real trash cooking and it is delicious

songbird

Sep 18, 2023, 11:38:05 AM9/18/23
this morning i wanted something substantial enough to
get me through the rest of the day out in the gardens.

first i started by cutting up a few medium hot peppers
and cooked them in the microwave to soften them up with
a little water (about 6 minutes total). added to that
some leftover baked beans (with chunks of hotdogs in
them), a few scoups of macaroni and tomato chunks,
garlic salt and some more ground chili pepper mix.
warmed it through a few minutes and then diced up a
few slices of American cheese and mixed that in and
let it sit for a few minutes.

the baked beans had the beans and onions from the
garden, the tomato chunks were from the garden, the
peppers were from the garden.

it's kinda like a version of chili mac with a hint
of sweetness from the baked beans. actual heat from the
medium hot peppers. some of the roasted chili flavor
from the mix.

tastebuds say 100% good and it will be filling for
sure and keep my going the rest of the day.

songbird

bruce bowser

Sep 18, 2023, 11:50:52 AM9/18/23
Hole-in-the-wall cooking is never bad, trust me.

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2023, 11:38:20 AM9/19/23
That sounds good to me, sans cheese, but I'd eat the baked beans
separately... Almost like an English breakfast.

bruce bowser

Sep 19, 2023, 12:32:58 PM9/19/23
On Monday, September 18, 2023 at 11:38:05 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
I even dated a girl who told me that you can crush-up a bag of potato chips and add it to Campbell's soup and it would make eating backed ground beef? or chicken? a great experience. I can barely remember. I've never judged a girl on the money, brains or ecomonic background she has. Just as long as all the attraction is there.
Message has been deleted

rec.food.cooking

Sep 19, 2023, 12:58:33 PM9/19/23
bruce bowser wrote:

> I even dated a girl who told me that you can crush-up a bag of potato chips and add it to Campbell's soup and it would make eating backed ground beef? or chicken? a great experience. I can barely remember. I've never judged a girl on the money, brains or ecomonic background she has. Just as long as all the attraction is there.

Was that one of you wackie Hawaiian gal pals, bb...???

I a - hear that out there, potater chips are almost an object of worship, just like Spam...

--
GM

dsi1

Sep 19, 2023, 7:07:10 PM9/19/23
For lunch I had spicy eggplant. I love eggplant although I might be making it too often.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GYFR6FPcMB2mM1RW6

jmcquown

Sep 19, 2023, 7:28:49 PM9/19/23
WTF is wrong with you? Why do you nymshift and constantly forge posts?

Jill

GM

Sep 19, 2023, 7:46:11 PM9/19/23
Here is my today's "comment" on our local fiscal situation:

https://evanstonnow.com/city-looks-to-assets-amid-soaring-expenses/

City looks to assets amid soaring expenses

September 19, 2023

"City Council members heard a litany of calls for increased spending at a special meeting Monday
night...

But there was a possible ray of budget sunshine when City Manager Luke Stowe announced that
Evanston has been chosen to participate in a program from the Government Finance Officers
Association called “Putting Assets to Work...

Unless the city can find ways to generate more revenue from its existing facilities — or reduce expenses
by selling off some assets — tax and fee increases are the likely response to the cost pressures...”

Join the Conversation

Gregory Morrow comments:
September 19, 2023 at 9:48 am

"Another very long time Evanston resident wrote:

“Why are our city and school personnel always surprised by deficits?”

Because it’s a lot more “fun” to spend “other people’s money”…

Consider the hare – brained stuff like publicly – funded financing for mayoral candidates.
“Participatory Budgeting”, moneys thrown at failing businesses like Bookends & Beginnings,
millions wasted on failed “social service” agencies such as Connections for the Homeless
and Cradle to Grave, “reparations”, the un – needed new 5th Ward School, outrageous School
District 65 transportation costs, plastic bag taxes, the spectacular failure to monetize the decrepit
Harley Clarke Mansion, etcetera, etcetera…

Of course, you, the working taxpayer, are told to “get to the back of the bus” and cease your silly complaining about all of this wonderful spending that will ensure “equity” for everyone – this is the “progressive” mantra, naturally…

“It’s only money”, after all…

Respectfully,
Gregory Morrow..."

--
GM ;-D

GM

Sep 19, 2023, 7:49:04 PM9/19/23
Why, to keep your sphincter in "tight and good shape", Dearest Princess Jill...

;-D

--
GM

Bruce

Sep 19, 2023, 7:51:02 PM9/19/23
It's a great vegetable, especially cooked in Japanese or Chinese style
(and no doubt more Asian styles).

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 19, 2023, 8:11:16 PM9/19/23
I cooked the eggplant so that it wasn't mushy. I'm going to be preparing my eggplant like this from not on. Here's what our clan had for dinner last night - a trayful of meat. Hoo boy!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qRGQvTYdoCEEQbJt8

songbird

Sep 19, 2023, 8:12:44 PM9/19/23
bruce bowser wrote:
> I even dated a girl who told me that you can crush-up a bag of potato chips and add it to Campbell's soup and it would make eating backed ground beef? or chicken? a great experience. I can barely remember. I've never judged a girl on the money, brains or ecomonic background she has. Just as long as all the attraction is there.

potato chips can be used in almost any potato dish
but sometimes they need to be rinsed first.

songbird

songbird

Sep 19, 2023, 8:12:45 PM9/19/23
Michael Trew wrote:
> That sounds good to me, sans cheese, but I'd eat the baked beans
> separately... Almost like an English breakfast.

to me they all will be touching in my stomach anyways
so using the same bowl to cook and eat from is peachy. :)

some people can't mix things on their plates while i
will randomly combine things fairly often.

jr. mints and raw carrots are really good, especially
if you have a kid that won't touch raw carrots.

songbird

songbird

Sep 19, 2023, 8:12:47 PM9/19/23
dsi1 wrote:
> For lunch I had spicy eggplant. I love eggplant although I might be making it too often.

i like eggplant too once in a while but rarely eat it
these days. some future years i'll be growing it again
i hope and then i'll feast away on at least three or
four dishes i enjoy. :)

songbird

cshenk

Sep 19, 2023, 8:13:22 PM9/19/23
I like the eggplant!

I missed Songbird on the first go-round but I think it was innovative
and fun stuff to mix up!

