fit
> the budget, fix a packet of KoolAide with 2 cups water and use a little
> of that in a bottle. Use the ones that have no sweetner then add a
> little sweetner of a type that works for you. You arent re-creating
> KoolAide here but a bit of fruit flavor to the water. At the lightly
> flavored water version, that 2 cups from one packet will flavor 2-2-1/2
> gallons for most of us.

Can't people drink water without sweetener? I mean... buying bottled
water and wishing there was a sweetener she could use...

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 6:08:40 PM7/3/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
It's not that I don't know how to sweeten water. It's that there are no
sweeteners that are safe for me. No clue what a mio bottle is and I'm not
about to buy any more bottles. I also don't necessarily want flavored
water. I want water with lemon in it. Real lemon. Not the Real Lemon
juice. But actual lemon and/or lime slices. It's good for the ph.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 6:10:51 PM7/3/15

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
Odd how when I do post something, you won't remember it. And yet you
remember me posting all sorts of things that I never posted at all. Just a
few weeks ago I posted about the melon with sorbet and fruit. And no, I did
not like dealing with the melon. Thankfully neither of them has wanted it
since.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 6:12:53 PM7/3/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5596A17C...@att.net...
That's exactly my impression of them. I have posted of this before but
years ago we had a fancy Christmas party at a hotel. We were offered three
food choices, one of which was ribs. A few people did opt for the ribs and
then mostly just didn't eat them. We all had on nice clothing, much of
which needed to be dry cleaned and the ribs were insanely messy.

cshenk

Jul 3, 2015, 6:15:54 PM7/3/15
Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Sure they can! It's just nice to add a *small* flavor to it. Consider
this like a slice of lemon in a 1/2 gallon pitcher.

cshenk

Jul 3, 2015, 6:17:10 PM7/3/15
Then use Lemons Julie. Pretty simple.

Dave Smith

Jul 3, 2015, 6:38:35 PM7/3/15
On 2015-07-03 6:17 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> It's not that I don't know how to sweeten water. It's that there are
>> no sweeteners that are safe for me. No clue what a mio bottle is and
>> I'm not about to buy any more bottles. I also don't necessarily want
>> flavored water. I want water with lemon in it. Real lemon. Not the
>> Real Lemon juice. But actual lemon and/or lime slices. It's good
>> for the ph.
>
> Then use Lemons Julie. Pretty simple.

LOL... see how it works. She got you hook, line and sinker. She posed
the question. You gave her the time and effort to provide a valid answer
and .. bango... the reason it won't work for. It is Julie's MO, and
people keep falling for it. She asks for help and then dumps on the
good intentioned response.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 3, 2015, 6:39:40 PM7/3/15
On 7/3/2015 4:38 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> It is Julie's MO, and people keep falling for it. She asks for help and
> then dumps on the good intentioned response.

STFU woman-hater.

jmcquown

Jul 3, 2015, 6:55:36 PM7/3/15
On 7/2/2015 11:18 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2015 19:00:33 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/2/2015 5:10 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Those days are long gone. Costco sells them 6 for $6 and that's as
>>> good as it gets anymore.
>>>
>> Publix has them 10 for $10 but you don't have to buy ten of them. :)
>>
> They're probably smaller than Costco's avocados.

Probably... I'm not driving to Costco (closest one is in Georgia) to
find out. ;)

Jill

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 7:14:18 PM7/3/15

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
That's not what I said. I don't want sweet water. I said that I wished I
could make lemonade but there is no sweetener I can use.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 7:15:20 PM7/3/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
Yikes! Why bother? I had two whole lemons in my cup last night.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 7:17:05 PM7/3/15

"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote in message
Uh... I do! That is what I said. Seriously, do you have a reading
comprehension problem?

Acme Bully Control

Jul 3, 2015, 7:19:16 PM7/3/15
SUCRALOSE.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 7:19:52 PM7/3/15

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
Please point out the question! There wasn't one. Nor did I ask for help. I
am thinking this group is ripe with idiots.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 3, 2015, 7:20:55 PM7/3/15
And bullies.