Today was a bit inspired by Kentucky Burgoo. The classic version is
more intense and longer cooked. I used Hebrew National hot dog (1
sliced to dimes), Harris Teeter medium sausage (about 1/2 of 1 and made
into little meatballs) and 1/2 cup of peeled shrimp. 1 can of corn
(undrained), 1/2 cup frozen okra and 1 can black beans. Added 2 cans
of tomato soup (and 1 1/2 water) and tasted then added some black
pepper, a few shakes of hot sauce and 2 pinches of Tandoori curry.

Hot rice then add soup/stew. Good!

cshenk

Sep 19, 2023, 8:30:00 PM9/19/23
What's your favorite method to make it? Mine istin fancy. I just
brush with olive oil then sprinkle 'bacos' and paybe some Parmesean and
bake.

songbird

Sep 19, 2023, 9:00:58 PM9/19/23
cshenk wrote:
> What's your favorite method to make it? Mine istin fancy. I just
> brush with olive oil then sprinkle 'bacos' and paybe some Parmesean and
> bake.

roasted on the grill, no spices, brush the
grill with a bit of oil if sticking is an issue.

then after it's roasted it can be turned into
many other delicious dishes. babaganoush being
one i'd like right now with chopped fresh onions
and garlic (both not cooked at all) sprinkled on
top.

songbird

songbird

Sep 19, 2023, 9:00:59 PM9/19/23
cshenk wrote:
> I missed Songbird on the first go-round but I think it was innovative
> and fun stuff to mix up!

very tasty but now all those odds and ends are gone
so i had to figure out something else for tonight's
dinner. crackers and jr. mints after peanut butter
and apple slices. a few raw carrots chaser after
drinkig some water - i'll have some more water in a
bit to make sure the sugar is washed off my tooth.

> Today was a bit inspired by Kentucky Burgoo. The classic version is
> more intense and longer cooked. I used Hebrew National hot dog (1
> sliced to dimes), Harris Teeter medium sausage (about 1/2 of 1 and made
> into little meatballs) and 1/2 cup of peeled shrimp. 1 can of corn
> (undrained), 1/2 cup frozen okra and 1 can black beans. Added 2 cans
> of tomato soup (and 1 1/2 water) and tasted then added some black
> pepper, a few shakes of hot sauce and 2 pinches of Tandoori curry.
>
> Hot rice then add soup/stew. Good!

:)

songbird

jmcquown

Sep 19, 2023, 10:13:38 PM9/19/23
"bacos"? Those faux protein pretend bacon things? Why?! I thought you
were the all natural foods gardening kind of guy.

Simply done, peeled and sliced eggplant. Dredged in seasoned flour,
dipped in egg wash, then either dredged in the flour again or some dry
breadcrumbs. Grated Parm is optional in the dried mix. After dredging,
place the eggplant slices on parchment paper or waxed paper to set. Pan
fry the rounds in a little bit of olive oil in a large non-stick
skillet. Do not over-crowd the pan. Remove the browned slices to paper
to drain. Delicious!

If you wanted to, from there you could layer it in a baking dish and
make Eggplant Parmesan. It's kind of like making lasagna except you're
using slices of eggplant along with adding the tomato sauce, cheeses,
etc, and baking it in the oven.

Jill

Michael Trew

Sep 20, 2023, 12:05:35 AM9/20/23
On 9/19/2023 7:55 PM, songbird wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>> That sounds good to me, sans cheese, but I'd eat the baked beans
>> separately... Almost like an English breakfast.
>
> to me they all will be touching in my stomach anyways
> so using the same bowl to cook and eat from is peachy. :)
>
> some people can't mix things on their plates while i
> will randomly combine things fairly often.

I don't care if things touch, but certain things just have an odd
texture/taste when fully mixed.

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 1:31:39 AM9/20/23

songbird

Sep 20, 2023, 11:12:46 AM9/20/23
jmcquown wrote:
> Simply done, peeled and sliced eggplant. Dredged in seasoned flour,
> dipped in egg wash, then either dredged in the flour again or some dry
> breadcrumbs. Grated Parm is optional in the dried mix. After dredging,
> place the eggplant slices on parchment paper or waxed paper to set. Pan
> fry the rounds in a little bit of olive oil in a large non-stick
> skillet. Do not over-crowd the pan. Remove the browned slices to paper
> to drain. Delicious!
>
> If you wanted to, from there you could layer it in a baking dish and
> make Eggplant Parmesan. It's kind of like making lasagna except you're
> using slices of eggplant along with adding the tomato sauce, cheeses,
> etc, and baking it in the oven.

yes, that's another way i love it! :) the key to
me is that i like it crunchy and not baked with the
sauce and cheese on it, but i put those on after the
slices are baked and crunchy and then use the broiler
to melt the cheese after putting the sauce on. so
they do not get soggy too quick that they lose their
crunch.

songbird

bruce bowser

Sep 20, 2023, 11:27:08 AM9/20/23
I was never an eggplant person, but I bet diced green and red peppers, a few sausage or ground beef crumbles, diced onions, back olives and mushrooms in place of it sounds just as good.

dsi1

Sep 20, 2023, 2:32:17 PM9/20/23
A lot of people don't care for the mushy texture of eggplant. They like to cook it to "fix" the texture.
Breakfast this morning was pancakes. It was American style, not that foreign stuff.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eErkqmmWhTGcrBPz6

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 2:53:35 PM9/20/23
Yes, let's call it an American "pancake". (Don't forget the quotes.)

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

cshenk

Sep 20, 2023, 3:00:03 PM9/20/23
Sounds good!

cshenk

Sep 20, 2023, 3:09:26 PM9/20/23
jmcquown wrote:

> On 9/19/2023 8:29 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > songbird wrote:

> >> i like eggplant too once in a while but rarely eat it
> > > these days. some future years i'll be growing it again
> > > i hope and then i'll feast away on at least three or
> > > four dishes i enjoy. :)
> > >

> >> songbird
> >
> > What's your favorite method to make it? Mine isn't fancy. I just
> > brush with olive oil then sprinkle 'bacos' and maybe some Parmesean
> > and bake.
>
> "bacos"? Those faux protein pretend bacon things? Why?! I thought
> you were the all natural foods gardening kind of guy.

Not always! The majority of my eating is quite healthy but baco's just
appeals to me at times.

> Simply done, peeled and sliced eggplant. Dredged in seasoned flour,
> dipped in egg wash, then either dredged in the flour again or some
> dry breadcrumbs. Grated Parm is optional in the dried mix. After
> dredging, place the eggplant slices on parchment paper or waxed paper
> to set. Pan fry the rounds in a little bit of olive oil in a large
> non-stick skillet. Do not over-crowd the pan. Remove the browned
> slices to paper to drain. Delicious!
>
> If you wanted to, from there you could layer it in a baking dish and
> make Eggplant Parmesan. It's kind of like making lasagna except
> you're using slices of eggplant along with adding the tomato sauce,
> cheeses, etc, and baking it in the oven.
>
> Jill

I like the second one. I wonder how mexican chorizo would go with it?

dsi1

Sep 20, 2023, 3:35:56 PM9/20/23
Indeed aniki, I feel the need to call it "American" pancakes in an attempt to not confuse you. For some reason, your ability to comprehend pancakes is limited.

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 3:53:02 PM9/20/23
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 12:35:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
But you have to understand. You, Americans, take food items from
Europe and change them, but don't change their name. Order a tea in
the US and you get a huge glass of mega sweet soda pop. That kinda
thing. Order a pancake in Hawaii and you get a multi-storied tart
thing that's dripping with sweet stuff. The cultural divide!

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 20, 2023, 4:18:02 PM9/20/23
Big deal - yoose people take your regular food, add pineapple to it and call it "Hawaiian." Yoose people haven't a clue about Hawaii. Here's a real Hawaiian cake.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BGsrBUPh4YY2TDSm7

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 4:57:50 PM9/20/23
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:17:57 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
The Pacific's full of islands. How's your knowledge of Tuvalu?

Here's a real Hawaiian cake.

>https://photos.app.goo.gl/BGsrBUPh4YY2TDSm7

That's impressive. The girls seem to think so too.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Michael Trew

Sep 20, 2023, 5:02:56 PM9/20/23
On 9/20/2023 3:52 PM, Bruce wrote:

> You, Americans, take food items from
> Europe and change them, but don't change their name. Order a tea in
> the US and you get a huge glass of mega sweet soda pop.

Let me school you, Mr. Never-Been-To-America... You must order "Sweet
tea" for what you are describing (and yes, it is far too sweet for my
taste). "Hot tea" would be European style "pond water", which is not
terribly popular on this side of the "pond".

"Iced tea" is ordered for non-sweetened cold tea. That's my preference
of the three. Many call the latter "unsweetened" tea, which bothers me,
because the name suggests the sugar was removed... When in fact, it was
never added in the first place.

dsi1

Sep 20, 2023, 5:11:30 PM9/20/23
Nobody's making Tuvalian pizza or Tuvalian cornbread.
Here's one of the best restaurants in the US according to The New York Times. It's Hawaiian style food in that it's not high mucky muck or pretentious.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/tiffanys-wailuku

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 5:18:49 PM9/20/23
Thank you for the information Mr. Never-Been-Out-Of-America. This is
very complicated and I bet it's different again in Texas.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2023, 5:21:10 PM9/20/23
On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 2:53:02 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> You, Americans, take food items from
> Europe and change them, but don't change their name. Order a tea in
> the US and you get a huge glass of mega sweet soda pop. That kinda
> thing. Order a pancake in Hawaii and you get a multi-storied tart
> thing that's dripping with sweet stuff. The cultural divide!
>
> Bruce

Sweet tea, unsweetened tea, and hot tea is readily available in practically
all restaurants in the USA; you just have to specify your preference. It's the
same with soda pop/soft drinks. If you want Coke you have ask for it or if
you want 7-UP/Sprite/Sierra Mist, you have to ask for it. Root beer or an
orange soda is your choice, ask for it, the waitress doesn't know what you
want to drink.

Pancakes generally come in a 'short stack' or regular pancakes or silver
dollar size. You gotta specify which ones you want. But I've not seen them
cut into wedges like David has shown in his photo.

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 5:23:43 PM9/20/23
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:11:26 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>Nobody's making Tuvalian pizza or Tuvalian cornbread.

Lol, no. I've never even heard of Tuvalian anything (or Hawaiian
cornbread).

>Here's one of the best restaurants in the US according to The New York Times. It's Hawaiian style food in that it's not high mucky muck or pretentious.
>
>https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/tiffanys-wailuku

I think I'd like Hawaiian cuisine, from what I've seen of it. I'd just
skip the meat.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 20, 2023, 5:28:24 PM9/20/23
On 2023-09-20, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 2:53:02 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> >
>> You, Americans, take food items from
>> Europe and change them, but don't change their name. Order a tea in
>> the US and you get a huge glass of mega sweet soda pop. That kinda
>> thing. Order a pancake in Hawaii and you get a multi-storied tart
>> thing that's dripping with sweet stuff. The cultural divide!
>>
>> Bruce
>>
> Sweet tea, unsweetened tea, and hot tea is readily available in practically
> all restaurants in the USA;

Not necessarily sweet tea. It was unknown here in DamnYankeeLand until
the late 1990s or maybe a bit later. If you wanted sweetened iced tea in
a restaurant, you had to stir in the sugar yourself.

--
Cindy Hamilton

dsi1

Sep 20, 2023, 5:30:17 PM9/20/23
I surprised that it could be considered one of the best restaurant in America but there you go.

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 5:32:19 PM9/20/23
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:21:05 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 2:53:02 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> >
>> You, Americans, take food items from
>> Europe and change them, but don't change their name. Order a tea in
>> the US and you get a huge glass of mega sweet soda pop. That kinda
>> thing. Order a pancake in Hawaii and you get a multi-storied tart
>> thing that's dripping with sweet stuff. The cultural divide!
>>
>Sweet tea, unsweetened tea, and hot tea is readily available in practically
>all restaurants in the USA; you just have to specify your preference.

I saw a documentary about the death penalty in the US. The female
journalist was in a red state, maybe it was Texas, and ordered a tea,
without specifying further. She got a small bucket of sweet ice tea.
I'm not saying that's wrong or anything, just that it's different.

>It's the same with soda pop/soft drinks. If you want Coke you have ask for it or if
>you want 7-UP/Sprite/Sierra Mist, you have to ask for it. Root beer or an
>orange soda is your choice, ask for it, the waitress doesn't know what you
>want to drink.

I understand that you'll only get Sierra Mist (?) if you specifically
ask for it.

>Pancakes generally come in a 'short stack' or regular pancakes or silver
>dollar size. You gotta specify which ones you want. But I've not seen them
>cut into wedges like David has shown in his photo.