Doris Night

Jul 3, 2015, 8:30:56 PM7/3/15
I make my ribs with a dry rub, and roast them on low heat for a long
time. We eat them with a knife and fork, and they are not at all
messy.

jmcquown

Jul 3, 2015, 9:56:49 PM7/3/15
On 7/3/2015 6:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I have posted of this before but years ago we had a fancy Christmas
> party at a hotel. We were offered three food choices, one of which was
> ribs. A few people did opt for the ribs and then mostly just didn't eat
> them. We all had on nice clothing, much of which needed to be dry
> cleaned and the ribs were insanely messy.

I'll admit that was very poor planning on the part of those who decided
on the food for a fancy Christmas gathering.

Ribs are a casual food in most parts of the US. Like at a picnic. You
don't have to eat outside but they're generally cooked on a grill. And
yes, it's hot weather food because lots of people do like cookouts.

There are many ways to season and cook ribs. Many different cuts of
ribs, too. It's probably been close to 20 years since I made ribs that
I finished off with any sort of messy sauce. As with any method, there
are a lot of different ways to season the ribs. They don't have to be
messy. Or greasy.

You said you don't own a grill. You said you've never had ribs. That
leads to the conclusion you're relying on pure conjecture.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion but here it is: Look up some
recipes for dry ribs and give 'em a try some time. You don't have to
order half a cow or half a pig. And no, I'm not telling you what to do
so please don't say I am.

Jill

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 11:03:59 PM7/3/15

"Doris Night" <goodnig...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Okay. Still wouldn't interest me though.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 11:05:40 PM7/3/15

"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in message
I am not relying on conjecture. My husband eats them. He says they are
fatty and greasy. I have no compunction to try them. They do not look
appealing no matter what is done to them. I am not much of a meat eater.

Julie Bove

Jul 3, 2015, 11:06:10 PM7/3/15

"Acme Bully Control" <di...@deeds.undone> wrote in message
That too.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 3, 2015, 11:47:09 PM7/3/15
A profusion of.

Julie Bove

Jul 4, 2015, 12:53:12 AM7/4/15

"Acme Bully Control" <di...@deeds.undone> wrote in message
I can't have it. I have since looked up what a Mio bottle is. Apparently
it is a water flavoring which I have no interest in and it is indeed
sweetened with that. AFAIK, the Aspartame in Diet Coke is fine but the
stuff that *I* can buy has a corn based bulking agent so I can't have it. I
believe that liquid Aspartame is made but it's not in any stores around here
and I think I did see it online but it was super expensive. If it wasn't
that, it was something else I could have but again, super expensive and
literally the only thing I would ever use it for would be a few pitchers of
lemonade so... I'll do without.

I know that some people like flavored waters but I'm not one of them. I do
like lemon and lime slices in water and perhaps once in a while, berries.
Not so much other fruits. They serve fruity water where my mom lives so I
have probably tried every kind there is. I really don't like oranges in
water.

Troll Disposal Service

Jul 4, 2015, 3:40:35 AM7/4/15
NO ONE CARES!

...dump!

____.-.____
[__Casa__]
[___Acme Bully Control___]
(d|||TROLL|||b)
`|||TRASH|||`
`"""""""""'
\\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 11:25:37 AM7/4/15
Instead of actual fruit, how about:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/sodastream-mywater-flavor-essence-set-of-3/1017435310?Keyword=sodastream

You can give the orange essence to a friend.

Troll Disposal Service

Jul 4, 2015, 11:29:13 AM7/4/15
One more fraud.

Aioe.org NNTP Server

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 1:25:36 PM7/4/15
Then use lemon and do not ask us for alternatives Julie. Dont waste
folks time answering what you already decided you want.