Maybe one single pancake is to an American what one single bean is to
a European?

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 5:36:34 PM9/20/23
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:30:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
Maybe the NY Times can't compare it to the real thing and you can.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

cshenk

Sep 20, 2023, 5:38:17 PM9/20/23
Umm, US tea is not carbonated. Not even remotely. American pancakes
vary a fair amount but commonality is if just 'pancake' is said, it's
white flour. If we mean whole wheat flour, we say whole wheat
pancakes. If we used buckwheat, it's buckwheat pancakes.

Tarts are a far cry from pancakes.

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 6:45:40 PM9/20/23
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:38:00 +0000, "cshenk"
<csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>
>> But you have to understand. You, Americans, take food items from
>> Europe and change them, but don't change their name. Order a tea in
>> the US and you get a huge glass of mega sweet soda pop. That kinda
>> thing. Order a pancake in Hawaii and you get a multi-storied tart
>> thing that's dripping with sweet stuff. The cultural divide!
>
>Umm, US tea is not carbonated. Not even remotely. American pancakes
>vary a fair amount but commonality is if just 'pancake' is said, it's
>white flour. If we mean whole wheat flour, we say whole wheat
>pancakes. If we used buckwheat, it's buckwheat pancakes.
>
>Tarts are a far cry from pancakes.

I agree, but did you see dsi1's construction?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 20, 2023, 6:58:55 PM9/20/23
Come on man - live a little! Quit being such a tight ass.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NLcvUm9Yh5wG6p8T7

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 7:04:25 PM9/20/23
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 15:58:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
<dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 12:45:40 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:38:00 +0000, "cshenk"
>> <csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>> >Umm, US tea is not carbonated. Not even remotely. American pancakes
>> >vary a fair amount but commonality is if just 'pancake' is said, it's
>> >white flour. If we mean whole wheat flour, we say whole wheat
>> >pancakes. If we used buckwheat, it's buckwheat pancakes.
>> >
>> >Tarts are a far cry from pancakes.
>> I agree, but did you see dsi1's construction?
>>
>Come on man - live a little! Quit being such a tight ass.
>
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/NLcvUm9Yh5wG6p8T7

lol

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2023, 7:04:57 PM9/20/23
> Cindy Hamilton

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2023, 7:12:45 PM9/20/23
On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 4:32:19 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:21:05 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> I saw a documentary about the death penalty in the US. The female
> journalist was in a red state, maybe it was Texas, and ordered a tea,
> without specifying further. She got a small bucket of sweet ice tea.

It was her fault for not specifying sweet or unsweetened tea.

> >It's the same with soda pop/soft drinks. If you want Coke you have ask for it or if
> >you want 7-UP/Sprite/Sierra Mist, you have to ask for it. Root beer or an
> >orange soda is your choice, ask for it, the waitress doesn't know what you
> >want to drink.
> >
> I understand that you'll only get Sierra Mist (?) if you specifically
> ask for it.

True. Sierra Mist is just another 7-UP/Sprite knock-off.>

> >Pancakes generally come in a 'short stack' or regular pancakes or silver
> >dollar size. You gotta specify which ones you want. But I've not seen them
> >cut into wedges like David has shown in his photo.
> >
> Maybe one single pancake is to an American what one single bean is to
> a European?

This all depends on the restaurant you are eating in. Some have a breakfast
combo of eggs, bacon or sausage, and a pancake. Others even throw in hash
brown potatoes. You could even possibly say hold the hash browns and give
me another pancake. It's all in how the restaurant offers their breakfast menu.
But most anything if you're willing to pay for it, they'll cook it for you.

Regular pancakes, roughly speaking, are about 8 inches across. Silver dollar
pancakes are roughly 3 inches across.

Hank Rogers

Sep 20, 2023, 7:36:29 PM9/20/23
cshenk wrote:
> Not always! The majority of my eating is quite healthy but baco's just
> appeals to me at times.

By god, you need to never mention shit like that when you are
dealing with her royal highness. Will you never learn?

cshenk

Sep 20, 2023, 7:42:59 PM9/20/23
LOL, that pineapple linkage never made sense to me. Pineapple didn't
really seem a main element in Hawaiian cooking when I was there. Other
fruits were just as common.

Mom learned 'pineapple upside down cake' some time in the 50's. She was
born shortly after the 1929 stock market crash, it a still fairly
affluent family. She had a nanny, a cook and a laundry lady until she
was 5 or 6, then just a cook until age 12. She didn't like cooking but
perforce learned some things like making a cake from scratch (I did it
once when she showed me but I use box mixes now).

Mom learned a lot of really simple cooking skills based both on the
depression and the WWII allowances. Exceptionally frugal, she always
kept us 3 kids well fed. She had a box of toothpicks for testing the
pineapple upside down cake.

Lol, she'd wash the used toothpicks and dry them on the dish rack then
put them back in the box! She didn't call it Hawaiian cooking.

Hank Rogers

Sep 20, 2023, 7:53:23 PM9/20/23
I remember ordering iced tea in a fairly upscale boston
restaurant in the late 70's, or early 80's. I was on a business
trip.

I got a cup of hot tea, and some packets of sugar, and a glass
of ice. It was the best they could do back then. It wasn't
great, but good enough for me. They did the best they could.
That's all you can ask. Unless you're a professional bitch :)

Hank Rogers

Sep 20, 2023, 7:59:21 PM9/20/23
Awful cheeky talking to the master druce that way. Makes a
bloke think you're smarter than a dutch master.

Bruce

Sep 20, 2023, 8:56:41 PM9/20/23
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:12:41 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 4:32:19 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I saw a documentary about the death penalty in the US. The female
>> journalist was in a red state, maybe it was Texas, and ordered a tea,
>> without specifying further. She got a small bucket of sweet ice tea.
>>
>It was her fault for not specifying sweet or unsweetened tea.

She was English. She thought she'd get hot water and a tea bag, or
something similar. It's just an example of how y'all take a food
related word and change its meaning. That's not a crime or anything.
It's just a matter of getting used to it.

>> Maybe one single pancake is to an American what one single bean is to
>> a European?
>>
>This all depends on the restaurant you are eating in. Some have a breakfast
>combo of eggs, bacon or sausage, and a pancake. Others even throw in hash
>brown potatoes. You could even possibly say hold the hash browns and give
>me another pancake. It's all in how the restaurant offers their breakfast menu.
>But most anything if you're willing to pay for it, they'll cook it for you.
>
>Regular pancakes, roughly speaking, are about 8 inches across. Silver dollar
>pancakes are roughly 3 inches across.

I think the 8 inch version is universal. There's a smaller version,
maybe 3 inch, that Australians call Dutch pancakes. They tend to come
with powder sugar.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Ed P

Sep 20, 2023, 9:02:09 PM9/20/23
On 9/20/2023 7:42 PM, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

>> Big deal - yoose people take your regular food, add pineapple to it
>> and call it "Hawaiian." Yoose people haven't a clue about Hawaii.
>> Here's a real Hawaiian cake.
>>
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/BGsrBUPh4YY2TDSm7
>
> LOL, that pineapple linkage never made sense to me. Pineapple didn't
> really seem a main element in Hawaiian cooking when I was there. Other
> fruits were just as common.
>
> Mom learned 'pineapple upside down cake' some time in the 50's. She was
> born shortly after the 1929 stock market crash, it a still fairly
> affluent family. She had a nanny, a cook and a laundry lady until she
> was 5 or 6, then just a cook until age 12. She didn't like cooking but
> perforce learned some things like making a cake from scratch (I did it
> once when she showed me but I use box mixes now).
>
> Mom learned a lot of really simple cooking skills based both on the
> depression and the WWII allowances. Exceptionally frugal, she always
> kept us 3 kids well fed. She had a box of toothpicks for testing the
> pineapple upside down cake.
>
> Lol, she'd wash the used toothpicks and dry them on the dish rack then
> put them back in the box! She didn't call it Hawaiian cooking.

Monday night I had dinner at Rodizio, a Brazilian steak house. One of
the offerings was roasted pineapple. It was good.

I sometimes grill pineapple slices.

songbird

Sep 20, 2023, 10:12:57 PM9/20/23
cshenk wrote:
> Mom learned a lot of really simple cooking skills based both on the
> depression and the WWII allowances. Exceptionally frugal, she always
> kept us 3 kids well fed. She had a box of toothpicks for testing the
> pineapple upside down cake.
>
> Lol, she'd wash the used toothpicks and dry them on the dish rack then
> put them back in the box! She didn't call it Hawaiian cooking.

:) Grandma was similar. sent her kids to school with a
sandwich wrapped in newspaper with a string tied around it
and they had to bring the string back.

songbird

Michael Trew

Sep 20, 2023, 11:25:46 PM9/20/23
I used to tease my grandmother for washing and saving zip-loc bags...
Until I bought my first package of those things when I moved into my
house in 2019. Let us just say that I'm still on that first box of
bags. I reuse tin foil over and over, also.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2023, 11:28:33 PM9/20/23
On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 7:56:41 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:12:41 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 4:32:19 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> I saw a documentary about the death penalty in the US. The female
> >> journalist was in a red state, maybe it was Texas, and ordered a tea,
> >> without specifying further. She got a small bucket of sweet ice tea.
> >>
> >It was her fault for not specifying sweet or unsweetened tea.
> >
> She was English. She thought she'd get hot water and a tea bag, or
> something similar. It's just an example of how y'all take a food
> related word and change its meaning. That's not a crime or anything.
> It's just a matter of getting used to it.

If I were to go to Great Britain I'd know if I ordered biscuits it would not be
breakfast bread I'm used to seeing here. I'd not be shocked at all at them
bringing me cookies.

> >> Maybe one single pancake is to an American what one single bean is to
> >> a European?
> >>
> >This all depends on the restaurant you are eating in. Some have a breakfast
> >combo of eggs, bacon or sausage, and a pancake. Others even throw in hash
> >brown potatoes. You could even possibly say hold the hash browns and give
> >me another pancake. It's all in how the restaurant offers their breakfast menu.
> >But most anything if you're willing to pay for it, they'll cook it for you.
> >
> >Regular pancakes, roughly speaking, are about 8 inches across. Silver dollar
> >pancakes are roughly 3 inches across.
> >
> I think the 8 inch version is universal. There's a smaller version,
> maybe 3 inch, that Australians call Dutch pancakes. They tend to come
> with powder sugar.
>
> Bruce

Pancakes here can be ordered pretty much anyway you want them. Topped
with bananas or strawberries and powdered sugar and/or whipped cream if
you want them like that. A short stack of pancakes is generally 3 pancakes
whereas regular pancakes are 5 pancakes.

Michael Trew

Sep 20, 2023, 11:28:54 PM9/20/23
I've been to Bermuda when I got off of a cruise ship... does that not
count?? ;)

I've traveled across country, and the types of "tea" don't change. That
said, down south, sweet tea is by far the most popular. They really
give you a strange look when you ask for non-sweet tea south of Yankee
country. I usually just get water.

songbird

Sep 21, 2023, 2:11:07 AM9/21/23
Michael Trew wrote:
> I used to tease my grandmother for washing and saving zip-loc bags...
> Until I bought my first package of those things when I moved into my
> house in 2019. Let us just say that I'm still on that first box of
> bags. I reuse tin foil over and over, also.

we do reuse ziplock bags but we also use many
of them because of how much baking Mom does and
that she double bags them by the dozen to freeze
them or to give them away. probably use 500 or
more a year. plus we use the gallon freezer
sized so they are thicker.

i was the one who kept saying we should reuse
them before we finally did start using them again
for some things that we kept for us. now we will
have a stack of them in a drawer that are cleaned
and ready to go for using on the outside bag of
frozen things, plus i keep some for meat bags
when they are near end of life so that i can put
meat wrappers in them before putting it in the
trash - since i'm throwing them away anyways they
don't have to be as pristine.

songbird

Bruce

Sep 21, 2023, 2:17:09 AM9/21/23
On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:28:51 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/20/2023 5:18 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:02:52 -0400, Michael Trew
>> <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Let me school you, Mr. Never-Been-To-America... You must order "Sweet
>>> tea" for what you are describing (and yes, it is far too sweet for my
>>> taste). "Hot tea" would be European style "pond water", which is not
>>> terribly popular on this side of the "pond".
>>>
>>> "Iced tea" is ordered for non-sweetened cold tea. That's my preference
>>> of the three. Many call the latter "unsweetened" tea, which bothers me,
>>> because the name suggests the sugar was removed... When in fact, it was
>>> never added in the first place.
>>
>> Thank you for the information Mr. Never-Been-Out-Of-America. This is
>> very complicated and I bet it's different again in Texas.
>
>I've been to Bermuda when I got off of a cruise ship... does that not
>count?? ;)

Yes, if you did more than have a glass of water there :)

>I've traveled across country, and the types of "tea" don't change. That
>said, down south, sweet tea is by far the most popular. They really
>give you a strange look when you ask for non-sweet tea south of Yankee
>country. I usually just get water.