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 1:28:22 PM7/4/15
Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Yup, it's rapidly tiring me out. Although I know now not to spend much
time on her posts unless I think it may help *another than her* I
concentrate on the real people with real questions.

Carol

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 1:35:00 PM7/4/15
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Julie, you posted this:
> We have been drinking lemon water. Alas there are water quality
> problems in this area. The drought has caused a lot of algae and the
> treatment for it is causing the water to taste and smell just awful.
> So I am having to use bottled. I wish there was a sweetener I could
> use. So far I haven't found one. I did buy a bag of lemons and
> another of limes at Coscto.

Hi Julie, for sweeter water, try the mio bottles or if that doesnt fit
the budget, fix a packet of KoolAide with 2 cups water and use a little
of that in a bottle. Use the ones that have no sweetner then add a
little sweetner of a type that works for you. You arent re-creating
KoolAide here but a bit of fruit flavor to the water. At the lightly
flavored water version, that 2 cups from one packet will flavor 2-2-1/2
gallons for most of us.

Carol
----------

People spent time to reply and you basically pooped on our heads for
it. You just called me an idiot for trying to help you with how to
fruit up some water.

If you do not feel real popular here, you might want to look at your
OWN behavior as to why.

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 1:38:00 PM7/4/15
Seriously Julie, can you be les RUDE AS HELL when people try to help
you? I do not know what your problem is, but i am getting over
replyting to you ever because you are so rude to people.

Carol

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 1:41:19 PM7/4/15

"cshenk" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>><crap>

>If you do not feel real popular here, you might want to look at
>your
>OWN behavior as to why.
>--

Amen to that. The Bloviating Bove is a troll, and very
successful at that. My own skills pale next to hers.

Please not that if you do not see aioe.org in the headers, it is
NOT my post, it is a forgery.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 1:43:28 PM7/4/15

"cshenk" wrote in message

>Seriously Julie, can you be les RUDE AS HELL when people try to
>help
>you? I do not know what your problem is, but i am getting over
>replyting to you ever because you are so rude to people.

> Carol

I don't know why people waste time on that dumb bitch when we
have such terrible problems with the damn Groupkillas.

Note that my posts are on the aioe.org server, all others are
frauds.

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 1:48:48 PM7/4/15
Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Julie, Do not ask again for what people fix in hot weather if you are
going to virtually spit in their face for answering like you just did
to Jill.

Seriously, you are an adult. You say you are in your 50's and you
don't know better behavior with other people than that?

Carol

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 1:53:59 PM7/4/15

"cshenk" wrote

>Seriously, you are an adult. You say you are in your 50's and
>you
>don't know better behavior with other people than that?

> Carol

IF you didn't read her garbage you wouldn't find it so annoying.

All my posts are now on aioe.org, thanks to a rat and a fascist
server admin. Any posts on eternal-september are frauds.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 2:10:06 PM7/4/15
Bodine Fraud Alert.
Microsoft Windows Live Mail 16.4.3528.331
ab...@aioe.org

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 2:10:14 PM7/4/15

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 2:10:23 PM7/4/15

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 2:23:19 PM7/4/15
Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2015-07-03 6:17 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > > It's not that I don't know how to sweeten water. It's that there
> > > are no sweeteners that are safe for me. No clue what a mio
> > > bottle is and I'm not about to buy any more bottles. I also
> > > don't necessarily want flavored water. I want water with lemon
> > > in it. Real lemon. Not the Real Lemon juice. But actual lemon
> > > and/or lime slices. It's good for the ph.
> >
> > Then use Lemons Julie. Pretty simple.
> >

> LOL... see how it works. She got you hook, line and sinker. She posed
> the question. You gave her the time and effort to provide a valid
> answer and .. bango... the reason it won't work for. It is Julie's
> MO, and people keep falling for it. She asks for help and then dumps
> on the good intentioned response.

I keep trying but this day, she got really rude at people about it.

Carol

--

It is loading more messages.