Aha :)

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 21, 2023, 5:19:11 AM9/21/23
How many is "practically all"? 80% 90%

DamnYankeeLand is quite a big swath of the U.S. How often do you
leave the South?

Of course, it's moot now, since even McDonald's sells sweet tea up here.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bryan Simmons

Sep 21, 2023, 7:14:27 AM9/21/23
You are arguing with Bruce the Worthless. Your time
would be better spent eating chicken, especially if you
could buy wings for 99 cents a pound. :-)

--Bryan

Bruce

Sep 21, 2023, 7:24:06 AM9/21/23
You have a nice day too, Bryan. Just don't torture any small animals
in your man cave.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 21, 2023, 4:14:32 PM9/21/23
On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 4:19:11 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2023-09-20, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >> >
> >> Not necessarily sweet tea. It was unknown here in DamnYankeeLand until
> >> the late 1990s or maybe a bit later. If you wanted sweetened iced tea in
> >> a restaurant, you had to stir in the sugar yourself.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>
> > "is readily available in  → practically ←   all restaurants in the USA;"
> >
> How many is "practically all"? 80% 90%
>
> DamnYankeeLand is quite a big swath of the U.S. How often do you
> leave the South?
>
> Of course, it's moot now, since even McDonald's sells sweet tea up here.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

"Of course, it's moot now, since even McDonald's sells sweet tea up here."
Thus you answered your own question.

bruce bowser

Sep 21, 2023, 4:26:26 PM9/21/23
I noticed that Micky D's pancakes now taste like bubble gum. Its pretty original.

GM

Sep 21, 2023, 4:32:49 PM9/21/23
Them Micky D's pancakes that taste like bubble gum are HAWAIIAN style flapjacks, bb...

--
GM

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 21, 2023, 5:06:46 PM9/21/23
McDonald's isn't "practically all restaurants". I'd have to look
pretty far to find a restaurant with metal silverware that served
sweet tea.

--
Cindy Hamilton

dsi1

Sep 21, 2023, 5:26:10 PM9/21/23
Look no further than Hawaii. When somebody orders ice tea in a restaurant here, the server will always ask "regular or sweetened?" Indeed, we're that sophisticated.

Bruce

Sep 21, 2023, 5:31:28 PM9/21/23
Why can't you wait to leave that wonderful place?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

dsi1

Sep 21, 2023, 5:44:19 PM9/21/23
A lot of people are leaving Hawaii because it's too expensive to live here. We could live here comfortably but a change of scenery/life/direction would be a good thing. My wife wants to live in the UK, I'm not disagreeable to that idea.

https://www.wnypapers.com/news/article/featured/2019/11/26/139274/the-price-of-paradise-why-many-hawaii-residents-are-forced-to-leave-home

Bruce

Sep 21, 2023, 5:51:07 PM9/21/23
On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:44:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
Yes, too expensive sucks. I'd like the UK, but I'd prefer Hawaii's or
Australia's weather. I've seen enough grey skies for the rest of my
life in South Tasmania.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bryan Simmons

Sep 21, 2023, 6:05:31 PM9/21/23
If you own a house that you could AirBnB or VRBO,
you could afford to live a lot of places. "Skippin'
over the ocean..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mAMHZ4gLcQ

--Bryan

dsi1

Sep 21, 2023, 6:30:57 PM9/21/23
A lot of people are selling their hovel in Hawaii and buying a mansion in Las Vegas. I don't think we could live in the desert though.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XygLithbiPQXBemq6

"Welcome to Las Vegas."

Bruce

Sep 21, 2023, 6:39:04 PM9/21/23
If I'd move to the US, Las Vegas would be last on my list.

Hank Rogers

Sep 21, 2023, 6:48:14 PM9/21/23
The mcdonalds in detroit probably also offer chitlins and
watermelon as well as tea.

Hank Rogers

Sep 21, 2023, 6:58:56 PM9/21/23
Tojo doesn't even have enough money to buy an airline or boat
ticket to leave da rock.

The hearing aide market collapsed recently, so he's broke as a
haint.

Hank Rogers

Sep 21, 2023, 8:37:25 PM9/21/23
dsi1 wrote:
> A lot of people are selling their hovel in Hawaii and buying a mansion in Las Vegas. I don't think we could live in the desert though.

Yeah. Asians don't live very long in the desert. In a jungle,
they do pretty well. Also thrive like cockroaches in big cities.

Yoose need to stay put Uncle.

jmcquown

Sep 21, 2023, 8:46:27 PM9/21/23
The thing about sweet tea is, despite what Bruce seems to think, not
everyone in the US drinks it. It doesn't matter if you add the sugar
yourself or ask for sweet tea, not everyone drinks it or even cares
about it. I know I don't.

Jill

Bruce

Sep 21, 2023, 10:08:36 PM9/21/23
On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 20:46:11 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I have no preconceived idea about how many Americans drink sweet tea.
I asked my artificially intelligent friend:
"Americans are known to love sweet tea. The average American drinks
3.8 gallons of iced tea per year, or about 10 cups per week."

He switched seamlessly from sweet tea to iced tea.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 21, 2023, 10:49:01 PM9/21/23
On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 5:48:14 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> The mcdonalds in detroit probably also offer chitlins and
> watermelon as well as tea.

Doubtful, very doubtful.

Ed P

Sep 21, 2023, 10:54:06 PM9/21/23
I fall in between. The commercial sweet tea is too sweet for me, but I
do put a little sugar in it.

I do drink 10 cups of hot tea a week, but only a few, if any, iced tea.
Water is almost always at my side though.

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2023, 12:21:54 AM9/22/23
On 9/21/2023 2:16 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:28:51 -0400, Michael Trew
> <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/20/2023 5:18 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Thank you for the information Mr. Never-Been-Out-Of-America. This is
>>> very complicated and I bet it's different again in Texas.
>>
>> I've been to Bermuda when I got off of a cruise ship... does that not
>> count?? ;)
>
> Yes, if you did more than have a glass of water there :)

Actually, I did. That was the one and only time that I've ever ordered
an alcoholic beverage. No, I have no clue what I bought. I only bought
something, because I was 18, and it was allowed (limit of 21 in the
US)... So why not, I guess?

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2023, 12:24:02 AM9/22/23
On 9/21/2023 5:06 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I've never seen a restaurant serving iced tea, but not sweet iced tea...
And yes, I've been to a number of restaurants. This is a rather odd
angle for you to argue, Cindy. I'm not going to joke about your fall,
but you have seemed a bit "off" recently.

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2023, 12:27:12 AM9/22/23
Almost never hot tea here. Usually just hot plain coffee or water.

I do like plain iced tea, but I sure don't drink anywhere near 10 cups
per week. Most places don't do a good job at it. It's too weak or
something. KFC actually has really good non-sweet iced tea.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 12:44:37 AM9/22/23
On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 00:21:52 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/21/2023 2:16 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 23:28:51 -0400, Michael Trew
>> <michae...@att.net> wrote:

>>> I've been to Bermuda when I got off of a cruise ship... does that not
>>> count?? ;)
>>
>> Yes, if you did more than have a glass of water there :)
>
>Actually, I did. That was the one and only time that I've ever ordered
>an alcoholic beverage. No, I have no clue what I bought. I only bought
>something, because I was 18, and it was allowed (limit of 21 in the
>US)... So why not, I guess?

And did you walk back to the ship on your hands?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 22, 2023, 5:18:58 AM9/22/23
On 2023-09-22, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> On 9/21/2023 5:06 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2023-09-21, itsjoan...@webtv.net<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Of course, it's moot now, since even McDonald's sells sweet tea up here."
>>> Thus you answered your own question.
>>
>> McDonald's isn't "practically all restaurants". I'd have to look
>> pretty far to find a restaurant with metal silverware that served
>> sweet tea.
>
> I've never seen a restaurant serving iced tea, but not sweet iced tea...

That's probably because you won't spend real money for a restaurant meal.
Or because the Mason-Dixon line runs through Toledo.

Come up to Michigan. I can show you hundreds of restaurants that
serve iced tea but not sweet tea.

> And yes, I've been to a number of restaurants.

Not nearly the number I've been to.

> This is a rather odd
> angle for you to argue, Cindy. I'm not going to joke about your fall,
> but you have seemed a bit "off" recently.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Sep 22, 2023, 9:08:07 AM9/22/23
The term "sweet tea" is not used here and "iced tea" is tea that has
been sweetened and usually has lemon flavor added. I was under the
impression that when Americans referred to sweet tea they were talking
about something that was syrupy sweet, but I guess it is no sweeter than
then the commercially made stuff sold here which I find to be way too
sweet for my tastes.

Canned iced tea was not available here when I was a kid. Iced tea was
typically black tea that had been cooled. It was usually slightly
sweetened and there would be slices if lemon in it. Since my mother
drank clear tea iced tea was not sugared. I prefer it unsweetened.

bruce bowser

Sep 22, 2023, 3:16:14 PM9/22/23
On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 7:04:57 PM UTC-4, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 4:28:24 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Sweet tea, unsweetened tea, and hot tea is readily available in practically
> > > all restaurants in the USA;
> > >
> > Not necessarily sweet tea. It was unknown here in DamnYankeeLand until
> > the late 1990s or maybe a bit later. If you wanted sweetened iced tea in
> > a restaurant, you had to stir in the sugar yourself.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >
> "is readily available in  → practically ←   all restaurants in the USA;"

Ann Arbor college town never did like anything having to do with artificial sweetners. No explanation needed there, Cindy.

cshenk

Sep 22, 2023, 4:56:40 PM9/22/23
Bruce wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:11:26 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 10:57:50 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> it and call it "Hawaiian." Yoose people haven't a clue about Hawaii.
> >> Here's a real Hawaiian cake.

> >> That's impressive. The girls seem to think so too.
> >>
> > Nobody's making Tuvalian pizza or Tuvalian cornbread.
>
> Lol, no. I've never even heard of Tuvalian anything (or Hawaiian
> cornbread).
>
> > Here's one of the best restaurants in the US according to The New
> > York Times. It's Hawaiian style food in that it's not high mucky
> > muck or pretentious.
> >
> > https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/tiffanys-wailuku
>
> I think I'd like Hawaiian cuisine, from what I've seen of it. I'd just
> skip the meat.

You would. Skipping the meat is easy. A significant portion of
Hawaiians eat seafood as their only meat which if I recall right, you
were ok with the occasional shrimp? Even if not, vegetarian options
are always there and they aren't just an after thought leafy salad.

bruce bowser

Sep 22, 2023, 5:01:21 PM9/22/23
On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 7:12:45 PM UTC-4, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 4:32:19 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:21:05 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> > <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> >
> > I saw a documentary about the death penalty in the US. The female
> > journalist was in a red state, maybe it was Texas, and ordered a tea,
> > without specifying further. She got a small bucket of sweet ice tea.
> >
> It was her fault for not specifying sweet or unsweetened tea.
> >
> > >It's the same with soda pop/soft drinks. If you want Coke you have ask for it or if
> > >you want 7-UP/Sprite/Sierra Mist, you have to ask for it. Root beer or an
> > >orange soda is your choice, ask for it, the waitress doesn't know what you
> > >want to drink.
> > >
> > I understand that you'll only get Sierra Mist (?) if you specifically
> > ask for it.
> >
> True. Sierra Mist is just another 7-UP/Sprite knock-off.>
> >
> > >Pancakes generally come in a 'short stack' or regular pancakes or silver
> > >dollar size. You gotta specify which ones you want. But I've not seen them
> > >cut into wedges like David has shown in his photo.
> > >
> > Maybe one single pancake is to an American what one single bean is to
> > a European?
> >
> This all depends on the restaurant you are eating in. Some have a breakfast
> combo of eggs, bacon or sausage, and a pancake. Others even throw in hash
> brown potatoes. You could even possibly say hold the hash browns and give
> me another pancake. It's all in how the restaurant offers their breakfast menu.
> But most anything if you're willing to pay for it, they'll cook it for you.

And a waitress ANYWHERE sure wouldn't turn you down for fear of a worse tip.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 5:08:12 PM9/22/23
Yes, I still eat seafood occasionally and they must have a lot of
that.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

cshenk

Sep 22, 2023, 5:09:41 PM9/22/23
Ed P wrote:

> On 9/20/2023 7:42 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
>
> > > Big deal - yoose people take your regular food, add pineapple to
> > > it and call it "Hawaiian." Yoose people haven't a clue about
> > > Hawaii. Here's a real Hawaiian cake.
> > >
> > > https://photos.app.goo.gl/BGsrBUPh4YY2TDSm7
> >
> > LOL, that pineapple linkage never made sense to me. Pineapple
> > didn't really seem a main element in Hawaiian cooking when I was
> > there. Other fruits were just as common.
> >
> > Mom learned 'pineapple upside down cake' some time in the 50's. She
> > was born shortly after the 1929 stock market crash, it a still
> > fairly affluent family. She had a nanny, a cook and a laundry lady
> > until she was 5 or 6, then just a cook until age 12. She didn't
> > like cooking but perforce learned some things like making a cake
> > from scratch (I did it once when she showed me but I use box mixes
> > now).
> >
> > Mom learned a lot of really simple cooking skills based both on the
> > depression and the WWII allowances. Exceptionally frugal, she
> > always kept us 3 kids well fed. She had a box of toothpicks for
> > testing the pineapple upside down cake.
> >
> > Lol, she'd wash the used toothpicks and dry them on the dish rack
> > then put them back in the box! She didn't call it Hawaiian cooking.
>

> Monday night I had dinner at Rodizio, a Brazilian steak house. One
> of the offerings was roasted pineapple. It was good.
>
> I sometimes grill pineapple slices.

Yes, and Hawaiians used them in many things after they were imported to
the islands fromSouth America. Michners movie on 'Hawaii'(Charlton
Hestin is lead male) has a fictional tale about it, they only know they
were imported around 1813. It's possible a ship rounded South America
and traded them for some other goods in Hawaii.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 5:13:16 PM9/22/23
The waitress may say yes, but the kitchen has to prepare it. I
actually never modify menu items. I order them as they are or not at
all.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 5:16:07 PM9/22/23
On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:09:27 +0000, "cshenk"
<csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>Ed P wrote:
>
>> Monday night I had dinner at Rodizio, a Brazilian steak house. One
>> of the offerings was roasted pineapple. It was good.
>>
>> I sometimes grill pineapple slices.
>
>Yes, and Hawaiians used them in many things after they were imported to
>the islands fromSouth America. Michners movie on 'Hawaii'(Charlton
>Hestin is lead male) has a fictional tale about it, they only know they
>were imported around 1813. It's possible a ship rounded South America
>and traded them for some other goods in Hawaii.

So pineapples aren't even from the same hemisphere as Hawaii. If that
isn't a reason to stop lumping Hawaiians and pineapples together, I
don't know what is.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

cshenk

Sep 22, 2023, 5:24:28 PM9/22/23
songbird wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> > Mom learned a lot of really simple cooking skills based both on the
> > depression and the WWII allowances. Exceptionally frugal, she
> > always kept us 3 kids well fed. She had a box of toothpicks for
> > testing the pineapple upside down cake.
> >
> > Lol, she'd wash the used toothpicks and dry them on the dish rack
> > then put them back in the box! She didn't call it Hawaiian cooking.
>
> :) Grandma was similar. sent her kids to school with a
> sandwich wrapped in newspaper with a string tied around it
> and they had to bring the string back.
>

> songbird

LOL! I've seen that! Elementary school lunches.

cshenk

Sep 22, 2023, 5:28:26 PM9/22/23
Michael Trew wrote:
> I used to tease my grandmother for washing and saving zip-loc bags...
> Until I bought my first package of those things when I moved into my
> house in 2019. Let us just say that I'm still on that first box of
> bags. I reuse tin foil over and over, also.

I prop washed zip-locs over coffee cups to dry. Tin foil, I don't save.

cshenk

Sep 22, 2023, 5:38:12 PM9/22/23
Michael Trew wrote:

> On 9/20/2023 5:18 PM, Bruce wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Sep 2023 17:02:52 -0400, Michael Trew
> ><michae...@att.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Let me school you, Mr. Never-Been-To-America... You must order
> > > "Sweet tea" for what you are describing (and yes, it is far too
> > > sweet for my taste). "Hot tea" would be European style "pond
> > > water", which is not terribly popular on this side of the "pond".
> > >
> > > "Iced tea" is ordered for non-sweetened cold tea. That's my
> > > preference of the three. Many call the latter "unsweetened" tea,
> > > which bothers me, because the name suggests the sugar was
> > > removed... When in fact, it was never added in the first place.
> >
> > Thank you for the information Mr. Never-Been-Out-Of-America. This is
> > very complicated and I bet it's different again in Texas.
>
> I've been to Bermuda when I got off of a cruise ship... does that not
> count?? ;)
>
> I've traveled across country, and the types of "tea" don't change.
> That said, down south, sweet tea is by far the most popular. They
> really give you a strange look when you ask for non-sweet tea south
> of Yankee country. I usually just get water.

LOL, yes, they'd look at you kinda funny over here for unsweet tea.
'jus taint fittin!'

cshenk

Sep 22, 2023, 5:42:27 PM9/22/23
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On 2023-09-21, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net>
> wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 4:19:11 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> DamnYankeeLand until >> >> the late 1990s or maybe a bit later. If
> you wanted sweetened iced tea in >> >> a restaurant, you had to stir
> in the sugar yourself. >> >>

> the USA;" >> >
> >> How many is "practically all"? 80% 90%
> >>
> >> DamnYankeeLand is quite a big swath of the U.S. How often do you
> >> leave the South?
> >>
> >> Of course, it's moot now, since even McDonald's sells sweet tea up
> here. >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> > >
> > "Of course, it's moot now, since even McDonald's sells sweet tea up
> > here." Thus you answered your own question.
>
> McDonald's isn't "practically all restaurants". I'd have to look
> pretty far to find a restaurant with metal silverware that served
> sweet tea.

Um, here they do. Unsweet may not be available.

Bruce

Sep 22, 2023, 5:47:33 PM9/22/23
Unsweetened just ain't American!

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Sep 22, 2023, 5:59:31 PM9/22/23
You're kidding, right? Even in the deep South you can get unsweetened
iced tea in restaurants. Of course I'm *not* talking about McDonald's.

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 22, 2023, 6:42:28 PM9/22/23
On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 2:16:14 PM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:

> Ann Arbor college town never did like anything having to do with artificial sweetners.

Who said anything about artificial sweeteners? Nobody.
It is loading more messages.